Clover O. Reynolds, Postmaster and merchant, Louisville, was born in Louisville. Ill., March 16. 1854, and is a son of Benjamin Reynolds of this place. Our subject was appointed Postmaster in 1881. In 1879, he engaged in the grocery and provision business, and in May 1883, took a partner in the person of John W. Wheeler. They also keep a full line of glass and queensware, notions, stationery and school books, and are doing a thriving business. On the 10th day of May 1883, Mr. Reynolds took another partner in the person of Miss Anna Burton, daughter of Anderson Burton. This partner is for life. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884
Sylvester Rider The subject of this sketch, for many years a resident of Wayne County, Ill., was born in Adams County, Penn., in May, 1814. He is a son of Paul Rider, who was born in the same county, and whose parents came from Switzerland and settled in Pennsylvania. When Sylvester was a small boy, his parents removed to Frederick County, Md., where they remained a few years, coming thence in 1825 to Stark County, Ohio. There the parents diedthe father in 1828, and the mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Shorb, died about 1846.
Sylvester grew to maturity in Ohio, and in 1836 was married to Ann F. 0, Shorb, who was born in 1812 in Maryland. To these parents have been born twelve children, of whom but five are now living-----L. J., A. B. and C. B. Rider, whose sketches appear else where in this work, and Misses Dora and Margaret Rider, of Flora.
Mr. Rider came from Ohio to Wayne County, Ill., in 1843, having decided to engage in sheep-raising and wool-growing, which he pursued with profit for several years. He settled a farm near Fairfield, which he developed and so thoroughly improved that he obtained a premium for the best improved farm in the State. Having sold this farm, he removed to Flora, Clay County, in 1865, purchasing a small farm of forty acres within the corporate limits of the town, where he has an elegant house and a truly happy home.
He is retired from active business, but is a director of the First National Bank o Flora. He was educated to the Catholic faith, to which he has ever remained ardently attached, and in his house was said the first mass in Wayne County, by the Rev. Father Fisher. Both Mr. and Mrs. Rider are well advanced in life, and are looking beyond the brief interval that separates them from their eternal re ward, and we think when that supreme hour comes they will leave behind as many friends and as few faults as commonly bless the lot of man. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Daniel Rodgers, farmer, P. O. Clay City, was born in this county December 11, 1831, and is one of Hoosier Township's best farmers. His father, Thomas Rodgers (deceased), was a native of Nelson County. Ky., who came to Indiana when a young man, and soon after to White County, Ill., and in 1822 to Clay County.
Daniel was brought up on the farm and educated in the pioneer log cabin schoolhouse. Mr. Rodgers has killed many a deer and other wild animals. He still has in his possession the gun that his grandfather, Joseph Rodgers used in hunting many years ago in the Carolinas. This gun was manufactured, it is supposed, by one A. McBride, but the place or date are not given on the gun, just the name above mentioned is engraved on the barrel. It was formerly an old-fashioned flintlock gun, with a walnut stock; but Mr. Rodgers has had it restocked with maple, and changed to a cap-lock.
Mr. Rodgers was married, March 26, 1857, to Mary C, daughter of John Nelson (deceased). They have had seven children, four of whom are living, viz., Alice (Williams), James A., Margaret A. (Renfro), and Joseph M. One son, John D., was killed by the cars at Clay City October 15, 1880, at the age of nineteen years. Mr. Rodgers is a member of the Baptist Church. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884 "
Judge Albert M. Rose--A member of one of the honored pioneer families of Clay county, the name Rose has long been closely associated with the history of this section of the state, and the subject of this review, like his father, is numbered among the worthy citizens of this locality. In business he has always been known to be straightforward and reliable, is patriotic in citizenship, and his social relations ever wholesome. He is esteemed for these commendable traits of character together with his cordial disposition and genuine worth, but his name stands out more prominently in connection with the bench and bar of Southern Illinois, where he has long been a prominent figure.
Albert M. Rose, Judge of the Fourth Judicial Circuit, was born in Bible Grove township, Clay county, September 26, 1862, the son of Drury Rose, a native of Grayson county, Kentucky, who came to Illinois in 1856, settling first in Edwards county, then in a short time removed to Clay county. By trade a carpenter, but he always took an interest in local public affairs and very ably served his community as Justice of the Peace for a period of sixteen years. He moved from Bible Grove township to Clay City in 1891, where he lived until his death in 1897, closing a busy and useful career, mourned by a host of people to whom he was known as a kindly and honorable man. the paternal grandfather of the subject was also a native of Kentucky, who came to Illinois when a young man, settling in Clay county among the pioneer element, where he played well his part in the early struggles of the locality and established a good home amid primitive conditions. The mother of Judge Rose was known in her maidenhood as Caroline Ackison. whose people were from Pennsylvania. She was born in Illinois, spent her life here and passed to her rest in 1905, remembered by a wide circle of friends as a woman of many beautiful attributes of character. To Mr. and Mrs.. Drury Rose the following children were born : Mary Jane, wife of Henry Crum, of Bible Grove township; Albert M., the subject of this sketch; Rosa, wife of George Stang, of Watertown, Illinois; Ophelia, wife of Frederick Lyons, of Watertown, Illinois; Stephen H., also living in Watertown, where resides the next child, Addie, the wife of William Ausbrook; Lavina, Althea, wife of Godfrey Peterson. The ninth and tenth children are deceased. Thomas B., died in the Philippine Islands, while a soldier in the regular United States army in 1904. George died in infancy.
Judge Rose spent his boyhood days on the farm, where he remained until twentyone years of age, assisting with the work about the place and storing up the qualities of a sturdy manhood, successfully managing the farm while his father, who was a carpenter, as already intimated, worked at his trade. Not satisfied with a common schooling and actuated by a desire to follow the legal profession, Albert M. Rose entered Vincennes University from which institution he graduated in 1888, having made very creditable grades and established an excellent record for scholarship. After leaving college Mr. Rose turned his attention to teaching which he followed with much success until 1891, winning the hearty approbation of both pupils and patrons, studying law in the meantime, first under Barnes & Ramsey, attorneys of Louisville, in 1888, making rapid progress. He was admitted to the bar in August, 1890, at Mount Vernon, and began practice in the spring of 1891 in Louisville, where he has been practicing continuously ever since, his success having gradually increased until he now has a liberal patronage and has become one of the leading attorneys in the southern part of -the state.
The local leaders of the Democratic party early noted his talents and general favor with the public and sought him for office, first serving as Trustee of Louisville for a period of six years, during which time he assisted in securing the installation of electric lights and water works, also secured sidewalks and in many ways rendered lasting good to the town. In November, 1906, Mr. Rose was elected to fill a vacancy in the Fourth Judicial circuit, the term expiring in June, 1909. He has so ably and faithfully performed the duties of this responsible position, that he is regarded by all concerned as one of the best jurists in the district, his decisions showing a trained and acute legal mind and a desire to be fair and unbiased in all cases, weighing carefully in the judicial balance all details of whatever case he has in hand, feeling the weight of his responsibility and ever desiring to discharge his' duties in a manner that meets the approval of his constituents. The domestic life of Judge Rose began December 28, 1892, when he was united in marriage with Lulu Branson, of Wayne City, Illinois, the talented daughter of Dr. J. M. Branson, a well known physician of that place. To this union one son, Robley Branson Rose, now a bright lad of fourteen years, has been born.
In his fraternal relations the judge is a member of the Masonic Brotherhood, also the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in politics he affiliates with the Democratic party, as intimated in a preceding paragraph. Mr. and Mrs. Rose are faithful members of the Christian church. The law office of our subject is always a busy place where numerous clients and friends of the judge gather, and it is equipped with one of the most extensive law libraries to be found in this locality. When he first began practice, he formed partnership with John A. Barnes in 1891, the firm being known as Barnes & Rose, but the former left the firm in 1896, and the subject has had different partners since then. Yet in the prime of vigorous manhood and having accomplished so much that merits the praise of his fellow men and gained a firm standing in the affections of the people of this vicinity, the future to such a man as Judge Rose must necessarily be replete with honor and success. Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties Illinois--Pub. 1909
The following article appeared in the Flora Journal Record on October 6, 1921 Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter
Judge Albert M. Rose was 59 years old last Monday, Sept. 26. The Judge is a native of Bible Grove Tp., this county. He came to Louisville, a young school teacher in 1888 and entered the office of Barnes & Ramsey as a law student, graduating in due time and engaging in the practice. In 1906 he was elected a circuit judge of this district filling an unexpired vacancy caused by the elevation of Judge Farmer, of Vandalia, to the Supreme Branch. Three years later Mr. Ross was re_elected for the six year term, which he filled creditably and satisfactorily to both the bar and the people of the entire district. Since his retirement from the bench Judge Rose has quietly pursued the practice of his profession in this city, where he enjoys the confidence and respect of everybody.Louisville Republican.
George W. Roush, merchant, Louisville, was born in Richland County, Ohio, July 4, 1838, and is a son of Henry Roush (deceased), a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Roush was brought up on the farm, and educated in a subscription school in a small log cabin, and sat upon a split pole and wrote on a board supported on pins in the wall. He came with his parents to Richland County, Ill., in 1845, where he farmed until the breaking-out of the war. and for some time after its close. He was a soldier for Uncle Sam in the late war in Company E, Eleventh Regiment Missouri Volunteers for over three years, and participated in the battle of luka, Corinth, siege and capture of Vicksburg, Jackson and others. He came to Louisville in 1874, and engaged in general merchandising, and is doing a good business. Mr. Roush was married September 14, 1805 to Eliza Ratcliff, a daughter of John Ratcliff, of Texas, and a native of England. They have had three children, two living, Lizzie and Ida E. Excerpt from "History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois 1884
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails