DOUGLAS, an enterprising and progressive farmer of Mason Township, residing on section 23, owns and operates two
hundred and seventy-six acres of valuable land. This is one of the fine farms of Effingham County, and their home
is pleasantly situated on the outskirts of the village of Mason. Our subject was born in Ohio County, Ind., September
22, 1847, and is a son of William J. and Sarah A. (Read) Douglas, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work.
His boyhood days were spent upon his father's farm near Rising Sun, Ind. His education was obtained in the district
schools, and he remained under the parental roof until he reached his majority. In the spring of 1870, in company
with G. W. Buchanan, he came to Illinois and together they purchased a farm of one hundred and seventy acres on
section 14, Mason Township, Effingham County. Mr. Buchanan moved his family to that farm, and Mr. Douglas resided
with them for a year and a-half.
the meantime, the latter's father purchased a forty-acre tract adjoining his son's farm, and this Andrew rented,
removing to the same.
Douglas now chose a companion and helpmate for the journey of life. On the 6th of September, 1871, he wedded Missouri,
daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Wallack) Lostutter, of Indiana. One child was born of their union, Samuel C.
The mother died June 6, 1874. She was a member of the Baptist Church and a lady held in high esteem by her many
friends. On the 21st of October, 1877, Mr. Douglas was again married, his second union being with Miss Amelia E.,
a daughter of Phreburn G. and Eliza Ann (Cook) Paugh. They also have one child, William E., born December 1, 1878.
his first marriage, Mr. Douglas resided upon the forty-acre tract of land before mentioned, and in connection with
his brother-in-law, Mr. Buchanan, operated the two farms, comprising two hundred and ten acres in all. This business
relation was continued until the spring of 1874, when Mr. Buchanan sold his undivided half of the one hundred and
seventy acre farm to the father of our subject. Father and son then carried on business in partnership, engaging
principally in the raising of hay. Some years they raised as much as two hundred and fifty tons. In 1873 Mr. Douglas
and Mr. Buchanan built a large hay barn, 58x70 feet, which would hold about two hundred tons of hay, and thus they
had ample capacity for storing it. In connection with this business, Mr. Douglas also engaged quite extensively
in sheep-raising, which formed an important branch of his industry. In 1882 he and his father purchased an additional
tract of land of two hundred and sixteen acres, which they together owned until 1885, when the farm was divided.
The father took the first purchase, containing one hundred and ninety acres, and our subject retained the balance
of two hundred and thirty-six acres, which is situated on sections 14 and 23, Mason Township. He has since added
forty acres, making in all two hundred and seventy-six acres in the home farm. In addition to this he also owns
one hundred and six acres of timberland in Union Township. After the division of the property, Mr. Douglas spent
two years in Arcola, Ill., as a dealer in hay, and at the same time raised two crops of broom corn. He then returned
to the farm, upon which he built a good house, barn and other buildings. This farm is now complete in all its appointments,
lacking in none of the accessories of a model farm of the nineteenth century. The rich and fertile fields are under
a high state of cultivation and the neat and thrifty appearance of the place indicates the enterprise and industry
of the owner.
and Mrs. Douglas are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Socially, he is connected with Cedar Lodge No.
211, I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Democrat. He is at present School Director of his district, an office he
has filled for the past three years. Mr. Douglas is a public-spirited and progressive citizen, and in the legitimate
channels of business he has secured a handsome competency, which numbers him among the substantial citizens of
and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of
Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago:
Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 437. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards