CUMBERLAND COUNTY, ILLINOIS


LONG POINT CHAPEL CHURCH IN UNION TOWNSHIP

    Many people are getting Long Point in Neoga Township and Long Point in Union Township confused.  They are several miles apart as Neoga is on the west side of the county and Union is on the east so we leave these two articles on the Long Point of Union Township also.

LONG POINT DEDICATION

     Long Point is one of the oldest churches in Cumberland County, Illinois.  About the year 1849, David Fancher with his family settled in the east side of the county, a few miles from Casey.  It was a timbered country, with but few inhabitants.  Mr. Fancher, father of C.C. Fancher, so well known in Illinois Conference, proposed that a church be built.  The neighbors said they had no money, but if Mr. Fancher would furnish the lumber for the seats, casings, etc. they would hew out logs and put up a church. Under this agreement, C.C. Fancher, then a mere boy, was sent far west into the timber skirting the Embraw  River (this is a distance of about ten to fifteen miles) to haul walnut logs with an ox team to the mill.  In the meantime others were felling and hewing trees, in in a short time a church was built.  This was 1857, and it is not known whether this house or a similar one built by the Friends, north of Greenup, holds the priority record.  The church was later replaced by a frame building.  About twelve years ago, this building was moved a few rods, repaired, and put in first class order.  Five years ago, Rev. W.R. Seitzinger was assigned the charge, and promoted a very gracious revival in which there were near one hundred conversions, and many accessions.  
     Under the leadership of his successor, Rev TH.. Decker, a mod…d church was built, with a full basement, and this past year a new electric lighting system was installed.  
     Sunday, June 15, 1923, the house was dedicated, Bishop H.H. Fout was with us, preached in the forenoon, then called for an offering.  Four  thousand dollars was asked for, and during this day  $3,892.38 was secured in cash and pledges.  The women's aid had put $500.00 into the building, and cheerfully assumed a pledge of $1,000.  Revs. G.M. Meyers and E.L. Bates gave valued assistance, and the orchestra from our Casey church furnished good music.  A great dinner was served in the basement.  

This information is transcribed from The Happy Hunter, Cumberland County Genealogy Society, Greenup Illinois.  The date  and volume number is not noted on the pages that I am transcribing from. I had requested copies of information from April, 1968 , Vol. 3, Issue 2.  Thelma Bishop from the Cumberland County Historical Society graciously located, copied and sent this information to me.  The copies were somewhat difficult to read, and any errors are mine. (Contributed by Brenda Duckworth)

HISTORY OF LONG POINT CIRCUIT & LONG POINT CHAPEL


     1830 seems to be the earliest record of an organized U.B. church in the state of Illinois.  One was in McLean County and the second in south eastern Coles county in the vicinity of Westfield. 
     Long Point chapel has long been a landmark in the Casey community.  It was organized about 1843.  The meetings for the first 10 years or so were held in a log school across the road and north of the cemetery.  The school was turned over to the church, and a new school house built northwest about a mile. 
     In the  U.B. History for 1845-1857 Long Point is not mentioned by name, but it is thought to have been part of the Westfield circuit which was in the Wabash Conference.  Wabash Conference had 50 ministers in attendance in 1845.  In 1857 Wabash Conference was divided into the Upper and Lower Wabash conference.  The latter included Westfield. 
     About 1855 a new Long Point Church was built.  It was a large plain building, built just west of the present (1953) church.  Amos Hugh Lacey (born 1848) and John Galbreath, then just kids, kept fire when first it was plastered.  Uncle David Fancher (father of Cicero Fancher) and Uncle William Hiller  (father of Sarah Lee, born 1843 and grandfather of Ethel Lee) and Peter Wagner (grandfather of Edith  Howe Shuey) hauled logs for the church to Doc. A.G. Lacey’s (Hugh’s father)  sawmill located just west of Jud Volks house on the banks of Long Point Creek. 
     Others mentioned in connection with  the church at that time were:  the John Miller family, the Barbara Cook family, Sam, Bill, and John Dailey (Sam and Royal Fancher’s teacher, Daddy Witt, Dan Davidson, and Bent Cutright.  Preachers remembered were Alexander Helton, Jim Cougill, Chittendon, Cavy Ross, Schidler, Tipsword, Buzzard, and Charles Jones who was the presiding elder. 
     This new church had two front doors and aisles, and as the custom was the women entered the right door and the men the left, and sat during the services on their respective sides.  At the  close of the services, if a young man wished to accompany a lady friend home, he must “beat it” to her door and woe to the young man who was too slow. 
     At first meetings were held regularly.  Testaments were purchased by the church and used in place of quarterlies in the Sunday school and there was not organ to help with the music.  Musical instruments were considered too worldly by many for churches.   One story told of a song leader who used a tuning fork to get the right pitch, which procedure was objected to by the choir since they had not been trained in that way. 
     Members from a distance would often come in big wagons and pick up neighbors, and so have a full load when reaching church. 
     The first conference session  of the Lower Wabash Conference was held at Westfield, March 17-21, 1859.  Bishop David Edwards presided.  16 fields of labor were in the conference.  18 had 18 or more appointments each.  Weather was cold and stormy. Roads were bad, ministers traveled by horseback.  Buggies and railroads were not used. 
     The names of the circuits and missions at this time (1859) do not greatly assist the modern reader in understanding their locations.

