The History of
Crawford and Clark County
W. H. Perrin, O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883
CASEY TOWNSHIP -BOUNDARIES—GENERAL TOPOGRAPHY—SOIL-STREAMS—EARLY SETTLEMENT— INCIDENTS—VIGILANCE COMMITTEE -PIONEER LIFE—CONDITION OF THE COUNTRY—INDIANS—MILLS—VILLAGE OF CUMBERLAND VILLAGE OF CASEY—SECRET SOCIETIES—SCHOOL HISTORY— RELIGIOUS, ETC., ETC
"So many years have traveled o'er me, I and the story are old." —Bushwell
THE Township of Casey lies in the southwestern part oi' Clark County and has a geographical area of thirty-six square miles. It is bounded on the north by Parker Township, on the east by Martinsville, on the south by Johnson, on the west by Cumberland County, and was known in the Congressional survey as town 10 north, range 14 west. The north fork of the Embarras traverses the southeast corner from north to south, entering the township in section 24, and leaving from section 36. Quarry's Branch rises near the western boundary of the township and flows a southeasterly direction, through an irregular channel, and empties into the north fork in section 25. The northeastern part of the township is watered and drained by Turkey Run, which has its source in section 3. It flows a southeasterly course through sections 10, 11, 13, and unites with the north fork near the eastern boundary line in section 24. These streams, with their smaller affluent, afford the principal drainage for the entire area of the township, and were important factors in the country's development. The greater portion of the township is a beautiful prairie, which for fertility can not be surpassed by any similar amount of territory in the county. The soil, which is a deep black loam, is unsurpassed for agricultural purposes and produces large crops of corn, as well as the other cereals, without the aid of fertilizers or artificial stimulants of any kind. With a judicious rotation of crops, the land could be cultivated for an indefinite period, without any serious deterioration in its productive qualities. The prairies in their natural state were very wet, owing to the impervious nature of the clay sub-soil, and covered with a growth of grass so dense as to completely exclude the sun's rays from the ground. At that time the country gave but little promise of what it has since attained by being brought under cultivation. The broken land of the township is Restricted to the northeast corner and to a narrow belt skirting Turkey Run. The greater portion of this land has been cleared of the heavy growth of timber with which it was originally covered and brought under cultivation, and in its productive qualities it ranks with the prairie soil, especially in the growth of wheat. Agriculture is the chief resource of the township, although considerable attention has of late years been paid to stock-raising, which is rapidly coming to the front as an industry.
The settlement of Cumberland by white men dates from the construction of the National Road through its territory, from which it also took its name. This thoroughfare crosses the township diagonally in a southwesterly direction, and was the chief means of inducing immigration to this locality by affording easy communication with other parts of the country. No sooner had the road been constructed than a line of settlements sprang up along it, consisting principally of workmen who moved here for the purpose of securing employment. Several of these transient settlers made considerable improvements in the way of breaking ground around their cabins; but as soon as work on the road suspended, they moved to other places. The first entry of land was made in the year 1830 by Ewing Chancellor on the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 20. Chancellor did not move to his land until about five years later, nor did he make any improvements before becoming a resident of the township. The first permanent settler was John Doughty, who located near the present site of Cumberland Village about the year 1833, as near as could be ascertained. Too much can not be said in praise of this staunch old pioneer who did as much, if not more, than any other man toward building up the township and developing its resources. He immigrated to this State from Indiana and was the first preacher to locate in the western part of the county. He was a member of the Baptist church and assisted in organizing the first religious society that had an existence in Cumberland, and watched over the flock with a fatherly interest for a period of more than forty years. He died about the year 1878. Anderson Arnold came to the country about the same year as the foregoing, but located, further south on what is now known as Quarry's Branch, in section 28. But little is known of this man, save that he improved a farm on which he lived but few years, when he sold out and moved to Coles County. As far as known, the two persons mentioned were the only permanent residents within the present limits of Cumberland Township until the year 1834, at which time Silas Whitehead settled on the National Road, about one mile and a half from the eastern boundary. Whitehead was a native of North Carolina, but went to Indiana in 1817, when quite a young man. He married in the Hoosier State about the year 1831, and soon after emigrated to Illinois and located in the southern part of Edgar County. He lived in Edgar County until the year 1834, when he moved to this township and secured a position as superintendent on the National Road, which he held as long as the appropriations for the work held out. When the work on the road ceased, he entered a tract of land in section 11, which was his home until 1854, at which time he moved to Marshall. His son, Silas Whitehead, is the editor of the Eastern Illinoisan and one of the leading attorneys of Clark County.
In the year 1835 Joshua Chancellor entered land in section 31 near the present town plat of Cumberland. He is a native of Kentucky and emigrated to Illinois in company with his father about the year 1829, settling first near Martinsville. He has been a resident of the township since the year 1835, and has been prominently identified with the country's progress and development. The same year that Chancellor came to the township witnessed the arrival of James O. Hedges and his son James V. Hedges, who settled in the National road in the eastern part on section 13. The Hedges came from Ohio, and were men of some note in the early history of the township. James O. Hedges remained here about twelve years when he moved back to his native State. James V. was a man of more than ordinary education and for a number of years was one of the leading citizens in his community. He took an active part in establishing schools in the township and the cause of education found in him a warm fiddled and strong advocate. He accumulated a good property during his residence in the township and died in the year 1860. Prominent among the early pioneers of Cumberland was Asa W. Dolson who came to the county about the year 1836. He settled in section 15, where he entered a tract of land, but being unfitted for the rough work on a farm he sold the place after an occupancy of about six years, and moved back to Ohio. Dolson had been a prominent business man in his native State and was induced to move here on account of financial embarrassments.
About this time came .John S. Hix, a Virginian, who located here for the purpose of securing employment on the National Road. Hix had been a man of some note in his younger days, having served in the army of General Wayne as commander of a regiment. At that time he could not have been placed in the calendar of saints, and his regiment was characterized as the " Hell scrapings," being mostly made up of convicts, prisoners and hard characters general. He resided in this township for several years, and afterward moved to the township of Orange where he entered land, and made considerable improvements. Being of a roving and adventurous turn, he soon tired of the tame life of a farmer, and disposed of his place, and went to the far-away State of Oregon. His death occurred in that State about the year 181:2. In the year 1836 the following persons were added to the population of the township, Thomas Scholfield, Henry Bromwell, John and William Chism, Addison Barbour and William Shook.
The first named came to the county as early as the year 1828, and settled in Melrose Township. He moved near Martinsville in the year 1832 where he entered land on which he lived until the year 1835, at which time he entered land in this township, and moved to it in the early part of 1836. He lived here about twenty years when he sold and moved to Oregon where he still resides. Bromwell came from Baltimore and was a man of intelligence and considerable note. He entered land in section 15, and was a resident of the township for twenty years. His son H. P. H. Bromwell settled in the township the same year, but remained only a short time. He afterward moved to Denver, Colorado, where he became a prominent lawyer, and was elected a member of Congress from that city. The Chisms moved to the State from Ohio, and selected homes in section 28. John resided here for about twenty years when he sold out and went back to Ohio. William made but few improvements, and spent the greater part of his time hunting, in which he was a great expert. Shook was a native of North Carolina, but had lived in Indiana a number of years before immigrating to this State. He settled first in Edgar County, but moved to this township a few years later and entered land in section 36. He was a resident of Cumberland about four years, when he sold his land to John Sloan and moved to Dolson Township, where he died a few years ago at an advanced age.
Addison Barbour was a native of Delaware, Ohio, where he had gained considerable prominence as a physician. He came to this country for the purpose of practicing his profession, as there was a great deal of sickness among the settlers at that time, especially malarial disease caused by the abundance of decayed vegetable matter on the prairies, and the wet condition of the ground. He located near the site of the village of Cumberland, and for- a number of years had ample opportunities of testing his scientific knowledge on the numerous cases of ague and other complaints with which the settlements were afflicted. He continued the practice of his profession in this township until about the year 1852 at which time he moved back to his native city where he died many 3 years ago.
Settlements were made in the township during the later of the year 1836 by William Sullivan in section 19, and Levi Mumford who located in the vicinity of Cumberland on the National Road. Sullivan entered land and improved a good farm but remained in the township only a short time. Mumford was rather a peculiar character, whose greatest delight was in hunting and he achieved quite a reputation as a skillful marksman.
Among the early settlers deserving of special mention was Dixon Cobb who came to the township about the year 1817 and settled in the northern part on section 3 where he entered land and improved quite an extensive farm. He was a native of Virginia, a man of Herculean strength, of strict integrity but of an imperious and overbearing disposition. At that time there was a set of rough characters living at the village of Martinsville, who kept the community in a constant state of alarm on account of their numerous acts of lawlessness. Upon the arrival of a new-comer into the country the first act of these desperadoes would be to "test his metal " or fiffhtinar qualities, and if a person showed any disposition to resent their conduct he generally met with a summary punishment. But few cared to gain the ill-will of this crowd and they were usually allowed to have their own way. Cab, though a peaceable man, took as much delight in a knock-down as the champion of a prize ring, and in several bouts with the Martinsville bullies convinced them that he was not a man to be intimidated or trifled with. Thev soon learned the man thoroughly and his presence in the village was sufficient to insure quiet during the time of his stay. He was a man who took great interest in fine stock and had a span of beautiful horses that were his especial pride. It is related that upon one occasion a suspicious character took one of those horses from the barn yard and rode it off in broad daylight. Cobb saw the man making off, and hastily mounting the remaining horse, started in rapid pursuit. For several miles the race was kept up at break-neck speed with the advantage slightly in Cobb's favor. The thief was finally overtaken and secured, but the noble horse had been run so hard that it died a few hours later. The man was taken to Darwin, at that time the countv seat, and lodged in jail. In the trial that followed the thief was acquitted on some technicality which so exasperated Cobb that he determined to clear the country of all horse thieves and suspicious characters generally. By this time the public mind was also somewhat aroused on account of various acts of thievery and at the suggestion of Cobb a vigilance committee was formed. A number of persons suspected of crookedness were visited and warned that if certain occurrences were repeated they would be summirily dealt with. This mild manner of procedure did not suit the hot blooded Cobb, who insisted that all suspicious persons should be publicly whipped, which caused some dissension in the ranks of the regulators, many of whom were not in favor of resorting to summary measures. A committee was appointed from this body to consider the differences and after some deliberation concluded not to accept Mr. Cobb's view of the matter, a decision which gave rise to a bitter feeling between Mr. Cobb and members of the committee. Criminations and recriminations ensued, in the course of which Mr. Cobb charged Mr. Shook with stealing hogs,whereupon the latter resorceil to legal redress and brought a suit for slander. The case was bitterly contested and drew its slow length along through several terms of court, enlisting tlio interest ol' the entire coraniunity in tlie wijstcrn part of the county. The suit was finally terminated by a verdict of ten dolhirs in favor of Mr. Shook. The popular verdict, however, was so marked against Mr. Cobb that he soon after sold his possessions and left the country. He moved near Vincennes, Indiana, where several descendants of the family still reside. His son, T. R. Cobb, was elected to Congress from Vincennes.
During the year 1837 the following entries were made in the township: Chester E. Fitch, section 15; Levi Morris, section 2; .John Kelso, same section; John Davis, section 1; John Fitzgerald, section 3; W. J. Wilson, section 4; John Montgomery, section 10; Joseph Burch, section 10; Jacob Foltz, section 24; Joseph Atkins, section 36: Isaac Russell, section 20; P. and J. Peters, in section 34. The first three named did not improve their lands, and were never identified with the township in the capacity of citizens. Davis was a man of great energy and determination, and became a prominent farmer of the township. He was characterized by an inordinate love of his own opinions, and his stubbornness became proverbial throughout the community. He moved to Texas just previous to the war, and died in the army during the War of the Rebellion. Of Fitzgerald and Wilson but little was learned. Montgomery was a native of Ohio, and lived in the township until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he joined the army and died in defense; of his country. Of the other parties alluded to but little was learned save the fact that they all became owners of considerable tracts of real estate, and were rather prominently identified with the country's irrowth and development. Other settlers who came in prior to 1840, were David Weisner, who settled on section 34, Thomas Armstrong, on section 2; James Lang, on section 19, where ho lived until 1852, at which time he sold out and moved to California; James Skaggs, section 28, near the Whitehead farm; Amos Carlin, a native of Ohio, on section 36; William Fisher, section 21, where he still resides, one of the prominent citizens of the township; and John Ryan, on section 13. The last-named was a man of unusual thrift, and had been considerable of a politician in Ohio before emigrating to this State, having served as sheriff of his native county several terms. He lived here for a number of years, and gained the reputation of being a reputable citizen during the period of his residence. Other settlers came in from time to time, but a mention of their names would far transcend the limits of our space. By the year 1842 the population had increased quite rapidly along the National Road, and in the northern sections of the township.
In the early history of the country, everything among the pioneers was plain, simple and in conformity with the strictest economy. This was not only true of their dwellings, furniture and provisions, but also of their clothing. For several years both men and women wore almost exclusively apparel of home-made manufacture. Cotton goods were extremely scarce and difficult to obtain, on account of the exorbitant price demanded for them. As a consequence the pioneers found this one of the hardest demands to meet. Many were the expedients devised by them, especially by the frugal and economical dames; for ever since that unsuccessful experiment devised by mother Eve, of preparing an entire wardrobe from fig leaves, women have been greatly gifted in laying plans and adopting expedients in the matter of clothing. But clothing was one of the smallest considerations at that day, beyond a sufficiency to keep one warm, and the supplying of bread and meat were of far more importance, and often puzzled the pioneers to obtain it for their families. For several years farming was conducted on rather a limited sale, owing to the wet condition of the soil, which precluded the possibility of raising any crop, save a little corn of a very poor tjuality. Meat was more easily obtained and furnished the greater part of the settler's fare, as game of all kinds was very plenty, especially deer and prairie chickens, the latter of which would often alight on the cabin roofs in large flocks. Wolves wore the common enemy of man and beast, and roved over the country in such numbers as to prove very destructive to the farmers' stock, which could only be protected from them by being securely penned at night in high enclosures. To rid the country of these pests, wolf hunts were organized by the neighbors, who all turned out on certain occasions with horses and dogs, and many exciting scenes were often enjoyed in these wild chases. Another source of annoyance to the pioneer farmer was the prairie flies, which swarmed over the country in such vast numbers as to render working by day almost impossible; hence much of the farm labor had to be done bv night. To protect the horses against the attacks of the "green-heads," they were rubbed with strong brine, which was the best protection that could be devised. As the country became more thickly populated and the prairies brought under cultivation, the flies disappeared and but few are now to be seen in the country.
At the time of the first settlement of the township by the whites, remnants of the Kickapoo, Pottawatomie and Winnebago tribes of Indians were encamped on the North Fork and Turkey Run, near the eastern boundary. They came here during certain seasons of the year for the purpose of hunting and were very civil in their demeanor toward the settlers, with whom they bartered skins, venison, beads, moccasins, etc., for calico, pork and various other articles. Through the efforts of missionaries the majority of these Indians had become Christianized and sustained churches among themselves. In the observance of their religious rites they were very strict, and punished with severity any infraction of their rules, such as pilfering, lying and Sabbath breaking. It is related that upon one occasion during religious services, a squaw was detected in the act of cuttirg hair off a deerskin. This grave offense called down upon her the wrath of the pious braves, who could not allow such a flagrant breach of decorum and Sabbath breaking to go unpunished. At the conclusion of the services the luckless olTender was tied to a post and cruelly punished with thirty severe lashes on the bare back. The Indians discontinued their annual visits to this part of the county about the year 1842, since which none have been seen in the western portion of the county.
The nearest places where groceries and other supplies could be obtained during the early history of the township were the towns of York and Darwin, at that time mere hamlets. Some of the early settlers hauled their products to Terre Haute, a town at the time we speak of about as large as the present village of Casey. The first thought of the pioneer after securing a home for himself and his family, was a mill, where he might obtain bread for his dear ones. Owing to the absence of facilities no mills were erected in this division of the county, and the settlers were obliged to rely upon the little horse mills of the surrounding townships for their breadstuffs. A small horse mill was built a short distance west of Casey in Cumberland County, and was for a number of years extensively patronized by the citizens of this part of the county. In order to get their grinding done people were obliged to take provisions with them and remain at the mill sometimes as long as two and three days awaiting their respective turns.
The town of Cumberland was laid out by Ewing; Chancellor and John Doughty, and dates its history from the year 1841 it was an outgrowth of the National Road and is situated in the western part of the township on the northeast quarter of section twenty. The first house in the village was a log building erected by John Chancellor for the twofold purpose of store and dwelling. Chancellor brought on a good stock of goods, and for about ten years did quite an extensive business, when he sold out to Doughty & Co. During the early years of the village it became a prominent trading point and furnished supplies to the sparsely settled country for many miles around owing to its distance from towns of any considerable size. The early travel oa the National Road, at that time being quits extensive, maele the town a favorite stopping place, and it grew quite rapidly and soon gained considerable prominence. A number of machanics settled in the village in an early day, among whom was James Wilson, who erected the first blacksmith shop in the township, which he operated for several years. A post-office was established here a short time prior to the platting of the town, and Ewing Chancellor appointed postmaster. The post-office was named for Hon. Jr. Casey, at that time United States Senator from Illinois. The last store in the village was kept by John Chancellor, who continued in business until the town of Casey sprang into existence about the year 1853. The first election in the precinct of which tlie township originally formed a part was hold inthe town of Cumberland, in the year 1S3S, when Ewing Chancellor and Mr. Daves were elected justices of the peace, and John G. Brown and Joshua Chancellor, constables. The village continued to grow apace until the town of Casey was laid out, when its business interests were absorbed by the latter place.
Casey is situated on the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 29, and was surveyed by D. H. Heimer, .March, 1854:, for John Cole, proprietor of the land. The first building on the original plat of the village was a hotel which was erected by John Lang for the accommodation of travelers on the National road. Lang was a native of Scotland and a man of more than ordinary information and intelligence. He kept the hotel until the time of his death, a few years ago. Among the first persons to purchase lots and erect buildings in the village were William Gordon, William Kline and John Anderson. The first store was started by John Cole who erected a house for the purpose in the eastern part of the town. His stock consisted of a miscellaneous assortment of merchandise, and he was in business about three years when he closed out, and left the village. J. M. Ryan kept the second store, which he operated very successfully for a period of six years, when he sold out to other parties. Among the early merchants of the place were Thomas Chancellor, H. A. Boyd and M. Sanford, the last two of whom are still in business in the village. The completion of the Vandalia railroad through the country gave the town new impetus and its growth since that time has been rapid and substantial. A number of large brick business houses have been erected, and at the present time the town is considered the second place as a trading point in the county.
The village was incorporated on the 13th day of May, in the year 1871, when the following board of trusties were elected: Lon Archer, Shannon Wilson, A. J. Snavidy and Rufus Neal. H. A. Boyd was elected president of the board, Thomas Ensign, clerk, David Coffman, town constable, and Wash. Sanford, treasurer. The present officers are the following: "Wash. Sanford, president, John Brooks, clerk, H. G. Morris, police magistrate, Silas B. Tippey, police constable, William Echelberry, Charles Weckeriman, .John F. Emerick, R. A. Young and James Ernely, trustees.
The Casey mill was erected in the year 1869 by Rufus Neal, and is the only mill of any kind in the town or township. It is a three story building operated by steam, has four run of buhrs, and with elevator attached is valued at $9,000. The present owners are Baughman and son, who are doing an extensive business, and under their management the mill has gained qiiite a reputation.
A bank was started in the village in the year 1873 by David Steeples. It was known as the Home bank, and for four years did a very flourishing business. Steeples had good credit and large deposits were placed in his bank, but being of a speculative turn he used considerable of this money in his ventures, and as a consequence became financially embarrassed and was obliged to quit the business owing to his inability to meet the demands made upon him.
The Casey Bank was started in the year 1874: by Chas. Clement of Rutland, Vermont, with a capital stock of $50,000. Clement being the principal stockholder, this bank was run until the year 1877, at which time it was discontinued. Fugua and Sanford engaged in the banking business in the year 1877, and continued very successfully until 1879, when the entire interest was bought by Fugua. It has been run since that time by Fugua and son, who are doing a very good business. J. O. Fugua is the present cashier.
A publication known as the Casey Times was started in the year 1872 by John Garrison and B. F. Ward. It was a six-column quarto and soon reached a handsome circulation. H. A. Boyd purchased Garrison's interest about seven months after the scheme was inaugurated, and one year later Ward became sole proprietor. The paper was started as an independent publication, but under the management of Ward it was run on the Greenback basis, and afterward merged into a fullfledged Democratic sheet. This vacillating course proved very displeasing to the Republicans, who refused to renew their subscriptions. Ward continued the paper under many difficulties until the year 1878, when the office was moved to Marshall and merged into the Illinoisun. A second paper, known as the Exponent, was started in the year 1877, by a stock company, under the management of Edward Hitclicock. This paper was Republican and outspoken in its sentiments. It was continued here during the fall and winter of 1878, when the office was moved to Mount Huron, where it is still run under the editorial management of Hitchcock.
The Casey Advocate was started, June, 1881, by H. G. Morris. It is a six-column quarto, run on an independent basis and issued weekly. Mr. Morris has labored earnestly and spared no pains in order to give the people a paper worthy of their patronage, and his independent manner of treating the subjects of the day has won for him many favorable comments from the brethren of the quill elsewhere. The present circulation of the paper is seven hundred and fifty.
The Casey Banner was started, January, 1879, by B. F. Ward. It is a six-column quarto, issued weekly, and is independent in politics. Its subscription list, which is already large, is constantly increasing, and the paper is rapidly growing in favor. Its present circulation is between six and seven hundred.
Casey Lodge, No. 442, A. F. and A. M., dates its history from October 4, 1865, at which time the charter was granted by the Grand Lodge then in session at Springfield. On the charter are the following names of original members: J. M. McClary, J. W. Williace, G. S. Henderson, John Closson, Henry Sherman, A. S. Ross, John Wolford, William Carlisle, A. Jacobs, M. Jacobs, A. W. MeMurry, W. H. Sherman, Fred Peters, Mihlon Lee, William Closson, Andrew Drum, John Hendricks, William M. Guthrie, Allen Minor, and Deming Sturdevant. The first officers were J. M. McClary, W. M.; J. W. Wallace, S. W.; G. S. Henderson, J. W.; Henry Sherman, Sect.; and John Closson, Treas. The officers at present are the following: William W. Bruce, W. M. ; Bronson L. Adams, S. W.; Austin L. Bloomer, J. W.; Samuel Dosbaugh, Treas.; J. C. Kelly, Sect. Past Members of the lodge are D. C. Sturdevant, J. W. Bidsley, and Allen Minor. The lodge is in good working order, and has on its records the names of forty-five members in good standing. The lodge owns the hall where its meetings are held.
The Monroe Post, No. 100, G. A. R., was organized July, 1881, with a membership of twenty-two. The meetings are held semimonthly in Sanford's Hall. The officers in charge at present are: John Brooks, Commander; Joel Weaver, Sen. V. C; John Brooks, P. C; and S. B. Cook, J. V. C. The number at present belonging is about one hundred. On the 6th of February, 1881, occurred a very destructive conflagration, which will long be remembered by the citizens of Casey. The fire originated in the rear end of E. S. Moore's store building, and had got under strong headway when first discovered. The flames soon reached Moyer's residence and the wareroom of H. A. Boyd, both of which were soon enveloped by the merciless flames. A few seconds later the meat market belonging to Mr. Myers, and the buildings on Gilkinson's corner, were added to the list of ruined buildings. From here the course of the flames turned the corner of Jasper street. through the old buildings belonginar to Bovd, the meat market of Mr. Smith, and the barber shop of Joe McDowell, all of which were soon a smouldering mass of blackened ruins. The Hays building and the Bnrnap property adjoining it, were next attacked by the fire fiend, and before anything could be done to stay the flames, both houses were completely destroyed. From these buildings the fire leaped to the opposite side of the street and caught in MeDaniel's shop, which was soon reduced to ashes. At this juncture the fire was checked, partly through the efforts of the citizens, all of whom did everything in their power to arrest the course of the devouring element. The following is a list of the losses sustained in this most destructive fire : S. S. Burnap's building, $150; Hays' building, $400; H. A. Boyd's stock of goods, valued at $6250, building $1000; Dulaney's two buildings, $900; Myers' block, $200; Wakeman's building, $250; Griffin's store-room, $600; Moore's store-room and stock, $1,100; and Gilkinson's building and stock, $2000. This fire fell like a destructive blow upon a majority of the parties named, but two of whom had any insurance upon their property or goods. Boyd and Moore were insured, the former to the amount of $1,000, and the latter but $600. The fire was supposed to be the work of an incendiary, and a certain suspicious character was at once arrested. While all believed in his guilt, it could not be legally established, and in the trial that ensused he was acquitted. The town soon rallied from the effects of this calamity, and a number of substantial business houses soon took the place of those burned.
The present population of the village is about 750. The following exhibit represents its business interests. Four large dry goods stores, six grocery stores, two drug stores, two restaurants, one flour and feed store, one furniture store, five millinery establishments two hardware stores, one jewelry store, one butcher shop, two lumber yards, two shoe shops, one barber shop and one marble shop. The town is steadily increasinn- in growth and prosperity and its future outlook is very promising.
The first school in the township was taught by Samuel G. Hoskins in a little log building that stood in the town of Cumberland as early as the year 1837. The house was erected for school and church purposes by the neighbors, each of whom contributed so much work and one cord of wood. Hoskins was a doctor and came to Cumberland for the purpose of practicing his profession,but not realizing a fortune in treating the ailments of the body, he turned his attention to other pursuits. As a pedagogue he was a success and he appears to have given universal satisfaction to the patrons of the school. He was afterward elected justice of the peace and exercised the duties of that office in a manner not at all satisfactory to evil-doers. The second school-house in the township stood near the eastern boundary, and was fisrt used by James V. Hedges about the year 1839. Hedges was a man of more than ordinary intellectual attainments, and brought with him to his work the advantages of a collegiate education. His first school was attended by about fifteen pupils and lasted three months. An early school-house stood in the northern part of the township near the Whitehead farm, but the date of its erection could not be ascertained. It was, like all the pioneer school-houses, a log structure about 16x18 feet, and was in use for a number of years. The first pedagogue who wielded the birch in this building was Thomas S. Batey, of Portsmouth, Ohio, a very good teacher and a fine scholar. Simon Mercer taught school at the same place about the year 1811. The first school in the town of Casey was taught by Silas Nelson in a little building which stands in the central part of the village. This was in the year 1859, and one year later a neat frame building containing two rooms was erected for school purposes. It stood where the present schoolhouse now stands and was first used by D. W. English. It was in use for about ten years when the growing population of the village demanded a more commodious structure and a brick house was erected in its stead in the year 1870. This building was two stories high, contained four rooms, and cost $11,000, a sum which was considered exorbitant. Owing to a defect in the walls, the house was condemned and torn down in the year 1881, and replaced by the present handsome structure which was erected during the summer and fall of the same year. The present building is brick, two stories high, contains six large well furnished rooms, two halls, and was erected at an expenditure of $12,000. It stands in the eastern part of the village, and in point of architectural finish is one of the finest school edifices in the county. The present teachers are Alvin Smith, principal; John Arney, Juletta Ashby, Rebecca Carr and Annie Mauring, assistants. The present attendance of the village schools is about three hundred and fifty pupils. There are in the township nine school-houses, six of which are frame, two brick, and one log. Schools last about eight months of the year, and are well supported and patronized.
The first religious services in the township were conducted by the Baptists at the town of Cumberland as early as the year 1838. Private residences and school-houses were used as meeting places for a number of years. There was no regular church organized until about the year 1850, at which time the Cumberland Baptist church sprang into existence. This society was organized at the residence of Elder John Doughty with the following members: F. M. Howe, Margaret Chism, Daniel Gordon, Phebe Chancellor, Burgess Ray, John Doughty and Jane Doughty. Five years later a house of worship was erected in the village at a cost of about $1,200. It is a frame structure 40 by 32 feet, and will comfortably seat two hundred and fifty persons. The first trustees of the church were John M. Doughty, Francis Doughty, Enoch James, George Conger and Burgess Ray. The house was dedicated in the spring of 1856 by Elder Jared Riley. At the organization of the society, Elder John Doughty was called to the pastorate, a position he filled acceptably for a period of over thirty years. He was born in Kentucky in the year 1796, and moved to Indiana when nineteen years of age. He united with the Baptist church at the age of twenty-two and commenced preaching soon afterward. He was in the ministry fifty-six years and gave the best energies of his life to the noble work of saving souls. During the last ten years of life his physical strength failed to such an extent that he was unable to preach publicly. He died September 3, 1875, at a ripe old age, universally respected by all who knew him. The church, at one time the most flourishing organization in the western part of the county, has diminished in numbers during the last ten years, many of the members having died, and others having moved from the country. The present membership was not ascertained.
The Casey Methodist Episcopal church was organized through the efforts of Rev. Mr. Slater in the year 1853. The constitutional members were John Cole and wife, Jacob Ryan and wife, Dr. Barber and wife, Jacob Smith and wife, Mr. Andrews and wife, Susan Nettleton and Mary Long, the last two being the onlv ones now living in the place. The church was attached to the Martinsville circuit at the time of its organization and was ministered to by Rev. Mr. Slater for two years. Since then the following pastors have had charge of the church: Revs. Hungerford, Harris, Barthlow, Orr, Gay, Palmer, Mitchell, Hornold, Shields, Carrington, Shelby, Aldrich, Cabric, Hedges, Shoemaker, Dillen, Pattle, Ganaway, Graham and Potter, the last named being the pastor in charge at the present time. Meetings were held in the school-house until the year 1855, when the present building was erected. The house is frame, and was erected at a cost of about $1,800. It stands near the eastern part of the village, on Cumberland street, and is a very comfortable and convenient structure with a seating capacity of about three hundred. The church is in a flourishing condition at the present time, and numbers one hundred communicants. A Sunday-school was organized with the first starting of the church and has been successfully maintained ever since. It has an average attendance of one hundred pupils and is under the efficient management of J. W. Johnson, present superintendent. A Presbyterian church was organized south of the village of Casey in the year 1802 by Revs. C. P. Spinning and J. E. Harvell of the Presbytery' of Palestine. It was known as the Union Presbyterian church and numbered nine original members are, John Scott, Christina Scott, Rebecca Gamble, Elizabeth Kline, Mary Forester, Samuel A. Peters, Angeline Peters, Eliza Jane McClain, and a Mr. McClain. The occasion of the organization of this church was the settling in the community of a number of families from Ohio and Indiana who had been brought under Presbyterian influences in their native States. The society was maintained in a flourishing condition for some time but gradually went into decline and the organization was abandoned. After Casey was laid out the scattered members of Union church were gathered up and the church of Casey organized February 11, 1872. The organization was effected by Revs. George F. Davis of Lagrange, Missouri and G. A. Pollock Effingham. At the organization the following names were enrolled as members : John Scott, Christina Scott, Elizabeth Kline, Rabecca Scott, G. W. Yoke, W. T. Adams, Rebecca Adams, Harriett Melcher, Amelia Wilson and Mrs. Martha Bergen. At the first meeting John Scott and W. T. Adams were chosen ruling elders and duly inducted into that office. The church has been served by the following pastors : Rev. Geo. T. Davis, from April, 1873, to April, 1876, Rev. Philo Phelps during the summers of 1875 and 1877, Rev. T. E. Green from April, 1878, to September 1878, Rev. R. A. Mitchell from April, 1879, to October, 1880, Rev. J. W. Fulton from November, 1880, to June, 1881. Rev. G. W. Fisher took charge of the church October, 1881, and is the present pastor. The present membership is sixty. The house in which the congregation worship is a substantial brick structure; it was erected in the year 1873 and represents a value of $:j,000. The Sundayschool was organized in the year 1874 and at the present time is in good working order. The superintendents are P. B. Odeor, and W. W. Bruce.
The Roman Catholic church of Casey was established in the year 1879 by Father Kuhlman, of Marshall, and Charles Wekenman, of Casey. The original membership consisted of the families of Ed. Dyers, Michael Heim, Mrs. Rodman, Chas. Wekenman and Mrs. Orth. Their house of worship is a neat frame edifice 24x30 ft. and cost the sum of S500. It was erected shortly after the church was organized and stands in the south part of the village. Services are held every third week by Father Kuhlman, pastor in charge.
Transcribed by Kevin Ortman and Barbara Z.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails