Biographies of Cook County Residents
presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails
(View the Biography Index to see a list of available names)
JOHN JOSEPH O'BRIEN, who was born in Chicago April 2, 1869, at the age of twenty entered the service of the Pioneer Electric Public Service organization of the city, and now, as president of H. M. Byllesby & Company, is head of one of the largest organizations in the public utility field in America.
H. M. Byllesby & Company for many years have offered unsurpassed facilities as engineers, financiers and managers and operators of public utilities. The company have offices in all the large cities of the country, the home headquarters being at 231 South LaSalle Street, Chicago.
Mr. O'Brien is a son of James and Bridget (Long) O'Brien, and other members of the family have also played notable parts in the affairs of the city. His father was born in County Wexford, Ireland. His grandfather, Peter O'Brien, brought the family to America in 1850, and after a residence of several years at Rome, New York, moved to Chicago in 1855. James O'Brien for many years was in the flour and seed business at Chicago and also a factor in local politics, serving as alderman from the old Ninth Ward from 1871 to 1879, later was county agent, and during one of the early administrations of Carter Harrison II was head of the City Gas & Electricity Department. He died in 1911 and his wife in 1919. They reared a large family of seven sons and three daughters. One son, Peter James O'Brien, head of a large street paving organization, was in 1900 candidate for clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County, later was a member of the Board of West Chicago Park Commissioners and a member of the Chicago Plan Commission. John Joseph O'Brien was the second son. James O'Brien, now deceased, served two terms in the Illinois Legislature and for ninny years was connected with the Pullman Company. Martin J. O'Brien was with the General Electric Company, later city comptroller of Chicago, under the Dever administration, and subsequently a member of the Chicago Drainage Board. Lawrence J. O'Brien was in the automobile business in Chicago until he retired in 1928. Robert J. O'Brien, deceased, was an attorney. William O'Brien was in the coal business, with the firm of Donley, O'Brien & Company. The three daughters were: Miss Margaret and Miss Ellen; and Mary, wife of Joseph E White, a Chicago attorney. John Joseph O'Brien was educated in parochial and public schools and a business college in Chicago, and at the age of eighteen went to work for the Pullman Company. In 1889 he took a position in the Chicago office of the United Edison Manufacturing Company. In 1892 that was merged with the General Electric Company, and he was in the accounting department of this organization until 1902. In that year he became associated with the late H. M. Byllesby in forming the Byllesby organization. He was treasurer and general auditor and on the death of Colonel Byllesby in 1924 was elected president. He is an officer and director in many of the affiliated and subsidiary organizations of the Byllesby Company, including the Byllesby Engineering & Management Corporation, the Standard Gas & Electric Company, Standard Power & Light Corporation, Philadelphia Company, Duquesne Light Company, Equitable Gas Company of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Railway Company, Louisville Gas & Electric Company, Northern States Power Company, Oklahoma Gas & Electric Company, Southern Colorado Power Company, San Diego Consolidated Gas & Electric Company, the Market Street Railway of San Francisco, California-Oregon Power Company, Mountain States Power Company, Pacific Gas & Electric Company, and others which comprise the network of public utilities in a score of states. Mr. O'Brien is a director of the Harris Trust & Savings Bank of Chicago. He is a member of the Catholic Church. He belongs to the Union League Club, Mid-Day Club, Lake Shore Athletic Club, Chicago Golf Club of Chicago, the Lawyers Club, Bankers Club, Recess Club of New York, and the Pendennis Club of Louisville. He married in 1890 Miss Julia Hoy, of Chicago. She died in 1895, leaving one daughter, Katharine J., Mrs. H. F. Carbaugh. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
FRANCIS L. BOUTELL. began the practice of law in Chicago in February, 1916. Aside from his professional attainments his name is justly one of prominence in connection with important public service as a former alderman of the city and member of the Board of County Commissioners.
Mr. Boutell was born in Wahpeton, North Dakota, in 1890, son of John and Mary E. (McCarthy) Boutell. His father was from Detroit, Michigan, and his mother from New Brunswick, Canada. When Francis L. Boutell was a very small child his parents moved to Sank Center, Minnesota, where he was reared and educated. After public schools he entered the University of Minnesota, graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1913, and soon after ward came to Chicago to continue his education in the law department of the University of Chicago. He was graduated with the degree Doctor of Jurisprudence in 1915. He has had a very successful professional record. For a number of years he has been a member of an old and well known law firm, that of Urion, Drucker, Reichmann & Boutell, at 134 South Lasalle Street.
Mr. Boutell represented the Forty-eighth Ward in the City Council of Chicago for two years, 1925-26. In November, 1926, he was elected a member of the Board of County Commissioners, and by reelection served until December, 1930. In the April primaries of 1930 he received the Republican nomination for county assessor.
Perhaps his outstanding public work was done while a member of the county board. While he interested himself in the general routine of the administration of the public affairs of Cook County his special hobby was matters relating to the administration of the Mothers' Pension Law of Illinois, for its beneficiaries in Cook County. On a number of occasions he went before the State Legislature to secure an increase in the amount of funds available for Cook County mothers, and appeared for an extended discussion of this subject during the legislative session of 1929. Cook County has been spending about a mil lion and a half dollars annually for this laud able purpose, about six or seven times the amount spent in the rest of the state. As county commissioner Mr. Boutell also sponsored the measures for grade separations throughout the county and interested himself in other matters involved in the complicated problem of relieving traffic congestion and traffic danger through the construction of super-highways.
Mr. Boutell is a member of the Union League Club, Chicago Athletic Association and Kildeer Country Club. He married Miss Sybil Struve, of Chicago. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
WILLIAM JOSEPH LYNCH is a Chicago building contractor, now president of the W. J. Lynch Company. His own organization and others with which he has been officially connected have an impressive record in the con-structural progress of Chicago during the last decade.
Mr. Lynch was born in Chicago, January 31, 1889, son of Henry and Ellen (Sweeney) Lynch. His mother is still living, at the age of eighty-three.
From 1913 to 1926 Mr. Lynch was with the Thompson-Starrett Company of Chicago, and became a vice president of that organization, one of the largest organizations of building contractors in the United States. While with the Thompson-Starrett Company he had an active part in their building operations, which during the time included the construction of the Field Museum in Grant Park, the Continental and Commercial Bank Building, the Conway Building, the Strauss Building, the new Palmer House and other notable structures in the Middle West, and also St. Mary's of the Lake Seminary at Mundelein. In 1926 Mr. Lynch established his own organization and his firm specializes in institutional work. Among other structures built by the W. J. Lynch Company in recent years may be named the Depaul Hospital at St. Louis, Missouri, St. George's High School at Evanston, St. Catherine of Sienna Church, Oak Park, The Little Company of Mary Hospital and Mundelein College, Chicago.
Mr. Lynch is a director of the Builders Association of Chicago, member of the Chicago Architects Club, the Chicago Athletic Association, the Western Society of Engineers, Beverly Country Club, South Shore Country Club, Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Church. Mr. Lynch married Miss Anne E. Dalton, who was born in Chicago, daughter of Edward Dalton. They have two children, William J., Jr., and Elizabeth Anne. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
THOMAS S. DOUGHERTY is one of the younger leaders of the Chicago bar, and is a native of Illinois, having been born on a farm in Livingston County, near the Town of Chenoa, December 7, 1890.
His parents, Richard and Ellen (Kelly) Dougherty, were born in Ireland. Richard Dougherty was brought to America in 1855, the family settling at Peoria. Ellen Kelly came to this country with her family when she was a small child, in 1860, and the Kellys also located at Peoria. Richard Dougherty is deceased and his widow lives at Chenoa.
Thomas S. Dougherty attended the Pontiac Township High School, the Illinois State Normal University, and went to the University of Michigan for his legal education. While in the law school he was called to active duty, enlisting in Company B of the Fifth Infantry Replacement Regiment, and was in training at Camp Gordon, Atlanta, until after the armistice. He then returned to the university, resumed his work in the Law School, and was graduated LL. B. in 1922. Mr. Dougherty then located in Chicago, where he has carried on a growing individual practice. He is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, Midland Club, Chi Phi Kappa national fraternity, Knights of Columbus. He is a member of the American Legion and his favorite pastime is golf and bowling.
He married Orleen Ryan, who was born at Ottawa, Illinois. Her father, John W. Ryan, was born in Livingston County, in 1860, and is now seventy-one years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Dougherty have two children, William J. and May Lucile Dougherty. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
LAWRENCE A. RICE was with the navy during the World war and since its close has enjoyed a growing and successful law practice in Chicago.
Mr. Rice was born at Des Moines, Iowa, April 1, 1894, son of Frank M. and Anna (Lawrenson) Rice. His mother was born in England. His father's ancestors came from England to America as early as 1630. Lawrence A. Rice first attended school in Des Moines, and when he was fourteen years of age the family moved to Chicago. Here he continued his education, and had the advantage of an unusually thorough academic training. For two years he attended Northwestern University and two years the University of Michigan, taking academic and law work in both institutions. He was graduated from the Chicago Kent College of Law with the LL. B. degree in 1917, receiving his degree after he had gone into active service in the navy.
Before the war he had been a member of the Illinois National Naval Reserve Militia. On April 6, 1917, the day America declared war on Germany, he was enrolled for active duty. For a year he was stationed on the
U. S. S. Vermont and in April, 1918, was detached and sent to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis. In September of that year he was assigned duty on the U. S. S. Martha Washington, in transport service over seas, and so continued until his honorable discharge in May, 1919.
Mr. Rice is a lawyer of thorough education, and during twelve years active experience has made his name well and favorably known in the Chicago bar.
His home is in Oak Park, where he has interested himself in civic and political affairs. In the spring election of 1930 he was elected a member of the board of village trustees, taking office April 1, 1930. He is a member of Oak Park Lodge No. 520, A. F. and A. M., the Royal Arch Chapter and Council degrees in Masonry, is a Phi Kappa Psi and a member of the Berwyn Club. He married Miss Harriet Bagg, of Des Moines, Iowa. They have four children, Adelaide, Martha Jane, Mary and Harriet. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
ISIDORO L. P. DEVERA, Doctor of Dental Surgery, is a native Filipino, and has been a leader in the civic, social and cultural affairs of the Filipino Colony in Chicago, which includes among others a growing number of ambitious and progressive students in the educational institutions. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Filipino Community Center.
Doctor DeVera was born at Manila, Philippine Islands, April 11, 1898, just a few weeks before the Philippines passed from the control of Spain to that of the United States. He was educated in Spanish and American schools in Manila, also began the study of dentistry there, and in 1920 was graduated with honors from the Philippine Dental College. In June of that year he passed the examination of the Philippine Dental Board. Doctor DeVera in 1922 came to the United States and located in Chicago. Here he did post-graduate work in Northwestern University School of Dentistry, one of the greatest dental schools in America. He passed the examination of the Illinois Dental Board. Since 1924 he has been engaged in a successful private practice, with offices at 1931 West Madison Street. Much of his time is taken up with his position as dental prosthesis to the Edward Hines Jr. Memorial Hospital at Maywood, conducted under the auspices of the United States Government for the benefit of disabled World war veterans. Doctor DeVera in 1923 was commissioned a dental laboratory prothesis in accordance with the United States civil service requirements, and his standing on the civil service list led to his appointment at the hospital in Maywood. In 1925 he was commissioned first lieutenant in the Dental Reserve Corps of the United States Army, and has taken part in the annual encampments at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and Fort Sheridan, Illinois.
In 1928 he voluntarily offered his services without remuneration to the school children of Chicago. In 1931 he served in the same capacity to the unemployed in the City of Chicago, doing free dental work.
Doctor DeVera is a member of the Chicago Dental Society and American Dental Association, belongs to the Pi Sigma Delta fraternity of Northwestern University, and has been an official and a leader in the work of the fraternity Phi Beta Phi. He is an official of the Filipino Association, Incorporated, of Chicago. Doctor DeVera married an American young lady, Miss Nellie Lankford, of Illinois. They have two children, Hazel and Blossom. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
MARTIN WARREN HANSON, physician and surgeon, is a native of Chicago, was a surgeon overseas during the World war, and for the past ten years has been a busy man in his profession and in a varied range of useful activities in the City of Havana.
Doctor Hanson was born June 15, 1879, son of Hans and Carrie (Vinge) Hansen. His parents were Norwegians. His father was born in Norway September 27, 1835, learned the trade of cabinet maker and came to America and settled in Chicago in 1865, when he was thirty years of age. During his later years he was in the flour and feed business. He possessed only a limited education in a literary way, but was a skillful worker, an able man in business and noted for his extreme honesty. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. He died February 26, 1925. Hans Hanson was a grandson of Anna Kolbjornsdatter, a patriotic and determined woman who while a Swedish army was advancing to attack Norway pushed a pile of logs in the narrow path and delayed the enemy until the Norwegians could assemble to repel the invasion. Her name appears among Norwegian heroines in the history of that country. Mrs. Carrie (Vinge) Hanson, now eighty-five years of age and living at Chicago, was born at Voss, Norway, October 23, 1845. She has been devoted to her home and family and is now a member of the Methodist Church. Doctor Hanson had one sister, Clara, who was born September 15, 1881, and died July 15, 1903.
Martin Warren Hanson grew up in Chicago, attended the grade and high schools of the city, and after graduating from high school in 1898 entered the University of Michigan. During his school days he was doing something to support himself. In high school he was a member of the Silent M fraternity. Several vacations he worked as a helper in the factory of the Western Electric Company and later in the office. In 1902 he was graduated with the A. B. degree from the university. He was on the University of Michigan track team and active in the literary societies. He had specialized in chemistry and after graduating became chief chemist in the laboratory of the Royal Baking Powder. In 1903, returning to Chicago, he again joined the Western Electric Company, as chemist and was engaged in research work for three years. In 1906 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Chicago, the medical department of the University of Illinois, and was graduated M. D. in 1909. He was an intern for one year in the Lutheran Deaconess Hospital of Chicago and in 1910 again resumed employment with the Western Electric Company, where he remained until 1912.
Doctor Hanson engaged in a general practice of medicine at Easton, Illinois, where he was located until America declared war on Germany. He was the first man from Mason County to enlist, was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Medical Corps, was sent to the Medical Officers Training Camp at Fort Riley, Kansas, and on November 1, 1917, was transferred to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. After a month he went to Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indianapolis, was promoted to captain, and as surgeon to the Sixtieth Engineers went overseas in June, 1918. He continued with the engineers until September 1, 1918, when he was assigned as surgeon to A. P. 0. 758 at Liffol Le Grande, which was his location until the armistice. He was then made sanitary expert for A. P. 0. 712, promoted to the rank of major, and was on active duty until February 1, 1919. He was then granted leave to go to England and take post-graduate work in surgery, and received a fellowship in medicine at London, July 15, 1919. Returning to France, he embarked on July 20 for America and received his honorable discharge at Camp Grant, Illinois, August 13, 1919.
Immediately after his return from abroad Doctor Hanson located at Havana, where he has enjoyed a very successful career as a physician and surgeon. He is a Republican, a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, member of the Chamber of Commerce of Havana, and has been on the local school board. Doctor Hanson is a man who is many-sided in his interests and activities. He enjoys all phases of outdoor life, hunting and fishing, and every summer spends several weeks with his family in his cottage on the banks of the Illinois River. He and Mrs. Hanson are fond of travel and have been to many parts of the United States. He enjoys athletic games and attends many baseball and football games during the year. Any worthy civic cause or project is sure to enlist his support. Being very fond of children, he is on the local Boy Scout committee. He has been an officer in the American Legion.
While a boy in Chicago Doctor Hanson sold newspapers and came in daily contract with a group of newsboys, participating in the usual fights and hardships of those youngsters. These boys being out on the street and always active were usually hungry, and usually they satisfied their appetites by raiding early morning bakery wagons. Some of the boys whom he knew at that time became very successful men, while a few others developed their criminal instincts, and one or two of them are now in the penitentiary. Doctor Hanson has a fine understanding of men and is greatly respected for his generous and kindly nature.
He married, January 1, 1908, Miss Alma Marie Crum. They have four children:
Clara B., born September 18, 1908; Glover C., born April 15, 1910; Franklin C., born November 28, 1914; and George, born July 3, 1917.
Mrs. Hanson, who was born in Mason County, Illinois, November 4, 1884, has a number of ancestors who have been historical characters in Illinois and other states. Her father, A. Franklin Crum, one of Mason County's outstanding citizens, a merchant, farmer, sheriff from 1906 to 1910, and now supervisor of Havana Township, was born in Mason County December 16, 1859, and lives at Havana. His ancestors came from Holland, arriving in America about 1626, he being a descendant of Anthony Crum, who was one of the two brothers that came from Holland at that time. Some of their descendants were in the Revolutionary war. The Crum family had been prominent in Holland for many generations, being connected with affairs of the government. One of them, Jacob Crum, was a commander of the Royal Army in the fifteenth century. One of the descendants of Anthony Crum was Abraham Crum, who moved to Ohio in 1823 and operated a stage coach line between Tiffin and Columbus. His son, William F. Crum, moved to Illinois when a boy, locating in Mason County. He died at an early age and is buried in that county. He was the grandfather of Mrs. Hanson. Mrs. Hanson has a sister, Mrs. Earl Colbert, of Centralia, Missouri. Her only brother, Glover William Crum, is deceased. All the Crums are Baptists and Democrats, and Mrs. Hanson's father has been a deacon in his church. He is one of the wealthy citizens of Mason County, a man highly regarded for his good judgment, and is a very entertaining story teller.
The mother of Mrs. Hanson, Cordie (Estep) Crum, was born May 16, 1865, and was married in 1883. Mrs. Hanson's family on both sides have some interesting connections with one of the most interesting localities of pioneer Illinois, New Salem, the home of Abraham Lincoln while he was getting himself ready for his larger career. Mrs. Hanson's paternal grandmother was a daughter of Jesse Baker, who knew Abraham Lincoln very intimately while both of them lived at New Salem. Jesse Baker was -born in Tennessee, in 1799, and was conspicuous as an Indian fighter. He died August 20, 1879, and is buried in Mason County. Mrs. Hanson's mother is a daughter of James Madison and Maria (Short) Estep. Mrs. Maria Estep still lives at Havana, a fine old woman greatly loved for her sweet disposition, and has always been an active worker in the Baptist Church. Maria Short is a descendant of Jacob Short, who was a member of the first Territorial Legislature of Illinois. Jacob Short acted as second in the famous Stewart-Bennette duel, Bennette, though victorious, being the first man hanged by law in Illinois. A son of Jacob Short was the James Short, whose name figures repeatedly in the early history of Abraham Lincoln. It was James Short who bought Lincoln's surveying tools when they were seized for debt and put up for auction, and James Short in many other ways befriended the struggling and aspiring young Lincoln, not only at New Salem but after he entered Illinois politics. Maria Short's grandfather, David Rice Short, was sergeant in Company F of the Fourth Volunteers in the Mexican war. The father of James Madison Estep was a soldier in the Indian wars. His name was James Estep and he was granted forty acres of land for his services.
Mrs. Hanson was educated in public schools at Easton, attended the State Normal at Normal and before her marriage taught five terms in Mason County. She has always been much interested in the history of the state and in genealogy, is well read and widely traveled. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
MAX LUSTER, a former judge of the Municipal Court of Chicago, has been a member of the Chicago bar for nearly thirty years. His professional career has been a record of honorable accomplishment, and at the same time he has gained hosts of friends who admire him for the integrity of his character, his learning, and also for the industry and de termination exercised in early life to raise himself from a humble position.
Judge Luster was born on New York City, June 26, 1873, and four months later his parents moved to Chicago. Thus he has been almost a lifelong resident of the Illinois metropolis. His education was continued in public schools until he was thirteen, after which he had to get out and make his own living, and from his earnings he started the education which he continued in night school and under private tutors. He sold newspapers, drove teams, worked as a street car conductor, be coming a street car conductor in 1893, the World's Fair year. This was his occupation until 1895. All his leisure time he devoted to his studies, and finally entered the Illinois College of Law, now the law department of DePaul University. He graduated LL. B. in the class of 1902, and in December, 1903, was admitted to the bar.
After getting well established in his professional work he was honored by nomination in 1924 for the office of judge of the Municipal Court and was elected for a regular six-year term. He made an honorable and efficient
record on the bench, establishing a high reputation as a judge and able administrator of the law. He was especially recommended for the promptness with which he handled his work in court. When he retired from the bench in December, 1930, Judge Luster resumed private practice. His associate is now his son Julian J. Luster, who graduated A. B. from the University of Illinois and LL. B. from the law department of Northwestern University.
Judge Luster married at the age of twenty-two Miss Rose Lincoln, of Chicago. Besides their son Julian there are three other sons, Arthur M., Orrin A. and Mortimer R. Judge Luster is a member of the Hamilton Club, the Covenant Club, Northwestern Fellowship Club. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic Order, the B. P. 0. Elks, the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Royal Arcanum. His office is at 134 North LaSalle Street and his home at 1404 North Kedzie Avenue. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
WILLIAM F. TRAUB is a prominent Chicago manufacturer, founder and president of the William F. Traub Range Company, located at 940 North Clark Street. Mr. Traub has also been active in fraternal organizations, particularly the Royal League, of which he is supreme archon.
Mr. Traub was born at Ann Arbor, Michigan, May 30, 1865, son of Lawrence and Katherine (Mahrley) Traub. He had only ordinary opportunities and advantages during his youth, had to be satisfied with a public school education, and when a boy served an apprenticeship to make himself self-supporting. He spent his time learning the moulder's trade and for about five years was an employee of the Michigan Stove Company. Mr. Traub in 1883 came to Chicago, and for several years was associated with the business of his brother, W. A. Traub, known as the Traub Range Company. Mr. Traub has had forty years of constant contact with the stove manufacturing business. Later he withdrew from his brother's establishment and started the William F. Traub Range Company, of which he has been the active head for the past quarter of a century. He owns a large and prosperous business and one that contributes to the general industrial prosperity of the City of Chicago.
The Royal League was started in 1883. It is an insurance beneficiary order, and now has a membership in eleven different states. Mr. Traub was supreme scribe for several years and for the past four years has been supreme archon. The headquarters of the organization are at 188 West Randolph Street. Mr. Traub is a Knight Templar and thirty second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, is a member of the Medinah Athletic Club and Medinah Country Club, also belongs to the Steuben Club, the Rotary Club, Chicago Yacht Club and Chicago Association of Commerce.
He married, June 1, 1891, Miss Adela Watson. Mrs. Traub was born in Chicago but grew up in the State of Washington. In the business of the William F. Traub Range Company Mr. Traub now has the satisfaction of having as his associates a son-in-law and his own son. His daughter, Ethel, is the wife of George H. Estabrooke, manager of the range company. Mr. and Mrs. Estabrooke reside in Evanston and have three children. The son is Burl E. Traub, who is secretary and treasurer of the William F. Traub Range Company. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
JOHN E. ERICSSON, whose name and work have been identified with the building industry in Chicago for over forty years, was ac corded a distinctive honor, one reflecting his eminent fitness and his high character as a business man and citizen, when he was invited by Mayor Cermak to accept the post of commissioner of buildings of the City of Chicago.
Mr. Ericsson, whose home has been in Chicago since early youth, was born in Torp, near Moheda, Province of Smaland, Sweden, May 23, 1868. In August, 1884, he came to America with his parents, Carl and Martha (Nilson) Ericsson. His parents were of old peasant stock of Smaland. Coming to America, they assumed the role of pioneers in a sparsely settled region of rural Minnesota, developing a farm in Martin County, that state. Carl Ericsson became one of the substantial farmers and citizens of Minnesota. He died in 1903 and his wife in 1907.
John E. Ericsson attended public schools in Stockholm and for a time attended Jacob College in that city. He was sixteen years of age when he came to America and soon after ward located in Chicago, where he began his apprenticeship at the trade of brick mason. When he was nineteen years of age he had been advanced to the responsibilities of fore man for the staff of the firm by which he was employed. In 1890 he was made superintendent, and acted in that capacity for over twelve years.
Mr. Ericsson has been a prominent building contractor for thirty years, during the period in which Chicago and other mid-western cities have practically rebuilt themselves. In 1902 he formed a partnership with his brother Henry. The firm became Henry & John Ericsson, general contractors, with headquarters in Chicago. After four years Mr. John E. Ericsson became a partners in the well known firm of contractors and builders, the Lanquist & Illsley Company. This company handled a great deal of pioneer skyscraper construction in Chicago, Detroit, Duluth, Buffalo and Milwaukee.
In 1919 Mr. Ericsson organized his own firm, the John E. Ericsson Company, with headquarters and offices at 123 West Madison Street, Chicago. Through this organization he has developed an extensive contracting business. The company has had the contract for the erection of numerous churches, office buildings, factories, hotels and other structures not only in Chicago but throughout the Middle West.
In politics Mr. Ericsson is and always has been a staunch Republican. His party allegiance has been combined with a broad and constructive influence as a citizen, and it was his civic record as well as his high standing in his particular business field that made notable his appointment by Mayor Cermak as commissioner of buildings on May 27, 1931.
During recent years Mr. Ericsson has frequently been honored with offices and positions of trust and leadership in various organizations. He is a past president of the following clubs and societies: John Ericsson Republican League of Illinois, John Ericsson Cook County Central Club, Monitor Council, Royal Arcanum, Swedish Societies Old People's Home Association, Swedish National Association of Chicago, Swedish Club of Chicago, Svithiod Singing Club of Chicago, United League Singers of Chicago and Swedish Engineers Society of Chicago. In 1930 he was president of the Stockholm Chorus, and is now president of the Swedish Glee Club of Chicago. In many ways he has sought to foster Swedish musical art in America. He is a member of the American Union of Swedish Singers and is chairman of its festival committee for the World's Fair Convention in 1933.
Mr. Ericsson is a member of the Associated Builders of Chicago and the Chicago Real Estate Board. He is a member of the Swedish-American Club, American Scandinavian Foundation, the Swedish-American Athletic Association, Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study. He belongs to the Hamilton Club of Chicago, King Oscar Lodge No. 855, A. F. and A. M., King Oscar Chapter No. 762, Order of the Eastern Star of Illinois, Oriental Consistory of the Scottish Rite, and Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine, is a member of the Medinah Athletic Club, Chicago Lodge No. 4, B. P. 0. Elks, Chicago Motor Club, Brage Lodge, Independent Order of Vikings, Unity Lodge, Independent Order of Svithiod, North Star Observatory, Chicago Association of Commerce, Press Club of Chicago and Executive Club.
The Ericsson family home is at 4530 Beacon Street, Chicago. Mr. Ericsson married, May 15, 1895, Miss Celia Peterson. She was born and reared in Chicago, daughter of Swan and Mathilda (Lonnquist) Peterson. Swan Peterson, for many years a dry goods merchant in Chicago, died in 1905, and her mother passed away in 1925. Mr. and Mrs. Ericsson are active members of the Swedish Immanuel Lutheran Church. Mrs. Ericsson especially has devoted much time and energy to church work. She fills the office of treasurer of the Immanuel Women's Home Association and was the first person to occupy the office of chairman of the Women's Life Membership Club of the Swedish Societies old people's Home Association. Mr. and Mrs. Ericsson have had three children. Their only son, Earl, died in 1913 at the age of 17, when the promise of a useful manhood had been revealed to his own family and hundreds of his associates and friends. the two daughters are Lillian, born March 31, 1899, and Vivian, born August 21, 1900. Both daughters are graduates of Beloit college of Wisconsin. Lillian is the wife of Judson Ridgeway Mills, and Vivian is Mrs. Benjamin Albert Benson. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
AMOS C. MILLER had his name placed on the roll of Chicago attorneys in 1891. His career for forty years has familiarized his name increasingly with a successful general practice and with high standing in professional organizations. Mr. Miller for many years has been head of a prominent law firm, Miller, Gorham & Wales, who now occupy offices in the One LaSalle Street Building.
Mr. Miller was born at Marshalltown, Iowa, December 16, 1866, but grew up in Ohio, at Sandusky. His parents were Wells W. and Mary (Caswell) Miller. His father was a well-to-do Northern Ohio farmer and for many years prior to his death was state secretary of the Ohio Agricultural Society.
Amos Calvin Miller graduated from the Sandusky High School and in 1889 completed his literary education in Oberlin College. He has been one of the staunch friends of his alma mater and for many years has served as one of its trustees. After graduating he came to Chicago, entering the Chicago Kent College of Law, where he took his LL. B. degree in 1891. During the following two years he was an assistant attorney with the legal staff of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Company. He engaged in private practice in 1893, and in 1895 became a member of the law firm of Lackner, Butz & Miller, with whom he remained for seventeen years. The firm of Miller, Gorham & Wales have been in existence since 1912. Mr. Miller has also lectured occasionally at the Northwestern University Law School. He is a member of the Chicago and Illinois State Bar Associations, the Chicago Law Institute, the Law Club and the Legal Club. He was president of the Chicago Bar Association in 1918-19 and is a former president of the Law Club. He is now president of the Illinois State Bar Association. Mr. Miller is a director of the Chicago Title & Trust Company and for twenty-five years was a vice president of the Firestone Tire & Rubber Company. He was a member of the Illinois Constitutional Convention of 1920-1922. He is a member of the University Club, City Club, Union League Club, Glenview Country Club and Indian Hill Club in Chicago and of the Los Angeles Country Club in California. Among other recreations he counts farming. He is a Republican and a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Mr. Miller married, December 1, 1891, Miss Jeanne Gilbert, of Cleveland, Ohio. Their children are Gilbert A., Wells W. and Norman A. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
ARTHUR L. HEREFORD has had a distinguished career as a business man and citizen of Illinois. He was educated for the law, for many years was in the newspaper business and at one time was superintendent of printing at Spring field. For the past thirty-seven years his time and energies have been taken up with life insurance work, and his outstanding achievement in that field was the organization of the Court of Honor Life Association as a fraternal beneficiary society in 1895.
Mr. Hereford was born on a farm near Secor, Illinois, April 1, 1858, youngest of the nine children of L. P. and Louisa M. (Powell) Hereford. His father was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, February 3, 1814, and was a pioneer settler of Illinois, living for several years in Clark and Tazewell counties, and in 1852 located in Woodford County, where he became a prosperous farmer, having 100 acres of land near Secor. His wife was born in Loudoun County, September 9, 1818, and passed away January 1, 1909. Their children were Thomas A., John W., Mary C., James F., Charles A., Sarah E., Oscar J., Edward L. and Arthur L. The father of this family was an industrious farmer, a good provider for his family, and was a leader in the affairs of his home locality, serving for twenty years as chairman of the Board of Supervisors. He was a staunch Democrat and was head of the County Democratic Executive Committee. His mother was a Quaker and was a grand daughter of Gen. Nathaniel Greene, one of the greatest military figures in the war of the Revolution
Arthur L. Hereford was educated in a country school, continued in a village high school, and in 1878 was graduated from the Union College of Law at Chicago. While in law school he worked as a reporter for the Chicago Tribune and Chicago News. He first practiced law at Norton, Kansas, in the northwestern corner of that state, a region then just settling up and subject to the periodical droughts and other vicissitudes that beset that portion of Western Kansas. Mr. Hereford in 1880 was nominated by the Democratic party of Kansas as candidate for attorney general. Because of a succession of dry years Mr. Hereford returned to Illinois and instead of resuming his law practice entered the newspaper business
His name is associated with several Illinois newspapers, including the El Paso Journal the Metamora Herald and Mattoon Star. He worked actively with the Democratic organization, and when the Democrats elected their state ticket in 1892 Governor John P. Altgeld appointed him, in 1893, superintendent of printing, an office he held until 1897. During that time he sold his interest in the Mattoon Star and has since had his permanent residence in Springfield.
It was in July, 1895, that thirty-six men met at Springfield and laid the foundation of the Court of Honor Life Association, of which Mr. Hereford was unanimously elected executive head. Under his guidance and direction the association made a splendid record as a fraternal beneficiary organization, and steered a course that avoided many of the pitfalls and troubles that beset such a large number of beneficiary companies. The association became recognized as a splendid life insurance concern, its business being operated strictly on the American Experience Table of Mortality, with its contracts protected by full and adequate legal reserves. In the first twenty years of the company's existence it built up a business represented by $80,000,000 of insurance in force. In September, 1922, construction was begun on a handsome new office building at Spring and Monroe streets, facing Capitol Square, and the Court of Honor Building there was completed in the spring of 1924.
The Court of Honor in 1924 became a mutual reserve life insurance company and the name was changed to the Springfield. Life Insurance Company of which Mr. Hereford was president.
In February, 1931, the Springfield Life Insurance Company and the Abraham Lincoln Life Insurance Company, both located at Springfield, were merged and adopted the name of the Abraham Lincoln Life Insurance Company and Mr. Hereford, desiring to retire from active work and responsibilities, retired from the presidency and became the chairman of the Board of Directors. He is a director of the Ridgely-Farmers State Bank, is active in the affairs of the bank and divides his time between the insurance company and the bank. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
GEORGE RUDOLPH MEYERCORD is one of Illinois' outstanding industrial leaders, and his record is especially interesting because his widespread business interests and connections have been developed almost entirely from the line of work he took up nearly forty years ago, when at the age of nineteen he organized the Meyercord Company. This company has developed its business from a specialty application of lithographing processes to the general field of decoration and ornamentation. For forty years the Meyercord Company have been manufacturers of what is known as "de calcomania transfers." The company, of which Mr. Meyercord is president, owns a model factory and office in the Austin section of Chicago, and the business employs about 400 people. Mr. Meyercord is president of two other large manufacturing concerns.
He was born at Washington Heights, Illinois, May 23, 1875, son of Philip and Marie Caroline (Seiff) Meyercord. His father came to Illinois before the Civil war. He was a horticulturist and for many years was a leading Chicago florist. George R. Meyercord attended public school in St. Louis, the Armour Institute of Chicago, and in 1894 engaged in business for himself when he organized the Meyercord Company. He was also organizer and is president of the Vitrolite Company, a company which manufactures the fire finished material "Vitrolite-Better than Marble," with a factory at Parkersburg, West Virginia. This industry employs about 600 people. Mr. Meyercord is also president of the Haskelite Manufacturing Company of Chicago and Grand Rapids, a business furnishing employment to about 400 persons.
My Meyercord besides his constructive work in building up these lines of business has in recent years been frequently honored with responsibilities in connection with the broader development of trade and industry. He is president of the Lithographers National Association, is a director of the of the Association of Arts and Industries, is vice president of the American Protective Tariff League and of the Home Market Club. He is a former president of the Illinois Manufacturers Association and is president of the American Foreign Credit Underwriters.
He is a Republican, member of the Methodist Church, and among his social and recreational connections he numbers the Chicago Athletic Association, union League Club, MidDay Club, Edgewater Golf Club, Boblink Golf Club and Illinois Golf Club.
Mr. Meyercord married, August 23, 1905, Miss Agnes Adams of Chicago. Their children are Agnes Marie, Margaret Elizabeth, wife of Albert Robinson Pyott; George, Jr., Edward Bernard and Helen. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
HON. WILLIAM C. WERMUTH. One of the leaders of the Illinois bar, Hon. William C. Wermuth, master in chancery of the Superior Court of Cook County, is a Chicagoan by birth, training and experience. Admitted to practice in 1911, his professional work has called him into all the courts of the state and to the highest federal tribunal, the Supreme Court of the United States. Mr. Wermuth is also widely known as an author on legal subjects and has prominent connections in civic and social life at Chicago.
William C. Wermuth was born at Chicago January 28, 1888, and is a son of Dr. William C. and Emma H. (Ulrich) Wermuth. Dr. William C. Wermuth was born in Wisconsin, where he was reared and received his early education. He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Chicago, and became a pioneer physician on the far Northwest Side, at that time a somewhat isolated territory. Doctor Wermuth rode horse back to take care of his patients over a wide area, and so extensive was his clientele, and so arduous his labors, that he literally "wore out" several horses during his career. In the early days he had many thrilling experiences, and on one occasion was blindfolded and driven to the bedside of a man who was evidently a gangster or escaped convict who had been injured and who feared to have his whereabouts known. Doctor Wermuth was one of the progressive men of his calling and was the first in his section to adopt a telephone. Later, as his skill became known and recognized, he became chief surgeon of the staff of the German Hospital (later Grant Hospital), chief of the surgical staff of Frances Willard Hospital and lecturer. He was also the inventor of many appliances that proved valuable to his calling, including the famous Wermuth arm sling, which was universally adopted. Mrs. Wermuth was also a native of Wisconsin. William C. Wermuth attended private schools in Chicago and graduated from Evanston Academy in 1905. He graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science from Northwestern University as a member of the class of 1909. He received the degree of Master of Science from Northwestern University in 1911, and in 1911 was also given the degree of Bachelor of Laws by the same university. He was admitted to the Illinois bar in 1911, and in 1914 was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. He has been constantly engaged in the practice of his profession since 1911 and is now one of Chicago's best known and most successful attorneys, occupying offices at 140 North Dear born Street. From 1912 until 1914 he was a lecturer at Northwestern University Law School, and his literary efforts have brought him much attention. He is the author of Illinois Forms and Precedents, Law of Contracts, and was associate editor of a fifteen-volume work, Modern American Law, and has been a frequent contributor to the bar journals. He is a valued member of the board of managers of the Chicago Bar Association, the Chicago Law Institute, the Illinois State Bar Association and the American Bar Association, and holds membership also in the Sigma Nu and Phi Beta Kappa fraternities, the Germania Club, Chicago Yacht Club, the Collegiate Club and the Westmoreland Country Club, and has reached the fourth degree of the Knights of Columbus, belonging also to the National Union.
On June 18, 1913, Mr. Wermuth was united in marriage with Miss Phyllis R. Donlin, daughter of William J. Donlin, an attorney in Chicago, and to this union there have been born three children: William Charles III, Phyllis Kathryn and Robert Paul. The pleasant Wermuth home is situated at 1139 Farwell Avenue, Chicago. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
ALEXANDER J. RESA. A member of the prominent law firm of McKay, Resa & Russell, Alexander J. Resa has risen steadily to a commanding position at the Chicago bar. A native of the Windy City, he commenced practice in 1911, and not only has gained a substantial reputation as a reliable, thorough and energetic lawyer, but is likewise widely known in the lecture field and in those movements which attract men of trained abilities and well-developed intellects.
Mr. Resa was born at Chicago, August 4, 1887, and is a son of William Frederick and Agnes Devitis (Bodden) Resa. His parents, natives of Wisconsin, where both were educated and reared, came to Chicago in 1886, not long after their marriage, and here the father established the successful contracting and transportation business operated under the name of the William F. Rem Company.
Alexander J. Resa attended the grade, high and preparatory schools of Chicago and Kirkwood (Missouri) College, following which he pursued his professional studies at John Marshall Law School, from which he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Laws as a member of the class of 1911. He was admitted to the bar during the same year and immediately entered practice, for a time being alone but subsequently becoming a member of his present firm of McKay, Resa & Russell, with offices at 160 North LaSalle Street, Room 1725. He has won his way to recognition as an attorney thoroughly grounded in principles, precedents and procedure and has participated in much litigation of an important character. In the fall of 1929 he became a candidate of the Republican party for the office of judge of the Municipal Court, and at that time the report of the Chicago Bar Association was: "He has a good reputation. He is a well grounded lawyer and is well qualified for the office." Mr. Resa is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and served on the Municipal Courts Committee of that body, and also belongs to the Chicago Law Institute. For ten years he has been an instructor in law in the John Marshall Law School, teaching both undergraduate and post-graduate classes, has delivered lectures on logic, is the author of Elements of Practical Logic, and has contributed numerous articles to various legal publications. A member and a past master of Cosmopolitan Lodge No. 1020. A.F. and A.M., he has delivered lectures on the historical significance of Masonic symbolism.
Mr. Resa is unmarried and resides at 636 Waveland Avenue, Chicago. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
CARL FESTIN was a young man of twenty-three years when he was attracted to Chicago by its World Columbian Exposition of 1893, and in the intervening years he has here wrought out a worthy and substantial success in business affairs, proved a loyal and progressive citizen and here has had much of leader ship in the affairs of those sterling citizens who, like himself, are of Swedish birth or ancestry. successfully engaged in the real-estate and building business, as senior member of the firm of Festin & Harmon, he and his associate have their office headquarters at 610 East Seventy-fifth Street and are doing splendid service in advancing the civic and material development of that district of the South Side of the Chicago metropolitan area. Mr. Festin is vice president of the Chicago Chapter of the Swedish Cultural Society and also of the South Side Swedish Club, the while his reminiscent and still vital interest in the great exposition that led to his coming to Chicago is indicated in his being vice president of the Association of '93rs, concerning which specific information is given on other pages, in the personal sketch of its founder and president, Delos A. Ward.
Mr. Festin was born in Sweden in the year 1870, much of his youthful education was obtained in the public and technical schools in the fair old City of Stockholm and in his native land he served an apprenticeship that made him a skilled artisan as painter and decorator. Just prior to the opening of the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893, like many other young men of Europe, he came to Chicago, where he arrived that summer. He had no knowledge of the English language, but notwithstanding this handicap he found employment with a firm of painters engaged in business on a small scale, with a shop at Cottage Grove Avenue and Thirty-first Street. In 1894 he did janitor work of common order, including the sweeping of floors, at Dearborn Station, and for this service his remuneration was very small. He next found employment in a small grocery store at Halsted and Fifty-ninth streets, where his compensation was two dollars a week. He next advanced himself by taking a position as salesman in a clothing store at Wentworth Avenue and Thirty-first Street, where he remained nine years, the while he gradually perfected him self in the use of the language of his adopted land. At the expiration of the period noted his resources were such that he was enabled to engage independently 'in business, by opening a retail clothing store in the same locality in which he had been employed. He there conducted a successful business until 1913, when he sold his store and turned his attention to the real-estate and building business, with headquarters on East Seventy-fifth Street, where the firm of Festin & Harmon now controls a substantial and well ordered business along these important communal lines of enterprise. The district about Cottage Grove Avenue and East Seventy-fifth Street has shown remarkable development within the past few years and here has been developed an important business center of the South Side. Mr. Festin had made a large contribution to this development. He has taken pride in encouraging home ownership in his community and is liberal and progressive as a citizen.
Mr. Festin has had much of leadership in the affairs of the fine element of Swedish citizens in Chicago, especially in the South Side region of the city. He was a leader in the movement that made possible the erection of the beautiful building of the South Side Swedish Club, at Ridgeland Avenue and Seventy-third Street and he is president of this representative club at the time of this writing, in 1929, besides being president of the Chicago Chapter of the Swedish Cultural Society, of which international organization he is a vice president. He has been for many years a member of the board of trustees of Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, the oldest church of this denomination on the South Side of Chicago. In the Masonic fraternity he is affiliated with both York and Scottish Rite bodies, as well as the Mystic Shrine, and he has just reason to be proud of the distinction that came to him in 1928, when the King of Sweden created him a Knight of the Order of Vasa, and thus paid honor to a native son who had by character and achievement conferred honor upon the land of his birth.
The intrinsic loyalty of Mr. Festin to the land of his adoption was shown in 1898, when he volunteered for service in the Spanish-American war. He enlisted in the old and famed First Illinois Infantry, and in the World war period he likewise gave loyal service, both as a civilian and as an attache of the Chicago office of the quartermaster department of the United States Army, besides which he did yeoman service in furthering the sale of the Government war bonds among the Swedish people of this nation, he having been a forceful public speaker in this connection in his campaign in the New England States. Both he and his wife are zealous communicants of the Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, of which he is a trustee also, as previously noted. Mrs. Festin, whose maiden name was Marie Soderbund, was born and reared in Chicago, where her father established residence in 1869, upon coming from his native Sweden, and where he became a successful contractor. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
JOHN W. WEISS is a prominent Chicago architect, senior member of the firm of Weiss & Niestadt, architects and engineers, with offices in the Fisler Building. The design of industrial building is the special field in which this firm has had its notable triumphs and success.
Mr. Weiss has lived most of his life in Chicago. He was born at Weiden, Southern Germany, son of Andrew and Susannah Weiss. His parents spent all their lives in Germany. His father was an architect and building con tractor, and it was doubtless from his father that John W. Weiss drew his early inspiration and determination to follow a line of work for which his temperament and abilities peculiarly fitted him. While in Germany he attended grammar and high schools and at the age of sixteen came to the United States and located in Chicago. Here while earning his living by work in the drafting room of an architect's office, he also profited by the instruction of a night school. Mr. Weiss in 1884 became an employee of the noted Chicago architect, Edward Bawmann. It was his good fortune to be associated with this firm and their successors for twenty-three years, and for several years he was the chief draftsman.
In 1913 he withdrew to engage in business for himself. He was member of the firm Davidson & Weiss until 1922, in which year he formed a partnership with Mr. George W. Niestadt. Weiss & Niestadt during the ten years they have been in business have handled an immense amount of the work found in industrial construction throughout the Chicago metropolitan district, and they have also de signed and built factories in the states of. New York and Michigan. Mr. Weiss has charge of the office and drafting room while Mr. Niestadt as engineer is superintendent of construction of outside work. They have done a considerable amount of home designing, but their chief attention is industrial architecture. Some of the outstanding buildings which attest their skill and are the basis of the reputation of the firm may be mentioned. These include the W. F. Hall Printing Company Building at Chicago, several large buildings for the Taylor Forging Pipe Works, the Miehie Printing Press Company Building, the Vortex Cup Company plant in Chicago, a factory for the General Engineering Work at Chicago, buildings for the F. H. Noble Company of Chicago, the National Lock Company of Rockland, Illinois, the Pullman Car Company at Pullman.
Mr. Weiss is a member of the Architects Club of Chicago, the Illinois Society of Architects and the American Institute of Architects. He is a member of all the Masonic bodies, including North Shore Lodge No. 937, A. F. and A. M., and Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He acknowledges two hobbies, one the work at his office and the other gardening at home.
He married in 1899 Miss Anna E. Griesbach. She was born and educated in Chicago. They have a daughter, Lillian K., who is the wife of Harold G. Love. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
HARRY A. ASH is engaged in the practice of law in his native City of Chicago and is here serving as assistant attorney general of Illinois, in which capacity he is assigned supervision of the important inheritance tax division under Attorney General Carlstrom, the major branch of which division is centered in Chicago.
Mr. Ash was born in Chicago February 27, 1894, and is a son of Samuel and Martha (Ash) Ash. His public-school discipline included that of the high school, and in preparing himself for his chosen profession he completed the prescribed course in the Chicago Kent college of Law, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1915. After receiving his degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1915 he was identified with commercial enterprises in Chicago until 1917. He served in the United States Army, received preliminary training at Syracuse, New York, and thence being transferred to the signal officers training camp at Camp Meade, Maryland, where he completed his course of training for the signal corps and where he was stationed at the time the historic armistice brought the war to a close. He remained at Camp Meade some time thereafter and received his honorable discharge in January, 1919.
Upon his return to Chicago, Mr. Ash entered upon the active practice of his profession, with special attention given to legal phases of Federal taxes, income taxes and estate matters, particularly in connection with LaSalle Street financial concerns. He specialized in this particular field of law work, and recognition of this undoubtedly led Attorney General Oscar Carlstrom to select him as assistant attorney general of Illinois and his assignment to the inheritance tax division, in 1925. He has handled the multifarious, involved and important affairs of this division with characteristic loyalty and efficiency, and his administration has in the fullest sense justified his appointment to the office in which he has thus served continuously since 1925. The inheritance tax department is located at 33 North LaSalle Street, Chicago. The division or department of which he has supervision, under the direction of Attorney General Carlstrom, brings to the state an annual revenue varying from eight to nine million dollars. Mr. Ash is a Republican in political allegiance, and has membership in the American Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association. He finds a medium of recreation through his active memberships in the Glen Oak Country Club and Bryn Mawr Country Club. In Chicago was solemnized his marriage to Miss Edna Erickson, and they reside at 5555 Sheridan Road, Chicago. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
FRANK HAMLINE SCOTT is senior member of one of the largest law firms in the City of Chicago, Scott, MacLeish & Falk, at 134 South LaSalle Street.
Mr. Scott, who began the practice of law in Chicago in 1878, just a year after Judge E. F. Dunne became an active member of the bar, was born at Tipton, Iowa, January 1, 1857, son of Washington and Amelia (Kline) Scott.
Frank H. Scott was educated in Chicago, graduating from the Union College of Law in 1878. In 1876 he received his Master of Arts degree from Northwestern University. He is a member of the Chicago, Illinois State and American Bar Associations and is a Democrat in politics. Mr. Scott was president of the Union League Club of Chicago in 1918-19, was president of the Law Club in 1909-10, and president of the City Club in 1903-04. He is also a member of the Chicago Historical society, the Chicago Club, Chicago Literary Club, University Club, Onwentsia Club, Old Elm Club and Wayfarers Club.
Mr. Scott married, in 1882, Edith Kribben, of St. Louis. She had two children, Bertram Delafield and Marion Sturges. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
FRED J. LOYDA has won an enviable standing as a Chicago attorney. He has downtown offices near the courthouse, at 180 West Washington Street, and much of his professional time is also taken up with official duties at his home in Cicero.
Mr. Loyda was born in the City of Prague, Czecho-Slovakia, the ancient capital of Bohemia. When he was eleven months of age his parents came to Chicago, and that city has been practically his lifelong environment. He was educated in Chicago schools, and in 1919, was graduated with the LL. B. degree from the Chicago-Kent College of Law.
During the World War Mr. Loyda served the Government in two branches of war service. He was with that splendid organization known as the American Protective League, which proved such a valuable ally to the Department of Justice. In this he held the rank of lieutenant. He was also enlisted with the colors and was in training for the Aviation Corps, being on duty at Kelly Field at San Antonio and other fields in Texas.
Mr. Loyda began his law practice in 1919. He has handled many important cases in all the courts of Cook County and the City of Chicago. As a citizen he has enjoyed numerous honors in his home Town of Cicero. He is a justice of the peace, was assistant attorney for the Town of Cicero, and was attorney for the Cicero park board, trustee of the Town of Cicero. Politically he is a Republican. He is a member of the Bohemian Club, the B. P.0. Elks and the Edgewood Golf Club. Mr. Loyda married Miss Ella Peter, of Chicago. They have a daughter, Alice. His home is at 2446 South Fifty-sixth Avenue. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
RICHARD BENTLEY is a Chicago attorney, a young man representing two families that have been distinguished in Chicago's business, professional and civic affairs for several generations, and upon whom have devolved unusual honors for his years.
His grandfather, Cyrus Bentley, a native of New York State and of early American ancestry, came to Chicago in the '50s. He was a lawyer, and his name is repeatedly mentioned in connection with Chicago's institutional affairs, he having been elected the first president of the Chicago Y. M. C. A., was active in relief and charitable organizations and at one time was secretary of the board of the old Chicago University. His son, also named Cyrus Bentley, has for nearly fifty years been a leading lawyer of the city, and is senior counsel to the law firm of which his son Richard Bentley is a member. The Cyrus Bentley graduated with the A. B. degree from Yale University in 1882, and in 1884 took his law degree from Union College of Law, now the law department of Northwestern University. He was born in Chicago, in 1861, a son of Cyrus and Anna (Riley) Bentley. Cyrus Bentley II married in 1888 Elizabeth King, a daughter of Henry W. King. Henry W. King was born in New York State, in 1828, came to Chicago in 1854, entering business on South Water Street, and in 1868 he and W. C. Browning and other associates organized the wholesale clothing house of Henry W. King & Company, which after the fire moved to the wholesale clothing district around Market and Franklin streets. This company also established and maintained a number of retail clothing organizations, the most famous being the firm of Browning, King & Company, one of the oldest retail clothing houses in Chicago. Henry W. King was also prominent in charitable work, and was president of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society during the period of the great fire and was a member of a number of other charitable organizations. One of the King ancestors was Governor Brad ford of the Plymouth Colony, and through that connection Richard Bentley has membership in the Society of Mayflower Descendants.
Richard Bentley was born June 5, 1894, at Elmhurst, Illinois. He attended the Francis W. Parker School in Chicago, the Hill School at Pottstown, Pennsylvania, and in 1917 took his A. B. degree at Yale University. He was given the degree about two months in advance of the time of regular graduation to permit him to volunteer for service in the World war. At the First Officers Training Camp at Fort Sheridan he was commissioned a second lieutenant, was sent to Camp Grant at Rockford, advanced to first lieutenant, and later was promoted to captain at Camp Travis, Texas, where he was assigned to the Eighteenth Division, in command of the ma chine gun company of the Eighty-fifth Infantry.
The war over, Captain Bentley returned to Chicago and in 1921 received the LL. B. degree from the law department of Northwestern University. In February, 1922, he was admitted to the bar, and for eight years has applied himself to the opportunities and work of the large general law practice in the firm of Cassels, Potter & Bentley.
Richard Bentley is a scion of the older generation of Chicagoans with a keen sense of his civic responsibilities. What is at once a great honor and great responsibility is the office of president of the Legislative Voters League of Illinois, now held by Mr. Bentley. All friends of good government in Illinois recognize the incalculable value of the service of this organization, which was started in 1902, at first being limited to Cook County, and later its field broadened to cover the entire state. It is a strictly non-partisan league, its chief purpose being to afford publicity on the work of the legislators so that the voters can form a correct judgment regarding candidates for the Legislature.
Mr. Bentley is also a member of the board of managers of the Chicago Bar Association, is assistant secretary of the American Bar Association and member of the Illinois State Bar Association. He is former president of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Club of Chicago, is president of the Yale Club, member of the University Club, Chicago Club, Onwentsia Club. He has been a director of the City Club. Mr. Bentley's home is at Lake Forest, where he is a member of the library board.
He married Miss Phoebe Wrenn Norcross. Her grandfather was the late John H. Wrenn, long prominent in Chicago brokerage circles and also a noted book and art collector, owning a valuable private library and collection of etchings. Mr. and Mrs. Bentley have three children, Cyrus III, Alice Wrenn and Barbara. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
AVERN B. SCOLNIK is a Chicago attorney, busy with the practice in his office at 10 South LaSalle Street, and in the courts, but the range of his associations as a professional man do not limit his contacts with life. Probably from his ancestors he inherited the soul of the artist, and unlike many men who follow intensive careers he has not allowed the windows opening into the world of beauty to become fogged. While studying law and gaining a foothold in his profession he supported him self with his violin, and he is one of the prominent members of a group of Chicago business and professional men who keep in touch with music not merely as listeners but as performers in the Chicago Business Men's Orchestra an organization which, in the words of the Chicago Tribune musical critic, Edward Moore, "deserves the name of amateurs in the true sense of the word, that is, lovers of music. In the commonly accepted sense which implies immaturity and imperfection, they do not deserve it at all."
It was his fundamental taste for music that guided Mr. Scolnik in his choice of a life companion. His wife is the famous "Amy Neill," as she is known on the concert stage, and she has been acclaimed by a host of admirers and critics as "the greatest of women violinists."
Avern B. Scolnik was born in New York City, in November, 1895, attended public schools and the New York University, and from boyhood has played and studied the violin, and through that instrument has come to a mature understanding of the great world of music. His professional playing paid his expenses through the music department of New York University, where he was graduated with the degree Mus. B. in 1914. In the same year he came to Chicago, found opportunities as a professional musician in this city, and at the same time carried on his studies in the Illinois College of Law, from which he was graduated with the LL. B. degree in 1917.
Military service is another chapter in Mr. Scolnik's career. In the spring of 1917 he entered the First Officers Training School at Fort Sheridan. He was commissioned a first lieutenant, was assigned duty in the intelligence department of the army, and until after the armistice was stationed at Camp Grant and then at Washington. He is a member of the Reserve Officers Association, the American Legion, Masonic fraternity and Shrine.
With the close of the war he returned to Chicago and took up the practice of law. He was appointed and served as assistant state's attorney under Maclay Hoyne, and since then has built up a gratifying volume of general law practice. He is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity. Mr. Scolnik is a member of the Bohemian Club, the Hamilton Club of Chicago and the Cliff Dwellers. For a number of years Mr. Scolnik has been active in the Chicago Business Men's Orchestra. He is treasurer of the organization, and one of the prominent members of the violin section of this symphony organization, made up of ninety or a hundred representative Chicagoans in business and professional spheres who once a week assemble and go through an orchestral rehearsal under the direction of Clarence Evans of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Many of the performers in the orchestra are men of the broadest musical education, some of them having studied in the foremost conservatories of this country and Europe. Once a year they gave a public concert, and as Edward Moore said, following the concert in May, 1930, "it in many ways be-
comes one of the highly interesting events of the season. They employ no professional musicians whatever, even at the strategic points where such musicians usually are found in amateur orchestras, yet in both program and performance the professional manner obtained," continued Mr. Moore.
The soloist at this 1930 public performance was Mrs. Scolnik, who, in the words of the Tribune critic, "is a wise, accomplished and expert musician, who gave to her solo number a superb performance, with a tone whose breadth and qualities she has seldom equaled and a technical performance beyond reproach." The musical critic of the Herald-Examiner declared that "for beauty and variety of tone, eloquence of musical address, distinction of style, authority, ease and complete technical perfection, the performance could not have been bettered."
Mrs. Scolnik is a native daughter of Chicago. She inherited a rich background of musical tradition, her grandfather and great-grandfather having been organists of the Cathedral in Belfast, Ireland. Her wonderful gifts were discovered during her student career in Chicago. Afterwards she spent two years in Europe, where she appeared in recital and with orchestras in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Vienna, and since her return she has won admiring plaudits of exacting critics in both America and Europe. Repeatedly she has won that tribute rarely bestowed upon woman violinists of superb mastery of the instruments without apologies for the limitations of sex. Both Mr. and Mrs. Scolnik possess violins of wonderful musical qualities and of rare value. Mr. Scolnik's instrument is a Gagliano, bearing the date of 1772. That of Mrs. Scolnik is a certified Joseph Guarnerius del Jesu, dated 1736, and leading collectors of two continents have placed a value upon it of $50,000. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
RALPH H. MARTIN is one of the younger men in Chicago business affairs, but in the opinion of his friends and associates has for several years been at the top of his profession in real estate. Mr. Martin now has charge of the extensive property interest of Vincent Bendix, in the capacity of assistant to Mr. Bendix.
He was born at Kentland, Newton County, Indiana, in 1893, son of Charles T. and Sarah (Harriman) Martin. He was reared in Northwestern Indiana, attended public schools there and in 1910 went to Philadelphia to enroll in the University of Pennsylvania. While in Philadelphia he had the good fortune to secure an opening in the executive offices of Thomas E. Mitten, the famous traction magnate. Mr. Mitten before going to Philadelphia had brought about the organization of the surface lines in Chicago, and in Philadelphia continued a notable career in traction organization and in the operation of extensive engineering and public utility projects. It was in this organization and under such splendid auspices that Mr. Martin began his career.
During the World war he was with the Emergency Fleet Corporation, employed chiefly in the construction operations of that organization in the vicinity of Philadelphia. Mr. Martin in 1920 located in Chicago and for a little over a year was with the packing firm of Wilson & Company. He then joined Baird & Warner, Incorporated, one of the oldest and most important firms of real estate operators and property managers in Chicago. Baird & Warner have long enjoyed a reputation for attracting some of the ablest men in their field into their organization. Mr. Martin while with Baird & Warner specialized so that he came to be known as an authority on loop business property. Thus he was as signed to or initiated himself with some notable transactions for the firm, running up into many millions of dollars.
It was his success while with Baird & Warner that attracted to him the attention of Mr. Vincent Bendix, head of the Bendix Corporation. It was at the personal invitation and request of Mr. Bendix that Mr. Martin took a position on Mr. Bendix's personal staff in 1930. The Bendix Corporation are the largest manufacturers in the country of some of the most highly technical parts of automobiles and airplanes, including the Bendix brake and Bendix drive.
Mr. Martin is a member of the Kildare Country Club and the Union League Club. He married Miss Marion Greene. Their four children are William B., Marion Elizabeth, Jeanne and Ralph H., Jr. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
BARNEY COHEN, a recognized power in Illinois labor circles for many years, was the first man selected by Governor Lowden, when the state government was reorganized on a departmental basis, to fill the office of director of labor.
Mr. Cohen has had a colorful career. He was born in Prussia. He came to Chicago when a child, in 1870, had very limited opportunities to attend school, and his successful career of work and service has been the result of his natural intelligence, his gifts as a leader, and his tremendously energetic way of doing whatever he undertakes to do. When he was nine years of age he was put to work in a cigar factory. On reaching the age of fourteen he qualified as a journeyman cigar maker, and has held a card in the Cigar Makers International for forty-two years. When he was twenty-one years of age he was elected president of the Cigar Makers Union. From that time forward he has been one of the soundest counsellors and leaders in labor circles in Illinois. Mr. Cohen served as president of the Illinois Federation of Labor for three consecutive years, 1904-06. In 1903 he was appointed deputy factory inspector by Governor Deneen and was reappointed to that office by Governor Dunne in 1912. Mr. Cohen from 1906 to 1910 conducted a cigar factory.
In 1916 he was chosen the first director of the Department of Labor by Governor Low-den and served until the Small administration. He was then appointed by President Harding director of labor of the Third District, comprising five states, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio. From this position he resigned to accept the appointment from Governor Emmerson as director of labor and again became head of that department in August, 1929.
The Department of Labor has for its general functions the improvement of labor conditions in Illinois. Mr. Cohen has a large personnel under his direction and these are engaged in the enforcement of the inspection laws, having to do with license employment agencies, enforcing the laws regulating factories, work shops, stores and other industries where labor is employed, supervising and regulating state free employment agencies and also the department collects and disseminates data and information relative to labor.
Mr. Cohen married in 1892 Miss Sarah Strauss. She was born in London and was reared and educated in New York. They have three children: Albert, a salesman in Chicago; Lawrence, traveling salesman for a clothing house and a resident of Chicago; and Maude, wife of Joseph H. Weil, general manager of coal company in Chicago.
Mr. Barney Cohen is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, belonging to a lodge in Chicago and the Consistory and Shrine at Springfield. He is also affiliated with Lodge No. 4, B. P. D. Elks, in Chicago and is a member of several clubs. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
MICHAEL F. RYAN is a prominent Chicago attorney, with offices at 1 North LaSalle Street Building, and was born in Chicago October 20, 1890.
His father was the late Capt. John J. Ryan, for many years well known in the Chicago police department. He was born in Ireland, came to America and lived in Chicago from the time he was eighteen years of age. He married in Chicago Bridget O'Meara, who came from Ireland to this country when fifteen years of age. Captain Ryan spent most of his active career in the Chicago police department, his courage and fidelity resulting in pro motions until he was captain, and he held that rank at the time of his death, on September 24, 1924.
Michael F. Ryan was educated in parochial schools, the Visitation School, the De LaSalle Institute, and graduated LL B. from the Chicago Kent College of Law in 1911. He has practiced law for twenty years and his practice has been of a varied and interesting nature. He has handled many cases in chancery, corporation, banking, probate and civil service law. He is also an authority on civil service law.
Mr. Ryan was attorney for the Chicago police department in 1912 and at the same time was editor of the National Police Magazine. Largely through his personal efforts his father was reinstated as a captain of police after he had been discharged. Mr. Ryan in 1919 was a candidate for alderman from the Twenty-ninth Ward. In 1922 he was a candidate for judge of the Municipal Court, and as a Democrat in a year when city and state elections went strongly Republican, he came so nearly being elected that a recount of the ballots was necessary for a final decision.
Mr. Ryan is a member of the Chicago Law Institute, the Chicago, Illinois and American Bar Associations, the South Shore Country Club, Illinois Athletic Club, Midland Club and Beach View Club. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Irish Fellowship Club. His home is at 6738 Merrill Avenue. He married, October 18, 1916, Marion Cahill, who was born in Chicago. Her father was Daniel J. Cahill, prominent Democratic leader in the county. Daniel Cahill was also a native of Chicago, and died in 1926. He was a son of Joseph and Rose Cahill, pioneers of Chicago. ("ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by Kim Torp)
©Illinois Genealogy Trails