MATTOON LODGE No. 260
A. F. & A. M.
One Hundredth Anniversary
©2002, Transcribed by Kim Torp
AN OCCASION TO COMMEMORATE THE FOUNDING, GROWTH AND PRESENT HIGH STANDING OF MASONRY IN MATTOON
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 1958
It is written, "Formerly, through the periods of the Middle Ages, masonry carved its records upon public buildings, in the tracery of the cathedral windows and the ornamentation of the palaces." Freemasonry of today is content to devote itself to work of sympathy and charity and in them find its highest praise and reward.
Our America, which we love, did not begin by overthrowing society or by re-organizing an old civilization. Our settlers left that completely behind them. They disinherited themselves. For the first time in man's history he was free to act entirely upon his own responsibility. He was back in the forest again where he had nothing but himself, the animals and the trees with which to contend. Liberty was not a dream but rather an ideal state of Nature which was to be a way of life and one which was worthy of dying for if need be.
On the prairies, west of the Alleghenies was where the New America began. In lonely cabins, apparently lost in an ocean of trees, the seeds of the new way of life were spread, that idea, of which we of today are the successors.
If records had been carefully made and preserved during the past century, dates for several volumes would have been established. However, the work at times has been careless and scanty, especially during times about which we would most like to know and consequently events in such periods could not be recorded.
My assignment is to hark back a full century of life and events in Mattoon, Illinois, and to tell the story of our Lodge, touching just the high spots in a few words. Fortunately the writer has been able to give of his time to this research and in your acceptance of this history he feels fully repaid for his effort.
W. F. Mellny, Historian
Levi Lusk - Rushville No. 9
David H. Head - Hancock No. 20, Carthage
J. H. Samson - Jonesboro No. 111
John T. Cox - Robinson No. 250
The committee reported in favor of a charter and accordingly a Charter was granted to Mattoon Lodge No. 260, (20 members). Regular communications were to be held the first and third Wednesdays of each month. Dues and Charter fees were paid.
The lodge was to hold meetings in the Cartmel Auditorium on the north side of Broadway, east of the Illinois Central tracks and opposite the Byers Hotel.
The officers of the lodge when under dispensation were:
W. M - Newton W. Chapman
S. W. - James W. Dora
Treasurer - James M. True
Secretary - H. C. Rogers
and Brethren: Joseph B. Taylor, James M. Taylor
The officers mentioned in the charter from Grand Lodge were:
W. M. - Newton W. Chapman
S. W. - James W. Dora
J. W. - Henry Clay Wortham
Treasurer - Edmund M. True
Secretary - James M. True
Chaplain - Clemm Goar
S.D.- John F. Tremble
J.D. - Joseph Taylor
S.S. - H. C. Rogers
A. S. - James M. Taylor
Tyler - Brookner Preston
W. H. K. Pike............... Thomas B. Dora............... P. I. Drake
Ezekial Phillips............... Benjamin J. Skelton............... Richard L. Walker
John L. True............... John H. Matthews............... W. L. Funkhouser
In all 20 charter members were listed.
To view the old customs in lodge work in those days is of interest. Mattoon was a boom town. There was a large amount of railroad work and building activity in force and strangers were numerous but the lodge was in the care of the best men in the town. They ran it with maximum efficiency. Many visitors asked to sit in lodge, their names were entered on the Secretary's report, but approximately 75% of them could not satisfy the lodge examining committee that they were Masons in good standing or that in fact, they were Master Masons at all.
Methods of conducting lodge business were different from the present time. Candidates were voted on for each degree and a report of the committee was spread in full upon the lodge minutes. The fee was $10.00 for each degree, paid as taken, and yearly dues were $3.00. On November 18, 1912, the fees were raised to $15.00 for each degree.
In the olden days a grievance committee was appointed to whom were referred all complaints against brethren and charges preferred. Non-payment of dues caused brother to be summoned to the lodge and the delinquent brother was tried for un-Masonic conduct in failing to pay his dues.
The first public appearance of the lodge was on June 15, 1861, at the spot where now stands the Illinois Central Passenger Station at 18th and Broadway. The 21st Illinois Militia was being sworn in for service in the Civil War, under the command of Captain U. S. Grant of Galena, Illinois, later a general and President of the United States. Wor. Bro. Edmund True, who was the third W. M. of Mattoon Lodge, in 186(? can't read) was a Lieutenant in the muster. Wor. Bro. James M. True, his brother was the W.M. in 1861, and presented to the Officers and men of the Militia, bibles and testaments for their use, as a compliment from Mattoon Lodge. They were accepted in a speech by Wor. Bro. Edmund L. True.
Lodge records from 1858 to 1865 were not obtainable because of the fire in the lodge room in 1876. Nevertheless, the Secretary in 1876 obtained the following figures for the period 1858 - 1876:
Lodge membership in 1876.................101
A new lodge, Circle Lodge No. 707, was organized October 8, 1873. A committee, appointed to confer with brothers named as officers on the petition for a new lodge, reported favorable on Nov. 18, 1873, and expressed a desire for such an undertaking. Mattoon Lodge met with Circle Lodge for the dedication at 10:30 a. m., January 28, 1874. On April 20 1875, Circle Lodge used the same hall as Mattoon Lodge paying a yearly rental of $160.00.
It was the practice in those days to celebrate a Masonic day known as St. John Day on June 24th of each year, with exercises, picnics and other festivities. This practice continued until 1878. A fire in the lodge room in the Dole Building, November 21, 1876, destroyed all of the past records of Mattoon Lodge No. 260. The Secretary, W. M. Naylor, collected all of the information possible and listed the Masons raised each year, thus preserving to some extent the lodge record.
On December 17, 1895, a letter was received from Circle Lodge No. 707 desiring lodge consolidation with Mattoon Lodge. On February 17, 1896, a letter was received by Mattoon Lodge notifying that Circle Lodge No. 707 had voted unanimously on February 6th to consolidate with Mattoon Lodge.