Transcribed from The Happy Hunter, Cumberland County Genealogy Society, April 1968, Vol. 3, Issue 2, page 20. Contributed by Brenda Duckworth


REOPENING OF LONG POINT CHAPEL


     This church was built in 1855, being four years before the organization of the Lower Wabash Conference.  Many souls now in heaven were saved at its altar;  many faithful servants of God now departed dispensed the word of life from its pulpit.  By reason of long use it was well worn and needed repairs.  The membership was scattered, and became so discouraged that they requested the former pastor to disband the class and not report it to the conference;  but as a wise Shepard, he declined to do so.  I commenced a meeting there last October to rally the membership, which was a grand success. The power of God was manifested, and many hearts were made happy. After a siege of three weeks, repairs began, and the old house was completely modernized at a cost of $450.  An antique oak case Epworth Organ (retail price of $102) was placed in it:  and on Sunday, Feb. 6 at the reopening, the people subscribed a sufficient amount to pay the balance due on the repairs, pay for the new organ, and a liberal margin remaining.  Rev. P.H. Wagoner aided in the dedication services.  Now old Long Point Chapel, with its class of forty members has taken on new life and strength to go forward in the masters work.  Washington Church has also been repainted and papered, and is as bright as new.
Samuel Wills
This information was transcribed from The Happy Hunter, Cumberland County Genealogy Society, Greenup, Illinois;  April, 1968, Vol 3, Issue 2, pg. 21. It had originally been “copied from an old newspaper signed by Samuel Wills, no date” Contributed by Brenda Duckworth

CORNER STONE LAYING, 1923

     Last Sunday was a day long to be remembered among the members of the Long Point United Brethren Church.  Two years ago Rev. T.W. Seitzinger began a movement for the erection of a new church, but for some cause or another, the progress of the movement ceased. After the Rev. T. H. Decker came to the charge last autumn, the enterprise was revived and now the new church is actually under headway.  The basement is in, the foundation laid and the laying of the brick begun.  Last Sunday afternoon the Rev George N. Myers in the absence of Conference Superintendent Arbogast, who was appointed by him officiated at the laying of the corner stone.   He was ably assisted by the pastor, Rev. Decker, and by the members of the official board. Mr. C.C. Fancher and Mr. James Walling assisted as honorary members.  The old church was erected 70 years ago, in 1853.  Only two persons were present who were present when the old church was dedicated.  They were C.C. Fancher and Hugh Lacey. 
     The meeting was not well announced, but a representative audience was present. About 200 dollars or more in additional pledges was secured.  The church will be a beauty-one  of which the people of Casey and vicinity will be justly proud. 
     Rev. Myers addressed the crowd briefly from the text “Go and do all that is in they heart; for Jehovah, thy God, is with thee”  I Samuel, 7:3.  All Those who are interested in moral and spiritual progression, whether a member of the church or not, would be proud to have the opportunity of assisting in this worthy enterprise. 

History written by …?.. Lacey
Typed by Martha ….?….


Transcribed from
The Happy Hunter, Cumberland County Genealogy Society; Greenup, Illinois;  April 1968, Vol. 3, Issue 2, page 21. Contributed by Brenda Duckworth


LIST OF THE MEMBERS OF THE LONG POINT CHAPEL





Return To The Main Cumberland County Page