UNION TOWNSHIP BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
The following Biographies was transcribed by Barbara Moksnes from
  The Book "Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland, Illinois"
Originally Published 1884 F.A. Battey & Co.



DENNIS BELL, farmer, was born March 30, 1821, in Randolph County, N.C., and is the son of William and Mary E. Bell, also born in North Carolina.  Dennis was raised on his father’s farm, and there remained until the age of twenty-four, when he married Rachel Mass, who was born in Clark County, Ill., in 1824, and died on this farm in 1854.  They had four children, one living-Irena, wife of William E.  Adams.  His second marriage in 1856, was to Mary Tucker, who was born in 1834, in Indiana, and died in 1857..They have one son, John, now in Kansas.  His third marriage, August 1858, was to Barbara Boswell, of Ohio.  They have four children, viz; David O., Vernon, Andrew M. and Josephine.  At about the age of eleven years his parents came to Rush County, Ind., where they lived four years, then moved to Coles, now Cumberland County, where his father died in 1856, at eighty years of age.  This land was entered by Ambrose Carney.  He now owns 154 acres, all improved, with one of the best houses in the township, built in 1875, at a cost of about $2,200.  His barn was destroyed by fire in October, 1882; cost $500.  His brother, William, was Lieutenant in the One Hundred and Twenty Third Illinois Infantry.  He served throughout the war.

SAMUEL BLACK, of the firm Moore & Black, grist and saw-mill, Diona, was born July 19, 1847, and is the son of Samuel and Mary Black, who were born in Virginia, and followed farming there.  In 1835 he went to Missouri, where soon after he was married.  His parents still live there, engaged in farming.  The subject of this sketch left home at about the age of twenty-two, and carried on farming in Missouri till June 1875, when he moved to Cumberland County, and carried on farming for four years.  In 1879, he bought Mr. Hackett’s interest in this mill, and has since been a member of this firm.  This mill was built in 1875; cost about $7,000.  Its’ capacity is about 4,000 feet of lumber, About seventy-five bushels of corn, and one hundred bushels of wheat per day.  Mr. Black was married January 6, 1876, to Lizzie Gill, who was born in Missouri.  One daughter, Carrie, blesses this union.

NATHANIEL CAPENTER, farmer, was born December 10, 1831, in Delaware County, Ohio, and is the son of James and Maria Carpenter, who emigrated from N.Y. when young.  He was brought up on his fathers’ farm.  When about eighteen years of age, his parents came to this locality, where he has since lived.  His father entered the land where his house now stands.  He died June 3, 1876, aged seventy-six.  His mother died in 1842, aged forty.  The subject of this sketch commenced working at $8 a month.  This money he used paying for the first land he owned-first buying forty acres; he has added as his means would allow, and now owns 360 acres.  This farm is improved, with a good brick house, built in 1874; cost about $1,600; the barn cost $800.  He was married April 9, 1846 to Julia A. Mann.  She was born in Indiana, September 10, 1822.  They had nine children, six living, viz; Sarah J., Hezekiah, William, Deloss, Christina, and Ann.

WILLIAM CLOSSON, farmer, was born March 19, 1833 in Delaware County, Ohio, is the son of David and Martha Closson, natives of Pennsylvania.  His parents came to Cumberland County in 1851, and located in Union Township.  His father died December 26, 1859 aged sixty-five years.  The subject of this sketch was married February 12, 1860, to Lucy McMillan, who was born in Delaware County, Ohio.  They had six children, three living, viz; John D., Alma E., and Mary O.; three children died when young.  After his fathers’ death he secured the homestead by buying out the other heirs.  He afterward sold this property and bought where he now lives.  He now owns three farms of 100 acres each, all under cultivation.  Mr. Closson became a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1864.  Since this time, he has been ruling elder of this church.

LEWIS COLLINS, farmer, born May 7, 1831, in Fairfield County, Ohio, is the son of James and Margaret [Driver] Collins, who emigrated at an early day from Maryland.  His grandparents were natives of Pennsylvania.  His father died in Ohio when Lewis was about thirteen years old.  He continued to live with his mother till the age of eighteen, when he commenced to learn the blacksmith trade, following this business about twenty years.  He then carried on farming about two years.  In 1866, he came to Cumberland County, Ill., located in the Davison farm, and remained there one year; then moved to his present farm.  He first bought sixty acres, and from time to time, added other land, now owning 260 acres.  This farm is located on the direct road to Casey, consequently the most traveled of any others.  He married March 23, 1859, Mrs. Collins, who is also a native of Fairfield county, Ohio.  They have six children, viz; Amy F., wife of Andrew Vankey; Seth Benson, Carrie, Magdalena, wife of Arthur Jennings, Semantha M., and Rebecca E. 

S. W. CUTRIGHT, farmer, was born October 20, 1816, in Ross County, Ohio, and is the son of William and Hannah Cutright who were natives of Virginia.  They emigrated to Ohio in about 1790.  His father served in the Revolutionary War.  The subject of this sketch lived with his parents until about the age of twenty-two, when he worked out by the month about two years.  He was married September 30, 1840, to Miss Elizabeth Brown, who was born in Wheeling, W.Va., July 4, 1824.  They have nine children, viz; Austin, Angeline, now Mrs. Begger; Robert, now keeping the National Hotel at Casey; Elmira, wife of Joseph Mercer; William, Emaline, wife of Samuel Sheeks; George, Harriet, wife of Frank Lacey, and Winfield.  After his marriage he rented a farm and continued farming there about ten years.  In 1849 he came to Cumberland County and leased a farm at Lost Point, where he remained five years on Section 18.  He then moved to Section 9, and there remained five years.  On January 1, 1860, he bought forty acres where his house now stands, and the following February moved to this land, where he has since resided.  He now owns 80 acres.  Soon after coming here he met with the misfortune of losing three horses, which he then could illy afford, but having energy, industry and perseverance he has succeeded in clearing and improving this farm and has placed himself in comfortable circumstances.

LEVI DEVINNEY, retired farmer, was born June 24, 1818, in Berkeley County, W. Va., and is the son of David C., and Mary Devinney, who were natives of Orange County, Va.  There he learned the tanner’s trade, which he followed until the age of forty; then he moved to Licking County, Ohio, and engaged in farming; later removed to Miami County, where he died February 23, 1878.  the subject of this sketch lived with his father in Licking County, Ohio, till 1851, then came to Cumberland County, and bought the Fox farm, consisting of 156 acres.  Two years later he sold that farm and moved to this one, buying 156 ½ acres where their house now stands, and later other lands.  They now own over 300 acres; and it is one of the best farms in the Township.  They are the only farmers in the Township who deal exclusively in fine stock, their cattle being Shorthorns, their hogs Poland China, and their horses of the Norman and Clydesdale stock.  Their farm is improved with buildings, which cost over $2,000; all well fenced.  They also have a scale and scale- house, which cost about $200.  He was married January 1851, to Martha J. Ryan, of Crawford County, Ill.  She died January 22, 1879, aged forty-nine years.  He has one son, David R., who was born March 24, 1853, in Cumberland County, and was married March 2, 1876, to Sarah L. Gill.  She was born in Wayne County, Mo.  They have two children- Harry G. and Eunice P.  David R. Devinney now owns and manages the farm.  Mr. Devinney’s two brothers, Martin L. and David W., served in the late war.  David enlisted as First Sergeant, was afterwards promoted to Captain, and later commissioned Lieutenant Colonel.  He was killed at the Battle of Cedar Creek, in the Shenandoah Valley.

ELIJAH EDWARDS, farmer, born January 31, 1829, in Delaware County, Ohio, is the son of Elijah and Ruth Edwards.  His father was born in N.Y. and his mother in New Jersey.  In 1839 his parents emigrated to Coles [now Cumberland County], and settled in section 3, and were among the earliest settlers of this locality.  His father first entered 80 acres of land, but later bought 80 acres of John Cutright Sr. His father died in 1861, aged seventy-eight years.  The subject of this sketch was married July 1, 1849, to Jane Baumgartner.  She was born in 1835, in Franklin County, Ohio.  They have ten children, viz; Henry, Angeline, wife of Charles Carlin, Sarah, wife of W. H. Decker, Andrew, Theodore, George, Jacob, Elijah Jr., Harrison and Hannah J.  He owns 160 acres, part of which is the land entered and bought by his father.  He was the first Township Commissioner after the organization of the township; held the office three years.

P. W. EDWARDS, merchant, Union Center, was born August 8, 1852, in Union Township, and is the son of Eli and Elizabeth Edwards, who were born in Ohio.  They were among the earliest settlers of Union Township.  His father died December 4, 1879.  The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm, where he lived until the age of twenty-two, when he, with a capital of twenty dollars, started peddling and huckstering; continued at this business for about eighteen months, and not meeting any success he engaged in the show business and continued this about four months.  Meeting with no better success he then, September 1876, traded his team with a spring wagon and about 10 acres of corn, valued at $240, for this store, going in debt at the time $90.  From this small beginning he has worked into a large and flourishing trade.  He has sold as high as $230 per day.  He now carried a stock of about $6,000, and to accommodate his increasing trade he is about erecting a commodious store, 24x80 feet.  This store expects to occupy in 1884.  He was appointed Postmaster in 1881.  He was married in September 1879, to Miss Flora Chancellor, of Coles County.  Two children bless this union- Harvey C. and Elizabeth E. 

T. and S. EMRICH
, are the sons of Phillip and Nancy [Redman] Emrich.  They emigrated from Ross County, Ohio, to Cumberland County, Ill., in the fall of 1848, where they lived about eighteen months, when they moved to Jasper County, remaining there about two years; then returned to Cumberland County, and settled on their present farm, where their father died in March 1875, aged fifty-nine years.  This farm consisted of 300 acres; but since the death of their father it has been divided, and with other lands added, the family now owns 514 acres.  Scott retains the homestead.  Mrs. Emrich still resides at the homestead.  They were married April 2, 1840.  she was born December 24, 1815, in Ross County, Ohio.  This union was blessed with six children, three of whom still survive, viz; Taylor, Winfield, Scott, and Benjamin F.  John was drowned June 17, 1858, aged seventeen years; Mary died in February 1871, aged twenty- eight years; Sarah J. died in November 1849, aged four years.  Taylor is a member of the Universalist Church and one of the Trustees.  Scott is engaged in the Agricultural business in Casey, as well as managing this farm.

NEHEMIAH FANCHER, farmer [post office Greenup], was born in Delaware County, Ohio, August 28, 1833, and when sixteen years old, came with his parents to Cumberland County, Ill.  He was given a good education, and when he attained his majority, his father gave him eighty acres of unimproved land, which he placed under cultivation and improved and attended until 1861, when he enlisted as a Private in Company G, Tenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served forty months, and for merit was promoted to Corporal, and then to Sergeant.  He participated in many of the hard fought battles of the war.  In November 1864, he married Ellen LaDow, of Greenup, daughter of [now] Mrs. Chas. Nisewanger.  At the close of the war he returned to Cumberland County, and re-engaged in farming.  He now owns 250 acres of land on one farm, half a mile from Greenup, and all under cultivation.  His improvements consist of a large, fine brick residence, with a yard decorated with shade and evergreen trees; two large barns; a grainery; a large cow and hog stable, tool and farm implement shed; four wells, a large orchard of three acres of select fruit,etc.  He has shade trees set out along the lines of fences all over his farm.  The farm is well stocked with the best breeds of cattle, horses,etc.  He owns a steam hay press, which he operates on the farm, buying and pressing hay for the market.  In general he has perhaps the finest improved farm in the county, and is himself enterprising and prosperous.  He was a member of the Good Templars organization, and is a strong temperance man.  He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the G.A.R.  In all public improvements, he takes an active part, and is a liberal contributor to all charitable and benevolent movements, and is highly respected by the community.

JAMES GILL, retired farmer, was born February 26, 1798, in Montgomery County, Ky.  In 1814, he crossed the territory, came to Illinois, and located near Palestine, on the Wabash, making temporary quarters in the Fort.  After a short stay, he returned to Kentucky and assisted his father to move.  They at once came to Fort La Motte, afterward Palestine.  His father bought half a section of land, being then the first public sale, the land office being located there.  The family removed to this land and lived there about twenty years.  He was engaged in flat-boating from Vincennes to New Orleans, making one trip a season.  This he continued seven seasons, he making the second trip that ever was made on a flat boat.  He came to where he now lives in 1830.  He first entered a quarter section, afterward bought and entered other lands, and has owned as high as 1,800 acres at one time.  He is one of the most enterprising men of this county.  He built his present house in about 1850, setting an example for his neighbors by building the best one, then is this neighborhood.  He hauled the lumber from York, a distance of forty miles.  Mr. Gill has held many important office,; viz; Justice of the Peace, County Commissioner of Coles County, and was the first County Commissioner of Cumberland County.  His father served in the Revolutionary War, enlisting as a Private, and for meritorious conduct was promoted to Captain, which Commission he held until his death, he drawing a Captain’s pension.  He was born August 27, 1857, in New Jersey, and died near Palestine in 1837.  Our subject was married December 27, 1829, to Diadama Neal, of Kentucky, who died September 16, 1850.  They had six children living, viz; Emily, wife of Samuel P. Reed; Angeline, now Mrs. Conrad; Lucinda, now Mrs. Fulkerson; Nancy, now Mrs. Brooks; Martha, now Mrs. McMorris; John N., now managing this farm.  Hannah died May 11, 1856.  Martin C. served in the Confederate army and died April 13, 1865.  George W. died September 27, 1847.  James T. served in the Union army, and died July 3, 1864. 

JAMES GOSSETT
, farmer, was born May 5, 1833, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and was the son of Luke and Jane Gossett, who were born in Penn.  In 1837, the family came to Coles County, and there engaged in farming.  In 1857, he moved to Cumberland County, and settled on Section 30, Union Township, and there remained till 1863, when he removed to his present farm.  He now owns 180 acres, mostly improved.  He has a very comfortable house, which he built in 1868; cost about $2,000; also other buildings, which cost over $3,000.  He was married in 1857, to Ann E. Roberts, of Delaware County, Ohio.  She was born June 23, 1839; died in 1876.  They had eight children, five living, viz; Clinton M., Luke Lincoln, James C., Augusta J. and Sarah M.  They lost one child in infancy.  Julia A. died August 20, 1883, aged twenty-two; John died in 1876, aged eight months.  Mr. G. is a member of the United Brethren Church of Christ.

NICHOLAS HAUGHN, farmer, was born February 7, 1845, on his present farm.  His father Nicholas Haughn, was a native of Virginia; his mother of Maryland.  His parents were among the earliest settlers of Union Township.  His father entered this land soon after coming here, it consisting of 140 acres, mostly improved.  He died at the advanced age of 104 years.  His mother still lives here and enjoys good health, being now in her seventy-eighth year.  Nicholas was married in 1866, to Margaret Conner, of Pennsylvania.  They have six children, viz; Mary C., Calvin V., Adaline, Daisy, Maude, and Arthur.

G. S. HENDERSON, farmer, born May 4, 1820, in Perry County, Ohio; reared on his father’s farm until the age of twenty-one.  Up to this time, he had received but nineteen and one half days of schooling and eleven nights at school ciphering.  He then married Rebecca Yanaway, of Fairfield County, Ohio.  She died in 1879, aged sixty-one years.  They had four children; three living- Mary J., wife of George Winekoop; James and Andrew.  They are all living in Kansas.  His second marriage was to Mrs. Elizabeth Mathena, a native of England, August 1, 1879.  When he first married, he rented a farm for eight years, and followed teaming several years.  In 1855, he came to Union Township, and settled on his farm at that time 68 acres, and has owned as high as 787 acres.  He now owns 445 acres, over 300 of which are under cultivation.  On November 13, 1882, G. S. Henderson and family started on a tour to relatives in East Albany, N.Y.  They arrived on Wednesday morning, the 15th, much worn out after so long a journey, it being some 850 miles.  On Thursday the day following, Mr. -, his brother in law, started out to visit Albany.  Mr. Henderson, in his published account of the trip, continues the narrative, as follows: We first visited the Archaeological Hall.  Here may be seen everything imaginable that is generally found in a museum.  The greatest sight which came under our special observation was, first a link of the chain that was stretched across the Hudson River, during the Revolution in 1775, to prevent the British from sailing up the river, their intention being to blow up West Point.  Second, we saw a skeleton of one of the largest elephants known.  This was found in Cohoes, a small town in the State, during the excavation for the famous Harmony Knitting Mills, fifty feet below the surface.  Third, was a piece of stone about the size of a large coconut, which has been dripping oil for the past twenty years.  I would like to give a more detailed account of this hall, but time would not permit.  From here we crossed over to the new Capital, and I must not forget to note here that it far exceeded our expectations; from the ground floor, we were carried up by a magnificent elevator to the Governor’s Room, which is magnificent.  Next we visited the Assembly Chamber.  Words are impossible to tell how beautiful it is.  We examined the different corridors, and in one of them may be seen the flags of all the nations and those that were prized during the Revolution; in fact, I could not begin to give a description of this famous building.  A person, to comprehend such a building, and what it is like, has only to see it for himself.  From here we walked about two miles to the Albany Penitentiary, which is considered the hardest prison in the State.  There we were told to register our names, and after payment of 25 cents each, we were accompanied by a guide, who showed us all over the institution; the principle manufactory being shoes, of which they turn out 3,000 pair daily.  We never saw, during our travels, such regularity as we found here.  Much courtesy was shown us by the guide and guards.  There are confined at the present time 830 prisoners.  It being near evening, we made our way home, much pleased with our days’ sport.  Sunday evening, 19th, we took the boat to the Citizens’ Line, called “City Of Troy”, for our journey to New York City, which left Albany at 7:00.  but before going further, I must not forget to mention that the boats of this line are classed as some of the best afloat.  They are fitted up for the comfort of passengers, and also for the transportation of freight.  We reached New York the next morning at 6:00 and, after partaking of breakfast, proceeded to visit all the places of interest, our first place of note being Mr. Vanderbilt’s stables, which are situated on 5th  Avenue, directly in the neighborhood of his elegant mansion.  The horses which we saw were, Early Rose, Bay Dick, small Hope, Light Handy Boy, Leander Boy, and Early Puck, which were some of the finest horses we ever saw.  The stables seemed a paradise beyond description.  From here we started for Central Park.  We took a stroll through the museum, then to the wild animals, camels, ostriches, sea lions, bears, buffaloes, eagles, and monkeys; then saw the monuments of Scott, Burns, Shakespeare, Fitz Green Halleck and Moore, and then the Egyptian obelisk, which is 82 feet high, 100,000 tons in weight, and it's age is some 50 years before Christ, which to our astonishment, exceeded what we expected.  The lake in this park is beautiful and, from our personal observation, it is the largest, prettiest and best laid out park in the country. From here we made our way through the upper part of the city, saw the Grand Central Dept. of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroads, Grand Central Hotel, Wallack’s, Niblo’s, Germania, Bowrey and Globe Theaters; one of the greatest attractions being the Metropolitan Elevated Railroad, which runs in every direction of the city overhead.  We rode on one section of the road, and I will say it is a very comfortable way of traveling.  We then went aboard an ocean steamship of the Inman Line, and examined it all over, and were much please with the elegant and costly way in which the vessel was fitted up.  From here we strolled across town to the bowery, our object being to visit the Atlantic Garden.  From here we went further downtown until we reached Printing House Square, where the buildings of the New York Tribune, Times, Sun, and a large monument of Benjamin Franklin attracted our attention.  Looking to our right we saw City Hall Park, and City Hall, which is, as the rest of the buildings, a very interesting sight.  We there saw the famous Astor Library, and the massive building of the New Jersey Post-office.  From here, we made our way toward Jersey City, which is reached by way of boat across the North River.  Having visited friends-it being Wednesday-we again resumed our travels in New York.  We crossed by way of ferry boat to the city of Brooklyn, our subject being to get a good view of the new suspension bridge which spans the East River, a sight which we would not have missed for anything.  On our return, we started for the Earth Gardens and the Battery.  This is where all immigrants have to go through upon arriving in this country.  There were a great many lying around, principally Dutch.  Again, we started up town in another direction, and examined some prominent buildings through Broadway-A.. T. Stewart’s store, etc; in fact, every building in the city that was worth seeing.  They average from 1- to 12 stories high, and are built of the best material.  I would like to give here a more full account of the city and everything we saw, but time will not permit; in fact, a person could write a whole volume, and then not think of everything.  To say the least, New York City itself is one of the greatest sights I ever saw or expect to see.  It now being evening we started on our journey back to East Albany by way of a boat called the “Saratoga” of the same line by which we came, and as I gave mention of the Hudson River, it is one of the finest and most picturesque rivers in the country.  We arrived at East Albany about 7:30 on Wednesday morning, and on the following morning started by early train for Indianapolis.  My trip from Indianapolis to New York, a distance of about 1,010 miles and return, was a journey which will never be forgotten.  I left New York for home November 23, and took in the Canada side of the famous Niagra Falls and extension bridge.  The view was beautiful-the hillsides covered with moss interspersed with spruce, pine and hemlock.  It was snowing quite briskly when I arrived here-put up for the night, and in the morning as I looked out from the Cliff House I think I never saw a finer sight.  A large mass of falling nature of over half mile in length bent in a crescent slope, with the sun being reflected from it, making all the different shades of the rainbow, impressed me with its great beauty and grandeur.  At 7:20, we left for Buffalo, and the snow- storm still raging but increased in intensity as we crossed the Mohawk River.  A large dam was thrown across the river here, but the water was going “upstream” owing to a very high wind, which was blowing.  We learn that it is one of the most severe storms of this kind ever witnessed there, and houses of every description were almost swept away by the floods.  As we neared Buffalo we were struck by the gale, under which the train swayed to and fro, and at times nearly capsizing us.  This continued until we reached Buffalo.  From Buffalo home, the view of the towns and country along the line of the railroads was fine, and I arrived at home on November 25, and found all well, and realized that in the round trip I had traveled 2,265 miles.

AMOS JENNINGS, farmer, was born December 16, 1833, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, is the son of Solomon and Catherine Jennings, who emigrated to Illinois in 1840.  They settled in what is now Crooked Creek Township, Cumberland County.  The following year his father died, aged thirty years.  His mother again married and moved to Section11, Union Township, in 1842, where the subject of this sketch lived till the age of twenty-five, when he married Martha Stultz.  She was born in Ohio in 1839.  Five children bless this union, viz; Frank L., John A., Amy C., W. T. and Amos W.  After marriage he managed his mother in law’s farm about six years.  He then moved to his present farm, having first bought forty acres; and from time to time, as his means would allow, added other land.  He now owns 156 acres, largely improved.  They are members of the United Brethern Church.

JOHN MILLER, farmer, born November 27, 1831, in Fairfield County, Ohio, son of William and Dianah Miller.  His father was born in Maryland, his mother in Ohio.  The subject of this sketch was brought up on his father’s farm.  At the age of nine years his parents came to Union township.  On May 12, 1840, his father entered 160 acres, in what is now Crooked Creek Township, and lived on that land about eight years.  He then removed to this farm, known as the Smith farm, which is the oldest settled farm in this neighborhood.  Part of this land was entered by Newel Burch, of whom Andrew Smith bought his claim, and entered other lands adjoining.  His father lived on this farm until his death, which occurred May 23, 1880, ages seventy-five years.  The farm now consists of 350 acres, mostly improved and stocked with six horses, sixty head of cattle, eighty hogs, fifty sheep, etc.  He was married January 1, 1856, to Miss Mahala Fancher, who was born in Delaware County, Ohio, January 16, 1835; they had eight children, six living, viz; William H., David B., Martha L., Almanette, Dollie J., and Flora E.  Eva V. died in 1867, aged five years; Amy O. died November 3, 1875, in her twentieth year.  She had attended the Westfield College six years, had finished a classical course, and one year later would have graduated.  In order to educate his children Mr. Miller removed to Westfield in 1874; remained there three years, then returned to his farm.  When in Westfield he held the office of Police Magistrate; here he held the office Justice of the Peace two terms and Township Superintendent one term.  They are members of the United Brethern Church.

WILLIAM M. MILLER, farmer, was born November 30, 1835, in Fairfield County, Ohio.  At the age of four years he came with his parents to Cumberland County, and settled in Union Township, and has since lived in this locality.  He was married August 14, 1862, to Mrs. Mary A. Clauson, who was born in 1837.  They had two children; Ida I., and Reason R.  this farm consists of 98 acres, located on the National Road, and improved with a good house, which cost about $600; barn cost about $400.  The farm is stocked with four horses, seventeen head of cattle, and about thirty hogs.

CHARLES McMILLEN, farmer, [post office Union Center], was born February 27, 1825, in Delaware county, Ohio, and is the son of Gideon and Elizabeth McMillen; the former born in Luzerne County, Penn., and moved when young to Delaware County, Ohio.  He carried on the milling business.  He came with his family to Coles County, Ill., now Cumberland County, settled about two miles north of where he died, March 3, 1864, aged seventy-seven years.  The subject of this sketch was married in 1850, to Harriet Bennett, of the same county.  After marriage he worked on his father’s farm about two years, then bought 40 acres, where he lived a short time.  April 13, 1859, he left for Pike’s Peak with a party of five and three yoke of oxen, and landed where is now Denver, July 4, 1859.  they then went into the Gregory Diggings and prospected there about six weeks; then to Fair Play Diggings and worked there until driven out by cold; thence to the pinery and furnished hewed logs for houses in Denver.  The first house they built there was for a colored man named “Uncle” Reuben.  They built a shoe shop for $100, receiving for the same four pairs of boots in payment.  They continued in getting out wood and shingles till spring, and then went to Colorado City and put up two buildings, which they sold when completed; went mining in the California Gulch; worked there about four months; was taken sick, and returned to Denver.  Finding no work there, he drove one yoke of oxen from Denver to his home in Illinois, arriving there November 2, 1860, occupying about three months in this journey.  He then took charge of his father’s farm, and raised one crop.  August 31, 1861, he traded his yoke of oxen for one horse, went to Camp Butler and enlisted in Company A, Fifth Illinois Cavalry, and served three years.  He enlisted as a Private and was promoted, in about fourteen months, to Quartermaster Sergeant, and was mustered out August 25, 1864, at Vicksburg, Miss.  Theirs being an independent regiment, they were constantly engaged in skirmishes and scouting through the country.  The first regular battle was at Cotton Plant, Ark., where he was wounded by his horse falling on him while crossing a bridge, near Trenton, Ark., December 8, 1862.  He has never recovered from this injury.  About the last of May, their command was ordered to Vicksburg.  They took boats and proceeded there, landing June 1, 1863.  He was also hurt there, by a horse running over him, injuring his right breast.  This he has not recovered from.  June 3rd, they were ordered to watch the enemy, and encountered him in the rear of Vicksburg, having there a skirmish, taking twenty-four prisoners; remained in the rear of Vicksburg doing skirmishing duty, and so continued till the surrender of Vicksburg, July 4th, 1863.  July 5th, they crossed the Black River, on their way to Jackson, Miss., where they captured the enemy’s entire picket-post, skirmished with them till night.  There they sat in their saddles all night.  As soon as it was light they moved on, driving them through Clinton.  They contested every inch of ground till they were driven to their fortifications at Jackson.  There they fought about eight days, when Johnson’s command evacuated their fortifications.  They captured their rear guard, consisting of 800 to 1,000 prisoners, and their pontoon bridge, with their wagons.  Their regiment, with the Fourth Illinois and Third and Fourth Iowa Cavalry Brigade, started for Canton, Miss., proceeding as far as Pearl River, where they were repulsed and driven back.  Receiving reinforcements of infantry and artillery, they proceeded to and captured Canton, taking 300 to 400 prisoners.  They destroyed a train laden with stores and ammunition, the railroad machine shop, and tore up the railroad track; also destroyed five locomotives.  They returned to Oak Ridge and went into camp, where they laid during the month of August.  On August 4, he returned to his command.  On account of the boat running aground he was delayed in reaching Vicksburg till about the 6th of September.  The following day the regiment was ordered out on a scout, met with the enemy early in the day; drove them till about 2:00 when they made a stand on a hill, and there made a charge on them, driving them across an open field into the woods.  There they made another stand-the enemy firing on them, wounding a number of their men, and taking one prisoner.  After receiving reinforcements they drove the enemy till night, when they fell back a couple of miles and went into camp.  The following morning they moved on the enemy and skirmished with them all day; that night a negro gave them information where they could gain entrance between the main army and the picket-post, and they captured the entire post, consisting of twenty-four men and the commanding officer.  The next morning they went into camp near Vicksburg, where they remained some time.  They were then ordered to Natchez, where they skirmished several days, when their company was detached as scouts, reporting the movements of the enemy.  With their command they remained until the enemy fell back from Natchez.  They then returned to Vicksburg, where they remained during the winter.  The following spring and summer they were skirmishing wit the enemy in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and Tennessee, with headquarters at Vicksburg, where he mustered out August 25, 1864, and returned to Cumberland County, where he has since lived.  In October 1864, he moved to his farm, consisting of 100 acres, about 75 acres improved.  He built his house in 1875; cost about $500.  He is a member of the G.A.R., Post Monroe No. 100.  In closing this sketch we will further add that, in selecting a wife, Mr. McMillen has made an admirable choice, she being a cheerful and hospitable disposition, and having won the esteem of her large circle of acquaintances.

JOHN F. NEAL, wagon maker, Union Center, was born May 29, 1945, in Union township, and is the son of William and Rebecca Neal, of Kentucky.  In 1827, they emigrated to Crawford County, Ill., and in the summer of 1830, they came to this locality.  The subject of this sketch was reared on his father’s farm.  At the age of seventeen he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-Third Illinois Infantry, and served till February 28, 1865.  He participated in the battles at Prairieville, Ky., Mission Ridge, Hoover’s Gap, Farmington, Noonday and others.  In the spring of 1866 he went to Colorado, and there followed teaming on the plains, prospecting and mining at Georgetown, Col., seven years.  He traveled through California, Nevada, Montana, and was absent about ten years.  On returning home he remained on his father’s farm about two years, then rented a farm, and there remained three years.  He engaged in the wagon business in 1882.  He was married September 26, 1879, to Lettie A. Roberts.  She was born in Cumberland County.

WILLIAM NEAL, farmer and dealer in live- stock, was born November 1, 1817, in Bourbon county, Ky., and is the son of James M. and Matilda Neal, also natives of Ky.  His father carried on the shoe making trade, afterward blacksmithing and farming.  The family emigrated to Crawford County, Ill., in 1827.  In the summer of 1830, his father, in company with James Gill, came to this locality and entered 80 acres of land. He then returned to Palestine, where the land office was located.  He died in August 1830, aged forty-six years.  William, the subject of this sketch, in company with his mother, came to the land his father had entered.  They at once commenced improving it, and soon after he entered 160 acres where Diona is now situated.  He also bought 60 acres where Toledo now is.  This he afterward sold.  He now owns 317 acres in Sections 1 and 2.  Their house was built in 1853, and rebuilt in 1867.  It cost in all about $2,000.  His barn is 44x64 feet, is the finest in the township, and was built in 1867.  It cost about $3,000.  He, with his son, Dr. J. W. Neal, is now carrying on the drug business in Charleston.  He was married November 1840, to Rebecca C. Ryan, of Crawford County.  She was born November 25, 1822; died in 1847.  They had four children, one living- John F.; lost one in infancy; Mary M., died in 1880, aged thirty-nine years; George W., died December 14, 1882, aged thirty-nine years. His second marriage was to Sarah Delap, in 1848.  She was born in Crawford County, and died in 1856.  They have four children, viz; Albert A., James W., Nancy J., wife of James T. Conrad, and Matilda E., Wife of John W. Conrad.  His third marriage was in 1858, to Jane Hubbard, of Indiana.  She died May 10, 1879, aged fifty nine years.  His mother died in Davis County, Iowa, at the advanced age of eighty-three years.

JOHN E. STALLINGS, farmer, was born March 18, 1813, in Bullitt County, Ky., is the son of William and Nancy Stallings.  His father was also a native of this State and his mother of Virginia.  At the age of two years his parents removed to Harrison County, Ind.  There they lived on a farm, where they died at an advanced age.  In 1844, he moved to Coles County and raised one crop.  In January 1845, he came to Union Township and bought 160 acres of land, there being but five acres cleared.  This land is now well improved; also other lands which he has since bought and improved, now owning in all 380 acres.  He first located on Section 26, and has recently moved to Section 35.  His son, William H., occupies the old homestead.  He married Mary E. Grosshart, October 1840.  She was born in Indiana in 1820, and died in 1853.  They have five children, viz; Mary J., wife of E. Closson; Nancy A., wife of L. Cooper; Sarah E., wife of James Jenkins; Tabitha E., wife of Madison Jones, and Minerva A.  His second marriage was to Rachel J. Grosshart, in 1854.  She was born in Harrison County, Ind., in 1830.  They have four children, viz; William H., Elizabeth, wife of F. Pennington; John W. and Laura A.  Since coming here, Mr. Stallings has been engaged in the wagon, wheelwright and carpenter’s trade, although principally farming, and he has succeeded in placing himself in comfortable circumstances.

JOSEPH W. STROCKBINE, farmer, was born February 20, 1829, in Perry County, Ohio, is the son of Joseph and Frances Strockbine, who were natives of Virginia.  His father died in 1846, aged sixty-four years.  The subject of this sketch was brought up on their farm, living with his mother until her death, which occurred in 1849, aged sixty-one years.  He then emigrated to Illinois and settled on this land.  He entered 120 acres, now owns 100 acres improved.  He was married March 23, 1851, to Harriet Nigh.  She was born July 29, 1835, in Fairfield County, Ohio.  They have six children, viz; Mary F., wife of John Luke; Christian C., Emelia C., wife of Ellridge McMackin; Harriet A., wife of M. Rhue; Lewis F., Mattie E.  Lewis F. has been a student at the Westfield College two years, and contemplates finishing his studies at this college.  He is now in his eighteenth year.  Peter Nigh, father of Mrs. Strockbine, died February 17, 1844.  Her mother died October 30, 1874, aged eighty-seven years.  The family are members of the United Brethren Church.  This church is located on his farm, having been built in 1881.  It cost $1,200.

ISRAEL YANAWAY, farmer, and live-stock dealer, was born January 1, 1811, in Washington, Washington Co., Penn., and is the son of Henry and Regina Yanaway.  His father carried on the trade of shoemaking in Pennsylvania, and in Rushville, Fairfield County, Ohio, and was Postmaster at the latter place, where he died, aged sixty-three years.  The subject of this sketch worked out by the month till the age of twenty-two, when he married Effie Sturgeon, March 20, 1833.  She was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, August 1812.  They have had nine children, four living, viz; Mary E., wife of John Strockbine; Regina, wife of Lafayette Stultz; Jane, wife of Plumber Sidwell; and Samuel S.  Three died in infancy; Henry died in 1867, aged twenty-three, from injuries sustained by a horse falling on him; Lucinda, wife of Jacob Rhinebolt, died October 18, 1872, aged thirty-two years.  In 1842, he came to Cumberland County, bought 160 acres of land where he now lives, and from time to time has bought other land, now owning about 1,000 acres, mostly under cultivation.  When he first came here, the courts were held in Greenup, in a log schoolhouse.  He opened the first drugstore in the county, this being at Prairie City; continued the business about fifteen years.  He then traded this store for land, and returned to his farm, where he has since remained.  This farm is stocked with six horses, fifty head of cattle, he having had as high as ninety-seven head; also about fifty hogs and seventy-five sheep,etc.

S. S. YANAWAY, farmer and live stock; born March 3, 1840, in Fairfield county, Ohio, is the son of Israel and Effie Yanaway.  At the age of four years, his parents came to Cumberland County, and settled in Union Township; he was brought up on his fathers’ farm.  He was married April 14, 1863, to Mary E. Decker.  Her parents emigrated to Cumberland County at an early day.  They had seven children, five living, viz; Israel W., Thomas R., Samuel B., William J., and Mary R.  Harry A. and Charles W. died when two years old.  After marriage he settled down on his present farm, at that time but forty acres.  He has been adding to this as his means would allow, and now owns over 500 acres, mostly improved.  He also had charge of his fathers’ farm during his absence of about fifteen years in Prairie City, where he was engaged in the drug business.  He attended to hiring and paying off hands, disposing of stock and produce, and had general supervision of the entire business.  They are members of the United Brethren Church of Christ.

W. G. WALLING, farmer, was born April 9, 1815, in Ross County, Ohio, and is the son of James S. and Margaret Walling, he being a native of Virginia, and one of the earliest settlers of Ross County.  The subject of this sketch assisted his father on the farm until his death, which occurred in 1837, in September of that year.  He married Eliza A. Pennington, who was born July 29, 1820, in Pennsylvania.  They had nine children, three living, four of who died in infancy, viz; William, died May 10, 1878, aged twenty-two years.  The surviving children are: James, David, and Mary, wife of William Stanberry.  His son James has been Township Clerk.  He managed his father’s farm two years.  In 1840 Mr. Walling came to Union Township and entered 160 acres then bought 80 acres.  He afterward traded 160 acres, and bought 120 acres in Section 9, about 100 acres of which he improved.  He has just completed a very comfortable home, which cost about $400.

Return To The Main Index