Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy Trails - Greene County, Illinois

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Home Page

Biographies - Index - E - F -
EATON, C. C.
EATON C. C. farmer and stock raiser, resides in Wilmington. Mr. Eaton was born in Lincoln Co., Tenn., July 6, 1823,the third child of Jonathan and Mary Eaton. C. C. Eaton, better known as Squire Eaton to the early settlers of Greene County, grew to manhood in Tennessee, where he followed the occupation of a blacksmith. When war was declared with Mexico, he unlisted in Col. Campbell's regiment and served Uncle Sam one year, under the command of Gens. Scott and Taylor. He became engaged in the famous battles of Monterey, Cerro Gordo, and Vera Cruz; honorably discharged in the city of New Orleans. During the Spring of 1847, he returned to Tennessee, working at his trade until 1849, when he moved to Illinois, locating near Wilmington, Greene County. In 1850 he went to California; remaining but a short time, he returned to Wilmington, where in connection with A. J. Whitesides he ran a saw mill two years, when he turned his attention to farming. His first purchase of land was made in 1853, and consisted of 80 acres. For four years Mr. Eaton held the position of justice of the peace. He is one of those whose good judgment make the successful farmer; his sympathies are large, and his impulses generous. In Tennessee he married Miss Martha McSain
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 552(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


EBBERT, WILLIAM
EBBERT WILLIAM, blacksmith and machinist. The above named gentleman was born in Madison County, Ill., in 1852; his father, John Ebbert, was a native of Germany, who married in Madison Co., Ill, Martha Springman, a native of Germany. William is the oldest child of this family. Growing to manhood in Madison County, he became apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith and machinist, and became a skilled workman in both branches. From Madison County Mr. Ebbert came to Greene, where he first worked for Robert Stewart. He then engaged in the machinery business, for himself; for a short time he worked at Alton, and then returned to Roodhouse, where he erected the building he now occupies, and where he is prepared at all limes to do first class work at low prices. Mr. E. is a married man; there are two children: Nettie and Mattie
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 570(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


EDMONDS, THOMAS W.
EDMONDS THOMAS W. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 23, P.O. Carrollton. Mr. Edmonds is a native of Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio; born on the 12th of April, 1811; he was not five years of age when his parents, Sanford and Elizabeth Edmonds, moved to Kentucky, there remaining four years, when they returned to Ohio, where Thomas became apprenticed to the trade of a cabinet maker; serving his apprenticeship he became a skillful workman, and was soon transacting a successful business as proprietor of an establishment of his own. While a resident of Cleremont, Ohio, he united his fortunes to Miss Sarah Wood, on the 17th of January, 1832. Shortly after his marriage Mr. Edmonds turned his attention to the buying and shipping of horses to the city of New Orleans. On one occasion, having disposed of a drove at a handsome profit, exchanging paper currency for silver, the steamer McFarland, on board of which he was a passenger, was run into by the Danube; the loss of life was great, and during the struggle for life the money heretofore mentioned sunk beneath the waters of the Mississippi; fortunately Mr. E reached the shore in safety, during the dead hours of night, the circumstances surrounding the accident for many years remaining vividly impressed upon his memory. Moving to Indiana in 1840, Mr. E. turned his attention principally to his trade, that of cabinet making, although the Father of Waters still had its allurements, and he afterwards made other voyages to New Orleans. In 1862 Mr. Edmonds determined to make Greene County his future home, and accordingly, accompanied by his family, located in township 10, range 13, where a farm of 320 acres were purchased, and here he transacted a successful agricultural business until his removal to Carrollton, during the Spring of 1874. The total farm property of Mr. E. comprises 400 acres, and he ranks among the most successful farmers of Greene County. In 1842 he was deputy sheriff of Shelby County, Ind. The marriage above referred to was blessed with five children : Orange W., Thomas E., Francis C, Joseph S. and Mary E., deceased. Note the Anglo-Saxon Edmunds is interpreted defender of property. Observing, however, so great aptitude for mechanics in our family that even those farmers who have not learned a trade are accustomed to do much of their own carpenter work, I deduce the name Edmunds from the Latin ed mtmdus, which signifies master builder. Let every man so honorably entitled, build well and surely
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 514-15(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


EDMONDSON, MANFORD
EDMONDSON MANFORD, farmer. Sec. 15. P.O. Fayette, is a son of W. F. and Harriet Edmondson; her maiden name was Hand. Mr. Edmondson is a native of Kentucky, and emigrated to this State many years ago, and was among the number who with stout hands and willing hearts, did their part in bringing this country to the condition it now is. Upon his first arrival here he located near Carrollton, where he remained a few years, then moved and settled upon the land now occupied by Manford, where he lived until the year 1868, when he moved to Cass County. Missouri, where he has since remained. Mrs. E., his wife, died May 1, 1877. The subject of this sketch remained under the paternal roof up to the time of his father's removal to Missouri, and accompanied him to his new home, and assisted his father in the duties pertaining to the farm, until May 14, 1875, when he returned to this county, and was married to Alice Grove, a native of Virginia. Returning with his wife to Missouri, remained about two years, and then returned to Fayette, in this county. His health being poor, he has since made this his home, and rents his farm, the proceeds of the same being amply sufficient to maintain him, and a margin besides. His wife's mother resides with him. They have no issue
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 675(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


EDWARDS, ESTAS
Estas Edwards, who is carrying on general farming in Roodhouse township, was born in Schuyler county, Illinois, February 10, 1875, and is a representative of one of the old pioneer families of the state. His paternal grandfather was Isham Edwards, a natives of Kentucky, who came to Illinois when twenty-five years of age and devoted his attention to general farming and stock-dealing. He was not only reliable in business and active in the early development of the locality in which he made his home but displayed so many other sterling traits of character that he commanded the highest respect and confidence of all with whom he was associated. He lived at Barrow for twenty years and his last days were spent in Walkerville township. His son, Joseph L. Edwards, was born in Greene county, in 1854 and he, too, has always followed farming. He married Miss Jane Wells, who was born in Schuyler county, Illinois, in 1854.
Mr. Edwards was educated in the school of Barrow, and under his father's direction received his business training, working in the fields when not occupied with the duties of the schoolroom and through the long summer vacations. Since attaining his majority he has carried on fanning on his own account and is now operating land in Rood-house township, cultivating his fields with energy, discretion and good management., so that the result is desirable and his labors are thus rendered profitable.
On the 24th of February, 1895., Mr. Edwards was married to Miss Mettie Barnhart, who was born in Walkerville, Greene county, and their union has been blessed with three interesting children: Edith, Leona and Ernest, aged respectively nine, five, and two years. The parents are members of the Christian church and are highly respected., having a wide acquaintance, for they have spent their entire lives in the county and the qualities which they have manifested in all life's relations have commended them to the confidence and srood will of those with whom they have been associated. Mr. Edwards is a wide-awake young business man, watchful of opportunity and making the most of his advantages and has already attained desirable success.
Source: "Past and Present Of Greene County, Illinois"; by Hon. Ed. Miner, Ex-Secretary Old Settlers Society; Illustrated; "A people that take no pride in the noble achievements of remote ancestors will never achieve anything worthy to be remembered with pride by remote generations.'' - Macauley; Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1905, page 624-625 - Submitted by Sara Hemp


EDWARDS, ISHAM
EDWARDS ISHAM, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 10, P.O. Barrow. Isham Edwards is among the first settlers of Greene County, and was born in Virginia Nov. 26, 1800. He was seven years of age when his parents moved to Logan County, Ky., where he arrived at maturity and married, April 10, 1823, Miss Sarah Day, by whom he had four children. Prior to his departure for the West, in 1828, when after some weeks of westward travel, he located north of Apple Creek prairie, near White Hall, Greene County, where he rented land some six years, from Vinas Hicks and others, when he entered from the government and purchased some 600 acres of land. In 1859 he disposed of this property, and moved on to the farm he now owns, comprising 110 acres. After many years of hardship and self-denial that we of to-day know little of, Mr. E. has retired from the active duties pertaining to the farm. To such early pioneers we are indebted to our present prosperity in no small degree. In 1862, Mrs. Edwards found a last resting place in Greene County. This marriage was blessed with sixteen children, six only of whom are living; all married and residents of this State. During the Autumn of 1862, Mr. Edwards married Mrs. Elizabeth Jones, a daughter of Joseph Thomas, who during the Black Hawk War contributed liberally of his means toward its prosecution. The present wife of Mr. Edwards was born in 1817
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 552(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


EDWARDS, P. G.
EDWARDS P. G. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 19, P.O. Roodhouse. Mr. Edwards was born on the old farm homestead of his father, Isham Edwards, in 1841; growing to manhood on the farm. He received a common school education in the village of Wilmington, his first teacher being Price Lovelace. Before attaining his majority the war coming on he enlisted in Co. E. 59th Infantry at St. Louis, Mo.; engaged in numerous skirmishes; he was honorably discharged in 1862, and returned to Greene County. In his twenty-third year he was married to Miss Nancy Jones, a daughter of William Jones, who settled in Scott County when his closest neighbor was a man by the name of Bunch who lived near Allen's old mill in this county. Mr. Edwards from boyhood gave evidence of no ordinary energy and rose rapidly in a vocation that had been his from boyhood, in the purchase and sale of lands; he once owned over a thousand acres; he is now the possessor of 220 acres of rich farming land, and has succeeded by sheer force of will and honesty of purpose; he is, although generous, a good financier. Manufactures his own brick for the purpose of building, at some future day, a handsome farm residence. Of ten children born of the marriage five are living, Sarah C, Thos. W., Daisy A., Lewis, and Mary E.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 588(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


EDWARDS, T. G.
EDWARDS T. G. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. I, P.O. Barrow. T. G. Edwards is the oldest son now living of Isham and Sarah Edwards. He was born in Kentucky, on the 29th day of August, 1828. It was during this year that the family migrated to Greene County, where the subject of this sketch arrived at maturity. Attending a log cabin school prior to manhood, he perused the few simple studies then in use, on benches constituted of slabs, the other furniture of the room being of a similar nature. In his twentieth year he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Smith, a daughter of David Smith. This marriage was blessed with ten children; only three are now living: Henrietta, Octavia, and Emma. In 1869 Mrs. E. departed this life; during this year Mr. E. was married to Miss Serena Ann Moore, of Manchester, Scott County, by whom he has four children: Mary E., Fannie B., Minnie, and Gracie. Mr. E. began life without a dollar, and all that he has is due to his pluck and energy, and prominent traits of his character. He owns 248 acres of valuable land; always taking an interest in educational matters; for eighteen years he has been school director
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 552(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ELDRED, ELISHA
ELDRED ELISHA, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 32, P.O. Carrollton. The above named gentleman is a native of Greene County; born during the eventful year that ushered in the deep snow, so vividly impressed upon the memory of the older inhabitants of Greene County. Passing by the early years of Mr. Eldred, spent upon the home farm in Illinois, when the mining excitement transpired, being of an exceedingly adventurous disposition, while yet a youth, he determined to seek his fortune on the golden shores of the Pacific coast. Proceeding to New Orleans, the youthful explorer there shipped on board a steamer, which was subsequently wrecked off the coast of Panama. After many vexatious delays the youth reached California, where he turned his attention to mining. Remaining two years he returned to Greene County, where he remained until 1860, following farming, when his restless disposition again took him to California, this time the trip being made by wagon. Reaching the State in due time he turned his attention to various occupations. Remaining five years, he again set his face toward his old home in Illinois, settling down to the quiet life of a farmer, in Greene County. He married, in 1866, Miss Carrie Taylor, a daughter of George Taylor, by whom he has one child: Charles H. Mr. Eldred is the owner of 117 acres of valuble land, and no more live or energetic man dwells within the borders of Greene County
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 515(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ELDRED, ELON
ELDRED ELON, deceased, who took a leading position among the wealthy farmers of Greene County, was born in Connecticut, in 1802. In an early day his parents moved to Herkimer County, New York, where Elon grew to manhood. About the year 1820 glowing accounts of the West reached his ears, and accordingly thither he directed his footsteps. Pleased at the prospect, he returned again to the East, where he united his fortunes to Miss Jane Stuart, and shortly thereafter he returned to Illinois, and settled at Edwardsville, Madison County, and shortly after located in Greene County, on the farm now owned by Frank M. Bridges, representative. When the family became fairly located in Greene County, a cabin composed of hewn logs was erected; it was some eighteen feet square; this was the main structure. In after years other buildings composed of logs but of smaller dimensions, were erected for the accommodation of hands, Mr. E. becoming largely engaged in the manufacture of castor oil. This cabin consisted of one room, for all intents and purposes; still, overhead was a garret, where the narrator of this sketch, Charles H. Eldred, when the shade of night drew around, climbed to his bunk beneath the rafters, ofttimes lying awake listening to the melodious concerts of numerous packs of wolves. After a long life of usefulness, while Elon Eldred, who had journeyed to a farm owned by him in Montgomery County, was on his return trip and near Girard, in Macoupin County, he was taken suddenly ill, and expired very suddenly. There thus passed away a man who was as remarkable in his sphere of life as Washington or Lincoln were in theirs. The owner of over 5000 acres in the State of Illinois, he had reaped the reward of the diligent. Of this marriage six children were born; William, deceased; Louisa, who married L. F. Wheeler, present mayor of Carrollton; Lucius, who married Miss Ellen Cavenaugh, of Jacksonville; Charles H., who married Adela Avery, in 1860, by whom he had one child, Dudley. Mrs. Charles Eldred died in 1864. Julia, who married Robert Pierson, the well known banker of Carrollton; and Jane who resides with her brother Charles H. in his elegant mansion east of Carrollton. It will be well to note the fact, in connection with this history, that Mrs. Elon Eldred was among the pioneer school teachers of Greene County, who merited the respect of her pupils, many of whom bear a prominent part in the annals of the State and county, among whom we mention David Pierson, Esq.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 515-16(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ELDRED, L. S.
ELDRED L. S. merchant, firm of Eldred & Hardcastle, Sec. 21, P.O. Carrollton. Mr. Eldred is the third child of Elon and Jane Eldred, of whom a full account is given elsewhere in the historical portion of this volume. The subject of this sketch, who is well and favorably known in Greene County, was born in April, 1834, on the old homestead of his parents, within the borders of Greene County. Growing to manhood when times were very different to what they are at the present time, he obtained a hardy vigor that led to a future success. In 1855 he was united in marriage to Miss Ellen Cavanaugh, a daughter of Dr. T. H. Cavanaugh, who held the position of colonel in the late war, by whom he had ten children : Carrie R., Fannie J., Belle M., Edward, Louise, Julia, Elon, Charles H., David P., and Philo C. and Albert G., deceased. At the present writing, Mr. E. resides in township 10, range 12. In 1874 Mr. Eldred served in the capacity of president of the agricultural board. During Black Hawk's raid on the white settlers Elon Eldred took an active part; and also witnessed many stirring events in his sojourn in California as a gold miner
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 477(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


ELDRED, SILAS
ELDRED SILAS. In noting the life history of men and early times in Greene County, none are more worthy of note than Silas Eldred, whose daring nature inured him to the stirring scenes of Western life. He was a native of New York State. Of his parents but little can now be learned, save that they moved to Greene County in an early day, probably about the year 1820. Amid pioneer associations young Silas passed his boyhood, and grew to vigorous manhood. he proved a sterling actor in the battle of life, and was destined to play no secondary part in the growth and development of Greene County. When Black Hawk made war on the white settlers, in 1832, he joined the forces that were organized to protect the frontier. Many anecdotes are told of Silas Eldred; one will be worthy of especial notice here, to show the daring nature of the man; on one occasion a man by the name of Roveley, a high tempered and somewhat quarrelsome man, drew a bead upon him with a shot gun, the old veteran silently advanced and wrenched the gun from the hands of the bully, completely subduing him. He became a farmer of prominence in Greene, and passed away in 1873, at the village of Roodhouse. The survivors of the family are seven children : Elisha, who married Carrie Taylor; Mary, who married James Wood; Jehosaphat, who married Carrie Eldred; Ward, who married Lottie Lane; Silas, jr., who married Miss Augusta Trimble, a daughter of Harvey Trimble, one of the first settlers of Greene County; Lucy, who married first Archie Anderson afterward Rice Trimble, and on his decease Presley Rice; William, who married Margaret Kelley; Calvin and Rufus not living
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 477-78(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


ELDRED, WILLIAM
ELDRED WILLIAM, deceased, many years ago was one of the most prominent farmers within the bounds of Greene County. He was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, Nov. 18, 1791. He was in his fifteenth year when he accompanied his parents to New York State where many years of his life were spent. While here a resident, a farmer by occupation, he formed the acquaintance of and married Miss Ruth Brace, May 2d, 1816, a daughter of Jeduthun Brace, who is well remembered by the older residents of Greene County. During the year 1820, when but a few hardy spirits had made their way to the fertile prairies of the boundless west, Mr. E., then in the flush of early manhood, and possessed of energy and ambition far above the average, gathered together his personal property and accompanied by his family and relatives, set out in a covered wagon across the native prairie grass, where a few short years before the red man of the forest, made famous by Cooper, had woed his dusky mate or joined in the exciting sport of bringing to bay the American bison or buffalo. Leaving the wagon they floated down the Ohio River in a flatboat. The trip of the emigrants occupied some weeks. On the way cattle were purchased among the small colony. A fanning mill owned by Jehoshaphat Eldred, a novelty in its way, on its introduction among the first pioneers of Greene County, created considerable sensation. Neighbors, in place of having their wheat threshed by means of horses tramping over it in their usual primitive fashion, brought it to this wonderful mill, which met with unusual commendation and admiration. The cabin entered by William Eldred was of the usual order with the single exception that it consisted of hewed logs. Here the family lived for a period of twelve years, witnessing the growth of Carrollton from a trading point, consisting of one store under the supervision of John Skidmore, who came from the east. This place became quite a town during the term of years that are above mentioned. Those pioneer days were fraught with no ordinary interest. The husband frequently went many miles to a horse mill to lay in a supply of provisions for his large family. On one occasion, having raised an abundant crop of wheat, the grain being unusually full, it it was ground for family consumption. Through some malarial influence, perhaps, it served as a strong emetic, none of the family being able to partake of it; nor could stock be induced to touch it. This remarkable phenomenon has never been explained satisfactorily to old residents, who well remember the circumstance. William Eldred was far above the average in ability, and became a wealthy farmer mainly through well-directed efforts. He passed to the world of spirits on the 28th of July, 1855, and was laid at rest in the Carrollton cemetery, a worthy monument marking the spot. Mrs. Eldred, from whom this sketch is obtained, is now upwards of eighty years of age, a true type of the western woman who dared the dangers incident to a western life. The homestead property comprises many hundred acres. Of the marriage twelve children were born, eight of whom are living: Jeduthun, Leonard E., Elon A., Elmina A., Fidelia A., Ruthalia A., Amelia S., H. Loomis. Mr. Eldred was one of the jurors in the first trial of a criminal nature in Carrollton. Was buried by Masonic orders
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 516-17(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ELLINGSWORTH, WILLIAM
ELLINGSWORTH WILLIAM, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 31, P.O. Carrollton, was born in England, in 1828; married in 1848, to Mary Turner, and came to America in 1857, to Bate County, and lived there till 1878, then came to Greene County; has followed the occupation of a farmer all his life; is now a large renter from Charles Eldred, renting some 200 acres; is a hard working and industrious man; has six children: Eliza, Emma E., Melia, Lena, Hattie, and Frank
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 645(T11N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ELLISON, TIMOTHY
ELLISON TIMOTHY, farmer. Sec. 4, P. O. Carrollton. Mr. E. was born in Yorkshire, England, May 17, 1818; came from England to America in 1840; settled in Greene County shortly after his arrival, near Carrollton; owns 280 acres of land. Married Mary Dodgson, a daughter of William Dodgson, bv whom he has three children : William, Helen and John. An active church member; a member of the Methodist Church for a period of thirtv-six years
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 517(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ENGLISH, JAMES W.
ENGLISH JAMES W., prominent among the attorneys of Greene County; was born in Mason County, Va., March 11, 1829. His father, Nathaniel English, was a prominent physician, who married Miss Hannah Worth, a daughter of John Worth, a scout during the war of 1812. James was but eight years old when his parents moved from West Virginia to St. Louis, from which point they made their way to Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., in 1836. In 1844 Mr. English entered upon a classical course of study at the Illinois College, graduating with honor in 1848. He now took up the study of law in the office of Richard Yates, afterward Governor of Illinois, and William Brown; in 1850 he was admitted to practice as an attorney in the State of Illinois; in 1860, the Federal Courts; and the Supreme Court of the United States in 1873. For five years the young but able attorney struggled for a foothold among such legal lights as Murray McConnell, and others. In 1856 he came to Carrollton, where his ability was soon recognized and the following year he was elected to fill the responsible position of State's attorney. He served in this capacity in an able manner until 1860, entering upon his law studies with renewed zeal. In 1871 he moved to Leavenworth, Kansas, remaining a number of years. On being apprised of the mortal illness of his old friend and colleague. Judge Woodson, of Carrollton, and at the solicitation of his many friends in this enterprising town, he decided to return here. He has practiced for a period of eighteen years, and his course has been marked by no ordinary ability. Mr. English married Miss Eliza Stryker, a daughter of Henry Stryker, formerly a merchant, of Jacksonville, Oct. 6, 1852. Mrs. English is also a sister of Henry Stryker, Jr. attorney at Jacksonville. There are six children: Julia, Clara L., Charlotte, Nathaniel and Henry; Maria not living
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 478(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


ENGLISH, WARREN
ENGLISH WARREN, auctioneer, residence Locust street, Carrollton. Warren English is a native of Greene County, born at the city of Carrollton, on the 7th of August, 1S40. Tracing back the genealogy of this family we find that L. H. English, the father of our subject, was a native of Kentucky and early in life he followed farming, although subsequent years developed an aptitude for any pursuit he might follow. When a young man, prior to his majority, he wended his way to the southern portion of Illinois, and landed in Greene County, as near as can now be ascertained, in 1822. We can not, owing to limited space, follow his eventful life in Greene County, where he was destined to take a prominent part in the administration of its municipal affairs. He probably worked as a farm hand on his first entree into Illinois, and subsequently he developed both energy and skill as a trader and auctioneer. As a trader he was unsurpassed, and as a skillful auctioneer he is well remembered by the early inhabitanls of Carrolllon. The first office he ever held in Greene County was that of a district constable. When the Black Hawk war broke out he was serving in the capacity of a deputy sheriff, but with the patriotism born of frontier life he joined forces for the subjugation of the Indians. After the war he erected a substantial building in Carrollton and became the successful proprietor of the Greene County House. For the greater portion of his life he lived in Carrollton, although for some cause he once moved down on the Hurrcane, where his property was washed away by floods. Returning to Carrollton, his restless, ambitious nature led him into many business speculations, although his chief ability lay in his skill as an auctioneer. His first wife. Miss Arabel Turney, a daughter of General Turney, was born in Tennessee, and was united in marriage to Mr. English in 1828 at Carrollton. Mr. English subsequently married, on the decease of his first wife in 1870 to Mrs. Emily Brunk, with whom he now resides in affluent circumstances at Springfield, Ill. Eleven children were born of the first marriage : Turney, Wharton, Josephine, Warren, Marion, John B., Rush, Elisha, Belle and Lindsay, twins, and Sarah. One child of the second marriage, Thomas. Of Warren we have only space to say that he passed his boyhood in Greene County, received a liberal education and subsequently turned his attention to the life of a horseman. In 1867 he was united in marriage to Tempie J. Melton, a daughter of W. J. Melton, a native of Greene County, by whom he has four children: Arabel, Pape, Julia and Turney. Mr. English is the owner of 160 acres of valuable land, and is said to be the best auctioneer in Greene County
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 478-79(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


ENSLOW, JOHN B.
ENSLOW JOHN B. justice of the peace. The above named gentleman is a native of Ohio, born in 1829; he was but two years of age when his parents, Abraham and Julia Enslow, emigrated westward to Greene County, locating on farm property north of the village designated Old Kane; the head of the family subsequently purchased farm property of John Henry. Mr. Enslow became a prosperous farmer, owning 360 acres of valuable land at the time of his decease, which occurred in 1872; he was well and favorably known to many citizens of Greene, who were cognizant of his honorable business career. Mrs. Enslow is still living, and resides at Kane. John, from whom this sketch is obtamed, grew to manhood in Greene County, and received a liberal education; for the greater portion of his time, Mr. Enslow has followed agricultural pursuits. In 1851, he became a resident of Macoupin County, where he remained until 1857. when he became a resident of Montgomery County, and in 1865 moved to Old Kane, remaining but a short time, he invested considerable means in the erection of the first store house in New Kane, and for a number of years continued a successful business until his retirement a short time ago. Nov., 1877, Mr. Enslow was elected justice of the peace of this precinct. In 1853, Mr. Enslow was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Collins, a daughter of Enos Collins of Scioto County, Ohio, by whom he had eight children, three only are living
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 732(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


ERISMAN, CHRISTOPHER
ERISMAN CHRISTOPHER, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 16, P.O. Carrollton. The subject of this sketch was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 1828. In his tenth year his parents moved to Ohio, where he grew to manhood, following agricultural pursuits. When the war came on he enlisted in the 14th Illinois Infantry for three years service, or during the war. Proceeding to the front he was engaged in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, Vicksburgh, Champion Hill, Little Hatchie, etc., etc. When his term of service expired he re-enlisted, thereby becoming one of the veterans of the 14th Illinois. Previous to the war, in 1852, he was united in marriage to Miss Irene Elmore, a daughter of Robert Elmore. For some years Mr. E. was a resident of Menard County, Illinois. During the Autumn of 1865 he moved to Greene, settled at Carrollton, secured employment in the woolen mill owned by Pierson & Hartley, and six years ago entered the employ of David Wrigb.t. Of the marriage mentioned above six children were born, five are living: Mina J., Richard Y., John D., Catherine L. deceased, Robert A. and Christopher H.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 517(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


ERISMAN, JACOB
ERISMAN JACOB, proprietor of the United States Flouring Mills, originally an old landmark on the banks of the Macoupin, but rebuilt in 1865. Jacob Erisman was born in the year 1833; he had attained his fourth year when his parents, Christopher and Catherine Erisman, emigrated to Ohio, where young Erisman grew to maturity, and became apprenticed t) the trade of a miller, and subsequently became a journeyman workman, and in 1859, he was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Cromwell. In 1865 he came to Greene County, where he has principally resided, and where h^ has for the past ten years assumed the proprietorship of the mills above mentioned, which are fitted up with all modern machinery, and where he is fully prepared to do custom work; owing to his superior brand of flour, Mr. Erisman receives many orders in Greene and adjoining counties. Mr. E. is a shrewd business man, and what is still better, a liberal whole-souled gentleman, whose enterprise crops out on many occasions. Mr. E. has but one child, Katy A. now living, Mary F. the youngest child, died on the 22d of February, 1878. Note.—The U. S. Mills are owned jointly by Mr. E., Mrs. Charlotte King and heirs
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 751(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


EVANS, TH0MAS E.
EVANS THOMAS E. Deputy Sheriff of Greene County, was born on the old farm homestead of his parents, William and Eliza E. Evans, near the city of Carrollton, in 1843. Growing to manhood upon the farm he followed agricultural pursuits until 1869, when he proceeded to Carrollton, where he entered the banking establishment of John Long & Co., where he remained a short time, when he resumed operations on the farm, until his departure for St. Louis, where he became bookkeeper in a sale and commission house. Dec. 1873, Mr. Evans was appointed Deputy Clerk under the Hon. L. R. Lakin, in the city of Carrollton. It is well known to the citizens here that no one perhaps in Greene County bears a better reputation than Mr. Evans, as a bookkeeper or expert in accounts, and accordingly, when Mr. Jones entered upon his official duties as Sheriff he appointed Mr. Evans his deputy, who has since officiated in this capacity to the satisfaction of all honest men. Further notice will be given in the historical portion of this volume
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 479(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


EWALD, JOHN
EWALD JOHN, station agent C.B. & Q. R. R. Greenfield. One of the most reliable and efficient agents in the employ of the C.B. & Q.R.R. is Mr. Ewald, who has been a railroad man over twenty-five years, and served in various capacities, from a common laborer to some of the most responsible positions connected with the road, and from his long experience and known integrity has acquired a reputation among railroad officials that will always secure him as good a situation as lies in their province to grant. He was born in Prussia, Oct. 13, 1827; his parents, John and Martha E., never came to this country, but in Aug., 1847, John, Jr., set sail for America, and, after a voyage of nine weeks, landed in New York. First went to Milwaukee, then to Detroit, where he first began work on the railroad, where he remained three years; then went to New Buffalo, where he had charge of a gang of men on the Michigan Central; laid track from Aurora to Mendota; Dec. 22, 1854, went to Detroit, where he married Elizabeth Werner, born Dec. 26, 1843, in Canada, opposite Detroit. After their marriage, moved to Piano, where he obtained a situation as station agent. While here his wife lost her health, and he returned to Detroit and went into business with his father-in law, who was a brewer, where he remained two years. Then went to Bushnell, and resumed railroading again, where he remained fifteen years; was at Astoria one year, and in April, 1872, came to Greenfield, and has since remained in charge of the office and station at this place. Two of his sons assist him in the office, Willie and John; one is night and the other day operator, Mr. Ewald attending to the office and express business. Mr. E. has six children living, four boys and two girls: George, born Sept. 13, 1858; Willie, born Oct. 16, 1861; John, born Nov. 13, 1863; Albert, born Dec. 16, 1865; Annie, born April 1, 1867, and Minnie, born Sept. 14, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. E. are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. E. is a member of Greenfield Lodge, A. F. and A. M., No. 129
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 676(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FAIR, JAMES
FAIR JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 8, P.O. Greenfield, Ill. Was born Nov. 22, 1823, in Kentucky; came to Illinois in 1849, on horseback, and with but money enough to pay his traveling expenses ; went to farming with his uncle, Absalom Fair, till he was married Dec. 1, 1853, to Lorinda P. Rafferty, who was born March 8, 1836, and died Oct. 19, 1864, leaving a family of five children: Amanda H., born March 26, 1855; William E., born March 25, 1857; Mary C., born May 6, 1860; Sina E., born April 29, 1862; Thomas A., born Aug. 1, 1864. The subject of this sketch is the fourth child of Aaron B. Fair, who was born Jan. 19, 1792, and died March 10, 1867; was married to Leah Smith, who was born Feb. 23, 1793, and died March 2, 1872
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 622(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt

FARRELLY, HUGH P.
Personal satisfaction is one of the rewards of success; personal criticism one of the penalties of it. Those who aim high and hit their mark become themselves a mark for the darts and thrusts of jealous competitors and envious observers. Business and politics need leaders and the achievement of that worthy ambition is a distinction not the province of all to attain. When, then, we are presented with a distinguished example of leadership we are led to inquire into his antecedents and about the opportunities and advantages of his early life. Conspicuously in the foreground of law and of politics in Neosho county is Hugh P. Farrelly, of Chanute, whose history as a Kansan spans an era of fifteen years and whose relation to his county is that of an earnest, loyal and public-spirited citizen.
Born in Greene county, Illinois, September 2, 1858, Mr. Farrelly's parents were Hugh P. and Elizabeth (Brewer) Farrelly, the former born near Dublin, Ireland, and the latter a native of Morgan county, Virginia. The father was educated for the priesthood but decided not to enter the ministry and, when twenty years of age crossed the ocean to the United States and became a contractor of canal and railroad work. He made his residence in Kentucky for a time but about 1850 he settled in Illinois where he passed the remainder of his life as a farmer, dying August 26, 1858. He married his wife in the state of Virginia. She was a daughter of Rev. James Brewer, a Methodist minister, one of the old circuit riders of the early day. Mrs. Farrelly was born January 3, 1818, and died on the 2nd of July, 1878. By her marriage with Hugh P. Farrelly she became the mother of the following children, viz., Margaret who died in 1900 at the age of sixty years, the wife of John Gough; Mary E., who married John W. Meneley, of Greene county, Illinois; J. K. P., a farmer of that county who represented his district in the state senate of Illinois in 1900; George W., who died May 24, 1898. The latter was one of the leading spirits of Chanute, having practiced law with our subject for a time and having been postmaster of the city during both the Cleveland administrations. He died "in the harness" as it were, and his loss was felt keenly and as almost a personal one to the community he had served. John T., an engineer residing in Denver, Colorado; Rosa, who died at the age of fifteen, and Virginia, who is the youngest, except our subject, passed away in the state whose name she bore.
Hugh P. Farrelly of this review learned farming in his youth, was liberally educated in the schools of his native state and was engaged five years in the profession of teaching. While so employed he began the study of law under the direction of the Hon. Henry C. Withers, of Carrolton, Illinois. He continued his reading while editing the Carrolton Gazette, the oldest paper of Central Illinois, and after his admission to the bar he terminated a connection of three years with that Journal and opened an office in that city for the practice of law. He passed successfully the rigid examination required before the supreme court of the state in 1885 and after two years of effort in a field where competition was strong and litigation scarce he decided to cast his fortunes with the west and, accordingly, on the 15th of October, 1887, he reached Chanute and became a permanent resident. In 1888 he entered into partnership with Benjamin F. Shinn, a professional relation which was sustained for three years. Later on he formed a partnership with his brother, George W., lasting four years and since its dissolution by the death of the latter he has practiced law alone.
In his political beliefs Mr. Farrelly is a staunch Democrat. With a relish for political contests and ability to fight them, he became early an active partisan and welcomed every encounter. He was appointed city attorney of Chanute in 1889 and served till his election to the office of county attorney the following year. In this latter position he was continued for two terms and during his incumbency of the office there was an era of comparative kuiet [sic] in the county, for it was felt that his vigorous prosecution would follow any infraction or violation of the law. It was during his term, also, that the Santa Fe railway company, then managed by receivers, made an effort to force the various counties along their line in Kansas to reduce their taxes, to the extent of $4,000 in Neosho county, to which our subject took vigorous exception and which he prevented the before board of county commissioners, and thus saved the taxpayers, by intervention in the Federal court that appointed the receivers, that sum of money. In 1896 he was nominated by the Democrats of the third congressional district for congress but withdrew from the race and thereby caused the election of E. R. Ridgely. After his withdrawal from the congressional race he was made the Democratic candidate for the state senate and was elected by a majority of over five hundred votes, being the first Democrat to enter the state senate from this district. He was made chairman in that body of the committee on banks and insurance, and also served on other important committees. The anti-trust bill which he introduced - and secured its passage - caused more discussion in the news papers throughout the state than any other measure brought before the senate during that session. He secured the enactment of the Breidenthal Banking Law, also the law to fix a charge of two per cent on home and four per cent on foreign Insurance companies gross premiums collected on business done in the state. By the passage of the latter law a revenue of about $100,000 is annually secured to the state. In 1900 Mr. Farrelly was the choice of the Democratic convention for congress but at the joint convention of Democrats and Populists he lost the fusion nomination. At the state convention of both parties held at Fort Scott he was selected the candidate for attorney general of the state but went down to defeat with the whole ticket. In May, 1902, at the state convention at Wichita he was chosen chairman of the Democratic state central committee for two years.
June 2, 1885, Mr. Farrelly was married in Carrolton, Illinois, to Miss Ella F. Robinson, a daughter of Thomas C. and Eliza A. Robinson. Two children were born of this marriage, namely, Mabel E., and Minnie, both of whom died in infancy.
Mr. Farrelly's prominence not only extends to law and politics but to fraternal work also. He belongs to the Blue Lodge and Chapter in the Masonic fraternity and for many years has been a Pythian Knight. He is chairman of the law committee of the latter's grand lodge. He is a workman and a Modern Woodmen and in these orders he has filled various offices. In February, 1901, he represented his camp in the state head camp of the Woodmen, and was there elected a delegate to the head camp of the order at St. Paul which he attended the following June. He is associated by membership with the Knights and Ladies of Security and with the Sons and Daughters of Justice and in all these organizations he is counted a popular and faithful member.  Over the record of his public career there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil. He has been most loyal to his political party and has labored with untiring devotion, as a public servant, for the welfare of the constituency he represented. As a legislator he left the impress of his individuality upon many important acts of that body and acquitted himself so as to merit the plaudits of his political party. At the bar he has won enviable distinction as a storng [sic], earnest and convincing advocate. In the trial of cases he shows thorough study and a well-planned campaign. His record as a citizen is equally brilliant with that as a lawyer. He takes a hopeful view of the future of his city and exhibits a strong faith in the destiny of its institutions. He is nothing if not progressive and his time and means are liberally sacrificed in whatever promises the promotion of the public good.[Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by Vicki Bryan]


FARLLY, J.K.P.
FARLLY J. K. P. farmer. Sec. 4, P.O. r Carrollton. Prominent among the successful "young settlers" of this township is Polk Farlly, who was born in Frederick County, Va., Oct. 4. 1844; is the third child of a family of eight children born of Hugh P. and Elizabeth Farlly; her maiden name was Brewster. The Farllys are descendents of the Emerald Isle, and the Brewsters of the "Faderland." At the age of twelve years, J. K. P. emigrated to this county, locating east of Carrollton; his father died one year subsequent; the care of the family then was thrown upon him, who, with the assistance of his mother, maintained and kept the family together until they were self-supporting. After he attained his majority, set out for himself, and the first enterprise engaged in was to buy a steam thresher, in company with B. B. Bartholomew, being among the first that was run in this country; this partnership lasted two years, then he bought his partner's interest, then run it one year; afterwards associated with one of his brothers, which partnership lasted four years. During all this time he was engaged in farming on rented land in different localities in the county. Feb. 17, 1870, married Etna V. Linder, daughter of Isham Linder, She died Jan. 29, 1871, leaving no issue. Feb. 20, 1873, was again married to Nancy Jane Cunningham, born Aug. 25, 1852. She is a daughter of Andrew Cunningham; had three children, Robert H., born May 15, 1874, died Sept. 24, 1875; James W., born May 17, 1876; George W., born Oct. 10, 1875. In March, 1874, moved to the place he now owns; has now 240 acres of excellent land under good cultivation, having quite recently built his residence and several other buildings, which, with the general appearance of the place and surroundings, give striking evidence of the energy, thrift, and enterprise of the owner. Few young men are more favorably situated than he, and bids fair to become one of the wealthiest agriculturists in the township, of his time. Is Democratic in sentiment
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 709(T10N R11W); - transcribed by bmt



FARLOW, JAMES
FARLOW JAMES, farmer, Sec. 34. P.O. Athensville. Born in Ireland, came to this country in 1819, landing in New York; came to Illinois in 1852, and to Greene County about fourteen years ago. Married September 14, 1854, to Lucinda Johnson, of Macoupin County; this union has been blessed by three children, viz: Lucinda E., born Oct. 16, 1855, now the wife of G. Eggleson of .Morgan Co., Michael J., born Dec. 9, 1856, and James P. born April 14, 1S59. now in Kansas. Since his marriage Mr. Farlow has devoted his industries to agricultural pursuits; he bought his present homestead, consisting of 80 acres, about five years ago
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 604(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FARMER, JOHN P.
FARMER JOHN P. Sec. 12, P.O. Breese, was born in Indiana, Dec. 13, 1853. He came to this county with his parents in March, 1863. His father, William Farmer was born in Tennessee, March 11, 1822, and died in the late war, in which he enlisted Dec. 23, 1863, and died April 3, 1864; he belonged to the 5th Ill. Cavalry. His mother, with whom he lives, was born in Gibson Co., Ind., Aug. 22, 1825. His grandfather, J. R. Field, born Jan. 23, 1803, is still living in this county. He has one brother living, William, born April 21, 1863, and four sisters, namely: Emeline, born Nov. 8, 1843, she was married to James M. Beverly April 19, 1866; Nancy Caroline, born June 27, 1846, died July 31, 1877; Joseph Riley, his brother deceased, was born Nov. 23, 1848, died Sept. 10, 1858; Elizabeth J., born Dec. 13, 1850, and twin sisters, Sarah L. and Florinda, born Aug. 5, 1858. Florinda was married to J. N. Dawdy April 5, 1874; Elizabeth J. was married to Francis M. Pryor, June 8, 1865. His grand-mother, Mrs. Field, was born in Kentucky, and died Dec. 15, 1853; his mother, Mrs. Anna J. Farmer, and heirs have 201 acres of improved land, valued at fifty dollars per acre, about one and a half miles northwest of the town of Breese
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 615(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


FAULKNER, H. T.
FAULKNER H. T., farmer, Sec. 23, P.O. Athensville. Born in Kentucky Dec. 12, 1828, and came to this State and county about 1848; was married Aug. 11, 1852 to Jennie R. Moore, of Greene County, born Sept. 12, 1833; this union was blessed by three children, viz.: Sophie E., born June 20, 1853, Jennie B., born Aug. 17, 1855, and Andrew J., born May 16, 1857. Mrs. Faulkner died Aug. 19, 1863; Mr. Faulkner was married again Oct. 19, 1864, to Margaret M. Vedder, of Pike Co., born May 14, 1837; four children have been born of this union, viz.: Florence C, born Oct. 16, 1866, died Aug. 16, 1867, Mary R., born Nov. 19, 1868, Cornelia J, born June 11, 1871, and Edward A., born March 15, 1873. Mr. Faulkner has devoted his industries solely to agricultural pursuits; homestead consists of 80 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 604(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FEATHERSON, THOMAS
FEATHERSON THOMAS, farmer, Sec. 12, P.O. Wrightsville, was born in England, Jan. 1, 1835, came to New York in the Spring of 1852, and to this county in 1858, and located on the section he now resides on. Was married Feb. 12, 1861, to Elizabeth Barnett. who is a native of this county. From this union they have three children: Wm. H., born in 1862, Nancy Jane, born in 1863; Dora E., born in 1868. Mr. Featherson owns 151 acres of land; is a member of the Republican party
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 632(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


FELTER, PETER
FELTER PETER, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 28, P.O.Kane, who ranks among the more prominent citizens of Greene County, was born in the State of New York, October 19th, 1819. In his fifteenth year his parents emigrated to the west and settled in Greene County, not far distant from the village of Kane. During his youth our subject proceeded to Carrollton, where he became apprenticed to the trade of a tailor, subsequently completing his trade in the city of St. Louis. Removing to Jersey County he engaged in boating, merchandising and farming, and there developed that force of character that laid the foundation for future success. In 1844 he was united in marriage to Miss Harriet Brambetta, a daughter of Elkanah Brambetta. Here were passed many years of his life, the latter were principally passed in farming. In 1866 he became a resident of Greene County, where he has since resided. After a life of almost unexampled activity, he has now reached that pinnacle of success open to all who display the same amount of energy that has marked Mr. Felter's career from boyhood. In the counties of Jersey and Greene he is the owner of some five hundred acres of valuable land, and also a valuable tract in Kansas. There were born of this marriage thirteen children, ten of whom are living: George, Josephine, Frank L., Mary, Cornelia, Flora, Delia, William, Blanche and Charles
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 751(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


FENITY, P.
FENITY P. physician and surgeon, residence Kane. Dr. Fenity is the oldest practicing physician of the enterprising town of New Kane; he is a native of Roscommon, Ireland, where he was born in the year 1827; he is the oldest son of John and Margaret Fenity, whose maiden name was McDonald; this family crossed the ocean during the Spring of 1840; in Canada our subject received his preliminary education, and also at Oberlin, Ohio, and became an apt scholar in the Knox College, and during the Spring of 1859 he became a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College; although he had owing to the rules of the establishment, practiced as a physician in 1857, a resident of the town designated as Old Kane, as early as 1855. Two years later he was united in marriage to Miss Helena E. Cory, a daughter of Rev. David Cory, whose ancestry are traced back to the May Flower. Four children are living, born of this marriage: Frank C, Edward W. Frederick H. and Clara. Dr. Fenity enjoys a large practice here, due to his many years of experience, and bears the reputation of a skillful practitioner
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 733(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


FESLER, T. H.
FESLER T. H. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 7, P.O. White Hall, was born in Indiana, in 1842. His father, Henry Fesler, was born in Kentucky, in 1803, emigrated to Pike County, Ill., in 1849; was married in Indiana in 1829, to Miss Elizabeth Chandler, who was born in Kentucky, in 1809; have ten children, six living. The subject of this sketch was six years of age when he came to Illinois; was married in Pike County, in 1863, to Miss Mary E. Patten, who was born in Pike County, in 1845; have five children: James E., deceased, Elizabeth, Charles M., John H., and Freddie. Mr. Fesler, when married, began farming and dealing in stock, which he followed till 1865; merchandising in Griggsville one year, butchering and stock dealing till 1867; farming one season, then moved to Greene County; farming a short time, removed to Pike County; bought a farm; staying one year, sold his farm, moved to Missouri, buying a farm; remained there five years; removed to Pike County, staying a short time, and removed to Greene County, where he still resides, farming
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 645(T11N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


FIELD, JAMES J.
FIELD JAMES J. one of the most prominent farmers of Greene County, was a resident of Indiana at twenty-five, and for a time worked in the Shackleford Salt Works; here he displayed great courage in punishing the most noted bully of the place. Moving to Alton he remained nearly two years and then moved to Greene County, and was then worth two horses, four wagons, and seventy-two dollars in money. His first purchase was 80 acres. By the display of no ordinary energy he is to-day the owner of over 2,000 acres in this county
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 615(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


FITZJARRELL, ROBERT
FITZJARRELL ROBERT, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 16, P.O. Greenfield. Was born in 1823, in Ohio; came to Greene County, Ill., with his father, Eli Fitzjarrell, in 1830, who was born in the State of Delaware in 1788, and reared in New Jersey; was married in 1812 to Tabitha Kelsey, who was born in New Jersey in 1793. The family emigrated to Ohio in 1814, living there for fifteen years: then moved to Greene County, Ill., in 1830, the year of the deep snow, and saw some of the privations of that winter among the old settlers of Greene County; entered 280 acres of land near Rock Bridge, Medora, in Jersey County. Eli Fitzjarrell died Dec. 20, 1855; his wife died Oct. 1857. The subject of this sketch was married Aug. 19, 1847, to Susanah Jolly, who was born March 11, 1827. Have four children: Edgar, born April 12, 1852; Carrie, Jan. 28, 1855; Levi, Jan 6, 1857; Francis E., Feb. 6, 1859. Mr. Fitzjarrell owns 120 acres of land, which he has made by his own exertions. His grandfather, Ambrose Fitzjarrell, was born March 10, 1753; was married to Deborah Barrot, who was born in 1757
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 622(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FORD, JOHN
FORD JOHN, farmer and stock raiser Sec. 36, P.O. Greenfield was born in Greene Co., Ill., Oct. 26, 1845; married Aug. 26, 1875, to Ellen L. Anderson, who was born March 18, 1855 in Greene Co.; have one child, Arthur S., born Oct. 5, 1876
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 622(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FORD, JOHN D.
FORD JOHN D. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 28, P.O. White Hall, was born in this county Dec. 26, 1837. He has been married twice: first, in Aug., 1863, to Lucinda J. Radcliff, who died Nov. 19, 1875; they had four children by this marriage, but only one is living, John R., born July 6, 1867. Married second time, March 19, 1876, to Eliza Cordelia Clark, born in this county in 1857; he has one child by last marriage which is yet very young. He lives on Schutz Heirs' farm on Long Lake, at the crossing of the C. & A. R.R.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 615(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


FORD, THOMAS
FORD THOMAS, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 32, P.O. Greenfield, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1819; emigrated to New York in 1842, and remained there, working for seven dollars a month till the Spring of 1843; then went to Jacksonville, Morgan Co., Ill., and worked for one hundred dollars per year; was married in Morgan Co. in 1845, to Elizabeth Hembrough, who was born in England, and emigrated to America with her parents when she was six years of age; have seven children living: John S., Thomas T., George B., Richard R., Francis A., William J., and Eddie F. When Mr. Ford came to America, he had the sum of $500 to start in life with; has worked hard during his life, and he now stands with the leading farmers of Greene County; owns 846 acres of land; has followed the occupation of a farmer all his life
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 622(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FORD, THOMAS R.
FORD THOMAS R. farmer and stockraiser, Sec. 16, P.O. Roodhouse. Thomas Ford was born in West Tennessee, December, 1842; youngest son of John and Viola Ford; receiving a subscription school education at such odd times as the work of the farm would permit. When the war came on he enlisted in Co. I, 12th Tennessee Infantry, for one year's service; engaged in following battles: Pittsburgh Landing, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Resakia, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, etc., etc. Returning to Tennessee when the war closed, he remained two years and then came to Scott Co., Ill., where he married Miss Mary E. Roberts, by whom he has five children, Rosa H., Nettie Ann, Laura V., Fannie J., and Lillie Belle. For the past four years a resident of Greene County; Mr. Ford owns 80 acres; at times follows teaching
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 552-3(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


FORD, THOMAS T.
FORD THOMAS T. farmer and stock raiser. See. 35, P O. Greenfield, born in Greene Co., Ill,, in 1847; is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Ford; was married 1876 to Eliza O. Richardson, who was born in Morgan Co., Ill., in 1854, is the daughter of William and Ann Richardson, of Jacksonville, Morgan Co.; have one child, William A., born Dec. 18, 1877
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 622-3(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FORD, WILLIAM F.
FORD WILLIAM F. who settled in Greene County in 1835, was the second child of James and Jane Ford, and was born in Tennessee in 1821; he was but seven years of age when his parents moved to Bond Co.; this was in 1828. After the location of the family in Greene County, they first farmed it on the Grand Pass and afterwards on the Sand Ridge. James Ford became a successful farmer and trader; in 1844 he met with great misfortune through the overflow of the river, that carried away a great deal of his personal property, and likewise damaged a great deal of his land; he died about 1863. William early became noted for his industry; on attaining his majority he was married to Miss Lucinda Drummond, a daughter of Benjamin. The first crop of small grain raised by Mr. Ford, was swept away by the flood mentioned. After many years of hard toil Mr. Ford has amassed a competence; he now owns of valuable land over 500 acres; he is among our most enterprising citizens who are progressive and liberal. Mr. Ford has a family of eight children whose names are, Sarah J., James S., Cynthia C, William Perry, Eliza Eldorado, Benjamin F., Mary Ida. Mrs. Ford has one daughter by a former marriage, Paulina
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 553(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


FOSTER, A. L.
FOSTER A. L. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 15, P.O. Greenfield, was born in 1852, in Greene Co , Ill., is the son of A. M. Foster, who is a native of Kentucky; came to Greene County in 1836; was married in Morgan County, in 1849, to Mary Larrimore, who is a native of Kentucky; Mr. Foster is a large land owner, in Greene County gio acres, and in Morgan County 240 acres, and town property in Jacksonville, where he now lives. His son, the subject of this sketch, was married in 1872, to Mary Morison, who was born in 1853 in Scott Co., Ill., is the daughter of Richard Morison, of Jacksonville; have three children, Fanny L., Harry R., Jennie K. Mr. Foster received his education at the Illinois College of Jacksonville, Morgan Co.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 623(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


FOSTER, D. T. CAPTAIN
FOSTER D. T. CAPTAIN, who has been proprietor of the popular resort, known as the Railroad Eating House, for the past three years in Roodhouse, was born in Washington Co., Vt., July 22, 1840; parents were, Elisha and Louisa Foster, natives of Vermont and New Hampshire. The father passed the remainder of his life in Indiana; his wife died in Vermont, during the Summer of same year. Captain Foster remained in Vermont until his majority. As this date was the breaking out of the rebellion he enlisted in Co. D, Vermont Vol., as private and arose to the rank of captain, being at first color-bearer, sergeant and first lieutenant; a participant in many battles, where he gained an enviable reputation for bravery on the field; honorably discharged June 29, 1865. He married in Bloomington, where he moved after the close of the war, Miss Lavilla Waltham, a native of Vermont; one child blessed this union, named Myra. Was a member of the police force at Bloomington; afterward Captain Foster came to Roodhouse, where he has gained a host of friends, who know him for a gentleman of culture and honor
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 570(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


FRECH, JACOB
FRECH JACOB, boot and shoe maker, P. O. Kane. Jacob Frech is a native of Germany, born in 1837; at the early age of fourteen, he embarked on board a sailing vessel and crossed the Atlantic for America; landing in the city of New Orleans, he remained a short time when he took passage on a steamer bound for St. Louis, where he became the apprentice of a shoemaker, becoming a skillful journeyman workman, in after years he conducted a business on his own responsibility. Formed the acquaintance of, and married Miss Catherine Rettig in 1867. Mr. Frech moved with his family to Illinois, locating in the village of Jalappa, where he became employed three years in the grist mill of Lewis Sundle; at the expiration of this time opening a shoe shop, where he remained until his location on his farm consisting of 115 acres of valuable land. When the war broke out Mr. Frech enlistened in Battery C, 1st Ill. Reg., and proceeded from Ottawa to the scene of warfare, and became a participant in many important battles, among them Resaca, Atlanta, Buzzard Roost, Dalton, etc., etc.; when the war closed he was honorably discharged at Springfield, Ill.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 733(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


FREETO, A. E.
FREETO A. E. watch-maker and U.S. express agt., Roodhouse, Ill. Mr. Freeto was born in Dupage Co., Ill., in 1852. His father, William Freeto, was a native of New Hampshire, who moved to Illinois in an early day; a tinner by occupation; he settled at Danby, now known as Prospect Park, where he died in 1860. The wife, a true type of those noble western women who shared the hardships of pioneer life in the West, with her husband, is now a resident of Sangamon County. A. E. Freeto, whose name heads this sketch, learned the trade of tinner, at Lemont, Ill., where he also clerked for J. A. Fisk & Co., hardware dealers, remaining eight years. He moved to Mechanicsburg, Sangamon Co., where he entered into a co-partnership with his brothers, J. H. and Geo. W. Freeto, firm name, J. H. Freeto & Bros. Here he remained for a period of two years, when he came to Roodhouse, where he became for some time, a partner of J. B. Ballard, in the hardware trade. At the present writing holds the position above stated
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 570(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


FROST, JOHN H.
FROST JOHN H. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 28, P.O. Kane. The above named gentleman is a native of Jersey County, born in 1841, the oldest son of William H. and Rebecca Frost. The days of his youth were spent upon the old farm homestead, where he early became inured to the hard work pertaining to the farm. In 1859 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary L. Tollman a daughter of Cyrus Tollman, one of the first settlers of Greene County. In 1862 Mr. Frost, who was then extensively engaged as a stock dealer, crossed the Plains with horses, by way of speculation, for the Pacific coast, which he sold at a fair profit. In 1865 he concluded to return to the scenes of his early youth, and accordingly settled on his return in Jersey County, and subsequently in Clay, settling in Greene County during the Autumn of 1874, upon the Tollman estate, the owner of 267 acres in Clay County. Of the marriage above referred to seven children were born, five of whom are living, and whose names are William, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Charles H. and James G.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 733(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


FRY, GEORGE
FRY GEORGE, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 22, P.O. White Hall. Among the early settlers of Greene County came the subject of this sketch; a native of North Carolina, he was born in 1800, where he resided until 1836. In his twenty-second year he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Grouse, by whom he had two children, Alvina and Anna E, Four years after her marriage, Mrs. Fry was laid at rest. In 1830 Mr. Fry was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Grouse, a sister of his former wife, by whom he had six children, John W., Christian S., Margaret M., Andrew F., George H., and Delphi E. Mr. F. came to Greene County in 1844; locating near White Hall, where he purchased a tract of 106 acres, the property he now owns; even at this date, Mr. F. relates, that he could go from Carrollton to Jacksonville, in Morgan Co., without hindrance across the tall prairie grass. His land, purchased on time, required all the energies of his nature to pay for. Many years ago the second wife of Mr. Fry passed away to a home not made with hands. In 1862 he was married to Mrs. Emma Townsend, relict of Andrew J. Townsend, and a daughter of Jacob Dodsman, who was once a well to do planter in the South
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 553(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


FRY, GENERAL JACOB
FRY GENERAL JACOB, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 24, P.O. Kane. As the career of General Fry is well known to the citizens of the State of Illinois and of Greene County, where he has borne so prominent a part, we will enter into no details, but merely relate facts, hoping thus to perpetuate the memory of one whose ability became recognized in the stirring scenes of western life. General Fry was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, on the 20th day of September, 1799. His father was Earnhardt Fry, a revolutionary soldier, and a native of Maryland. He was of German origin, a farmer by occupation, and served five years in the continental war. He was married to a Miss Swigart, who bore him six children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the youngest. In his own language: "I acquired a round log-cabin education." In his youth he worked at the carpenter trade. At the early age of twenty he became a resident of Greene County, his total possessions footing up to thirty-seven and a-half cents. He it was who built the first house in Carrollton. On the 25th of May, 1826, he was married at Carrollton, to Miss Emily Turney, a daughter of the late General James Turney, formerly of Tennessee. At the first County Court ever held in Greene County he was appointed constable and subsequently became deputy sheriff. Holding this position six years, he became sheriff of the county, and his efficiency was so apparent, that for five terms of two years duration, he held the position to the general satisfaction of all. In 1831 occurred the Black Hawk war, and Governor Reynolds, with his usual promptness, ordered out a brigade of mounted volunteers to the disputed territory, to repel the Indians. In this brigade Colonel Fry received the appointment of Lieutenant Colonel, in the regiment of which Henry was Colonel. This body of troops soon received marching orders, and subsequently were disbanded at Rock Island. In 1832, Colonel Fry was again called upon to take the field, and commanded a regiment of General Samuel Whiteside's brigade. The army was soon in motion, and proceeded to within a short distance of Rock Island, and up the river to Dixon where they encamped for several days, thence to Ottawa, where the troops were disbanded; and now, at the request of the Governor, he raised one regiment of the disbanded troops for twenty days service, to guard the frontier. At the expiration of this time the volunteers forming this regiment were disbanded. Colonel Fry proceeded to La- Salle, where he was elected colonel of a regiment of new levies, and subsequently formed a part of General Henry's brigade. Shortly after the regiment received marching orders, their first objective point being Mud Lake, near Rock River, whence they joined the regular troops under General Atkinson. Provisions were now scarce, and Henry was ordered by his superior officer to Fort Winnebago to get rations and return. Obtaining their supplies, the troops, after consultation between General Henry and Colonel Fry, hearing of the close proximity of the Indians, moved up the river, where they found trace of the marauders. On pursuing the trail they overtook the enemy at the Wisconsin River, where a sharp conflict of short duration took place, and late in the afternoon the enemy escaped across the river. The following morning General Atkinson came up with the main body, and joining General Henry's forces, were soon in hot pursuit of the enemy, bringing them to bay below the mouth of Bad Ax Creek. This fight ended the Black Hawk war, and for a time the Indian troubles in the northwest. Colonel Fry then took charge of the brigade and proceeded to Dixon, where they were mustered out of the service, to follow more peaceful pursuits. He was soon after made Brigadier General and subsequently Major General of the militia of Illinois. He was elected by the State legislature, during the sessions of 1836-7, as acting canal commissioner, and accordingly removed to Lockport during the winter of 1837. He served until 1846—a period of nine years, in this capacity, displaying marked ability. Remaining in Lockport, he entered upon a mercantile career, and in 1850 organized a party for the gold mines of California, and after an overland trip of some months duration, starting from Lockport on the first of April, he reached Sacramento on the second day of August. He was destined to remain for a period of three years, entering into mercantile pursuits, and turning his attention to mining, he became quite successful. His experience of former years had enabled him to grasp many difficult State problems, and on the golden coast he displayed an executive capacity that caused him to become the nominee of the Democratic party for the State Senate, receiving the election by an overwhelming majority. Serving in this honorable body through one session he then returned to Illinois, locating at Ottawa. By James Buchanan, and through the direct influence of his old friend. Judge Douglas, he received the appointment of the responsible position of collector of customs, at Chicago, and received, while the holder of this important position, the first unbroken cargo that entered that port. The tide in governmental affairs now began to turn, and the political excitement in many instances ran high; General Fry was outspoken in favor of his old friend, Stephen A. Douglas, then a member of the United States Senate, and was accordingly superseded by a more pliable successor. This removal as stated by the Secretary of the Treasury, to General Fry, in conversation at the city of Washington, was caused solely through his friendship for and warm admiration of the Little Giant. Eventually he returned to his old home in Greene County, where he was quietly pursuing the duties appertaining to his farm, when the war of rebellion came. He was well advanced in years, but he had a reverence for the old flag that had floated over many a battle field in the revolutionary struggle, and now when the tramp of armed feet resounded through many of our cities and towns, through the solicitation of Governor Yates, he organized the 61st Regiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and received from him the appointment of Colonel. Proceeding to the front from Carrollton, he bore a prominent part in the rebellion, where he became a participant in many important battles, especially that of Pittsburgh Landing. Resigning his commission through disability, since the war he has resided at his beautiful farm residence. For twelve years he has been deprived of sight through the exposures of war, but through well-directed efforts the declining years of his life are blessed with plenty, and no one in State or county evinces a more liberal disposition toward all things worthy, than the honored gentleman whose name heads this sketch. General Fry is the owner of 640 acres. His marriage to Miss Turney was blessed with five children: James, a graduate of West Point, holds the position of Adjutant General in the regular army; Sarah, now the wife of Douglas Fry, a wealthy Californian; William M., a captain in the late war, and proprietor of the Arcadia Mills at Carrollton: Edward M., a broker at San Francisco, and Julia, A., now the wife of George W. Ware, a merchant and banker of Jerseyville
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 751-753(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt