TOLEDO CITY AND SUMPTER  TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

The following Biographies was transcribed by Barbara Moksnes from
  The Book "Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois"
Originally Published 1884 F.A. Battey & Co.


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES


JOHN F. ASHWILL, Farmer and deputy sheriff of Cumberland County, was born in Delaware County, Ohio January 11, 1855; son of Robert and Mary J. [White] Ashwill, is the oldest in a family of nine children, and is of English-German origin.  The parents of Mr. Ashwill came to Cumberland County from Ohio in 1866, remained one year, and then moved to Wilson County, Kansas.  They still reside there.  When the subject of this notice was eleven years of age he came to Cumberland County with his parents; he went to Kansas with them and remained until 1873, when he returned to Cumberland County, Illinois and here he has since resided.  The life of Mr. Ashwill in Kansas was that of a farmer.  He was married September 25, 1882 to Miss Viola Decius, daughter of Judge H.B. Decius and Harriet Decius.  Mrs. Ashwill was born in Toledo, Illinois.  Her parents were among the most prominent citizens of Cumberland County.  To this union has been born one child, Viz.: Orren.  The same is deceased; died July 30, 1883.  Politically, Mr. Ashwill is a Republican; cast his first Presidential vote for Hayes.  In January 1878, Mr. Ashwill was appointed deputy sheriff of Cumberland County.  This position he still retains; is a member of the I. O. O. F., Toledo Lodge, No. 355.  Mr. Ashwill owns 330 acres of good land in close proximity to Toledo; he is of an industrious, enterprising spirit, in good circumstances, and one of the most influential young men of Cumberland County.

J.B. ATCHISON, Attorney-at-law, is a native of Ireland.  From the most reliable information that can be obtained is drawn the conclusion, that the subject of our notice was born in 1853.  His early life is not well known and seems to him as legendary.  When very young he left his native country in company with his parents for America.  During the voyage his father died and was followed in death by his mother soon after reaching New York City.  After the death of his mother he was placed in the Children’s Home in the Metropolis.  In the fall of 1859 he was sent as one of a large number of friendless children from New York City to Danville, Illinois, and given a temporary home in the family of Rev. Kingsberry, a Presbyterian divine.  This clergyman was then preaching at Neoga, Cumberland County, Ill., and soon succeeded in securing a home for the subject of this mention in the family of a man who lived about five miles from Neoga by the name of Johnson, and with whom lived only a short time when he went to live with Mr. And Mrs. Nathan Gould, and in whose family he stayed until he was eighteen years of age, when he began the scenes of life for himself; worked on a farm in the summer and attended school in the log school house during the cold months.  During the winter of 1872-73, he taught his first school.  The same was at Brown’s schoolhouse in Cottonwood Township.  For a number of years he taught school.  In 1875, he began the study of law at Toledo, Cumberland County, in the office of Logan & Scranton; was admitted to the Bar in September 1876.  He is now a partner in the law business with Judge L. L. Logan, and is enjoying extensive practice.  He was married July 2, 1875, to Miss Minnie M. Myler.  To the marriage has been born four children, viz.:  Dora B., Arthur A., Lula C., and Jennie I.  The subject of our sketch is a thorough Republican and one of the most prominent young lawyers of his judicial district.

HON. THOMAS BREWER is a native of Wayne County, Indiana, was the fourth in a family of nine children, and was born November 19, 1819, son of William and Jane [McNight] Brewer, and is the Scotch-English extraction.  The parents of Mr. Brewer were of North Carolina birth.  In 1838, they emigrated to Coles [now Cumberland] County, Illinois, and settled five miles north of Greenup.  In this county the parents of Mr. Brewer died, mother in 1845 and father in 1874.  The father of the subject of our notice was one of the prominent men and pioneers of Cumberland County.  When the nineteenth birthday of Mr. Brewer came around it found him hard at work, and earning his own way through life and working for himself.  The first year he worked by the month on a farm.  The marriage of Mr. Brewer was solemnized September 9, 1844, to Miss Mary Hutton.  To this union was born nine children, viz.: George, William, Levi N., Sarah E., John W., Mary L., Harriet J., Melvin and Thomas.  Mrs. Brewer died in November 1865.  Two years later, Mr. Brewer was married to Mrs. Sarah E. Kirkling, who was a sister of his first wife.  Four years from this time, Mrs. Brewer died.  In January 1873, he was married to his present wife, a Mrs. Mary Smith, whose maiden name was Bloxom.  They have had four children, viz.:  an infant that died unnamed, Bell, Lucretia B., and Walter.  The subject of our notice is a thorough Democrat.  In 1846 he was elected Justice of the Peace.  In 1848 he was County Coroner, and was elected Associate Judge in 1849.  In 1853 he was elected Sheriff of the county.  In 1855 he began practicing law in Greenup, in partnership with E. H. Starkweather.  In 1867 he came to Toldeo, and has been in active practice since, save two years.  In 1857 he represented the counties of Cumberland and Shelby in the Lower House of the State General Assembly.  In 1872, he was elected to the State Senate from Cumberland, Shelby, and Effingham counties.  For thirty years he has been active in politics, and was nominated for congress in 1868.  Mr. Brewer has long been known as one of the prominent men of eastern Illinois; was a warm personal friend of Stephen A. Douglas.  He is one of the pioneers of this county.  Has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for thirty- five years.  History is incomplete without a notice of this noble and charitable man.  His works do follow him.

LEVI N. BREWER , Attorney-at-law , was born in Cumberland County, Illinois, January 28, 1850, is the son of Hon. Thomas and Mary [Hutton] Brewer, is the third in a family of nine children, and of Scotch-English descent.  Mr. Brewer began the labors of life for himself when he was twenty years of age, carrying on farming for a number of years.  In 1873, he began the study of law in the office of Judge H. B. Decius; was admitted to practice at the Cumberland County Bar in 1876, and at once formed a partnership with Judge Decius.  The partnership lasted until 1878, when he formed a partnership with his father, which existed until 1881, since which time Mr. Brewer has been alone in the practice.  He was married in March 1870, to Miss Eliza A..Vandyke daughter of John and Margaret Vandyke.  Mrs. Brewer is also a native of Cumberland County, Illinois.  They have six children, three boys and three girls, viz.: Nellie, Mollie, Carrie, John, Thomas, and Golden.  Mr. Brewer is a Democrat.  He has more than an ordinary education; is of an enterprising spirit, and one of the first lawyers in Cumberland County, and one of Toledo’s most prominent citizens.  The prospects of Mr. Brewer as a lawyer and a politician are most brilliant.

WILLIAM L. BRUSTER, Circuit Clerk, is a native of Coles County, Illinois, born December 10, 1849, son of David and Elizabeth [Glenn] Bruster, the oldest in a family of two children, and is of German-Irish lineage.  After the death of the mother of the subject of our notice, in 1856, he came to Cumberland County, Illinois and for a time he lived with and worked for an uncle.  In 1856, Mr. Bruster came to Prairie City [ Now Toledo] and for two years his time was divided between attending the common district school and clerking in his father’s store.  In 1871 he became a partner in general merchandising with his father.  The marriage of Mr. Bruster occurred June 18, 1868, to Miss Sarah E. Brewer, daughter of Hon. Thomas and Mary Brewer.  Mrs. Bruster is a native of Cumberland County, Illinois..To this union has been born four children, viz., Mollie E., Hattie M., Nettie G., and Georgia.  Of these children, the two oldest are deceased.  Mollie E. died in 1872 and Hattie M. two years later.  Mr. Bruster is a thorough Democrat and is one of the most prominent of his party in Cumberland County.  In 1876, he was elected Circuit Clerk, and four years later he was re-elected to the same office.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity; was made such in 1870 and has been Worshipful Master at Prairie Center Lodge for four years.  In 1875 Mr. Bruster erected his present residence in Toledo and the same does much credit to the town.  Mrs. Bruster is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  In point of public spirit and enterprise there are none in the county that surpass Mr. Bruster.  For twenty years he has been an active politician, and each year he grows stronger in his party.  As a county official his ability and trust are unquestioned.  He is an honorable man and a citizen of sterling merit.

JOHN E. CHAMBERS, M. D., was born in Owen County, Indiana, October 8, 1850, son of Isaac and Martha A. [Dunn] Chambers, is the second in a family of three children, and is of Scotch-English lineage.  Dr. Chambers worked at home on the farm until he was twenty-two years of age.  His literary education was continued to the common district schools of Owen County, and the State University at Bloomington, Indiana.  In 1874, Dr. Chambers began studying medicine in the office of Sr. J. M. Stuckey, at Gosport, Indiana.  In the fall of 1874, he entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and attended that Institution from 1874 until March 1877, when he graduated with honors.  After his graduation he began the practice of his profession in Owen County, Indiana; practiced for eighteen months and then entered the Missouri Medical College at Saint Louis, receiving from that Institution March 1879, the ad eundem degree of graduation.  During the next year he was in Philadelphia preparing for an examination before the Marine Hospital Board, but was taken ill, and deprived of the examination.  In the fall of 1880, he began practicing at Spencer, Indiana,  there remained until March 1882, when he came to Toledo.  Here he has since resided and has succeeded in the practice.  He is a Democrat; is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and the Knights Of Pythias.  He is one of the best read physicians in southern Illinois and a most thorough gentleman.  The medical outlook of Mr. Chambers is far beyond average, and much prominence awaits him.


DANIEL F. CHAPMAN, M.D., is a native of Cook County, Illinois, born on Lake Erie, March 15, 1844, son of C.C. and Nancy [Lucas] Chapman, is the third in a family of seven children, and is of English Descent.  His parents were born in Massachusetts.  They came to Chicago in 1844, and there resided until their death.  His mother died in 1865 and his father in 1874.  His father was a Captain in the war of 1812.  The literary education of the subject of this mention was continued in the public schools of Chicago, in an early day, and the Wheaton Academy, at Wheaton, Illinois, graduating from the latter in 1860.  In 1863, he began reading medicine in Springfield, Illinois, in the office of Dr. Henry Wohlgarmoth.  In May 1869, he graduated from the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati.  Previous to his graduation he practiced his profession at Springfield, Illinois about two years.  In 1867 he came to Toledo and continued his practice [save the time he spent at Cincinnati] until 1881, when he retired from the practice.  As a physician he was very successful.  He was married June 15, 1871, to Miss Kittie Miles.  Mrs. Chapman was born in Terre Haute, Indiana.  They have had three children, viz; Charles C., Nettie and Ura.  The first is deceased.  He is a Democrat.  Owns 1,970 acres of good land.  Dr. Chapman now engages himself in superintending his farm, and dealing in stock.  He is one of the most enterprising men in Cumberland County, and one of it’s leading citizens.  Mrs. Chapman is a most amiable woman.  In 1882 she was a candidate before the Republican Convention for County Superintendent of the schools of Cumberland County. 

LEWIS DECIUS, attorney-at-law, and cousin of the Hon. H.B. Decius, was born February 17, 1856 in Coshocton County, Ohio, and is the son of Cornelius and Catherine [Davis] Decius.  His grandfather, Frederic Decius, was born in Hanover, Germany.  He served as a physician and surgeon in the Hessian army.  The father of the subject of this mention was born in Luray Valley, Virginia, and his mother is a native of Morgan County, Ohio. The parents of Mr. Decius left Ohio in 1881, and emigrated to Nebraska, where they still reside.  The education of Mr. Decius, as far as schooling is concerned, was confined to the advantages given at the academies of Roscoe and Coshocton, Ohio.  He taught his first school in the winter of 1877-78, at Walbonding, Ohio.  In 1881 he came to Cumberland County, Illinois and has since continues his profession of teaching.  He has been principal of the Toledo and Jewett public schools, and is at present principal of the Greenup schools.  In 1881, he began the study of law in the office of Decius & Everhart, at Toledo; was admitted to the bar in 1883.  Politically he is a Republican.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, made such in 1883.  He is the third in a family of five boys.  As a teacher, he has been successful, none standing higher in the county.  As a student, he is persistent and untiring. That which Mr. Decuis possesses, in all particulars, he has gained through his own energy and efforts.  The professional outlook of Mr. Decius is most promising.  He is the senior member of the law firm known as Decius & Miller.

WILLIAM T. DEPPEN, farmer and stock-dealer, was born in Millville, Ohio, July 30, 1853, son of Hiram and Ellen J.[ Evans] Deppen, and is of Dutch-Welsh lineage.  The father of Mr. Deppen was born in Pennsylvania and his mother in Ohio.  When the subject of this notice was nineteen years of age, he began the trials of life for himself.  In 1865 he came to Cumberland County, Illinois, and settled one and a half miles southwest of Toledo.  Here he still resides.  He now owns 165 acres of good land, 104 acres of which are moderately well improved.  Since he was nineteen years of age he has been engaged in trading in hogs, cattle, sheep, etc., and was one of the members of the firm of McCandlish & Company in the pork-packing in Cumberland County.  Politically he is a Democrat, and has served two terms as Township Collector; has taken an active part in politics.  Mr. Deppen is blessed with a fair common school education.  He is one of the most enterprising young men in Cumberland County.  what Mr. Deppen has, he has gained through his own efforts; commenced life with nothing, and has been successful thus far.  He is a prominent citizen, and a pleasant gentleman.  Life prospects for Mr. Deppen are quite flattering, and he already enjoys an enviable reputation.  ‘Tis uncommon for one, so young in years to possess such a charitable spirit.

W. S. EVERHART, attorney-at-law, is a native of the Buckeye State, born November 18, 1850, at Leesburg, Highland County, is a son of Captain Phillip and Susanna [Staley] Everhart, is the elder in a family of two children and comes from German blood.  The father of Mr. Everhart was born in Jefferson County, Ohio March 18, 1824, and his mother was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania May 6, 1827.  The Everhart family has always been loyal to the cause of American Independence and perfect freedom to general humanity.  His paternal grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary and 1812 wars, and his grandfather Staley was also a soldier in the latter.  The father of the subject of this notice enlisted in the United States army in the fall of 1861, in Company C, Fifty-First Ohio Volunteers, as a private.  Soon after his enlistment he was commissioned Second-Lieutenant, the First, and afterwards Captain of Company C, which position he retained until his discharge in the spring of 1865.  He withstood the hardships and privations of army life for more than four years; was severely wounded at the battle of Stone River.  Captain Everhart now resides in Neoga, Cumberland County, Illinois, and is one of the leading citizens of the county.  He still possesses his patriotic spirit, and is in every sense a noble man.  The subject of our notice emigrated with his parents in 1866, from Ohio to Shelby County, Illinois, where the family remained for a short time, or until 1868, when they came to Cumberland County.  Mr. Everhart remained at home until September 1871, when he entered the Illinois University at Urbana, Illinois, where he remained until June 1875, when he graduated with honors from the institution, and then came to Neoga where his parents lived.  In September 1875, he commenced the study of law in the office of Hon. H.B. Decius, at what was then known as Prairie City, now known as Toledo.  In January 1878 he was admitted to the Bar, and in March following he formed a partnership with H.B. Decius, which continued until his death, which occurred September 8, 1882.  since the death of Judge Decius, Mr. Everhart has been alone in the law business, but in the psring of 1883 he formed a partnership with William T. Bruster, in real estate and loan business.  In January 1883, he was admitted to the practice in the United States District Court of southern Illinois.  Politically the subject of this notice is a stanch Republican, always advocating the principles of that party.  He is an eminent man, and already stands at the head of his profession. 

DR. J.W. GOODWIN, County Treasurer, is a native of Putnam County, Indiana, born August 22, 1844, son of J.C. and Evalina (Johnson) Goodwin, is next to the youngest in a family of seven children, and is of German extraction. the parents of Dr. Goodwin were natives of Kentucky, and left the State in childhood. They left “Old Kaintuck” with their parents and went
to Clark County, Indiana. where they were matrimonially bound, afterward removed to Putnam County, Indiana. In 1855 the came to Jasper County, Illinois. The mother of Dr. Goodwin died in Putnam County, Indiana, in 1852, and his father in Jasper County, Illinois in 1872. The subject of our sketch was given the privileges of the common district schools of Illinois. At eighteen years of age he began teaching school, and about the same time began reading medicine. During the winter of 1868-69 he attended Eclective Medical  Institute at Cincinnati, and in the spring of 1869 began the practice of his profession at Greenup, Cumberland County, Illinois. He continued in active and successful practice for twelve years. The marriage of Dr. Goodwin  took place March 27, 1869, to Miss Martha J. Davee, daughter of Z.W. Davee and Elizabeth Davee.  They have had six children, viz.: Elizabeth E., Willard L., Charles O., Lulu M., Lena P. and Raymond D. Mrs. Goodwin died February 6, 1883. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a most amiable woman. Dr. Goodwin is a stanch Republican. In 1877 he was elected Treasurer of Cumberland County, was re-elected in 1879 and elected again in 1881 to serve four years.  Notwithstanding the fact that Cumberland County is about two hundred Democratic, the majority of Dr. Goodwin, in 1877, was 144, in 1879, 240, and in 1881, 137. Dr. Goodwin is one of the most energetic men of Cumberland County, and one of it’s most valued citizens. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and now resides in Toledo. (For More Information on this family email) Barb Z.

DAVID B. GREEN, attorney-at-law, is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, born October 8, 1829, son of James and Mary A. [Babb] Green, is the second in a family of ten children, and is of English-Irish extraction.  The father of Mr. Green was born in Richmond, VA., and his mother in Ohio.  The great-grandfather of Mr. Green was old Nathaniel Green of Revolutionary fame.  The grandfather of Mr. Green was a Captain in the war of 1812.  In1834 the subject of this notice came from Ohio via Maysville, KY., with his father to Coles County, Illinois.  His father raised blooded horses in Ohio, and brought three horses and a jack to Illinois with him.  From Maysville, KY., to Charleston, Coles County, Illinois, the subject of this notice rode the jack.  The father of Mr. Green died in Cumberland County in 1845, and his mother in 1882, in Toledo.  In 1834 Mr. Green came to this county and has resided here ever since.  In 1866 he came to Toledo, and here now lives.  He was married January 26, 1854, to Miss Lucy E. Starkweather.  Mrs. Green was born in Vermont.  They have had eight children, viz.: Anna M., Alice A. [deceased], Florence N., Elisha J., Lucy V., James C., Isidore N., and Harriet E.  In 1858 he began the study of the law.  Under the instruction of Judge Hiram B. Decius and Hon. Thomas Brewer, and was admitted to the Bar in 1862; has been in active practice ever since.  For many years Mr. Green was the most extensive landowner in Cumberland County, and now owns about seven hundred acres, five hundred acres of which are improved.  Mr. Green has made his own way in life.  As an advocate he has been very successful, and is yet one of the prominent lawyers in eastern Illinois.  He is a Republican, is a man of much force of character, and an influential citizen.

HENRY W. GREEN, ex-sheriff and farmer, was born in Washington County, Kentucky, July 8, 1827, son of James and Nancy [Warren] Green, is the fifth in a family of eleven children, and is of Scotch descent.  His father was a native of Maryland and his mother still resides in that state.  His father was a soldier in the war of 1812.  In 1847 the subject of this notice enlisted in Company I, Fourth Kentucky Volunteers, of the war between the United States and Mexico; was discharged at Louisville, KY., in 1848.  He was married to Miss Margaret McAllister, August 15, 1849.  They had one child, viz.: Francis A.  MRS. Green died May, 1851.  Mr. Green was next married in October, 1852, to America J. White.  They had three children, viz.: Adaline, Joseph B., and Lewis.  Mrs. Green died October 1857.  His third marriage occurred in 1859 to Mrs. Hulda Moore.  Mrs. Green was deceased in October 1870.  His last marriage took place in July 1871 to Mrs. Hattie E. Munford.  In 1852 Mr. Green emigrated from Kentucky to Morgan County, Indiana, and there remained six years and then came to Cumberland County, Illinois, and settled in Greenup Township, and there he lived some time.  In 1870 he came to Toledo: now resides here.  He is a Democrat.  In 1872 he was elected Sheriff of Cumberland County: was re-elected in 1877.  Was deputy Sheriff in 1870 and 1871.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  Mr. Green is a self made man in every particular; now owns four hundred acres of well improved land; has made his own way in life.  Since the expiration of his term in office he has given his attention to farming.  He is a leading citizen and an influential man.  Success has attended him.

JOHN GREEN, farmer, post-office Toledo, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, January 15, 1832, and when eight years old came with his parents to Cumberland County, Illinois, his father having entered 200 acres of land near Toledo, which is still owned by his heirs.  Our subject was raised to hard work on the home farm, shared the hardships of pioneer life, and had poor school advantages, but by home study during his leisure hours, he acquired a fair education.  In December 5, 1858, he married Ann M. Gardner, who has borne her husband four children, viz; William, Alice F., John D., and Lewis F. [deceased].  After his marriage, he first rented a farm then bought forty acres of land.  He has always been a farmer, and been very successful, now owning 400 acres of land.  His prosperous condition is the result of his industry and strict economy.  He is engaged in stock raising, having every convenience for that purpose.  His farms are well stocked with sheep, etc.  Mr. Green has held various political positions, among which are Constable, Deputy Sheriff, Commissioner of Highways and School Trustee.  He is public spirited, and contributes liberally to all religious matters and benevolent institutions.

CHARLES HANKER, furniture dealer, is a native of Wittenberg, Germany, born May 4, 1843, the son of Charles W. and Christina [Thieme] Hanker, is the youngest in a family of four children and of German descent.  The father of Mr. Hanker was born in Saxony, Germany and his mother in Prussia.  In 1863 his parents started to America.  His mother died while crossing the Atlantic.  His father settled in Saint Clair County, Illinois.  There he died in 1865.  In 1867 the subject of this mention came to Toledo, Cumberland County, and here has since lived.  While he was in Saint Clair County he served an apprenticeship of three years of cabinet making.  Upon the arrival of Mr. Hanker in Toledo he began the furniture business.  Has been successful in business.  Is the pioneer furniture dealer in Toledo.  He was married July 10, 1869 to Miss Malonia Struz.  Mrs. Hanker is also a native of Germany.  Came to America when two years of age.  They have four children, viz: Lena, Bertha, William and Frederick.  Mr. Hanker is a Republican; has been a member of the Town Council; is President of the Loan and Building Association; is a member of the I.O.O.F.; joined in 1868, Toledo odge No. 855.  Mr. Hanker is one of the most enterprising men of Toledo.  He came to the town in very limited circumstances, but is now worth about $10,000.  He is a thorough gentleman and a most honorable citizen.  Mr. Hanker is building a brick block 110x80 feet, three stories high, which will cost at least $8,000.  It will be the finest block in the town.  Mr. Hanker is one of the most energetic men in Cumberland County, and is thoroughly known for his honesty and uprightness. 

F. J. HEID, railway agent at Toledo, was born in Pekin, Ill., June 8, 1863, is the son of Conrad and Magdalena [Herring] Heid, the eldest in a family of four children, and is of German Descent.  The father of Mr. Heid was born in Heidelberg, Germany and his mother at Worms, on the river Rhine, in the same country.  In 1849 his parents came to America and settled at Pekin, Ill., and here his father died December 1880.  His mother still resides at Pekin.  The subject of this mention opened the scenes of life for himself by first clerking in a hardware store in Pekin, in May, 1877.  There he remained more than three years.  In September 1880, he began learning telegraphy in the P.D.E. Railway office at Pekin.  In April 1881, he came to Toledo and has since been railway agent and telegraph operator for the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway Company; also represents the Pacific Express Company.  Politically he is a Democrat.  He is one of the enterprising young business men of Toledo; has a good business education and is an honorable gentleman; has an interest in the Cumberland County Agricultural Association, And the Cumberland County Building and Loan Association.  He possesses an enterprising spirit and many noble qualities.  

S. C. HOLSAPPLE, Superintendent of the County Poor Farm, was born in Morgan County, Ind., February 21, 1846, son of John and Rebecca [Rinker] Holsapple.  He is of German origin.  His paternal grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier.  In the spring of 1866, the subject of this sketch came to Sumpter Township, Cumberland County, Ill.  Here he has since resided.  In February 1864, he enlisted in the late war, in company E, One Hundred and Forty Eightth Indiana Volunteers, for one year, and was discharged at Nashville, Tenn., September 15,1865.  He was married, February 7, 1866, to Miss Harriet Carrel.  Mrs. Holsapple is also a native of Morgan County, Ind.  To this union has been born six children, viz: Flora B.,  Rebecca A.., John W., Levi F., Mary A., and Julia A.  Two are deceased.  He is a Republican.  In 1872, he was appointed Superintendent of the County Poor Farm; served one year.  In 1877, he again took possession of the County Farm, and this position he has since been retained.  Under his administration the farm has been successfully managed.  He is a member of the Independent Order of the Odd-Fellows, Toledo Lodge No. 355.  Mr. and Mrs. Holsapple are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He now owns a god farm; has a good common school education, is an honorable citizen and a highly respected gentleman.  The management of the County Farm could not be placed in more competent hands. 

ALEX. HUGHES, manufacturer of tinware and wholesale dealer of notions, was born in Highland County, Ohio, December 13, 1842; is the son of Richard T. and C.E. [Keys] Hughes, and is of Irish descent.  The father of Mr. Hughes was born in Kentucky, and his mother in Pennsylvania.  In 1852, they came to Clinton County, Ill., and there his father entered land, and in that county his mother died in 1855, and his father died in Effingham County, Ill., in 1877.  When the subject of this notice was thirteen years of age, he began the scenes of life for himself.  For two years he was engaged in herding cattle in central Illinois and northern Indiana.  In 1857, he began learning the tinners’ trade at Terre Haute, Ind., in the store of G.F. and C.C. Smith.  Here he served his apprenticeship of four years.  In April 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, for three months.  He then re-enlisted in Company F, Thirty-Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, at Saint Louis, Mo., served three years; discharged in September 1864.  He enlisted again in Company K, One Hundred and fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; discharged in 1867, at Atlanta, Ga.  He has held three commissions and three non-commisioned offices.  He was first wounded at the battle of Chickamauga; received four other wounds.  In 1875 Mr. Hughes came to Toledo.  He was married May 9, 1868 to Mary E. Keys.  Mrs. Hughes was born at Columbus, Ohio.  They have two children, viz; Maud S. and Flora.  He is a thorough Republican; cast his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.  Mr. Hughes is engaged in the wholesale tinware and notions business, and manufactures his own tinware; has employed five men.  When he came to Toledo he was in very limited circumstances, but is now worth about $6000.  He has made his own way in life.  He is a good and brave soldier, is of an enterprising spirit, and one of the leading citizens of Cumberland County.

WESTERN R. HUMPHREY, druggist, was born at Westport, KY., March 30, 1828, is the son of John M. and Frances [Nay] Humphrey, the eldest in a family of six children, and is of Scotch- German descent.  His parents were born in Kentucky, and his grandparents on both sides were natives of Virginia.  The Humphrey’s originally came from Scotland.  In 1829, the parents of the subject of this notice removed from Kentucky to Washington County, Ill.  Here they remained until 1832, when they emigrated to Edgar County, Ill., there they remained four years, removing then to Clark County, Ill.  In 1858, they came to Cumberland County, and settled northwest of Toledo.  Here his father still resides.  In 1857 Mr. Humphrey came to Cumberland County from Livingston County, MO., where he has resided four years.  The early life of Mr. Humphrey was that of a farmer principally; taught school a number of winters.  He is a Republican; cast his first Presidential vote for Lincoln.  In 1873, he was elected Clerk of Cumberland County.  The county was at that time 400 Democrat, but he was received 124 majority.  He enlisted in his country’s cause, August 7, 1862, in Company H, One Hundred and Twenty-Third Illinois Volunteers, and served until the close of the war; was promoted to the position of Quartermaster-Sergeant in 1863.  This position he held until the war ended.  He was married September 23, 1852, to P. Ann Daughty, of Casey, Ill.  Mrs. Humphrey was born in Morgan County, Ind.  They have had these children, viz; Fannie J., Floretta A., John M., Rosa M., Laura A., and Charles A. W.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  He is now engaged in the drug business, in partnership with J.A. Conner.  He is of an enterprising spirit; has 245 acres of improved land.  He is a citizen of sterling worth, and an influential man.  Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey are members of the Christian Church.  He is one of the most accurate accountants and best penmen that the county has ever had.

D.D. JUDSON, farmer, was born in Delaware County, N.Y., February 5, 1832, is the son of William and Margaret [Bouk] Judson, the eldest in a family of seven children, and is of Yankee-German origin.  His father was born in Connecticut, and his mother in the Empire State.  His mother died in 1844, and his father died in New York, in 1881.  He was married, March 24, 1858, to Miss Sarah Hickle.  Mrs. Judson was also born in Delaware County, Ohio.  They have two children, viz; Mary A.. and  William.  In 1853, he came to Sumpter Township, Cumberland County, Illinois, and settled five miles northeast of the county-seat, where he has since resided.  He first bought forty acres; now owns about 300 acres of good land; has a good residence, built in 1883.  He is a Democrat, and served two terms as Township Supervisor.  Mr. and Mrs. Judson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He is one of the leading farmers of Sumpter Township, and a most honorable citizen.  He was thrown upon his own resources at thirteen years of age, and since that time he has striven for himself.  Through energy and perseverance he has been successful.


CAPTAIN ANDREW J. LEE, postmaster, was born in Monroe County, Indiana, June 11, 1829, is the son of John W. and Effie K.[ Hester] Lee, the third in a family of nine children, and is of German-Irish origin.  The Lee family has long been known in America.  Mr. Lee’s paternal grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.  The father of Mr. Lee was Col. John W. Lee, who was born in South Carolina.  His mother was born in Indiana.  In 1864, Mr. Lee came to Cumberland County, Ill., and settled in Toledo, and here he has since resided.  The education of Mr. Lee is far beyond average.  It was confined, however, to the common district schools of Indiana, the Indiana State University at Bloomington, and Asbury University at Greencastle, Indiana.  He graduated from the law department of the State University in 1858.  In August 1852, the subject of our notice enlisted in his country’s cause, in Company E, Fifty-Fourth Indiana Volunteers.  In 1862 he was commissioned Captain of his Company; was honorably discharged.  Mr. Lee was married October 25, 1868, to Miss Mary J. Rader, daughter of Lewis and Emily Rader.  They had two children, viz; Thomas J. and John L.[deceased].  Mr. Lee is a radical Republican.  He was commissioned postmaster at Toledo in 1877.  The position he still retains.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  He is a thorough gentleman and an honorable citizen. 

GUY M. LEMEN, County Clerk, was born in Madison County, Illinois, June 27, 1848, is the son of Joseph L. and Caroline S.[Marney] Lemon, the fifth in a family of eight children and is of Scotch-Irish origin.  The parents of Mr. Lemen were born in Saint Clair County, Illinois.  His ancestors were among the first pioneers of Illinois.  The father of Mr. Lemen died in Madison County, Illinois is 1878.  His mother now resides in Collinsville, Illinois.  The life of Mr. Lemen was that of a farmer previous to his coming to Cumberland County, in 1870.  He was railway agent and telegraph operator at Greenup, this county, for almost twelve years.  In November 1882, he was elected County Clerk of Cumberland County.  He came to Toledo in January 1883.  He was married November 12, 1871, to Miss Mary E. Peters.  Mrs. Lemen was born in Terre Haute, Indiana.  They have had two children, viz; an infant that died unnamed and Platt O.  He is a Republican and a Mason, and also a member of the I.O.O.F.  He is a prominent citizen and an influential man.  The people of Cumberland County could not have imposed their trust in a more honorable or noble man.  Mrs. Lemen is a most amiable woman, and is among the most prominent ladies of Toledo. 

WILLIAM LOGAN, general merchant, is a native of Hendricks County, Indiana, born February 5, 1843, and is the son of Benjamin and Margaret [Butler] Logan.  He is the eighth child in a family of thirteen children, and of German blood.  The parents of Mr. Logan were natives and pioneers of Indiana, and were deceased in that state.  When the sixteenth anniversary of the birth of the subject came round, it found him engaged in learning the blacksmith trade at Clermont, Indiana.  He served an apprenticeship of one year’s duration, and after working for a time at Clermont, he went to Brownsburg, Indiana, and there he continued his trade until August 15, 1862, when he enlisted in Company K, Seventy-ninth Indiana Volunteers.  He was at the battle of Stone River, Chickamauga, and Missouri Ridge, and a score of less important engagements.  He was honorable discharged from the service June 15, 1865.  After returning from the war, he began general merchandising at Fayette, Indiana, where remained only a brief period, and in the fall of 1865 he removed his stock of goods to Toledo, Cumberland County, Illinois.  He is still engaged in the same business, and now is general manager for the firm known as Logan & Brother.  This firm has one of the most complete lines of general merchandise ever carried in Cumberland County.  The subject of this sketch married, September 22, 1869, to Miss Elmyra Eskridge, a native of Cumberland County.  Mrs. Logan was deceased, August 1870, and three years later he was married to Miss Alice M. McCon.  They had one child, viz; Warren E. who is deceased.  Mrs. Logan died in 1875.  Mr. Logan was next married September 11, 1882 to Miss Sarah E. Prather.  Politically he is independent , always voting for the men who in his judgement are the best.  He is a member of the I.O.O.F. , Toledo Lodge No. 355.  He is one of the enterprising men of Cumberland County, and one of the leading merchants.

A. A. LOVINS, Township Supervisor, was born in Shelby County, Illinois, November 27, 1833, the son of J.W. and Mariam [Siler] Lovins, and is of English-German descent.  The parents of Mr. Lovins were born in Tennessee.  His father came to Illinois in 1829, and settled in Shelby County, and there still resides, and is eighty-trhee years old.  The mother of Mr. Lovins died in Shelby County in 1843.  When the subject of this notice was twenty years of age, he began life for himself.  He went to Missouri and settled in Grundy County, and there married, December 27, 1854, to Miss Nancy George.  Mrs. Lovins is a native of Clay County, Illinois; they have nine children, viz; Minnie E., Mary V., Samuel H., Richard V., Mattie D., Sarah O., Ora, William M. and Maud.  Of these children three are deceased.  In 1868, Mr. Lovins came to Cumberland County, and the next year he came to Toledo where he still resides.  He is a Democrat.  In 1869, he was elected County Clerk; served four years.  He was nominated for a second term, receiving four hundred and eighty majority in the convention, but was defeated at the election.  In 1883, he was elected Township Supervisor.  He has been in the hardware business for seven years in Toledo, but is now engaged in the grocery business.  He is one of the most enterprising men in Cumberland County.

JAMES A.. McCANDLISH, sheriff of Cumberland County, is a natice of Perry County, Ohio, born December 8, 1840, son of William and Rebecca [Ross] McCandlish, the second son in a family of five children, and is of Scotch-Irish lineage.  The parents of Mr. McCandlish were both natives of Ohio, and lived in their native state until their death.  His father died in Perry County in 1847, and his mother in the same county in 1874.  In 1866, the subject of this sketch came West and lived in Jasper County, Illinois one year, and then came to Cumberland County and settled in Cottonwood Township.  In August 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fourteenth Ohio Volunteers, at Maxville, Perry County, Ohio, served three years, and was honorably discharged at Columbus, Ohio, August 17, 1865 and mustered out of the service at Houston, Texas.  The marriage of Mr. McCandlish took place September 4, 1869, to Miss Melcenia Johnston, daughter of William and Maria E. Johnston.  Mrs. McCandlish was born in Effingham County, Illinois.  To this marriage has been born four children, viz; Izetta M., Lulu B., William E. and James C.  He is a Republican; first Presidential vote was for Lincoln.  In 1878, he was elected Sheriff of Cumberland County.  He was re-elected in 1880, and elected again in 1882.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and Mrs. McCandlish is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  As an officer, he has fulfilled his whole trust.  As a citizen, he is enterprising and greatly respected.


SAMUEL C. MILLER, County Superintendent and Principal of the Toledo Public Schools, and also a junior member of the law firm Decius & Miller, is a native of Jamestown, New York, born March 14, 1860, the son of Rev. John G. and Margaret [Trousdal] Miller, the fourth in a family of seven children, and is of Scotch-Irish extraction.  The paternal grandfather of Mr. Miller was born in Scotland.   His father was born in I New York; so was his mother.  The parents of Mr. Miller came to Illinois in 1862, and settled in Chicago, where they resided until 1865, when they removed to Neoga, Cumberland County, Illinois.  Here they have since resided, the mother dying here, however, in September, 1881.  The education of Mr. Miller, as far as schooling is concerned, has been confined to the public schools of Neoga, and the Northern Indiana Normal School at Valparaiso.  In 1878, he entered the school at Valparaiso and granduated in the scientific course in 1880.  Centennial year, Mr. Miller taught his first school in Cumberland County, five miles south of Neoga, at the While Hall schoolhouse.  The year 1882-83, he was principal of the public school at Greenup.  In April 1881, he began the study of law in the office of Decius & Everhart, and was admitted to practice in May 1883.  In June, the same year, he formed a partnership with L. Decius.  In November 1882, he was elected County Superintendent of the public schools of Cumberland County, for a term of four years.  He has charge of the Toledo schools.  He is a Republican, having cast his first Presidential vote for Garfield.  Mr. Miller is a Thorough, practical man.  He has made his own way in life.  He has more than an ordinary education, and is one of the most energetic young men of Cumberland County, having already gained an enviable prominence and reputation. 

W.D.MUMFORD, general merchant, was born in Knox County, Ohio, September 13, 1844, is the son of James E. and Margaret [McGinnis] Mumford, the youngest in a family of seven children, five boys and two girls, and is of Irish-Scotch descent.  His father was born in New York and his mother in Pennsylvania.  The maternal grandfather of Mr. Mumford was a soldier in the war of 1812.  The father of Mr. Mumford left New York when a young man and settled in Ohio.  He died in Hardin County, Ohio in 1850.  His mother died in Cumberland County, Illinois in 1872.  The subject of this mention came to Illinois in 1860, and lived a short time in Crawford County.  In 1861, he came to Cumberland County and settled at Toledo, where he has since resided, save one year.  For four years he worked in the printing office of his brother, who was then publishing the Cumberland Expositor.  In 1865, he located at Olney, Illinois, and published the Olney Times.  He remained one year, then returned to Toledo and engaged in the hardware business.  In this he continued seven years, then engaged again in the newspaper business, in partnership with George E. Mason, publishing the Cumberland Democrat, and in 1878 bought the interest of his partner.  Mr. Mumford continued the newspaper business until February 10, 1877, but is now engaged in general merchandising.  He is the senior member of the firm known as Mumford & Tossey, he was married May 10, 1866, to Miss Ella Fletcher, of Hendricks County, Indiana.  To this union has been borne three children, viz; Fletcher, Jennie and Scott.  The last two are deceased.  Mrs. Mumford died February 10, 1877.  He was next married to Miss Almyra Tossey, of Jewett, Illinois, February 4, 1879.  To this union has been born one child, viz; Dorr O.  He is a Democrat, and a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  He is one of the enterprising men of Toledo, and one of its’ most prominent citizens.
W. W. PARK, physician and surgeon, was born at Carlinsville, Illinois, February 17, 1839, and is the son of Dr. E. E. and Susan M. [Wilkins] Park.  He is the third in a large family, and is of English descent.  His parents emigrated from Indiana to Illinois about 1838, and were among the early-comers of the township in which they lived.  His parents both died of cholera in 1849-father while on his way to California, and mother at Greenville, Illinois.  In 1861, the subject of this mention began studying medicine at Greenville, Ill., in the office of Dr. T. S. Brooks.  He enlisted in the cause of his country in October 1862, in Company C, First Ohio Volunteers, served until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged in October 1865.  In 1836,  he was married to Miss Hannah Perry.  Mrs. Parks was born in Posey County, Ind.  They have had four children, viz; Ollie M., Edmund E., Eva M., and William C.  Eva M. is deceased.  In 1867, he began practicing medicine in Loogootee, Illinois.  In 1881, Dr. Park came to Toledo, Ill. From Mount Rose, Effingham county, where he had been for three years.  He is a Democrat, and cast his first Presidential vote for Douglas.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  As a practitioner of medicine he has been successful and is a honorable citizen and a pleasant gentleman.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

T. P. PRATHER, hardware dealer, is a native of Cumberland County, Ill., born May 26, 1857, and is the son of John and Mary[ Ribble] Prather.  He is the youngest in a family of four children, and is of Scotch-German origin.  When the subject of this mention was thirteen years of age, he began the trials of life for himself, working for some time by the month, then farming for two years.  In 1876, he went to Carpentersville, Indiana, and for two years he clerked in a drug store.  In December 1882, he again came to Toledo.  In May, he began the hardware business, having about $4000 invested in the business, and in which he has been successful.  He is a Democrat and cast his first vote for Hancock.  He is of an enterprising spirit, advocating all movements that are for the best interests of the town and county.  He has a good business education, and is a prominent young business man.

J. PUGH, grain and stock dealer, was born in Licking County, Ohio, October 15, 1839, is the son of William and Lydia [ Adams] Pugh, the fourth in a family of five children and is of Scotch-Irish extraction.  The parents of Mr. Pugh were born in Virginia.  When the subject of this mention was about fourteen years of age he came with his parents to Cumberland County, Illinois and settled in Sumpter Township.  Here his father died in 1863.  Mr. Pugh remained at home and worked for his father on the farm until he was twenty-one years of age.  He was married January 22, 1861, to Miss Margaret A. Bloxom.  Mrs. Pugh was born in Clark County, Ind.  They have had five children, viz; Mary J., Albert, Oscar, Serena, and Medora.  Of these children Oscar and Albert are deceased.  Mr. Pugh enlisted in his country’s cause in August 1862, in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois Volunteer [ Mounted ] Infantry, and was honorable discharged in July 1865.  He was wounded October 8, 1862, at the battle of Perryville, Kentucky.  Mr. Pugh has been a resident of Cumberland County ever since 1853.  He is a Republican.  He came to Toledo in 1881, and here he now resides.  Mr. and Mrs. Pugh are members of the United Brethren church.  He is engaged in dealing in stock and grain; has a well improved farm, two and a half miles west of Toledo.  He is one of the old settlers of Cumberland County, and is a man of just principles and fair dealings.  His success in life indicates as much. 

A. J. REEVES, physician and surgeon, is a native of Hancock County, Ind., born June 22, 1851, is the son of B. F. and Caroline [ Harlan] Reeves, is the oldest in a family of ten children, and comes from English extraction.  The paternal parent of Dr. Reeves was born in Ohio, and emigrated to Indiana at a very early day, and is one of the first settlers of Hancock County, Ind.  He is one of the prominent men in the township in which he lives.  He has been Justice of the Peace for seventeen years.  He still resides in that county.  Dr. Reeves worked at home for his father until he has reached his majority, attending school in the winter and laboring on the farm in the summer.  In 1872, Dr. Reeves began reading medicine, under the instruction of Dr. R. A. Smith, at Grant City, Ind.  Here he remained for two years.  The winter of 1873-74 and 1874-75, he attended lectures at the Physic Medical College, at Indianapolis, graduating from that institution February 18, 1874, and in March following, he began the practice of his profession, at Grant City, Ind.  Here he remained about two years, then went to Maple Valley, Ind. And there he remained until May 1882, when he came to Toledo, Ill.  He has been successful in the practice.  He was married February 6, Centennial year, to Adella Farmer, of Cumberland County, Ill.  They have had three children, viz; Ann F., Maggie M., and Benjamin F.  The eldest is deceased.  He is a Democrat; is a member of the Independent Order of Odd-Fellows.  He is one of the prominent physicians of Cumberland County, and is an honorable and pleasant gentleman.

HENRY RHOADS, farmer and hardware dealer, is a native of Muskingum County, Ohio, born January 31, 1824, the son of Abraham and Elizabeth [Slater] Rhoads, the eldest in a family of four children, and is of German, English and Irish descent.; German on his father’s side and a mixture of the English and Irish on his mother’s side.  The father of Mr. Rhoads was born in Pennsylvania, and his mother in Virginia.  His father was soldier in the war of 1812, and was at Hull’s surrender.  When the subject of this notice was five years of age, his parents left Ohio and came to Vermillion County, Ind., and then removed to Coles County, Ill., and there the parents died, father in May 1858 and mother in April 1864.  In 1850 the subject of this sketch came to Cumberland County and settled in Greenup, and began clerking in the store of Brewer & Ficklin.  In 1853, he began the mercantile business in Greenup, and there remained six years, and then came to Toledo; came to this town November 20, 1860, and here has lived ever since.  He was married December 9, 1855, to Miss Margaret E. Shull, daughter of Michael Shull.  Mrs. Rhoads was also born in Ohio.  To this marriage was born five children, viz; Laura, William, John B., Robert S. and Brother, of whom all are deceased except John B.  Mr. Rhoads is a Democrat, and in 1860, was elected Sheriff of Cumberland County.  In 1863, he was elected Treasurer, and in 1866, he was elected Sheriff for a second term.  He has taken an active part in politics.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity; made a Mason about 1871.  In 1881, Mr. Rhoads began the hardware business in Toledo, and this he still continues.  Mr. Rhoads is one of the pioneers of Cumberland County, and one of it’s most respected citizens.  He has many friends but no known enemies.  He is one of those plain, common, everyday kind of men in whom the honest will always find a benefactor. 

LEVI B. ROSS, ex-County Clerk, was born in Cumberland County, Ill., November 14, 1843, is the son of Meredith B. and Christina [Beals] Ross, the third in a family of twelve children, and is of German-English descent.  The father of Mr. Ross was born in Kentucky, and his mother in Pennsylvania.  The maternal grandfather of Mr. Ross was a Major-General in the Black Hawk war.  The parents of Mr. Ross came to Cumberland County in a very early day, and settled in Woodbury Township, near the old town of Woodbury.  In the spring of 1862, the subject of this mention came to Toledo, and here has since remained.  The marriage of Mr. Ross took place May 20, 1866 to Miss Eliza J. Rhoads, daughter of Abraham Rhoads.  Mrs. Ross was born in Coles County, Ill.  They have had five children born to them, viz; Nevada, Lewis B., Lula, Minnie and an infant died unnamed.  Politically, Mr. Ross is a Democrat; cast his first vote for McClellan.  In 1877, he was elected County Clerk; served five years.  He has been deputy county clerk, and deputy circuit clerk, and deputy sheriff.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  In 1881, Mr. Ross engaged in the hay business.  In 1882, he shipped about 800 tons.  He has a farm of 160 acres, two miles northwest of Toledo.  Mr. Ross is one of the pioneers of Cumberland County, having lived in the county continually for forty years.  He is one of the prominent men of Cumberland County.

GEORGE STARGER, proprietor of the Toledo City Mills, is a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, born February 23, 1846, the son of George W. and Dorothea Starger, the third in a family of nine children, and of German descent.  The parents of Mr. Starger were born in Germany.  They died there, mother in 1876 and father in 1880.  His father was enterprising in his nature, and one of the prominent and highly respected men in the community in which he lived.  His business was that of general merchant and trader.  In 1865 the subject of this mention came to America.  After Mr. Starger came to the United States, he worked one year at his trade [that of a miller] in Syracuse, New York, then came to Ripley County, Indiana, remained one year, then went to Cincinnati, and worked three and a half years for one of the greatest millers in Ohio.  He then came to Effingham County, Illinois, remaining three years and six months.  In December 1872, Mr. Starger came to Toledo and rented a half interest in the City Mills for three years, and at the expiration of that time he purchased the latter half.  He is now sole proprietor of the Mills.  Mr. Starger has begun the erection of a new brick mill, 35x40 feet, with an engine room 30x40 feet.  The same will cost about $1,400.  The mill will contain all the modern improvements.  Mr. Starger was married September 23, 1869, to Rachel Marher.  Mrs. Starger was born in Jackson County, Indiana.  They have three children, viz; William, Charles and Mary.  Plitically he is a Democrat.  Mr. and Mrs. Starger are members of the Lutheran Church.  In addition to the milling business, he is engaged in stock dealing.  He is one of the best millers of eastern Illinois, and the Starger Flour is noted far and near for its’ excellent quality.  He is one of the most enterprising men of Cumberland County, and advocated all enterprises that are for the good of the county, and general humanity.  He is an honorable citizen, and one of the leading business men of the county.  In business he has been successful, and has made his own way through life.

JOHN B. TOSSEY, dealer in general merchandising, was born in Toledo, Ill., June 16, 1861, is the son of Stephen D. and Sarah [Graham] Tossey, the fifth in a family of eight children, and is of English-French lineage.  The parents of Mr. Tossey were born in the Buckeye State.  They came to Cumberland County, Sumpter Township, Ill., in 1851.  They were among the first settlers of the township.  The parents died in this county, father in 1873, and mother in 1878.  In 1881, Mr. Tossey began business in Toledo in the drug line, continued the drug business a short time, and then began the business of general merchandising.  He is the junior member of the firm known as Mumford & Tossey.  They keep a complete line of dry goods, Hats, caps, boots, shoes, groceries,etc.  Mr. Tossey has a good business education.  He is a Democrat and a member of the town board of Toledo.  Through energy and prudence he has succeeded.  He is also one of the old settlers of Toledo.  The father of Mr. Tossey served two terms as Circuit Clerk of Cumberland County. 

J. H. YANAWAY, M. D., was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, august 24, 1826, is the son of Henry and Regina [Harter] Yanaway, is the ninth in a family of eleven children, and is of Dutch descent.  The father of Dr. Yanaway was born in Pennsylvania, and his mother in Maryland.  His father died in Ohio, and his mother in Cumberland County, Ill.  In 1864 Dr. Yanaway came to Cumberland County, and settled in Toledo.  Here he still resides.  In 1850 he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. J. F. Dolison, at West Rushville, Ohio.  He attended lectures at Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, began practicing his profession in 1853, and has been in active practice ever since.  He was married July 12, 1855, to Miss Rebecca Haines, at Morgan County, Ohio.  They have five children, viz; Albert H., Mary V., Flora R., William J. and Winnie.  He is a Democrat and has been a member of the Toledo Council.  In 1865, he established a drug store in Toledo.  This was the first regular drug store in Cumberland County.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.  As a practitioner of medicine, he has been successful.  He is an honorable citizen and prominent physician.  In addition to his drug store and comfortable residence in the town of Toledo, he has 209 acres of good land, in close proximity to the town.  Mr. Yanaway is a man quite pronounced in his views, and unyielding in argument until he is thoroughly convinced of his error.

Return To The Main Index