Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois,Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States.
(Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 195.
Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.

THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH of Effingham is comparatively a new organization in this city. The society was formed in the spring of 1890, by the Rev. Henry Y. Kellar, pastor, who held services at what is now known as the Temple. This congregation has recently erected a house of worship where its members can meet each Sunday, the building being located on Fourth Street, two blocks north of Jefferson. It was built at a cost of $3,000 and has a seating capacity of two hundred and fifty. The membership is about fifty, and the church is at this writing without a pastor. Ellsworth Schorley is Clerk of the church; Willie Gordon, E. Schorley and Mrs. Ruth A. Kellar are Deacons, while the Board of Trustees is composed of the following-named gentlemen: E. C. Mitchell, Cyrus Stoddard, Willie Gordon, Charles Johnson and E. D. Schorley. The society is quite young and as yet not very strong, but its members are energetic and earnest Christians and have accomplished much in the short time they have been organized. They are now doing a good work, and the faithful band deserves a prosperous career.

Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 525. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.

 

  Return to the Portrait and Biographical Record... Index
Return to the Main Page of the Effingham Trail