genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
SAMUEL F. WINTERS, one of the well-known citizens of Pana Township, residing on section 20, where he owns and operates a good farm, has been a resident of the community for a quarter of a century, having located here in the year 1867. Since that time many changes have taken place in the county, and the work of development and progression has been steadily carried forward. He always bears his part in everything tending to promote the best interests of the community, and is therefore recognized as a valued citizen.

Mr. Winters was born in Scott County, Ill., near Winchester, September 27, 1841, and comes of an old Virginian family. His grandfather, Rev. Nathan Winters, was a native of Virginia and was of Scotch-Irish descent. He became one of the pioneer settlers of what is now St. Clair County, Ill., coming to this State when it was yet a Territory.

He entered land and began the development of a farm, but after a time removed to North Missouri, which was also then a Territory. There he again secured Government land and devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits.

He was a preacher of the Baptist Church, and a very prominent man of his day. He took a great delight in the chase, especially in fox-hunting. His death, the result of an injury on horseback, occurred when he was seventy-eight years of age.

Joshua C. Winters, father of our subject, was born in what is now St. Clair County, Ill., during the territorial days of the State, and after his marriage removed to Scott County, where he located on a farm. He served as a Lieutenant in the Mexican War, and during the late war he became a member of the Fifty-ninth Illinois Infantry, of which he was made Lieutenant-Colonel. He first raised a company in Illinois, and then joined the Ninth Missouri Infantry, but was afterwards made Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fifty-Ninth Regiment of Illinois Volunteers, as above stated. After three years' service he resigned and returned to Greene County, Ill., where he resumed farming.

In 1883, he removed to Whitehall [ed, White Hall, IL], where he is now living a retired life. He supports the Republican party and at one time took quite a prominent part in politics, holding many offices.

The Winters family numbers seven sons: Frank M., now of Whitehall, Ill.; Samuel F., of this sketch; G. L., an attorney of Trenton, Mo.; Solon, of Assumption; Josiah, Joseph us and Byron, all of Whitehall [ed, White Hall, IL].

The subject of this sketch was reared in Morgan and Scott Counties, and continued to give his father the benefit of his services until the war broke out, when, in 1861, he enlisted and was assigned to Company A, Sixty-first Illinois Infantry, with which he remained for two and a-half years, participating in many important battles, among others that of Shiloh. He was then discharged at Bulwer, Tenn., but re-enlisted the same year in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-third Infantry, as a private. He continued with that command until mustered out in 1864. He was a faithful and valiant soldier. The country has cause to gratefully remember her boys in blue who defended the Union and placed the United States of America in the foremost rank among the countries of the world.

Mr. Winters came to Christian County in 1864, and at once turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. March 25, 1867, he was united in marriage with Miss Laura F., daughter of Harrison and Martha (Kirgan) Day, and a native of Carrollton, Greene County, Ill., born April 1, 1849. They began their domestic life upon a farm in Pana Township, which has since been their residence, and their home has been blessed with the presence of four sons and one daughter: Byron N., Forest D. M., Jessie E., Sydney F. and Colonel Logan.

Mr. Winters carries on general farming, owning one hundred and eighty-one acres of rich land, which is all under a high state of cultivation and in return for his care and labor yields to him a good income. In addition he also engages in auctioneering. He is a man of good business ability and has met with success in his undertakings.

In politics, he is a Republican and is now serving as Assistant Supervisor of Pana Township. Socially, he is a member of Pope Post No. 411, G. A. R., of Pana, and is a member of the Pana Protective Association. A valiant defender of his country, a faithful citizen in times of peace, and a practical and progressive agriculturist, he well deserves representation in this volume.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails