genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p239.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
JOHN WEISER, one of the prominent and representative agriculturists of Christian County, who is now practically living a retired life in Sharpsburg, Buckhart Township, was born in Darmstadt, Germany, November 30, 1828, and is a son of Philip and Mary M. (Kimberling) Weiser, who were also natives of the same locality. The father was a farmer by occupation, and carried on that business in his native land until 1838, when he crossed the briny deep to the New World, locating in Pennsylvania, where he spent two years. In 1841 he came to Illinois, locating in Cass County, where he entered land from the Government and began the development of a farm. His death there occurred at the age of sixty-two years. His wife survived him for a number of years and reached the advanced age of eighty-four.

This worthy couple had a family of nine children, numbering five sons and four daughters, of whom our subject is fourth in order of birth. His earliest recollections are of the Fatherland, but when he was a lad of ten summers his parents left the Old Country, and he has since known no other place of abode than his American home. Since his thirteenth year he has lived in Illinois. Upon his father's farm in Cass County he was reared to manhood, acquiring his education in the public schools of the neighborhood. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey, Mr. Weiser chose Miss Anna D. Musch, a native of Germany. Their union was celebrated in 1852, and has been blessed by four children, of whom only two are yet living: Louis P. and Otto N.

Mr. Weiser's residence in Christian County dates from 1859. On his arrival he located upon a partially improved farm on section 33, Buckhart Township, and began its further development and cultivation. He labored with untiring zeal, and his industrious efforts soon transformed it into a tract of rich fertility. It now comprises three hundred and forty-five acres, of which twenty-five acres are timber-land, while the remainder is divided into fields of convenient size for raising the cereals adapted to this climate. Recently Mr. Weiser has removed to Sharpsburg, where he is living retired in the enjoyment of the rest which should follow years of active labor. Through his own efforts he has acquired a handsome competency, which now enables him to lay aside business cares and surrounds him with all the comforts that go to make life worth the living. In politics he is a supporter of Republican principles, but has never sought or desired public office, preferring to devote his time and attention to business interests and the enjoyments of the home circle.
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails