George Baity was born in Rowan County, N.C., October 7, 1797. His occupation was that of a farmer. He was married in North Carolina to Rebecca Allgood. She was born May 8, 1789 in Mecklinburg County, Va., but was mostly reared in North Carolina. November 5, 1830, they started from North Carolina to Clay County, Ill., in a one-horse wagon, with all their worldly goods and a family of ten children. Most of the children walked behind, and pushed when it was necessary to cross a bad place or go up a steep hill. The winter of 1830-31 they were in Indiana, but 1831 settled in Clay County, where they died--he December 1, 1847; she December 26, 1881. Of the family of ten children, four sons and one daughter yet survive, viz.: James, Isaac, Giles, Alexander and Mrs. Susan Holeman. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
James Baity, farmer, P.O. Xenia, was born in Rowan County, N.C. October 6, 1816. He is the son of George Baity (deceased), whose sketch appears. His early life was such as is incident to the early settler. August 20, 1837, he was married to Rachael Holeman, who was born in Indiana, and a daughter of William Holeman, a native of Kentucky. She died October 13, 1860, and was the mother of the following children: William G., John, Sarah, Enos, Henry (deceased), Alexander, Giles, Matilda, Rebecca (deceased), Malinda, Susan (deceased) and Jackson. March 6, 1861, Mr. Baity was married to Mrs. Barbara J. (Smith) Akes, a daughter of Joseph Smith and widow of Daniel Akes, by whom she had one child. This latter marriage has been blest with the following-named children: Joseph F., Margaret, Albert, Adam (deceased), James (deceased), Effie J. (deceased), Lillie May, Simon, Annie, Noah and Amanda. When Mr. Baity was first married, he settled on his present farm, which now contains 120 acres, but he has given his children assistance in starting. His occupation has always been that of farming. In politics, he is a firm Democrat. Excerpted from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Isaac Baity, farmer, P.O. Xenia, was born in Rowan County, N.C., November 5, 1819, and is the son of George Baity, deceased (see sketch). Our subject has lived in this county since 1831, when he first came with his parents. He remained at home till his marriage, April 9, 1846. His wife, Lydia Margaret Martin, was born in Kentucky May 24, 1820, a daughter of William and Mary (Jones) Martin, both natives of Kentucky, but both died in this county. Mrs. Baity died April 21, 1882, and was the mother of the following living children: Mary Ann, Helena, America E., Rachael A. and Vienna. Two sons died in infancy. Mr. Baity's occupation has been that of a farmer. He now owns about 400 acres of land, 200 of which are in cultivation. In politics, he is a Democrat. For over thirty years he has held the office of Justice of the Peace, and has been Township Treasurer of schools since 1849. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Francis Titus Banker, subject of this sketch, was born in Indiana, May 7, 1856, came to Clay county about the year of 1859, the family residing near Clay City for a short time, then moving to Zif township in Wayne county where, a little later his father conducted a store and was postmaster at Zif for many years. Francis T. is a carpenter by trade, which he followed for many years.
In the year of 1912 he purchased the Brock House in Clay City, moved his family here and has continued to serve the public with boarding house and hotel accommodations these past seventeen years.
Upon taking charge of the hotel business, he changed the name to "The Banker House." He began improving, remodeling and has continually improved the building and surroundings until it is one of the best kept-up places in Clay City, and a most home-like place to stop for a meal or a month lie and his good wife specialize in making it just so. Mr. Banker is quite ingenious and has improved the idle time from the hotel business in installing light machinery in what he calls his work shop, power drive for lathes, band and scroll saws, and other equipment which he uses in repairing furniture, cabinet building, etc.
He is very neat with this line of work; he enjoys it, and he does it during his leisure from his duties at the house. Possibly there is no one living who has not an enemy but if this man has one we've never heard of it. His character is such that the preceding remark is due him while he is living. He has reared a fine family of six children, all of whom are now in homes of their own. His greatest pleasure now is to have these children come to his home bringing the grandchildren for a visit with him and his borne companion. Mr. Banker is a member of the Clay City Booster Club and is for Clay City. Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
Laota Doherty Banker --The subject of this sketch is a daughter of the late Stephen S. Doherty, who with a brother, Anthony Doherty, served Clay City and community as druggists from 1880 to the time of the former's death in 1926, excepting about three years from 1905 to 1908. Mrs. Banker was born July 9, 1891, in Caly (Clay) City and at the age of seven moved from here with her parents and after a year or so located in Murphysboro, Illinois, where she graduated in the Murphysboro high school in the year 1909. Her mother died while residing at Murphysboro and in 1917 she and her father returned to Clay City where he again entered the drug business and she assisted him as an apprentice.
At her father's death in February, 1926, she became the owner of the Doherty Drug Store and took up the study of pharmacy, passing the state board of examiners in January. 1929, and was granted a certificate and licensed a registered pharmacist. To appreciate a comfortable rocker is to find it in another's home. If, in any other town as large or twice the size of Clay City could be found a drug store that would compare with our drug store in Clay City, it should be worthy of special note. The store's fixtures, the display of the merchandise and window decorations makes it one of the beauty spots among Clay City businesses.
Mrs. Banker has shared in awards in national contests in window decorations and displays. For almost fifty years,
with the exception of those mentioned above, this drug store has been owned by the Doherty family and today it retains
the name, "Doherty Drug Store." Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
W. H. Banker was born in Wayne county, January 22, 1884, came to Clay City in 1911 and engaged in the hardware business in the room now occupied by the Advocate, later moving to the room occupied now by Wiltsey & Wiltsey . In 1918 he sold out and was employed with the Clay City Lumber & Hardware Co. until October, 1926, when he became a partner with R. E. Duff in the grocery business. Mr. Duff sold his interests to Henry Weiler, March, 1929, and since, the firm has been Banker & Weiler, located in the south room of the Odd Fellows building. Herschel has associated with the public in a business way for the past eighteen years and because of his congeniality, courtesy and square dealing he has continuously made new friends everybody likes Herschel. When everybody you meet is wearing a grouch and seem unfriendly, try Herschel; he'll be smiling. Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
George C. Barlow, farmer and stockraiser, P. O. Sailor Springs. This enterprising young man is a native of Crawford County, Ill., and was born November 8, 1850. His father,William Barlow (deceased), was also born in Crawford County, November 28, 1821, and died there October 12, 1867.
Mr. Barlow was brought up on his father's farm, and received a common school education in his native county. He came to Clay County in December, 1880, and settled on his present beautiful farm of 160 acres on Section 12. He was married, March, 24, 1874, to Miss Ursula Eaton, daughter of James H. Eaton, of Crawford County, Ill. She was also born in Crawford County*, and was a schoolmate of her husband in childhood. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884"
John A. Bateman--There is much in the life record of the subject of this sketch worthy of commendation and admiration, and his public career is especially notable. Like many other brainy, energetic young men who have left their impress upon the magnificent development of this part of the great Prairie state, he did not wait for a specially brilliant opening. Indeed, he could not wait, for his natural industry would not have permitted him to do so. In his early youth he gave evidence of the possession of traits of character which have made his life exceptionally successful and he is today admittedly one of Clay county's foremost and best known citizens.
John A. Bateman was born in Richland county, Illinois, September 20, 1863, the son of Thomas Bateman, who was a native of Queenstown, Ireland, where a sister, aunt of our subject, still resides. He came to America when ' he was eighteen years old, first settling in Ohio, near Cincinnati, where he lived about three years, after which he came to Richland county, Illinois, locating on a farm, having lived in 'Richland county two years, when he moved near Sailor Springs, Clay county, where he lived until his death, June 24, 1879. He was a man of much sterling worth and many of his praiseworthy traits seem to have been inherited by our subject. Grandfather Michael Bateman was a native of Ireland, where he lived and died. Our subject's mother was Mary A. Mitchell, whose people were natives of North Carolina. She was born near Bedford, Indiana, and is still living at Sailor Springs, Clay county, Illinois. She is a fine old lady of beautiful Christian character.
The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bateman: Lucinda Jane died in infancy; John A., the subject of this sketch; William, deceased; Charles, a well-to-do farmer at Sailor Springs, this county; Susanna, deceased; George P., living at Sailor Springs; Abraham, deceased;Robert, deceased.
Mr. Bateman spent his early life on the farm and received his primary education in the schools of Sailor Springs. He later attended Hayward College at Fairfield, Illinois, for two or three terms. He also attended the Teachers' Normal of Clay county, having made a splendid record for scholarship in all these institutions. Not being contented to leave school before he received a high education, he borrowed money of old Uncle Jim McKinney, and attended the Mitchell College, at Mitchell, Indiana, completing the course.
His father dying when he was fifteen years old, Mr. Bateman became the head and support of the family, and although the struggle was hard, it merely tended to develop the sterner side of his nature and spurred him to achievements that he otherwise would never have known. After leaving school he taught for five years in the country with great success, becoming known as one of the leading educators of the county and his services were in great demand. After his experience in teaching he went into the real estate and insurance business at Sailor Springs, also buying and shipping wool and grain. He also opened the first furniture store in that town and while there he was elected the first Mayor of the town, having become one of the leading men of the community and who did a great deal for the town's development. This was in 1893. He remained there for ten years, making a success of whatever business he engaged in.
In 1898 Mr. Bateman was elected County Clerk on the Republican ticket, living at the time in Sailor Springs. On June 22, 1899, he moved to Louisville. He was elected to this office by twenty-four majority. He was counted out, but was finally seated by the Supreme Court. He was renominated in 1902, and re-elected by a majority of three hundred and fifteen. Having made such a splendid record he was renominated in 1906 and re-elected by a majority of four hundred and twenty-seven in the face of a strong fight. The Democratic party took their regular nominee off the ticket and placed the strongest man they could in the race against him. He is now (1908) serving his third term, and is regarded by everyone concerned as an exceptionally good officer, being careful and painstaking, courteous to all and giving his attention to the duties of the same with the same keen discernment that characterizes his own business affairs: in fact, he is said by his many friends to be the best County Clerk Clav ever had.
Mr. and Mrs. Bateman are the parents of four children, namely : Dolores, who at this writing is fifteen years old; Chloe Irene is twelve years old; Mark Hanna is deceased, having died October 6, 1908; the fourth child died in infancy.
Mr. Bateman was very much attached to his baby son. Mark Hanna, whose untimely death at the age of nearly eleven years greatly grieved him. The little boy was the pride of his father's heart and upon him he lavished his affection and care of an indulgent lather.
Fraternally Mr. Bateman is a member of the Masonic Order, the Knights of Pythias, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows ; also the Modern Woodmen, Ben Hur, the American Home Circle and the Rebekahs. He is a member of the Christian church and a liberal supporter of the same. Our subject is a purely self-made man, winning success by overcoming many obstacles, and he deserves the high esteem in which he is universally held, and is one of Clay county's most popular men, claiming a legion of friends in all parts of the county and throughout this district. He has a modern and elegantly furnished home, a good driving horse and many other conveniences. His home place consists of five acres. Mr. Bateman enjoys the fullest measure of public confidence, because of the honorable business methods he has ever followed, and he is one of the most successful, prominent and honored men in this portion of Illinois. [Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--1909]
John L. Black, Treasurer of Clay County, was born in Lawrenceburg, Ind., January 10, 1846, and is a son of Dr. Milo Black, of Sailor Springs, this county, who removed with his family to Madisonville, Ohio, in 1847, where the subject of this sketch was brought up and educated. They removed to Clay County in 1865. Mr. Black was elected to the present office in November, 1882, having served as Deputy several years previous, under Mr. E. H. Hawkins, whose biography also appears in this work.
Excerpted from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Milo Black, M. D, and farmer, P. O. Sailor Springs, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, November 22, 1816, and is a son of Matthias Black (deceased) and Elizabeth (Hammel) Black. The latter died in Newton. Ind., in 1881, at the age of eighty-nine years.
Our subject was brought up on the farm and educated in the Madisonville Seminary, in his native county. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati in 1841, and at once removed to Lawrenceburg, Ind., where he practiced medicine until 1846. He then returned to Madisonville, Ohio, and practiced there until 1849, when he went via Cape Horn to California. He practiced in San Francisco until March, 1851; during this time he built and carried on a hospital there.
In 1851, he returned to Madisonville, and built there a fine residence, which has remained the finest in that place, until the present day. He continued to practice medicine in his old home town until 1864, when he came to Clay County. He practiced medicine with great success in and around Pixley Township until 1880, when he left the farm to the care of his sons and established a drug store in Clay City, but sickness in his sons' families caused him to return to the farm, but he refuses to practice regularly.
The Doctor has been very successful also as a farmer and stock raiser, and owns 520 acres of land. He was married, December 7, 1843, to Priscilla H. Clason, a daughter of Smith Clason. They have had seven children, five living John L., present Treasurer of Clay County; Charles W., at home; Frederick E., at home; Stella H. McCollum, in Alabama; and Otto E. is learning telegraphy in Clay City. While in Ohio, the Doctor was Township Treasurer for five years.
Excerpted from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
John R. Blacklidge, deceased, late of Louisville, was born in Dayton, Tippecanoe County, Ind., October 31, 1823, and was a son of Harvey Blacklidge. He brought up on the farm, and received a common school education; also
attended school in La Fayette, Ind. He enlisted in Company B. One Hundred and Fiftieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and made an efficient soldier for his country, and was honorably discharged. He was granted a pension, but did not live to receive it. He was married, December 9, 1855, to Miss Sarah Demint, by whom he had six children Mary
(now Mrs. William J. Vick Elizabeth (now Mrs. Addison Darnell), Harvey (deceased), Hattie, Charley (deceased) and John. Mr. Blacklidge died November 24,1882. and the children both followed in a few weeks after. He had been
affected with rheumatism ever since the war, a disease contracted while in the service of his country. Mr. Blacklidge
was a member of the United Brethren Church, a consistent Christian, and a member of the Sons of Temperance while in Indiana. He was an esteemed citizen, and in his death the people lost an honest, upright man, one who was ever ready to cheer and assist the poor, and the family lost an affectionate husband and considerate father. He was one of the few men whom everybody seemed to love. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
David Blair, farmer, P. O. Hord, was born June 16, 1829, in Martin County, Ind. He is a son of James and Margaret (Hughes) Blair, natives of Tennessee, who settled in Blair Township on Section 15, in the fall of 1839. Our subject received his schooling in Indiana and in the old-fashioned subscription schools of this county.
When the war clouds began to hover over this country, Mr. Blair became an ardent supporter of the Union cause and enlisted August 12, 1861, at Mason, Ill., in the Thirty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company B, Capt. Young. He held the position of First Duty Sergeant, and served till September 15, 1864, that being the expiration of his time, and on account of sickness, received his discharge at Chattanooga. He participated in the battles of Frederickstown, Stone River, the Georgia campaign and other engagements. At the battle of Stone River, he was taken prisoner of war, but paroled, and as the parole was not recognized, he continued to do duty. Upon his return home, he engaged in agricultural pursuits, and as the result of his labor has a fine farm of 140 acres of land with good improvements.
He bought his first land in 1864. forty-eight acres, for which he paid $800. Our subject was married. November 3, 1864, to Hannah R. Wilson, who died July 3, 1865. His present wife, nee Miss Adeline Lewis, a model wife and housekeeper, was born October 10, 1835, in Louisville. She is a daughter of Crawford and Elizabeth (Neel) Lewis, and is the mother of four children Hallie G., born August 25, 1869; Francis W., born December 2, 1870. Harrison E. born August 5, 1872, and Anna Rosette, deceased.
Mr. Blair has served his many friends in the capacity of School Treasurer, and in politics is a Republican. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Jesse Blair, farmer, P. O. Hord, is another descendant of one of our old pioneer families in Blair Township. He is a son of Josiah Blair, who was a native of Hawkins County, Tenn. He, Josiah Blair, was married twice; his first wife, Hattie (Ray) Blair, was a native of Indiana, where she died. She was the mother of five children George, Nancy Eytchison, John, Jesse, our subject, and Jemima Redman.
His second wife, Lavina Westmoreland, whom he married in Indiana, and with whom he came to this county, was the mother of the following children Manley, William, Alfred, Josiah and Hailey are now dead, Manley and Josiah dying while in the army. The following are yet living: James H., Henry C, Harrison, Louisa Williams, Lavina E., Elizabeth Rexrode and Sarah J., wife of Dr. Gladson. Josiah Blair died in this county in 1865. Mrs. Lavina Blair died several years after her husband's demise.
The grandfather of our subject was Robert Blair, whose wife's maiden name was Bean; they came here in 1837, and died here. Our subject, Jesse Blair, received only three months' schooling, which was obtained from William Laws in a log schoolhouse, but not learning to write till he was twenty-one years old. He came to this county with his father in the spring of 1837, and spent his youth in cultivating the virgin soil of Blair Township, which was named in honor of his father and uncles. In 1855, Jesse Blair bought forty acres of land, for which he paid $325. He now owns 200 acres of good land. Mr. Blair has been married twice.
His first wife, Polly A. Edwards, was a daughter of William Edwards, an old pioneer, who is yet living in this county. She was born in Indiana, and died here. His present wife, who was Mrs. Mary Hodge, a widow lady at time of marriage, is a daughter of William and Frances Jordan, both natives of North Carolina. Mrs. Blair, a native of Indiana, and is the mother of A. E. Hodge, a son of her first husband.
Mr.and Mrs. Blair are connected with the Christian Church, sometimes called New-Lights. Mr. Blair enjoys the respect of the community in which he resides, having served the people therein as Constable seven years, and Justice of the Peace seven years; votes the Republican ticket. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois
Thomas Blanchard The ancestors of Thomas Blanchard came from Kentucky to Illinois, and settled in what was then Lawrence County, in 1825. Willis Blanchard, the grandfather of Thomas, was a native of North Carolina, and resided in Kentucky several years previous to coming to Illinois, as above indicated. He had a family of four children Thomas, Mary, Elizabeth and Henry Blanchard.
The latter was Thomas Blanchard' s father, and was born in Kentucky in 1814, and was consequently eleven years old when his parents removed to Illinois. He attained to manhood in Richland County, and there was married to Martha A. Bunch, a native of Kentucky. Their union was blessed with four children, Thomas being the eldest; Sarah J. is the wife of P. J. Jenkins, of Richland County; Huldah E. died unmarried, and Josiah W. Blanchard is a farmer of Richland County. The parents died in that county, the mother in September, 1851, and the father in September, 1876.
Thomas was born in Richland County, Ill., October 21, 1837, and was reared on the farm, attending the public schools of the county. He prepared himself for teaching, in which he engaged for a time.
In June, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, of the One Hundred and Twenty -first Illinois Regiment, and went forth to bear his part in the struggle for national freedom. During the early part of his military service, he participated in some warmly contested engagements, among which were Fredericktown, Mo., Perryville, Ky., and Stone River, where he received a gunshot wound. Later he participated in the battle of Chickamauga, where he was made a prisoner. He was held in the various prison pens of the South, principally at Richmond and Danville, from which latter prison he, in company with eight comrades, made a very daring escape on the night of the 8th of May, 1864, having been in the prison six months. But one, however, of the nine succeeded in reaching the Union lines, the others being recaptured. Mr. Blanchard was caught after an absence of fifteen days, and was taken to Andersonville Prison, where he spent three months of hard treatment. He was afterward transferred to Charleston, later to Florence, S. C, and finally to Wilmington, from where he made a successful escape on the 20th of February, 1865.
He was discharged from the service at Springfield, Ill., in June, 1865, and opened a book store in Flora, Clay County, in the fall of the following year. In 1869, he was appointed Postmaster at Flora, by U. S. Grant, and has held the position continuously since.
He married Ella E. Ingraham November 8, 1868, who was born in Ohio. Their children are Hugh (deceased) and Walter Blanchard, who was born October, 1871. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois
Frank M. Blessing, featured this week on the left with his son, John Leonard, on the right, was born in Clay City, April 1, 1882, and is the only surviving son of the late Leonard Blessing, a pioneer merchant of Clay City. Frank, after completing the school course in Clay City took a business course in the Barnes Business College in Flora.
His business pursuits in life began when he entered into the truss hoop business, later that of making barrels. After disposing of these businesses and the town putting in an electric light plant he entered in the electric supply and wiring business which he followed until Clay City had her first picture show and he was the promoter of that, then called the Nickelodeon, which he disposed of later and entered into the garage business in 1912, also establishing the first automobile agency in Clay City, selling the Ford automobile which he handled for a year or so, changing to the Dodge and for the past several years he has had the Buick agency and service.
In connection with the Buick agency Mr. Blessing is conducting a garage, offering service in every way to the auto owner including storage. Besides, he has the agency for the famous Goodyear tires, General Electric Frigidaire, and the Kolster radio. His business is located on the corner where his father did business for years, the building being rebuilt after the big fire in 1906 and is among the best in Clay City. Frank has served several years as one of the village councilmen and is a member of the present board. He is a member of the Booster Club and a booster always. Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
John Leonard Blessing, son of Frank M., was born September 27, 1909, in Clay City. After completing the third year high school here he graduated from the Harter Township high school at Flora with the class of 1928. After his graduation he became associated with his father in the garage business, where he at this time, will be found offering his services in the various branches of the business to the public.
Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
Judge John R. Bonney--To present the leading facts in the life of one of Clay county's busy men of affairs and throw light upon some of his more pronounced characteristics is the task in hand in placing before the reader the following biographical review of Judge John R. Bonney, who has, while yet in the prime of vigorous manhood, won a conspicuous place in the legal world of this locality, who, for many years has stood in the front rank in his profession in a county well known for its splendid array_ of legal talent. He long ago succeeded in impressing his strong personality upon the community in which he now lives, and where for a quarter of a century he has been a forceful factor in directing and controlling important movements looking to the development of Clay county, whose interests he has ever had at heart, and where he has labored for the general good while advancing his own interests, which he has done in such a manner as to win the hearty commendation of all who know him.
John R. Bonney was born on a farm in Monroe county, Illinois, April 27, 1848, the son of Philip C. Bonney, a native of Cumberland county, Maine, who came West in 1840, settling at Waterloo, Monroe county, Illinois. The subject's father was a member of Company A, Thirty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which was commanded by Gen. John A. Logan. He was through all the Vicksburg campaign and participated in many battles. He died in Jackson county, Illinois, in 1863, from the effects of exposure while in the service, having lived only three days after he returned home from the army.
Thomas Bonney, the subject's grandfather, was born in England. The mother of the judge was Mary Fisher in her maidenhood, whose people were from Tennessee. She lived to the advanced age of eighty-seven years, having died in Louisville, Illinois, May 12, 1908. The judge's parents were people of much sterling worth and reared their children in a wholesome home atmosphere which has had a marked effect upon their subsequent lives. The names of their eight children follow : Marshall and DeGrass both died in infancy; Lyman died in 1887; John R. was the fourth child in order of birth ; Rowland died in 1875 ; William died in 1905 ; Samuel died when three years old; Olive is the wife of A. L. Barnett, Sheriff of Searcy county, Arkansas. Judge Bonney received a good common school education, despite the fact that opportunities for being educated in the early days were limited, yet he was an ambitious youth and applied himself as best he could to whatever books that fell into his hands. His business and professional career briefly stated, is as follows:
He was one of the men of Illinois to offer his services in behalf of the Union during the Rebellion, having enlisted in 1865, and served until the close of the war. Returning home he began blacksmithing, at which he worked with success from 1866 to 1873. Being still desirous of gaining a higher education, he then entered Shurtliff College, Upper Alton, Illinois, in 1873, in which he remained for two years, making rapid progress, after which he began teaching in Clay county, having taught during 1876 and 1877, in a manner that won much favorable comment from all sources. He was Justice of the Peace and Township Treasurer of Hoosier township from 1881 until 1898. Having made rapid strides in the study of law, he was admitted to the bar in 1896, and in a short time had a good legal business. He was elected County Judge on November 8, 1898, and served with much credit and entire satisfaction to his constituents until his term expired December 1, 1902. Having given such splendid service in this office, he was re-elected in 1902 and served four more years, retiring in December, 1906. During these eight years many cases of great importance were handled by him with the usual dispatch and clearness in analysis, also fairness to all concerned. He will, no doubt, be remembered as one of the ablest jurists the county has ever had.
Judge Bonney was married November 7, 1869, to Samantha Erwin, the representative of a well known family. She was called to her rest November 26, 1888. Six children were born to this union, namely:
Laura, the wife of J. H. Chandler, of Clay county; Etta is the wife of George W. McGlashon, of Louisville, Illinois; Lillian is the wife of E. G. Johnson, of Mill Shoals, Illinois, where he is agent for the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railroad Company;
Roscoe lives at Monta Vista, Colorado, in the government service; Maude is employed by the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company in St. Louis; Jessie is living at home. The Judge again married, on November 7, 1890, his second wife being Jennie Wolfe. One child has been born to this union, Harold, who is ten years old in 1908. Mrs. Bonney is a woman of many commendable traits.
Our subject is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a Republican in politics, having long been active in his party's affairs. The keynote of his character are progress and patriotism, for, as already intimated throughout his career he has labored for the improvement of every line of business or public interest with which he has been associated.
Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--Pub. 1909
J.K. Bothwell, merchant, Clay City, was born in what is now Vinton, then Athens, County, Ohio, April 20, 1815, and is a son of James and Charlotte (Potter) Bothwell. The father was born in Ireland, his parents being of Scotch-Irish descent, and came to this country in 1792. The mother was a native of Pennsylvania. Subject was the fifth of nine children, of whom six are now living. The subscription schools of his native county furnished subject his means of education. He helped on the home farm until twenty-two years of age, and then in 1840 he came to Clay County, settling in the old town of Maysville, on Section 19. Here he first turned his attention to farming, but in 1846 he embarked in business with Morris Brissenden. In 1862, he came to Clay City, and began business for himself. In 1880, he associated with him his son N. C. Bothwell. The firm now carry a stock of about $8,000. In this county, February 22, 1846, Mr. Bothwell was married to Miss Mary Ann Brissenden, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Brissenden. Both parents were natives of England and early settlers in this county. Mrs. Bothwell was born in August, 1820, and is the mother of seven children, of whom four are now living H.C., J.H., J.K. and Florence. In politics, he gives his support to the Republican party. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Henry C. Bothwell This family name was familiar among the early settlers of three states and its members figured both in Ohio and Illinois during the pioneer period. James Bothwell, the founder, was a Pennsylvanian. who migrated into Ohio at an early day, settled on a farm purchased from the government, reared a family and ended his earthly career about
1863. His son, James K. Bothwell, was born in Vinton county, Ohio, near McArthur, during the first quarter of the
nineteenth century and removed to Illinois in 1840, settling at old Maysville, then the county seat of Clay. He was a
cabinet maker by trade, but afterward engaged in the mercantile business.
In 1863, he removed his store to Clay City and continued in business until 1887, when he retired to his farm of seventy acres, within the corporate limits of the town. At this homestead he passed peacefully away. May 24. 1899, in the eighty-first year of his age. He married Mary A.Brissenden, who was born near Albion, in Edwards county, Illinois, her parents being of English stock. She died July 16, 1898, at the age of seventy- seven years. This pioneer couple had seven children, of whom four are living, the complete list being as follows: Henry C., subject of this sketch; J. Homer, an attorney at Sedalia, Missouri ; Florence ; Camilla, deceased, and William, who died when ten years old; James K., in the loan and in surance business at Seattle,Washington and Frank, deceased. Henry C. Bothwell, the oldest child, wa? born in old Maysville. April n. 1847.
He was reared in Clay City, where he attended the local schools. During the years 1863- 64, he was a student at McKendree College in Lebanon, Illinois, afterwards attended Nelson's Commercial College at Cincinnati, Ohio, and then accepted a clerkship in his father's store, folding this position and later as a partner, he spent the years from 1865 to 1886 iii this line of business. In the year last mentioned he became a candidate on the Republican ticket for Treasurer of the county, and was elected. In 1894 he was re-elected to the same office, and served during the four following years. After retiring he devoted some time .to the abstract business, continuing in this line until 1899, when he was made Chief Clerk of the Joliet Penitentiary, which position he held two and a half years.
Returning to Clay City he formed a partnership under the firm name of Bothwell & Gill, and this
business engaged his attention until 1907, when he received the appointment of post master at Clay City. This was no new
experience, as he had previously served as postmaster for sixteen consecutive years, while in the mercantile business.
Besides this, he had served as Tax Collector of Clay City township a number of times and was county collector for eight
years. He was always popular and successful both in his business pursuits and official holdings, being regarded as one
of the prominent and influential men of the county. His frateral relations are extensive and conspicuous, especially in
the Masonic Order. He is a member of Blue Lodge No. 488. at Clay City, Chapter at Flora, Commandery at Olney and the Shrine at Medina Temple in Chicago. He is also an Odd Fellow and a Woodman. In 1869 Mr. Bothwell married Mary C. Myers,who was born near Wilmington, Ohio. They lost four children in infancy, but have three living, to-wit: Lucy, E. L., who is practicing law at St. Joseph, Missouri, and Ada, a teacher in the Hillsboro (Illinois) high school.
J. T. Bothwell, farmer, P. O. Clay City, was born in what is now Vinton, then Athens County, Ohio, on September 16, 1816, and is a son of James and Charlotte (Potter) Bothwell. The father was a native of Scotland and came to this country when eight years old, with his parents, who settled in Winchester, Va. After residing there a few years, the parents moved to Greensburg in the same State, where they died. The father grew to manhood there and married Miss Charlotte Potter, who was a native of Fayette County, Penn. The twain came to Athens County, Ohio, soon after their marriage and settled down.
Subject was the fourth of eleven children, of whom but six are now living J. T., J. K. and A. W. (in this county), G. B. (in Missouri), E. P. (in McArthar, Ohio) and Mrs. Catherine Foster (in Chillicothe, Ohio). The subscription schools of his native county furnished subject his means of education. He remained at home until about twenty-one, and then commenced working as a journeyman tailor, going from point to point.
In November, 1840, he came to Clay County, and first settled in Maysville. Here he followed numerous vocations. He first worked at his trade, then opened a general store, next accepted the position of station agent on the stage line, and finally became Postmaster.
He remained in Maysville until April, 1857, and then came to his present farm in this township. He first purchased 120 acres, which he has increased to about 1,800 acres in this and Wayne County. He now has about 800 acres in cultivation and thirty acres in orchard. Has been considerable of a stock dealer, but of late years has not paid so much attention to it.
Mr. Bothwell has been married three times. The first time in Ohio, in March, 1840, to Miss Priscilla Potter, a daughter of Charles Potter. This lady was the mother of five children, two of whom are now living, viz.: Charles H., in Missouri; and J. O, in Wayne County. Her death took place in November, 1847.
And he was married the second time, in Wayne County, in June, 1848, to Miss Indiana Mabry, a daughter of Benjamin Mabry, one of the early pioneer's of the adjoining county. This union resulted in ten children, eight of whom are now living, viz.: J. C. (in Colorado), Mrs. Alice Lownsdale (in Clay City), Mrs. Emma Foster (in Missouri), Mrs. Sallie Todd (in Shelby County, Ill.), Ben (in Indiana), and Samuel I., Clara and Kate (at home). This lady died in January, 1872.
And subject was married in July, 1873, to Miss Kebecca Louthridge. She is the daughter of Samuel Louthridge, a native of Scotland. Mr. Bothwell is a member of the Clay City Methodist Church, and Mrs. Bothwell of the Flora Presbyterian Church. In politics,Mr. Bothwell is identified with the Republican party. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Alexander S. Bowen, physician, Sailor Springs, is a native of Shakertown, Knox Co., Ind., and was born July 12, 1849. His father, William R. Bowen (deceased), was a native of Middle Tennessee, and settled in Shakertown in 1848.
Our subject was educated in the University at Vincennes, Ind. He obtained his medical education at Bellevue Medical College, graduating from that place in 1877.
He came to Clark County, Ill., the same year, and in 1880 came to Sailor Springs, where he practices successfully in the summer seasons, spending his winters as Assistant Physician in Charity Hospital, New Orleans. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Dr. E. W. Boyles, physician, Clay City, was born in Du Bois County, Ind. May 16, 1836, and is a son of James C. and Catherine (Goodman) Boyles. John Boyles, the grandfather of our subject, was born in North Carolina, his father having come from Ireland in a very early day, and was a soldier in the Revolution. The grandfather came to Kentucky and settled in Logan County, where he married. In that county the father was born November 21, 1813. About 1820, the grandfather emigrated to Indiana with his family and settled in Du Bois County, where he died in 1856 at the age of seventy five. The father grew to manhood in that county, and at an early period of his life turned his attention to the practice of law, and made that the vocation of his life. He, however, found time for farming, and engaged in that quite extensively. He was married, March 28, 1833, to Miss Catherine Goodman. This lady was born in Kentucky in 1815, and came from that State to Indiana with her parents, William and Tearby (Jones) Goodman, when quite young. The father died September 27, 1859. The mother is still living with her son. To her were born eleven children, of whom seven are now living, viz., E. W., our subject; S. A., in Nebraska; Mary E., wife of T. A. Chaney, of Rinard, Wayne County; M. M., in Dakota; J. C, in same State; Eva, widow of J. C. Kennedy, deceased; Amy J., wife of C. C. Valentine, of Yankton, Dakota.
The education of our subject was received in the pioneer schools of his native county. In 1854, he commenced to study medicine with Dr. R. M. Williams, of Jasper, Ind. He read with him for about two years, and then, in January, 1857, he removed to Georgetown, Clay Co., Ill. There he began the practice of medicine. In September, 1861, he went to Chicago and attended lectures at the Hush Medical College. From that institution he graduated February 4, 1862. From there he came directly to Clay City, where he has since resided. He has a very extensive practice extending over considerable portions of Wayne, Clay and Richland Counties. The Doctor is a member of the Centennial Medical Society of Southeastern Illinois, also of the Tri-State Medical Society. In 1880, he took a subsequent course of lectures at Chicago, and at that time he spent most of his time in hospital work. At present he is also serving as United States Pension Examiner, and has held that office since 1867.
Dr. Boyles was married in DuBois County, Ind., March 14, 1859, to Miss Mary Ann Mahin, a daughter of William and Eveline (Johnson) Mahin, natives of Orange County, Ind. Mrs. Boyles was the mother of five children, of whom three are now living, viz., Herbert H., born January 12, 1863; James W., born September 26, 1866, and Horace B., born May 9, 1868. Mrs. Boyles died July 11, 1874, and the Doctor was married the second time, September 20, 1875, in Olney Ill., to Mrs. C.C. Reaugh, nee Cambly, a daughter of Judge R. S. Cambly, of Olney, Ill. Two children have been the result of this union, one of whom is now living; Vivian W., born December 5, 1881.
In politics, subject has always been connected with the Republican party. Since his advent in this county, he has held many offices of trust and profit, among which are Township Clerk, Township Collector and School Director. He is a member of Clay City Lodge, No. 488, A. F. & A. M Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Dr. James M. Boyles, Louisville, is a native of Du Bois County, Ind., and was born May 21, 1844. His father,
Hugh H.Boyles (deceased), was born uear Bowling Green, Ky. Our subject was brought up onthe farm, and educated in the common schools and at Gentryville (Ind.) Academy. He attended one session of medical lectures at the St. Louis Medical College, and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in 1872. In 1873, he began the practice of medicine in Louisville (having moved here in 1879), and has built up a large practice. But he is now endeavoring to give up his practice. He is a member of the Examining Board for Pensions at Flora. In 1873, the Doctor married Virginia E.Farris, by whom he had four children, but one living Henderson B. Mrs. Boyles died in 1880, and in 1881 he
married Mrs. Fannie Foreman, widow of William Foreman. The Doctor held the office of Supervisor for two years,
and is a member of the Centennial Medical Society of Southern Illinois. He served in the late war, in Company E. Forty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bluffs, Fort Gibson, Champion Hills. Black River Bridge, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., Arkansas Post,Red River and others. The Doctor is a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Excerpted from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
William Brissenden, of the firm of Brissenden Brothers, proprietors of the Excelsior Flouring Mills, Louisville, was born in Edwards County, Ill., February 7, 1852, and is a son of William Brissenden (deceased),a native of England, who came to America in 1839, stopping one winter in New York State. In the spring of 1840. he came to Edwards Comity, Ill., and in 1854 he brought his family to Clay County, where our subject has since resided. Mr. Brissenden
was a telegraph operator for five years at different points in Illinois and Missouri. For the past two and a half years, he has been engaged in the milling business. The Excelsior Mills are very fine, large, new mills, in which the roller system is used, with all the best and latest improvements in the other machinery.
Excerpted from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Clarence Brissenden, miller. Louisville, of the firm of Brissenden Bros., was born in this county December 15, 1856, and is a son of William Brissenden (deceased), a native of England, who came to Edwards County, III., in 1830, and to this county about the year 1850. where he died, in Louisville, February 4, 1881. Clarence attended the schools of Clay City and Louisville. He and his brother William ran a saw mill at this place for two years, formerly the property of their father, when they built their fine flouring mill. It is 30x40 feet, four story frame building, and is supplied with the latest improved machinery, using the roller system. They do a good business both in custom and merchant work, running two sets of stones and eight sets of rollers. This machinery is propelled by steam power) using a forty -horse-power engine. Mr. Brissenden was married, May 23, 1883, to Miss Maggie Ahle, a daughter of George W. Ahle, of Louisville Township. Our subject is the leader of the Louisville Cornet Band. This band is a credit to Louisville, and, indeed, to Clay County. They are called upon to play for the county fairs and for various meetings throughout the country.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Frank M. Brissenden---We are confronted with a duality in dealing with the subject of this sketch first is that of "Jiggs" a dual of Frank M. Brissenden and is not to be considered in the sketch except in furnishing the near physical likeness on paper. No camera, so far, has been able to withstand the exposure of the principal subject, consequently his dual was employed to display the physical feautres of our subject, Mr. Brissenden.
Frank M. Brissenden, born January 21, 1874, on a farm two miles southeast of Clay City where Lem Glasco now resides. When one year of age his parents moved to their new home in Old Maysville, a brick house now occupied by Mr. Wattles. After reaching manhood he entered the lumber business with his father, Morris Brissenden, between the years of 1890-1894. The lumber business was sold out in 1902 and Frank traveled for a year or two for the International Harvester Co., then he moved to St. Louis where he was employed with an express company for three years.
Returning to Clay City in 1906 and in June, 1907, he and Wm. T. Carder purchased the Mills Cafe. After ten years of the most congenial and satisfactory partnership Mr. Brissenden purchased the interest of his partner in August, 1917, and today he is able to slice the ham, though 22 years have been added to his age, as he could fifteen years ago.
Every soul, even a child who is large enough to walk alone and has ever met Mr. Brissenden, know him, not as Mr. Brissenden, but "Jiggs," and many people in neighboring towns know him as "Jiggs," who really are not able to tell you his real name. We are going to tell you in another item elsewhere how he inherited the name "Jiggs."
Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press
Douglas C. Brown--Every human being either submits to the controlling influence of others or wields an influence which touches, controls, guides or misdirects others. If he be honest and successful in his chosen field of endeavor, investigation will brighten his fame and point the way along which others may follow with like success. Consequently a critical study of the life record -of the gentleman whose name forms the caption of this paragraph may be beneficial to the reader, for it has been one of usefulness and honor. Douglas C. Brown, the well known principal of Brown's Business College of Centralia, and also superintendent of the Cairo and Marion business colleges, the largest and most modern institutions of their kind in southern Illinois, was born in Clay county, this state, January 28, 1860, the son of William and Lucy (Murphy) Brown, the subject being the second child in a family of four children. The parents of these children died when Douglas C. was but a child and he was reared by an uncle, John A. Flick, with whom he remained until of age. His early education began at Xenia, in Clay county, which was continued at Danville in the Normal School, later at McKendree College, Lebanon, Illinois. In all the schools he attended he made a splendid record for scholarship. Having been ambitious from the first, he applied himself in a most assiduous manner to his text-books and always stood high in his classes.
After leaving school Mr. Brown began teaching at the age of eighteen years. His first schools were taught in Clay county, later in Fayette county. His last public school work was as superintendent of the Vandalia schools, which position he held for five years. His educational work continued for a period of twelve years, during which time he achieved a broad reputation as an able educator and his services were in great demand. He left the work in the public schools for the purpose of opening a business college, which he subsequently launched at Vandalia, having conducted the same for two years, making a success from the start, for his fame as an educator was by that time so firmly established that whatever school his name was associated with was bound to be a success. After his experience with the Vandalia school he associated himself with Prof. G. W. Brown, in the Decatur Business College, remaining there three years.
Our subject then took charge of the bookkeeping department of Brown's Business College at Peoria, Illinois, which he ably conducted for three years, after which he came to the Centralia Business College in the fall of 1898. Each of the above schools has been highly successful and has turned out thousands of pupils well prepared to play their parts in the business and commercial world. The patronage that Prof. Douglas C. Brown now enjoys is largely due to his own outlay of time, talent and business sagacity, coupled with indomitable energy and persistency. The average daily attendance and the enrollment of the school in Centralia is two hundred each year. The pupils who have graduated in this school have and are constantly taking good positions in the variousbranches of business for which they have prepared.
The domestic life of our subject dates from October 12, 1881, when he was united in marriage with Maud Bryan, the accomplished and refined daughter of Samuel and Harriett (Hartman) Bryan, of Xenia, Illinois. To this happy union six children have been born, named in order of birth as follows:
Clyde L, William H., Harriet M., Harry, Dean C. and Robert E. Clyde L. married Carrie Scheiber, of Peoria, Illinois. Harriet married O. A. Rosborough, William H. is in the United States navy at this writing (1908), being a yeoman, or bookkeeper and stenographer in the office of Admiral Sperry of the flagship Connecticut.
Mr. Brown owns a modern, commodious, nicely furnished and pleasant home in Centralia, which is frequently the gathering place for numerous friends and admirers of the Brown family, each member of which is noted for his hospitality and cordiality. In politics our subject is a Prohibitionist. In religious matters he supports the Christian church. He is a most companionable gentleman and all who come within the range of his influence are profuse in their praise of his admirable qualities, and the high regard in which he is held not only professionally but socially indicates the possession of attributes and characteristics that entitle him to the highest esteem. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--1909
Pearly P. Brown In common with many others of the settlers of Clay County, who deserve especial mention in this history, and who occupy an enviable place in the hearts of the most honored citizens, is P. P. Brown, the subject of these lines. He came to Clay County, Ill., in 1855, from Vinton County, Ohio, where he was born June 13, 1835. His father, Pearly Brown, and his mother, Eliza Hulbert, were both natives of Connecticut, who settled in Ohio in the early history of Vinton County. Pearly P. Brown is the tenth child of a family of thirteen children born to these parents.
His father was a trader and stock-dealer of some note, and young Pearly has followed in his footsteps in this particular, receiving his first lessons while a lad of less than ten years, at which time he crossed the Alleghany Mountains on foot, leading the foremost ox of his father's drove. This experience was often repeated in his boyhood days, crossing the mountains no less than eighteen times.
In 1855, he settled on a farm in Stanford Township, five miles east from Flora, where he resided about eight years, moving then to Flora. In 1873, he purchased a farm in Harter Township, living upon it two years. In 1875, he was the choice of the county for the office of Treasurer, and filled that position with acceptance for one term, since the expiration of which he has been a resident of Flora.
In politics, he is Republican, and has represented Harter Township three terms as Supervisor, and four years as Assessor. He is regarded as an energetic and honorable stock-dealer, in which he is still actively engaged.
He was married in Vinton County, Ohio, in 1854, to Miss Clarissa Dunkle, a daughter of Eli Dunkle and Linnissia Pilcher. She was born November 21, 1837, in Vinton County, Ohio. They are blessed with seven children Mary E., wife of John T. Ransdell of Clay County; Linnissia, wife of C. C. Ripley, of Clay County; Harriet L., Clarissa N., Charles F., Sarah and William L. Brown.
Mr. Brown is a member of the Masonic order, and both he and wife are honored members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Flora. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
J. M. Bryan, farmer. P. O. Xenia. was born in Pendleton County, Ky., September 1, 1822, to Luke and Mary (Sanders) Bryan, natives of North Carolina.
When our subject was eight years of age, he moved to Indianapolis, Ind., with his parents, and remained there until 1860, when he came to Clay County, Ill. For five years, he was there engaged in farming, but about 1865, he engaged in the milling business at Xenia, in which he continued for fourteen years, when he again removed to the farm. He now owns 295 acres of well-improved land.
April 2, 1844, he was married, in Indianapolis, Ind., to Miss Martha Russell. She is a native of Indiana, and a daughter of John and Malena Russell. Mr. and Mrs. Bryan have four children, viz. : Alphonso, an attorney in Chamis paign, Ill.; John R., a farmer in this county; Mrs. Parmelia Garland, of Howell, Michigan; and Orvil Grant, at home.
Mr. Bryan is a member of the A. P. & A. M . of Xenia. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church. The grandfather of our subject, Samuel Bryan, was a native of Virginia, but moved to Kentucky in company with Daniel Boone, and his wife, our subject's grandmother, is said to have been the first white woman in Kentucky. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
John T. Burns, Deputy County Clerk, Louisville, was born in Nicholas County, Ky., September 18,1811, and is a son of John Burns (deceased). Ho spent his youth on the farm, and attended a subscription school in a log cabin with puncheon floor, split poles for seats, and a clapboard roof. Mr. Burns emigrated to Hamilton County, Ind., in 1830. While there, he cleared at one time twelve acres of land in the heavy timber (taking off all trees eighteen inches and under in diameter) for the small sum of $2.50 per acre, making the land ready for the plow, with the exception of rolling the logs. He afterward taught school three months, and then went into the Circuit Clerk's office at Noblesville, Ind.. as a student. He served in this capacity for two years, when he was appointed Deputy on a salary of $18 a month. He held that position several years, when he was elected Circuit Clerk of that county, and served the people in that capacity for fourteen years. In 1851, he engaged in the mercantile business in Noblesville, continuing in that business until 1855. He then took charge of a hotel there, which he ran for six years. Mr. Burns was married, November 3, 1834, to Nancy Schumach, by whom he
had seven children. Of these, but two are living-Richard J., of Louisville, Ill., and John T., of Dayton. Washington Territory. The two sons were soldiers for Uncle Sam in the late war. Our subject came to Clay County in August, 1866, and settled in Stanford Township, where he engaged in farming until 1873 when he was appointed Deputy County Clerk under his son Richard J., which position he still holds. Mr. Burns is also an attorney, having been admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Illinois in May. 1882. Mr. Burns has won the respect and esteem of all, and his wise counsel is sought and appreciated alike by old and young. . He is known among all circles by the familiar name of " Uncle Johnnie."
Excerpted from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Richard J. Burns, of the firm of Burns & Hawkins, real estate and office, Louisville, is a native of Noblesville, Ind., and was born September 15, 1840, He is a son of John T. Burns, whose biography appears in this work. He was educated at Noblesville Academy and Greencastle College, Ind. He served three years in the late war in Company D, Seventy fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Chickamauga, Mission Ridge Jonesboro, all the battles around Atlanta, Kenesaw Mountain. Peach Tree Creek, New Hope Church, and others, and was with Sherman
on his noted march to the sea. Mr. Burns came to Clay County in 1865, and engaged in farming and teaching until 1873, when he was elected County Clerk of Clay County. He was re-elected to the same office in 1877, which office he held
for nine years. For the past four years, he has been engaged in the real estate and abstract business. He was married. April 7. 1867, to Ann E. Hay, daughter of Francis Hay (deceased). They had live children, four living--Mary E., Edna, John G and William H. Mrs. Burns died in 1878, and on the 17th day of August, 1880, he married Maria L., daughter of Jay H Hall. By her he has had two children, one living--Ethel. Mr.Burns owns a farm of 200 acres, besides a half interest in several other farms. He is a Freemason in the full acceptance of the term, as he has taken the entire thirty-two degrees, and is a member of the following lodges: Louisville Lodge, No. 196, A., F. & A. M., Louisville Chapter, No. 81, R. A. M., Gorin Commandery, No. 14, at Olney, Ill., and of the Peoria Consistory.
Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Joseph O. Burton, lawyer, Flora, Ill., is a native of Lawrence County, Ind., born September 15, 1844 The father, Alexander J. Burton, was a native of Virginia, and in early manhood went to Lawrence County, Ind., where he was married to Sarah Odell, a native of North Carolina. To them were born eight children, Joseph O. being the second, and of whom three are deceased.
The mother died in 1857, in Clay County, III., the family having removed here in 1852. The father then settled in Hoosier Township, where he engaged in farming. He now is a resident of Pixley Township in Clay County. Of the five children living, one, Melcurt H.is a resident of Dakota Territory; J. O. and Fannie O., of Flora Ill. ; Caswell R., of Pixley Township, Clay County; and Rebecca, wife of J. W. Edwards, of Indiana.
Joseph O. attended the common schools in boyhood, and when seventeen years old enlisted in Company D, Forty-eighth Illinois Regiment, under Col. Hayne. He was in the ranks just three months when he sustained the loss of the right leg, being struck with a shell in the battle of Fort Donelson.
He was discharged, returned home, and as soon as he was able, he entered the academy at Mitchell, Ind., entering that institution in the winter of 1862, and completed the course in the spring of 1866. During the school course, he devoted considerable time to the study of law, and for two years following prosecuted this study principally under the Hon. B. J. Rotan, of Louisville, Ill., and Hon. G. W. Henry, then of Louisville, Ill. Mr. Burton was admitted to practice in the courts of Illinois in 1868, since which time he has been a member of the Clay County bar, with the exception of a few months.
In 1876, he received the nomination, on the Republican ticket, for State's Attorney, but, in common with the entire county ticket, sustained a defeat.
He is a member of the A. O. U. W., G. A. R, and of the Baptist Church.
He was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Blair, on the 2Sth of March, 1867, at Louisville, Clay County. She was born in Indiana on the 11th of April, 1847, and is a daughter of Jonathan and Lettie (Brown) Blair. The father died in 1862, while in military service, and the mother is still a resident of Louisville, Ill.
Their union has been blest with the birth of four children Alva A., born April 1, 1868; Stephen H., born October 17, 1872; Joseph, born May 10, 1876; and Sarah C. Burton, born September 25, 1878. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Charles Sherman Byrne, son of Charles Hanriford and Editha Adaline Byrne, was born in Cedar County, Missouri. December 18, 1869; departed this life October 4, 1929 at his home in Kincaid, Illniois at the age of 59 years, 9 months, and 16 days.
His father and mother moved to Illinois when he was a small boy settling in Richland County but leter moving to Clay County, where Charles grew to manhood.
In early manhood he was converted and united with the Conley Chapel M. E. church under the ministry of Rev. Manifold. He later moved his membership to Sailor Springs M. E. Church.
He was united in marriage to Adda Kearney of Sailor Springs, Ilinois, June 3, 1904. Unto this union was born six boys all of whom are still living except Vernon Lester who died at the age of sixteen months.
Mr. and Mrs. Byrne spent most of their married life in Kincaid, where Charles worked as carpenter in the lines. He had many warm friends among his fellow workmen and was liked by all who knew him. He was a devoted husband, a loving father and brother, and a true friend.
Two brothers, Edgar and Arthur, and one sister Mrs. Johnson have preceeded him in death.
He leaves to mourn his departure Adda, his loving companion, five boys, Russell Lowell, Robert Clifton, Raymond Donald, Herman Roscoe, and Walter Eugene all of Kincaid, Illinois; also two brothers, Dr. Elmer Byrne of Kansas City, Missouri and George Byrne of Sailor Springs, Illinois, three sisters, Mrs. Ida Erwin of Louisville, Illinois, Mrs. Temperance Paine and Mrs. Bertha Weaver of Sailor Springs, besides many other relatives and friends.
He has been called from hurt and strife,
From all the ills which fall to flesh and clay,
He has been raised unto an ampler life.
Nor should we mourn too much who still must stay.
Source: Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois 1930 Obituaries by the Clay County Advocate Press. Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter
William P. Byrne, farmer, P. O. Ingraham, was born in Braxton County, W. Va., March 16, 1838, and is the son of Samuel Byrne (deceased), a native of Virginia also. Mr. Byrne has spent the most of his life on the farm.
In his boyhood he had no educational advantages, save those afforded by a subscription school. He went to Kentucky with his widowed mother about the year 1850, where he remained until 1852, and came to Clay County and has since made this his home, except five years in Missouri and one year in Kansas.
He was a soldier for the Union in the late war, in Company E, Sixth Regiment Illinois Cavalry. He resides on Section 1, where he now owns 96 acres of valuable land.
In 1854, he married Eveline Burns, by whom he had eleven children, ten living, viz., James Mac, Samuel P., David W., Miranda J., Ada E., Olive E., Mollie, Sarah O., William H. and Joseph B. Mrs. Byrne died in 1877, and he again married in 1881; this time to Mrs. Hannah Jenner, by- whom he has one child, viz., Rolla. Mrs. Byrne had five children by her first husband, viz., Lula, Effle, Herbert, Allen and Harry Jenner. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "