Genealogy Trails

Cumberland County, Illinois
Cottonwood Church Dedicated Sunday


Nearly Eight Hundred People Attended The Dedication Of Cottonwood (M.E.) Church Sunday, And It Was One Of The Most Note Worthy Events Of The Kind Ever Held In The County

Cottonwood Church Is Surrounded By One Of The Richest Farming Counties In This Section, And The People Of That Community Surely Deserve Credit For The Manner In Which They Completed Their Task.

The Church, Complete Cost $2,800.00, Is Furnished In Oak, Has Circular Oak Pews And Pulpit Furniture To Correspond And Art Glass Windows. The Main Room Is 32 X 40 And Sunday School Room 18 X 24 With Seating Capacity Of 260. The Vestibule Is 8 X 8 Feet With A Tower 4 Feet High. It Is Made In The Most Substantial Manner Throughout And, While Not So Large As Others, It Is One Of The Best Church Buildings In The County.

The Building Committee Was Composed Of D. D. Judson, F. M. Pennington, B.N, Holsapple And Their Aim Seemed To Be To Do Everything Just Right.

The Board Of Trustees Consisted Of D.D. Judson, F.M. Pennington, B.N. Holsapple, U.R. McCandlish, Levi Holsapple, Frank Barger And John W. Tippett.

The Dedication Sermon Was Preached By Rev. S. H. Whitlock, And While The Writer Has Often Heard This Reverend Gentleman Preach, He This Day Surely Surpassed Himself And We Must Class This Sermon Among. The Best We Ever Listened To.

There Was Due On The Church At The Dedication Only $146 And They Raised, Hardly Without An Effort, $L84 At The Services.

We Wish To Congratulate The Members Of The Board And The People Of Cottonwood On The Successful Carrying Out Of This Project And Fee]. Sure They Want To Count It That Their Efforts Will Bring Them Many Returns

(Cottonwood United Methodist Church Located Five Miles Northeaet Of Toledo Cottonwood Township, Cumberland County, Illinois.)

Cottonwood Ohurch Was Started As A "Class" In 1864, And Celebrated Its Centennial November 18, 1964, The Land Was Given For The Purpose Of Building A Church By Silas Rinker And Wife, In July, 1868. The First Building Was A Plain Frame House.

Source: Greenup Press, Thursday November 13, 1902



Return To The Main Index Page