Illinois Genealogy Trails

Franklin County, Illinois
Coal Mine News

Coal Discovered at Sesser

Coal was discovered at the new town of Sesser, in Franklin county, at a depth of 720 feet. It is a 9-foot-8inch vein. This shaft was put down half a mile between two prospect holes where coal was reached at a depth of 600 feet.

[21 Sept 1906 Cook County Herald-Arlington Heights, Illinois]

Coal Fall Kills Miner

West Frankfort, Ill., (IP)—Funeral services were held Monday for
James A. MODGLIN, 48-year-old miner killed In a coal fall at the old Ben No. 9 mine here. Modglin was buried about 15 minutes when three tons of coal fell underground in the shaft Friday. He died less than two hours after he was taken to Union hospital.
[The Edwardsville Intelligencer, Tues. Nov. 15, 1949]

2 Dec 1929
Seven Coal Miners Die In Explosion; Fifteen Others Escape Injury Rescue Workers Encounter Smoke, Gas Fumes; Recover Five Bodies. Safety Devices Localize Blast to One Drift, Reducing Casualty List.

WEST FRANKFORT, Ill., Dec. 1(AP).-Seven coal miners were killed and 15 others escaped injury in a localized explosion in a drift at Old Ben mine No. 8 near here at 2:30 a.m., today. The bodies of five of the dead were brought to the surface late today while rescue parties still sought the other two bodies. Rescue work was delayed because of smoke and gas fumes. The death list announced by officials of the mine follows:
James TABOR, Thomas MCDERMOTT, Veo GERIDINO, Jewell and Dewey BAKER, brothers; Earl BEARDON and Henry ISAACS. All resided at West Frankfort except ISAACS, who was said to have lived at Johnston City, Ill. ISAACS was about 50 and MCDERMOTT about 60. The other victims were young men. Bodies of Two Victims Still In Drift. The bodies of TABOR and MCDERMOTT had not been recovered tonight, but mine officials said it was certain the men had been killed, as they were at work in the drift when, the blast came. The other 15 miners were saved by safety devices which automatically released shale dust to localize the explosion, in the one drift, about one and one-fourth miles back from the bottom of the shaft. None were injured and all were brought to the surface soon after the explosion. Rescue Teams Work All Day To Recover Bodies. Two rescue teams worked all day to recover the bodies. They brought out the five bodies at 5:10 p.m. Because the blast was localized, little damage was done to the mine. A. Denny LEWIS of Springfield, director of mines, arrived late today to begin an official investigation. The cause of the blast was not determined, but the general opinion was that It was due to an accumulation of coal dust gas.
[The Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City, Utah, Monday morning, 2 December 1929, Page 1]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails