Cook County, IL
Presented by Illinois Genealogy Trails
Lincoln Park is a northern community of Chicago. It is bordered on the north by Diversey Parkway, on the west by Clybourn Avenue, on the south by North Avenue, and on the east by the Lincoln public park.
Pres. Lincoln obviously, but the Park was named after the former City Cemetery, now known as "The Lincoln Park", which exists within the boundaries of the Lincoln Park community.
The Park includes a zoo, outdoor theatre, a rowing canal, the Peggy Notebart Nature Museum, ponds, playing fields, and a large statue of, among others, General Grant.
DePaul University is located within the Lincoln Park community boundaries.
Old Town Triangle
Wrightwood Neighbors - bordered by Fullerton on the south, Halsted on the East, Diversey on the North, and Lakewood Avenue on the West
ORIGINAL SETTLERS/PROMINENT PEOPLE/IMPORTANT DATES:
Native Americans were settled along Green Bay Road, now called Clark Street, at the current intersection of Halsted Street and Fullerton Avenue.
1824: The U.S. Army built a post near today's Clybourn and Armitage Avenues. The area remained largely unsettled since it was considered to be so remote. Because of its remoteness, a small pox hospital and the city cemetery were located in Lincoln Park until the 1860s.
1837: Chicago was incorporated as a city and North Avenue was its northern boundary.
1864: Graves from the "City Cemetery" in Lincoln Park were moved and the development to make it into a park started.
1868: Lincoln Park Zoo founded
INTERESTING HISTORICAL FACTS:
Lincoln Park (the park, not community) - Lincoln Park began its existence as the City Cemetery. In 1864, the city council decided to turn the cemetery into a park. Permission was received from all descendants to move graves with one major exception. The Couch family, who owned a small mausoleum in the cemetery, refused to give their permission. To this day, the Couch mausoleum can still be seen, standing amidst trees, behind the Chicago Historical Society. Ira Couch, who is buried in the tomb, was one of Chicago's earliest innkeepers, opening the Tremont House in 1835. Couch is not the only person to still be buried in Lincoln Park. In 1852, David Kennison, who claimed to have been born in 1736, died and was buried in City Cemetery. Kennison claimed to have been the last survivor of the Boston Tea Party. As recently as 1986, construction in the park has revealed more bodies left over from the nineteenth century.
Another large and important group of graves relocated from the site of today's Lincoln Park was that of approximately 6,000 Confederate prisoners-of-war who died at Camp Douglas (located south of downtown Chicago near the stockyards). The prisoners held there in 1862-65 died largely as a result of the terrible conditions of hunger, disease and privation existing at that notorious Federal prison. Today their gravesite may be found at Oak Woods Cemetery in the southern part of Chicago. A one acre (4,000 m²) mass grave and a monument erected by Southerners and Chicago friends in 1895 immortalizes these Southerners whose remains were interred in the North, originally buried at the site of today's Lincoln Park and removed after the American Civil War.
[source: Wikepedia.com, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Park_%28park%29]
Of the many statues to be found in Lincoln Park, it's an interesting note that the statue of John Peter Altgeld, the nineteenth-century Illinois Governor who pardoned the Haymarket Square rioters, was created by Gutzon Borglum, the sculptor of Mount Rushmore.
Some of the more famous statues within Lincoln Park: