Illinois Genealogy Trails logo
Biographies of Cook County Residents
presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails

(View the
Biography Index to see a list of available names)



Abel A. Kay was born January 1, 1801, in Yorkshire, England, and was reared in his native land, where he learned the trade of shoemaker. He was married in England to Miss Elizabeth Marshall, and in 1843 they came with their family, comprising eight children (and a daughter-in-law), to America. They came in the sailing-vessel “Shakespeare,” the voyage taking six weeks and two days, and the passage being very rough. From New York they traveled to Albany, thence by way of the Erie Canal to Buffalo, and from there to Chicago through the Great Lakes, the last voyage occupying two weeks, thus making the entire time in coming from England to Chicago nearly three months.
Mr. Kay bought a farm of ninety-three and one-third acres of fertile soil, in Jefferson Township, for five hundred dollars. It was an improved farm with a large house and barn, fenced, and partly in cultivation, being located one mile north of the Jefferson depot. He also bought ten acres of timber land, and continued to live on his farm until his death, which occurred in 1847. His wife survived him forty years, expiring in 1887, at the age of eighty-four years, having been born in 1803. Mr. Kay was a Methodist in his religious belief, and was a true Christian, giving his sympathy to members of all denominations. He took an active part in religious matters, and for many years his house was a meeting place for all denominations, and many services were held there. Mr. and Mrs. Kay had the following children: Ann, who married Loren McClanathan, and died in March, 1847, soon after her marriage; Abel, who died June 16, 1889, leaving one son, who is now dead, and a daughter, who is the wife of Thomas Wheldon, of Cook County; Elizabeth, who married Thomas Burkill and died in August, 1896, leaving a large family of children (Almira, wife of James Carpenter, a resident of Cook County; Thomas A., a resident of Jefferson; Sydney, who dropped dead on the day following the death of his mother; Althea Moisley, who lives in Mayfair; Stella, who married William Ditcher, and lives in Jefferson; Alice, now Mrs. Klink, of Mayfair; Scott, a resident of Jefferson); Frances, who married Loren McClanathan, September 16, 1849; Jane, who married Edward Gray, and died, leaving two children, Lida and Emma; Emma, who married William Myers, and died, leaving seven children (Eliza Young; Anna, wife of Charles Low, of Norwood Park; William; Ella, now Mrs. Stockbridge, who lives in Jefferson; Clarence, who resides in Jefferson; Ida, of Dakota; and Frank, a resident of Jefferson); John and Joseph Kay, who still live on the old homestead. (Album of Genealogy & Biography, Cook County, IL, Page 640) [Transcribed by Mike Murphy -
source #26]



Loren McClanathan was born January 24, 1818, in Madison County, New York. He was educated in the schools of New York, and after he became of age he went to the Southern States, teaching at one time in Kentucky. In 1843 he came to Chicago, and here he married his first wife soon after. He was a currier by trade and was for a short time foreman in a currier shop. In 1855 Mr. McClanathan taught school in Jefferson Township. In 1856 he entered the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad Company as a conductor, and remained with it until a short time previous to his departure for the South, to engage in the defense of his country. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Union army, and was one of General McClellan’s body guard, in which capacity he served a year and a half, when he was transferred to the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, Company I, and was discharged March 18, 1864, on account of disability. He took part as a private in the battles fought in front of Richmond, while McClellan was in command of the army. After the war he returned to Chicago, where he was made yardmaster of the Great Eastern Yards, having charge of passenger trains. September 16, 1849, he married Miss Frances Kay, and when he died, January 20, 1895, he left two children, as follows: Loren B., who resides in Boston; and Harriet A., wife of Henry Elkins, of Chicago. One child, Lucien L., died in 1893, at the age of thirty-nine years. Mr. McClanathan was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, being connected with Winfield Scott Post, No. 445, of Chicago. He took an active interest in the questions of the day, and was a Republican in political opinion. He was a well-informed man, and a public-spirited and valuable citizen. (Album of Genealogy & Biography, Cook County, IL, Page 640) [Transcribed by Mike Murphy - source #26]


John Kay was born April 14, 1842, in Yorkshire, England, at Borrow Bridge. He is a son of Abel Archdale and Elizabeth (Marshall) Kay, both of whom were born in the same locality, which was the home of their families. Abel A. Kay was a poor man, and his wife was the daughter of a wealthy landowner. They came to America with their eight children in 1843, and went direct to the hotel of Charles McDonald, on the corner of Market and Randolph Streets, Chicago, which was the rallying place for all English emigrants who came to Cook County. Mr. Kay bought over one hundred acres of land, on which Captain Johnson had filed a claim and built a very comfortable house, and in this Mr. Kay lived until his death. He died in 1848, and for several years his wife conducted the farm, and then rented it until her son John was old enough to cultivate it. Mr. and Mrs. Kay had the following children: Ann, who married Mr. McClanathan and is now dead; Abel, who died in 1891; Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Burkill, of Jefferson Township), now deceased; Frances, Mrs. McClanathan; Jane, who married Edward Gray, and is deceased; Emma, Mrs. William Myers, who lived on the old homestead, and is now deceased; Marshall, who died at the age of Seventeen; John, the subject of this sketch; and Joseph Archdale, who was born in Jefferson Township, and still lives on part of the old farm. John Kay enjoyed a very limited opportunity for an education. His father and a neighbor built a log schoolhouse, and his father’s house was usually the home of the teacher. When he was sixteen years of age, he began the care of the farm, and he was engaged at this until 1869, when it was divided. Mrs. Kay died in December, 1889, aged eighty-four years, and thus ended the life of one who had been of good influence in the community, and who had lived a long and useful life. She was reared in the Church of England and joined the Congregational Church in later life, and her children were reared in the Baptist faith. John Kay is a member of the Sons of Saint George. In politics he thinks for himself, and does not follow the dictates of any party, but supports the man he regards as most fitted for office. He is a good, reliable citizen and enjoys universal respect. Transcribed by Mike Murphy (Album of Genealogy & Biography, Cook County, IL, Page 628) [Transcribed by Mike Murphy - source #26]


Joseph Archdale Kay was born June 1, 1844, on the old homestead of his parents in Jefferson Township, Cook County, Illinois. He spent his boyhood on the farm of his father, Abel Kay, attending school in the winter, and assisting in the labor of the farm as soon as he was able. In 1859 he drove a milk wagon, and took care of an engine in a grist mill. In September, 1861, he enlisted in the First Missouri Cavalry, Company D, which was consolidated with the Tenth Missouri Cavalry in the winter of 1862. He served three years and one month, and then enlisted in Hancock’s Veteran Corps, in Company K. The first service of his company was in Missouri, against Price, at Pea Ridge, and soon after they were in Arkansas, and then they went down the Mississippi to a point below Vicksburg. In northern Mississippi he saw many skirmishes and battles. From Corinth they made a forced march to Florence, passing through Shiloh. During the war he was home for a few months on furlough. He spent one year in the Veteran Corps, and was discharged April 11, 1866. During the last of Mr. Kay’s service he did provost duty in Washington. After the war Mr. Kay returned to Jefferson and engaged in farming. He remained with his mother two years, and then moved to the place he now occupies, and has since been engaged in gardening. His sons cultivate the farm, which contains eighteen and one-half acres. June 23, 1866, he was married to Maggie, daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth (Best) Primrose, the former a native of Scotland and the latter of England. They died in Jefferson. Mrs. Kay was born in Elgin, and died October 3, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Kay had nine children, namely: Marshall, who lives with his father; Joseph, deceased; Stephen, deceased; Carrie, now Mrs. Lincoln Smith, who resides in Chicago; David, deceased; De Mar, who resides at home; Annie, who lives in Chicago; Bert, deceased; and Maggie, who resides in Chicago with a sister. Mr. Kay was married November 17, 1886 to Mrs. Katie Stull, of Monmouth, Illinois, and they have two children, namely: Jefferson and Edith. Mr. Kay is a member of Providence Lodge, No. 711, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Jefferson Park, having been connected with the order thirty-two years. He is also connected with George H. Thomas Post, No. 5, Grand Army of the Republic. He takes an active interest in politics and is a supporter of the Republican party. He is interested in local affairs, and favors all movements for public improvement. (Album of Genealogy & Biography, Cook County, IL, Page 466) [Transcribed by Mike Murphy - source #26]


Thomas Wheldon was born May 2, 1834, in section 19 of Niles Township, and was a son of James and Sarah (Bins) Wheldon, both natives of England. James Wheldon and his wife emigrated to America in 1832, and settled in Niles Township soon after their arrival, buying a quarter-section of land from the Government when it was put upon the market. At that time the Indians were numerous in this part of the country. He cleared a tract of land for a farm, and built himself a comfortable home, engaging in farming until his death, August 25, 1868. His good wife died January 6, 1862. They had three children, namely: Elizabeth, Sarah and Thomas. Elizabeth became the wife of Joseph Bickerdike, of Jefferson, and is now deceased. Sarah is the widow of John Winter, who died some years ago, and resides in Perry, Iowa. Thomas, the youngest child of his parents, was reared to farm labor, and received only a very limited education, as the schools near the home of his boyhood were few and poor. He inherited the old homestead, and was engaged in its cultivation all his life, being quite successful. He was also proficient as a veterinary surgeon, and had a large practice, treating the horses and cattle of his neighbors. In politics Mr. Wheldon was a Republican, but he refused to accept any public office, though repeatedly urged to do so. He took a great interest in educational matters, and although his own opportunities had been few, he had improved them, and was a competent member of the school board. He also took an active part in church work, adhering to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and being quite liberal in its support. April 29, 1863, Mr. Wheldon married Miss Mary Ann Kay, daughter of Abel and Elizabeth (Paylor) Kay, natives of Yorkshire, England, and early settlers in Cook County. Mr. And Mrs. Wheldon had five sons, but the eldest, James A., died when three years old. Those living are: Charles A., who is in the employ of Siegel, Cooper & Company, Chicago; Thomas J., a machinist, and a resident of Edison Park; George W. and Joseph Abel, who reside with their mother. Mr. Wheldon died April 17, 1896, and his widow still occupies the old homestead in Niles. (Album of Genealogy & Biography, Cook County, IL, Page 478) [Transcribed by Mike Murphy - source #26]


Capt. Christopher Johnson, one of the old landmarks of Chicago, who arrived in this city as long ago as 1838, was a native of the little kingdom of Denmark, and was born near Copenhagen, October 3, 1819, his parents being natives of the same locality. His father was killed by an accident before Christopher was a year old, and the latter was bound out to a farmer on the island of Als. Imbued with the strong love of the sea which has filled so many of his countrymen and made them famous as sailors the world over, at the early age of fourteen years he shipped at Sonderburg, Denmark, on board an ocean vessel, and within the next two or three years had sailed around the globe. In the winter of 1837 he found himself in the city of New Orleans, and, having long desired to verify the statements he had heard of the advantages America offered to industrious, enterprising youth of all nations, he left his ship, and started for the heart of the country. After reaching St. Louis, he went to Peoria, in this State, whence, by means of a hired team, he reached this city. Mr. Johnson’s employment after reaching what was then the muddy little village at the mouth of the Chicago River was as a member of a surveying party; but he served thus only a short time, and soon after sought the more familiar and congenial life of a sailor on the Great Lakes. On one occasion, while on a trip on one of the Lower Lakes, on a vessel called the “Maria Hilliard,” he was shipwrecked and met with other mishaps. But on the whole fortune favored him; and after a few years’ service as a common sailor, he was able to buy a small schooner, the “Helena,” and took charge of her as captain. In 1849, while coming with a cargo of bricks from Little Fort, near Kenosha, the “Helena” was sunk near the Rush Street Bridge. On her voyage to Chicago, she had sprung a leak, but by the efforts of the captain and crew, she had been kept afloat until the city was reached. After raising his vessel, Captain Johnson sailed her for some time longer, but in 1853 concluded to give up sailing for good. His life on the lakes had given him a pretty fair insight into the lumber business, and in this he embarked, remaining thus engaged until the Great Fire, when, in common with innumerable others, he lost almost his entire savings. Fortunately, however, he did not lose his residence, which was then on the West Side. He was the owner of a farm at Lemont, and he moved his family there for a time. His handsome new farmhouse was destroyed by fire two years later, and he built another. Captain Johnson had married in 1849, and for the next twelve years he reared his children on the farm. He retained real estate he had owned in Chicago previous to the fire, and had added to it, and at the end of the twelve years he removed his wife and family to the city, finding here greater scope for himself and promise of future occupation for his sons. His property interests increased to such an extent that his time was fully taken up in managing his private affairs, and he never entered any other business. During all his life in Chicago he lived on the North Side, where he was universally known and popular with all. He built his first home on the corner of Ohio and Market Streets, a spot which he then considered the most prepossessing in the city. His objection to the South Side was due to its mud, that portion of the city being almost impassable in the early days on account of its level. At one time he intended to buy the land on which Briggs House now stands, but after considerable deliberation concluded the site was too muddy, a succession of mud holes having to be crossed to reach it.

Captain Johnson’s widow, who yet survives, was previous to her marriage Miss Emily Raymond, a daughter of John and Louise Raymond. She is a native of Copenhagen, and was born September 1, 1833. At the age of ten years she came to America with her father, who was a ship-carpenter. He followed the lakes until his death, which resulted from an accident he met with while in the pursuit of his calling, being caught and crushed between two ships. His death occurred some months later, at the age of forty-five years, August 11, 1853 Mrs. Johnson’s marriage occurred in Du Page County, this State, near Naperville, December 9, 1849, and resulted in the birth of thirteen children, of whom the following are living: Maria Louise, Mrs. A. Nelson, of Chicago; Lena Amelia, Mrs. John S. Lee, of Lemont; Evelyn, Mrs. D. T. Elston, of Chicago; Henry W., living in Socorro, New Mexico; Benjamin Franklin, of Pomeroy, Washington; Charles Christopher and George W. Johnson, of this city. In politics Captain Johnson was an ardent support of the Republican party, and his party’s candidates were never defeated by his failure to do his duty at the polls. During the early years of the Civil War he served as Collector of the North Town, but a naturally retiring and modest disposition kept him from ever being conspicuous in politics. In religious faith he accorded with the Lutheran Church. The respect in which he was held was shown at the time of his death, which occurred September 28, 1895, within a week of his seventy-sixth birthday anniversary. He had been an enthusiastic member of the Cleveland Lode of the Chicago Freemasons, in which he was initiated in June 11, passed July 7, and raised October 13, 1859, and his fellow Masons attended his funeral in a body. His early life had been full of incident and adventure, but his later years found him quietly fulfilling the duties of a self-respecting, honorable life. (Album of Genealogy & Biography, Cook County, IL, Page 93) [Transcribed by Mike Murphy -
source #26]



STAGER, Anson, soldier and Telegraph Superintendent, was born in Ontario County, N. Y., April 20, 1825; at 16 years of age entered the service of Henry O'Reilly, a printer who afterwards became a pioneer in building telegraph lines, and. with whom he became associated in various enterprises of this character. Having introduced. several improvements in the construction of batteries and the arrangement of wires, he was, in 1852, made General Superintendent of the principal lines in the West, and, on the organization of the Western Union Company, was retained in this position. Early in the Civil War he was entrusted with the management of telegraph lines in Southern Ohio and along the Virginia border, and, in October following, was appointed General Superintendent of Government telegraphs, remaining in this position until September, 1868, his services being recognized in his promotion to a brevet Brigadier-Generalship of Volunteers. In 1869 General Stager returned to Chicago and, in addition to his duties as General Superintendent, engaged in the promotion of a number of enterprises connected with the manufacture of electrical appliances and other branches of the business. One of these was the consolidation of the telephone companies, of which he became President, as also of the Western Edison Electric Light Company, besides being a Director in several other corporations. Died, in Chicago, March 26, 1885. ["Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois" Transcribed by Kim Torp]


COOKE, Edward Dean, lawyer and Congressman, born in Dubuque County, Iowa, Oct. 17, 1849; was educated in the common schools and the high school of Dubuque; studied law in that city and at Columbian University, Washington, D.C., graduating from that institution with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, and was admitted to the bar in Washington in 1873. Coming to Chicago the same year, he entered upon the practice of his profession, which he pursued for the remainder of his life. In 1882 he was elected a Representative in the State Legislature from Cook County, serving one term; was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-fourth Congress for the Sixth District (Chicago), in 1894, and re-elected in 1896. His death occurred suddenly while in attendance on the extra session of Congress in Washington, June 24, 1897. ["Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois" Transcribed by Kim Torp]


COOLBAUGH William Findlay, financier, was born in Pike County, Pa., July 1, 1821; at the age of 15 became clerk in a dry-goods store in Philadelphia, but, in 1842, opened a branch establishment of a New York firm at Burlington, Iowa, where he afterwards engaged in the banking business, also serving in the Iowa State Constitutional Convention, and, as the candidate of his party for United States Senator, being defeated by Hon. James Harlan by one vote. In 1862 he came to Chicago and opened the banking house of W. F. Coolbaugh & Co., which, in 1865, became the Union National Bank of Chicago. Later he became the first President of the Chicago Clearing House, as also of the Bankers' Association of the West and South, a Director of the Board of Trade, and an original incorporator of the Chamber of Commerce, besides being a member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1869-70. His death by suicide, at the foot of Douglas Monument, Nov. 14, 1877, was a shock to the whole city of Chicago. ["Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois" Transcribed by Kim Torp]


CLIFF, JAS. - farmer, Sec. 20; P.O. Racine; born in Preston, England, in 1812; came to this country in 1831; went to Cook Co., Ill., in 1837; was there till 1840; lived in Chicago in summer of 1837, on Kinzie Street, and used to pasture his cows where now are the arteries of the great city; deer and wolves were numerous, and snakes troublesome at that time. Married Frances MARSH, Aug. 3, 1833; have had four children - Three girls and one boy; came to Racine in 1851, and located at what is now Racine Junction; owns twenty-nine acres of land. Was in the Quartermaster's Department, under Gen. Sterling PRICE, at the time of the Mexican war; his son William was in the 2d Wisconsin Regiment; was wounded at the battle of Gettsyburg; is now in business in Philadelphia. [The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wisconsin, Publ. 1879 by Western Historical Company, Chicago - Page 619]


Colonel James A. SEXTON
The New Commander

The new department commander, Colonel James A. SEXTON, was born in Chicago on the 5th of January, 1844, and is, therefore, forty-four years of age. At the first call for three months' volunteers he enlisted as a private soldier, and at the expiration of his term of service re-enlisted for three years and was promoted to a lieutenantcy. At the call for 800,000 men in 1862 he was tendered and accepted the captaincy of a company recruited under the auspices of the Young Men's Christian Association, and assigned to the Seventy-second Illinois Infantry Volunteers. He served with this regiment, participating in every battle in which it was engaged, and during the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville led the same as Captain commanding the regiment, receiving slight wounds at both the last named battles, and also at Spanish Fort in April, 1865. After the closing of the Nashville campaign, he was attached to the staff of Major General A. J. SMITH, Sixteenth Army Corps, as acting assistant provost marshall, and when the war was over received the brevet of Lieutenant-Colonel of United States volunteers. While in the service he had purchased a plantation in Lowndes County, Ala., and lived on it for two years after the war. Upon his return to Chicago, in 1867, he established the firm now known as CRIBBEN, SEXTON & Co., at the same time carrying on his plantation in Alabama until 1869. At the last presidential election he was an elector on the Republican ticket. He has been appointed a member of the board of Lincoln Park commissioners and holds the rank in the Illinois militia of Colonel and aide de camp on Governor Oglesby's staff. He is a member of the following soldier societies: Grand Army of the Republic, Military Order of the Loyal Legion, Chicago Union Veteran Club, Veteran Union League, Army of the Tennessee and all the Masonic bodies.
[22 Feb. 1888, The Newton Press, Jasper County, IL - transcribed by K. Torp]



David JOHNSON
David JOHNSON was born in Scotland in 1808, son of David and Susan Johnson. He came to America in 1851, and after a residence of one year in New Jersey came to Chicago, where he remained one year. In 1853, he located in Arlington Heights, and in company with David Peter built an elevator and engaged in the grain and lumber business they followed from 1861 to 1871, when they sold to C. Geils, and from that time he has been employed by Mr. Geils as foreman in the same business. His wife died in 1866. He was married in 1867 to Mrs. Mary A. Burkitt. Mrs. Mary A. Johnson was born in England in 1818, daughter of Granado and Sarah PIGOTT. She was married in 1840 to Richard BURKITT. They came to America in 1845, and after a residence of one year in Ohio located, in 1846, on a farm adjoining the present village of Arlington Heights, where they resided until the death of Mr. Burkitt, which occurred in 1864. They had seven children, four now living - Sarah, William, John and Lorenzo. [Source: History of Cook County, Illinois : from the earliest period to the present time - transcribed by Jerry Zimmerman - src #75]


John W. BURKITT
John W. Burkitt, jeweler, fruit-grower and gardner, Arlington Heights, Illinois, was born at Arlington Heights, August 8, 1854, the son of Richard and Mary A. (Pigott) Burkitt, who were natives of England and settled in Wheeling Township, Cook County, in 1846. The elder Burkitt died in 1864. The son was educated in his native village, and early acquired a fondness for horticulture, in which his father had been interested in England. Of late years, he has proved himself a successful grower of cherries of a superior quality, which are shipped to dealers in distant cities and find a ready sale at high prices. His experiments in this branch of horticulture have been watched with deep interest, and have already won him the title of the "Cherry King of Illinois." On January 7, 1882, Mr. Burkitt was married to Lydia Alma Pratt, of Palatine, Illinois, who died March 1, 1898, at the age of thirty-four years. He has four children living: Ralph Edward, Granado Ross, Hazel Alma and John W., Jr. The son, Granado, within the last year, has taken charge of the fruit-garden part of his father's business. In addition to his other branches of business, Mr. Burkitt is a Director of the local bank at Arlington Heights, Illinois, and also a stockholder, Director and Vice-President of the Sierra Gold Mining Company of Tuolumne County, California.
[Source: Historical encyclopedia of Illinois, Cook County Edition - transcribed by Jerry Zimmerman - src #75]


FRANCIS MORTIMER JOHNSON, who was born on Sunday, May 8, 1842, in Hickory Lane, Niles, Michigan, is one of the most valued and highly respected employees of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Company, having been in the employ of that company since 1865. His parents were Alfred Wells and Dezire (Howe) Johnson, and both came from very old families. The paternal grandfather was John Johnson, and the maternal grandfather of F. M. Johnson was Frederick Howe. Mr. Howe was a tiller of the soil and he was born in Vermont. He settled in Syracuse, New York, subsequently, and later removed to Michigan, being one of the first settlers in Berrien County. Mr. Howe traveled through the country with horse teams, there being no steam railway at that time. His children were named as follows: Alonzo, Dezire, Lucinda, Francis, Hezekiah, Adeline, Mary, Nancy, Charlotta, Charles and George. His wife's name was Polly Bliss before her marriage to Mr. Howe. Alfred W. Johnson was born June 26, 1810, in Burlington, Vermont. He came to Michigan in 1831. He had learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner, and erected a residence in Niles, Michigan, in Hickory Lane. All his children were born in this house. Mr. Johnson did a great deal of contracting in the vicinity of Niles, for building of residences and other erections. He was a Democrat as to political views and served in the legislature two years, about 1847-1849. He died June 9, 1889. His wife was born at Truxton, New York, Friday, May 5, 1815, and died October 18, 1896. Her children were nine in number: John Frederick was born Monday, December 17, 1838, and resides at No. 5140 Wabash Avenue; Richard Marian was born Wednesday, May 13, 1840, married Hattie L. Barker, at Chillicothe, Missouri, and now resides at No. 5140 Wabash Avenue, Chicago; Francis M. is the next in order of birth; Julia Estelle, born Saturday, March 9, 1844, married Henry T.Kimmell December 14, 1865. Her children are: George Alfred, born February 1, 1867, and Edna Estelle, born December 3, 1869; George Franklin, born Thursday, March 5, 1846, died August 5, 1893. He married Annie C. Cook, at Tiskilwa, Illinois, December 22, 1885; Oliver Howell, born February 12, 1848, died March 24, 1848; Helen Isabella, born Saturday, August ?, 1849, married John A. Montague October 6, 1873, and has one child, Charles M., born March 23, 1876. Her home is in Niles, Michigan, where her husband is a hardware dealer; Mary Frances, born Friday, November 3, 1853, married Orson McKay October 2, 1883.
Mr. McKay is an employee of the Santa Fe Railroad Company and they reside at No. 4735 Evans Avenue; Charles Alfred, born Friday, February 8, 1856, was married at Marshall, Michigan, August 20, 1883, to Bertha Hopkins Perritt. He is the father of one child, Alfred Hopkins, born September 6, 1892. The family resides at Niles, Michigan, where C. A. Johnson is cashier at the First National Bank.

Francis Mortimer Johnson occupied himself at the same trade as his father until sixteen years of age. He enlisted in the army October 17, 1862, in Company E, Twelfth Michigan Regiment. He was sick a large part of the time and served in the reserve corps at Columbus, Ohio, for eighteen months. He was in the battle of Shiloh and his regiment was the first one fired upon. He was also in battles along the Chickahominy River.
November 3, 1865, he was mustered out of service. Mr. Johnson was taken prisoner a Bolivar, Tennessee, but was paroled. After the close of the Civil War Mr. Johnson located in Chicago and entered the employ of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway Company and has since been occupied in the interest of that concern. He entered as clerk in the freight office and remained in that capacity eighteen years. He then took charge of the out freight house at Polk Street and Pacific Avenue and after eight years was transferred to the Englewood east bound freight, but at the end of four years this house was discontinued and he was returned to the Polk Street house, where he is at the present writing. Mr. Johnson was married February 15, 1862, to Miss Marilla Alwilda Chipman, daughter of Holton and Lucy (Hopkins) Chipman. Mrs. Johnson's great-grandfather was born in England, and emigrating to America in 1840, located in Eugene, Indiana, later removing to Bristol, of that state, where he died in 1847, at the age of forty-nine years. Holton Chipman was born in Vermont, as was also his wife. She was married in Ohio and died January 24, 1893. She was born April 24, 1809. Her children were nine in number. Lucy Hopkins married Caleb Nash, of South Bend, Indiana, and their children are: Alice, Helen, Delia and Adell; Philenia Rosalie married Dr. J. M. Roe, of South Bend, and their children are: Lelia, Alison Crestus and Lennie; Rachel Parthenia married John Brown, of Valparaiso, Indiana, and their children are: Blanch, William and Agnes; Cynthia Florilla married C. S. Payne, of Goshen, Indiana, and their children are: Lola, Hiram, Chauncey, Emma and Maggie; Austia Ian the married Joseph F.Thomas, of Edwardsburg, Indiana, and their only child is Ella; Delia Alice married John Hudson, of Sacramento, California, and is now deceased; Cassius Holton married Wealthy Rouse, at Kendallville, Indiana, and their only child is Millie; Marilla Alwilda is the wife of the man whose name heads this article, and was born November 17, 1843, at Eugene, Indiana; Milton Delmer resides at Rensselaer, Indiana.

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are the parents of two children, who have done credit to the rearing they received and to the family name, which has never known a tarnish. Frank Rollo was born December 2, 1862, in Harris Township, Elkhart County, Indiana. More extended notice of him appears elsewhere in this volume.
Ernest Mortimer was born March 23, 1866, and has also space on another page of this volume. Though never an office seeker, Mr. Johnson is interested very deeply in the welfare of the Democratic party, in whose interest he casts a vote at all favorable opportunities. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum.

Mr. Johnson erected a residence at No. 5817 Wabash Avenue in the spring of 1882. This was the first house in the locality, and the nearest house to it at that time was on State Street. The family is one of the well-known and honored ones of the community, and each member is a credit to the neighborhood in which they reside.
[Album of Genealogy and Biography, published 1899, Transcribed by Charlotte Stevens Schneider]

DR. WILLIAM H. STENNETT.
Dr. William H. Stennett, auditor of expenditures of the Chicago and Northwestern, and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha railroads, died at his residence in Oak Park on Thursday, July 22, 1915. Dr. Stennett's connection with the Northwestern dates back to 1873 and covers a period of over forty-two years' consecutive service as general passenger agent, assistant to the general manager and auditor of expenditure respectively. Dr. Stennett was for many years a resident of Bloomington. His death followed a long illness and came peacefully.
Dr. Stennett was a man of unusual mental attainments. He was a student, a book lover, a writer of good prose, a critic of bad work. He lived in Bioomington fifty years ago and his contemporaries were Franklin Price, David Davis, Judge Lawrence Weldon and the men who lived there then. Dr. Stennett engaged in the practice of medicine during his residence in Bloomington.

Forty-three years ago he was given a position as freight agent of the Illinois Central at St Louis and from there he was promoted to better positions with the Chicago and Northwestern in Chicago. His brother-in-law, Marvin Hughitt, was the president of that road. One of the works in connection with his railroad employment which will remain as a monument to him was a book which he published on the request of the company officials, giving the history of the origin of every name of a station along the lines.

Many of these names were of Indian origin, and in the volume there is quite a remarkable collection of Indian lore of the northwest. The book could not have been written except by a man of industry and literary ability. For the intervening years until the present time Dr. Stennett remained in the executive offices of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, bnt was retired from active service some years ago. During his life in Chicago he never lost interest in his old home at Bloomington. He visited it at intervals. He read the Pantagraph all these years, and was authority on points of local history that escape the knowledge of the younger generation. He was loyal always to his old friends and never lost his interest in them. Since the death of his wife Dr. Stennett has made his home with his only child, Mrs. George W. Davidson, at Oak Park.


DR. WILLIAM H. STENNETT.
By Merton J. Clay.

The subject of this sketch was born in the Province of Ontario, Canada, in the year 1832. He came to the United States when 17 years of age and secured employment in a large drug store at Rock Island, Illinois, and later became connected with a large chemical manufacturing house, having charge of certain of their products. About this time he determined to become a physician and after a course of reading and studying with that end in view, attended the Medical University of St. Louis, from which he graduated in 1859.
He then took up the practice of medicine at Bloomington, Illinois, in partnership with Dr. McCann Dunn. At Bloomington he met and married Miss Clara Hughitt. Two children were born of this union: a son, Amos H., who died in infancy, and a daughter, Grace H., now Mrs. George M. Davidson of Oak Park, Illinois.
While residing in Bloomington during the stirring times preceding the Civil War, he was associated with many of the leading men of the State and Nation, among whom were Abraham Lincoln, Stephen A. Douglas, Hon. David Davis, Richard Yates and Richard J. Oglesby, and his reminiscences of the martyred president and others whom he had known were extremely interesting.
Dr. Stennett gave up the practice of medicine in 1867, accepting a position as general agent with the Illinois Central Railroad Company at St. Louis, continuing in the service of that company until 1873, when he became connected with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway Company, serving in the capacity of general passenger agent. This position he held until 1884, in which year he was appointed assistant to the general manager, which office he held until 1887, when he was appointed auditor of expenditures, in which he remained until his death.
In 1896 he was appointed auditor of expenditures of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway Company, which appointment he also held until his death. Dr. Stennett's greatest service to the great northwest will be found in his historical publications, one of which under the title, "Yesterday and Today," is a history of the origin and development of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, of which there are three editions: the first, appearing March 31,1905, was soon exhausted and was followed on April 25,1905, by the second edition. These two editions are 8vo size, containing 120 odd pages and a map of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. The larger and later edition of 1910 contains 200 pages, including nine pages of illustrations and four pages of maps, which graphically portray the growth of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway.
This book contains a mass of interesting and exact information, and in future will be considered a source book for historical writers. It has always been regretted by the Doctor's friends that he did not acknowledge the authorship instead of merely signing the introduction as "The Compiler." In 1908 he published "A History of the Origin of the Place Names connected with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway, and the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway," and in the same modest way the introduction was signed "The Compiler."
The amount of labor necessary to produce this book can only be appreciated when the volume is examined, and its value as a reference book will increase as time passes. Dr. Stennett was a many-sided man and was unusually well informed on many subjects, particularly along the lines of horticultural, medical and historical research. He was a tireless reader and his evenings were usually spent among his books, of which he had a large collection. His memory for details regarding the various subjects in which he was interested was often remarked upon by those who had the privilege of a personal acquaintance with him. He was also a great lover of flowers and grew almost every variety which could be grown in the vicinity of his home, and during the growing season spent most of his leisure hours in his garden.
Dr. Stennett was a member of the Illinois, Wisconsin and Mississippi Valley Historical Societies, and the National Geographic Society. He had many close personal friends and a large acquaintance among men of affairs throughout the country.
His strong will and determination did not allow him to remain in bed during his last illness, which kept him from his office only ten days. His death came suddenly at his home in Oak Park, Illinois, on the afternoon of July 22, 1915, while in his library among the books he loved. Interment was at Rose Hill Cemetery, Chicago, July 25, 1915.
"Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society"
By Illinois State Historical Society
Published by Illinois State Historical Society., 1916
[Transcribed by K. Torp]




William Ohlendorf has been a resident of Chicago since 1849. He was born January 10, 1825, in Wulfelade, Hanover, Germany, and is a son of Henry and Sophia Ohlendorf, both natives of Hanover and members of old and highly respected families. Henry Ohlendorf was a tiller of the soil by occupation, owning as well as operating his farm, and became possessed of considerable means. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ohlendorf were the parents of five sons and one daughter, and all became residents of the United States. Henry, the first-born, was a soldier in the German army and married in that country. He arrived in Chicago in 1849 and subsequently located at Freeport, Illinois, where he died about 1891, leaving a widow and a family. Frederick came to the United States in 1846, being the first of his father's family to emigrate; he settled in Missouri and still resides there. William is next in order of birth. Louis is deceased; and Charles is living retired in Matteson, Cook County. Sophie became the wife of Charles Duensing, who resides at River Forest, with an office at the corner of Noble Street and Chicago Avenue. Frederick came to this country in 1845, and in 1848 returned to Germany and brought the remaining members of the family with him to Cook County. The mother died in Addison Township less than a year after their arrival, and the father died some ten years later in Matteson, Cook County. William Ohlendorf was fairly well educated in the parish schools of his native place, and reared on his father's farm. In the fall of 1846 he sailed from Hamburg on the "Marie Francisco," and, after a seven weeks' voyage, landed in New York City. He remained there until the spring of 1849, when he learned that his parents were in Cook County, and decided to come West. He came by river to Albany and by canal to Buffalo, thence by lakes on the steamer "Keystone State," landing here in May, 1849. He had been a waiter in New York, and after coming to Chicago obtained a position in the old City Hotel, on Lake Street. He was soon promoted to head waiter, and was with Brown & Tuttle when they went into the Sherman House as proprietors. At that time John R. Walsh, now a wealthy banker in Chicago, was bell boy under Mr. Ohlendorf. In the fall of 1851 he went to New Orleans and worked in a large hotel during the winter, and from there started to Mexico with General Urajo, but owing to the breaking out of the Revolution did not reach his destination. At the close of that strife General Urajo was appointed by Santa Anna, of Mexico, as Minister Plenipotentiary to Prussia, and Mr. Ohlendorf accompanied him as interpreter. He was with him one year in Mexico and one year in Prussia. April 2, 1854, he was married in his native village to Miss Sophia Ohlendorf, and on the 1st of May started for Chicago with his bride. He arrived in that city duly, and began keeping a grocery at the corner of what is now Fifth Avenue and Polk Street, and continued in business at that location nine years. In 1862 he settled on a farm in Lake County, and for a period of six years tilled this portion of land. He then sold his property and returned to Chicago, entering into partnership with his brother Louis, and started a lumber business under the firm name of Ohlendorf Brothers. In 1871 ill health caused him to sell his interest to his brother. When he returned from the farm he settled on West Huron Street, corner of Armour Street, where he has since resided. In the fire of 1871 he lost three houses on Fifth Avenue. Having invested in considerable property he has done some real estate business since retiring from the lumber trade, as above mentioned, but has lived rather a quiet life. He has always voted independently in political affairs, endeavoring to always support the best man for public position, and has never had any political aspirations. To Mr. and Mrs. Ohlendorf has been born a family consisting of six children, two of whom are deceased. Those living are: William C., a physician and druggist, at No. 647 Blue Island Avenue; Henry L., a pharmacist, at the corner of Evanston Avenue and Irving Park Boulevard; Alfred C., a traveling salesman; and Carrie, wife of W. Maack, of Chicago. The members of the family are connected with St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, with which Mr. Ohlendorf has been prominently identified for years. He has always evinced an interest in matters arranged for the good of the public, and enjoys the respect of a large circle of friends. He has witnessed the marvelous growth of the city from a population of about ten thousand to its present importance as the metropolis of the West.
(source: "Album of Genealogy and Biography, Cook County, Illinois: with portraits": Chicago, Illinois: LaSalle Book Co., 1899) (submitted by src #96)


Charles Henry Duensing
The elements essential to make men of mark in the world are as varied as the individuals who make up the sum total of humanity. An immortal poet has said, "Some men are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." It is most men of the second class, as spoken by the most renowned of bards, who fill the greatest needs in the affairs of life.
Charles H. Duensing, with whom this sketch has to do, was of humble birth, and of poor but respectable parentage. His birth occurred in the village of Marienese, province of Hanover, Germany, September 5, 1829. His parents were Henry and Caroline Duensing, both of whom died in Germany. Of their five children who grew to maturity, three became residents of the United States, namely: Charles H., Henry and Henrietta.
The boyhood of Charles H. Duensing was passed in his native land, the common schools affording him the means whereby to obtain a practical elementary education. As a boy he was sturdy, practical and resolute, possessing many of those dominant characteristics of the German race which have won success wherever the forces of German mind and heart have, with fixedness of purpose, taken hold of the affairs of life.
He learned the trade of wood turner with his father and at the age of twenty years developed into man's estate. Realizing the narrowness of opportunities surrounding him in his native land, and longing for a field of wider environment, too passage in a sailing vessel at Bremen Harbor, and after a long and uneventful voyage of forty-five days landed in New York,
He came directly to Chicago, by way of the Hudson River and Erie Canal to Buffalo, and the steamer "Empire" up the lakes, arriving in June. For two years after his arrival in Cook County he worked on a farm in Barrington Township for Philip N. Gould. He then became clerk in the hardware store of Thomas George, remaining one year, after which he worked a year in a mill in Kane County. Ambitious to succeed and desirous of improving his financial condition, he went to Will County and engaged in retailing merchandise. He also kept a hotel on Milwaukee Avenue, near Carpenter Street, and after two years he engaged in the commission business for a few years.
In 1868 he began doing an insurance business, to which he has given his attention, practically, for the past thirty years, combining with it real estate and loans. Previous to the last mentioned date he invested a part of his savings in real estate, in the corner of West Chicago Avenue and Noble Street, where he built and made his home until 1892, when he removed to River Forest.
Mr. Duensing has won success in his long and varied career, and accumulated a valuable property. He has ever been mindful of his duties as a citizen, and has found time to aid in promoting the best interests of his home city and his adopted country. Since casting his vote for John C. Fremont, in 1856, he has supported the men and measures of the Republican party. In 1865 he was elected supervisor of his ward and filled the office creditability one term, but has never sought nor cared for political honors.
January 13, 1853, Mr. Duensing was united in marriage to Miss Sophia Ohlendorf, whose family history will be found in the article on the life of William Ohlendorf, on another page of this work. To this worthy couple have been born ten children, namely: Mary, wife of Henry Linnemeyer, of Chicago; Edwin H., who is with Mandel Brothers; Malinda, deceased; Elmer C., who is interested with his father; Lorina, now Mrs. Hugo Meyers, of Chicago; Alwina; Henrietta, wife of Wiliam C. Nelson; Anna, wife of William C. Noland; Ottilie, Mrs. George H. Puchner, of Oak Park; and Elsa. Mr. Duensing and family belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Church and enjoy the confidence and esteem of a large circle of friends.
(source: Album of Genealogy and Biography, Cook County, Illinois: with portraits: Chicago, Illinois: La Salle Book Co., 1899. submitted by Source #96)

George Runge
George Runge is the son of August and the grandson of Henry Runge, one of the pioneers of Leyden township, who bought farm as school land. Henry was a native of Lansberger, Hanover, Germany, was a teamster, and married there Dorothea Bonholtz; they came to America about 1840 in a sailing vessel and were six weeks in making the passage. On the way the food gave out and the passengers were short on rations. They came direct to Leyden township, where Henry's brother-in-law, Franzen, known as the "cap-maker," had settled a short distance west of George's present place. Henry bought 160 acres of school land where George now lives, much of which was then under water, but now is the best farm land in the township. His first cabin was of logs and contained but one room. Henry was one of the founders of the first Evangelical church in this section. He was one of the first "Lincoln Republicans," and lived to the great age of 95 years. His son, August, was born on this farm and was here reared and educated in the early schools. He married Amelia Volberding, daughter of Fred, a pioneer of DuPage county. August, brother of George, received eighty acres from his father and also bought out the other heirs and thus became the owner of the old homestead. August and wife were members of the St. John Evangelical Lutheran church. He was a stanch Republican and is now retired from business.
George, his son, was born on the old home farm November 21, 1871, and was reared as a farmer. He attended the public schools and finished at Bryant & Stratton's Business college. In 1893 he married Clara, daughter of Barney and Mary (Schoppe) Landmeier. He is one of the prominent and substantial citizens of the county. He has greatly improved the old home farm and has drained it with five car loads of tile, making it one of the best in the vicinity. He now owns about 156 acres. He is the father of the following children: Harry and Laura. The family are members of the St. John Lutheran Evangelical church, of which Mr. Runge has been deacon.
[source: "History of Cook County, Illinois: being a general survey of Cook County history including a condensed history of Chicago and special account of districts outside the city limits, from the earliest settlement to the present time." Chicago: The Goodspeed Historical Association, 1909. - submitted by Source #96]


WILLIAM BUSSE
William Busse is the first native son of Cook county to be elected president of its board of commissioners, having for the six years preceding his assumption of its important duties been one of the most practical and useful members of that body. As a commissioner he has always manifested great interest in the welfare of the insane, the sick and the worthy poor, and the fact that the conditions surrounding these unfortunate wards of the county has greatly improved within the past seven years is largely attributable to his wise and ceaseless labors in their behalf. As the successor in the presidency of the board of E. J. Brundage, in addition to his other responsibilities, he is charged with the great work involved in superintending the construction of the new county building, which is one of the imposing and beautiful architectural monuments of Chicago. It is a strong man who assumes such burdens, and one element of his strength which has not been mentioned comes from his experience as a representative of the board from an outlying district of the city, this circumstance having enabled him to have an especially comprehensive appreciation of the needs of the county; he thoroughly understands the requirements of both municipality and the so-called country lying within the limits of Cook county. A man who had spent all of his life in Chicago, or the larger cities, would fail to possess this element of strength in the makeup of a president of the board.
Mr. Busse was born in Elk Grove, Cook county, Illinois on the 27th of January, 1864, the son of Louis and Christine (Kirchhoff) Busse, both natives of Hanover, Germany. His father, whose birth occurred November 4, 1837, came to the United States in 1848 and settled at Elk Grove, where he was first engaged in farming and later in general merchandising. He died December 19, 1903. The mother was born February 25, 1847, and emigrated to Illinois from Germany in 1853, her marriage to Louis Busse occurring April 16, 1863. The mother still resides in Elk Grove, and the nine children born to her all are living, William Busse being the eldest.
Mr. Busse was educated in the public and German parochial schools of his native locality, and until he was twenty-one years of age assisted his father in the conduct of his agricultural and mercantile interests. Then for four years he was an independent and successful farmer himself. But as an ardent Republican he early became interested in public and political affairs, and his earnestness of purpose, sympathy with the unfortunate, straightforward and moral character, practical common sense and ability, earned him the respect and friendship of all classes and marked him for preferment from the outset.
In 1890 Mr. Busse was appointed deputy sheriff, under James H. Gilbert, holding this position both under him and Sheriffs Pease and Magerstadt, and serving ten years. In this capacity his service was so noticeable for its impartial fearlessness and yet courteous and open bearing that both his popularity and reputation for reliability and ability was greatly broadened. In 1900 he was elected to the board of Cook county commissioners from the country districts, re-elected in 1902, 1904 and 1906, being chosen president of that body April 15, 1907. During all this period he has been a member of the building committee. He was also chairman of the special committee which had charge of the rewriting of the abstract books of the recorder's office--one of the most extensive and important undertakings ever accomplished by county legislation. For four years he was a member of the finance committee, and its chairman from December 1, 1906, until April 15, 1907, and now by virtue of his position as president of the board he is chairman of the special committee in charge of the building of the court house. In June 1907, Mr. Busse was appointed by Governor Deneen a delegate to the National Conference of Charities and Corrections at Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Mr. Busse's practical ambition and great capacity for accomplishment are shown by his varied interests outside his official responsibilities, Since 1897 he has been engaged in general merchandising at Mount Prospect, his residence, the business now being conducted under the firm name of William Busse and Son. He is also engaged with two of his brothers in the real estate business at that place, and is individually a director of the Arlington Heights State Bank. In his home locality he has always been a leader in educational work, especially in its connection with the public school system, and for twelve consecutive years has served as secretary of the Mount Prospect board of school trustees.
Married June 11, 1885, to Miss Sophia Bartels, Mr. Busse's first wife (born in Schaumburg, Cook county, March 28, 1866) died on the 20th of February, 1894, leaving five children. Later he was united to Miss Dina Busse, and to this marriage one child is living. The family are all faithful and earnest members of the Lutheran church. Personally, Mr. Busse is a member of that well known Republican organization, the Hamilton Club, and is now acknowledged to be one of the strongest representatives of the party in this section of the state. (source: Waterman, Arba Nelson; Historical review of Chicago and Cook county and selected biography. Chicago, Illinois: The Lewis Pub. Co., 1908)

William Busse, president of the Board of Cook County commissioners, was born in Elk Grove township, Cook county, Ill., on January 27, 1864. His parents, Louis and Christina (Kirschoff) Busse, and his grandparents, Frederick and Fredericka Busse, were natives of Hanover, Germany.
The family came to America about the middle of the last century and were among the early pioneer farmers of Elk Grove township, in this county. William Busse passed his early years on the home place, assisting his father in caring for the farm, manufacturing butter and cheese, merchandising, and attending the district schools. Upon attaining his majority he began farming for himself, but in 1890, by appointment of Sheriff Gilbert, became a deputy county sheriff, serving as such ten years. The capable and conscientious fulfillment of the duties to which he was assigned attracted the attention of the political leaders and the public and in 1900 he was nominated and elected a member of the Board of County Commissioners. The same painstaking care attended his efforts as a member of the Legislative body of Cook county and he has ever since been retained in this office by re-election.
So efficient had been his services that he was elected president of the Board to succeed Edward J. Brundage, and in 1908 he was re-elected to this position by one of the greatest majorities ever given a candidate for this office. In the years to come the administration of President Busse will be recognized as one of the best ever given to Cook County. He is a Republican of the stalwart kind and one who has the entire confidence of the public. He has been twice married, and has seven children now living, William, Martha (Now Mrs. Albert Froemling), Mathilde, Albert, and Sophia by Sophia (Bartels) Busse and Helen and Frederick by Dinah Busse. Mr. Busse has become identified with a number of private and semi-private institutions all of which have been benefited by his keen discernment and practical business ability.
(source: Goodspeed, Weston Arthur. History of Cook County, Illinois: being a general survey of Cook County history, including a condensed history of Chicago and special account of districts outside the city limits: from the earliest settlement to the present time. Published Chicago, Goodspeed Historical Association, c1903 - Submitted by Source #96)

Busse Woods
Back in 1925, Commissioner William Busse had elk brought in by train from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Nowadays, you can see descendants of that herd in the NW corner of Higgins & Arlington Heights. Their pasture is fenced in along the bike/walking trail and is a popular spot for families and people walking their dogs. Most of the time it's easy to catch a glimpse of the elk when driving by. However, their pasture is about 15 acres, and sometimes they draw back into the trees.

William Busse
Last rites for William Busse, 91, of 100 S. Emerson st., Mount Prospect, former Cook county commissioner and veteran Republican leader, will be held at 2 p.m. today in St. Paul's Lutheran church, Mount Prospect, which he helped found 43 years ago. Mr. Busse died Saturday in Sherman hospital, Elgin. He retired from the county board in December after 52 years service. He had entered the hospital June 18 for treatment of a heart condition.
[Chicago Daily News - July 20, 1955 - Submitted by Source #96]

Johann Friedrich Busse
Chicago Daily Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) July 20, 1941
BUSSES FOR 93 YEARS FOLLOW AMERICAN WAY
Elk Grove Family Is an Institution
It was 93 years ago this month that a German farmer with his wife and six children jolted out of Chicago in a covered wagon along the old Indian trail which is now Algonquin road. The way was he was to reach rough and the midsummer sun drew perspiration from his brow, but Friedrich Busse did not care. For after a two day journey the northwest tip of Cook county, where he was to found what might be called the Busse empire.
Today there are more than 1,000 of his descendants in Mount Prospect, Elk Grove, Arlington Heights, and surrounding territory. Many still farm the original lands that have been handed down from father to son. Some are statesmen, some bankers, ministers, florists, merchants, insurance salesmen, real estate agents. But no matter what vocation they have pursued, few of them have strayed far from the frame tavern and the fertile 160 acre tract of prairie land which the first Busse bought on July 5, 1848, for $2,700.
Seven Generations.
The history of Elk Grove township is practically the history of the Busse family. Seven generations of the hardy, industrious stock have played an increasingly large part in the development of the area from a wilderness to a thriving agricultural and industrial center.
It was County Commissioner William Busse, grandson of Friedrich, and his son, William Jr., who pioneered the first bank in the northwest part of the county. Since it was founded 30 years ago this July, the Mount Prospect State bank has been a family institution. Its founders conduct it as chairman of the board and president.
William J. Busse and Albert Froemling, grandson of the commissioner, are assistant cashiers. All nine of the bank's directors are direct descendants of Friedrich or related to the family by marriage.
Born in Original Home
Because of his long period of service in state and county politics, William Busse Sr. is perhaps the most widely known of the clan. He was born in the original homestead in 1864, and lived there until 1891, when he became deputy sheriff of the county, a position he held until 1900.
In that year he was elected to the county board, and in 1907, when Edward J. Brundage resigned from the presidency he was elected to the office. He was reelected the next year, presiding over the board until 1912, when he and all the Republican candidates were defeated by members of the Bull Moose party.
Two years later, however, Mr. Busse was returned to the board and has served on it ever since. He has been on all the important committees and has been especially active in the promotion of good roads and the development of the county's system of forest preserves. This year marks his 50th anniversary in public life.
Sold Farm in 1894.
His term as deputy sheriff convinced him that he could not be a farmer and a public servant at the same time. In 1894 he sold his farm and moved to Mount Prospect--at that time only a flag stop on the Chicago and North Western railroad with a population of 35.
There he became a driving force in the hamlet, organizing a public school district and serving as its first secretary from 1898 to 1905. In 1911 he helped to found the Mount Prospect Improvement association. The first improvement, according to the records, was the purchase and installation of 25 kerosene street lamps. When the village was incorporated, Willaim Busse was the logical man for board president, an office he filled from 1917 to 1929.
Altho he can be found in his office in the county building six days a week, Mr. Busse has found time to become interested in banking, auto sales, and real estate, to help organize the St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran church, and incidentally to rear three sons and four daughters, all of whom are married and live in Mount Prospect.
Sons Shun Politics.
If none of his sons entered politics, it is because they have heeded the advice of their father. Despite his own success, he has never recommended it as a worthwhile field for a young man to enter.
But William Busse was not the only member of the family to enter public life. As early as 1856, his uncle, Christian Busse, eldest son of Friedrich, was elected to the office of town supervisor which included a seat on the county board. He remained as supervisor until 1900. Williams' father, Louis, the first of Friedrich's sons to wander off the family reservation, established a creamery in Arlington Heights and served ?0 years as a director of the school district and township highway commissioner.
William Busse Jr., under whose management the Mount Prospect State bank's deposits have grown from $11,000 to nearly a million dollars, also was the village postmaster for 21 years. Last year he was treasurer of the Illinois Bankers association, and is also a past president of group 3 of the association.
He is organizer and past president of the local Lions club, and is also in charge of the Mount Prospect United Service Organization drive which has exceeded its established quota.
Cherish American Way.
The American way of life has been cherished by the Busse family, from Friedrich on down. The first Busse walked all the way to Chicago to take out his first naturalization papers. he received his final certificate, still preserved in the family archives, eight years after his arrival in Elk Grove.
The call of the new world democracy, free from the whims of tyrants and the threat of wars, had been irresistible to him. A premonition which he often voiced, told him of "a great war in Europe when sovereigns would fall, war machines would move under their own power and the army of Prussia would be able to stand in the shade of one tree." Perhaps he also foresaw its resurrection at the hands of another tyrant.
At any rate, he died, happy in the realization that his progeny had become firmly established in the land of promise. In 1938, the 90th anniversary of his arrival in Elk Grove, 1,051 members of the family gathered to pay tribute to the patriarch. Seven years hence an even larger group perhaps will reunite to celebrate a century as an American institution.
[submitted by Source #96]


CHRISTIAN BUSSE, farmer, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1823, son of Fredrick and Frederika Busse. He came to Cook County, Ill., in 1848, locating on the farm where he now resides, on Section 14. Township 41, Range 11, consisting of 253 acres. He was married in 1848 to Miss Frederika Henjes. They have had six children, five are now living -- Fredrick. Louisa, Hannah, Henry and Frederika. The father of the subject of this sketch died in 1878, at the age of seventy-eight. He had forty-five grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Busse was elected Supervisor of Cook County, 1867, and held the position for six years. In 1873 he was elected one of the County Commissioners of Cook County. He is a member of the State Board of Equalization; he was elected in 1880. Be was Census Enumerator for his township in 1880, and has held various town offices. (source: Andreas, A. T.. History of Cook County, Illinois: from the earliest period to the present time. Chicago: A.T. Andreas, 1884 - submitted by Source #96)

Louis Busse, farmer and merchant, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1837, son of Fredrick and Frederika Busse. He came to Cook County in 1848 with his parents. His father located in Elk Grove township, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1878, at the age of seventy-eight years, The subject of this sketch has been extensively engaged in farming, owning one of the finest farms in the township, containing 416 acres. In 1880 he build a cheese and butter factory, and has since been engaged in the manufacture of these articles. The buildings are 84x52 and 84x32, erected at the cost of $7,000. He established a store in 1880, in which he carries a full stock of groceries, clothing, boots, and shoes, etc. He was married in 1863 to Miss Christine Kirchoff. They have seven children--William, Hannah, Sophia, Edward, George, Louis and August. He is a member of the Lutheran Church and has been trustee for seven years. He is Commissioner of Highways for the town of Elk Grove, Town Treasurer and school director, which office he has held for seven years.
[source: Andreas, A. T.. History of Cook County: from the earliest period to the present time. Chicago: A. T. Andreas, 1884 - submitted by source #96]


Albert F. Amling
Albert F. Amling is the son of Gottfried Amling who came to Cook county in 1850. The father married in this county Laurette Guenther and to them were born the following children: Adolphine, Albert F., Emeline, William, Ernest C, Herman, Emma, Amelia, Laura and Clara. After his marriage Mr. Amling settled on a farm in Proviso Township and there lived and labored many years. He is now retired and lives in Forest Park. In the early days he often hauled his produce to Chicago, driving his oxen to the courthouse square, unhitching them, and turning them out to graze on the grass growing there.
Albert F. was born in Proviso township, December 7, 1863, was reared on his father's farm, and received a common school education. When a young man, in company with a younger brother, he engaged in the greenhouse business on the land in Leyden Township now owned by him. This tract of twenty acres was owned then by their father. At first the brothers operated on only two acres. In 1889 they built three small greenhouses for the growing of flowers. Gradually the firm increased operations until they occupied the entire tract of twenty acres. They now have 150,000 square feet of glass in their greenhouses and five dwelling houses which are used in the business. The business is now extensive and prosperous. In 1899, Albert F. bought out his brother Ernest C., and the same year the business was incorporated under the name of Albert F. Amling Company, of which Albert F. is secretary and the largest stockholder. At present the business is rapidly increasing.
He married Caroline Reinke who was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, in 1866, being the daughter of Joachim and Mary (Weick) Reinke. To Mr. and Mrs. Amling have been born the following children: Ernest Carl, Otto Henry, Paul Frederick, Walter F, and Clarence Martin. Mr. Amling is a Republican, but does not take an active part in politics. He and wife are members of the Lutheran church at Melrose Park. He is one of the founders of the Maywood State bank and the Melrose Park State bank, and is vice-president and stockholder in both.
[source: Goodspeed, Weston A., ed.. Daniel D. Healy, ed.. "History of Illinois: being a general survey of Cook County History, including a condensed history of Chicago and special account of districts outside the city limits; from the earliest settlement to the present time." Vol. I-II: Goodspeed Historical Association, c1909. - submitted by Souce #96]



William Hyink, one of the well known and highly respected citizens of the town of Palos, now living a quiet retired life, was born in the village of Wenterswyk, Holland, September 1, 1848. Albert and Jennie (Rensink) Hyink, his parents, were also natives of Holland, They immigrated to the United States in 1862, where they continued to reside until their respective deaths. They were the parents of a family of five sons, all of whom deserve special recognition. John, the eldest, enlisted for the preservation of the Union during the Civil war and now resides in Muscatine; Garrett, a resident of Muscatine; Herman, a soldier in the Union army during the Civil war, also lives at Muscatine; Henry, who bore the part of a martyr in the great American conflict, was severely wounded and taken prisoner and after being exchanged died from the effects of his service while on the way home.
William Hyink, the youngest of the family and the immediate subject of this sketch, came with his parents to America when fourteen years old. He learned the carpenters' trade at Muscatine and was there employed for a number of years. In 1868 he went to Westfield, N. Y., but in 1870 came to Chicago, where for many years he was engaged in carpentering and contracting. He did an extensive business, employed a large number of men and built some important structures in Chicago and elsewhere. Among the more important buildings erected by his instruction were the rebuilding and enlarging of the Nelson Morris establishment at the Union Stock Yards in 1882-3, the building for the Allen Paper Car Wheel works, the ladies' boarding hall at Bauman college, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, extensive improvements for the N. K. Fairbanks company, and many others too numerous to mention. It should not be omitted, however, to state that he began the erection of the first building on the present site of the suburb of Pulman, since grown to be one of the most important in connection with the city of Chicago. A characteristic feature of all of his business undertakings is exemplified in the character of the man. As a boy he was taught honesty as one of the cardinal virtues, and no matter how small or large the undertaking, he saw to it that full value was given, first-class workmanship and material being necessary for the completion of the job. Now, when but little past the meridian of his life, he has retired from active business pursuits and is enjoying the fruits of a well spent life.
On December 24, 1872, Mr. Hyink married Miss Agnes Eckstein, and to their union twelve children have been born, the following nine now living: Edward, Ida, Emma, William, Frank, Henry, Benjamin, Bertha and Cora. Mrs. Hyink reared her children to clean wholesome lives and died March 2, 1902. Mr. Hyink, while retired from active business pursuits, takes a keen interest in public affairs and in the welfare of the community. His beautiful home in the village of Palos Park is where his happiest hours are spent surrounded by his children and commanding the respect and esteem of all who know him.
(source: Goodspeed, Weston A., ed.. Daniel D. Healy, ed.. History of Illinois - Being a General Survey of Cook County History, Including a Condensed History of Chicago and Special Account of Districts Outside the City Limits; from the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. Goodspeed Historical Association, c1909. - Submitted by Src #96)


Samuel Mahaffay, farmer, P.O. East Orland, was horn in the north of Ireland in 1804, son of Samuel and Mary Mahaffay. He came to America in 1825, and located in western New York. At the age of twenty-five with his father's family he came to Illinois. At the time of their arrival there were but two taverns and three stores in Chicago. They settled on the East Branch of the DuPage River, in Palos Township, on the farm where Mr. Mahaffay now resides. Their only neighbors were Indians. Mr. Mahaffay married in 1835 Miss Jane Paddock, who died in 1841, leaving three children, John, Mary and James. He married in 1842 Miss Betsey Churchill, a native of New York State, and daughter of Winslow and Mercy Churchill, They have had three children: William, died in the army at sixteen years of age; Samuel, died in infancy; Winslow, born in Palos Township in 1847. Winslow married in 1870 Miss Alice Grange, daughter of Thomas and Rose Grange; they have seven children - Ida, Jennie, Ella, William, Frank, Mabel and Betsey. Samuel bought the home farm at Government land sale; it consists of 320 acres.
Samuel Mahaffay was also a settler of 1834. In that year he located in the town of Palos on Section 34, and on the farm where he now lives. In 1835 he married Miss Jane Paddock, this being, so far as is known, the earliest wedding in the township.
(source: Andreas, A. T.. History of Cook County, Illinois: from the earliest period to the present time. Chicago: A.T. Andreas, 1884. History of Palos - submitted by Src #96)


MARTIN MADDEN
The Kingsport Times (Kingsport, Tennessee) April 27, 1928
Congressman Martin Madden from Illinois Dies Suddenly Today
Veteran Member Congress Expires Shortly After Stricken With Heart Attack

ACTIVE LEADER ON FLOOD BILL
Staunch Supporter of Coolidge Administration and Chairman of Appropriations Com.
WASHINGTON, April 27 (AP) -- Martin Madden, veteran member of Congress, from Illinois died suddenly today. Mr. Madden expired within a few minutes after being stricken by an acute attack of heart trouble. He was in his office at the time the attack occurred and breathed his last within a few minutes after Representative Strovich, of New York and a physician, reached him.
Fails to Respond
Representative Summers, of Washington, another physician, arrived a few minutes later. They administered first aid treatment but Mr. Madden did not respond and passed away quietly. The Representative was chairman of the appropriations committee and in this position was one of the most influential members of the House. He was a staunch supporter of the Coolidge administration and just recently took a leading part in trying to put over the desires of President Coolidge on the Mississippi River control bill.
Was in Conference
Mr. Madden was conferring with Representative Sproul of Illinois, at the time the attack occurred. While he was talking he suddenly slumped down in his chair. Mr. Sproul called to clerks in an office adjoining and they assisted him to a couch. He never regained consciousness. Just preceding his conference with Mr. Sproul, Mr. Madden had talked with other colleagues regarding the District of Columbia appropriation bill and somewhat heatedly had told the House members to hold out against amendments desired in the bill by the Senate. Mr. Madden was successful in two fields of effort which do not ordinarily overlap. Just as in politics he rose from an obscure seat on Chicago’s city council to a place of leadership in Congress so in his earlier years he had climbed from penniless English immigrant and waterboy in a stone quarry to head of a large and prosperous business establishment.
His Magic Words
For him, both as business man and public servant, the magic words were effort and economy. Lessons that he learned in his earlier struggle for a living were applied religiously to public fiscal policies in the years he served as head of the House committee on appropriations, which originates all the appropriations for the United States government. These lessons he began to learn in the school of personal experience at the age of ten, when he took a job as waterboy in a quarry at Lemont, Ill., six years after arrival in this country from England. Out of this mite he not only contributed to the support of the family, but saved enough to buy books and meet the other expenses of a night school. Studying in his spare time, he was able in addition to apply himself to his daytime work with an industry that won him promotion after promotion until in the course of the years he became the highest official of the stone company where he had made so humble a beginning. His reputation for sterling honesty and business sagacity meantime had won the attention of political leaders of the old Fourth ward of Chicago, and he was sent to the city council as a Republican in 1889. During a considerable portion of his service there he was chairman of the finance committee. The cry of “boodle” was common in those days of the city’s remarkable expansion, but he came through unscathed. Two months after he entered the council, Chicago entered upon a policy of annexing adjoining farm lands, in preparation for the day it was to take on the dignity of a metropolis. With the opening of new streets, ways and means to provide the needed revenue assumed first importance. He contributed notably to the solution of these problems. During his regime railroad crossings were abolished, the street railways systems reorganized, a lake front park system guaranteed, the world war held, the improvement of the Chicago River started, and “boodle” stamped out in the awarding of city contracts. Three times he declined the nomination for mayor. Then in 1897 he retired from the council to become a candidate for United States senator, but was defeated. He retained an active part in Republican politics, however, and in 1905 was elected to the House, to become quickly one of the great Republican triumvirate from Illinois, which included besides himself, Joseph G. Cannon and James R. Mann.
Into Prominence
As chairman of the committee on appropriations, Mr. Madden came into particular prominence during the economy regime of President Coolidge. While it increased his influence as one of the leaders of the House, the championship eventually proved a boomerang, reacting through the loss of friendships to his downfall when seeking the speakership. His candidacy in 1925 attracted a considerable following but he was defeated as Republican choice for speaker by Nicholas Longworth of Ohio. Not only did his integrity and business discretion require him to oppose pet appropriations sought by some of his Republican colleagues, but over-work and resulting illness caused him to become impetuous and intolerant and drove from him the support of some who had been his friends. Having no powers, as an orator, his political leadership was wielded largely on work in conference and committee, where he displayed keen business astuteness. He regarded the government as a corporation in which the citizens are stockholders, and applied to its management business methods. Mr. Madden participated actively in a long succession of Republican national conventions. His friends claimed that the credit belonged to him for swinging the Illinois delegation to support of the gold standard plank in 1896, a material factor in the decision of the convention at a time when much of the west was clamoring for free silver.
A Hard Worker
Always a hard worker, he usually remained in Washington during recesses of congress preparing material for the framing of appropriations bills in advance of the assembling of the house. While so engaged in the summer of 1923 after a trip to Europe to study financial conditions to be used in connection with proposed tax reduction, he suffered a heart attack while en route in an automobile to the capitol. For days his life was despaired of, and it was predicted as convalescence went in that he would be an invalid. These gloomy forecasts proved unfounded, and he was quickly back in harness. His illness had, however, taken away in a degree that even, suave temperament which had for so long been one of his characteristics. To most people with whom he came into contact, he created an impression of mystery. Never a voluble talker, he was a good listener, and seemed always to have something in reserve, his field of information being surprisingly complete. An accident in a stone quarry caused the loss of a foot which was replaced artificially so that he was not required to use crutches and suffered little inconvenience in walking. His biography published in the Congressional Directory for years was notable for its brevity. It occupied but a line and a half, merely stating his name, his place of residence, and that he “was elected to the Fifty-ninth and each succeeding congress.”
He was born in Darlington, England, March 20, 1855, the son of John Madden, a farmer. When he was four years old his family emigrated to this country, landing at Boston and going at once to Lemont, Ill., where they took up a farm. From the time he took his first job at the stone quarry, however, young Madden adopted that line of business as his own. He became president of the Western Stone Company and a bank director, president of the Quarry Owners’ Association of the United States, president of the Illinois Manufacturers’ Association and vice-president of the Builders and Traders Exchange of Chicago. In 1878 he married Josephine Stuart of Downers Grove, Ill. [note: error – He married Josephine Smart.]
Dunkirk Evening Observer (Dunkirk, New York) April 27, 1928
CONG. MADDEN DIED SUDDENLY IN HIS OFFICE
Chairman of House Appropriations Committee Succumbed to Heart Attack
MEMBER FROM CHICAGO FOR THE LAST 22 YEARS

Collapsed While Discussing Legislative Matters With Rep. Sproul of Illinois-Death Occurred at 1:45 This Afternoon.
Washington, April 27. - (U. P)
Rep. Martin Madden, chairman of the house appropriations committee, dropped dead in his office today. Madden had served in congress continuously for 22 years as the Republican representative from the first Illinois district, Chicago. He was first elected to the 59th congress. Madden’s death was due to angina pectoris, hardening of the arteries, it was said by Rep. Strovich, of New York, a physician, who was called to after the veteran legislator collapsed. Madden was 75 years old. His majestic white head was a familiar sight in the house for years. Martin Barnaby Madden was born in Darlington, England, March 20, 1855. He went to work at the age of 10, in the stone quarries. Madden collapsed while discussing legislative matters with Rep. Sproul of Illinois. Strovich, after treating the stricken man, noticed a few signs of life, but suddenly the heart stopped beating. Artificial respiration was applied without success. Strovich said he knew Madden’s heart was affected, and had warned him several times recently to be careful. The physician pointed out that any emotional or physical disability might prove fatal. The death occurred at 1:45 p.m. It was announced to the house by Rep. Williams of Illinois, a few minutes later, and the house, which had been discussing farm legislation, adjourned immediately.
Madden was married to Josephine Smart, Downers Grove, Ill., May 16, 1878. One daughter, Mrs. Mabel Henderson, is living.
He was president of the Western Stone company and a director of the Metropolitan Trust and Savings banks. His home was in Chicago. Madden formally entered politics in Chicago in 1889, when he was elected to the Chicago city council, a position he held until 1897. In 1899 he became chairman of the Republican city committee. He held that position until 1896. He was a delegate to Republican national conventions in 1896 and 1900.

Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-2005
Martin Barnaby Madden
Date of Birth: 21 Mar 1855
Elected Office(s): Representative, Delegate, President, Vice President
State: Illinois, Washington
Country: England, USA
Biography: a Representative from Illinois; born in Wolviston, England, March 21, 1855; immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled in Chicago, Ill., in 1860; attended the public schools in Chicago and was graduated from Bryant and Stratton Business College in 1873; was also graduated from an engineering trade school; president of the Quarry Owners' Association of the United States 1885-1889; vice president and director of the Builders and Traders' Exchange of Chicago in 1886 and 1887; member of the Chicago City Council 1889-1897; served as presiding officer of that body 1891-1893 and chairman of the finance committee for seven years; chairman of the Republican committee of Chicago 1890-1896; president of the Western Stone Co. 1895-1915; director of the Metropolitan Trust & Savings Bank of Chicago 1895-1910; delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1896, 1900, 1912, 1916 and 1924; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1902 to the Fifty-eighth Congress; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-ninth and to the eleven succeeding Congresses and served from March 4, 1905, until his death; chairman, Committee on Appropriations (Sixty-eighth through Seventieth Congresses); had been nominated for reelection to the Seventy-first Congress; died in the room of the Committee on Appropriations of the House of Representatives, Capitol Building, Washington, D.C., April 27, 1928; interment in Fairview Cemetery, near Hinsdale, Du Page County, Ill.|Bibliography: Bullard, Thomas Robert. ''From Businessman to Congressman: The Careers of Martin B. Madden.'' Ph.D. diss., University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, 1973.

Decatur Evening Herald (Decatur, Illinois) May 5, 1928
MADDEN LEFT ESTATE OF OVER A MILLION (by United Press) CHICAGO, May 5
The will of the late Rep. Martin B. Madden divided his estate, valued between $1,000,000 and $2,000,000, between his widow, Mrs. Josephine Madden, and daughter Mrs. Mabel Henderson.
On the 16th of May, 1878, two months after passing the twenty-third anniversary of his birth, Martin B. Madden took the most important step of a good man's life: he married. The union was one of perfect natural selection, the result of a long acquaintance. The bride was Miss Josephine Smart, of Downer's Grove, Du Page county, Illinois. Her grandparents on both sides had emigrated from England to New York when her father, Elijah Smart, was six years of age and her mother Eliza Fell, six months. When Elijah Smart married he and his young wife started west. They journeyed in a wagon all the way from Cattaraugus county, N. Y., where they were reared, to Illinois and located at Downer's Grove. Here their daughter Josephine was born. At an early age she exhibited literary and musical talent of a high order, and her parents had her carefully educated. She attended Wheaton College and then pursued and finished her studies at Northwestern University. At the time of her marriage Miss Smart, because of her accomplishments and graces of person, was one of the greatest social favorites in northern Illinois. She had no superior among her sex in the entire West in either musical skill or developed talent in literary composition, prose and poetical. She might easily have reached any place before the public within a woman's ambition. Love of home, however, predominated in her disposition. After marriage she devoted her all talents to the woman's side of family and domestic life, and so became absolutely the partner of her husband. Heaven has entrusted these two with a daughter, now in her fifteenth year. (source: Brent, Edgar Weston. Martin B. Madden, Public Servant. Chicago: B. E. Weston, 1901

Morning Herald (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) July 2, 1930
A volume of poems dedicated to her late husband, Martin B. Madden, former congressman from Illinois, has been published by Josephine Smart Madden.
(submitted by Src #96)



John M. Powell, farmer, P.O. Palos, was born in Palos Township in 1839, son of M. A. and Clarinda B. Powell. On attaining his majority he engaged in farming and general stock-raising, and now owns 160 acres of land in the town of Palos. In 1863 he married Miss Louisa Warner, daughter of Peter and Julia Warner. They have eight children--Clarinda, Jessie, Nancy, George, Anna, Theresa, John and Herbert. Mr. Powell is Postmaster of Palos, being appointed in 1880. He has served as Collector of Palos Township for four years and school director eight years. He enlisted in 1852 in the War of the Rebellion in Company F, 100th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in engagements of Franklin, Perryville, Stewart's Creek, Stone River, Chickamauga and others. He entered as private and was promoted to Second Lieutenant soon after, receiving his commission in August, 1862; he was mustered out in the fall of 1863. (source: Andreas, A. T., History of Cook County, Illinois: from the earliest period to the present time. Chicago: A. T. Andreas, 1884. History of Palos - submitted by src #96)

M. A. Powell, farmer, P.O. Palos, was born in Lanesboro, Mass., in 1801, son of John and Nancy Powell. He came to Cook County in March, 1837, with his family, and located on the farm where he now resides, which consists of 320 acres. Mr. Powell was among the pioneers of Cook County. There were but nine families in the township of Palos when he made his location. He has been a man of great energy and perseverance, liberal-minded, and charitable. He has accomplished a fine property, and has won the respect and confidence of the people in the community in which he has lived for nearly fifty years. He was married in 1828 to Miss Clarinda B. Treat, daughter of Hosea Treat, of Trenton, Oneida Co., N.Y. Six of his eight children are now living--Norman, Amelia, John, Nancy, Julius and Hannah. Mrs, Powell died in 1862, and he was married in 1864 to Mrs. Nancy Rockafellow, daughter of Giles and Fanny Bump, natives of Oswego County, N. Y., who settled in Will County, Ill., in 1839, and there died, the father at the age of forty-six, and the mother at fifty-five years of age. Mr. Powell was elected Treasurer and Supervisor of Palos Township at the first election after the organization of the township in 1850, and has also held the offices of Assessor and Collector. He has been school director for a number of years, and was the first Postmaster in the township, being appointed at the establishment of the post-office of Orange. He served as Postmaster of that office, and subsequently of the Palos office, in all thirty-five years. (source: Andreas, A. T., History of Cook County, Illinois: from the earliest period to the present time. Chicago: A. T. Andreas, 1884. History of Palos - submitted by src #96)


Norman Powell, farmer, P.O. Palos, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1829, son of M. A. and Clarinda Powell. He came to Cook County with his parents in 1837, who located on a farm in Palos Township, where they have since resided. Mr. Powell in early life learned the trade of a blacksmith, which he has since followed in connection with farming. He owns a farm of 346 acres. In 1856 he married Miss Mary Anderson, daughter of William and Polly Anderson; they have two children--Eddie and Frank. Mr. Powell has been Supervisor and school treasurer of Palos Township, and school director for a number of years. (source: Andreas, A. T., History of Cook County, Illinois: from the earliest period to the present time. Chicago: A. T. Andreas, 1884 - submitted by src #96)


BACK - HOME

Genealogy Trails
©Illinois Genealogy Trails