On March 26, 1896, Mattoon Lodge voted in the affirmative, unanimously, for consolidation. In voting for the new name for the lodge there were 53 ballots cast for MATTOON and 10 ballots cast for CIRCLE. Accordingly, on April 30, 1896, the two lodges were consolidated with the name of MATTOON LODGE No. 260 at Dole's Hall, now the Demaree Building. The officers of the new lodge were:
W. M. - Joe Withington
S. W. - George W. Shaw
J. W. - G. S. Tiley
Treasurer - Ichabod Jennings
Secretary - James L. Scott
S. D - A. A. Lofgren
J. D - William J. Miller
S. S. - I. Mc. Herkimer
J. S. - James L. Meisner
Tyler - J. E. Binns
Mattoon Lodge No. 260 has been housed in many different locations during the 100 years of its existence. The original organizers met at 1212 Richmond in the True-Cunningham Building and commenced business upon receiving their charter on October 6th, 1858, at the Steven Cartmel Auditorium which had been erected in 1857 on the north side of Broadway, east of the Illinois Central tracks, opposite the Byers Hotel. The first occupant of the auditorium was the Presbyterian Sunday School. Brother Cartmel was Secretary of Mattoon Lodge in 874 and 875.
George H. Fye - W. M. Mattoon Lodge
S. B. Patheal - Secretary, Mattoon Lodge
Louis L. Emerson - Grand Master
A. V. McMullin - Deputy Grand Master
Richard C. Davenport - Grand Secretary
Earl F. Collins - as Grand Steward
Jacob Stump, Jr - as Grand Steward
George Cobb - as Grand Steward
Harvey Walter - as Grand Steward
Walter Hanson - as Grand Steward
A copper box was inserted in the cornerstone containing various items. The building cost was approximately $125,000.00.
On August 19, 1929, it was moved and seconded that the building committee issue $50,000.00 bonds at 7%, secured by a first mortgage. The first meeting in the new Masonic Temple was on November 27, 1929. This beautiful building is the result of personal and financial sacrifices on the part of the members of the various Masonic bodies, which can never be repaid.
Meeting in the temple are:
Mattoon Lodge No. 260
W. F. Gammill Chapter No. 85
Mattoon Council No. 10
Godfroy de Bouillon Commandery No. 44
Elect Lady Chapter Eastern Star No. 40
Pleiades Chapter White Shrine Jerusalem No. 57
The Rainbow Girls
Withington-Stone Chapter Order of de Molay
Mattoon Lodge No. 260, A. F. & A. M.
Frank M. Schulhoff - Chairman
Morgan W. Storm - Vice Chairman
Charles Rude - Secretary
William M. Wilkinson - Asst. Secretary
Jacob Stump, Jr. - Treasurer
Homer O. Ragland - Finances
Clarence W. Hughes - Attorney
Walter M. Gibler - Publicity
George B. Ballard Builder
PRESENT LODGE MEMBERSHIP: 765
The future is on the far horizon. May the dawning light rise bright and the challenger of the times be met bravely.
No institution can be made great or preserve greatness, by a mere declaration of principles, but must be made great and maintain greatness by the unselfish zealous deeds of those who compose it. So brethren, let us go forward for whatever may await us, with the positive assurance that within our institution of Freemasonry, we find those principles of undying truth, justice and love, by which our hearts are cemented together.
The members of the lodge can justly look with pride as they pay their respects to those who have gone before them. It is a visible indication that they are fulfilling the Masonic ideal. With the members working together, peace and harmony will prevail.
Give us the nobility, the light, the wisdom and the charity to be as great as those brother masons were who have gone before us.
Our debt to the past can only be discharged by presenting to the future generation, who may perhaps have more dangerous frontiers to cross, a living example of those useful tenets of our glorious institution Friendship, Morality and Brotherly love.
Mattoon Lodge 260 looks forward to a second century with the strength of its years behind and with confidence for its future.
MATTOON LODGE 260 A. F. & A. M.
Down through the years Mattoon Lodge has participated in many dedications and cornerstone layings. Following is a brief history of some of these activities:
December 28, 1865 - Mattoon Lodge accepted an invitation to attend the dedication of the new Masonic Temple for Charleston Lodge No. 35 in Charleston, Ill. The location was the third story of the H. N. & H. S. Parcels building which was located on the southwest corner of the square.
May 27, 1896 - Lodge participated in laying cornerstone for Eastern Illinois Normal School, Charleston, Ill. There was a long parade on 6th street to school with 500 Masons in line from all about this area. Speaker was Governor John P. Altgeld, cornerstone was laid by G. M. Owen Scott from Bloomington, Ill. Lodge opened in Mattoon, members went to Charleston by bus and returned to Mattoon by train, lodge closed.
June 24, 1903 a special train took Masons to Sullivan, Ill., for the laying of the cornerstone of the Masonic Home by the Grand Master of Illinois. Forty-four masons from this district attended.
September 8, 1904 - Twenty-two members went to Sullivan on the train for the dedication of the Masonic Home.
February 22, 1905 - G. M. William B. Wright and DDGM D. E. Briffet dedicated the Masonic Temple at 112 S. 16th Street. There were speeches, music and refreshments.
September 5, 1912 - The lodge participated in the laying of the cornerstone of the new U. S. Post Office at 17th and Charleston in Mattoon. G. M. Delmar Darragh and Grand Lodge officers participated. A long line marched from the Temple on S. 16th Street to the site of the Post Office including Mattoon Police Band, Gibler's Band, the GAR, Red Men Citizen's Lodge, Arthur Brass Band, Knights Templar, Mayor and City Officials. In the cornerstone were placed a list of lodge members and members of the Chapter and Commandery, newspapers and other items of historical interest,
September 18, 1917 - The lodge participated in the laying of the cornerstone of the Federal Building in Charleston, Ill. Several hundred Masons took part in the exercises. Among those from Mattoon were Homer Ragland, S. B. Pathael, Morgan Storm, Fred Snyder and J. E. Binns. G. M. Scroggins took charge of the ceremonies. The cornerstone was a block of Minnesota red sandstone. Lodge records were laid with the stone.
May 17, 1924 - Cornerstone was laid for the new Baptist Church in Mattoon. Eighty masons in line, escorted by Knights Templar, parade at 2 p. m. from 16th and Charleston to the church on 19th Street.
May 20, 1928 - The lodge laid the cornerstone for the First Christian church at 16th and Wabash. G. M. Haven Stephens was in charge.
September 17, 1928 - Cornerstone for the new City Hall was laid by G. M. Haven Stephens. List of Grand Officers and Lodge Officers, together with plans for the new Masonic Temple were laid with the cornerstone.
MATTOON LODGE 260 A. F. & A. M.
1858 - NEWTON P. CHAPMAN*
Born in Paoli, Orange County, Indiana about 1824. In 1827 he came to Illinois with his father and family and later studied medicine and practiced the art in Paradise, Ill., where he was regarded as a doctor of more than ordinary ability, enjoying a lucrative practice.
He was made a mason in Charleston Lodge No. 35 in 1846, and was Senior Warden in 1 848. He was a charter member and first Senior Warden of Wabash Lodge in 1857. He was a charter member and first Worshipful Master of Mattoon Lodge No 260 in 1858, also he was a charter member and first Scribe of Keystone Chapter No. 54.
His business office in Mattoon was in the Penna House, now the Buck Middlesworth Building where he acted a Justice of the Peace in 1860.
At the start of the Civil War he was an Assistant Surgeon in the 54th Illinois Infantry. At the close of the war he retired to private life and affiliated with Tuscola Lodge No. 332. Brother Chapman passed away in the late 90's.
1859 and 1875 - DR. JAMES W. DORA*
Dr. Dora was born in Augusta, Bracken County, Kentucky on May 5, 1827. He went to selected schools and studied medicine in Cynthiand, Kentucky under Dr. George W. Todd, who was the brother of Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln. Also he attended Bartlett Commercial College in Cincinnati, studied medicine in Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati and studied in many other medical colleges to complete his college career. He served in the Civil War after a stay in Mattoon. His office was on Broadway between 3rd and 4th streets. At various times he served as Mayor, City Treasurer, member of the City Council and was medical examiner for the Masonic Benevolent Association. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church. His last office was next to the Penna House, now the Buck Middlesworth Building.
1860 - EDMUND W. TRUE*
Affiliated with Charleston Lodge No. 35, July 14, 1856. A Charter member of Mattoon Lodge No. 260, he was one of the five True Brothers who had a store at 1212 Richmond Ave. in 1855, and was also a charter member and first Thrice Illustrious Master of Mattoon Council, in 1860. He was also cashier of the First National Bank, in Mattoon, at one time. Brother True was sworn in as a lieutenant in the 21st Illinois Infantry on May 1, 1861. In 1864 Lieutenant True was killed in action at the Siege of Fort Donaldson.
1861 and 1866 - JAMES M. TRUE*
In 1855 he was first Postmaster of Mattoon and also Postmaster of Humboldt the same year and was a member of the Mattoon Village Board. He was a State Representative in 1866-1868. In 1865 he was first H. P. of Mattoon Chapter No. 85.
He was wounded in the Charleston Draft Riots on March 28th, 1864, but finished the Civil War with the rank of General, with the 62nd Illinois Infantry. He demitted from Mattoon Lodge October 6, 1868, and retired to farming and is buried in Dodge Grove Cemetery.
1862, 1863, 1867 and 1868 - FRANK KELLY LEFEVRE*
Received his Third Degree in Mattoon Lodge in 1860, was a charter member of the Chapter and first Gereralissimo of the Commandery. He had a common school education and arrived in Mattoon with only $2.00 in cash. His business was boring for water for the Big 4 Railroad. He was baggageman in 1869 and Yardmaster in 1871. In 1885 he was defeated for Mayor, in 1886 was Sheriff of Coles County. He was appointed Colonel in the 2nd Illinois Infantry.
1864 and 1871 - M. W. WILCOX*
Was medical doctor and also was Mattoon Postmaster in 1868.
1865 - SYLVESTER J. FISHER*
Was a public school teacher by profession.
1869, 1870, 1872, 1874 and 1877 - W. H. HOUSE*
Affiliated from Neoga Lodge No. 279, March 16, 1859, was charter member and first Scribe of the Chapter and was H. P. in 1867-1868 and 1869. He was a grocer and later proprietor of the Penna House on Broadway, now the Buck Middlesworth Building.
1873 - JAMES F. LAWSON*
Brother Lawson was in the mercantile business in Etna. His store was the site of the building now occupied by Wabash Lodge No. 179. He was Secretary of Wabash Lodge 1862 to 1864 and Worshipful Master in 1866 and 1867 before demitting to Mattoon Lodge. He was County Supervisor and Town Clerk, demitted to Kansas Lodge where he later served as Worshipful Master.
1876 - ROBERT CUNNINGHAM*
His business was that of laboring contractor.
1878, 1879, and 1881 - JAMES L. SCOTT*
He was in the Government Pay Department of the Army of Cumberland. Moved to farm in Coles County and was Township Supervisor. In Mattoon he was in the grocery and glassware business. Also was E. C. of Commandery in 1883.
1880 - WILLIAM H. BELL*
Was a medical doctor and also served as Mayor of Mattoon.
1882, 1883, 1884 - R. G. MCHENRY*
His occupation was that of blacksmith and veterinarian.
1885, 1886 and 1889 - P. A. KEMPER*
He was a medical doctor. Graduated from Rush Medical College in 1858 he enlisted as a Captain in the 5th Illinois Infantry and rose to Assistant Surgeon of his regiment.
1887 - F. M. LAWLER*
His occupation was that of merchant.
1888 - JOHN F. SCOTT*
He was a lawyer and one time Mayor of Mattoon.
1890 and 1891 - J. F. KINGSOLVER*
His business was that of merchant.
1892 - J. E. BINNS*
A blacksmith by trade he was foreman for the Big 4 R. R. He also was P H. P. and P. T. I. M.
1893 and 1894 - O. B. WEBER*
Was a tinner for the Big 4 R. R. and also did coppersmith work. He was P. H. P. and P. T. I. M.
1895 and first 4 mos. of 1896 - JONAS M. HOWARD*
He was a machinist for the Big 4 R. R.
1896 (last 8 mos.) and 1897 - JOSEPH WITHINGTON
He was a surveyor, helped to lay out the west side of the City of Mattoon, Captain Co. D, 41st Infantry during Civil War being discharged as Adjutant General, Mayor of Mattoon, City Engineer, Police Magistrate, County Supervisor, County Surveyor and Secretary of Mattoon Building & Loan Association. He affiliated with Mattoon Lodge May 11, 1864, was a charter member of Circle Lodge, H. P. Mattoon Chapter 1891 -1892 -1894- 1895- 1898- 1899 and 1900, also T. I. M. Mattoon Council 1885 to 1908 and E. C. Commandery 1891-1893.
1898 - A. A. LOFGREN*
Was a machinist by trade, worked for the Big 4 Railroad.
1899, 1900 - F. M. BEALS*
Made a Mason in Miles Hart Lodge No. 515 on May 22, 1888, affiliated with Mattoon Lodge April 8, 1894. Served as King of Chapter 1906, 1907 and 1908, E. C. Commandery in 1905. Took degrees in Consistory April 12, 1901, and joined Shriners, Medinah Temple, November 18, 1904. Brother Beals served as Alderman and was City Health Officer.
1901 - WILLIAM J. McKAMY*
Operated a wholesale lumber business.
1902 - GEORGE W. SHAW*
Operated a retail shoe store, was W. M. of Circle Lodge in 1874.
1903- J. E. CLARK*
Brother Clark was a farmer.
1904 - P. B. LINN*
Was a grocery merchant, also served as H. P. of Chapter.
1905, 1906 and 1907 - GEORGE O. COBB*
Was in the Ice Manufacturing business.
1908 - S. B. PATHAEL*
Was in the real estate business, served as Secretary of Mattoon Lodge for 29 years, also as Secretary of Chapter 1917-1932, and was DDGM of Grand Lodge. During 1907 he was City Comptroller. Brother Pathael passed away in 1938, with services by Grand Master, In charge.
1909, 1910 - GEORGE W. TODD*
Joined December 20, 1907, died December, 1933. Funeral services by Grand Master. Brother Todd was DDGM, Grand Lodge, 1912-1914, Grand Lecturer 1907-1910.
1911, 1913 - GRANT McPHERSON*
Affiliated from Trilla Lodge No. 396, was a Post Office Employee, died May 12, 1924.
1912 - JOHN A. HORN*
Operated a retail store and later was a farmer.
1914, 1919 - J. E. ASHBROOK*
For many years was an accountant and bookkeeper for notable Mattoon firms.
1915 - GEORGE W. SWAN*
Operated a hardware store, was Mayor of Mattoon in 1920.
1916 - HOMER O. RAGLAND
Cashier Illinois Trust and Savings Co., High Priest Chapter 1938-1939, Eminent Commander Knights Templar 1933.
1917 - EARL M. BROWN
Accountant for Illinois Central Railroad.
1918 - WILLIAM O. STRONG*
Was in the insurance business, was Grand Lecturer 1937, also an honorary member of Charleston Lodge No. 35, Lerna Lodge No. 788 and Hutton Lodge No. 698. Brother Strong conducted and assisted in many Masonic funerals for our lodge and others in our area. In 1950 and 1951 Bro. Bill was appointed an officer in the Grand Lodge - his official title was that of W. Grand Standard Bearer.
1920-23 - ALFRED M. RUSTER
Clerk N. V. C. Railroad.
1921- THOMAS MCNUTT*
Was a section foreman for the New York Central R. R.
1922 - JOHN T. WIGGINS*
Born February 14, 1888, was a clerk for the New York Central R. R.
1924 - JOHN M. BOLLES*
Operated an automobile garage.
1925 - JULIUS C. WEAVER
Was Fire Chief of the City of Mattoon for 34 years. Brother Weaver deserves considerable commendation for giving of his time to conduct more than 220 Masonic funerals, with honor and respect, for the craft. He has always been a faithful and loyal worker for the craft.
1926 - WILLIAM A. MILLER
Brother Miller is a storekeeper for the New York Central R. R.
1927 - EARL F. COLLINS
Brother Collins was raised in 1923, was DDGM Grand Lodge for 18 years, named Grand Lecturer in 1928, is a member of the Committee of Credentials of the Grand Lodge, has been Secretary of Mattoon Lodge since 1942, is also Secretary of the Chapter, Council and Commandery. His occupation is that of clerk, for the New York
Central R. R.
1928 - ANDREW P. WEAVER
Was connected with the Berkowitz Co. for many years and was employed as clerk by the New York Central R. R. before retiring.
1929 - GEORGE H. FYE
Brother Fye was for many years in the Freight Department of the Illinois Central R. R. Brother George has been most active in Masonry in all its many phases.
1930 - IRA E. MEYERS
Was a foreman for the Mattoon Engine Works.
1931 - JOHN H. LIDAKER, JR.*
Worked in the car department of the New York Central R. R., was Grand Lecturer 1932, member York Cross of Honor, DGHP 1957, Inspector for the Grand Council 1932-1933, also member of the Red Cross of Constantine. Brother Lidaker died in 1957 while DGHP.
1932 - KELLY P. GALBREATH *
Grand Lecturer for the Grand Lodge, was employed as machinist for the New York Central R. R. and later as Roundhouse foreman.
1933 - GEORGE S. BONNELL*
Was a traveling inspector for the New York Central R. R.
1934 - FRANK S. BAKER
Grand Lecturer for the Grand Lodge, Yard Master New York Central R, R.
1935 - W. A. (GUS) FLOWERS*
Was in the insurance business.
1936 - KENNETH M. KILMAN
Is a conductor for the New York Central R. R.
1937 - JOHN S. INGLES*
Was an accountant for the Mattoon Engine Works.
1938 - WILLIAM J. WALTER
Was Assistant Secretary for the First Federal Savings & Loan Association.
1939 - KENNETH M. HAMBY
He is a marine engineer.
1940 - MAURICE M. CRITES
He is Chief Clerk for the Coles Moultrie Electric Coop.
1941 - LELAND W. BROTHERS
Is a car man for the Illinois Central R. R.
1942 - ARNOLD P. EWING
He is the proprietor of Ewing's Drug Store in Mattoon.
1943 - LEWIS E. WINFIELD
Is Secretary of the H. C. Burke Co.
1944 - BERTRAM E. HAMBY
Is a clerk for the Railway Mail Service.
1945 - FRED F. FULLER
Is a switchman for the Illinois Central R. R.
1946 - EMERY DONLEY
He was a foreman for the Clark Foundry Co.
1947 - LEONARD J. LASS
Is a clothing merchant in this city and is the present Treasurer of this lodge.
1948 - CLIFFORD L. LINDSAY
Is a clerk in the car department of the New York Central R. R.
1949 - CHARLES T. COX
Is Assistant General Manager of the A. & B. Transfer Co.
1950 - J. ERNEST SCOTT
Is Chief Yard Clerk for the Illinois Central R. It and at present is our Tyler.
1951 - THOMAS E. STORM
Is Secretary of the First Federal Savings & Loan Association.
1952 - FREDDIE E. WHITE
Is operator of a gasoline filling station.
1953 - GEORGE D. MARSHALL
Is in the plumbing business.
1954 - DAVID N. HANSON
Former hardware stove operator, at present is connected with the Kent Lumber Co.
1955 - OSCAR BAREITHER
Owner of an automobile repair shop.
1956 - J. R. IRONS
Proprietor of a florist and greenhouse business.
1957 - GEORGE L. THOMAS
Is a storekeeper for Eastern Illinois University.
1958 - R. EUGENE COX
Associated with his father in the plastering business.
50 YEAR MEMBERS
*G. G. McCamant
J. F. Nelms
*Wm. M. McKamy
Russell Mallory Frisbie
*George L. Matthews
Harry A. Gano
*E R. Ramsey
A. K. Gibson
*Wm. A. Young
C. M. Grantham
*James W. Miller
R. B. Harmeson
Jacob Stump Jr.
W. B. Herron
H. E. Terrel
*Dr. Charles Voigt
B. E. Nugent
W. F. Milky
*John Lidaker Jr.
*Z. B. Watkins
Benj. B. Knight
C. O. Soland
Leo C. Bennett
*R. E. Wilson
Earl F. Collins
*Kelly P. Galbreath
AFFILIATED PAST MASTERS
Alfred A. Leffman
W. F. Mellny
|Abbott, C. E.||Birk, E. A.||Cook, Horace|
|Abbott, J. H.||Bivins, P. R.||Cook, J. R.|
|Adams, Edward||Black, Ray||Cook, W. L.|
|Adler, M. W.||Bone, D. H.||Cornell, Walter|
|Albright, G. R.||Bonta, B. D.||Corry, W. H.|
|Alfred, D. C.||Borntreger, J. F.||
Courtney, J. R.
|Allen, H. L.||Bouck, R. L||Covalt, J. C.|
|Allen, P. M.||Bower, D. F.||Covalt, Simeon|
|Allen, S. H.||Borman, J. F.||Cox, C. T.|
|Alsop, R. F.||Boyd, F. E.||Cox, R. E.|
|Ambrose, E. B.||Brandenburg, M. M||Crackel, Frank|
|Andrews, Alph||Braughton, C. S.||Cramer, Paul|
|Andrews, M. G.||Brausa, Ralph||Creviston, R. E.|
|Angell, R. L.||Brick, Adam||Crites, M. N.|
|Armer, Gene||Bridges, A F.||Croft, Lee Jr.|
|Armstrong, H. F.||Bridges, E. C.||Crookshank, R. L.|
|Armstrong, Wendell||Briesacker, R. O.||Crookshank, R. R.|
|Arnold, T. C.||Brinkley, J. T.||Croy, I. D.|
|Arter, F. M.||Brothers, L. W.||Crum, J. L.|
|Askin, J. E.||Brothers, S. T.||Curtis, Carl|
|Ashworth, C. C.||Brown, A. D||Curtright, K. H.|
|Ashworth, J. E.||Brown, F. S.||Cuthrell, D. F.|
|Austin, H. E.||Brown, O. W. Jr.||Daniell, J. W.|
|Avey, D. M.||Brown, Joe F.||Daniels, J. R.|
|Baker, E. W.||Buscher, V.O.||Daniels, R. J.|
|Baker, F. B.||Bugle, H. C.||Daugherty, Chas.|
|Baker, W. S.||Bulla, C. E.||Daugherty, J. E.|
|Bales, D. E.||Bullock, A. D.||Davidson, F. L.|
|Bales, L. H.||Burge, C. M.||Davidson, R. E.|
|Baldwin, H. W.||Burnell, R. R.||Davis, C. E.|
|Ballinger, L.A.||Burton, E. S.||Davis, J. F.|
|Barber, M. W.||Burton, J. W.||Davis, T. A.|
|Bariether, O. W.||Buser, M. H.||Dawson, C. A.|
|Bariether, F. H.||Cain, J. R.||Debow, L. R.|
|Bariether, W. R.||Cain, Oral||DeBuhr, B. H.|
|Barker, J. P.||Caldwell, Ray Jr.||Deckard, W.T.|
|Barr, C. S.||Callahan, J. W.||Defenbaugh, K. A.|
|Bartelsmeyer, H. M.||Campbell, C. B.||Demars, C. E.|
|Barth, F. S.||Carr, C. L.||DeVault, E. N.|
|Bartlett, C. E.||Caton, C. Z.||Dick, G. B.|
|Batchelor, Horace||Cazenave, A V.||Diltz, D. F.|
|Baughman, D. C.||Checkley, H. R.||Doll, C. W.|
|Beals, W. D.||Checkley, W. E.||Dolson, K. M.|
|Beardsley, F. H.||Cherry, G. W.||Donhost, O. H.|
|Beasley, R. L.||Childers, G. W.||Donley, Emery|
|Beavers, C. F.||Childress, G. N.||Douglas, J. H.|
|Becker, M. L.||Chrisakis, Chris||Dowell, R. C.|
|Beem, H. D.||Church, Alonzo||Downing, L. L.|
|Belt, Theo||Church, W. B.||Drake, E. H.|
|Bennett, K. R.||Clawson, H. A.||Drum, J. W|
|Bennett, L. C||Cochran, M. M.||Dulgar, V. L.|
|Bennett, Marion||Coffey, V. R.||Dumond, R. R.|
|Benton, W. M.||Cole, H. E.||Duncan, I. F.|
|Berg, Joseph||Cole, R. E.||Eagleson, D. E|
|Berkowitz, Emanual||Collins, E. F.||Easton, H. J.|
|Bethard, E. E.||Collinsworth, J. M.||Easton, O.O.|
|Biggerstaff, Sam||Collinsworth, P. H.||Easton, W. O.|
|Biggs, F. J.||Comer, G. H.||Eaton, Roy|
|Bills, R. D.||Comer, R. B.||Ebright, J. R.|
|Binns, F. J.||Conway, P. C.||Ecoppi, Joseph|
|Birch, Chas.||Cook, C. V.||Elliott, R. L.|
|Elliott, R. T.||Glover, J. H.||Higgens, H. H.|
|Ellison, W. L.||Goodwin, A. L.||Higgins, J. A.|
|Elmore, W. M.||Goodwin, J. R.||Hilgenbert, C. E.|
|Ely, H. E.||Grafton, Harry||Hill, R. D.|
|Ethridge, Jos W. Jr.||Graham, Rex R.||Hill, R. L.|
|Evans, P. G.||Grantham, C. M.||Hill, W. E.|
|Ewing, A. P.||Grantham, J. L||Hite, G. F.|
|Ewing, H. B.||Grantham McNeill||Hoback, J. R.|
|Farrar, H. J.||Gray, W. D.||Holderfield, Eugene|
|Farrar, J. M.||Greene, E. J.||Hollar, F. E.|
|Farrier, C. C.||Greenwood, A. D.||Holmes, F. C.|
|Fell, H. P.||Greenwood, R. H.||Hood, H. A. Jr.|
|Ferguson, W. J.||Greer, H. E.||Hoots, C. S.|
|Fickes, Roscoe||Griffin, W. E.||Hoots, G. F.|
|Fields, E. L.||Griffith, C. L.||Hoots, R. F.|
|Figenbaum. G. C.||Griffith, J. H.||Hopkins, E. V.|
|Finley, F. T.||Groniger, H. J.||Hopper, L. A.|
|Finley, K. C.||Groniger, J. C.||Hopper, L. R.|
|Fisher, W. E.||Gullett, H. T||Horsley, J. E.|
|Fitzpatrick, K. E.||Guy, R. E.||Hortenstine, D. B.|
|Fitzpatrick, W. I.||Guyer, M. B.||Howard, J. M.|
|Fleming, C. W.||Gwin, J. F.||Howard, W. E|
|Fleming, D. R.||Hackendy, J. A.||Huckleberry, G. B.|
|Forster, W. T.||Hackett, F. R.||Huff, O. E.|
|Forsyth, R. W.||Haddock, M. E.||Huffman, Roy|
|Fortner, O. D.||Hagan, W. E.||Hughes, W. L.|
|Fortney, Arthur||Hall, H. H.||Humes, W. F.|
|Fortney, H. W.||Hallam, W. R. Jr.||Hunt, J. R.|
|Foulke, L. R.||Hamby, B. E.||Huss, H. L.|
|Fox, L. B.||Hamby, K. H.||Hutchins, J. S.|
|Frazier, W. M.||Hamilton, G. D.||Hutton, E. E.|
|Freeland, O. L.||Hamilton, H. E.||Hyde, T. E.|
|Freeman, E. M.||Hamm, LaRue||Hyde, T. F.|
|French, A. J.||Hamm, Richard G.||Hyland, C. E.|
|French, Jos.||Hampton, D.E.||Irons, J.R.|
|French, O.L.||Hampton, D.W.||Irons, W.D.|
|Frisbey, R.M.||Hance, D.A.||Isenburg, W.E.|
|Frizzell, J.S.||Hanes, C.E.||Jackson, D.G.|
|Frost, E.E.||Hannah, H.I.||Jackson, W.C.|
|Fuller, E.R.||Hanson, D.N.||Jaffe, A.A.|
|Fye, G.H.||Hardin, W.M.||James, H.B.|
|Galey, Leonard||Hardesty, H.L.||James, K.A.|
|Gallagher, C.L.||Hardwick, M.G.||James, R.B.|
|Galloway, J.A.||Harman, W.R.||Jetto, Robert|
|Gano, H.A.||Harmeson, R.B.||Jerdan, G.S.|
|Gard, I.E.||Harper, E.A.||Jiles, G.W.|
|Garvin, G.F.||Harper, H.T.||Johnson, F.M.|
|Gebhart, W.E.||Harper, R.D.||Johnson, R.F.|
|Gehl, H.W.||Harris, C.A.||Jones, Gordon|
|Gepford, P.A.||Harris, C.F.||Jones, J.P.|
|Giberson, G.P.||Harris, H.G.||Jordan, E.H.|
|Giberson, H.L.||Harris, J.A.||Jordan, R.E.|
|Gibler, F.C.||Harris, Paul M.||Judd, P.F.|
|Gibler, J.W.||Hart, O.||Junken, J.A.|
|Gibson, A.K.||Harvey, M.G.||Karpen, R.A.|
|Gibson, L.B.||Hasch, H.J.||Keenan, M.C.|
|Gibson, P.B.||Haskell, Clarence||Kehias, L.S.|
|Gibson, R.H.||Heiman, Richard J.||Keilback, F.W.|
|Gilbert, A.M.||Heimling, H.L.||Kellam, W.E.|
|Gilbert, J.B.||Hendren, C.A.||Kelly, A.B.|
|Gillespie, V.G.||Henley, W.B.||Kelly, Waldo|
|Ginder, R.K.||Henne, Everett||Kelly, P.B.|
|Glasscock, C.C.||Henry, W.S., Jr.||Kemper, Everett|
|Gleason, J.T.||Henry, W.S., Sr.||Kemper, W.A.|
|Glosser, H.C.||Herron, W.B.||Kenny, T.R.|
|Kepley, R.N.||Marshall, G.D.||Nichols, C.B|
|Kerns, T.G.||Marshall, R.W.||Niemeyer, H.W.|
|Keppler, J.W.||Matherly, W.E.||Norviel, J.S.|
|Kersey, R.M.||Matthews Fred||Noskin, E.A.|
|Kibler, L.G.||McBride, J.E.||Nugent, Ben|
|Kilman, K.M.||McCabe, G.C.||Oakley, C.M.|
|Kime, Harry M.||McCrocklin, C.||Oakley, H.R.|
|Kimrey, J.T.||McCumber, J.E.||Oakley, O.C.|
|Kindel, H.T.||McCusker, P.I.||Orndoff, P.L.|
|Kindel, J.L.||McFarland, H.F.||Orndoff, W.O.|
|King, J.L.||McGhee, John||Orr, R.V.|
|King, Z.K.||McFadden, H.D.||Ostergren, W.A.|
|Knight, B.B.||McGinness, C.O.||Overbay, R.H.|
|Koessler, J.E.||McGinnis, W.C.||Owens, H.E.|
|Kost, P.E.||McGowan, H.D.||Ozier, H.E.|
|Kraft, H.C.||McKibben, R.D.||Paden, O.T.|
|Krouse, C.H.||McKleroy, W.J. Jr.||Parker, A.E.|
|Lackey, J.C.||McMahan, F.P.||Patterson, R.P.|
|Lampert, J.L.||McMahon, H.V.||Paullin, W.J.|
|Lane, R.T.||McMeekan, T.E.||Perkins, J.K.|
|Lange, Harry||McNealy, C.H. Jr.||Perkins, P.L.|
|Lanphier, Clifford||McWilliams, R.E.||Peters, R.H.|
|Lanter, D.E.||Mellny, W.F.||Phelps, Roy E.|
|Lasky, Harry||Melton F.E.||Phelps, R.G.|
|Lass, L.J.||Menke, E.L.||Ping, Gleason|
|Lawrance, L.T.||Merica, E.E.||Pinnell, R.E.|
|Lawrence, R.M.||Mercer, T.L.||Plowman, C.E.|
|Lechner, R.J.||Milam, C.C.||Plummer, C.R.|
|Lechner, R.P.||Miller, C.H.||Poehler, R.L.|
|Lee, A.L.||Miller, D.D.||Poorman, E.F.|
|Lee, Carl||Miller, F.T.||Powell, A.J.|
|Lee, James||Miller, James E.||Powers, E.H.|
|Leffler, W.B.||Miller, John E.||Prentice, H.W.|
|Leffman, A.A.||Miller, M.R.||Prentice, J.H.|
|LeGrande, C.H.||Miller, P.A.||Presler, H.F.|
|LeHares, Constandino||Miller, Wm. Alfred||Pruitt, L.B.|
|LeHares, P.D.||Miller, Wm. Alexander||Purcell, J.W.|
|Letner, O.A.||Mills, Edgar||Quebman, B.J.|
|Lewis, D.M.||Milne, G.E.||Radebaugh, B.J.|
|Lewis, W.L.||Mohler, C.E.||Ragland, H.O.|
|Lidster, H.W.||Mohler, W.G.||Ragsdale, J.R.|
|Lindsay, C.L.||Monroe, P.R.||Randol, B.N.|
|Lindsay, R.S.||Montague, J.N.||Rapp, A.T.|
|Lindsey, T.A.||Montague, N.D.||Rasmussen, M.E.|
|Lineberry, R.W.||Montgomery, C.C.||Rawlings, V.W.|
|Lively, J.M.||Moore, W.R.||Reckart, L.M.|
|Livesay, J.R.||Moran, T.J.||Redmon, G.O.|
|Lockwood, L.B.||Moritz, G.M.||Reed, S.L.|
|Lofgren, Wm.||Morris, R.G.||Reich, H.K.|
|Looper, R.O.||Morell, L.M.||Reimann, D.E.|
|Lowry, W.R.||Moseley, K.W.||Reynolds, L.|
|Luby, F.C.||Moulton, C.H. Jr.||Reynolds, W.B.|
|Luby, F.L.||Moulton, C.H. Sr.||Rhue, A.E.|
|Lucas, L.M.||Moulton, W.W.||Ribordy, L.F.|
|Lumpp, H.C.||Mullenax, G.P.||Rice, T.E.|
|Luthy, Albro||Mundhenk, Elba||Richardson, E.E.|
|Madeira, R.R.||Munson, H.A.||Richardson, G.O.|
|Maffett, C.V.||Murphy, P.H.||Riley, W.M.|
|Mallory, J.R.||Myers, E.T.||Riser, H.L.|
|Malone, C.E.||Myers, Ira||Roberts, F.E.|
|Malone, J.R.||Neal, Paul||Roberts, I.A.|
|Malone, W.M.||Neal, W.T.||Roberts, J.D.|
|Mangold, R.C.||Nelms, J.F.||Roberts, M.G.|
|Manhart, R.D.||Nelson, C.W.||Roberts, W.C.|
|Manus, Harry||Nelson, R.B.||Robertson, S.G.|
|Marek, F.J.||Nelson, T.M.||Robinson, L.L.|
|Rodebaugh, D. E.||Spangler, R. P.||Wade, H. J.|
|Rogers, F. V.||Sparks, J. W.||Walden, I. E.|
|Rosenbarger, R. V.||Spates, I. B.||Walker, J. J.|
|Runge, H. F.||Spates, W. O.||Wallace, J. E.|
|Rust, A. E.||Spaulding, H. H.||Wallace, J. L.|
|Ruster, A. M.||Speagle, B. R.||Walter, W. J.|
|Ruster, H. M.||Speer, J. A.||Waltrip, J. M.|
|Sanders, C. A.||Spidel, E. A.||Wampler, R. G.|
|Sanders, K. N.||Spurlin, M. L.||Wardel, W. D.|
|Sanders, Walter||Stansbery, T. W. H.||Ware, P. E.|
|Saunders, D. J.||Stennett, D. J.||Warner, W. D. Jr.|
|Schafer, E. H.||Stephens, O. Z.||Warren, J. L.|
|Schilling, F. S. Jr.||Stevens, J. H.||Watson, M. H.|
|Schmitt, D. G.||Stevens, M. G.||Watson, J. R.|
|Schooley, J. B.||Stevens, W. F.||Watts, G. L.|
|Schrock, H. Raybourn||Stewart, Medford||Weakley, R. G.|
|Schwart, S. W.||Stewart, W. E.||Weaver, A. P.|
|Scofield, L. E.||Stiff, W. M.||Weaver, A. V.|
|Scott, J. E.||Storm, G. I.||Weaver, J. C.|
|Scott, S. B.||Storm, J. L.||Weaver, L. E.|
|Secrest, W. H.||Storm, E. D.||Weaver, R. F.|
|Sefton, V. R.||Storm, L. M.||Weiss, Otto|
|Seibert, M. W.||Storm, T. E.||Wellbaum, E. L.|
|Senteney, H. O.||Storm, M. W.||Wells, Emmett Jr.|
|Senteney, L. W.||Stovall, L. E.||Werling, H. B.|
|Senteney, R. E.||Strohl, R. W.||West, C. J.|
|Severns, R. G.||Strohl, V. C.||Wheeler, G. E.|
|Sexson, C. O.||Strong, O. J.||Whisennan, H. M.|
|Sexson, C. M.||Stump, Jacob Jr.||White, E. S.|
|Seymour, G. E.||Sullen, H. P.||White, B. W.|
|Shadwick, T. R.||Summers, A. A.||White, F. E.|
|Shaffer, H. R.||Swank, A. F.||White, G. L.|
|Sharp, J.F.||Swank, C. E.||White, H.G.|
|Shaw, O. L.||Swanson, Jeff||White, J. H.|
|Shelton, H. A.||Swango, J. A.||Whitley, E. R.|
|Shepard, D. B.||Sweet, G. L.||Whitley, L. B.|
|Sherman, T. D.||Sweitzer, C. W.||Whitley, Richard L.|
|Shew, G. L.||Swinford, C. W.||Whitley, Robert L.|
|Shields, Don||Taylor, M. M.||Whittaker, Robert|
|Shields, J. W.||Taylor, R. O.||Wigton, M. L.|
|Shields, R. D.||Taylor, R. H.||Williams, H. E.|
|Shinn, H. E.||Terrell, H. E.||Williams, W. T.|
|Shook, D. R.||Thomas, G. L.||Williamson, Jack
Willison L. B. Jr.
|Shook, L. R.||Thompson, R. L.||Wilson, C. B.|
|Shadwick, R. H.||Thornton, C. A.||Wilson, G. E.|
|Short, G. E.||Thudium, R. N.||Wilson, L. E.|
|Siler, C. F.||Tinch, J. M.||Wilt, J. F.|
|Sims, J. R.||Tonkinson, E. E.||Winchester, F. K.|
|Simmons, E. W.||Tooley, J. W.||Winkleblack, C. B.|
|Skoglund, L. J.||Tooley, J. M.||Winfield, L. E.|
|Small, L. C.||Totten, Earl||Wood, E. B.|
|Smith, Adam||Totten, P. J.||Wood, R. E.|
|Smith, A. R.||Trimm, E. L.||Woodall, V. C.|
|Smith, A. L. R.||Troth, S. E.||Wright, J. G.|
|Smith, B. E.||Trott, John||Wright, Ordaneo|
|Smith, H. G.||Turner, D. C.||Wright, R. H.|
|Smith, J. O.||Turpin, R. B.||Wright, T.V.|
|Smith, J. F.||Tuft, T. W.||Young, Emerson|
|Smith, Jas. W.||Tweed, R. L.||Young, K. A.|
|Smith, John W.||Updike, S. P.||Zellers, W. W. Jr.|
|Smith, M. B. Jr.||Vaultonburg, Harry||Zike, O. L. Jr.|
|Smith, O. G.||Vest, Rolla||Zike, O. L. Sr.|
|Smith, R. C.||Waddell, H. B.||Zike, R. J.|
|Soland, C. O.||Wade, F. H.||Zimmerman, Otto H.|
|Zimmerman, R. A.|
OUR MASONIC TEMPLE
OFFICERS OF MATTOON LODGE No. 260
Russell Eugene Cox - Worshipful Master
Charles Malone - Senior Warden
Joseph Ethridge - Junior Warden
Leonard J. Lass - Treasurer
Earl F. Collins - Secretary
Paris J. Totten - Chaplain
Don Rodebaugh - Senior Deacon
Charles Gallagher - Junior Deacon
Everett Fuller - Senior Steward
Arnold French - Junior Steward
Dale Sherman - Marshal
J. E. Scott - Tyler