genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p223.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
JULIUS A. WOLFF is one of the energetic business men of Morrisonville, being a dealer, packer and shipper of poultry and eggs. During the summer season he gives employment to about twelve men, and in the winter to about fifty hands. He has been engaged in this branch of business for a number of years and has become fairly conversant with its details.

 The birth of Mr. Wolff occurred in Davenport, Iowa, May 2, 1864, his parents being Joachim and Julia (Hensen) Wolff, who were natives of Hamburg, Germany. The former was a merchant tailor in the Fatherland and came to America about 1840. He settled in Davenport, Iowa, where he died in 1886, at the age of about seventy-five years. During the late war he served as a member of the Davenport regiment, and in one engagement was badly wounded. His father, Michael D. Wolff, died in Germany when over ninety years of age. The mother of our subject passed from this life in Burlington, when she had attained the age of seventy years. Both parents were members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

 Julius A. Wolff is one of five children, three daughters and two sons, only two of whom arc now living. His only sister, Carolina, is the wife of Nicholas Lau, and is a resident of Burlington, Iowa. Our subject was only five years of age when his parents removed from Davenport to Burlington, where he was reared to manhood and received his education. Upon completing his studies he obtained a position as book-keeper for the Orchard City Packing House, of Burlington, and remained in the employ of that firm for eight years and a-half. Going to Chicago, Mr. Wolff became a commercial traveler for the firm of Oppenheimer Casing & Co. (artificial sausage-casing).

 The first commercial venture of our subject was in 1886, when he entered into partnership with C. E. Hensen, and opened a poultry and produce shippers' office in Virden, Ill. In time they enlarged their business and opened branch houses at Carlinville, Farmersville and Morrisonville. At the end of a year they dissolved partnership, Mr. Wolff taking the Morrisonville and Farmersville houses, and Mr. Hensen keeping the other two branches. In addition to his business interests, Mr. Wolff has money invested in good property in Farmersville and Morrisonville. He possesses good business ability and is making a success of his various enterprises.

 On the 24th of September, 1887, a marriage ceremony was performed by which Miss Augusta Hensen became the wife of Mr. Wolff. She is a daughter of Frederick and Magdalene (Westphall) Hensen. In politics, Mr. Wolff is a Democrat and is greatly interested in the success of that party. Since casting his lot with the citizens of this place he has been active in promoting her best interests and is a public-spirited man. He is upright and exact in his business dealings, and for that reason makes friends of his patrons.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails