M. LE CRONE, a member of the firm of LeCrone & Mechler, editors and publishers of the Effingham
Democrat, was born in Ewington,
the old county seat of Effingham County, December 23, 1853. He is a son of Dr.
John LeCrone, one of the early physicians and pioneer settlers of this county. With his parents he removed to Effingham
when seven years of age, and there attended the public schools until 1870, spending his summer vacations in different
kinds of labor in the city and on a farm. When his school life was ended at that place he entered the State
Normal University at Normal,
Ill., in the fall of 1870, and after pursuing
a three-years course of study was graduated from that institution, in June, 1873. Soon afterward he entered upon
the profession of teaching, being employed in that capacity in the district school in Effingham
County for a year. In 1875 he became Principal
of the Effingham East
Side School, serving as such for one year. He then
accepted the position of Deputy Circuit Clerk and served in that capacity for two years. Mr. LeCrone then entered
the field of journalism. In January, 1878, he purchased a half-interest in the Effingham Democrat, and for three years was a joint editor
with John Honey, Sr., of that paper and continued with his successor, Owen Scott, until October 1, 1881, when he
sold out, and for a time kept books for the firm of Asgood & Kingman. In December, 1881, in company with C.
F. Coleman, he established the Altamont
News and continued its
publication until 1885. In October, 1882, he formed a partnership with N. D. Clutter, under the firm name of Clutter
& LeCrone, they doing a real-estate, loan and insurance business. This connection was continued until 1885,
when they discontinued the business and dissolved partnership.
Mr. Le Crone was married in 1879 to Miss Frances N. Nitcher, of Effingham. He and his wife have a wide circle of
acquaintance in this community, where they have long made their home and are numbered among its highly respected
and esteemed citizens.
On the 1st of June, 1884, Mr. LeCrone purchased the Effingham Democrat, which he conducted alone for six years.
On the expiration of that period he admitted to partnership George V. Mechler, and the firm of LeCrone & Mechler
was formed. The Democrat is a six-column quarto, all home print. The firm built and completed their present office
in August, 1892. It is a brick and stone structure, 60x20 feet, two stories in height, and is all occupied by their
business. The office is complete in all its appointments, in fact it is one of the best in southern Illinois. It is lighted by electricity, heated by
steam, and the printing is done with a fine Cranston press. During the past two years the circulation
of the paper has increased twenty-five per cent. Mr. LeCrone is a versatile and ready writer and the Democrat
is a bright, newsy sheet, well deserving of a liberal patronage.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Effingham, Jasper and
Richland Counties Illinois, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Governors
of the State, and the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1887), p. 200. Transcribed by
Judy Rosella Edwards.