COTTONWOOD TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
The following Biographies was transcribed by Barbara Moksnes from
  The Book "Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois"
Originally Published 1884 F.A. Battey & Co.

DAVID BEALS, farmer, was born October 6, 1846, in Cumberland County, Illinois.  He enlisted August 1, 1862, in One Hundred in and Twenty-Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry.  He took part in the battle at Perryville, and received a shot that took off the first joint of the great finger of the left hand.  He continued with his command notwithstanding his wound.  He was under Gen. Buell, and consequently traversed the entire State of Kentucky.  From Perryville they went to Munfordville, thence to Glasco, thence to Castalian Springs, Tenn.  The regiment proved itself very serviceable at all these points.  At the latter place, on Christmas day, 1862, the regiment took the noted “rabbit hunt.”  The regiment would surround forty acres and then close in, sometimes encircling several hundred of the little animals.  They returned in the evening with more than 1,700 rabbits, and it was not a very good day for the rabbits either.  From there to Horse Shoe Cave, KY., thence to Murfeesboro, Tenn., where they were mounted, and then they scouted the State of Tennessee.  In June 1863, while making his horse jump a ditch, his gun discharged into his foot.  He never returned to the regiment.  For fifteen months he never touched that foot to the ground.  He now draws a pension, owing to that wound.  His discharge dates June 30, 1865.  He was married, December 14, 1865, to Mary E. Coleman, of Coles County.  These parents have nine children, viz.; Sarah C., Minnie L., Lorin E., Philyncy, Ida B., William A.., Eddie A.., Simon N., and Viola.  Sarah C. died July 13, 1870, in her fifth year; Minnie L. died December 13, 1870 in her second year.  Eddie A. died August 23, 1869 in infancy.  Mr. and Mrs. B. have both been members of the C. P. Church for more than eighteen years.  Mr. B. is a member of the I.O.O.F., and in politics he is a Republican.  He is numbered among the first class men of the county. 
For family info on the children: Simon N. or Viola, please contact Barbara Moksnes

SIMON 0. BEALS farmer and broom maker, was born January 16, 1844, in Coles (now Cumberland) County, Ill. He was born and raised in the same house. His parents are Levi and Catharine A. Beals, the former from Ohio, the latter from Kentucky. The father was minister, farmer, teacher and shoemaker. He was a regularly ordained minister of the C. P. Church, and preached in the Beals neighborhood at the following places: Goose Nest, Pleasantville, Cottonwood, Woodbury. Paradise and Dionia. He owned 200 acres of land when he died, and was a well-to-do farmer. He taught subscription schools in a number of places in different neighborhoods. He was very successful as a teacher. He was considered an expert in those days in making a good, neat fitting boot or shoe. His death occurred September 10, 1854, in the thirty-ninth year of his age His wife is still living on the same farm to which they came after their marriage, forty-seven years ago. These parents had eight children, six of whom are now living. Susan, the oldest, died a few days before the father, at the age of seventeen. Matilda J. died in 1846, at the age of four years. His widow married Rev. Samuel Landers, by whom she had two children. He has been a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and was a missionary preaching to the slaves in Kentucky. Later, he joined the C. P. Church, and preached about twenty six years. He died in 1880. He was a private in the war of 1812. His widow now draws a pension for services he rendered in that war. Simon 0., the fourth of the children, and our subject, attended school with a good degree of punctuality until his fathers death. At the age of eight years he made two pairs of shoes from scraps. They were neat and nice. One pair exactly fitted the lady who is now his wife, and the other pair a younger brother. The remuneration for the two pair of shoes was four and one half pounds of sugar, which was exactly the price asked. From his twelfth to his eighteenth year he worked at carp entering and farming. He enlisted August 6, 1862, in the One Hundred and twenty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He took part in the battle of Perryville, was charging on the Rebs when a finder of shell struck him on the head, knocking him senseless. He fell and lay, he does not know how long. When he was restored to consciousness he was confronted by a Texan Ran­ger, demanding that he “march.” This was a physical impossibility, and so thought the T. IR. The latter dismounted, threw him on his horse behind the saddle, then mounting himself, they were soon moving to the rear at full speed. After reaching the rear, for three days and nights they gave him no food. He was then at the court house at Harrodsburg, Ky.; at the end of that time they compelled him to march thirty miles, which he did before receiving any food He was then transferred to Benton Barracks Parole Camp, at Saint Louis. He was absent from the command about five months, and a home about four months of this time. He then returned to his command. The next engagement in which he took part was at Milton, Tenn. He returned home on a furlough in February, 1864, and was married February 29, to Sarah M. Bresee. She is the daughter of E. D. and F. (Hays) Bresee, of this county. Mr. Beak returned to the army soon after marriage, but was not able for field duty after May, 1863. His discharge dates March 27, 1895 During his sickness he was in Armory Square Hospital. Dr. D. W. Bliss, one of President Garfield’s physicians, was the surgeon in charge. His signature is on Mr. Beals’ discharge. Later, he returned home and engaged in farming and broom-making, in both of which occupations he has been reasonably successful. He is honored and respected as one of the responsible citizens of the county. To Mr. and Mrs. B. were born five children, viz.: Stella B., Perry, Arthur N., Leonard C., and Erva E. Perry died in infancy.. Both parents are members of the C. P. Church. The former has been an elder in the church for several years. He is a member of the Masonic Order, also of the I. 0. 0. F. In politics he is a Republican.

REUBEN BLOOMFIELD, farmer and merchant, was born July 11, A. D. 1819, in Wayne County, Ind. where his father and mother, Robert Bloomfield and Mary Lewis, were married in 1818. In the spring of 1821 they moved to Crawford County, ill., which was but sparsely settled with the whites. Living there some six years, they moved to Edgar County. They had two children Reu­ben and Mahala. It was here where Reuben got his education, attending school in the log schoolhouse. He gained a fair education and taught school in the neighborhood where he was raised some five years. Reuben was married to Eliza Jane McBride, daughter of Charles McBride, who moved with his family some year or two previous, from Mercer County, Ky., and settled on Big Creek, in Edgar County, Ill. Reuben, after he was married some three or four years, moved to Clark County, Ill. living in Marshall, the county seat of Clark, where his wife, Eliza Jane, died, October 1, 1852 By her he had six children, only one of whom is living. Martha P. and George D. lived till they grew to be men and women. Reuben, after the death of his wife, went to live with his father and mother, who were then living in Auburn, Clark Co., Ill., where he remained until the October following, when he moved to Greenup, the then county seat of Cumberland County, where he engaged in the mercantile business, and in the meantime was appointed Postmaster of said place. He then married, for his second wife, Mrs. Charlotte Beck, the widow of William Beck, late of Owen County, Ind. and daughter of Abner Goodwin, who resided and died in Mill Grove, Owen Co., Ind.. Having a brother, Dr. T. H. Goodwin, who was well and favorably known in this county, living in Greenup, Ill., she was induced, after the death of her husband to move to this county, and bought land and settled in Cottonwood Township, where Reuben and Charlotte were married, on the 11th of October, 1853. He, with his two children, Martha and George D., and her two, William and Melissa, commenced life anew, with but a small share of this worlds goods, but with a determination to succeed. They have had four children, two daughters and a son, viz.: Odessa, their first born, dying in infancy; Nevada, Sonora and Robert G., still living. Nevada is the wife of Thomas Warne, an attorney of Toledo, Ill. Sonora is the wife of Willis R. Clark, all of Cumberland County. Robert G., his youngest child and son, is now twenty-three years of age, and a young man of considerable promise. He is now attending Rush Medical College, Chicago,. with a prospect of graduating at the close of the session for 1883-84. William and Melissa Beck are still living. William is living in Washington Territory, single, and in easy circumstances. Robert Scott, and his wife Melissa, are living in this township, and are in good circumstances. Martha, his daughter, married Joseph Scott, and died shortly after she was married. George D., his only child living by his first wife, lives in Toledo, having married Martha A. Ross, of that place. Reuben lived here some three years and a half. During his residence in Greenup the county seat agitation took place, which resulted in its removal from Greenup to Prairie City. In this contest Reuben took the stand that the county seat should remain at Greenup; but after a bitter contest was beaten. Soon after he moved. to his farm in Cottonwood Township, where he worked and opened an extensive farm with his own hands. During this time he filled various offices of trust, such as Justice of the Peace and Supervisor of his township. In 1865 he was elected County Judge to fill a vacancy, and at the next election, which took place in November, 1866, was nominated for the same office by the Democratic party and was elected by something over 100 votes. At the close of this term he was re-nominated and re-elected, holding the office for four years, at the close of which he chose to retire to private life. Buying an interest in the drug store of I. & J. H. Yanaway, he engaged in the drug trade, in which business he remained for some three years, being quite successful in business. He dissolved partnership with his partner, Israel Yanaway, and bought out J. H. Morgan, who was carrying on a general mercantile business in Prairie City, now Toledo, where he remained selling goods some nine or ten years, during which time he did an extensive business. In the fall of 1874 he was nominated by the Independent party for State Senator, without any solicitation on his part, receiving a large and creditable vote. Selling out his store, he again returned to private life. But being of an energetic and industrious nature, he could not remain long idle, so the next spring he again went into business with H. Rhoads, of Toledo, engaging in the hardware trade, in which business he continued for some two years. Not liking the hardware business, he dissolved with his partner and moved back to his farm, in Cottonwood Township, where he has built an extensive store-room, and filled it with such goods as are suitable to the farm, and such as the farmer needs, where he has had a post office established called Brad­bury, of which he is Postmaster. He has built one of the neatest residences for himself that is in the county, where he expects to remain and end his days, now being past sixty-four years of age.

JAMES A. CARRELL, farmer and stock-raiser, was born November 9, 1841 (forty-two years ago this day), in Morgan County, Ind. His parents are John H. and Catherine E. (Laughlin) Carrell, the former a native of Kentucky, the latter of Indiana. The father was a farmer, a member with his wife of the Society of Friends, and in politics a Democrat. He is living at present with his son James; is in a helpless condition; his age, sixty-five. The mother is still living at the age of sixty. These parents had fifteen children, five of whom are now living. James A. made his fathers house his home until he was twenty-one. The following five years he spent in traveling; was in Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Arkansas, etc. He was married in September, 1866, to Sarah A. Heddins, of this county. At this time he owned no land, but farmed near where he now lives. He bought a small farm of twenty acres in 1869, and has been adding since, until he now owns 100 acres of good land. He has been quite successful, all things considered, in his business relations. In 1874 he was elected Collector of this township. He served as Commissioner of Highways the three years following. He is at present Supervisor of his township. All the above offices he filled to the satisfaction of his constituency. He is classed among the responsible, well-to-do farmers of the county. By his first wife he had five children  Thomas C., Luther F., Eleazer 0., Parmelia J. and Edwin I. Thomas C. died at the age of nine months, in 1868. Eleazer died in 1875, at the age of four years. Mrs. C. died July 29, 1876, at the age of thirty-four years. Mr. C. married, for his second wife, Hepsy J. Starbuck, of this county. Their children are Letha, who died in infancy; Ross and Horra M. Mr. C. is a member of the K. of H., and in politics a Democrat.

WILLIAM A. DOYAL, retired farmer, was born June 13,. 1824, in Crawford County, Ill. His parents are Hugh and Rachel (Eaton) Doyal, the father a native of Kentucky, the mother of South Carolina. The father was a farmer and plasterer, having done the first plastering that was done in Charleston, Coles County, Ill.; also cut the first timber that was cut off the site where that town now stands. He died about the year 1852. The mother is still living at the advanced age of eighty years. These parents had eighteen children, only seven of whom are now living. Our subject came with his parents from Crawford County to Clark County, where they remained but a short time, and then came to Coles County. The county was very new then, as this was in 1828. The nearest neighbor’ was three miles, and the next nearest three and one-half miles away. At that time, our subject states, they had no house. They lived in the woods until a cabin was built. The Indians had wigwams within a mile of their cabin. They made frequent visits to Mr. Doyal’s cabin, but would leave their weapons on the outside. Our subject’s maternal grandfather was killed by the Indian & in Crawford County, Ill. After a few years, the father bought an old blind mare, and with her they planted and attended a crop. From her they raised a colt, and then another. The first team he owned came from those colts. In this fast age that would seem a very slow way, but it is a very sure way, as our subject can testify They made a sled, put on a box, and our subject rode that old mare, she pulling the sled, the box filled with eggs, poultry, butter, and such other commodities as they had to spare, to the nearest market.. In this way the family was supported. The mill was so far away that it took three days to go and return with the grist. In winter,. many times they would boil the corn and grate it through a grater, improvised by their own hands with tin and an awl punch. It was many years before they had a mill within a few miles. From this mode of procedure, we can learn of the hardships and deprivations endured by the pioneers in the western wilds of the great State of Ill. is. Mr. Doyal bought 120 acres, where he now lives, in the fall of 1852. He went to California via the overland route, in 1850. The trip lasted from the 18th of March to the 27th of August. There were 103 men started on that trip from Saint Joseph, Mo. Several died on the way. Mr. D. teamed for several months, and then went to mining, with tolerable success; made enough to buy the above farm on his return. He returned in the fall of 1851, by water. They encountered a storm, which was the most impressive sight he ever saw. Some were praying, some drinking, others playing cards and making light of what, to many, was a very serious matter. They tore out the inside of the vessel to make steam, that they might land at Savannah. He “batched” for one year, and raised his first crop. He was married February 20, 1853, to Rebecca McCord, of Coles County. Ezra L., Cordelia, Richard E., an infant, Rachel E., and James H. are their children. Ezra L. married Sallie Clem,. of this county; Cordelia was the wife of R. R. Wood, of Moultrie County. Their children are: William C., and an infant, unnamed her death occurred at the age of twenty-four. Rachel was the wife of George W. Light, of this county. Her death occurred April 7,. 1883, in her twenty-fourth year. James H. died at the age of fifteen,. September 7, 1881. Mrs. (McCord) Doyal died August 25, 1874, at the age of about forty-five years. Mr. Doyal was next married on June 23, 1875, to Jane McCord, of this county. He has been quite successful in business. He is nicely located, in Section 28; has a pleasant happy home, and owns 256 acres of well improved land. He is numbered among the responsible, honest pioneer settlers of this county. He is a member of the Seventh Advent Church, as is also his wife. In politics, he is a Republican
.
ALONZO GRAFTON, farmer and teacher, was born October 5,. 1839, in Champaign County, Ohio. His parents are Thomas and Mary (Weaver) Grafton, both natives of Ohio. The father is a, farmer and carpenter, and is still living, near Olney, Ill. The mother died May 2, 1877, at the age of fifty-two. Both parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They had seven children,. three of whom are now living. Our subject had good school advantages. Going to school, farming and working at the carpenters trade were his youthful employment's. He was married February 14, 1861, to Sallie Heath, of Logan county, Ohio. She is the daughter of Henry and Corinda Heath, now of Charleston, Coles County, Ill. He enlisted August 8, 1862, in the Forty-Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. They were for about one year mounted infantry. Mr. G. was on detached duty for about eight months after enlisting. He took part in many battles, first in the siege of Knoxville, at Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, and all the engagements of the Atlanta campaign. He never missed any; then came with Thomas to Franklin, which was as hard a fought battle as he ever was in; thence in a two days battle at Nashville, which drove Hood across the Tennessee River; went into winter quarters at Huntsville, thence through East Tennessee, where they were when the war closed. His discharge dates June, 1865. He served three years lacking two months. lie never had any sickness, never had a wound worth mentioning. He went in as private, served two years as orderly, and returned Second Lieutenant. He was with the command all the time except while on detached duty; never was a prisoner; never had a furlough; in short, he was remarkably fortunate. On returning, in 1865, he came to where he now lives, in Section 32, and has been here ever since. He has been engaged in teaching every winter since, save one. Has taught seven terms in his home district. No one in the county, perhaps, has a better record as teacher. He does a good share of other business, such as farming, teaching music, carpenter­ing, etc. To Mr. and Mrs. G. were born six children: Carrie B., Mary C., James T., John K., Musa M., and Harry B. James T. died April 3, 1867, at the age of nine months. Carrie B. is the wife of William Judson, of this county, married December 22, 1881 Mrs. 0. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, Mr. G. is Republican.

JOHN HEDDINS, farmer, was born April 11, 1821, in Delaware County, Ohio.  His parents are Isaiah and Siloma Heddins.  The father was a farmer, a volunteer in the war of 1812, and the son of a Revolutionary soldier.  Isaiah died about the year 1865.  He and wife were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  The mother was born and raised in the edge of New York State, married in Ohio, and is now living at the age of eighty, in Coles County, Ill.  These parents had eleven boys and two girls, four of whom are yet living.  John, our subject, was raised on the farm.  He had fair schooling for those days.  He worked for his father until he was twenty-one, being the oldest in the family; obedient and industrious, he was very serviceable to his father, who was an invalid.  He was married April 18, 1842, to Catherine Carpenter, of Delaware County, Ohio.  He stayed in Delaware County, and rented for two years, when he bought a good team and wagon, and started for the West.  He landed in Cumberland County, Ill., September 29, 1844, and has been here ever since.  On arriving, $45, one team and wagon, wife and baby, were all his earthly possessions.  The team and wagon, valued at $130, he traded for eighty acres of land.  He has been adding to that until he now owns 250 acres.  He has been very successful in business, and is counted as among the best farmers in the county.  He is a pioneer resident, and few persons in the county are deserving of more respect than he is.  Terre Haute, in those days, was the place of market.  In 1845, Mr. H. took 5 dozen of nice young chickens to market.  The first dozen he sold for seventy-five cents.  He worked all day selling the other four dozen, dribbling the last twenty four out at the rate of thirty seven and one half cents per dozen.  On coming home, he told his wife he was disgusted either the chicken peddling business.  He has never been there with a chicken since.  His children are: Sarah A., Isaiah, Mary J., and Emeline.  The rest died under three years of age.  Sarah A. was the wife of James Carrell, elsewhere mentioned.  Isaiah married Mary A. Fletcher, of this county, December 24, 1876.  Their children are: Charles M. and George E.  Isaiah, the father, is the only one of his father's children living.  He lives with his father on the home place, section 11, Township 10, Range 9.  Mary J. was the wife of Paris G. Carrell, of this county.  Her death occurred March 17, 1878, ages twenty-nine year.  Her children are: Ida C. and John W.  Emeline died at the age of eight years.  Thus, we see that of a large family, the father and son are all that are left.  Mrs. Heddins, the mother, died November 1, 1878, ages fifty-four years.  In politics, Mr. H. is a Democrat.

WILLIAM E. LAKE, farmer and teacher, was born in Bennington County, Vt., September 27, 1834.  His parents are Elisha and Prudence [Holmes] Lake, the father a native of R.I., the mother of Conn.  His father was a farmer and teacher, having taught twenty-one years.  He died in May 1857, aged fifty-three.  He was a member of the legislature of his State for two terms, and took an active part in the affairs of the State.  In politics, he was a Democrat.  The mother is still living, in Lake County, this State, at the advanced age of seventy-seven.  She is a member of the Baptist Church.  William E. had good school advantages.  He landed, with his parents, at Waukegan, Ill., the day he was twelve years of age.  He attended school and worked on the farm with his father until he was twelve years of age.  He then entered and attended an academy at Wauconda, Ill.  He remained in Lake County until 1857, when he packed his trunk and came to this county, in search of a school.  His first school was taught near the town of Neoga.  He attended school the summer of 1858, and taught again in the winter of 1858-59.  He was married June 30, 1860, to Henrietta Kemper, of this county.  Teaching was his occupation the following three years.  In 1863, he was elected County Superintendent of Schools in Cumberland County, on the Democratic ticket.  He was re-elected in 1865, and again in 1869, his term expiring in 1873, making ten years of continued service as County Superintendent.  His majority at each election was very large, one township, Cottonwood, casting its’ entire vote for him, irrespective of party, at the first election.  In this township he had formerly served as Clerk and was well known to all who favored him with their votes.  He continued teaching and farming until 1881, when he was appointed by the Board of Supervisors to fill the vacancy [caused by a change in the State Constitution] of County Superintendent of Schools.  This term expired December 1, 1882.  It will be seen that he has filled the office of County Superintendent for eleven years, and has much to do with shaping the educational affairs of his county, which speaks well for the appreciation in which he was held by his constituency.  He owns eighty acres of land, well improved, and, as a farmer, is classed among the respectable and responsible.  To Mr. and Mrs. Lake have been born eight children, viz; George M., Ida A., Charles H., Lula, Albert, Warren, Hattie, and William M.  Warren died at the age of eight months.  Ida A. is engaged in teaching her third term, and gives good satisfaction.  The rest of the children are living with their parents.  Both parents are members of the Universalist Church.  Mr. L. is a member of the Masonic Order, being one of the charter members of Prairie Lodge No. 578.  In politics, he is a Democrat.  Mr. L. is still engaged in teaching.  He is now teaching in the same district where he taught twenty-three years ago.  He has a very pleasant school, and in all his experience as a teacher he never applied for a school, since his first school in 1857.

WILLIAM R. McCANDLISH, farmer and tile manufacturer, was born April 8, 1847, in Perry County, Ohio.  His parents are William B. and Rebecca [Ross] McCandlish, both natives of Ohio.  The father was a farmer and cabinet maker of the county.  His death occurred in 1849.  He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church.  In politics, he was a Democrat.  The mother died in 1875, at the age of fifty-five.  These parents had five children, viz; James A., Jane, Nancy, George and William.  They are all living.  James A. was the first Republican Sheriff ever elected to this county.  He served three terms.  William R. was engaged in his youthful days attending school in the winter and working the farm in the summer.  He came West in 1866.  He followed shipping poultry at first.  Later, shipping stock East engaged his attention.  He began farming twelve years ago, and it has been attended with very fair success.  He now owns 130 acres, 120 of which is improved land.  He is classed among the responsible, well to do farmers of the county.  April 1883, he engaged in the tile business, he now owns one of the three tile factories in the county.  He has a lot of good, first class tile ready for sale.  His business outlook is very flattering.  He was married April 8, 1873, to Emma Holsapple, of this county, a native of Indiana.  Their children are: Le Roy, Minnie B., Owen R., Luke A., and Edna C.  Lr Roy died December 1, 1876, aged two years.  Mrs. McCandlish is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. McCandlish is a member of the Masonic Order, and politically a Republican. 

BAXTER W. McPHERSON, was born in Allegheny County, Penn., June 21, 1851.  His parents are Wright and Catherine McPherson, the former a native of Penn., the latter of Delaware.  These parents had eight children, all of whom are now living and married.  They celebrated their Golden wedding, October 28, 1883.  These parents are now living in Neoga Township, this county, and are having as good health as can be expected in those of their age.  The father is a farmer.  His sons Isaac and George served in the late war.  The mother is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Baxter W. came with his parents to this county in 1865, and helped his father improve a farm of 156 acres.  He met with an accident at the age of eighteen, by which he lost his leg.  He was cutting corn in Montgomery County, and cut his knee with a corn knife.  It began bleeding about eight hours after, and great pain was caused therefrom.  He came on the train the next day with his brother in law, J.F. Smith, to Mattoon, and remained there a week under care of Dr. Morris.  He then came home and was suffering horribly.  He was attended then by Dr. Richardson and brother; later, Drs. Mason and Byers were called in/  Twenty days after the accident, November 10, 1869, his right leg was amputated six inches below the body.  They began at 6:00 in the evening to give him chloroform, and it was near 11:00 the next day before the work was completed.  He was so reduced in flesh, and so weak, they had to use the greatest care.  He began going about, the middle of the following January.  He sat up in bed on New Years Day, at the infair of his brother Isaac.  In the spring, he bought a team, hired a hand, and farmed 30 acres of corn and 20 of oats.  He has farmed several seasons since that, by himself, using the sulky plow.  He was very successful in farming.  He attended school, and later the Normal School, and has taught every winter for three summers, from 1871 to 1881.  He attended the Normal School and academy several terms during that time.  He had good success as a teacher, as hundreds who are his pupils and patrons can testify.  His services as teacher are in good demand even yet.  He has been engaged in the insurance business the past five years, and has very good success at that also.  Mr. McPherson, notwithstanding his crippled condition, is a man of wonderful activity, and has the eternal grit and gimp to make a success of any business he undertakes.  He is reckoned among the good, responsible, and well to do citizens of this county.  He represents the following first class insurance companies, viz: the Phoenix, The Brooklyn, The Rockford of Rockford, The American, The Chicago, The Boston Underwriter's, and the Fire Association of London.  He does a good business, and is worthy of the patronage of his community, being in every way responsible.  He was married February 20, 1876, to Annette Jones, of this county.  Two children, Clara and Mercy, have blessed this union.  Clara died October 1, 1882, aged six years.  She was a most promising child, being able to read intelligently in the advance readers.  Both parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. McPherson is a member of the I.O.O.F., and in politics a Democrat.
DAVID MICHAEL, farmer, was born January 18, 1818, in Davie County, N.C.  His parents are David and Eva B. [shut] Michael, both natives of North Carolina, and of German descent.  The father was a farmer and died in 1862, at the age of seventy-two.  He was a Private in the war of 1812.  Both parents were members of the Baptist Church.  The mother died in 1866, at the age of seventy-six.  They came from N.C. to Tennessee; there they remained several years, thence to Indiana, later to Illinois, where they arrived nearly sixty years ago.  They landed in Coles County, and later moved to Cumberland County.  They were among the early settlers of Coles County.  In politics, he was a Whig, later a Republican who favored a vigorous prosecution of the war.  They had eleven children, only seven of whom are now living.  David, the fifth of these children, came with his parents to Illinois at the age of ten years.  Schools were of the subscription kind in those days, and his father being a poor man, it was easy to see that his school advantages were what could be called very poor these days of free schools.  On arriving, his father had one dollar in money, one cart, one yoke of small cattle, and bed clothing as much as could be carried under a man’s arm.  His father on arriving, worked for one half bushel of corn a day, and his son received a peck.  David has cradled grain all day for thirty- seven and a half cents, and at other times has bound after a cradle an entire day for the same amount.  The father bought forty acres of land and paid for it largely in making rails at twenty cents per hundred.  He entered forty acres in Cumberland after selling his forty acres in Coles County.  David, our subject, was married in 1842, to Lucy Alexander, of Kentucky.  They had twenty children, only six of whom are now living, viz; David A., Barbara E., Charles W., Martha J., Isaac A., and Mary L.  The mother died November 9, 1876, at the age of fifty.  She was a member of the Baptist Church.  Mr. M.’s second marriage was to Mary Oakley, of Kentucky.  She had five children by a former husband, Pleasant Oakley.  She died April 27, 1879.  His third marriage occurred December 27, 1879, to Jane Hays, of this county, but a native of Ohio.  She had two children by a former husband, William Hays.  James M. and Catherine F. are their names.  Mr. M. has been reasonably successful in business, having raised a large family, and now owning 320 acres of land, the most of which is well improved.   He is classed among the wealthy, substantial and responsible farmers of the county.  Politically he is a Republican.

FRANCIS MILLER, farmer, was born December 12, 1827, in Greene County, Ind.  His parents are Wyatt and Mary [Bland] Miller, the father a native of Kentucky, the mother of North Carolina.  The father died in 1876, aged about sixty.  He was a farmer, a member of the Baptist Church, and politically a Whig, later a Republican.  The mother died in 1846, aged forty-six.  They had seven children, six now living.  Our subject attended school some in a log cabin of other days, by going several miles.  He was married in 1851 to Nancy Mock, of Greene County, Ind.  Her parents are David and Elizabeth Mock, natives of North Carolina.  David’s father was a Captain in the Revolutionary war.  Mr. M. and wife remained in Indiana until 1853, when they came to the farm on which they now live in section 9, Township 10, Range 8.  He bought eighty acres on coming, and has been adding until he now owns 260 acres, all of which is improved land except what is in timber.  He has been very successful in business; has a nice home and surroundings, which indicate taste, prosperity and happiness.  He is classed among the best farmers in the county.  To Mr. and Mrs. Miller are born five children, viz; William D., John L., Calvin C., Cedorah and Owen C.  William D. died in 1857, aged about six years.  John L. died in 1881 aged twenty- five years.  He was married January 1878, to Cassandra Gillman, of this county.  He left 2 children, Ada and Lewis.  Calvin C. died about the year 1859, aged two years.  Mrs. M. is a member of the Baptist, and Mr. M. of the Universalist Church.  He is a member of the Masonic order, also of the Republican Party.

DAVID F. RANDOLPH, farmer, was born January 30, 1830, in Shelby county, Ind.  His parents are Samuel and Nancy [Hill] Randolph, both natives of Virginia.  The father was a farmer, doctor and minister.  Both parents were members of the Baptist church.  In medicine, he was a regular practitioner of the Botanic School.  He died in 1865, at the age of seventy years.  In politics, he was a Democrat.  The mother died in 1852, at the age of about fifty-seven.  These parents had twelve children, only four of whom are living.  David F., our subject, had moderately good school advantages.  He averaged about a month of school during the winter, and worked on the farm during the summer.  At the age of twenty-two he went with his parents from Shelby to Owen County, Ind., and settled on a farm.  He worked for his father until his marriage, which occurred September 22, 1853, to Miss Martha A. Vaughn, of Owen County, Ind.  These parents have had eleven children, viz; Isabel, Rebecca A., Mary A., John, Thomas, Samuel, Uriah, Elizabeth M., Nancy, Louisa and Lucinda.  Samuel died June 25, 1870, at the age of seven.  Mary A. died in April 1878, at the age of twenty-two.  She was the wife of John Pritchett of this county.  Her child’s name is Martha A.  Isabel is the wife of Abraham Icenogle, of this county.  Their children are Joseph D., John C., James T., and William W.  Rebecca A. is the wife of John Sparks.  Martha J., their child, died in infancy.  Mr. R. came to this county in 1856, and settled on the farm where he now resides.  When he came, he brought $1,000, which was largely invested in land.  He now owns more than 300 acres, after having given more than 100 to his children.  It will be seen that Mr. R. has raised a large family, and has been very successful in business.  He is beautifully situated in a large brick house, tow miles southwest from Johnstown.  His surroundings indicate prosperity and a comfortable happy home.  In politics, Mr. R. is a Greenbacker.

SAMUEL P. REED, farmer, was born March 18, 1824, in Fayette County, Ind.  His parents are Samuel and Hannah [Long] Reed, both natives of Virginia.  His father died August 11, 1872, at the age of about seventy-eight.  His mother died in 1855.  She was a member of the Baptist Church.  These parents had nine children, four of whom are now living.  Samuel P., our subject, was raised on the farm, had poor school advantages, came with his parents to Illinois in 1836, and has been living on the farm where he now resides ever since; is consequently one of the old, respected and responsible early settlers of the county.  Few men are better known for honesty and fair dealing than is Mr. Reed.  He has been very successful in business, now owning nearly 800 acres of land.  He was married October 30, 1853, to Emily Gill, of this State.  Their children are James M., Elsewhere mentioned, Commodore P., Thomas J., Ada D., William F., Varina D., Rosa C., Sterling P., Minnie Z., and Rono R.  Rosa C. died in 1879, ages eleven years.  Minnie Z. died in 1878, aged three months.  The other members of the family live with their parents on the home farm.

JAMES M. REED, farmer, was born April 6, 1855, in Cumberland County, Ill.  His parents were Samuel P. and Emily Reed, elsewhere mentioned.  His minor years were spent at home on his father's farm.  He attended school in the winter and worked on the farm in the summer, and later attended Stockton Academy, in Coles County.  He thus procured an education, which fitted him for teaching.  He attended school under the instruction of Supt. W.E. Lake, elsewhere mentioned.  Owing to an immense amount of work at home he never taught.  He was very handy with carpenter tools, and makes a good hand at rough carpentering.  He began work for himself on arriving at his majority.  His residence is a nice one, which he put up himself, in the suburbs of Janesville.  He has been engaged at spare times during the past five years in studying veterinary surgery, and has attained a fair proficiency in that science, and has calls quite frequently which bring his acquired knowledge and skill into useful and profitable practice.  He has the nucleus of a fine library, treating largely on the diseases and handling of stock, and other important topics.  He farms extensively, and at present has some 40 acres of wheat, which bids fair to give a plentiful yield.  He has been elected one of the three directors in district No. 6, the public school of which is located in Janesville, and the new building, in the process of erection speaks well for the good taste, intelligence and public spirit of the Board, the people of Janesville and all concerned.  Mr. R. was elected Commissioner of Highways more than three years ago.  He is one of six who is negotiating for a bridge across the Embarrass River, between Cottonwood and Union Townships.  This enterprise will be a great convenience to both townships.  In the latter as in the former enterprise he is acknowledged to be the right man in the right place.  No man of his years in either township, perhaps, has a better record for filling his positions of trust and responsibility than has Mr. R.  He was married in March 1880, to Rosa L. Johnston, of this county.  Her father was from Scotland, and died about the year 1860.  Her mother is still living in Effingham, the wife of Lorenzo Gloyd.  To Mr. and Mrs. R. has been born one child, Harry Earl.  The mother is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  The father, like his grandfather, belongs to the “do rights”.  In politics, he is a Democrat.

CARSON P. R. RODGERS, merchant, farmer and postmaster, was born November 1, 1840, in Coles County, Ill.  His parents are Isaac and Susannah [porter] Rodgers, the former a native of Tennessee the latter of North Carolina.  Both parents were members of the C. P. Church.  The father was a farmer.  He died in 1870, at the age of sixty.  In politics, he was an Abolitionist, belonging to that party when it only numbered three or four in the county.  He was a Republican, after the organization of that party.  The mother died in 1846, at the age of thirty- three.  These parents had four children.  Carson and Anna E. [now the wife of J.W. Carr, of Neoga Township], are the only children living.  Carson had such school advantages as were to be found in the public schools of the county districts.  Farming has been his occupation almost all his life.  He taught four schools with fair success and satisfaction to his employers.  He was married October 30, 1866, to Catherine W. Richie, of Coles County, Ill., though a native of Kentucky.  Her father was Alexander Richie, a merchant of Charleston, Ill., well and favorably known in that community.  To Mr. and Mrs. Rodgers were born two children, Henry M. and Violet, both of whom died in infancy.  The mother died April 14, 1869.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church.  Mr. Rodgers was next married to Martha J. Veatch, of Cumberland County, Ill.  Their marriage occurred March 8, 1874.  Their children are Isaac W., Kate W., Florence L., who was the first child born in the town of Janesville, Ill.  Her birth date is February 22, 1880.  Her death occurred April 18, 1882.  Mr. R. began for himself in 1866, when he was first married.  Until his marriage he had worked in the interests of his father.  He continued in the farming business as a specialty until 1877, when he began merchandising in a general store in Farmington, Ill.  The stock was removed to Janesville in 1879, the firm C.P. Rodgers & Co., and W.M. and R.H. Osborn made partners.  Later the firm name was changed to W.M. & C.P. Rodgers, the latter being Postmaster of Janesville as well.  This was the first store in town.  They now carry the largest stock of dry goods and groceries, perhaps, of any firm in this part of the two counties.  The indications are they are doing a safe increasing business, which is gained largely by strict attention to business and fair dealings.  Mr. R. is numbered among the responsible, well to do citizens of the county.  He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics, a Republican.  His wife, Mrs. M.J. Rodgers, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. 

WALLACE M. RODGERS, merchant, Janesville, Ill., was born March 1, 1847, in Coles County, Ill.  His parents are John W. and Lovisa [Balch] Rodgers.  His father was a native of Kentucky, was good, honest, well to do farmer; in politics a Whig, later a Republican.  His death occurred May 8, 1864, aged sixty-six years.  The mother died December 15, 1879, aged seventy-two.  Both parents were members of the C.P. Church.  They had nine children, five of whom are now living.  Wallace M. worked on the farm, clerked and taught school until he was about the age of twenty-five.  As a teacher he was quite successful, having an increase of wages every new term, which may be considered substantial evidence of good success.  He clerked with several different parties, and entered as partner with the last- R. H. Osborn, of Campbell, Ill.  The store was at Johnstown, Ill., Mr. O. leaving the entire business with his partner, Mr. R., which speaks well for the confidence placed in the honesty and integrity of the latter.  This partnership lasted more than ten years, the firm name being W. M. Rodgers & Co.  Mr. R. built the house and engaged in business and is classed among the responsible and respected citizens of the county.  Mr. R. sold the first goods in this town.  He was married August 30, 1873, to Mary E. D. Bovell, born June 18, 1851; daughter of James G. and Eliza [Dryden] Bovell, of Coles County, both being natives of Tennessee.  The father of the latter was one of the first settlers in this country.  Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Rodgers; Gertrude L., Laurence B. and Edith C.  Gertrude L. died August 7, 1882, at the age of five years.  Laurence B. died August 29, 1881, at the age of fourteen months.  Edith C. is living, at the age of eight months.  Politically, Mr. R. is a Republican.

JONATHAN WILSON SHULL, physician, farmer and postmaster, Johnstown, Ill., was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, July 12, 1833.  His parents are Michael and Margaret [Wilson] Shull, both natives of Virginia.  His father formerly owned slaves, as did also the mother, and on their marriage they freed them.  One owned by the father was valued at $2,000.  Another owned by the mother was valued at $1,000.  They were opposed to slavery-would not take any money for their slaves, but gave them all their freedom.  Their marriage occurred in 1826, when they moved to Ohio.  They had ten children all of whom are now living; are married and have families.  Two of the boys served in the same command, and returned at the close of the late war.  They raised two other children, after raising their own.  They are now married and have families.  The father was a member of the I.O.O.F., and in politics a Republican of the Lovejoy type.  He is still living in this county at the advanced age of seventy-eight years.  The mother died March 1871, at the age of seventy years.  Jonathan W. had good school advantages for those days.  He came with his parents to Illinois in 1851, and settled on a farm in the south part of this county.  He worked on the farm in the summer, taught school in the winter.  He taught four winters in this county, and attended Normal School at Paris, three months.  He studied medicine under U.N. Mallett, of Effingham, one year, then under Dr. Ewart, of this county for one year, then began practice with him at Greenup in 1860.  He was married December 27, 1860, to Mary A. Cook, of this county.  He then settled in Greenup, bought property and began housekeeping.  He taught two terms of school near Greenup during the winters of 1860-61, still attending to his practice.  He enlisted in Company B, Ninety-Seventh Illinois Infantry.  July 19, 1862, went into camp ion September, when he was detailed as hospital steward, in which he served until October 19, when he was ordered to join his command in Kentucky.  He went to Memphis, thence to Chicksaw Bluff, where the regiment was engaged in a battle, and “terribly bluffed;”, thence to Arkansas Post, where the Union troops were victorious.; thence to Vicksburg, where he was detached service, in Young’s Point General Hospital.  Here he nursed a Captain of the Chicago Mercantile Battery, through a case of the small pox but did not take the disease himself.  The hospital transferred to Van Buren, seven miles up the river.  Prescribing steward was his position here.  He did good service there, as many who are now living can testify.  Chronic Diarrhea was the prevailing disease.  They were dying in that hospital six to eight a day.  The treatment formerly given was calomel, opium, camphor and quinine.  Dr. S. being opposed to that treatment changed it, using but little medicine, but attending to the diet.  The result of the change was most salutary.  In three weeks, his ward returned to duty.  From Van Buren Hospital he was transferred to Island 102, among the contrabands.  While at the Van Buren Hospital he was put in charge of the pest hospital, at Milligan’s Bend, two mile up the river, where he took the confluent small pox, was disabled about a month, but recovered and remained at the hospital until all recovered.  While among the contrabands he went to Vicksburg to draw rations for them every ten days.  Recruiting officers were there, after negroes to fill State quotas.  They offered the Dr. as high as $50 for every negro he would induce to enlist for them and bring to Vicksburg.  This he promptly refused to do.  His father’s example was scrupulously observed, not to traffic in human flesh.  The Dr. ranked as hospital steward.  He remained here about six months; thence to the contraband hospital at Young’s Point.  While there he was ordered back into the country about ten miles, to a cotton-gin, to get a cupboard and lumber to enlarge the hospital; and while there, he was attacked by a company of twenty five independent scouts, who were under command of Captain Dishroom, of Mississippi.  He would have been shot dead, as was a comrade by his side, had he not given the hailing sign of distress, which was respected-Captain D. being a Mason.  He was taken to Falmouth, La., and there incarcerated in the county jail, with the promise of exchange in a few days.  He stayed there about a week, then went to Shreveport, as a prisoner of war, where he stayed about four months; thence to Rebel Prison at Camp Ford, near Tyler, Texas.  Here the Rebs put him in charge of the Union sick soldiers.  He was treated with the upmost deference.  They gave him entire care of the sick and allowed him to go a radius of five miles in the country.  Here he remained two months, at the end of which the war closed.  He joined his command at Mobile, Ala., and at Galveston, Texas, he was mustered out.  He then returned to Greenup, being the first time home since he enlisted.  He found the pill bags in the identical spot where he had left them three years before.  Not a bottle was moved, and everything has been scrupulously cared for by his faithful wife.  He resumed practice then, in which he has been engaged ever since with good success.  He moved to Johnstown April 5, 1872.  He has a good home of twenty acres where he lives.  He has an increasing practice and is classed among the best physicians and responsible citizens of the county.  His children are Kate M., James W., Margaret A., Ulysses G., Edna M., Dora and Ethel E.  Ulysses G. died in infancy.  Kate M. is the wife of Allison Fleming, of this county, married September 18, 1881.  Carrie M. is their child.  Sr. and Mrs. S. are both members of the Universalist Church.  In politics, he is a Republican, with Greenback tendencies.

JOHN W. SNODGRASS, farmer and lumber dealer, was born December 17, 1837, in Hendricks County, Ind.  His parents are John and Minerva [Douglass] Snodgrass, both natives of Kentucky.  The father was a farmer, and a Democrat politically.  Both parents died in 1878, the former at about the age of fifty-four, the latter at about the age of fifty; she was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.  They had six children, five of whom are now living.  John w. came with his parents to Cumberland County in 1857, arriving October 17, and settling within a mile of where he now resides.  His father bought a part of the farm on which J.W. now resides, and began opening out a farm.  Mr. s. has been working for himself since he was about twenty years of age.  He was married in December 1859, to Sarah J. Fairbanks, a native of this county.  She is the daughter of Samuel and Fanny Fairbanks, natives of Ohio.  The mother is still living in the county, being seventy-four years of age.  Her father died in September 1876, at the age of seventy- one years.  To Mr. and Mrs. Snodgrass were born three children.  The oldest died in infancy; Mary Frances and Nettie Ann, the other two, are living at home.  Mr. S. had for a start $5 in money and two colts.  He now owns 114 acres of land, all of which are under fair cultivation.  He also owns a steam grist- mill, saw mill, and thresher, all of which are run by the same engine.  Mr. S. is doing a good business in his various occupations, and is numbered among the prosperous, responsible and worthy farmers of the county.  Mr. s. is a member of the Toledo Lodge No. 355, I.O.O.F.  Politically he is a Democrat.  Mr. S. is a good neighbor, as kind to the poor perhaps as any person in the county, and is regarded by all as a first class man. 

GARRISON TATE, farmer, was born January 20, 1831, in Monroe County, Ind.  His parents are John and Susannah [Carey] Tate, both natives of Tennessee.  The father helped cut the timber from the ground where Bloomington now stands.  He was a well-to-do farmer, and died September 7, 1864, in his seventy-first year, on his farm southeast of Bloomington.  The mother died February 1876, at the age of eighty-three.  She was a member of the Old School Baptist Church.  The parents had eight children, two boys, and two girls, still living.  Garrison came to Illinois March 1854, and settled on a farm in Cottonwood Township, Section 35, and has remained here ever since.  He is one of the old settlers of the county, and has been quite successful in business, now owning 247 acres of well- improved land.  He is well known and highly respected as one of the good citizens of the county.  He was married May 26, 1852, to Jennette Adams, of Monroe County, Ind., by whom he had six children, viz; John a., Mary J., Susan, David J., Joseph R. and Francis M.  Mrs. Jennette Tate died March 26, 1875.  She was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.  She was a thorough Bible student, seldom reading any other book, and always reading her Testament through three times yearly.  John A. and Susan died in infancy.  Joseph R. died September 17, 1873, in his fourteenth year.  Mary J. died October 10, 1879 , aged twenty-five years.  Mr. Tate was married a second time, September 29, 1875, to Mrs. Elizabeth McCartney, a native of Kentucky.  Her children by her former husband are Ida M., Henrietta and Alice.  To Mr. and Mrs. [McCartney] Tate are born Hattie E., Martha E., and a third, which died in infancy.  Mary J. is the wife of Perry Thompson and the mother of four children-Viola, Cora, Nora and Joseph G.  the latter died in infancy.  Nora died at two years of age.  David was married July 18, 1883, to Minnie Bishop, of this county.  This union is blessed with two children.  Mr. Tate and his wife are both members of the Missionary Baptist church.  The former has held the office of County Supervisor, and has been Assessor for several terms.  He is now serving his second term as Township Commissioner.  In politics, he is a Democrat of the Jacksonian type.

IZATUS WHITACRE, merchant, was born December 11, 1845, in Frederick County, Va.  His parents are Asbury and Emeline [McKee] Whitacre, both natives of Virginia.  The father died in December 1881, at the age of fifty-eight years.  He was a farmer and carpenter; in politics, a Democrat, taking an active part in the affairs of the county.  The mother died in March 1876, at the age of fifty years.  Both were members of the Baptist Church.  They had ten xhildren, seven of whom are now living.  Izatus came with his parents to Coles County, Ill., in 1857.  His school advantages were good for those days.  He prepared himself and taught in the public schools of Illinois for fourteen winters, with an interval of two years.  As a teacher, he was eminently successful, giving good satisfaction to parents, employers and pupils and all concerned.  Aside from teaching, he worked on the farm, and in business has been quite successful.  Since March 1883, he has been in the mercantile business in Janesville, under the name of Brashares & Whitacre.  The firm carry the heaviest stock of dry goods and groceries, perhaps, of any firm of the kind in this portion of the two counties.  The firm manages the grain business of the town, also-an enterprise which bids fair to increase in importance.  Mr. Whitacre was married April 2, 1871, to Harriet A. Phipps, of Coles County, Ill.  Six children have blessed this union, viz: Finnis A., John R., Melva O., the next a daughter unnamed who died in infancy, Duley J., and James O.  Melva O. died September 28, 1876, aged one year.  The rest are living with their parents.  Mr. and Mrs. W. are both members of the C.P. church.  Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic Order, Muddy Point, No. 396.  In politics, he is a Democrat.  Mr. and Mrs. Whitacre spent one year on a farm in Miami County, Kan.  They returned to Coles County in February 1880.

HENRY WILLIAMS, retired farmer, was born November 5, 1811, in Bedford County, Penn.  At the age of four years he went with his parents to Hardin County, Ky.  His parents are Zabin and Lucy [Needham] Williams, father a nephew to the Williams, founder of Williams College.  He was a mechanic and the father of six children, only one of whom is now living.  The mother died at LaPorte, Ind., in 1837.  Henry had no school advantages.  He worked on the farm, in the still house, in the saw and grist -mill, and at the carpenter’s trade.  At the age of seventeen he came to Harrison County, Ind.  He worked on the farm and on the canal near Louisville, and later in a brick- yard, and on the jail at Corydon, Ind., just after the removal of the capital to Indianapolis.  He then engaged in whipsawing timber for boats for some time.  He was married March 1, 1830, to Lucretia Beals, of Crawford County, Ind., but a native of Bedford County, Pennsylvania.  Her grandfather, Oliver Hays, served the entire time in the Revolutionary War, coming home only one week to get married.  In 1830, Mr. and Mrs. W. came to Cumberland County, Ind.  There were no county borders then.  They settled one hald mile due east from Trilla, and have been living within two miles of that point ever since, over fifty- three years.  That neighborhood to this day is called the Beals’ neighborhood.  Beals’ Church, and Beals’ graveyard are still there.  That family and their connections occupy that territory, the most of them owning their own homes.  There was no house in the township when they came.  Mr. W. is the oldest settler in the township.  Mrs. W. has not benn farther from home than fourteen miles in fifty-three years.  She is a good wife and mother, and her husband’s success in life is largely due to her untiring zeal and earnestness.  They have had eleven children, eight of whom lived to mature years, viz; Mary J., Henry W., David C., David B., Lucy E., Mahala R., Jesse M., Lorina C., William F., Zabin M., and Oliver H.  David C. and Mahala died in infancy; Zabin died at four years of age, and Oliver at twelve years.  Lucy E. died October 1865.  She was the wife of Wm Vincent.  Mary J. is the wife of Josiah Goodwin; Henry W. is married to Nancy J. Stone.  After her death he married Amanda Kelley.  David B. married Phebe Landers; Jesse M. married Eliza Hagey; Lorina C. married John T. Jones; William F. was married March 8, 1868, to Minerva J. Landers, of this county, a native of Crawford County, Ind.  These parents have children- John E., Essie B., and Mary A.  Wm F. lives in section 33, and is a well to do farmer.  Mr. W. is a member of the Baptist and Mrs. W. of the C.P. Church.  He has been successful in business.  He now owns 175 acres of land.  When they started from Indiana, they supplied themselves with a bed and bedding and clothes enough to last them a year.  Their money consisted of $1.50.  On the way, seventy- five cents was expended for ammunition.  So they landed at their new home with “Nary a dollar.”  His taxes were six and one fourth cents the first year; since that they have been as high as $80 a year.  At that time deer and turkey could be killed almost from the door of his cabin.  Coons-eighteen, full grown- have been taken in, in one third as many hours.  Since that time, things have changed.  The keen edfe of the hard times has been turned, and the desert has been made to blossom as the rose.  The old sickle now lays rusting in the smoky loft, and the automatic binder, drawn by horses has taken its’ place.  His son rents his farm.  Their corn, sorghum and wheat prospects are good for this year.  Mother Williams is a member of the C.P. Church.  She is one of the original members of the C.P. Church, of the “good prospect congregation”, organized forty-four years ago.  She is one of the only two still living.  Mr. W. had three sons and two sons-in-law in the army.  In politics, the entire Williams family is Republican.


Return To The Main Index