GREENUP TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

The following Biographies was transcribed by Barbara Moksnes from
  The Book "Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois"
Originally Published 1884 F.A. Battey & Co.


MRS. ROBERT ARTHUR, Greenup, was born March 4, 1816 in Baltimore, MD.  She went with her parents to Jefferson County, Ohio, where she was raised in the ordinary routine work of a poor farmer’s daughter, and received a good education, principally by home study.  In 1841 she married Robert Arthur.  Mr. A. soon after marriage rented a woolen factory in Jefferson County, but later bought a woolen factory in another part of the same county, which factory he ran he ran until 1858, when he moved to Cumberland County, Illinois, having made several trips to the county prior to that time, and in 1853 bought land which he settled on in 1858.  Here he interested himself in milling and farming, in which he was eminently successful.  He occupied a leading position in society, and was known as a man of great determination and decision of character and highly respected.  At his death [when sixty-four years old] he left a large property, the result of industry and economy.  Mrs. Arthur is living on the home place adjoining Greenup, and conducts the business affairs of the farm.  She stands high socially; noted for her generosity and her benevolent disposition.  The had nine children viz.; Eliza A.. [deceased], Joshua W., Rebecca J., Margaret S., John F., Mary E., Hanna D., Robert G., Effie B.[deceased].  Mrs. Arthur is a member of the Methodist Church.

JAMES W. ARTHUR, merchant, Greenup, was born February 10, 1843, near Steubenville, Ohio.  His early life was spent working in his father’s woolen factory and attending school until eighteen years of age, when he left school and took a position the woolen factory, remaining there until 1872, when he opened a clothing and gents’ furnishing goods store in Greenup.  He started with but little capital, which was borrowed.  He, however, successfully conducted the business, and later, with the assistance of friends, who endorsed for him to the full amount, he bought a $2,500 stock of general merchandise, and has since carried on a mercantile business.  He soon established a good business reputation, being considered reliable and prompt in business matters and energetic and enterprising.  He now does an annual business of $40,000, and carries a stock of about $15,000.  He is assisted in the store by his brothers George and John.  John is book-keeper, having graduated at the Terre Haute Commercial College.  George oversees the advertising.  He has a quantity of type and a press from which he issues a monthly paper advertising the store.  Mr. A. is a stockholder in the Greenup Bank.  In 1866 he joined the I.O.O.F. and passed all the chairs, and has been a representative to the Grand Lodge of the State.  He has contributed largely to all religious and public enterprises, and is an uncompromising temperance man, being a member of the various temperance organizations.  Mr. Arthur has met with many losses in business, but the personal confidence reposed in him enabled him to continue.  He carries, at present, the largest and best-selected stock of general merchandise at Greenup, and is doing the most extensive business.  On June 30, 1867, He married Mrs. Minerva Houghton, of Greenup, widow of R. W. Houghton, at one time a prominent citizen and editor of a paper at Greenup.

JOSEPH BATTYE, farmer [post-office, Greenup], was born in Yorkshire, England, October 31, 1819.  He was given a good education in England but his occupation was raising market vegetables.  When of age he emigrated to the United States, soon after his arrival settling in Hancock County, Indiana, and engaging in farming.  Then he went to Indianapolis and opened a meat market, and conducted it there for three years; then returned to Hancock County and resumed farming.  He came to Cumberland County in 1850, bought forty acres, and now has eighty acres of well improved land, a good residence, a fine orchard of choice fruit-all the result of industry and economy.  In 1868 he came to Greenup and embarked in the mercantile business.  He continued this for seven years, and then returned to his farm.  He has held various offices in the township; has been school director and Township Treasurer.  He is a member of the Christian Church; also his wife. 

JOSEPH D. BORDEN, poultry dealer, Greenup, was born March 17, 1843 in Benton County, Alabama.  His father was a minister in the Christian Church, and died a short time before the birth of our subject.  His mother died when he was but nine years old.  He remained in Alabama until he was sixteen years old, and obtained a fair education entirely by home study, at night, by the burning light of pine knots.  At fifteen years old he taught school; when seventeen he went to Louisiana, where he farmed; thence to Jackson County, Tennessee; thence to Cumberland County, Kentucky.  At eighteen years of age he enlisted in Company I First Kentucky Cavalry, and served in that regiment two years.  He was then commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company G., Thirty-Seventh Kentucky [Mounted] Infantry, for gallant service at “Dutton Hill.”  At the battle of Lebanon, Tenn., he was taken prisoner, and while under guard made his escape.  He was several days without food, and had many narrow escapes from recapture before he succeeded in rejoining his company.  Some time after the war he went to Coles County, Ill., and run a brickyard.  Then we went to Effingham, Ill., managed a brickyard one year, and in 1872 came to Greenup.  He first made brick, then farmed, and finally established himself in his present business of poultry and produce and commission merchant, in which he is now doing a thriving business.  He also owns some valuable land near the mineral well.  He is a radical Prohibitionist on the temperance question, and has several times been elected to the Town Board on the Anti-License ticket.  He has also taken a very active, leading part in all temperance movements and organizations, and was a member of the Town Board when the saloons were abolished and to his efforts it is mainly attributable.  On July 4, 1835, he married Fannie R. Wheat, of Adair County, Kentucky.  He has borne her husband two children- Joseph D. and Robert.

H. BOWMAN, farmer [post-office Greenup], was born in Guilford County, North Carolina, March 15, 1815.  At seventeen years of age, he began life for himself.  Going to Morgan County, Ind., he first leased, then bought a farm.  In 1851, he sold out and came to Cumberland County, Ill., and entered land.  He now owns 160 acres of well improved land, on which he now resides; also, a large farm, which has just awarded him by the Court after a protracted lawsuit, growing out of a trade made upon fraudulent representations.  He has been married twice.  His first marriage was to Lucinda Robinson in 1838.  They had ten children, only two of whom are living-Malina and James E.  She died in 1859.  His second marriage was to Miss Lucinda Dabnor, of Virginia.  They have five children, viz.: Peter, William T., Matilda, Samuel and Thomas.  Mr. B. is a man of fixed, honorable principles, just in business dealings, social and genial in his personal relations, and thus has the high regard and esteem of all his neighbors and acquaintances.

DR. RICHARD T. COLLIVER, Greenup, was born August 24, 1848, in Montgomery County, Ky., and went with his father, Sam­uel, to Indiana, in 1852, and settled Iii Putnam County. His father was a member of the legislature of that State, in 1862, and also taught school for ten years. He is now Justice of the Peace, a position he has held for twelve years. Our subject remained at home until he was our years of age, attending school and working on the farm. when he went to Kansas, and there engaged in the stock business; then returned to Indiana. and went into saw-mill and lumber business, in Putnam County. He then studied medicine in Cincin­nati, graduating from the Eclectic Medical College in that city. He came to Greenup on October 17. 1882, find now has a flourishing medical practice. He is a young man of good ability and fine address, and it is fair to predict for him a brilliant future. The Doctor secured a thorough literary education at Asbury University, Greencastle, Ind.

WILLIAM CAMPBELL, retired farmer, Greenup, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, April 7, 1803. He remained at home until he was fourteen years old, then went to his Uncle Robert Campbell’s, with whom he made his home until 1824. Prior to this time, he had worked clearing and opening a farm, and attending common school. On November 7, 1824, he married Lucinda Reed, of Franklin County. She was born April 21, 1807. Soon after his marriage, he rented a farm for two years; then bought fifty acres, on which he lived eight years. Selling this, he bought 129 acres near Central College, Franklin County, and lived on this farm eighteen years. He then sold this, and bought 320 acres in Paulding County, also still owning 112 acres in Franklin County. Then he traded a part of the Paulding County land for property close to Central College; then left farming, and kept hotel in Central College, remaining there ten years. He also was for a long time postmaster. Then he sold out and came to Cumberland County, Ill., and bought 235 acres of land on the Parker prairie, six miles from Greenup. This land he placed in cultivation, taking it when it was an unbroken prairie. He built a residence and barn, and set out a large orchard of all kinds of fruit. He now lives in town, and is worth $12,000, owning four town residences, after giving one to a married daughter all made and saved by energy and industry. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church. His first vote for President was for Andrew Jackson. Mr. and Mrs. C. are parents of eight children, viz.: Nor­man, Almira, Philetus, Susan, George, Sarah, Orlena J., Mary all married and living, and all exceptionally prosperous in life. Mr. and Mrs. C. are now living in a neat cottage residence, in Greenup, in good health and very active. They are good for another decade of happy life.

WILLIAM H. CATEY, farmer, post-office Greenup, was born in Randolph County, Ind., January 28, 1847. His grandfather was kidnapped, when a boy, in Germany, and brought to New Jersey, in this country, and sold out three years to a hatter to pay his ship passage. He learned the trade with him, and remained in New Jersey until 1822, when he went to Wayne County Ind. where he died in 1851. William, the third in a family of nine children, and father of our subject, remained on the farm until of age, then went to Kosejusko County, Ind., and farmed one year. He then married Sarah Davidson, of Randolph County, Ind. They were parents of six children. Our subject was the third child. He remained at home on the farm until he was twenty-two years old, and was given a common school education. At the early age of seventeen years, he enlisted in the army, and served out his term. He then enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-Seventh Indiana Infantry, and remained in the service until the close of the war. His older brothers were all killed in the war. On his return home, he assumed the management of the home farm, and the support of the parents and the family until 1870. In 1872, he came to Cumberland County, Ill., buying a farm, where he now lives. On September 18, 1873, he married Sarah J. Williams. To them have been born five children, viz.: Infant, Eva, Cora A., Carrie Z., Jessie E. His farm consists of 160 acres of fertile bottom land. His residence, with surrounding conveniences, is located on a high knoll overlooking the farm and the river that runs by it, presenting a picturesque appearance. He has the finest barn in the township, and equal to any in the county. It cost $1,600, and has a capacity of one hundred tons of hay and 2,000 bushels of grain. It was built in accordance with regular architectural plans, and is perfect in its convenience and arrangement.

SAMUEL W. CLARK, dealer in grain and agricultural implements, Greenup, was born under the American colors on board the “Black Star,” an old sailing vessel, coming into the harbor of New York on July 19, 1843. His parents were of Scotch-Irish lineage, and settled in New York City, the father being a contractor and builder. When fifteen years old our subject ran away from home, went to Ohio, and hired out by the month at farm work to Z. Hanna, with whom he remained until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, when he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He remained in the service one year, when he was discharged for disability. At the end of a year he again enlisted in the Army of the Potomac, and served until the close of the war. He participated in most of the battles of the Eastern Army, and at the battle of Chickamauga was severely wounded. After his discharge he returned to Ohio and to his former employer, with whom he remained until marriage. Mr. C. attributes his success in life to the thorough business training received at the hands of Mr. H., who always took an interest in him and his future prospects. Energetic, self-reliant, and naturally a shrewd, keen trader, Mr. Clark has rapidly accumulated a large property, now owning 400 acres of well improved farm land, several pieces of valuable town property, an elegant residence in Greenup, besides having a large capital invested in the agricultural implement business and in building a patent hay press, for which he owns the exclusive right to the State of Illinois. On December 17, 1 1878 he married Rosanna Harner, of Ohio. They are the parents of two bright little girls Mary E. and Ada M.

CHARLES CONZET, Sr., proprietor Conzet House, Greenup, is the only child of Peter Conzet, who was an officer in the Austrian Army. He was born in Hanover, Germany, October 5, 1799, was given a very thorough literary education, completed a course of study in Materia Medica, and at the age of eighteen went to the Crimea, remaining two years in an apothecary establishment; thence to Odessa, in Beserabia, and engaged in the same business for two years; then returned to Hanover. Then with his father he went to Friesland, in the Hanovarian Kingdom, and assisted his father in the management of a theater. Then he went alone to Amsterdam, Holland, and volunteered in the naval service for two years, doing duty along the coast of Africa, hunting down pirates. In 1825 he came to the United States, first landing in New York. He was there first employed as a barber; then as silversmith; then he taught school. He then went to Philadelphia, remaining there until 1828, when he went with a colony of seven young men to Holmes County, Ohio, and purchased 400 acres of land. He farmed there until 1848 when he came to Cumberland County, Ill. Here he bought two farms, which he tended four years; then bought the present location of the Couzet House, Greenup, and built the hotel which he has conducted, in connection with other business, ever since. He has also given attention to contracting and building, having constructed thirteen of the best buildings in this town. In 1854 he went to Minnesota and entered land, but did not live on the claim long enough to hold it, owing to Indian troubles. He came home, but in 1863 returned and entered and improved a farm from the timber. He sold out in 1876 and returned to his family in Greenup, where he has since resided. On October 5, 1825, he married Mary Snearry, of Pennsylvania. They have eight children, all living save one (William).

JOHN CONZET, jeweler, Greenup, was born October 23 1845. in Holmes County, Ohio. He remained at home until he was seventeen, when, July 10, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-Third Illinois Infantry, and was discharged July 10, 1865. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, Hoover’s Gap, etc. At the close of the war he went to Minnesota and farmed, and in that State learned the jewelers trade. Then he came to Greenup, and with some associates hired a teacher and gave some time to study and self—instruction. Then he assisted his parents in keeping a hotel, then farmed and finally opened his present jewelry store. He now has a large stock and a neat place of business, and a flourishing trade. It is the only store of the kind in Greenup. His store at one time was entered and $1,500 worth of goods stolen, and never recovered. As a Republican he has been elected three times as Township Collector. Mr. Conzet is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and the G. A. R. On February 8, 1872, he married Miss Hannah H. Houghton of Greenup. They have three children Leonora B., Bertha (deceased), Jessie P.

JULIUS C. CONZET, confectioner, Greenup, was born April 26, 1849, in Greenup, Cumberland County, and is the youngest child of Charles Couzet, whose sketch is elsewhere given. In early life he was given a good education, and graduated from the Terre Haute, Ind. Commercial College. He began life for himself at sixteen years of age as a clerk in a grocery store: then with a partner established a dry goods store; then a grocery and liquor store, after which he retired from active business for a time. He then started his present business of confectionery, groceries, and lunch-room. He carries a large stock, and his store is neat and tastily arranged, and presents an appearance creditable to any large commercial center. He was married in February. 1874, to Hannah D. Arthur, of Greenup. They have had two children, viz.. Duke and Freddie (deceased).

JOSEPH M. COOK, hardware store, Greenup, was born March 5, 1848 in Hocking County, Ohio.  His father, James Cook, was a blacksmith by trade, coming to Cumberland County in 1857.  He was a prominent citizen and temperance man, and took a deep interest in and devoted much of his time to the cause.  Our subject was given a good education and learned the tinners’ trade. At which he worked in various parts of Illinois and Missouri.  While in the latter state, he married Miss Almira Smith on January 10, 1869, and the following year came to Greenup and started a hardware and tin store.  He now has the only store exclusively given to that line of goods.  The store is well stocked and has a good trade.  Mr. Cook is a leading business man, and has a high social standing.  The parents have two children, viz; Benjamin F. and Gladdy.  They are bright children and well advanced in their studies, being regular attendants of the public school. 

JOHN C. DEES, grocer, Greenup, was born in Randolph County, Ill., October 20, 1845, was reared on a farm, but went south, and at age sixteen years of age, enlisted in the Confederate army at the commencement of the war, and served until its’ close.  He was in seventeen general battles, and on two hundred and sixty-five days’ skirmish duty, having been wounded three times.  While in the service he took prisoner his present father-in-law, who was in the Federal army at the time, and for years after the service each was a stranger to each other.  At the close of the war he worked on various railroads in Missouri and Illinois; then he went to Saint Louis, Mo., where he was a street car conductor for five years.  He then came to Greenup and opened a grocery store, his present business, having a large stock and a good trade in that line.  In 1872, Mr. Dees married Sarah E. Williams, Greenup.  To them have been born three children, viz; Charles C. [deceased], Cora and Oma.

JOHN DUNN, farmer, was born August 17, 1822, in Carroll County, KY., was reared on a farm and had poor educational advantages.  He left home to do for himself at eighteen years of age, earning $10 per month.  Then he went to Shelby County, Indiana, where he was married, May 4, 1847, to Miss Susan Yelton, who has borne him six children, viz.; Cornelia, Robert, Louis J., Franklin, Jeremiah and William.  All are married but Robert and William.  Mr. D. is an old settler, and made his entire property here.  He has a farm of 162 acres, well improved; he has also dealt largely in cattle.  He has been a school director and supervisor; is a deacon in the Baptist Church.

WILLIAM EWART
, retired farmer, Greenup, was born in Butler County, Ohio, June 29, 1814.  He is the fourth in a family of eight children, seven of whom are still living-in very old age.  James Ewart, grandfather of our subject, came to the United States from Ireland, and settled in Pennsylvania.  His son and the father of our subject, David, was born in Ireland, and was but six weeks old when brought to this country. The maternal grandfather of our subject came to America as a British soldier, during the Revolutionary War, but deserted and served four years under General Washington.  Our subject had poor educational advantages in early life, attending school but a few months to an “old Revolutionary soldier whose principle qualification was in applying the rod, and who required all recitations to be made in the loudest possible voice of the scholar.”  Mr. Ewart has always been a good reader, and is well versed in ancient history.  When he was ten years old he moved with his parents to FranklinCounty,Ind. His father there leased a farm for eight years, and there died in 1830.  Mr. E. assisted his brothers in working out the lease. In 1832, he learned the trade of blacksmith, at Fairfield,Ind., with one John Allen, and with him went to the Tippecanoe battle- ground, near LaFayette,Ind. He worked for Allen for a while there, and then started for himself, at Newtown,Fountain County, Ind., where he remained until 1853, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and bought a farm.  In farming he has been principally engaged ever since, now owning a fine farm, and in good circumstances-the result of his own energy and industry. On March 5, 1837, he married Elizabeth Titus, who died in 1850. They had seven children, viz; James A., Judson, David A., John P., Mary N., Catherine, and an infant, all now deceased but James, Judson, and John P.  March 31, 1851, he married for his second wife, Sarah Kirkpatrick, who has borne him four children, viz; Eudora, Laura, William A., and Thomas K., all living. This wife died January 12, 1877.  On August 2, 1881, he next married Elmira Conner, who is still living.  His children are all prosperous financially, some having good farms, others in the mercantile business, and one owing a livery stable in Greenup.  Mr. E. in politics is a Republican, having formerly been a Whig.  He is a strong advocate of Prohibition; was a member of the Sons of Temperance, held the position of Deputy Grand Patriarch, and has since been identified with all temperance work.

NEHEMIAH FANCHER, farmer [post office Greenup], was born in Delaware County, Ohio, August 28, 1833, and when sixteen years old, came with his parents to Cumberland County, Ill.  He was given a good education, and when he attained his majority, his father gave him eighty acres of unimproved land, which he placed under cultivation and improved and attended until 1861, when he enlisted as a Private in Company G, Tenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served forty months, and for merit was promoted to Corporal, and then to Sergeant.  He participated in many of the hard fought battles of the war.  In November 1864, he married Ellen LaDow, of Greenup, daughter of [now] Mrs. Chas. Nisewanger.  At the close of the war he returned to Cumberland County, and re-engaged in farming.  He now owns 250 acres of land on one farm, half a mile from Greenup, and all under cultivation.  His improvements consist of a large, fine brick residence, with a yard decorated with shade and evergreen trees; two large barns; a grainery; a large cow and hog stable, tool and farm implement shed; four wells, a large orchard of three acres of select fruit,etc.  He has shade trees set out along the lines of fences all over his farm.  The farm is well stocked with the best breeds of cattle, horses,etc.  He owns a steam hay press, which he operates on the farm, buying and pressing hay for the market.  In general he has perhaps the finest improved farm in the county, and is himself enterprising and prosperous.  He was a member of the Good Templars organization, and is a strong temperance man.  He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the G.A.R.  In all public improvements, he takes an active part, and is a liberal contributor to all charitable and benevolent movements, and is highly respected by the community.

JOHN GREEN, farmer, post-office Toledo, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, January 15, 1832, and when eight years old came with his parents to Cumberland County, Illinois, his father having entered 200 acres of land near Toledo, which is still owned by his heirs.  Our subject was raised to hard work on the home farm, shared the hardships of pioneer life, and had poor school advantages, but by home study during his leisure hours, he acquired a fair education.  In December 5, 1858, he married Ann M. Gardner, who has borne her husband four children, viz; William, Alice F., John D., and Lewis F. [deceased].  After his marriage, he first rented a farm then bought forty acres of land.  He has always been a farmer, and been very successful, now owning 400 acres of land.  His prosperous condition is the result of his industry and strict economy.  He is engaged in stock raising, having every convenience for that purpose.  His farms are well stocked with sheep, etc.  Mr. Green has held various political positions, among which are Constable, Deputy Sheriff, Commissioner of Highways and School Trustee.  He is public spirited, and contributes liberally to all religious matters and benevolent institutions.

JOHN GRIM, farmer [post-office Hazel Dell], was born in Stark County, Ohio, on November 26, 1821.  His parents, Joseph and Mary [Bush] Grim, were natives of Maryland, and among the first settlers of Steubenville, Ohio.  They were parents of twelve children, only three of whom survive, viz; John, our subject, Sarah [DeWitt], of De Kalb County, Illinois, and Sophia [Robb], of Roanoke, Ind.  Mr. G. left home when twenty years old, married Catherine Coldsmith, of Pennsylvania, and engaged in farming, which he has always followed.  He came to Cumberland County soon after his marriage, in an early day.  He inherited $300 from his father and with this start in life he now owns a farm of 120 acres, well improved.  Mr. Grim has given some time to the study of theology, and is licensed as a minister of the Christian Church.  His wife is also a member of the same church.  He is always charitable to the poor, has a high social standing, and is highly respected by the community in which he resides.

SILAS W. HUFFCUT, was born in Geauga County, Ohio, October 10, 1831.  His father, Sylvester W., was a soldier in the war of 1812, at the age of fifteen.  His father having died in the war, he supported the family until he was twenty-two years of age, when he married Elizabeth A. Clark, who bore him seven children, only two of whom, Sylvester and Silas are still living.  After his marriage he went to Orleans County, N.Y. and thence Ohio, where he remained until 1839, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and settled in Greenup.  At the end of two years he moved on a farm adjoining the town.  He was a local preacher.  For four years he was Assessor, also a charter member of the Masonic Fraternity.  He died on December 3, 1856, but his widow is still living at the age of eighty-three years.  Our subject remained at home, working on the farm and attending the common school, until 1849, when he went to Indiana, and run a ferry boat on the Wabash River two years, at Clinton, then returned and learned the carpenters’ trade, which has been his principle business since.  On December 2, 1855, he married Rachel Shull, of Greenup.  To them have been born six children, viz; Lillie, Wilson, Eddie [deceased], Grant [deceased], Caroline and Henry.  During the war he was a delegate to the State Convention at Springfield, as a representative of the Union League.  He is a Republican in politics, and a member of the Universalist Church.  He is also a member of the I.O.O.F., having been a representative to the Grand Lodge twice.

DR. NATHANIEL G. JAMES, druggist, Greenup, was born in Montgomery County, Ind., October 31, 1830.  He acquired a good education by home study, and in improving all the opportunities which the times and that locality afforded.  Then he began the study of medicine in Indiana.  In 1853, he went to Jasper County, Ill., and remained there two years; then in 1855 he went to Johnstown, Cumberland County, and began the practice of his profession; also conducted the mercantile business.  In 1871, he came to Greenup, and the year following opened a drug store, which he has since carried on in connection with his practice.  As a physician, he has the confidence not only of the community and local profession, but an extended favorable reputation and high standing as a gentleman and physician throughout southern Illinois.  For the successful and skillful performance of a very difficult surgical operation, he was elected as honorary member of the “Esculapian Society of the Wabash Valley”.  As a business man, he has been eminently successful.  He now owns a finely improved farm of 160 acres in Cottonwood Township, Cumberland County, a fine residence in Greenup, and a large drug store, all the result of industry, economy, and good management.  He has taken an active part in building up and improving the town, contributing largely in money from his own private resources.  To his efforts is greatly due the securing of the P., D. & E .R R. at Greenup.  On November 9, 1861, he married Margaret L. Vandewort.  They have six children, viz; Jessie B., now Mrs. Peters, of Greenup, William H., Leonard, Bertha N., Edwin B. and one unnamed.  William H. is now eighteen years old, and is away attending school.

JACOB JENUINE, miller, Greenup, was born in Columbus, Ohio, on November 30, 1845.  His early life was spent mostly in working in grist-mills and learning the milling business, which he has followed all his life.  He commenced life for himself when he was twenty-three years old.  He rented his father’s mill at Bell Air, Crawford County, Ill., and ran it for two years; then went into the stock business; then came to Greenup, and has since been running the “Cumberland Mills” and dealing, with his brother-in-law, in stock.  They are doing a thriving business.  The mill runs day and night.  On January 4, 1870, he married Miss Mary L. Matheny, of Bell Air, Ill.  She was born in New Albany, Ind., July 25, 1842, and came with her parents to Crawford County, Ill., when ten years old, but later returned to New Albany.  At eighteen, she learned dressmaking, and for ten years, or until the time of marriage, carried on the business, having an establishment at Bell Air, Ill.  Mr. and Mrs. J. have four children, viz; Fred M., Frank, Merylin R. and Homer.

CHARLES G. JONES, miller, Greenup, was born in Greenup Township, Cumberland County, Ill. November 3, 1852.  His father, Harrison Jones was born in 1828 in Tennessee.  He never had but fifteen days of school, but by home study, while farming, secured a fair education, and studied law, which he practiced in Greenup.  In 1836, he came to Cumberland County, farmed and practiced law.  His first wife was Rebecca Wall.  They were parents of seven children, Charles being the youngest.  This wife died in 1858.  He was next married to Elizabeth Wright.  They were parents of five children.  At the age of eighteen, our subject was called upon to maintain the family, a responsibility he promptly and cheerfully accepted.  He has continued to discharge this duty up tot eh present in a creditable manner.  Mr. J. had limited advantages for an education, but was always a natural mathematician and very quick in mental arithmetic.  He early displayed remarkable business talent, and has always been a successful trader.  His first venture was with $50 borrowed money, and good credit.  With this he bought two car-loads of sheep, on which he realized a good profit.  He has continued successful in stock trading, in connection wit other business ever since.  He now owns several large farms, a fine country residence, the largest saw-mill in the county, keeping ten teams of fine, large horses busy hauling lumber.  He has capital invested in several corporate and other general business enterprises, and has just completes a $10,000 grist- mill in Greenup.  This is all the result of his personal industry, good management and strict economy.  In all his business dealings, he never had a lawsuit, and in his personal conduct is gentlemanly, courteous, generous, and public spirited.  On May 23, 1880, he married Miss America E. Jobe. 

MAHLON R. LEE, was born April 8, 1835 in Greene County, Ohio.  His grandfather emigrated to the United States from Ireland, and settled in Clermont County, Ohio.  His oldest son, John, married Elizabeth Husong, of Ohio.  They had six children.  Our subject was bound out at seven years of age.  When his mother died, he ran away, and went to live with a farmer, with whom he remained until twelve years of age.  Then he carried the United States Mail between Centerville and Jeffersonville, Ohio.  At fifteen years of age, he walked from Jeffersonville to Westfield, Indiana.  Here he did chores for a farmer and attended school, then the first he had ever attended.  At the age of nineteen, he learned the gunsmith trade, and at twenty, he started in business in Jefferson, Clinton County, Ind. For himself continuing until 1857, when he went to Sangamon County, Ill., remained a year, returned to Indiana, cleared timber land, and by great industry and economy he saved a small capital, and in 1861, came to Cumberland County, Ill., bought 160 acres of land on credit, successfully meeting the payments.  In 1856 he was elected County Clerk for two years.  At the time of taking the office, he found the records in a very unsatisfactory, incomplete condition, and at his own expense, employed a thoroughly competent assistant, and revised the old and kept the new records under a perfect system.  At the end of his term, he engaged in stock raising and farming.  He moved on his farm in 1873, remaining there three years.  Then he was a contractor in building the P., D. & E. R. R.  In 1878, he bought an interest in the Greenup Mill, and his present, fine large brick residence, and moved to town soon after.  In 1880, he sold his interest in the mill.  He now owns a farm of 260 acres of well, improved land, besides the elegant brick residence in Greenup, all required by his own industry and economy.  On June 10, 1856, he married Miss Sarah Jessup, of Indiana, who ran away from home to marry him.  Their children are: Willard, Ethan A., Cora, Boxley, John, Mary J.  Cora, Ethan A. and John are the only children living.  Mr. Lee had three brothers: David, Clark and Ethan A.  David is now practicing medicine in Missouri; Ethan A. is practicing in Colorado.  Clark was a physician early in life.  He went to Texas, then to the southwest part of Mexico, on the Pacific coast, and there practiced his profession.  He adopted the Spanish language and Mexican customs, and was not heard from for thirty years.  He became very wealthy, returned to Missouri, where he met his brothers by appointment. There he died of Consumption. 

LEMUEL LEGGETT, farmer, Greenup, was born in Washington County, Ohio, December 17, 1827.  His grandfather was a native of Ireland, emigrated to America and settled in Pennsylvania, where was born Alexander Leggett, the father of our subject, who was by trade, a shoemaker, but mostly engaged in farming.  He removed to Washington County, Ohio, where he lived until his death.  He was married to Isabella Campbell, in 1800.  To them were born eleven children, all of who lived until advanced years.  Our subject remained at home until of age, when he started in life by keeping a grocery store at Sterling, Ohio.  In 1850, he came to Illinois, landing at Marshall; he went to Terre Haute, Ind., from there, and entered the employ of a surveying party, who were surveying the present route of the Vandalia Railroad, with whom he remained three years.  In 1853, June 23, he walked from Terre Haute to Greenup, with but a few dollars in his pocket, arriving there an entire stranger.  He soon opened a harness store, and made the first saddle ever made in the county.  In August 1862, he gave up his business to enlist in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois [Mounted] Infantry, as First Lieutenant.  Owing to poor health, he resigned after a years’ service, returned to Greenup, and went to farming on a 200 acres tract, which he bought prior to the war.  In farming, as in all his business undertakings, Mr. Leggett has been quite successful, constantly adding to his farm until he owned a section of valuable land, most of which he still retains.  He has built a neat cottage residence, a good barn and other outbuildings, and set out an orchard of several acres of choice fruit.  His farm adjoins Greenup.  On February 5, 1854, he was married to Miss Loretta A. Williams, of Greenup.  They are the parents of eight children, an infant [unnamed] Laura E. [deceased] Clark C., Florence, Anna B. [deceased] Sarah E., Joe and Gaylitte.  He is a Republican in politics.  He has contributed in time and money to all public enterprises, and especially in the digging of the Mineral Well.

CHAPMAN A. LEWIS, harness store, Greenup, was born in Rush County, Indiana, January 10, 1824.  He was raised on a farm, attending school in the winter season.  Being apt in learning, he generally stood at the head of his class.  His father was poor, and only afforded his children each one pair of shoes a year, and required all their time in hard work on the farm, except a few months each winter, at school.  In 1845, he married Miss Cynthia A. Earl, of Jennings County, Ind.  At first he farmed for three years, then went into the grocery business one year at West Paris, Jennings County, then bought a saddle and harness store in the same place.  He carried on a large business and learned the trade of harness-making.  After three years he went to farming, continuing until 1864, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and farmed ten years; then came to Greenup and established his present business.  He now has the largest establishment and the best trade in the place.  He was reared in the Methodist faith, and is highly respected by the community.  Eight children have been borne to them, viz; Oliver, David D., Elizabeth, charity, Leroy, Martha A. [Deceased], George [deceased], Jephtha [deceased].

WILLIAM McCANN, shoemaker, Greenup, was born in Flemington, N.J., August 18, 1834, was given a good education, and was taught his trade by his father.  He remained at home until of age, when he went to Glen Gardner, New Jersey, and engaged in business for himself for five years.  There he married Miss Susan Fritts; then he went into the stock business, buying and selling and shipping cattle for eighteen years, after which he came to Cumberland County, Ill. on a visit.  Seeing it was a good location for his trade, he opened a shoe shop; is a fine workman, and has a large patronage.  He is the leading shop in town.  Mr. McCann has a fine property.  He is a public spirited citizen, and much respected by his associates.

WILLIAM H. McDONALD, attorney, Greenup, was born March 1, 1841, in Ross County, Ohio, and is of Scotch Descent.  His great grandfather was from the Highlands of Scotland.  He came to the United States in 1777, settled in Pennsylvania, then went to Kentucky, and thence to Ross County, Ohio.  John C., his oldest son, and grandfather of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania.  He was a civil engineer by profession.  Wrote a history of the Scioto Valley, and Indian war of Ohio, and was a Colonel and Paymaster in the war of 1812.  His youngest son John, and father of Mr. McD., has always been principally a farmer, but has held the offices of Sheriff and State Senator from the counties of Ross and Highland, Ohio.  Our subject is the sixth child in a family of ten children; he remained at home until he was nineteen years of age, and received a very thorough education.  In 1860, he left home and commenced to study law with Judge Stafford, and on October 2, 1862, was admitted to the Bar, in Ohio, where he practiced for two years.  He then came to Illinois and settled in Charleston, thence to Cumberland County, locating at Toledo, and thence to East St. Louis, where he remained a short time.  He then returned to Ohio and remained there for three years.  In 1880, he came to Greenup. And now has a large and growing practice.  In 1873 he was elected to the State Legislature of Illinois, as a Democrat, from Cumberland County, and took an active part in the revision of the laws of the State.  He introduced the bill, which became a law, non-exempting property from execution where the debt was due the laborer or servant.  He has also been Master in Chancery.  On May 16, 1867, he married Miss Sarah Campbell, of Greenup.  They have one child-John.

REUBEN N. MATHENY, miller and stock dealer, Greenup, was born in Dubois County, Ind., on May 22, 1834; came with his parents to Crawford County, Ill., and remained at home on the farm until fifteen years old.  He was given fair advantages for an education.  When he left home he went to Hutsonville, Ill., and clerked in a store for three years; then went to Robeson, Ill., and kept a saloon; then sold out and went to farming.  In 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry.  At the battle of Shiloh he was wounded and returned home, remaining sixty days.  Upon joining the regiment again, being still unable for active duty, he was assigned to an ambulance corps, and was ordered to Holly Springs, Miss., where he was taken prisoner and paroled.  He then reported to St. Louis, and at the end of thirty days was exchanged.  Then he was detailed for duty as assistant in the Ladies’ Union Aid Association, in St. Louis, for eighteen months.  He was married in St. Louis March 13, 1864, to Miss Ann M. Shattuck.  In May 1864, he was mustered out of service, returned to Crawford County, Ill., and farmed until 1876 when he moved to Greenup, and went in the liquor business.  Then he returned to Crawford County, remained on the farm one year, returning to Greenup and engaging in milling and stock trading and dealing- his present business.  He has a large capital invested in the business, and is very successful.  Mr. M. is a member of the Masonic Order, and of the G.A.R.  His wife was born July 14, 1829 in New York.  When six years old, at the death of her mother, she went to Addison County, Vt.; at the age of twenty-two she went to Massachusetts.  She first worked in a cotton factory, then began nursing, which she followed for thirty-five years.  She was Matron in the Ladies’ Union Aid Association in St. Louis, Mo., for several years during the war, and won the respect and esteem of all.  While there she met and married her husband.

EDWIN MATTOON, retired farmer [post office Greenup], was born in Worthington, Franklin County, Ohio, September 6, 1808.  His father was a native of Vermont, but early moved to Franklin County, Ohio., where he lived on a farm until his death, at eighty years of age.  His wife was Miss Thankful Stebbins, who was highly educated and accomplished, as were all her family.  She had several brothers, who occupied eminent positions in various professions, especially the ministry.  A history of the Stebbins family has been published.  Our subject received a first-class education, attending school until he was twenty years old.  Then he learned the blacksmith trade.  He owned a shop for a number of years, at Blendon, Ohio.  In 1850, he went via the overland route to California, remained there several years, engaging in mining and blacksmithing.  In the meantime, he made one visit home, via the water.  In 1862, he returned to Central College, Ohio, and engaged in farming and blacksmithing for three years.  In 1865, he went to Charleston, then came to Cumberland County, Ill., and first rented, then bought the farm of eighty acres on which he now resides.  He has one of the best cultivated and improved farms in the county.  He has a neat cottage residence, surrounded by shade and ornamental trees, flowers in their season, and everything that makes a home attractive.  He was a strong anti-slavery man, and local worker in the cause, and for the Liberia colonization scheme, collecting money in its’ interests.  He stood alone on that question for several years in his community and church. He was also a very active worker in the early temperance reform movement.  Mr. M. is well read, and a thorough scholar.  He has taken an active part in favor of public reform movements during all his life.  In 1834, he married Nancy B. Langdon, of Hamilton County, Ohio.  They are the parents of eight children, all living, viz; Joseph S., now fifty years old, in the custom house in California; Mary E., Esteline M., Martha L., Delia M., Caroline, Anna M., and J. Leavitt.  The youngest is thirty-five years old.  Mrs. Mattoon died in August 1876. 

G. MONOHON, merchant, Greenup, was born in Montgomery County, Ind., February 10, 1830.  His great grandfather came to the United States from Ireland in the early part of the eighteenth century, and settled in New Jersey.  The grandfather of our subject was a pioneer of Fayette County, Ohio.  John Monohon, father of our subject, was reared on a farm in that State, and, in 1824, moved to Montgomery county, Ind., where he farmed for several years, then returned to Ohio, and resided in Madison County until 1844, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and here farmed until his death, June 18, 1856.  His first marriage was to Miss Nancy Stypes, of Fayette County, Ohio, who became the mother of Gershom Monohon.  Mrs. Monohon died in 1837, and subsequently the widower married Malinda Halloway.  Gershom Monohon was fourteen years of age when brought by his parents to Cumberland County, Ill.  His early life was spent in arduous farm work, and his school advantages were limited, but by application to study at home and by attending school after attaining his majority, he acquired a thorough business and a very fair literary education.  In 1852, he entered the store of A.K. Bosworth, as clerk, remained as such until 1858, and then formed a partnership with Mr. Kelum, continuing the same until 1864, when Mr. K. sold his interest to D.C. Robertson.  Since 1872, Mr. Monohon has been by himself.  In 1874, he built his fine brick business house in Greenup, adjoining which is his handsome residence.  He has been eminently successful in business, has accumulated a competence, and gained a high social standing.  He is a leading Republican, and almost continuously since the organization of Town Board, in 1869, he has been a member thereof, and is now its’ President.  In 1876, he was elected to the State Legislature, as a minority candidate, from Effingham, Shelby and Cumberland counties, by a vote of 12,442, and served two years.  He is quite public spirited, and contributed $1,000 towards securing the building of the Vandalia Railroad.  To his efforts, also, is mainly due the credit of causing the erection, in 1855, of the first brick schoolhouse in town, and later, against strong opposition, he was chief in the movement for the erection of the present fine brick structure.  He is also an active temperance man, and to his influence is largely due the non-license policy of Greenup.  He stands high in the Masonic Fraternity, and is a member of the Universalist Church.  November 25, 1857, he married Isabella H. Robertson, of Greenup, but formerly of Ohio, and by her he became the father of six children, viz; Hattie C. [deceased], Douglas C. [ deceased], John, Jennie, George C., and Mark T.

CHARLES NISEWANGER, retired farmer, Greenup, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, February 15, 1805.  His grandfather came to the United States from Germany, early in the eighteenth century, and was one of the first settlers of Marietta, Ohio, but later settled in Gallia County.  He had two sons, Jacob and John.  The former settled in North Carolina, and but very little was ever known of him afterwards.  John remained at home, working on the farm.  In 1800, he married Miss Winnefred Buck.  Their only child was Charles Nisewanger, our subject.  The grandfather died February 12, 1806.  Mr. Nisewanger’s early life was spent mostly in farm work and attending school.  With his stepfather he ran a ferry boat on the Ohio River, at Gallipolis, Ohio for several years.  In 1828, he went to Fairfield County, Ohio and contracted for excavating a part of the Cleveland and Portsmouth Canal.  After the completion of this contract in 1831, he was canal superintendent with headquarters at Newark, for ten years; then ran a hotel for thirteen months, at Lurray, Ohio; then came to Cumberland County, Ill. in 1846, settled in the timer and cleared part of a farm, remaining but a year.  He then moved to Greenup, and went into the mercantile business for two years.  During the ensuing six years he was Assessor, Collector and Deputy Sheriff.  On August 9, 1861, he organized Company A, Fifth Illinois Cavalry.  He was offered the captaincy, but declined, and was commissioned First Lieutenant.  He remained in the service eighteen months, but from injuries received from his horse falling on him he was compelled to resign.  Upon his return home he clerked for a year for A.K. Bosworth.  Then, in 1863, he engaged in mercantile business, in Greenup, continuing for ten years.  He then went to farming, which he follows, with the assistance of his son-in-law.  Mr. N. has always been, from boyhood, a tetotelar and temperance worker.  He organized the first lodge of Sons of Temperance in Cumberland County, and later the Good Templars’ Order, and with his wife was among the first to start the Blue Ribbon movement in Greenup, the result of which has been to make Greenup a prohibition town, with 1,600 signatures to the pledge.  He is a Mason in good standing, and charter member of the order in Greenup; also charter member of the Eastern Star; also his wife.  He has been married seven times.  His first wife, Susan Gilbert, lived but a year; his second, Mary Laney, lived three years; his third, Martha Smith died soon after marriage; his fourth wife, Sarah Smith, sister of his third, also deceased; his fifth, Sarah Warden, lived five years; his sixth was Elizabeth Pickering.  He then married Mrs. Lucy LaDow.  Mrs. Lucy [LaDow] Nisewanger, was born August 21, 1824, near Granville, Ohio.  Her maiden name was Miss Lucy Philbrook.  In early life she was given a thorough education at the Presbyterian Academy at Granville, Ohio, then taught school until her marriage, July 11, 1845, to James LaDow, who was a prominent lawyer, and highly respected.  In 1853, she came with her husband to Effingham County, Ill., remained three years, and then came to Cumberland County, where, November 28, 1860, he died.  After the death of her husband, she taught school for a while, was then appointed Postmistress at Greenup, and served until October 1863.  On August 9, 1863, she married her present husband, and soon after resigned the affairs of the post-office, her husband, Mr. N., being appointed in her stead.  With all business, political, and social acts of Mr. N., his wife has been closely identified and associated.  Mrs. N. occupies a high social and literary position, and has always been accorded the lead in movements and organizations among lady associates.  At one time, she made the presentation speech, in the presence of Governor Yates and Owen Lovejoy, consequent upon presenting a flag to the “Wide Awakes.”  On another occasion she made the presentation address upon the ladies giving a flag to Company B, Ninety Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry.  She is a charter member of the Eastern Star, and an active temperance worker.  Mr. and Mrs. [LaDow] Nisewanger, are parents of one child, Charles P. [deceased.]  

WILLIAM H. OZIER, was born in Washington County, Penn., November 8, 1811.  His father, Stephen Ozier, who was born in Baltimore, Md., was by trade a shoemaker.  When of age, he commenced life for himself, first settling in Pennsylvania, then in Mansfield, Ohio, where he conducted a large boot and shoe business.  He married Margaret Nichols, of Washington, Penn.  He died in 1834.  They were parents of eight children, four of whom are living.  Our subject was the oldest child, and was eight years of age when his father came to Mansfield, Ohio.  He was given a good education in preparation for West Point, by request of Gov. Bartly, but prevented from entering by the earnest protest of his mother.  His father then taught him the shoemaker’s trade, which he has followed in connection with the boot and shoe business for a great part of his life.  When of age he engaged in the bakery and confectionary business, in Mansfield, Ohio.  While there, he married, in 1832, Dorcas T. Goe.  They had one child, Richard.  His wife died in 1834.  In that year he went to Cincinnati, where he conducted a boot and shoe business for several years.  Then he embarked in a general mercantile, produce and provision trade between Cincinnati and points along the Ohio River.  In 1837 he married his second wife, Elizabeth Close, of Dearborn County, Ind.  They had two children, viz; Rachel and John.  His wife died in 1841.  In 1841, he went to Clermont County, Ohio, and there married his present and third wife, Mary A. Hartshorn.  He opened a boot and shoe store at Moscow, that county, continuing in the business for five years.  Thence he went to Cincinnati, where for two years he engaged in the same business; thence to Williams County, following the same business.  In 1871, he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and engaged for one year in the boot and shoe business in Greenup.  He then traveled as salesman for a leather house, since when he has been selling nursery stock.  His present wife has borne him nine children.  Mr. Ozier’s first vote for President was in 1836.  He was a strong abolitionist, made public speeches in favor of, and has suffered many indignities for advocating that doctrine.  He was an organizer of the Republican Party, and a delegate to the State Convention that first nominated Salmon P. Chase for Governor of Ohio.  In 1840 Mr. O. assisted in organizing the Sons of Temperance, and held various honorable positions in that order.  He has been a member of both the I.O.O.F. and Masonic orders. 

HARLOW PARK, cashier Greenup Bank, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, July 3, 1836.  His great grandfather came to the United States in 1730, from Germany, settled in New York, and there raised a family of seven children.  Amos, the fourth child, and grandfather of our subject, was reared in New York, but went early to Licking County, Ohio, and settled in Granville in 1805; thence to Delaware County, and thence to Franklin County, where he died.  His principle business was that of farming, in which he was eminently successful.  He won distinction in the war of 1812, through which he served.  His oldest child, James, Mr. Park’s father, was born in Lockport, N.Y., and was given fair advantages for an education, attending school, winters, and assisting on his fathers’ farm in vacation.  He was married to Margaret Agler, of Ohio.  They were parents of five children, viz; Horace, Harlow, Horton, Helena and Helen.  They also raised four orphan children, who are now well to do and prosperous, and who live in grateful remembrance of their generous and kind benefactors.  Mr. Park’s early life was spent at home on the farm, where he was disciplined in habits of industry and economy, and received a thorough business and literary education, attending Central College, Ohio, five years.  He thus laid the foundation for a useful, active life.  Leaving college at eighteen, and having chosen the vocation of farming for his business in life, for three years he applied himself to acquiring a knowledge of theoretical farming, by study and practical application.  During this time, he made several trips to the West with a view of selecting a permanent location.  When of age, he began for himself, in Franklin county, Ohio, farming and stock raising, continuing for five years, when in 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private, and served until the close of the war.  He participated in two active campaigns, one in the defense of Gettysburg, and the other in defense of Cincinnati when threatened by Kirby Smith.  He was for two years Provost Marshal at Camp Chase, Ohio, and for some Adjutant at Lital Barracks, Cincinnati.  His promotions and responsible positions of trust were the rewards of merit.  Social in his relations, punctual in the discharge of duty, and valiant in conduct, he had the respect and esteem of the officers and men.  At the close of the war, he returned to Ohio and resumed farming there until 1868, when he came to Cumberland County, and bought a farm of 200 acres, within three miles of Greenup.  He has given great care to its’ improvements, and skill in its’ management; has made fine permanent improvements, and placed it among the best farms of the county.  Mr. Park is a charter member and cashier of the Bank of Greenup, organized June 1, 1883, and to his efforts is greatly due the credit of its’ establishment.  The bank, at first an experiment, is now in a prosperous condition and doing a business beyond expectation, largely the result of his executive ability and financiering.  Politically Mr. Park is a Republican and party leader.  In local politics, he has taken a great interest, being chief organizer and leader in the Farmers Club, instituted, irrespective of the party, for the object of keeping honorable, competent men in charge of the county affairs.  The affect of this has been to raise the financial standing of the county from a low, depreciated state, to a sound financial basis.  A prominent leading citizen, he has contributed in time, influence, and money, to all public enterprises, and accomplished much for the improvement and building up of the community.  In 1863, he married Martha L. Mattoon, an estimable lady, of Franklin County, Ohio, where she was born.  They are the parents of five children, viz; James, Eva, Bertha, Oliver and Margaret.

JAMES M. RICE, farmer [post-office Greenup], was born in Shelby County, Indiana, August 27, 1846.  His father was a native of Kentucky, but settled in Shelby County in an early day as a farmer.  He was through the entire war of the Rebellion, being totally disabled for work from a severe wound.  Our subject supported his father’s family until he began life for himself, at the age of nineteen, when he worked by the month.  In 1869, he came to Cumberland County, and first rented, then bought the farm of eighty acres where he now lives.  He has built a fine residence and outbuildings, and set out an orchard of choice fruit.  On September 8, 1870, he married Miss A.E. King, of Cumberland County.  Mr. R. has made his property by his energy, economy and industry. 

DeWITT C. ROBERTSON, Postmaster, Greenup, was born in Hardin County, Ohio, February 1839.  His grandfather was by trade, a miller, but at an early day went to Kentucky, and was a companion of Daniel Boone.  His oldest son, Simon, and father of our subject, went to Ohio in 1830, and engaged in milling at West Liberty; thence to Hardin county and farmed until 1839, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and entered two sections of land; but before his death, which occurred August 1841, he owned 1,500 acres of land.  At the time of his father's death, our subject, was two years old; when four years old, he was taken to Kentucky, where he remained with relatives for nine years, attending school.  He then returned to Greenup, and lived with sister Abigail Lyons until 1856; then went to Ohio for a year; returned to Greenup, and worked for Simon Lyons until 1858; then carried mail between Greenup and Charleston.  In 1860, he went to Douglas County, but returned in 1861, and assisted in organizing, and enlisted as First Sergeant in Company A, Fifth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and served in the army three years. After returning from the, war, he engaged with G. Monohon in the mercantile business, for four years, in Greenup. Then he conducted a mercantile business by himself. During the financial crisis of 1873-74, he was compelled to suspend, but he has since settled with all his creditors to their entire satisfaction. He then farmed for two years; then he was a salesman in the store of A. J. Ewart for eighteen months. He was then commissioned Postmaster of Greenup, which position he still holds, and conducts in connection with a notion and confectionery store. He has always been public spirited, contributing largely to the securing of railroads and other enterprises that would benefit the public in general. Mr. Robertson is a social, honorable gentleman, and has the high regard, esteem and confidence of all, who have known him through life, or who have had social or business relations with him. He was married, May 7, 1865, to Miss Susan Talbott, of Greenup. They are the parents of Edward T., Simon, Ida M., Isabella, Araminta D., George 0-.. Susan D., and Dewitt C. Susan and Araminta are now deceased.

ISAAC ROTHROCK, farmer [post-office, Hazel Dell], was born January 31, 1836 in Stark County, Ohio; has always lived on a farm, but received a good education.  In 1854, he came to Cumberland County, worked by the month a number of years, saved his earnings and bought the farm where he now lives.  The farm consists of eighty acres, and is well improved.  He has a large frame residence and commodious out-buildings.  He is a radical temperance man and worker.  In politics he is a Republican, and has held the office of school director for several terms.  On November 6, 1864, he married Sarah Grim, of Crooked Creek Township.  Two children have been born to them, Olive A., Mary A. [deceased].  Mr. and Mrs. R. are both members in good standing of the United Brethren Church.

FRANK M. SAPP, blacksmith and wagon-maker, was born in Fayette County, Ill., in 1844.  At the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in Company H, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served four years and eight months.  He was in many severe battles, and was several times wounded.  At the close of the war he went to Vandalia, Ill., and learned his trade; thence to Kane County, Ill., there worked at his trade, and in 1869 came to Greenup, opened a shop which he has since conducted, except a short time when he was with his father-in-law in a grist mill.  On July 3, 1870 he married Arabella Talbott.  Four children have been the result of this marriage.

JOHN J. SEVERNS, farmer, [post office, Greenup], was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, December 14, 1814, and remained at home on the farm and attended school until the age of seventeen, when he learned the cabinet makers’ trade.  He went wit his parents to Knox County, Ohio, where he remained until the year 1835, when he returned to Coshocton County, where he lived twenty years.  He then went to Fulton County, Ill.,then worked at the carpenter’s trade four years.  He then came to Cumberland County, Ill., where he has since resided on his farm.  He now owns eighty acres of land in Cumberland County, well improved,  and sixty acres of Timber in Jasper County.  Although nearly seventy years old, Mr. S. is able to carry on the farm in person.  He is a member of the Masonic Order, and is an ardent temperance man.  He is public spirited and benevolent, and has a high social standing in the community.  He has been married twice; his first marriage was to Josephine McDonell, by whom he had three children, viz; Albina [deceased], Caroline and George [deceased]; his second to Elizabeth Lane, by whom he had four children, viz; Emma [deceased], Josephine, Eva L., and John D. [deceased.]

HARLOW O. SHERWOOD, farmer [post-office Greenup], was born in Perry County, Ohio, March 14, 1827.  His early life was spent at home on the farm.  He has a good education.  On January 27, 1853, he married Miss Mary J. Duer, of Perry County, Ohio.  He built a house on his fathers’ farm, conducted his fathers’ business, and supported him and his father in law until 1860, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., leased 100 acres of new timber land in Union Township for nine years, putting it under cultivation and making other improvements.  Then he bought eighty acres of new land where he now lives, cleared and put it under cultivation; then added to it thirty, then thirteen, then sixty acres, all of which he bought new, and nearly all of which he now has under cultivation.  His farm of 183 acres, his spacious residence, his fine young bearing orchard, a barn, etc., all are the results of economy, energy and good management.  On the temperance question he is a strong prohibitionist, and was an active leader in the Murphy Movement.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Church, in which he is a class leader.  Mr. S. has contributed largely to the building of several churches in the neighborhood, and is a strong leader and supporter of all religious movements.  In all of his undertakings, whether social, business or religious, his wife has shared all, and her frugality, and consistent Christian life have done much toward establishing his high, social and financial standing.  They have nine children, seven of whom are still living.

HUBBARD F. SPERRY, farmer [post office Greenup], was born in Licking County, Ohio, November 7, 1847.  In early life he attended the school taught by his father, Mark Sperry [whose sketch is elsewhere given], until the war, when he was placed under the tutelage of others until he was seventeen years old, when his father moved to Illinois.  Thus he secured a good education.  After coming to Cumberland County, Ill., he worked on his father’s farm until he was of age.  He then farmed for a short time, then taught school, then engaged for four years in mercantile business in Greenup, during this time being deputy postmaster.  He then married Miss Alice Snearley, and after his marriage engaged in farming, his present business.  Mr. and Mrs. S. are parents of four children, viz; Artie B., Gratia M., Beatrice M., Lula E.  Mr. S.’s farm consists of eighty acres of land, well improved, and well stocked.  He has a fine two-story residence, a large barn and commodious outbuildings.  Politically, he is a Republican, and has been Justice of the Peace.  He administered the estate of Jacob Snearley; was guardian of minor heirs.  He is a member of I. O.O. F.

MARK SPERRY, farmer [post office, Greenup], was born in New Hampshire, on June 26, 1818.  His great grandfather, Israel, was a tailor by trade, went to the Indian-French war, and never returned.  His grandfather was through the Revolutionary war, in General Washington’s division, as was at the battle of Bunker Hill.  At the close of the war, he went on horseback to New Hampshire; made the first settlement in the county, opened a farm from timber, and made improvements.  He remained on the farm until his death, in February 1840.  His father was raised on this same farm in New Hampshire, and was a Captain in the war of 1812, but his own entire business in life was farming; having lived on the a farm first owned by his father.  In 1865, he came on a visit to Mark Sperry, in Cumberland County, Ill., where, in September of that year, he died.  Our subject was raised on his fathers’ farm in New Hampshire, and was given a thorough education.  He taught school and farmed until 1824, when he went to Licking County, Ohio.  Here he taught school and was elected Principal of an incorporated academy , which position he held for nine years.  He then purchased the stock and continued the school for several more years.  For some time, he taught a large select school, teaching a class in vocal music at night.  At one time her was in the cheese and dairy business in Ohio, and had the largest establishment at that time in the state.  While in this business he made a cheese that weighed 1,000 pounds, which he sold in Cincinnati for twenty-five cents per pound. In November 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Seventy-Sixth Ohio Infantry.  He was appointed a Sergeant, and subsequently commissioned as Lieutenant of his Company.  He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh,etc., and was discharged from the service for disabilities.  He was then appointed to a position in the ProvostMarshal’s office at Columbus, Ohio, where he remained until 1864, when he came to Cumberland County, Ill., and bought the farm where he now resides.  Since coming to Illinois he has taught school, been engaged in farming, and taken a leading and active part in all educational matters in the county.  He has a fine residence, and one of the best improved farms in the county, all the result of his own economy and energy.  In October 1843, he married Miss Lucy A. Durant, who was born in Springfield, Vermont,
December 4, 1821, and who was the eldest of a family of eleven children, ten of whom are now living.  Her mother being for many years in feeble health, the care and labor of the household very early fell upon her, and under the eyes of a judicious mother and kind father she became adept in all the pertains to the management of a household.  The common school gave her the usual facilities for mental culture till about eighteen years of age.  Then a few terms at Chester Academy fitted her for teaching, which occupation she followed for some time in Vt., and also in Ohio.  In the autumn of 1842, this whole family went to Oregon in wagons.  At the time of her marriage, in 1842, a large expenditure of money for housekeeping was not as imperative as at present, and with very scanty means, Mrs. Sperry was enabled, by her early training, and indomitable industry and energy, to make the inconveniences of a small house and little furniture seem but trifles, and it was not long before her little domicile put on the appearance of home like simplicity and cheerfulness.  The duties of home were first with her in all things, save in sickness or distress, when her sympathies were all awake, and no toil or care seemed too great.  No child of want ever appealed to her in vain.  In early life Mrs. Sperry became a member of the Baptist Church in North Springfield, Vt., but on her arrival in Ohio she became a member of the Congregational Church, at Hartford, Licking County.  When she removed to this county, she became a member of the Presbyterian Church, of which she is a member at the present time.

WILLIAM STEWART, farmer [post-office Greenup], was born April 15, 1831 in Morgan County, Ind.  His father died when he was thirteen years old, since when he has supported himself.  When twenty-three years old he married Mary E. Stockwell, of Morgan County, Ind.  They have had eleven children, three dying when infants.  The living are Eb., Marshall, Sarah J., Emeline, Anderson, Viola, Calvin Minnie.  He first rented a farm in Indiana, and gave his attention mainly to stock raising, in which he was very successful, and thereby obtained a good start in life.  He came to Cumberland County, farmed, and then went to Missouri, bought 160 acres of land, remaining there seven years, after which he returned to Cumberland County.  He has now 238 ½ acres in Cumberland County, 130 of which is rich bottom land, also still owns the farm in Missouri.; has a good $1,000 residence and a fine large orchard.  Mr. Stewart in politics is a Democrat.  He is a member in good standing of the Methodist Church.  While in Missouri he was three years in the State Militia, on the Federal side.  He is now school director, which office he has held several years. 

MARSHALL STEWART, farmer [post-office Greenup], was born in Morgan County, Ind., April 15, 1831, and is a twin brother of William Stewart, whose sketch is elsewhere given.  When our subject was thirteen years old, his father died, since which event he has supported himself.  He first worked at $4 per month on a farm, then while yet a boy, rented a farm, was very successful, and continued renting for sixteen years.  Finally he came to Cumberland County, and bought 240 acres of land where he now lives.    There were but 10 acres of this cleared, and no improvements or fences, but he now has a finely improved farm, a good residence, barn and outbuildings.  The farm is mostly bottom land, which is the most productive soil in the county.  He has an orchard of 200 trees, farm all fenced, all under cultivation, and well stocked.  He married Matilda Laughlin, of Morgan County, Ind.  To them have been born nine children, viz; Mary J. [deceased] Anderson, Linlan, William B., Calvin [deceased] , Harriet, Stella and an infant.  His financial standing is the result of personal energy and skillful management.  He is a member of the Methodist Church, and of the I.O.O.F.  He was school director for six years.

MICHAEL STOCKBARGER, farmer [post office Greenup], was born in Licking County, Ohio, December 7, 1832.  He was reared on the home farm, fairly educated, and supported his parents in their old age.  Hw went with them to Knox County, Ohio, farmed there, and then, in 1858, came with them to Cumberland County, Ill. And settled on a farm bought two years before.  He has since been engaged in farming and now owns 140 acres of well improved land, a fine residence which cost &1,800, and other improvements in accordance.  His wife was Philena Osborn of Wisconsin.  They have three children.  He is a member of the I.O.O.F. having passed all their chairs. On the temperance question he is a Prohibitionist.  He is public-spirited and charitable, and highly esteemed by his associates.  Mr. S. gives much attention to stock-raising, having a taste for fine breeds of horses and cattle.

EDWARD TALBOTT, farmer, Greenup, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, August 3, 1820. He was reared on his father's farm until nineteen years old, and had but a few months schooling, during the coldest winter weather. At the time of leaving home he could only read and write, but after he began life for himself he gave all his extra time to study, attended school for a few months, and qualified himself for teaching. When he left home, he first came to Cumberland County, Ill., and contracted for clearing forty acres of timber land. He remained nine months, and then returned to Ohio and rented his father's farm ,which be attended summers, and taught school during winters. In 1844 he married Mrs. Jane Wolf, and came soon after to Cumberland County, and engaged in mercantile business, and then farmed. In 1848 he was elected Sheriff of the county. At the expiration of his term of office he kept hotel and store, until 1851, when he was elected Circuit Clerk for a term of four years. In 1852 he began the building of the Cumberland Mills. He bought the machinery in ‘Warren, Ohio, and shipped it to Terre Haute, Ind. by canal, thence by wagon to Greenup. At the time of building the mill there was but little wheat raised in the county, it being thought that the ground was not adapted to its culture, but largely through the efforts of Mr. T., and the influence of the mill, it is one of the best wheat producing sections in the State. The milL is still in operation, and doing a large business, though in other hands since 1872. In 1858 he was again elected Sheriff, and served one term. In 1859, in addition to his milling and stock-dealing, he again engaged in mercantile business until 1862, when, July 1 of that year, he organized Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-Third Illinois Infantry Within one week 101 men enlisted under him. He was commissioned Captain, and with the Company entered at once into active service. He was first engaged in the battle of Perryville. Here the Company met their first real experience in fighting. The Regiment opened the engagement, and Company B, under command of Captain T., became involved in an unsupported conflict with greatly superior numbers, and it is due to all engaged, to say that the whole command displayed a perfection of discipline and soldierly gallantry worthy of the oldest veterans. The Company took an active part in the battle of Chickamauga, and other severe battles. As an officer and soldier, captain T. was brave, intrepid and daring, and won distinction for gallant conduct. March 14, 1864, he resigned his commission, owing to disabilities, returned home, and gave his attention to milling and stock—dealing. In 1869 he lost $5,000 by fire. He sold the mill in 1872, since when he has principally farmed He contracted for and built several miles of the P., D. & E. R. R., being defrauded out of considerable money. This, with his loss by fire, and other adverse happenings, caused a partial failure, but he has regained rapidly, and now owns a fine farm, and is again in prosperous circumstances. He has always been public-spirited. He gave $1,000 towards securing the Vandalia R. R. at Greenup, also to securing the P., D. & E. R. R. He now holds the office of Supervisor, this being his seventh year. His wife died in 1857. His second and present wife is Esther Ann Reese.

WILL S. TOBEY, editor of The Cumberland Times, son of Allen G. and Lovina M. Tobey, was born at Vincennes, Knox Co., Ind. November 27, 1856. He received a fair education in the various common school grades of his native city, and when seventeen years of age entered the freshman class of Vincennes University. Compelled by feeble health, he withdrew from College after one years study. Having at intervals, since he was fourteen years old, been connected with various printing establishments in Vincennes, and having a deep-seated love for the work, he soon turned his attention to developing his natural aptitude in this direction, and educating himself in the great typographical and editorial school of this country. There is scarcely a city of any importance in the Mississippi Valley, where he did not engage in the labor of his chosen profession; confines his practice, however, exclusively to the details of job-printing, in which he attained an enviable reputation for skill. His career in newspaper management proper commenced in the spring of 1876, when he located at Bement, Piatt County, Ill., and took a controlling interest in the Bement independent, a weekly publication. Finding Bement and its adjacent territory not likely to yield the support essential to the existence of a live paper, he sold his interest in the Independent and removed to Danville, Vermillion Co., Ill., where he accepted a partnership in the Erie one of the six newspaper publications, at that time, in Danville. His next venture was the editorial management of the Enterprise, printed at Lovington, Moultrie Co., Ill., which he assumed in the fall of 1879, and continued until the spring of 1881. At this time being broken down in health, he withdrew, temporarily, from professional work, and repaired to his mothers home near Russellville, Lawrence Co., Ill. On April 15, 1881, he married Miss Elenora M. Gould, an estimable and highly respected lady of Palestine, Crawford Co., 111., and in the following October. moved to Greenup, Cumberland County and established The Cumberland Times, a weekly newspaper, devoted to the general good of the county, and, in a political sense, guarding the interests of tile Republican element of the section. In the work of placing his paper upon a firm and lucrative basis, Mr. Tobey unexpectedly encountered the most bitter and unrelenting opposition, not only from his competitors but from many individuals, long residents of the county, who seemed to consider him as an interloper, and stigmatized his journalistic enterprise as an unnecessary factor in the business of the community, and its introduction a matter of youthful, and therefore inexcusable presumption. In addition to this he met with repeated assaults upon his private character which, however, having no foundation in fact, recoiled upon his assailants with redoubled force. The Cumberland Times, at first, experienced a severe struggle for life, but by scrupulously observing every principle of honor and good faith, and conducting its publication with a fearless regard for the genuine good of the community it represents, irrespective of personal prejudices or party demands, its owner has broken down and utterly destroyed its early opposition and won for himself and his paper the respect of the entire population in and about Greenup. The Times is one of the few country papers in Southern Illinois which affords its owner a comfortable and sure living, and, at the same time, maintains a high commercial credit. It is not only the official organ of Cumberland County, but may justly be placed among the leading journals of the Sixteenth Congressional District.

NICHOLAS F. TROXEL, farmer [post-office Greenup], was born in Morgan County, Ind., October 15, 1831.  His father, Daniel, and his mother Elizabeth [Beckman] Troxel, moved in an early day from Virginia to Kentucky, thence to Tennessee, and thence to Indiana.  They were parents of ten children.  Our subject came to Cumberland County, Ill., with his parents in 1840, when he was nine years old.  Early in life he worked on a farm, and attended school, securing a good business education.  He has always followed agricultural pursuits, and now owns a finely improved farm of eighty acres near Greenup.  He has a fine residence; substantial outbuildings, and a good orchard of choice fruits.  He has been a member of the I.O.O.F., and is now a member of the Masonic Fraternity; has been a school director for several years.  Mr. T.’s wife was Harriet M. McQuiston.  To them have been born four children, viz; William D., Charles E., Margaret E. [deceased], Mary [deceased.]

THOMAS C. TUTEWILER
, was born October 13, 1813, in Fairfield County, Ohio.  His father was a native of Rockingham County, Va.; settled in FranklinCounty, Ohio, in 1801, and entered there a farm, on which he lived until his death.  Our subject remained at home working on the farm and assisting his father in maintaining the large family of younger children until of age.  On July 2, 1835, he married Esther B. Aleshire, after which he farmed for three years, then came to Cumberland County, Ill., by wagon, in the spring of that year.  Here he entered 320 acres of timberland and prairie.  He is a pioneer of the county, and had to endure all the inconveniences of the early settlers.   He lived the first year in a log cabin with a blanket for a door.  He owned 600 acres of land, which he put in fine cultivation, and built a residence and out buildings.  He lost heavily by prairie fires and by wolves killing sheep, hogs and other small stock.  He did his trading mostly in Terre Haute, Ind.; having no wheat flour, he had to go to a horse mill, a distance of ten miles, to get corn ground.  He sold 1,500 pounds of pork in an early day, at $1.25 per hundred, and bought salt at $8 per barrel atTerre Haute. His entire life has been given to farming, in which he has been very successful.  He has divided a large property among his children, but still retains a large farm; also owns a neat cottage residence in Greenup, where they reside.  Mr. and Mrs. T. have been married nearly fifty years, and they are the parents of four children, viz; Jacob H., Lydia A., Julia A., and Rebecca J., all living and in prosperous circumstances.  They are members of the MethodistChurch. Mrs. T. is charitable and generous, and is ever a friend to the poor and the afflicted. 

D.C. UNDERWOOD, druggist, Greenup, was born in Knox County, Ohio, November 19, 1812.  His great grandfather was from Scotland, and settled in Pennsylvania.  Jesse, his son, and grandfather of our subject, was born in that State, where he lived and engaged in farming until he was fifty years old, when he went to Knox County, Ohio.  His wife was a German lady named Julia Myers; their oldest son, Henry, and father of Mr. U., was born in Pennsylvania, December 24, 1806.  He married Eliza Huffort, of Pennsylvania, and when twenty eight years old he came to Ohio with his fathers’ family, where he still lives, and is seventy seven years of age.  Our subject remained at home till eighteen years old.  He had but fair advantages for an education, but by home study and close application acquired a very thorough education, and fitted himself for teaching.  When eighteen years old he enlisted in the ninety days’ service- in the late war- in Company F, Third Ohio Infantry.  At the expiration of his time he re-enlisted in Company C, Thirty-Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served three years.  He first saw active service in West Virginia, and participated in the battles of Cheat Mountain, Crab Orchard, Winchester, Mooreland Heights, etc.  At the battle at Harper’s Ferry he was taken prisoner, after being twice wounded, was paroled and sent to Camp Douglas, Chicago, was later exchanged, and was in Grant’s army in the Mississippi Valley.  He was appointed First Sergeant, and at Vicksburg, was Provost Marshal for two months.  He won several promotions, and was assigned to many responsible positions requiring good judgment.  At the close of the war he returned to Ohio, gave some time to study and soon after came to Cumberland County, Ill.  Here he taught school in various parts of the county for eleven years, until 1879, when he embarked in the drug business in Greenup, his present occupation.  He has a large stock and a good trade.  On August 3, 1867, he married Miss Lydia S. Giffin, of Coshocton County, Ohio.  They are the parents of five children, viz; James, Henry W. H. [deceased], John C., Eliza M. and Stella J.  He is an acceptable member of the I.O.O.F. 

SAMUEL WALDEN
, farmer, [post office Hazel Dell], is a native of Oldham County, Ky., born July 18, 1821.  When a boy, he was apprenticed to the tanner’s trade, which he followed five years.  Owing to the fathers’ poverty and large family he had meager advantages for an education, but by his own efforts, with little instruction, he acquired sufficient knowledge of the common branches to enable him to properly transact business during his subsequent active life.  In 1844, he went to Johnson County, Ind., bought and improved 80 acres of land, for which he gave his notes, but met the payments.  In 1853, he sold out and came to Cumberland County, Ill., and bought 120 of the 240 acres he now owns and lives on.  He has a fine, large residence, and other improvements in keeping with it, and all acquired through his industry.  On December 19, 1850, he married Cordelia E. Guyton, of Oldham County,Ky.  They have six children, four of whom are married and three residing in the neighborhood.  He was in the Mexican War nine months, and discharged for disability.  In earlier days, Mr. Walden was an old line Whig and Abolitionist, but later became, and is now a Republican.  He is a strong temperance worker and Prohibitionist.  He is an elder in, and member of the Christian Church to which his wife also belongs.

THORTON A. WARD
, retired farmer [post office Greenup], was born November 25, 1816, inVirginia. When four years old, he went wit his parents to Ross County,Ohio, where he was reared on the farm.  His education was obtained principally by working away from home doing chores for his board, and attending school; during winter and summer he either worked on the home farm or out by the month, giving his earnings to his father. When seventeen years old he went to work for an uncle, and remained with his a few years.  He then rented a farm, which he continued on eleven years.  In 1852 he came to Cumberland County, and bought 120 of the 840 acres he now owns and resides on, 160 acres of which are in Jasper County.  On June 27, 1848, he married Elizabeth E. Crozier, of Chillicothe,Ohio. They are parents of eight children, viz; James, John, Allison, Lorenzo, Robert, Franklin, Eva A. and Arminna E. [deceased]. His sons are all successful businessmen, or prosperous farmers, and in good financial circumstances. Eva A. is highly educated, and an accomplished musician; lives in Centralia, Mo., and is teaching music.  She is unmarried.  Mr. Ward resides in a fine large brick house, which costs $6,000.  The brick used were burned from clay on his own farm.  The house has ten rooms, with all the conveniences and modern improvements.  His large property is the result of industry, economy and skillful management, he having no assistance from others.  He is a strong temperance man and worker, and occupies a high social standing in the community.

JOHN WETHERHOLT, farmer [post office Greenup], Was born in Essex County, N.J., September 12, 1828.  When three years old he went with his parents to Franklin county, Ohio, was raised on a farm, now in the city limits of Columbus, Ohio, until he was fifteen years old, when he left home and learned the trade of brick moulder, and made it his principle business for seventeen years.  In 1846, he enlisted in Company F, Second Ohio Regiment, and served one year in the Mexican war.  His first successful investment was during the late war of the Rebellion, when he bought 200 acres of timber land near Cincinnati, on credit, sold the timber off at high prices, and with the proceeds soon after came to Cumberland County, Ill., and invested them in land there.  He now owns 665 acres of land, mostly in Cumberland County, 495 of which are in one farm, on which he resides, within one mile of Greenup.  His large accumulations are the result of good financiering, great industry and strict economy.  In politics, he has always been a strong Democrat, and held various positions within the gift of that party, being the first Democratic supervisor elected from his township.  In February 1857, he married Miss Mary Peffers.  They are the parents of eleven children, all of whom are living, save one.  Mr. W. is a generous, public spirited man, a liberal giver to charitable institutions, and much respected by his acquaintances and associates.

WILLIAM WILLSON, was born in Hampshire County, VA., March 31, 1807, and is of English descent.  His grandfather was one of the English Nobility.  His father was born in London, and came with his parents to the United States when he was eight years old.  He was a merchant, principally, but late in life came to Carroll County, Ohio and farmed and there died.  He was married to Nancy Heritedge.  They have had nine children.  Our subject, who was the third child, remained at home until of age when he went to New York State, and there farmed and drove a stage for eighteen months.  Then he returned to Ohio and drove stage for five years, from Columbus, on the National road.  In 1837, he came to Illinois and entered 160 acres of land.  He then returned to Ohio, remained five years driving stage, then returned to Ill., sold his land for $300 and went back to Ohio.  In 1842 he came to Cumberland County and bought eighty acres of land, which he owned until 1860, when he bought his present home residence in Greenup, where he has since resided.  He has always been a strong temperance man, and an advocate of temperance principles.  Mr. W. has always been industrious, economical and saved his earnings.  For the last number of years his business has been that of loaning money.  He was never married.

HENRY WINSLOW, lumber and grain dealer, Greenup, was born in Guilford County, N.C., January 24, 1826.  All his ancestors on his paternal side were from the same county, as far back as can be traced.  When he was three years old he came with his family to Indiana, they settled in Rush County.  His father cleared and put under cultivation the first farm of eighty acres in that county.  When our subject was fourteen years old his father died.  With the help of a brother, he maintained the family, and paid off a large debt owed by his father at the time of his death.  After leaving home, he learned the carpenter’s trade, and engaged in contracting and building.  He was thus employed until September 4, 1852, when he married Mary E. Brooks, of Rush County, Ind., and then went to farming, leasing for three years.  He then went in debt for $3,300 for a farm and threshing machine, but paid it up in full within six years.  He gave twenty-six years of farming to Indiana, both before and after marriage and, in 1872, came to Cumberland County, Ill., with a sawmill, locating four miles north of Greenup, and went to cutting walnut lumber.  In 1873, during the general financial reverses, owing to dishonest practices of his partners in business, he failed; but he paid every cent of his indebtedness, paying one debt of $6,500 in cash.  Since that event he has been engaged in his present business of buying grain, lumber, hoop-poles, staves,etc.  Although he has not regained a large property, yet such is his reputation for honesty and fair dealing, that he has good credit.  He is a strict temperance man, and a member of the Friend’s Church.  Mr. and Mrs. W. have six children, vuz; Mary E., Jesse B., Sarah A., Heber M., John and Anna J.; all deceased but Heber and Anna J.  The latter is now away attending school and learning music.

WILLIAM WYLDE, real estate and insurance agent, Greenup, was born December 31, 1840, in Leicestershire, England.  His father, Samuel, was a farmer, emigrated to the United States in 1844, and settled near Columbus, Ohio.  He then worked for Sullivan, the great Illinois farmer, until 1852, then moved to Madison County, Ohio.  In 1858, he came to Cumberland County, Illinois, and bought a farm near Toledo, where he died the following year.  Our subject received a thorough education in early life, and graduated from the Indianapolis Commercial College in 1856.  In 1853, he attended the Normal School, and fitted himself for teaching.  Then for three years, he bought and sold cattle during the summer, and taught school winter seasons.  Upon his return to Indianapolis, he married Laurinda Vandyke, of Toledo, Ill.  They have two children, viz; Nettie and Daisy [now deceased].  In 1867, he engaged in farming near Greenup, where he has resided ever since.  He has been engaged in teaching school, in civil engineering, and is now in the real estate, loan and insurance business.  He is a member of the I.O.O.F.

Lyle Winfred Ward was born March 28, 1894 a son of James Henry and Mable (Talbott) Ward in Greenup Illinois. He was married to Della M. Stodlie on November 5, 1951 in Pittsfield Massachusetts. Mr. Ward has been a life long resident of Greenup and has a genealogical background of historical interest to the Greenup area. His maternal grandfather, Captain Edward Talbott, was one of the earliest settlers in the Greenup Community and did much to make the pioneer village of importance to its habitants. His paternal grandfather, Armstead Ward, was an old settler of Jasper County.

James Henry Ward was born March 2, 1850 in Rush County Indiana, the son of Armstead Ward and Celia Ann Billington. He was married to Mable Talbott, the daughter of Captain Edward (Civil War) and Jane Smith Uyaler. Mrs. Ward was born March 1, 1855 and died Dec. 6, 1913 in Greenup, Illinois. Mr. Ward died March 27, 1919 in Greenup, Illinois. J. H. Ward was a well known businessman in Greenup, and he and his wife were the parents of (1) Thomas M., born Dec. 4, 1873 and he died July 16, 1941, (2) Leonora M. (James) born August 14, 1875 she died March 26, 1963, (3) Edward Armstead, born Oct. 1, 1878 and he died May 26, 1947, (4) Valerious B., born Dec. 4, 1880 and she died Aug. 28 1881, (5) Daisy Dean (St. Jean) born Aug. 10 1882 and she died May 13, 1949, (6) Amy B. born Sep. 21 1890 and she died Aug. 17, 1892 and (7) Lyle Winfred born March 28, 1984.



Return To The Main Index