Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois,Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States.
(Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 195.
Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.

DAVID HENRY HOLLOWAY, who is engaged in the insurance and real-estate business in Mason, is numbered among the early settlers of Effingham County, where he has made his home for nearly forty years. He has therefore been an eye-witness of much of the growth and development of the county, and in all possible ways he has aided in its advancement. He was born near Collinsville, Madison County, Ill., July 21, 1847, and is one of a family of six sons and six daughters whose parents were Thomas Jefferson and Rebecca (Hoskins) Holloway, both of whom were natives of Tennessee. The paternal grandfather of our subject, James Holloway, was a Virginian by birth, as was his wife. From that State he removed to Tennessee, where he died at an advanced age. Thomas Jefferson Holloway became a farmer of Tennessee and removed thence at an early day to Indiana, where he spent about four years. In the year 1840 he came with his family to Illinois, locating in Madison County, where his death occurred during the infancy of our subject. His wife survived him until 1872, and died in Lucas Township, Effingham County, at the age of seventy-two years. For several years after her husband's death she continued to reside in Madison County, but in 1855 went with her children to Effingham County. The family there made their home upon a farm of one hundred and forty acres for many years. Only three of the twelve children are now living: Thomas Jefferson, Sarah J., wife of David S. Bates, of Elliottstown, Ill., and David H.

The subject of our sketch was early inured to the hard labors of farm life. The only educational privileges which he received were those afforded by the common schools. He remained with his mother until sixteen years of age, and at the age of seventeen he entered the service of his country as a member of Company D, Fifty-fourth Illinois Infantry. He remained in the service for about a year, but was then honorably discharged on account of illness. After his return home he began teaching, and followed that profession until 1868. In August of that year he embarked in mercantile pursuits in Mason, opening a drug store, which he carried on for five years. In 1870, he formed a partnership with John Pulliam, and they purchased a general store, which they operated until 1875, when Mr. Holloway's partner died. He then sold out the business. The following year he again engaged in general merchandising at the old stand, and with the exception of two years spent in Clifton, Ill., he continued in that line of trade until April, 1891, when he sold out his stock to Leith Brothers, and, forming a partnership with J. C. Leith, opened a hardware store. This connection was continued until the following October, when Mr. Holloway bought out his partner s interest. Subsequently he traded his hardware stock for a farm three-quarters of a mile north of the village of Mason, containing one hundred and thirty-eight acres of valuable land. This farm he still owns, and under his management it is operated. He is also engaged in the real-estate and insurance business, and has worked up a good trade in this line.

On the 15th of March, 1874, Mr. Holloway wedded Miss Emma Leith, daughter of David and Amanda (Wilson) Leith, who were natives of Ohio, but at the time of their daughter's marriage resided in Mason Township. Four children have been born unto Mr. and Mrs. Holloway, Herald H., Charles D., Stella B. and Mabel, and the family circle yet remains unbroken. Their home is the abode of hospitality, and its doors are ever open for the reception of the many friends of the family.

            Mr. Holloway takes a considerable interest in civic societies. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star. He served as High Priest in the Chapter for one year, was one year Worshipful Master in the Blue Lodge, and was Patron of the Eastern Star Lodge for two years. He also belongs to Cedar Lodge No. 211, I. O. O. F., and to Ransom Post No. 99, G. A. R. He was a charter member of the latter organization and its first Adjutant. At present he is filling the office of Junior Vice-Commander of the post. In his political affiliations, Mr. Holloway is a stalwart Republican. He served as Supervisor of Mason Township in 1880, has since been a member of the Village Board, and was its President for four years. He always discharges his public duties with promptness and fidelity, and fills the offices with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. Although a comparatively young man, Mr. Holloway is really one of the old settlers of Effingham County, for he has long resided within its borders, and has been prominently connected with its development and growth.
 

Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 236. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.

 

  Return to the Portrait and Biographical Record... Index
Return to the Main Page of the Effingham Trail