Barger, George D.
George D. Barger, a pioneer and farmer, was born in Shawneetown in 1832. He is the youngest of seven children of Jacob and Elizabeth (Seaton) Barger.
The father, of German origin and born in Pennsylvania, was the son of Geo. Barger, Sr. He went to Breckenridge County when a young man, and learned the carpenter's trade. He married in 1809. And after 1815 he was a farmer and carpenter of Shawneetown, and died in 1847. The mother was born in Kentucky in 1787, and died in 1860. She was a member of the Regular Baptist Church.
Educated at Shawneetown , our subject, in 1854, was married to Lucy E., daughter of Henry C. and Ann Floyd of Union County, Ky., where she was born in 1830.
Four of their seven children are living: Jos. T., Lucy G., Maud E., and Nathaniel B. After 1865 he moved from near Shawneetown to his present fine farm of eighty acres in Section 22, four and one-half miles from that city. Always a Democrat, he first voted for Buchanan. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: p. 525, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Barger, J. B.
J. B. Barger, farmer, was born in Breckenridge County, KY., February 2 1814, one of seven children -- two living-- of Jacob and Elizabeth (Seaton) Barger.
The father, born in Pennsylvania in 1784, was the son of Geo. Barger, of Germany, who, on account of religious persecution, became a pioneer of Breckenridge County, Ky. The father was poorly educated, and married in 1809, and in 1815 came to Shawneetown, when, after several years as a carpenter, he spent the remainder of his life as a farmer. He was a trustee of Shawneetown for some time, and died in 1847.
The mother, a native of Kentucky, was born in 1787 and died in 1860, a member of the Baptist Church. She was a half sister of Gen. McClernand, and her mother was an early pioneer of Gallatin County.
Our subject was educated at Shawneetown, and engaged as a clerk and in flat-boating. In March, 1834, he married Louisa M., a daughter of John Carter, who was born in Kentucky about 1814. She died in 1861, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Two of their seven children are living: George and Jacob.
In 1847 President Polk commissioned him as postmaster at Shawneetown, and in 1850 he was elected sheriff, serving two years, and also some time as deputy. From 1854 to 1856 he was a bookkeeper of the State Bank of Illinois. In 1856 he was elected county clerk, which position he held for twenty-six years, at the end of which time the citizens presented him, as recognition of his faithfulness, a gold headed cane. Since his official life closed he has lived in retirement. He has always been a Democrat, and is a Mason and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Besides town real estate, he owns the old homestead of 258 acres.
[Source: p. 525-26, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Joseph Barnett, farmer and stock dealer, was born in 1843, in Gallatin County, Ill., one of six children of Zadock and Malinda (Choat) Barnett.
The father, a farmer, born about 1809 in Tennessee, came to Gallatin County when a young man, and afterward owned 240 acres on part of which our subject now lives, and remained until his death in 1859.
The mother, born in 1809 in Gallatin County, died in 1851.
Our subject owns 120 acres of fine land. In 1868 he was married to Sidney A., daughter of Thomas and Lutitia Patton, and born in 1848 in Hardin County, Ill. She died in Gallatin County, Ill., April 2, 1879. Their five children are Albert C., Mary A., Sarah J., Mellie M. and John T.
In October, 1861, enlisting in Company F, Sixth Illinois Volunteer Calvary, he was, on account of disability, honorably discharged in April, 1862. He is a Republican, and his wife is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
[Source: p. 526-27, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Bayse, Harry Van
BAYSE, Harry Van, vice president American Furnace Co.; born, New Haven, ILL., Aug. 18, 1870; son of Thomas Butler and .Jennie (Melvin) Van Bayse; educated district school, Ewing, ILL., public schools Evansville, lnd., and Cairo, ILL.; Jones' Commercial School, St. Louis; married, Dallas, Tex., Oct. 31, 1896, Agnes Robertson; one daughter, Allene. Began active career in St. Louis about 1889 in employ of the Front Rank Furnace Co.; became a stockholder in the company and had charge of sales department; associated with others from same company, January, 1900, in organizing and starting the American Furnace Co. and has charge of sales department, also vice president. Member Sheet Metal Contractors'Association. Methodist. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 27th and Morgan Sts. Residence: 6959 Hancock Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Bishop, James M.
James M. Bishop, postmaster, was born in Saline County, April 4, 1842, the son of William and Mary (Davis) Bishop, natives respectively of Tennessee and Virginia, and both in their eighty-fifth year. They have been among the esteemed citizens of Saline County for over a half century.
Reared to manhood on his father's farm, and with a common school training, our subject, in August, 1861, enlisted in Company E, Third Illinois Calvary, serving as bugler until the close of the war. He was wounded at Pea Ridge, and fought at Cotton Plant, Ark., Vicksburg, Jackson, then on to New Orleans, to Shreveport, La., on the Red River expedition under Gen. A. J. Smith at Memphis when Forrest raided there, and finally was mustered out at Springfield, Ill.
He then farmed near Eldorado until 1879 when he came to Ridgway where he has been engaged in selling agricultural implements. He is an un-swerving Democrat in politics, and for two years was constable. February 17, 1887, he was appointed to his present position of postmaster at Ridgway, by President Cleveland, and is giving satisfaction.
November 18, 1864, he married Eliza J. Margrave, a native of Saline County. Mr. Bishop is a Mason and a member of the G. A. R. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and among the best citizens of Ridgway.
[Source: p. 527, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Boyd, W. J.
W. J. Boyd, farmer and a pioneer, was born in Mason County, Ky., about 1823, a son of J and L. C. (Bailey) Boyd. The father, of Irish origin, was born in Kentucky in 1794, a son of Archibald Boyd, a native of Harper's Ferry. Archibald was a soldier of the Revolution, and a pioneer of Kentucky, where he served as sheriff of Louis County many years. The father was reared in Mason and Louis Counties, and married in 1819. In 1837 he removed to Gallatin County and resumed his work of brick-laying. He died in 1846.The mother, born in Summit County, Md. in 1796, died December 5, 1857. She was a daughter of Bowdoin Bailey, a soldier of the war of 1812, in the commissary department, and one of the "Baltimore Blues." Returning to Kentucky in 1815, he then went to White Count, Ill. in 1826.
Our subject was limited in school advantages, and in 1847 married Jane, daughter of James and Margaret Bradford, and born in Ireland. Two of their six children are living: Rebecca, wife of James Rice (deceased) and Laura C. He was then living in New Haven, engaged in the tanning, saddlery and harness business. With the exception of the years from 1874 to 1885 in Shawneetown in a livery and feed stable in connection with the Riverside Hotel, he has, since 1853, resided on his present farm which he carved out of the early wilderness. It has 240 acres besides which he has another farm aggregating in all about 370 acres, and town property in addition. He has served for about twenty-two years, since 1846, as justice of the peace, in Asbury Precinct, and in his present home, beginning in 1854 in the Wabash Precinct. He is one of the few now living who were citizens of the county in early life. He is a Democrat, first voting for Polk. He is a Mason. His parents were Presbyterians, and his grandfather an elder who organized the church at Cabin Creek, Louis Co., Ky.
[Source: p. 527-28, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Boyd, John R.
John R Boyd, abstractor of titles, and real estate and insurance agent, was born in Gallatin County in 1848, the eldest of nine children of Thompson and Martha (Langford) Boyd.
The father, of Scotch-Irish origin, and born in Maysville, Ky., in 1820, was a son of John Boyd, a native of Ohio, and a brick-mason and plasterer by trade. Thompson went to Illinois with his parents when a young man, and in 1847 married in White County, and spent his life in the northeastern part of Gallatin County as a farmer and plasterer, and an esteemed and respected citizen. He was postmaster at Cottonwood from its establishment until his death, since which time it has been under the charge of Mrs. Boyd.
Our subject, educated in the home schools, began the plasterers' trade at thirteen, under his father's instruction. He taught for eight years after his twentieth year, and farmed during his vacations. October 7, 1869 he married Virginia, daughter of Jonathan B. and Catherine Dagley, of White County, where she was born in 1849. Their children are Samuel O., Thannie, Arthur L., Thompson, Jr., and Ethel.
In 1875 he was elected county treasurer and assessor, and re-elected in 1877, during which terms he made his present abstracts. He has since also been engaged successfully in real estate. He is a Democrat, and first voted for Seymour. He is a Mason, a Knight of Honor, and is a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church.
Altogether he owns about 3,800 acres - 120 in Polk, and the rest in Gallatin and White Counties - one of the largest land owners in the county.
[Source: p. 528-29, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Burroughs, T. W. M.
T. W. M. Burroughs, farmer, was born in Union County, Ky., in 1831, one of three children of George and Martha (Coleman) Burroughs.
The father, born in Maryland in 1793, and a farmer, after his marriage moved to Union County. In 1838 he came to Gallatin County, and for six years carried on a woodyard. He served several years as justice.
The mother, born about 1796, died in Union County about 1837.
Beginning life as a poor boy, in 1866 he became the owner of his present improved farm of 120 acres. In 1850 he married Martha J., daughter of William and Mary F. Baldwin, and born in 1834 in Gallatin County. Their nine children are George, Mary, William H., Martha E., Caroline D., Charles R., Victoria, Emily N. and James M.
In September, 1862, enlisting as orderly sergeant in Company D, One Hundred and Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and honorably discharged in September 1865. Politically a Republican, his first vote was for Scott, in 1852. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. [Source: p. 529-30, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Caldwell, Albert Gallatin
Albert Gallatin Caldwell (deceased), attorney at law, was born in 1817 in Shawneetown, the son of John Caldwell, a native of Brownsville, Penn., and who married Sarah, a daughter of John Badoliet, a Frenchman. The latter and Albert Gallatin (not our subject) were schoolmates together in Geneva, Switzerland, the former coming to America in 1786 and the latter in1780, both locating in Pennsylvania. In 1802 Gallatin was Secretary of the Treasury under Thomas Jefferson, and secured Bandoliet's appointment as register if the land office at Vincennes, Ind., and John Caldwell obtained the same office at Shawneetown. Bandoliet's privilege of naming the fourth county in Illinois Territory, resulted in this county having its present name, Gallatin, in honor of his old friend and schoolmate.
John Caldwell died in 1835. His children are Eliza, wife of Alexander Kirkpatrick; John B., teller of the State Bank at Shawneetown for a time and afterward a farmer, who died in 1856; our subject: William L (deceased), a Shawneetown merchant; Margaret, widow of John Caldwell of Indianapolis, and Martha, who lives with the last mentioned sister.
Our subject was educated in Shawneetown. In 1841 he married Eleanor, daughter of Joseph Castle of Philadelphia, and born in 1822 in the latter place. Their children are Charles, and Sarah, wife of George Ridgway. Mr. Caldwell was one of the leading members of the county bar, and an eloquent speaker. In 1850 he was elected to represent his county in the Legislature, and the following year he died, passing away in his prime, leaving many friends to mourn his loss. He was a Mason and an Odd Fellow. [Source: p. 530-31, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Combs, G. W.
G. W. Combs, physician and surgeon, was born in February, 1838, in Gallatin County, Ill. He is one of a family of nine children of Jonathan and Iayvilla (Dolan) Combs.
The father was born in Kentucky, February 22, 1806; he came in about 1825, to Gallatin County, where he died in 1872. By occupation he was a farmer and blacksmith.
The mother, a Virginian, born in 1812, died in 1876.
After his education in the schools of his native county, he followed teaching a few years, and then studied medicine under Dr. Campbell, of Equality, for three years, and for a time under Dr. Leacord of New Market. After practicing medicine for twelve years and frequently attending lectures during the time, he graduated from the Cincinnati School of Medicine in 1878. In April, 1868, he married Hannah E., daughter of John F., and Mary E. Hemphill, and born in Pope County, Ill., in 1846. Their six children are W.F., Agnes C., Annie, Samuel M., Ellen E. and George E.
Since 1870, when Dr. Combs located at Ridgway, he has been remarkably successful, and now owns 120 acres of land adjoining the town. He is a Republican in politics, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
[Source: p. 531, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
E.C. Colvard, M.D., of Shawneetown was born in Union County, Ky., in August 1821. He is the son of Alexander and Sarah (Johnson) Colvard, natives of Virginia, the former, of French descent, was born in 1767, and the latter in 1786. They died in 1847 and 1853 respectively. The elder Colvard, a carpenter, went to Union County, Ky., where he married, but lived the last twenty-five years of his life in Henderson County.
Our subject, their only child, was educated at Morganfield, Ky. Leaving the farm at sixteen he served as dry goods clerk three years, and then, after study under his preceptors, Drs. Taylor and Berry, of Morganfield, he entered Louisville Medical College in 1842. After his graduation he practiced at Uniontown, Ky., eighteen months, in Morgantown two years and a half, and since then in his present position.
August 19, 1853, he married Amelia W., daughter of Hezekiah Hadlock, and born in New Albany, Ind. Their six children are Alexander H., physician in Hutchinson, Kas.: Annie, wife of J. B. Edwards, mail agent; Frank, Charles, and Bessie. One son, James E., died July 30, 1885. Dr. Colvard is the next oldest physician and surgeon in Shawneetown, and for years has been one of the leading ones of Gallatin County.
A Whig before the war, he afterward became a Democrat. His wife and daughter are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he belongs to the I. O. O. F. Lodge Ancient Odd Fellow. [Source: p. 531-32, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Silas Cook, County clerk of Gallatin County, was born in White Co, Ill., in 1854. He is the son of Charles and Nancy J. (Hedges) Cook, the former of Irish origin, born in 1830 in White Co, Ill, and the latter born in 1832 in Ohio. The grandfather, Zachariah Cook was of White County, and the great-grandfather, John Cook, a native of Virginia, was a pioneer of southern Illinois. Married in 1851, the father bought 200 acres of White County land and farmed until 1873, when he established a general store in Omaha, Gallatin County. In 1885 he bought his present home of 400 acres. Their six children are: our subject; Lettia A., wife of W. Beasley; Mollie A., wife of Dr. J. L. Harrel; Hulda; John, department clerk, and Lucinda.
Besides his common school education our subject graduated in the Evansville (Ind.) Commercial College in 1871. After a partnership with his father at Omaha, in November, 1882, he was elected county clerk and again re-elected in 1886. September 22, 1878, he married Sarilda E. daughter of Benj. and Sallie S. Kinsall, and born in 1856 in Gallatin County. Their three children are Lillie, Eula, and Zella. Mr. Cook now owns 422 acres.
He is a Democrat politically, a member of the F. & A. M., and both he and his wife belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. [Source: p. 532-33, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Crawford, John A.
John A. Crawford, police magistrate, Ridgway, was born in Gallatin County, Ill., January 2, 1835, the son of William R. and Martha (Stevens) Crawford, natives respectively of North Carolina and Tennessee, the former born June 29, 1800, and the latter October 12, 1801.
The father removed with his parents from South Carolina to Kentucky in 1803, and, a few years later, to Illinois. Our subject's grandfather, John Crawford, located in Pope County, and later in life moved to Gallatin County, where he died. William R. settled near Cypress Juction on a farm in 1832, and later, removed to another township, where he died January 24, 1857.
The mother died June 10, 1851, and of eight children the following are living: Nancy J., widow of Jesse Kanaday; Hannah E., widow of William Engleton; Martha L., John A., and James S. of Pope County.
John A., reared on the farm with a common-school education, left home in 1855 and farmed in Tazewell County, Ill., three years. He then returned home, and on May 13, 1858, married Mary Kanady, and settled on the old farm, where she died October 15, 1876. Their children are Sophronia A., wife of Edgar Mills; Susan E. and William H.
June 13, 1883, he married Susan (Kanady) Yost a native of this county. In April, 1884, he moved to Ridgway, where he now runs a first-class boarding-house. He has been a prominent Republican since the war, but never an official aspirant. In April, 1886, he was elected to his present office, which he efficiently fills, and to the satisfaction of all concerned. [Source: p. 533-34, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Crenshaw, Giles Young
Crenshaw, Giles Young, stockman and politician, was born September 28, 1839 at Equality, Gallatin County, Illinois. His parents were William Easly Crenshaw, born in North Carolina, March 4, 1804, and Casandia Footpage Crenshaw, nee Taylor, born in Richmond, Virginia, January 10, 1808. They were married, in 1827, in Gallatin County, Illinois, their respective families having emigrated, first to Kentucky, and later to Illinois. To them were born six boys and four daughters, all of whom but one, a son, attained maturity and became well-to-do and respected citizens in different States. In 1841 the parents of Mr. Crenshaw moved to Springfield, Illinois, where his father died in 1864. His mother continued to reside there until 1870, when she removed to St. Clair County, Illinois. Here she resided until her death, in 1884. Mr. Crenshaw was educated in the common schools of Sangamon County and later in Parson's Business College, of Springfield, Illinois. On attaining his majority he first engaged in the stock business, which he conducted successfully for some seventeen years in Illinois, and in Missouri— to which State he removed in 1874, settling in DeKalb County. In 1876 Mr. Crenshaw was married to Miss Annie Celestia Holmes, of Maysville, Missouri, daughter of John H. Holmes, a prosperous farmer of DeKalb County. Their union has been blessed by seven children, four sons and three daughters, all of whom survive except one daughter, who died in infancy. Their names, according to age, are: John H., Edith M., Claude R., Lowell W., Margaret L. and Vivian E. Crenshaw. The eldest, Dr. John H. Crenshaw, is married and living at Galesburg, Illinois, where he is practicing medicine. In 1878 Mr. Crenshaw was elected circuit clerk and recorder of deeds of DeKalb County, and re-elected in 1882. So commendable was his administration of these offices that his constituents insisted upon electing him the third term, and were so in earnest that the Democratic County Convention nominated him. He, however, declined the nomination, insisting that he had held it long enough; believed in the Democratic doctrine of rotation in office, and was especially opposed to third terms. His last term as circuit clerk and recorder of deeds expired January I, 1887. Prior to this date, in 1886, the DeKalb County Bank was organized, and Mr. Crenshaw was elected president of the enterprise. To the duties of this position he devoted himself until 1891, when he resigned to engage in the general real estate and loan business, with offices in Maysville. In 1896 he was elected president of the Town Mutual Fire Insurance Association of the Third Congressional District. In this position he continued until March 4, 1897, when he was appointed United States marshal for the Western District of Missouri, to succeed General Joe Shelby. With his usual marked ability, tireless energy, and vigilance, he filled the marshalship until the expiration of his term, July I, 1898. On retiring from this office he devoted his time in looking after his private business interests, and in aiding the Democratic party managers in the campaign of 1900. Mr. Crenshaw has been a zealous Democrat and a ready worker, and a liberal and cheerful contributor to campaign funds. For twelve successive years he served on the Congressional committee of the Third District while Governor Dockery represented it in Congress. Some eight years of this time he was chairman of the committee, and on him devolved the laborious work of these campaigns. To his sagacity, foresight, wise management and ceaseless effort, more than to any other one man, was due the continued triumphs of Democracy in the Third District. He is recognized the State over as one of the party's wisest and safest leaders. The consensus of opinion among Democrats at this date (1901) is that he will be one of Governor Dockery's most trusted advisors. Immediately after Governor Dockery's inauguration he called Mr. Crenshaw to act as his private secretary, which position he fills at this writing.
["Encyclopedia of the history of Missouri"... edited by Howard Louis Conard - Sub. by K.T.]
Davenport, A. F.
A.F. Davenport, merchant, was born near Equality, Ill., March 2, 1844. His father, R. W., a native of Knoxville, Tenn., settled with his parents near Equality, and was always a farmer. He married Sarah, daughter of Abner Flanders, a farmer and manufacturer, and a native of New Hampshire. For ten years he was coroner, and filled an unexpired term as sheriff. His death occurred in December 1852.
The mother, a native of New York, came with her parents to Illinois, settling near Equality; she died in 1875.
Our subject, the eldest of four children, was reared and educated in Equality, chiefly, and took a course at Bartlett's Commercial College, Cinncinati. Until two years ago he was a farmer and teacher, when he engaged in his present general merchandise business. February 13, 1878, he married Juliet, daughter of John W Clifton, a merchant, formerly of Ohio. She was born in Gallatin County in June 1848. Their children are May, Delia, Martha J., Randall W., George A. and Robert C.
Our subject is a Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. Their home is in Equality.
[Source: p. 534; "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Davidson, Charles Clayburn
Charles Clayburn Davidson, who is successfully engaged in the practice of law at Tucumcari, New Mexico, was born at Boardley, Union county, Kentucky, on the 7th of October, 1874, and is a son of William George and Emma J. (Tate) Davidson, the former of whom was born in Webster county, Kentucky, on the 10th of May, 1848, and the latter near Kokomo, Howard county, Indiana, on the 17th of February, 1853. The father followed agricultural pursuits for many years but is now living practically retired in northeastern Arkansas. His wife also survives.
Charles Clayburn Davidson, who is the oldest of a family of three children, attended the public schools in Gallatin county, Illinois, and the high school at Eldorado, Illinois. He was a member of the first graduating class of that school, which is accredited to the State University. He continued his education in Southern Illinois State Normal University at Carbondale, Illinois, and prepared for the practice of law at the Northern Illinois College of Law at Dixon, graduating from that institution with the class of 1901. Long before he completed his education he had begun to provide for his own support as when but twelve years of age he worked for his grandfather and others as a farm hand. He was so employed during the summers until he was seventeen years old and he then began teaching country school in Gallatin county. Later he was similarly employed in Saline county and was then for two years principal of the Eldorado high school. His next position was that of superintendent of the Eldorado schools and after completing a year's term in that capacity he took up the study of law. Following his graduation from law school he went to Terre Haute, Indiana, where he formed a partnership with Felix F. Blankenbaker. After four months, however, he was compelled to give up active practice for a time on account of ill health and returned to Eldorado, Illinois, where he remained for a year. At the end of that time he came to New Mexico and after considering a number of locations decided to make his home in Tucumcari, arriving here in April, 1904. For about a year he engaged in the insurance business, but at the end of that time resumed the practice of law which he has since continued. He has tried many criminal cases and has gained a high reputation in that branch of law, although he has never definitely specialized in criminal practice. He has not only won high standing in his profession, but he has also gained a gratifying measure of material prosperity and owns valuable lands in this state.
Mr. Davidson was married on the 7th of June, 1909, to Miss Wilmoth Hudson, who was born near Eureka Springs, Arkansas, and is a daughter of James and Elizabeth (Lane) Hudson. The father was born in northeastern Arkansas and passed his entire life in that state, dying when Mrs. Davidson was six years of age. He was a merchant and civil engineer by occupation. His wife, who was born near Nashville, Tennessee, is now a resident of Denver, Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. Davidson have a son, Merritt Clayburn, whose birth occurred on the 7th of February, 1910.
Mr. Davidson gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and has been called to public office a number of times. He was a member of the constitutional convention from Quay county and was elected a delegate to the constitutional convention for joint statehood, which, however, never convened. He is now serving his fourth consecutive year as city attorney and at the time of the organization of the city was elected to the office which he held for two years. He attends the Presbyterian church, to which his wife and son belong and can be depended upon to further movements seeking the moral advancement of his community. Fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He has made a wide acquaintance since coming to Tucumcari and his genuine worth is indicated by the fact that those who have been most closely associated with him are his stanchest friends.
[Source: "The leading facts of New Mexican history", Volume 3, By Ralph Emerson Twitchell - Submitted by K.T.]
Davis, Rev. Robert Marklin
Rev. Robert Marklin Davis, son of Rev. William and Polly (Sebastian) Davis, was born in White County, Ill., May 5, 1824. His parents were natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively, and of Irish and Welsh descent. They came to Illinois in 1811. Both his grandfathers were wounded in the war of the Revolution.
His father, Rev. William Davis, dying when he was thirteen years old, he was thrown upon his own re[Sources, and was compelled to work upon the farm and obtain the most of his education by hard study at home, though he attended school two winters after he was married. He was received into the Cumberland Presbyterian Church October 21, 1839, and became a candidate for the ministry October 29, 1843. He was licensed to preach September 28, 1844, and ordained to the full work of the ministry March 31, 1849.
Rev. Mr. Davis was sent as a home missionary to preach at several places within the limits of the Ewing Presbytery, and received many members into the church at Eagle Creek, Equality, and Galatia, McLeansboro, New Haven and other places.
He organized the Palestine Church near his own home in 1852, and has been its only pastor. He took charge of the village church in 1851, and preached there about twenty-six years. In 1855 he took charge of the Union Ridge Church, and has continued to be its pastor to the present time. He organized Oak Grove Church in 1860 and the New Haven Church in 1868.
Assisted by Rev J. M. Miller he organized the church at McLeansboro, became its pastor in 1876, and resigned the position in 1883. In 1879 he took charge of the Norris City Church, continuing its pastor until 1884. He organized the Hazel Ridge Church in 1883, assisted by Rev. William E. Davis, who afterward became its pastor. Since beginning his ministerial career he has not until recently had less than four churches under his charge and now he has three. He devotes nearly all his time to reading, preaching and other church work, in which he has met with remarkable success, having received more than 2,000 into the church.
One of the most notable incidents in his career was the reunion of the Cumberland Presbyterian Churches at the "Old Village Church," September 19, 1886, from which have sprung thirteen other churches. At this reunion about 1,200 people were present, all "seeming to realize that this was the annual gathering at Jerusalem to worship the God of their fathers and to covenant anew that they would continue in the good work." Rev. Mr. Davis officiated on that memorable occasion, reading Psalm lxxxiv, and taking for his text Isa. xxxii:20, upon the theme presented therein delivering an eloquent and thrilling discourse.
Rev. Mr. Davis was married to Miss Mary Sharp February 27, 1844, by whom he has four children: Prof. William Isaac Davis, a classical graduate of Lincoln University; was president of Hamilton College five years, of the male seminary at Tallequa, Cherokee Nation, three years, and while here engaged was appointed by the Government to organize an Indian school at Grand Junction, Col., where he is still engaged; M.M. and S.M. Davis are in the dry goods business in Omaha, Ill., and Jennie, the only daughter, is at home, studying and teaching music, and she is also a very zealous worker in the W.C.T.U.
[Source: p. 534-36, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Drone, Joseph Jr.
Joseph Drone, Jr., farmer, was born in Ohio in 1842. He is one of ten children of Joseph and Margaret (Bartel) Drone, natives of France.
The father, born about 1818, came to Ohio when about twelve years old with his father, Francis Drone, and in about 1839 was married. Since 1857 he has been a resident of Gallatin County, and now one of the most extensive farmers in Newmarket Precinct.
The mother is still living, and both are members of the Catholic Church.
Our subject was married, January 22, 1865, to Mary C., daughter of Christopher and Barbara Grazier, natives of France. Nine out of eleven children born to them are living: Charley F., Mary M., Christopher B., Barbara J., Sarah L., Jos. A., Geo. W., Edward and Henry. Leaving Newmarket Precinct in 1879, he came to his present fine farm of 160 acres about three and one-half miles west of Shawneetown. He and his wife are influential members of the Catholic Church.
[Source: p. 535, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Dupler, Charles E.
Chas. E. Dupler, was born in Cincinnati, February 4, 1849. His father, C. E. a native of France, when eighteen, came to Cincinnati, was a merchant tailor several years, and then married Mary E., daughter of John J Kopp, hotel-keeper and a native of Germany. Their two children are Louis G. and our subject. The father, while traveling for his health, died at Evansville, Ind., February 9, 1853. The mother, born in Germany September 22, 1822, died at Shawneetown, July 12, 1885.
Reared and educated at the latter place since his fifth year, our subject graduated from Notre Dame, Ind., and September 30, 1873 married at McLeansboro, Fannie A. daughter of Jas. M. Lasater, a miller and merchant, and a native of Virginia, and who, from his eighteenth year, was sheriff for twelve years. Our subject is a member of the firm of Hargrave & Dupler, produce dealers, and one of the rising business men.
His only daughter, Eva Dee, was born October 7, 1875. His wife was born July 19, 1850 at Shawneetown. He is a Democrat in politics, a member of the F. & A.M., and he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. His home has one of the most elevated sites in Equality.
[Source: p. 537, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Notley Duvall, farmer, was born in Shawneetown Precinct in 1830, a son of William and Elizebeth (Timmons) Duvall, natives of Kentucky. The father, of French ancestry, spent the latter part of his life as a farmer in Gallatin County, and died in 1834. The mother died about 1840.
Left an orphan on his own re[Sources at the age of ten, our subject had few advantages and worked hard at whatever he could find. The gold fever took him to California in 1852, and after three years of mining he returned to his native country. In 1858 he married a daughter of Henry and Caroline Gill, and a native of Gallatin County. Nine of their ten children are living: Henry, Addie (wife of E. Moore), Notley, Jr., Charley, Richard, Harry, Victor, Jacob and June. He has since lived on his present farm of 270 acres, improved, and about four miles from Shawneetown. Formerly a Whig, since his vote for Freemont has been a Republican. He is a member of the K. of H. and I.O.O.F. Lodges.
[Source: p. 537-38, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Henry Earnshaw, farmer and merchant, was born in 1843 in Yorkshire, England, one of two children of Rollin and Mary Earnshaw. The father, born about 1820 in the same shire, was a carpenter and joiner, and died about 1846. The mother, born in 1825, still in the same shire also, is still living.
Educated in his native land, our subject came to America in 1864, and enlisted in the United States Navy as seaman on the steamer "Grand Gulf." He was honorably discharged in 1865, and, coming to Gallatin County, began his present mercantile life at Saline Mines, where he does a good business, and besides owns 200 acres of improved land.
In 1869 he married Amelia, daughter of F. A. and Catherine Spieler, and born about 1853 in Auglaise County, Ohio. Their seven children are Mary E., Annie, Joshua W., Emma, Willy, George H. and Raleigh.
In politics he is a Republican, and is a Master Mason.
[Source: p. 538, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Eddy, Lieut. J. M.
Lieut. J.M. Eddy was born in Shawneetown Precinct May 2, 1830, one of six children of Henry and Mary J. (Marshall) Eddy. The father was of English ancestry and born in Vermont. He was of the same family as Samuel and John Eddy, followers of Roger Williams. Henry was a son of Nathan Eddy, who was in the defense of Bennington in the Revolution.
Reared in New York, when quite young Henry learned the printer's trade in Pittsburg, Penn., and was in the war of 1812. He went to Shawneetown in 1818, and was there married. For several years he was editor of the Illinois Emigrant, of Shawneetown, and while in Pittsburg, having studied law under Judge Hall, he afterward became one of the first lawyers of Gallatin County. He died in 1848. The mother was born at Vincennes, Ind., and died about 1877, a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Educated at South Hanover, Ind., our subject served in 1862-63 as first lieutenant in Company C, Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, mostly on Gen. McClernand's staff, and was his aide-de-camp at Belmont, Mo. On account of disability, he was discharged after the battle of Fort Donelson.
In November, 1868, he married Mrs. Minerva Fuller, daughter of James and Julia Butts. She was a native of Alabama, and died in 1870. They had one child, John F.
Since 1881 Mr. Eddy has lived on his present fine farm of seventy acres near Shawneetown; elected sheriff of Gallatin County in 1862; has also served as provost-marshal. He is a member of the G.A.R. Formerly a Whig, he has since he voted for Douglas been a Republican. His son is in college.
[Source: p. 538-39, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Edwards, Conrad O.
Conrad O. Edwards, proprietor and publisher of The Local Record of Shawneetown, was born in 1844 in the same place, the son of William and Susan O. Edwards.
The father, who was of Welsh descent, was born in 1800 on Chesapeake Bay, St. Mary's County, Md., married in 1831 and came to Shawneetown where he worked as cabinet-maker and carpenter. About 1851 he became editor and publisher of The Southern Illinois Advocate, but soon with new material, merged with it the Southern Illinoisian with the firm name of Edwards & Son, the son being associate editor. Mr. Edwards, the elder, was deputy United States assessor for some time. He died in 1877. His wife, born in Jefferson County, Va., in 1811, died in 1876.
Our subject, one of nine children born to them, was educated at Shawneetown, and since twelve years of age had been engaged in the line of printing office work almost entirely. July, 1873, he established the Home News afterward enlarged and changed to Shawnee News with J.R. Ridlete as partner. A year later he sold out and founded The Local Record in December, 1877, which started as independent in politics, became, what it now is, thoroughly Democratic. In 1879 he married Elizebeth A., a native of Illinois, and daughter of August Jam; their children are Bessie, Alice, John M. and Susan T.
The Edwards family are of Revolutionary stock, coming originally from Wales and England under a Lord Baltimore. William's mother's brother, John Mills, was under Gen. Gates, at Camdem, and another brother under John Paul Jones. William's two aunts married husbands in the line of the ancestry of Mrs. Gen. Grant.
[Source: p. 539-40, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Fillingin, Judge Ajax
Judge Ajax Fillingin, farmer, an old resident of Gallatin County, was born in North Carolina in 1811. He is the son of Enoch and Hester (Campbell) Fillingin. The father, a native of Virginia, went to North Carolina when a boy, and some years later moved to Indiana, where he died about 1822. The mother, of Irish origin, was born in North Carolina and died about 1853, nearly seventy-seven years old.
Our subject was educated near his home in North Carolina, and when a young man married Nancy Moye, who died about 1843. They had four children, one living in Indiana and the others near their father.
After his first wife's death he married her sister Louisa Moye, who died in 1880. They had two children. Since 1856 our subject has been in Gallatin County as carpenter, and mason, but farmed chiefly.
Mr. Fillingin has been a public worker in his county, and held the office of associate justice for a time. He is a Democrat. In November 1884, he married for the third time.
[Source: p. 540, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Of the early comers here (Effingham County, IL), the man first licensed and authorized to vend goods in our county was John Funkhouser. His line of work lay in a different avenue from that of Judge Hankins, but it was parallel and equally important to the young commonwealth. He was a merchant, miller, farmer, trader in stock, and a buyer and seller in everything that the people wanted to buy and sell. When there was no trade or commerce, no stores nor money before for the convenience of the people, he organized and made the way for these. He opened the avenues for money to come and circulate among the people, as well as for industries that furnished imployment to men that, without him, would have, of necessity, been idle, and perhaps dissolute. In this way his dependants outnumbered those of any man who has ever been in the county, and his strong, clear judgment, quick foresight and nerve in those broad fields of commerce that brought him profits and the community gains and the means of many comforts, are bright examples of how much better it is to give in that which encourages men to help themselves by their own exertions than that old and mistaken charity that doles out its stinted aids and fosters by it the idleness and want of thrift that first produced it. His executive abilities must have been of no common order. He not only had to direct and plan his multiform business, but he had to create it where there was none before, as well as think and provide for his little army of dependants, and so wise and just did he manage this that what made him a rich man, contributed to the wealth and comfort of the entire community. His liberality and generosity toward his dependants and neighbors is well told in a little anecdote. He' advised one of his men to plant a little piece of ground in corn, and he would furnish seed, teams, etc., necessary for him to work it. It was a little out-of-the-way patch of ground of three or four acres. This man did as advised, and the season proved not the best for corn. In the fall, he got Funkhouser's wagon and gathered it, and took it all. When asked about the one-third for rent, he replied : "Why, you see there was no third. There was only two loads in the field. That was my two-thirds, and I reckon as how you don't want your third, when it didn't grow."
Funkhouser enjoyed this joke the balance of his life.
John Funkhouser was born in Green County, Ky., in the year 1778. He died in this county, in 1857. He came to Illinois in 1814, and located in Gallatin County. He moved to Wayne County in 1819, and to Effingham in 1833, and improved the farm now the property and possession of C. F. Lilly, in Jackson Township; here he opened a store and built a horsemill, and commenced those extensive business operations that grew and multiplied until the day of his death. When his strong, generous and busy hands fell nerveless at his side in death, his life-work was taken up, where he had stopped, by his son, Presley Funkhouser, who proved a worthy son of a worthy sire. He not only carried on successfully the extended operations inaugurated by his father, but increased and enlarged them in every way. A willing tribute that is paid to his memory by all who knew him in life, was, that he was the most generous and liberal of men. He helped all with a free and liberal hand. A man of strong head, warm heart, and a plethoric purse made him a citizen that was a boon to the people of the county, whose like we may never look upon again.
[Source: "History of Effingham county, Illinois" edited by William Henry Perrin - sub. by K.T.]
Gates, J. B.
J.B. Gates, farmer, was born in 1840 in Saline County, the son of Squire and Sarah (Rice) Gates. The father, of Irish origin, went to Middle Tennessee in early life, and after his marriage, came to Gallatin County, and finally settled in Saline County where he died in 1854. The mother, born in Tennessee in 1806, died in 1875. Both were members of the United Brethren Church.
Our subject, reared in Saline County, was married, in February, 1860 to Almira, daughter of Harvey and Maria Kanady, of Gallatin County, where she was born in 1837. Of their ten children, six are living: Hester E.; Mollie, wife of J.L. Ashly of Saline County, Jos. A., Walter B., Emma and Samuel M. Mrs. Gates died in January, 1875.
He then married Sallie McCoo, a native of Gallatin County. Five of their six children are living: Gertrude, Bessie, Ethel, Frederick F. and Grover C. Since the first year of his married life in Saline County, Gallatin County has been his home. He purchased his present home of forty acres in 1875.
Enlisting in August, 1862, in Company D, One Hundred and Twentieth Illinois Infantry, he was discharged eight months later on account of disability. He was township trustee for eight years. He is a Democrat in politics, a member of the G.A.R., and for several years deacon in the Baptist Church of which his wife is a member.
[Source: p 541, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Gatewood, William Jefferson
William Jefferson Gatewood was born in Warren County, Ky., and moved to Franklin County, Ill., while yet a boy. He was of great buoyancy and elasticity of disposition, which enabled him to overcome a thousand obstacles. He was of a remarkably robust and vigorous constitution.
About 1828 he moved to Shawneetown, having previously acquired a good English and classical education. In Shawneetown he taught school two or three years, devoting his leisure hours to the study of the law. Admitted to the bar in 1828, he rapidly rose to distinction in his profession. He represented Gallatin County in the Legislature several times, both in the House of Representatives and in the Senate.
He possessed a kind and benevolent heart, and justice was always before his eye. So strongly was he attached to justice that he often combatted the opinions of the judges, which were favorable to his own side of the case, because he believed them to be at variance with the law, which was to him the medium through which justice was to be attained. He died January 8, 1842, leaving a widow and four children.
[Source: p. 541-42, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Richard Gill, farmer, was born in Gallatin County in 1835, the son of Henry and Caroline (Thompson) Gill. The father, of Dutch- Irish ancestry, was born in Indiana in 1810, a son of David Gill, a native of Pennsylvania.
Moving with his father to Gallatin County, Henry soon married, in about 1828, and spent the rest of his life as a farmer. He died in 1866. The mother, still living, was born in Gallatin County in 1814. Both were members of the Baptist Church.
Our subject received a common school education, and in 1858 married Mrs. Julia F. Thompson, daughter if Conrad and Luna Wagor, and born in New York in 1827. Mr. Gill has since lived on his present fine farm of 100 acres, three miles from Shawneetown. Always a Democrat, he cast his first vote for James Buchanan.
[Source: p. 542, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
Anthony Gross, farmer, was born in Pennsylvania in 1838. He is the son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Whitmire) Gross, both natives of Germany. They came to Pennsylvania about 1835, and, after about twenty years' residence there, removed to Perry Co., Mo., where the parents died, the father in the fall and the mother in the spring of 1876.
In 1864 our subject married Zilpha Perry, a native of Tennessee, and who died in December 1876. Their five children are still living. In May, 1878, he married Mary M., daughter of W.D. and Elizabeth C. Brown, born in Gallatin County in 1847. They have two children. Mr. Gross has always been successfully engaged in agriculture, and came to Gallatin County about 1870. He is a Republican in politics, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
August 7, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Eighth Missouri Infantry, under Col. M. L. Smith, and was mustered in at St. Louis. He participated in the battles at Forts Donelson, and Henry, Shiloh, Corinth and Arkansas Post, besides many minor engagements. Discharged on account of disability, he returned home in December, 1863.
[Source: p. 542-43, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
H. Harrington, junior member of the firm of Allen & Harrington, merchants, was born in Gallipolis, Ohio, in 1854, the son of M. and Jemimah (Irion) Harrington. The father, of English stock, born in 1815, in New York, was a farmer and trader, and when married lived in Gallia County, Ohio. In 1860 he located near New Haven, this county. He bought about 600 acres and was a prosperous farmer until his death in 1883. The mother was born in North Carolina in 1821 and is still living. Five of eleven children are living.
Our subject, the seventh, was educated at Shawneetown and attended the normal at Lebanon, Ohio, for two years, and for seven years after was a successful teacher in Gallatin County. He clerked for T.B. Allen for three years from 1879, when the firm became Allen & Harrington, as above mentioned. They keep a first-class stock of general merchandise and are both able business men. He is a Republican, and first voted for Hayes. He is a Knight Templar, a member of the I.O.O.F. and Eastern Star.
[Source: p. 543, "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois" (1887) - Tr. by Liz Spragg]
McBane, Angus M.L.
ANGUS M. L. McBANE, a retired lawyer and merchant of Shawneetown, Ill., and ex-judge of Gallatin county, is justly entitled to be classed as one of the foremost citizens of the city. The McBane family is of Scotch origin, the grandfather of Judge McBane coming from Scotland in the early part of the nineteenth century and settling at Cannonsburg, Pa., where he reared a family of children. One of his sons, Dr. A. M. L. McBane, was born at Cannonsburg in 1808. He received a fine literary education, which was supplemented by a complete course in the science of medicine. After graduating from medical college he traveled extensively through Europe, and upon returning to America located at Louisville, where he soon won eminence as a physician. In 1836 he went to Parkersburg, W. Va., and practiced there until 1842, when, in company with his brother William, he came to Illinois. The two brothers bought 1,600 acres of land where Metropolis City now stands, and 600 acres on the opposite side of the Ohio river in Kentucky. Here Dr. McBane passed the remainder of his life, in the practice of his profession and in looking after his large landed and commercial interests. His death occurred July 3, 1860. In 1836, while living in Louisville, he was married to Miss Ellen Willard of that city, though a native of New York. She was of English and French extraction, her father, Rev. Joseph Willard, having been an Episcopal minister at Newark, N. J., as early as 1806. Later he came West and died at Marietta, Ohio. He was a descendant of Maj. Simon Willard, who was somewhat famous in the early history of Boston. Dr. McBane and his wife had five children, viz.: Angus M. L., the subject of this sketch; Joseph, a graduate of the New Orleans Medical college, died on shipboard while crossing the Atlantic and was buried at sea; Ellen, deceased; Marietta, widow of William Ward, living in Chicago, the mother of three children, one son, Frank, being a traveling man and secretary of the Standard club; and William A., who was a real estate and insurance man of Metropolis City at the time of his death in 1903. Angus M. L. McBane was born at Parkersburg, W. Va,, Sept. 8, 1837. He was but five years of age when his parents came to Illinois. Ever since that time he has resided in that state and has been identified with the growth and development of Massac and Gallatin counties. He obtained his early education in the schools of Metropolis City, one of his teachers being Robert G. Ingersoll, who afterward achieved a world-wide reputation as an exponent of Agnosticism. Although nominally a student at this time young McBane was really an assistant teacher, Mr. Ingersoll devoting most of his time to Latin and history, leaving the greater part of his other school work to McBane. Later Judge McBane graduated from Princeton college of New York, after which he returned home, took up the study of law under Hon, C. G. Simons and W. H. Green, and in 1860 graduated from the law department of the Kentucky State University, at Louisville. He began practice at Metropolis City, but scarcely established himself when the Civil War broke out. His desire was to enter the service of his country, but the recent death of his father made it necessary for him to remain at home to look after the large estate and to care for the family. However, he organized two companies, one in White County, Ill., and the other at Ford's Ferry, Ky., both of which were mustered into the army as part of the Forty-eighth Illinois infantry, of which he was made adjutant, but for reasons already stated he was compelled to resign the position. He accompanied Grant's forces from Paducah to Pittsburg Landing, and in the capacity of expressman for Grant's army was present at the historic battle of Shiloh. In 1864 he removed to Shawneetown, where he was elected county judge the following year and held the position for four years. In addition to his large law practice Judge McBane became interested in the mercantile affairs of Shawneetown. For several years he conducted one of the largest general stores there and was a large buyer of grain. In 1877 he practically retired from both professional and commercial life, and since then has devoted his time to the management of his large and varied investments. He was married in 1862 to Miss Mary, daughter of John D. Richeson, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. They have no children. Judge McBane is a member and past dictator in the Knights of Honor; has been president of the Business Men's association ever since it was organized in 1890; was once a candidate for state senator, and is always active in promoting the general welfare of the- community in which he lives. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
[Source: "Memoirs of The Lower Ohio valley: Personal and Genealogical", Volume 2 By Federal Publishing Company, 1905 – TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Newell, George Frederick
That Oklahoma as a whole has made a wonderful progress in educational development since statehood is due not only to the more systematic organization introduced by a state government and by the command of greater resources and increase of population, but also by the presence in the state of many high-minded and efficient school administrators. One among these that deserves special mention is George Frederick Newell, who has recently retired from four years of service as county superintendent of the schools of Grady County. (OK)
Mr. Newell was eminently successful in carrying out many of his ideals in organizing and effecting the schools under his supervision. One direction of his effort was toward beautifying the school grounds and buildings and he also labored earnestly to increase the school spirit, not only among the scholastic population, but also among the patrons, working to change the latter from a passive to a vital attitude toward school affairs. He did much to stimulate interest in school work by organizing athletics and also introducing literary and other competitive features, such as debates and athletic and scholastic contests among the different school districts. He also accomplished considerable consolidation, and left the county with twelve high schools outside the City of Chickasha. Thus practically every family in the county has convenient access to a graded and efficient high school. Credit must be given him also for introducing the physical inspection of children. Each year during his superintendence he caused to be examined between 10,000 and 12,000 children. In this work he was properly a pioneer, since he had introduced the method two years before the State Legislature enacted a law which made physical inspection a regular part of school activities. As a result of the examinations thus conducted it became possible for those in charge of the graded county schools to classify the students both with respect to mental and physical attainments, and in hundreds of cases the attention of parents was directed to physical ailments, resulting in defective eyes, ears and other organs, and from this has come about noteworthy improvements in the general efficiency of the scholars, permitting a generally higher standard of school work to be done.
George Frederick Newell has done most of his educational work in Oklahoma, but is a native of Illinois, born near Shawneetown, Gallatin County, January 2, 1884. His parents were Andrew Jackson and Edith (Weatherford) Newell. Both his parents were natives of Eastern Ohio, and his father became an Illinois farmer. Andrew J. Newell died in 1898, and the mother passed away in 1885, when George F. was seventeen months old.
His education, begun in the Illinois public schools, was completed in the Southern Illinois Normal University at Carbondale. He was fourteen years old when his father died in 1898, and this threw upon him the responsibilities of taking care of the farm, and he had other duties which interfered with the regular pursuit of his school curriculum. Thus it was not until 1906 that he was in a position to take up his chosen profession as an educator. During 1906-07 he taught in the schools of Gallatin County, and in 1908 came to Oklahoma. In September of that year he took charge of the Ninnekah schools in Grady County, and by his work there and among the teachers' organizations soon came to be recognized as an unusually forceful teacher and executive. In November, 1910, Mr. Newell was elected county school superintendent of Grady County and entered upon the duties of his office January 1, 1911. His term expired July 1, 1915. Mr, Newell has done much work as a teacher and conductor of summer normal schools in Oklahoma. During his residence in Gallatin County, Illinois, he was a member of the Illinois National Guard for several years, and was color guard of his company. Mr. Newell is a member of the Christian Church, and affiliates with Chickasha Lodge No. 44, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Washita Valley Lodge No. 143 of the Knights of Pythias; and Chickasha Lodge No. 755, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Newell on the paternal side is of Scotch-Irish ancestry, while his mother was of German and English stock. One of his uncles was killed at the battle of Shiloh while serving in the Union army. Mr. Newell was married in Chickasha in 1911 to Miss Anna Hill, daughter of J. T. and Susan Hill, of South Carolina. Her father was a veteran of the Civil war and served throughout that conflict with the South Carolina regiment in the Confederate army. He finally came to Oklahoma, and for a number of years was well known in Grady County, where he served as register of deeds. Mr. and Mrs. Newell, who reside at 1801 South Seventh Street in Chickasha, have had two children: Mary Jane and Virginia Ann Newell, but the last named is deceased.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn -- Sub. by K.T.]
Scroggin, Leonard K.
More than three-score years and ten have passed since Leonard K. Scroggin became a resident of Logan county, and he is justly numbered among her honored pioneers and leading citizens. He has been prominently identified with her business interests as a farmer and banker. His is an honorable record of a conscientious man who by his upright life has won the confidence of all with whom he has come in contact. Through more than four score years he has traveled life's journey, but although the snows of many winters have fallen upon him he has the vigor of a much younger man and in spirit and interests seems yet in his prime. His is an active old age, and his has been an active life. He is to-day numbered among the most prosperous men of central Illinois, a position to which he has attained entirely through his own efforts and as the result of untiring energy, enterprise and determination.
Leonard K. Scroggin was born in Gallatin county, Illinois, January 25, 1819, and is descended from prominent old southern families. His paternal grandfather. Humphrey Scroggin, was a native of North Carolina and married Miss Sarah Kirby, of Virginia. At the age of seventeen he offered his services to the Continental Army and fought throughout the struggle for independence, being present when Lord Cornwallis surrendered the British troops to General Washington at Yorktown, and thus practically ended the war and proclaimed the liberty of the colonists. Carter T. Scroggin, the father of our subject, was born in Kentucky, but in territorial days in Illinois, he came with his people to that commonwealth, locating in Gallatin county, where he met and married Phebe Shelby, a native of North Carolina, whence she removed with her parents to Tennessee and thence to Pope county. Illinois. Her father. Jacob Shelby, married Miss Easter, and the great-grandfather was a native of Wales.
When Carter T. Scroggin came with his parents to this state in 1811, they lived in a little log cabin, sixteen by eighteen feet, and there endured all the hardships and privations of pioneer life. In 1827. having married in the meantime, he brought his family to Logan county, settling four miles south of Mount Pulaski, where he established his home, living in an unhewn log house with puncheon floor that stood near the timber skirting Lake Fork. He purchased his land from the government and at once began the development of a farm which he improved as the years passed, making it a valuable property. As his financial resources increased he also added to his property until at the time of his death he was the owner of six hundred acres of valuable land. The family went through the usual experiences of pioneer life, when comforts am! conveniences were hard to obtain owing to the remoteness from towns and the lack of transportation facilities. In the winter of 1830-31 occurred what has since been known in history as the "deep snow," during which time the family lived on corn meal pounded in a wooden mortar and never tasting wheat bread from November until the following spring. Mr. Scroggin died in 1859, leaving a valuable farm and other property to his ten children. The members of the family were Mary A., Russell Shelby, Humphrey, Esther J., Sarah E., Pleasant M., Carter T., Thomas J., Ellen and Leonard K.
The last named was a little lad of only eight summers when brought by his family to Logan county and amid the wild scenes of the frontier he was reared. He pursued his education in a log school house during three months in the year and throughout the remainder of the time performed such work on the farm as his age and strength would permit, at length becoming able to do a man's work in the fields. After his marriage he began farming on his own account on forty acres of his own entering, also having entered forty acres of timber land. There he resided for eleven years, in the meantime extending the boundaries of the place until it comprised one hundred and twenty acres. He followed general farming and also raised cattle, horses, sheep and hogs. Success attended his well directed efforts and as the years passed he made judicious investments in land until he is now the owner of five thousand acres in Logan county alone. His landed possessions elsewhere aggregate twenty thousand acres, including land in Nebraska and Missouri and ten thousand acres of Minnesota land, which he has purchased within the last eighteen months. He is a man of keen business sagacity, his judgment rarely if ever at fault, and this quality has enabled him to so place his money in farming property that he is reaping a good financial return therefrom continually. In May, 1872. Mr. Scroggin organized the Farmers Bank, and in the business associated his son with him. The institution has been a paying one from the beginning. The reliability of the owner and their safe business methods have made it one of the solid financial institutions of the county and its patronage has reached extensive proportions.
In early manhood Leonard K. Scroggin was united in marriage to Miss Lavinia Buckles, a daughter of Robert Buckles. She was born in Logan county in 1826 and the marriage was celebrated in 1841. Mrs. Scroggin was called to her final rest January 16, 1863. The ten children, three sons and seven daughters. born of this union all grew to mature years, namely: Alfred C.; Mary and Elsie, now deceased; Angeline; Phoebe Ann; Sarah; Leonard; Susan and Benjamin F. and Evaline. deceased wife of George Veal. After the death of his first wife Mr. Scroggin was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Rhoda A. Pickering, the widow of Thomas Pickering and the daughter of George Girtman, formerly of Missouri, whence he removed to Mount Pulaski township, Logan county, where the birth of Mrs. Scroggin occurred.
By the second marriage there were three children; Herbert, now deceased; Thomas A., who is cashier in the Farmers Bank ; and Edna, the wife of Logan Andrews.
Logan county and especially Mount Pulaski owes much to the enterprising spirit of Mr. Scroggin, who has been particularly active in the upbuilding and improvement of the city. He built the bank, opera house and the Scroggin House in 1877. has erected other fine buildings and has cooperated in many movements and measures for the general good. In politics he has been a lifelong Democrat, unswerving in support of the principles of the party, although party office or emoluments have had no attraction for him. lie holds membership in the Christian church, and has ever been a man of upright principles, honorable in business and trustworthy in every relation of life. In January, 1890, on the eightieth anniversary of his birth a family reunion was held at which thirteen families were represented, sixty in all being present, including, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The family which Mr. Scroggin has established is a credit to his name and the part which they have played in the affairs of Logan county is an important one. No history of this section of the state would be complete without mention of this honored and venerable gentleman, one of the leading agriculturists of the state and a man of upright principles and sterling worth, honored and respected by all who know him. [Source: "The Biographical record of Logan County, Illinois ..." By S.J. Clarke Publishing Company - Sub. by K.T.]
Simmons, Robert P.
Second Lieutenant Robert P. Simmons, born in Gallatin county, Illinois, July 5th, 1842; brought up a farmer; enlisted in Campany "B," 1st Illinois Cavalry, July 4th, 1861; was twice captured at the siege of Lexington; was paroled and mustered out with regiment. Enlisted in Company "E," 14th Illinois Cavalry, December 20th, 1862 ; was appointed sergeant, then promoted 2d lieutenant June 2u, 1865 ; and was mustered out with the regiment.
["History of Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry and the brigades to which it belonged" - Submitted by K.T.]
© Genealogy Trails