Y. KELLAR, an active minister of the Christian Church, residing at Effingham, and now serving as pastor of the
congregation of his church in Bushton, was born in Oldham County, Ky., on the 16th of August, 1825, and is a son
of the Rev. Abram H. and Nancy J. (Hitt) Kellar. His father was born in Virginia, and during his infancy was taken
by his parents to Tennessee, whence the family removed to Kentucky when he was four years old. There he grew to
manhood and married Miss Nancy J. Hitt, a native of Lexington, that State. They afterward became residents of what
is now Moultrie County, Ill., then a part of Macon County. The Rev. Abram Kellar was a minister of the Christian
Church, and also followed the occupation of farming. He purchased a large farm, on a part of which is now located
the town of Lovington. He was active and influential in public affairs and bore a conspicuous part in the organization
of Moultrie County. This worthy gentleman was called to his final rest on the 23d of July, 1855. Mrs. Kellar survived
her husband for many years, passing away April 6, 1876.
Rev. Mr. Kellar of this sketch came to Illinois with his parents in 1832, and as the country was then new, he received
but limited educational advantages, only such as the district schools of that day afforded. He had the advantages,
however, of a good library in his own home, and he found access to Latin and Greek textbooks, which languages he
studied by himself until he had acquired a fair classical education. When in his twenty-first year he began teaching
school, and followed that vocation for some time. For two years he was Principal of the Moultrie Academy at Sullivan,
Ill., which was controlled by the Christian Church. In September, 1850, Mr. Kellar was ordained a minister of the
Christian Church at Lovington, Ill., and began preaching at that place, where he remained as pastor for thirty
years. He also preached at Sullivan, Windsor, Hindsboro, and at various country churches. During this time he also
taught vocal music to a more or less extent. In politics, our subject is a stalwart Prohibitionist, and in 1886
was the candidate of that party for State Senator from the Thirty-third District of Illinois. He was also his party's
candidate for County Surveyor of Effingham County, but was defeated in both instances, as his party was in a large
minority. He located in Effingham in 1888, and purchased his present residence. He is now preaching for the Bushton
Church in Coles County, and is connected with the Southern Illinois Ministerial Association.
the 19th of October, 1847, Mr. Kellar was united in marriage in Oldham County, Ky., with Miss Elizabeth H. Brown,
by whom he had seven children. Only one, however, is now living, a daughter, Susan H., wife of David Kingrey, of
Lovington, who resides on the old homestead. Mrs. Kellar died July 23, 1866. On the 19th of June, 1867, Mr. Kellar
was again married, his second union being with Miss Lizzie Kerr, a teacher of prominence in Macoupin County. She
was called to the home beyond April 8, 1883. On the 19th of November, 1885, Mr. Kellar was united in marriage with
his present wife in Lawrence, Ill. Her name was Mrs. Ruth A. Allender. She was the widow of Charles Allender, and
a daughter of William Robinson, of Lawrence County, Ill. By her former marriage she had three children, but only
one is living, Mollie, now the wife of Hiram G. Buchanan, a resident of Lawrence County.
Kellar is a man of superior ability, and has done much good work in the cause of religion and temperance. He has
the high regard of all with whom he has come in contact, and his friends throughout this community are many.
and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of
Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago:
Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 603. Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards.