Illinois Genealogy Trails

Jordan School
(est. bef. 1897-1960)
West City
Franklin County, Illinois

All photos and data, within these pages, on Jordan School
have been submitted by:
Arlie Jordan
Thank You !!


line

Old Jordan School

The Jordan School was located west of Benton on the south/west corner of South Court Street and Route 14. The lot is now believed to be vacant.

Moses Jordan, Carmen Jordan's Great Grandfather, donated the land for the school.

His father, Elias Jordan, was one of the 7 Jordan Brothers credited with the building
of "Jordan's Fort."

Moses (1799 - 1875) was buried at Veteran's Memorial Cemetery in Benton.

The school was probably built prior to 1875, and was probably 85-100 years old
at its closing date in 1960.

line

Class Pictures

1915-16

1920's:
(1) (2)
1921 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928-29

1931-32 | 1937-38 | 1939-40

1946-47 | 1948-49
1949-50:
(1) (2)

1951-52:
(1) (2)
1952-53 | 1953-54
1954-55:
(1) (2)
1955-56 | 1956-57 |1958-59 | 1959-60

Year Unknown
(1)


News Paper Clippings

(1)
1897 Class Photo[Benton Evening News, unknown date ]

(2)
1918-1918 Class Photo [Benton Evening News, 15 Jun 1988]



Miscellaneous Student Pictures

1948-1949
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

1950 Arlie JORDAN

1950-51


School Records / Rosters

1917
1918
(1) (2)
1919
(1) (2)

1922 1923 1924
1925 1926 1927
1928 1929 1930
1931 1932 1933
1934 1935 1936
1937 1938 1939
1940 1941 1942
1943 1950 1951
1952 1953 1954 1955



Teachers Contract

"Carmen Jordan" 1933


Miss Carmen Jordan was a teacher at Jordan School approximately 15 years between 1932 thru 1960, except for a few years when she taught at Kings College.

After Old Jordan School closed in 1960, Carmen taught at Washington and Grant School in Benton. She also attended the Jordan School, as a student along with her
cousin Pearl Miller Jones. Arlie Jordan's grandma, dad, uncle, aunt, and several
cousins attended the Old Jordan School, as did Arlie Jordan and his sister attended
for one year in 1950.

Return to the Main Index Page for Franklin County


Transcribed by: Nanette Riley 2008 Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group