Genealogy Trails
Cumberland County Churches


ALLEN CHAPEL
(United Brethren)
Allen Chapel was originally planned to be built at the Paul Cemetery. However, plans were changed and it was built in Greenup Township, located southwest across the corner from the Wade School. Sunday School commenced at Allen Chapel Sunday. March 22. 1909. Services were not held very long in this church. When they were discontinued, the congregation went to the Block (Mt. Zion) Church. Charlie Allen gave land for this church.

ADVENT CHURCH, ROSLYN
In 1900 an Advent Church was built across the road west of the present Methodist Church, The site was given by Mrs, Sarah Elder. Some of the charter members were; Mrs. Sarah Elder and daughters,
Mrs, Florence Easton Howe and Mrs. Gertie Niccum; Samuel and Margret McElhinney; Mrs. Eliza McColloch and the J. W. Olmsted family and others.
The first minister was the Rev. Marshall McColloch. Another minister was the Rev, L. P. Olson, Services were discontinued and the building removed before 1910. This information was given by Mrs. Gertie Niccum who resides on the farm where the church was located. The Baptist /church of Greenup was organized in 1892 and the church built in 1897. James L, Ryan and daughter, Mrs. Myrtle Rose were original members. Mr, Ryan was a lawyer who became a preacher and soon gave all of his time to that work. Other member families were Carson and Crouch, Sometime about 1920 the church ceased to be active. Later it was torn down.
The present Baptist church became active since World War II. There was a strong Universalist Church in Greenup for several years between 1880 and 1910, Some of the members were the Robertson, Monohon, Ewart, Lyons and Dillon families. Miss Chaney was their minister in the 1890's and Rev. J, K. Dillon later. This building was empty for some years, but was bought by the Ettelbrick Shoe Company and is now used for church education purposes. There is at present an active Christian church in Greenup, No Data at hand.

ANTIOCH CHURCH OF CHRIST
This church's history is found on page 91 of 1968 history book. The Antioch Church of Christ remains active and in good repair. Services are held regularly. Area preachers alternate conducting services.

ANTIOCH CHURCH OF CHRIST
The Antioch Church of Christ is located on the Union Center road about a mile east of Route 130, Caleb Decker sold the ground for the church site for $20,00. Jacob Hampsten gave the church the name Antioch, He also helped build the building, hewing the sills with an ax. Others who helped with the building were William Decker and Caleb Decker, John A. Decker and John W, Tharp made the seats Burkett Hosney made the desk, still in use. James Madison Tipsword, John Andrew Jackson Decker were two of the early preachers. Bill Heater taught singing lessons. The church was built in 1890.
(Extracted from The Cumberland , Richmond and Jasper County History Book)

ASBURY PILGRIM HOLINESS CHURCH
Around the year 1890, a plot of ground located one-fourth mile south of the Timothy Store was donated from the properly of and by Isaac Stirewalt for the erection of a Methodist Church in this community. It was not to be sold or moved, and was deeded to the trustees and their successors whose names were recorded on the deed: William Stewart, James McCullough, James B. Wall, Isaac Stirewall, and Marshall Stewart.
Pioneer workers and members of this project were Esra and Minerva Kemper, Coe and Sarah Jobe, Margaret Ann and Ezra Stirewalt, Jim and Sarah McCullough, Sarah and Jack Carr, Mary and Clabe Carr, Marion Williams and family, and the St. Johns family. Isaac Stirewalt and Jack Carr were the main carpenters. Logs were cut and hauled, lumber and labor were donated by many interested persons in the community.
It was dedicated a Methodist Church in 1891, and records were made in the courthouse in July 1894. In the year 1912, W. E. and Grace Catey came to this community to make their home and set about to revive and reorganize the Sunday School work.
As the church grew in love and grace of God and the knowledge of truth as it is in Jesus Christ, they felt led by the Holy Ghost to organize a Pilgrim Holiness Class at Asbury. So in November 1928, the church was organized with about 20 members and Rev. Hurtle Evans was pastor.
The church remains active at this time with Rev. Jeff Bladin serving as the present minister. The church celebrated its 100th year anniversary, September 1, 1991.



BETHABARA
(Cumberland Presbyterian)
Johnny Hoseney owned the land and timber around this location, one-half mile south of Diona. He gave the land and furnished the lumber to build this church in 1856. It was sided in walnut and built sturdy, being the reason it still stands.
The congregation disbanded in 1956.

THE BRUSH CREEK CHURCH
As nearly as could be determined this church must have been built about the year of 1893. A lady who lived in the community at that time says that the first funeral held in the church was that of Paten A Pearson. The date on his tombstone is May 16, 1894.
The land was given by Pleasant Baker. The carpenter in charge of construction was Corda Wilson of Neoga. Men of the neighborhood donated their work. The building was built by the people for a community church, but it later was dedicated by the Church of Christ,
Charter members of the Church of Christ were; Reason and Aletha Mathes; Wm, H. Deney; Eli and Mary Whitaker; John and Mary Hunter; Pleasant and Amelia Baker; Charles and Sarah Stevens; Sarah Huffman; Elizabeth Strohl; Sarah Baker; Joseph Sparks; Ira O, Baker; Elvin W. Hunter; John and Jenneta Peters and Henry and Sarah Burton.
There were long periods of time when there were no services in this church so the building became impaired and was taken down. About the year of 1948 it was replaced by a small stone chapel, paid for by the members, the people of the neighborhood, and many people who use the Brush Creek Cemetery.

CALVARY TABERNACLE
Calvary Tabernacle is located two blocks west and two blocks south of the courthouse in Toledo
The church, an affiliate of the United Pentecostal Church International, was pastored by its founder, Reverend Charles H. Seeley, and his faithful wife, Inez Hillard Seeley, until October of 1970. At that time, due to ill health and advancing age, Reverend Seeley resigned the pastorate.
Sister Seeley was called Home to be with the Lord in July of 1971. In December of 1987, Brother Seeley was called to his reward. They were greatly loved and appreciated.
In December of 1970, Reverend and Mrs. Jack L. Jenkins and young son, Kevin, became the pastoral family. Building on the strong foundation laid by Reverend and Mrs. Seeley. the congregation soon tripled in number under the able leadership of Reverend and Mrs. Jenkins.
The original sanctuary was remodeled in 1970 and in 1980 a new sanctuary was built onto the existing building, adding offices, nursery, restrooms, and additional classrooms. In October of 1987, the Golden Anniversary of Calvary Tabernacle was  celebrated by the church family with heartfelt thanks of gratitude for the untiring efforts of Reverend and Mrs. Seeley in establishing a strong and solid foundation, and for the continued and faithful leadership of Reverend and Mrs. Jenkins, who will have completed 22 years of selfless service to Calvary Tabernacle in December of this year.
Submitted by Alberta Ward Brown

CALVARY TABERNACLE
Calvary Tabernacle in Toledo is located two blocks west and two blocks south of the court house. It was built in the summer of 1939 and dedicated October, 8, of that year. Beginning in June 1937, prayer meetings were conducted in the home of Mr, and Mrs, Earl Woollen, in Toledo, with Rev, Charles Seeley in charge. At this time those interested attended Sunday School and Sunday evening services in the country church,
White Hall, seven miles west of Toledo, where Rev, Seeley was pastoring. In August 1937, a Brush Arbor was pitched on the location where the church now stands, and Evangelist Ruby Layel of Hillview, Ill, was engaged to conduct a revival. This revival continued seven weeks, and at its close the congregation moved into a building on the south side of the square, owned by Mr. J. B. Cartmill. The services continued here two years until the new church was built. Daring this time Mrs. Earl Woollen was the church secretary and treasurer, and Roscoe VanScyoe was the first Sunday School Superintendent, At the time of removing into the new church the congregation numbered one hundred twenty members, sixty of whom were adults and sixty young people.
After a few years five Sunday School rooms and a furnace room were added to the original auditorium. Later, rest rooms were built, and this year, 1967, another addition of Sunday School rooms and a baptistery is being completed. Calvary Tabernacle is an affiliate of the rapidly growing, worldwide organization of the United Pentecostal Church. Rev, Charles H. Seeley who was ordained in 1939 has been the pastor the past thirty years, having observed the thirtieth anniversary of the church and his pastorate on October 8, 1967.


CATHOLIC
The first Catholic church in Cumberland County was built in 1871. It was located five and one-half miles east of Sigel on what was then the Wm. Meyer farm.
The congregation numbered 12 or 14 families. Services were discontinued in 1881 and the building was taken down in 1883.

CATHOLIC CHURCH
The first Catholic church in Cumberland county was built in 1871. It was located five and one-half miles east of Sigel on what was then the Wm. Meyer farm, now occupied by Mr, and Mrs Leander Tays, It was located across the road from what is now the Albert Overbeck farm, formerly owned by Adam Sehi. The congregation numbered about 12 or 14 families. Services were discontinued in 1881 and the building taken down in 1883.

CHRIST THE KING CATHOLIC CHURCH OF GREENUP
The history of Christ the King parish began when Mr. Nicholas Ettelbrick Sr. approached Bishop James Griffin of Springfield asking that a parish be located in the town of Greenup. He offered to donate the land and a church building for this purpose. Mr.  Ettelbrick owned and operated the Ettelbrick Shoe Company headquartered In Greenup.
The bishop gave his approval of the project and ground was broken for the new church on May 26, 1937, with Nicholas  Ettelbrick Sr. doing the honors. The cornerstone was laid on August 24 of that year with Reverend James Cranke of Effingham officiating.
The building of the church continued through the fall and a pastor for the new parish. Reverend George Powell, arrived on  October 20. He said the first Mass for the parish on Sunday, October 28. in the home of Nicholas Ettelbrick Sr. The church was finished and dedicated by Bishop Griffin on December 19. 1937. At the time there were 14 families in the new parish which was given the name of "Christ the King."
The parish witnessed a steady growth in the beginning years and in 1939 witnessed their first vocation celebrate his first solemn Mass in the Church of Christ the King. Reverend Rene Ettelbrick O.F.M.. the son of Nicholas and Emma Ettelbrick was ordained on June 29. 11 days after the death of his mother. He celebrated his first solemn Mass here on August 27,1939. His brother. Albert, was later ordained for the Diocese of Springfield on August 5. 1942. and also celebrated his first  Mass in this church. Reverend Albert Ettelbrick died suddenly in an automobile accident on March 23. 1953. Over 60 priests  attended his funeral Mass at Christ the King. Reverend Rene Ettelbrick worked for many years as a missionary in South  America and is now retired living in Texas.
In 50 years the parish has been served by ten priests. Reverend George Powell was replaced in 1939 by Reverend Frank Lawler who served until 1942. In that year Reverend Lawrence Mailingly was assigned and he remained (or ten years. He was followed by Reverend M. J. O'Reilly who was here for a brief time in 1952. He was followed by Reverend Charles Jerome Juzaitis who arrived in February 1953. During this time, the children began attending religion classes in an old church at the corner of Lincoln and Kentucky  Streets. The building was owned and remodeled by Nicholas Ettelbrick Jr. for this purpose. It was about this time that two sisters from Teutopolis began coming on Saturdays to teach the classes. They have been coming ever since although classes are now held on Wednesday evening*. During the '50s there was talk and even a fund established to build a Catholic school in Greenup but the plans never materialized.
Reverend Juzaitis celebrated his 25th year as a priest in 1960 and died the following year on August 4. He was followed by Reverend George Nelis. During his pastorate the parish celebrated its 25th anniversary with a banquet at the Greenup municipal building. Also on October 14 of that same year (1962) ground was broken for a new rectory to be built adjacent to the old one. In 1964, the church was redecorated, new stations were added and the light fixtures were bronzed. In 1965, the old church used for CCD. was donated in the parish and remodeled.
In 1970, Reverend Nelis was replaced by Reverend Joe Schmertman. Under his pastorate. plans were begun for a new parish hall to be built on the west side of the church property. Father Schmertman died suddenly on April 7. 1973. and for a time, the parish was administered by Reverend Larry Auda of Marshall. The Franciscans from Teutopolis would come to help  on the weekends. The Parish Hall was finished and dedicated in 1974. It was also in that year that Father Gilbert Bums, a Carmelite priest, came to live in residence at Greenup. In 1976. he was appointed administrator and remained at the parish until September of 1987. During his pastorate. the parish constructed a parking lot to the south of the parish hall. Also a statue of Christ the King was placed and dedicated in front of the parish hall. Reverend Jeff Crani arrived in September of 1987 to become the new pastor and remains in that capacity at this time.

CHURCH OF CHRIST
This story about the Church of Christ, located south of Union Center, is to update history on page 95 and 96 of Cumberland County History Book, 1968. As older members moved or passed away, the number became so few that the congregation went to the Casey Church. The building was eventually removed from the site.

JACK OAK CHURCH OF GOD
This story is to update history on page 96 of the Cumberland County 1968 History Book. On August 31. 1986, the 100th anniversary of the Jack Oak Church of God was celebrated. As of February 1990. another new addition, including a new church office, new rest rooms, and another Sunday School room was added. At the time of this history, church membership stood at 67. The church continues with morning and evening services each Sunday and mid- week prayer services. Rev. Kieth Brown is pastor.

OLD CONCORD CHURCH
Old Concord Church was organized in 1830 or earlier, as it petitioned for membership in the Wabash District Association on  October 2, 1830. The church was listed as having 16 members, and David Moore was her messenger to the association that year. In May 1831, Concord Church went into the constitution of a new association called The Okaw Association, at which time the church messengers were Daniel Drake and Daniel Moore, who reported 15 members. Later in the year, G. Gillstrap and George Cross were also messengers lo another session. The early history of the church is unknown, except for what may be gleaned from  association minutes, as the actual records of the church meetings have not been located. Fortunately, many of the annual printed association minutes do exist, and are kept in The Primitive Baptist Library, 416 Main Street, Carthage, Illinois, 62321, (217) 357-3723. These minutes have also been microfilmed, except for those which have been located in recent years. The minutes of the Okaw Association are also preserved in the above library. Old Concord Church became a member of the Wabash District Association once again in 1880. A building was built at the site of the Concord Cemetery, four and one-hall or five miles northwest of Neoga, south of the pavilion on Lake Mattoon, in Neoga Township, Cumberland County, in 1884. A picture of this building has been located. The church apparently ceased to hold meetings about 1940.
Submitted by Mrs. Vesta Brick

NEGRO SETTLEMENT
(South of Jewett)

The only colored Sunday School reported in Cumberland County was south of Jewett, Illinois. In the late convention, they reported 20 scholars and many visitors. Not many citizens know of this school but it is a fact of usefulness. A brief account  of this settlement appears in the 1968 history book on page 31 and an extended account of some of the families in the 1993 history section.

COTTONWOOD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
(To update history found in 1968 History Book, pages 100,101, and 102.)
Cottonwood United Methodist Church continues to have Sunday School every week and worship services on the second and fourth Sundays. Average attendance is 12 with an enrollment of 30. The decline in rural population and deaths of many older members have affected Cottonwood adversely. However, conference obligations are met and the church is in good standing.
An ice cream social and soup supper are annual events at Cottonwood. In 1970, the Reverend W. J. Brown succeeded the Reverend James Whitkanack. The Reverend John Hires was pastor from 1972-79. From 1979 to 1983, the Reverend Wm. O. Lipp ministered; the Reverend Joseph Wartick succeeded him and serves at the present time.

FAIRVIEW
(United Brethren)

To update information on page 124 of 1968 History Book, pages 95 and 96.)
Fairview was located one mile east of Union Center on the corner with the Fairview School. The land was donated by Joseph and Harriet Strockbine. Some family names who were early members were Yanaway, Strockbine, Kuhn, Luke, McMillan, and Cutright.
In later years, attendance was low and it was closed. In 1931, the building was moved from this location to one mile south of Union Center where the Church of Christ used it for service. (History of Church of Christ in 1968 History Book, pages 95 and 96.)
After several years of Church of Christ members holding services south of Union Center in this building, the number became too few to continue and the building was removed. The remaining congregation went to Casey.

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF GREENUP
(To update history in 1968 History Book, pages 119 and 120.)
A centennial celebration was held in 1971 with Estaline Miller, Carrie Carson, Mary Holt, Mildred Brooks, Alberta Ewart, and Ina Dillier serving on the planning committee. Reverend John Johnson, the present minister, has served the church since September 1979.

GREENUP UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
(To update history found on pages 110, 111, and 112 of 1968 History Book.)
As a result of a merger of Evangelical United Brethren Churches and Methodist Churches in 1968. the church now bears the name United Methodist Church of Greenup. Reverend Gene Guthrie has served the church for the past year and eight months preaching his last sermon in the pulpit March 8, 1992. He leaves for an appointment in the Danville Methodist Churches and Reverend Roger Kilzer will serve as interim pastor until July 1992.

GREENUP FIRST SOUTHERN BAPTIST CHURCH
This church was founded in the year 1943. Ten people were present to work out details. The church joined the Palestine Association and two years later moved to the Westfield Association where we still belong. Reverend Gaylord Green was the church clerk at this time.
The church did not have a regular meeting place until 1949 when Arthur Heddins offered the use of an annex to his blacksmith shop to use for a revival. Reverend C. D. Newsome led the revival which resulted in 25 new people being added to the church rolls. By 1952, we were able to purchase the building which we now occupy. Much work was done to convert the building into a church. The auditorium was completely remodeled in 1975 and the new addition was added. A great deal of work was one on these by Brother Alva Wade, Brother DeMoss. and Brother Mark Speers.
We started a church bus ministry in 1978 buying a bus which we named "The Blue Goose." This was sold in 1984 when a van was purchased. This van was later donated to a sister church and the present van was Purchased. Past ministers include: C. D. Newsome, Jessie Ceilings, W. A. Fuson, R. C. Fuson, Virgil DeVore, Harold Pyles, Eddie Lomeline, Clarence Patterson, Rick Emerick, John Alumbaugh, Evan Beasley, Jack Barton, and the present minister. Harold Byers. Ministers ordained through the church are Harry Raines in 1962, John Alumbaugh in 1978, Evan Beasley in 1983, and Jack Barton in 1984.
The debt for bonds sold for remodeling was paid off in full on April I, 1991, leaving the church debt-free. We are looking for-ward lo new growth and possibly a new church in the years to come.

HARMONY FRIENDS CHURCH
Harmony Friends Church is located three miles north of Greenup on Route 130 and west one-fourth mile.
The church had its beginning in the Lost Creek log schoolhouse about 1870. In 1876, a new building was built with Isaac Stirewalt and Andrew Jackson Carr as carpenters. It was built one-half mile north of the schoolhouse by Peach Orchard Cemetery. The new building was used by Methodists and Quakers alike.
A few years later, the two congregations together built the Asbury Church. The Methodists moved into the new building. The Harmony Friend Church was part of the Pleasant Grove Quarterly Meeting and the Plainsfield, Indiana, Western Yearly Meeting.
The first sermon preached was the funeral of Joel Williams who died November 29,1876. Naming the church Harmony due to the harmony of the people at that time has been attributed to this man.
In 1929, the old church was lorn down and in June 1930, the present building was dedicated by Richard Newby, superintendent of Western Yearly Meetings (free of any debt). Some of the pastors of the church were Cyrus Moon, Elwood Lewis, Charles High, Danny Wykew, Earnest Kiveit, George Jordan, Clarence Orier, Edith Hill, and Lee Guyer.
Unfortunately, the Quaker Church was "laid down" because of lack of membership. The cemetery is still a very popular resting place for many of the original members, families, and descendants. The church is being cared for now by Hazel and Ted Hilsmeier and the Grace Believers. It is called the Harmony Grace Church.

HAZEL DELL CHURCH OF CHRIST
Near the year 1864, a group of interested citizens saw the need for a place of worship in Hazel Dell. There was a cemetery on the north side of the road since 1849. They chose an area near the cemetery and began to build the church. It was late in 1865 before it was completed and services could be held. Split logs were used for seals until 1867.
Various denominations held services at this new building and it was known as the Union Church. In 1879, it became known as the Church of Christ and has remained the same for over 100 years. Among those serving as elders and deacons in the early years were A. J. McCash, Peter Burnett, George Henahaw, Samuel Welker, John Lawson and James Pullen.
In 1890, a group left the Church of Christ and built another church building on the opposite (south) side of the road. This became the Church of God.
The Church of Christ grew and after World War II, it seemed the time had come to have a new building. One of the members. Mill Kelly, donated the framework from his woods, Cleone Markwell donated his bulldozer, operated by John Yehon, to prepare the basement. Numerous others from the community along with the church members donated help and by August 1949, the first services were held in the new building. The brick was laid by Walter Cox after being trucked by Harry Burnett and son Bill from the penal farm near Brazil, Indiana. Mildred Burnett refinished the communion table and pulpit stand which were made by Mori Sturls around 1900- She also refinished three chairs purchased from his store.
Harry Burnett, Vernie Mullen and Ear! Spencer were elders at this time along with deacons Olin Burnett and Bruce Spencer. Later Ralph Chapman, Howard Hawker and Chester Sharp served as elders and Orville Yelton and Dean Sharp as deacons. The bell was made by C. S. Bell at Hillsboro, Ohio, in the late 1800s. It was taken from the old church and stored in the basement until the early 1980s when it was mounted on a brick structure in the front lawn of the church where it rings for each service.

HAZEL DELL CHURCH OF GOD
On October 3, 1890, a plot of ground, located on the south side of the street in Hazel Dell, was deeded from the property of James A. Kelly and his wife, Sarah A., for the erection of a Church of God in this community. Sunday School and preaching had been held much earlier than this in groves, residences, and schoolhouses. The trustees recorded on the deed were W. A. Applegate, W. W. Shadley, and F. M. Kelly.
The origin of the Hazel Dell Church of God dates back to when a religious service was held in an Army camp during the Civil War. Elder George Sandoe, an Army chaplain, conducted the service and W. A. Applegate of the Hazel Dell community was converted. In 1866, an organization was completed with probably ten or 12 members. In 1889, when things were going rather badly, Elder Mary Berkstresser was sent here part-time. She began to talk to members privately and publicly about building a church. The people did not think it possible, but the desire for a building was strong. Miss Berkstresser with a horse and buggy canvassed the countryside and found many people ready to help.
The first Church of God building was completed and dedicated in 1890. It was a small white frame building and served the people many years. In April 1939, Miss Emma Laymon came before the congregation and offered to erect, free of charge, a new building if it would be accepted. Only one requirement was made—that the church should be named "The Laymon Memorial Bethel," as a memorial to Miss Laymon's parents, Joseph and Evaline Laymon, and her uncle and aunt, Daniel and Huldah Laymon. All were lifetime members of the church.
On February 7, 1941, this church was destroyed by fire. With the help of the insurance and people willing to work, another building was immediately started. Miss Emma Laymon secured pews, light fixtures, chairs, and paid the balance to the contractor not covered by insurance. The piano was given by her brother and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Laymon. Thus, on November 2, 1941, the second Laymon Memorial Bethel Church of God was dedicated.
A parsonage in Hazel Dell was purchased by the congregation in 1962. It is located second house north of the four-way stop in Hazel Dell on the west side of the street. The church observed its 100th anniversary April 25, 1971. On July 11, 1971, a dedication was held for a new piano presented to the church by the Ray Chapman family.
An addition to the parsonage was built in 1972. A large room was added to the front of the home. It was dedicated July 23, 1972. On November 17, 1974, a new organ was dedicated.
Five young men from this church have gone into the ministry. They are as follows: Allen Laymon is pastor of First Baptist Church in Charlotte, North Carolina. Richard is ministering in music at the Boiling Springs Church of God in Decatur, Illinois.
Harold Taggart dedicated his life in 1957 and is serving the Open Bible Church in Apache Junction, Arizona, working among the Indians. Larry Hollensbee was ordained September 4, 1981, and is pastoring the Blue Grass Church of God near Martinsville, Illinois.
Danny Harper was ordained July 22, 1988, and is pastor of the Moriah Church of God, southeast of Casey, Illinois. Joe Miller serves as pastor of the Hazel Dell Church of God at this time.

INDEPENDENT BIBLE BELIEVERS
The church, Greenup's youngest church, was organized in July 1978, with 14 charter members meeting in a home located east of Greenup on York Road. That home served as the church's meeting place until September of that same year when the congregation moved into a rented store-front building located on Greenup's main street—118 East Cumberland. The congregation soon outgrew those limited facilities so that in the summer of 1979, the church once again relocated to 211 North Missouri, its present location. At the time this history was written, membership stood at 34 with attendance averaging in the 40s.
This church is a fundamental, nondenominational, evangelistic, missionary-minded church. Fundamental in its faith—standing for the old-time religion of salvation by faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and believing in the absolute authority of the Bible as infallible, inerrant, and the only rule of faith and practice. Non-denominational in its charter—holding membership in no denomination, convention, or association, but fellows hipping with other churches of like fundamental faith. Evangelistic in its emphasis—preaching Christ as the answer to the need of the soul of man and teaching the believer's responsibility to be a witness to a lost and dying world. Missionary-minded in its practice—regularly supporting missionaries in foreign countries as well as in the United States. This church is happy to be a part of the Greenup community.
The pastor. Dr. Tom Meachum, and the congregation extend an invitation to the community to attend any and all of its services where you will find a warm welcome from folks who love the Lord and would love to have you worship with them.

HOPEWELL BAPTIST CHURCH AT JOHNSTOWN
(History found on pages 107 and 108 of 1968 History Book.)

JEWETT COMMUNITY CHURCH
The Jewett Christian Church was founded in 1902. It has been remodeled and a fellowship hall built on the west side and remains active today as the Jewett Community Church.

JOHNSTOWN EVANGELICAL UNITED BRETHREN
(Evangelical United Brethren Church, page 102,103 and 104 in 1968 History Book.)
This church was organized in 188? by Reverend A. Rider of Westfield, Illinois. The group worshiped in a building owned by the Christian Church until 1899. In 1898, they decided to build a house and made it available to other denominations when they were not using it. This church grew and still stands. The denomination now is United Methodist due to the merge of E.U.B. churches with the Methodist Church.

LIBERTY HILL CHURCH
(To update history appearing in 1968 History Book, page 108.)
This church was organized and controlled as the United Brethren in Christ. In 1946, the name was changed to Evangelical United Brethren. In 1968, the Evangelical and Methodist churches merged, so the name is now Liberty Hill United Methodist Church. Reverend Gene Guthrie served as minister for the past one year and eight months preaching his last sermon March 8, 1992. He has been appointed to Danville and Reverend Roger Kilzer will be interim pastor until July of this year.

MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH OF TOLEDO
(NOW SUMPTER TOWNSHIP LIBRARY)
The Missionary Baptist Church in Toledo was built in 1890, but was short-lived as a church. In 1923, a tax was voted by the people to maintain a library and this building was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. A. Armer who were operating a millinery store in it. It continues to be used today as the Sumpter Township Library.

MT. ZION CHRISTIAN CHURCH
(Originally Longpoint)
(To update history found on pages 94 and 95 of 1968 book.)
On December 15, 1971, this church was totally destroyed by a tornado with only part of the furnishings being salvaged. On January 18, 1972, a contract for a new building was given to Sherlock Holmes and the first service in the new building was Easter sunrise service April 2, 1972. During the construction of the new church, both church and Sunday School services were held at the Liberty Hill Community Center.
Dedication services were held September 24, 1972. This was exactly 80 years after the first dedication. Reverend Raymond  Rennels was pastor at the time of the 1972 dedication. November 16, 1987, it was decided to start building a new addition consisting of Sunday School room, two bathrooms, and a basement underneath. The addition was completed and completely paid for in the spring of 1989 entirely by donations. Brother Dan Smith is pastor of the church at this present time with services held regularly.

METHODIST CHURCH OF JEWETT
(Page 29 of Cumberland County 1968 book.)
The stalely old Methodist Church served the Jewett community for many years, not only as a church, but many other functions as well. At one time it had an enrollment of 240 with standing room only. It was a gathering place for "pie suppers," Christmas plays, practice hall for Cumberland County Barn Dance and many other activities. It stood where the food stand is built in the village park now.

METHODIST CHURCH OF JEWETT
(Page 29 of Cumberland County 1968 book.)
The stately old Methodist Church served the Jewett community for many years, not only as a church, but many other functions as well. At one time it had an enrollment of 240 with standing room only. It was a gathering place for "pie suppers," Christmas plays, practice hall for Cumberland County Barn Dance and many other activities. It stood where the food stand is built in the village park now.

NEBO SEPARATE BAPTIST CHURCH
(History on page 113, Cumberland County 1968 book.)
Some people believe the lime of organization of this church goes back to the 1830s. Meetings were first held in the old Hogback schoolhouse, a mile south and on the southwest corner of the road from the later Hogback building. Actual records do not go back beyond 1890, but it is thought the old building goes back at least to 1845-48. The building at this time is in good repair and holding regular services.

NEOGA BAPTIST CHURCH
Neoga Baptist Church began as a mission sometime in 1956 or a little before. A meeting was held in the home of Carl and Nellie Clark in Neoga after having been invited by Carl and Nellie and Mary Ballinger. Families represented in that meeting were the Leonard Atteberry family, the Leonard Hammonds, Willis Mays, Wayne Clarks, the Pauline Mefford family, and this writer. They organized as a mission under the wing of The First Southern Baptist Church of Effingham, Illinois. They rented the Bigler theater building which is now a lodge, north of the Cumberland County Bank, in Neoga, Illinois.
Kenneth Stewart of Effingham was their first pastor followed by Harold Neal of Watson. Neal was pastor when the mission was constituted as a church in 1957. There were 22 charter members. Later R. C. Fuson of Casey was pastor and under his ministry Neoga Baptist Church was built.
Prayer was made for a lot to build on. This writer wrote a letter to a lady in an eastern state about a lot south of what is now Carruthers I G A store. Even though no one else was ever successful in buying the lot, she graciously consented for our church for 3360. A concrete block building was built by Wayne Andrews, contractor, but was finished by the men and the pastor for 86,500.
The following is a list of pastors and supplies, with the pastors identified by years of service, starting in 1959: R. C. Fuson, two years; Joseph Clacomb, three months; Elvis Gregory, one year; Truman Johnston, two years plus; James Pool, three years; then came supplies: Mike Jackson, Joe Eaton, Sam Eaton, Charles Albin, Don Seifert, Terry Foreman, Bill Price, James Butler, Truman Johnston, James Pool, to April 1968, when James Butler pastored three months. More supplies: Brian Renshaw, Dale Mechling, Raymond Rankin. Tom Mathis, Ronald Garner, and Loren Lang. Loren Lang then pastored four years, followed by Tom Cosat, one year. David Gilley pastored one year.
Tom Cosat pastored again four months, then Herman Painter, five months, Ivan Abbott, one year, then supplies, James Bunyard, Kent Conover, Babe Moritz, James Neese, Sam Eaton, George Samandorf, Eual Eaton, Larry Eaton, and Dale Rhyne, Dale Rhyne pastored three years plus—what a dedicated and patient man, he drove all the way from Oblong. Richard Emmeric then pastored some seven months plus and it was under his pastorate, Neoga Baptist withdrew from the convention. As we allowed him to preach other revivals, supplying for him was Charles Sturgil of Charleston. Eventually, this writer, having been associate pastor under Dale Rhyne, assumed the pulpit for six months, ending up being here now the past ten years, from 1981. Through the years there have been a total of 124 baptized members, Neoga Baptist Church began a radio ministry over WLBH, Mattoon, during and through Loren Lang's pastorate, called "The Hour of Truth Broadcast." It was during this time that this writer was asked to fill in on the broadcast. Following that experience this writer started his own radio broadcast in 1971 called "The Blessed Hope Broadcast." It was a Bible science, Bible prophecy broadcast, now airing for nearly 21 years. Less than six times has this writer ever accepted anything personally for ministerial services and my radio ministry, on my part, has been entirely a gift of love. We are now seeking a young pastoral prospect to take my place as pastor of Neoga Baptist Church.
Submitted by Charles Albin, pastor

NEW HAVEN BAPTIST
The last service was held in this church in the early 1950s, the building was torn down in 1973, and the land reverted back to the Lawrence Gabel family.

NEW HAVEN BAPTIST
(Page 92 of 1968 History.)
In 1899 this church was called Walla Walla Baptist, Ross Greeson was elected superintendent of the Sunday School; Henry Roberts, assistant; Stella Greeson, secretary; and Marion Lyons, treasurer. In 1906 the name was changed to New Haven Baptist. Clerks of the church were: John Gharst, Elsie Sherrick, Ross Greeson, Mary Green, and Lillie Roberts, On Christmas night in 1907, Elsie Wade and Frank Sherrick were united in marriage in the first and only wedding ceremony ever conducted in this church.
Some of the members, besides those already mentioned were: Mary, Elizabeth, and Lizzie Lyons; Alfred and Mahala Mullen; Sarah, W. J,, Carl, and John W. Roberts; Harriet Jones; Ora Rhodes; Vernon, Ross, Evert, and Sarah Roberts; Francis and Lily Starwalt; Nora and Irma Green; Hester, Dorsa, Clara, Joe Vernie, and Merna Greeson; Everett and Hazel Darling; Herb and Lula Shull; Frank and Allie Edwards; Frank Ruth, Ivan, and Leah Reynolds; Arthur and Norma Heddins; and A. R, Loving,

MACEDONIA BAPTIST
This property was deeded to the church by Israel and Effie Yanaway August 13, 1874. The congregation meets regularly with Reverend Gene Southard as minister.

MACEDONIA BAPTIST CHURCH
Macedonia Baptist Church, located four miles northwest of Casey, Illinois, in Union Township, Cumberland County, Illinois was organized June 3, 1871. They met in the Yanaway School until their first building was constructed in the 1870's. The present building was built in 1910. In 1947 a basement was built under the auditorium . Then in 195 1 a full basement was completed. They entered the Westfield Baptist Association in 1871. Pastors who have served are: T. J. Thorton, A. Hill, A. Jones E. Stanberry, L. W. Lanman, J, M. Wood, James Turnicliff, Robertson, W, L. Jones, J. T. Combs, M. V. Gilbert, Gaylord Green, Ray Green, and Loren Lang,

NEW HOPE
(To update history found on pages 115 and 116 of the 1968 History Book.)
Services continued in this building until Thursday, October 12, 1978, when a severe hailstorm passed through the area; the building was struck by lightning and totally demolished. On that day, before leaving the scene of the fire, one resident made a donation for the purpose of rebuilding. Almost all residents of the community followed suit as did many from neighboring communities and churches. Donations came from eight different states.
The first service in the new building was held on Mother's Day, May 13, 1979. The building was erected under the leadership of Reverend Hugh Smith who served the church for 17 consecutive years during this period of time. The dedication service was held June 1, 1980, when glory, praise and thanksgiving was offered to God for allowing the accomplishment of the miracle. The church was dedicated debt-free.
When the Congregational Christian denomination merged with The United Church of Christ, the congregation, under |be leader-ship of Reverend J. E. Spencer, voted to abstain. Consequently, at this time, it remains independent with services held each Sunday morning and evening. Reverend Roger James serves as pastor at the present time.
The following account is from a newspaper article:
Church Destroyed By Fire
"The New Hope Congregational Christian Church southwest of Greenup was completely destroyed by fire Thursday. October 12th, around noon. "Kenneth Walden, an area farmer, who farms and resides near the destroyed church was in the area checking damages which were sustained by an earlier hail storm and so happened to turn around in the church yard. He reported that no evidence of a fire was visible at that time. "A short time later, the rural mail carrier, Floyd "Podger" Carlen discovered the church completely enveloped in flames as he passed by. "It is thought the fire may have been started from an electrical short or possible lightning bolt during the violent storm which passed through the area some 30 to 40 minutes earlier. "The church was organized as the New Hope Christian Church February 12th. 190-1, and met at various homes for worship until the church was constructed between that time of September 19th, 1904, and July 30th, 1905, when the dedication services were held. Rev. H. D. Catte of Willow Hill was the pastor at the time. Rev. Hugh Smith of Casey is presently serving the church. "The Greenup Fire Department was called, but by the time they arrived on the scene the church was completely enveloped in flames."

PLEASANT GROVE
(Methodist)

Located on Route 40, this church stands five miles cast of Greenup. In 1883, Mr. Martin Ruffner gave the ground on which the church was built. It was dedicated September 23, 1883, and was named by Jesse Bond. Jake Tutewiler hauled the large stones for foundation from his farm three miles east of Greenup. He was the grandfather of the auctioneer, Jake Tutewiler. A revival was held at the Section House at Vevay Park where
18 were converted. All joined the Pleasant Grove Church in 1897.

The church grew to a good number, but by 1953, the number had grown small enough that they closed the doors. Family names who made Pleasant Grove were Coffel, Tutewiler, Waldrip, Daughertee, Johnson, Mercer, Shuey. Watts, Sweet, Delp, Ruffner, Hendrickson, Scymore, Durham, Lacey, Fox, Bond, Johns, and Devall.
In 1968, the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren conference merged and the name became United Methodist. This same year Pleasant Valley Church needed a building because Interstate 70 was taking theirs. Conference sold the building to Pleasant Valley and services have been held in it since that time.

PLEASANT VALLEY
(United Methodist)
(To update history found in 1968 Cumberland County History Book, pages 116119.)
When the state brought Interstate 70 through the location of the church in 1968. the congregation moved to the former Pleasant Grove building. It is located east of Greenup along Route 40 at the Oak Grove corner. At this time the Evangelical United Brethren and Methodist churches merged, changing the name to United Methodist. The congregation celebrated its 100th year in 1981 with some former older residents in attendance. It remains active today with services held regularly; Jim Hunter is the minister.

LONGPOINT
(Evangelical United Brethren)
(To update history found on pages 108 and 109 of 1968 Cumberland County History Book.)
In 1946, the name was changed to Evangelical United Brethren. This church remained active until during the 1960s. Due to lack of interest, it was closed April 1967. The building was Torn down and a lone memorial was placed on the site near the cemetery. This is not to be confused with Long Point in Neoga Township.

PLUM GROVE CHURCH
Plum Grove Church of Disciples of Christ met and organized Sunday, March 1,1868. by election of officers. The following were elected: Wm. Cutright and Bartus Boots as elders, Wm. Elder and Isaac Starwall as deacons. The church was to be known as Christian Church of God in Christ at Plum Grove in Cumberland County. In 1875, the members of the church met to elect another elder and deacon. After this business was conducted. Brother Rubin Coy preached. Others who preached at this church around this period of time were Brother Bartholomew White, Brother Benjamin Davee. These services were held at Lost Creek Schoolhouse. August 12, 1882, deacons and elders were elected. More members had joined and Brother James Tipsword. Brother Coy and Brother Davee preached at this time. William Coleman was elected clerk and the well-known names of Carr, Cutright, Price, Carrell. Hodge, Bemont, Speakman, Pearcy, Battye, Jones, Kemper, Cook, Enyart, Decker, Robey, Coleman and others appeared on the church roll.
On May 13, 1899, the members met and elected John Enyart, Peter Kemper and P. 0. Battey as elders; Wm. Cook and Bart Battey as deacons: Joshua Cutright as clerk and Dennis Bemont as treasurer. Preaching on that night was by Brother James Cathers.
This is the last of the record on Plum Grove Church until 1935. but it has been learned that the church was still active in 1907. Later, the church was used for a hay barn and basketball was played there. The seats and bell were given to the Church of Christ at Union Center in 1931 or 1932. When the Plum Grove Church reopened, these were returned to the church. In 1935. two women from Terre Haute held a meeting here with large crowds. They returned in 1936. In 1941, Brother Dock Evans held a two-week revival after he was invited to come by Daisy Kemper. Wes Kemper. Lida Carver, and Jack Volk. After revival, Sunday School was organized with the  following officers: Beulah Stewart, secretary and treasurer. Fay Kemper, class leaden Daisey Kemper and Fay Kemper, deaconesses; Jack Volk and M. Kemper, deacons. It is recorded that on February 21, 1943. Mr. Martin preached.
Since the Plum Grove Church reopened in 1935, it is nondenominational. There have been many changes and improvements since that time. More ground was given, the church has been completely remodeled, classrooms built, a ramp for wheel chairs was added, a new furnace was installed, central air was added, and a friendship building was constructed in 1984. The church's 100-year anniversary was celebrated on October 13, 1991. Sunday School attendance on that day was 135 and there are a large number of members on roll.
The ministers since 1935 are Mrs. Dunkin and Peggy. Brother Doc. Evans, Brother Zeke Haley, Mr. Martin, Brother Fred Tate, Brother Cleo Tipsword, Brother York, Brother Bob Sallee, Brother Marvin Oakley, Brother Eddie Holt, Brother Roy Lineberry, Reverend Al Smith. Brother Marvin Oakley is the preacher at this time.
Submitted by Mrs. John E. (Cecil) Kemper


SACRED HEART CHURCH OF LILLYVILLE
Around 1875, John Will Sr. donated ten acres of land for church and school purposes. He had bought the land from Clem Uptmor II and a small log schoolhouse was already on the land. Also around this time, several families banded together and petitioned the bishop for a church. This land was located approximately nine miles northeast of Effingham.
In the spring of 1877, when the number of Catholic families had increased to 27, Bishop Baltes authorized V. Rev. P. Mauritius Klosterman, Commissary of the Franciscans of Teutopolis, to organize these families into a special mission and to arrange for the building of a church at Lillyville.
The selection of the popular, though unofficial name of the community, "Lillyville," is attributed to Clem Uptmor II of Teutopolis, a former teacher of the Lillyville School (October 1865-1866). It is thought to have meant "Little Village."
John Will Sr.. Frank H. Schumacher Sr., Henry Helmink Sr., Bernard Bucscher, and Henry Jansen were appointed as the building committee of the first church. The church was dedicated November 1, 1877, by Reverend P. Mauritius Klosterman O.F.M. and placed under the patronage of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Thereon, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was offered up for the first time at Lillyville.
The first step in building the new church in December 1889, was to select a building committee which consisted of Frank H. Schumacher Sr., Henry Jansen, Lawrence Will, Henry Wente, Henry Schumacher Sr., Fred F. Dasenbrock, and under the direction of the pastor.
Upon completion, only $1,945.00 unpaid indebtedness remained of the estimated cost of $16,000.00. On September 18, 1892, Rt. Rev. Bishop James Ryan, D.D. of the Alton Diocese dedicated the new church to the Divine Mercies of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in the presence of some 1,500 people from far and near. In 1918, additional grounds were added to the parish cemetery and consecrated on April 21, 1918, by Father Fister. In the fall of 1925, a steam-heating system was installed in the church. In 1930, the old church was remodeled into a practical parish and community hall. In 1931, before electric power lines went through the community, the church was revised and equipped with electric
lights to be powered by a 32-volt "Fairbanks" Morse electric generator which cost $840.83. The late '30s and early '40s finally brought electricity to the rural farm areas and Father Mazir spent many long hours promoting the cause and getting farmers to sign up."
For The official observance of the centennial of the Lillyville Church in 1977, a successful three-day celebration was held in September. Sunday, September 16, 1977, was the official public celebration starting with a private breakfast for the parish  followed by a drawing for the centennial quilt with the Adolph Schumacher family as the winner. The quill was originated by Mrs. Ray (Laura) Deters and Mrs. Isabel Helmink. It contained the name of each family in the parish. The day continued with music and entertainment for visitors' enjoyment. Now 15 years later, Lillyville continues active and thriving, serving the spiritual needs of approximately
70 parish families. The parish is under the pastorate of Father Emil Helfrich.


SOLID ROCK ASSEMBLY OF NEOGA
This church started with a group of people with a common desire to obey Cod and serve Him. The group had services in the American Legion, Jennings Park, and the pastor's home. Then the Lord provided a building on Route 45 in the former 3B's Hardware Store. Classes for children were held in a couple's home right behind the church until classrooms were built. An office for the pastor was built and a Share and Care program started for those in need.
The Boy Scouts helped out by supplying canned and dry food. Later, a small group of unchurched people approached Solid Rock and requested direction. Through prayer it was decided to start a new work in the Charleston area. In 1989, the former Farmington Faith Builders Church was acquired. It is located six miles southwest of Charleston across from the historical site of the Moore House. The Neoga Church moved to that location where regular services arc held. Jim Hughes continues to pastor the church there.

TOLEDO CHRISTIAN CHURCH
The Toledo Christian Church was organized about 1860. Leaders in this work were Josiah White and Dr. Goodwin who was a brother of Mrs. Elizabeth Myers and an uncle of Mrs. Ada Myers Norton. Mrs. Norton was a former school teacher in this county. The first services were held in the courthouse. In November 1885. the courthouse burned. Church services were then held on the third floor of the Hanker building located on
the north side of the square. Then the trustees purchased a building owned by Leon Summerlin and located on the present church lot. This was purchased in 1885 and used as a church until 1902 when the new church was built. In 1925, they purchased property in the south part of town to be used as a parsonage. In 1971, a new parsonage was built in the Massie addition. In 1948, Chester Groves was hired as the first full-time preacher and membership began to grow. An addition was made lo the church in 1949 using lumber from the old Corinth Church. The Corinth Church was located on what is known as the Carl Light farm. All assets from it were transferred to the Toledo Christian Church. Some of the furnishings are still used in the educational building. The date that the Corinth Church was built is not known, but records go back to the 1870s.

The Toledo Christian Church continues to be active at this time serving the spiritual needs of its members. Ill. also supports missionaries and ministries in both foreign and home fields.
Reverend Jim Wolford is pastor of the church at this time.

TOLEDO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
Toledo First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Washington and Meridian Streets, Toledo, Illinois, was organized October 8, 1956, with 18 charter members. Brother Preston Denton, the associational missionary, helped with the organizing.
They held services in an old store building until they were able to build a small building of their own. Brother James Pool was the first pastor. In June 1964, they were able to buy the Presbyterian Church building which is now the present First Baptist Church.

TOLEDO METHODIST CHURCH
(History on pages 122 and 123, 1968 History Book.)
The Toledo Methodist Church remains active and in good repair at this time. Reverend Joseph Wartick serves as pastor.

TOLEDO UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH
The Toledo United Brethren Church was organized in 1907 with Wm. Shull, B. R. Sparks, R. Richardson, James Shupe, and H. M. Tipsword as trustees. The building was begun in 1908 with Charles Aikins as contractor and dedicated in 1909 by Bishop Matthews. The first minister was Reverend Charles Perkins. (He is now living, but retired from the active ministry.) In 1912, under the ministry of F. E. King, an addition was built on the
east side. In 1954, membership was 60 with Reverend Frank Minton as minister. This church closed in 1968 when the E. U. B. churches merged with the Methodist and members joined the Toledo  Methodist Church. The Masonic Lodge bought the building and uses it at the present time.


UNION SEPARATE BAPTIST CHURCH
Union Separate Baptist Church was built in 1880. The owner of the land previous to the church being built is unknown. The church has an active congregation at the lime this history was obtained and the minister is Gene Sims. The following ministers have served the congregation: Alex Black, ??? Thompson, Lewis Eaton, Berry Webb, Riley Ridgeway, Leslie Coleman, R. O. Black, Scott Cooper, Murray Stone, Vern Cochran,
Maurice Reed, Ray Galbreath, Jerry Sweeney, Melvin Shaw, and Gene Sims, This church is located north of Union Center.

(Extracted from The Cumberland , Richmond and Jasper County History Book)
(Transcribed from Cumberland County Book 1843-1993)
Return To The Church Index Page

Return To The Main Index Page