Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy Trails - Greene County, Illinois

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Home Page

Biographies - Index - I - J - K -
ISRAEL WILLIAM G.
ISRAEL WILLIAM G. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 17, P.O. Roodhouse. Mr. Israel was born at Griggsville, Pike County, Ill., in 1848, youngest son of James and Elizabeth Israel. James Israel was formerly a prominent merchant of White Hall, now retired, but still a resident of the place. His wife was Miss Elizabeth Grimes, by whom he had five children. Of William, who heads this sketch, it may be said, that at the time of the family departure for Greene County, he was a resident of Griggsville. This was in 1859, the family settling at White Hall, where the head of the family became a merchant, William becoming employed as clerk seven years. During this time, 1870, he was married to Miss Emma J. Webb, a daughter of Mrs. Sarah Grimes, formerly Mrs. Webb; one child, Hemax McKenzie. For the past three years Mr. Israel has followed farming, owning 40 acres in Tp. 12, R. 11
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 590(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


JACKSON AMOS
JACKSON AMOS, blacksmith, carriage and wagon manufacturer, Carrollton, Ill. The above named gentleman is a native of Greene County, born in the year 1832, the youngest of a family of six children. Working on the old farm homestead until his eighteenth year, he then became apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith and wagon maker at Greenfield. On serving his time he proceeded to Carrollton, where he worked as journeyman for a short time, and nine years ago embarked in his present enterprise and here has secured a fair share of public patronage through superior workmanship and reliability. In 1853 Mr. J. was united in marriage to Elizabeth D. Jackson, daughter of A. J. Jackson
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 483(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


JACKSON Wm. B.
JACKSON Wm. B. grocer and restaurant, w R.R. Roodhouse, Ill. Mr. Jackson was born in the State of Tenessee, July 18, 1842. His father was a very prosperous planter in the South until the war came on, when he met with many misfortunes incident to a time of war. Enlisting in Co. G, 10th Tenn. Cavalry, he was killed in battle near Knoxville. Wm. B. enlisted in the 26th Tenn. Inft. for twelve months, or during the war, and served in the capacity of third lieutenant, engaged in many important battles, as Murphrysboro, Chickamauga, etc., etc.; honorably discharged when the war closed, he returned to East Tennessee, thence to Middle Tennessee, and then to Illinois, locating near Roodhouse, in 1873, where he became employed on a farm. In 1875, he came to Roodhouse, entering into the above business, and meeting with good success, Mr. Jackson is a genial, kind-hearted man, who merits and receives a fair share of public patronage. In 1876, he was married to Miss Emma Sawyer, a daughter of Nathan Sawyer, a native of New York
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 571(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


JACOBI PHILLIP
JACOBI PHILLIP, blacksmith, Sec. 33, Rockbridge. Phillip was born in Noehern Amt St. Goarhausen, Province of Nassau, April 19, 1844. Is the oldest of a family of ten children, seven now living; born of Casper and Marie E. Jacobi. She was of the Colonius. In the Fall of 1853, they emigrated to this State, and settled in Macoupin Co., where they engaged in farming pursuits. Phillip remained at home until his eighteenth year, when he went to learn the trade he has since engaged in. Upon his departure from home, he spent the first four and a half years at Alton; and in 1867, went to Carrollton, where he remained a short time, then returning to Alton, where he contined two years, and better, then came to Rockbridge, and set up in the blacksmithing business; and has since continued at the same. In May 10, 1868, he was united in marriage to Anna Emmend; born Jan. 29, 1849, in Erie Co., Penn. Daughter of John and Catherine Emmend. By this union they have five children; all of whom are now living: Phillip, born Feb. 16, 1869; Loui, born April 10, 1871; William, born April 24, 1873; Anna, born Nov. 21, 1875; Henry, born July 4, 1878. Mr. Jacobi is meeting with success in his business. He is a member of the Rockbridge Cornet Band
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 681(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


JAMISON BENJAMIN
JAMISON BENJAMIN, farmer, Sec. 15, P.O. Athensville. Born in Tennessee, March 6, 1815, and came to this State with parents when about eight years of age. He is thus one of the early settlers, and closely identified with this county's growth. Married in 1843, to Sarah Wardwell, of Kentucky, born June 27, 1823. Three children were born of this union, viz.: William, Caroline, now wife of Jas. Corcoran, Morgan County, and Samuel. Mrs. Jamison died Dec. 17, 1866. Mr. J. has passed his whole life at the plow. His son, Samuel, was married Nov. 14, 1873, to Clarissa Haws, Macoupin County, and resides with his father at the homestead, comprising 80 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 606(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


JEFFERS JAMES
JEFFERS JAMES, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 4, P.O. White Hall, born in New York State, in 1835, came to Illinois with his father, Abraham Jeffers, who was a native of New York; was married twice, first to Mary Park, who died 1845, in Clark County, Ill.; married the second time to Mrs. Nancy J. Hamilton. He died in Clark County. 1850. The subject of this sketch was six years of age when he came to Clark County, Ill., living there till the late Rebellion and enlisted at Galesburg, in Co. E, 17th Illinois Regiment, in 1861, for three years, as private, participating in the battles at Frederickstown, Mo.; Fort Donaldson, Tenn.; Shiloh and Corinth; taken prisoner at Holly Springs, exchanged and sent to Vicksburg, Miss.; his time being out, was honorably discharged in 1864. Married twice; first time 1856, to Miss C. Varyan, two children, Molly, deceased, and Mattie. Married again June 6, 1877, to Mrs. Carrie Bloomfield
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 647(T11N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


JOHNSON A. J.
JOHNSON A. J. farmer. Sec. 3, P.O. Carrollton. There is not a man in this township born at the time he was, that is yet living on the same spot where born. He first came into existence Nov. 30, 1826, born of John and Mary J.; her maiden name was Maines. His father was a native of North Carolina, born March, 1792, and his mother is a native of Georgia, whose birth occurred the same year of her husband, July 27, 1792. She came to this State in the year 1808, when it was a wilderness; her husband came at the beginning of the war of 1812; their marriage occurring that year, nine children were the result of this marriage, seven of whom lived to be grown, A. J. being the youngest; but two are now living, A. J. and his younger sister. After the marriage he located near Edwardsville, where he engaged in farming; was during the time engaged in the " ranging service," being in pursuit of the Indians. In 1821, he entered the land on which A. J. resides, and on which he was born and is now living. The subject of this sketch was united in marriage June 11, 1857, to Catherine Huitt, born in this county May 17, 1837. She is a daughter of John Huitt. They have had seven children: Perlina E., Edna J., Mary A., Andrew J., William T., Joel, and Sabrilla. He has 150 acres of land. Himself, wife and three girls are members of the Baptist Church
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 710(T10N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


JOHNSON H. H.
JOHNSON H. H. farmer. Sec. 23, P.O. Breese, was born Aug. 18, 1838. He was married March 27, 1859, to Jane Gibson, daughter of James Gibson; she was born Nov. 15, 1838. They have one child, deceased, born April 8, 1860. He has an adopted son, William Williams, age, fourteen years. He is living on his brother's farm
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 616(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


JOHNSON JOHN P.
JOHNSON JOHN P. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 16, P.O. Roodhouse. Mr. Johnson is the oldest son, now living, of Henry and Nancy Johnson, who settled in Illinois in an early day, locating in Morgan County, where the old folks now reside, and where Henry Johnson is well known as an able minister of the gospel. Nearly all his life young Johnson has followed farming. During the present year he was married to Mrs. Cordelia Day, a daughter of W. F. Ford and widow of Nimrod L. Day, who died four years ago, from the effect of a gun shot wound received by accident. By her first husband Mrs. Johnson has two children, Nancy L. and Minnie L.; through him she also became heir to a valuable farm, consisting of 120 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 556(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


JOHNSON THOMAS M.
JOHNSON THOMAS M. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 10, P. O. Barrow. Mr. Johnson was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, December 5, 1823. He was in his fourth year when his parents set out for the State of Missouri, settling in Brown County, where the family remained some two years, and then moved to Greene County, in 1829. Thomas, from whom this sketch is obtained, relates that at this early stage of the county's progress deer were very numerous, and venison was frequently found on the family table. The father of Thomas has long since been gathered to his fathers. He was a most worthy man and a noble type of the western pioneer. His wife, who shared the privations of western life, still survives. There were many Indians still in Greene County, and when Thomas was a boy he became a frequent visitor of their camps. He was fourteen when he first attended school in a log cabin, where the studies consisted of spelling, reading, writing, and arithmetic. It has often fell to his lot to put in his time at a rough horse mill, common enough in early days. In his twenty-fourth year he was married to Miss Elizabeth Webb, a daughter of William Webb, by whom he had six children, two living. Mrs. Johnson died in 1859. In 1860 Mr. Johnson was married to Mrs. Lucinda Bradshaw, a daughter of Thomas Lorton and relict of Vance Bradshaw. Of this marriage seven children were born, six living. Mr. Johnson is a prosperous farmer, owning 189 acres of valuable land
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 556-7(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


JONES DAVID B.
JONES DAVID B. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 33, P.O. White Hall. Mr. Jones is worthy of more than a passing notice. He was born in Kentucky, near Sommerset, on the 9th of Nov., 1815. In his seventeeth year he accompanied his parents, Joshua and Eliza Jones, to the prairies of Southern Illinois, where they settled on what is now called Lorton's Prairie. Here the head of the family, a very industrious man, erected the first frame building. Joshua Jones, who, as heretofore mentioned, was the head of the family, became an exceedingly prosperous farmer, who is well remembered by the older settlers of Greene County. He passed away in 1868. His wife, who died during the earlier years of David, was a most estimable woman, whose memory is cherished to this day. David, reared amid pioneer associations, attained a vigorous energy that counted in after years. In 1840 he was married to Miss Elvira Davis, a daughter of the late Daniel Davis. Mr. and Mrs. Davis first began housekeeping in the usual pioneer cabin, on the property they now own, consisting of 160 acres. Like his worthy parents Mr. Jones is disposed to be generous. Two children born of this marriage, Rebecca A. and Asbury W.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 590(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


JONES JOHN
JONES JOHN. Among the officers of Greene County none are more worthy special notice than our worthy Sheriff, John Jones, a life long resident of Greene County. He was born on the old homestead of his parents, Josiah and Elizabeth Jones, in 1839. The early years of his life were spent upon the farm situated near Wilmington, where he obtained a liberal education in the district schools of his native place, afterwards attending a graded school situated in the city of Jacksonville. Proceeding to Chicago, he there entered upon a course of classical studies. In the counties of Morgan and Sangamon Mr. Jones for some time followed the vocation of a school teacher. In 1865 he united his fortunes to Miss Minerva E. Patterson, a a daughter of Lemuel J. Patterson, by whom he has five children: Minnie F., Norman L., Lucy M., Howard and Cora M. In 1866 Mr. Jones entered into a copartnership business with L. J. Patterson and James Howard for the transaction of a general merchandise business, the firm name being Jones, Patterson & Co. In 1871 the firm dissolved by mutual consent, the senior member retiring to his farm, there following the duties pertaining to this independent calling until his appointment as County Superintendent of Schools and deputy sheriff. In the separate capacities he proved equal to the duties incumbent thereto, serving two years as deputy sheriff under N. J. Andrews and two years under F. M. Bridges. In 1876 his ability was recognized and he became the popular candidate on the Democratic ticket for the responsible position of sheriff. He was elected by the largest majority ever polled for the sheriff's position, and during the present year, by the earnest wish of his many friends here, he accepted the nomination again to serve in this capacity, being again elected and further notice will be given in the general history of this volume
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 483-4(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


JUDD J. S.
JUDD J. S., agent at White Hall, Ill., for the Neosha Valley Lands of Kansas, was born at Potosi, Wisconsin, in 1836. His father was Corbin C. Judd, of whom we here extend a short notice; he was born near Cincinnati, in 1800. In his younger days he was a school teacher, in after years a minister of the Gospel. In 1818 he married Miss Nancy Lakin, of Ohio; shortly afterwards he moved to Mechanicsburg, Sangamon County, Illinois. Remaining several years, he taught school; from here he went to Wisconsin, thence to Iowa. In 1847 he located near White Hall, Greene County; in the Autumn of 1847 he enlisted for the Mexican War in Captain Little's Mexican Dragoons; he died at Pueblo, Mexico, through exposure. Mr. Judd was a brave soldier; anon-commissioned officer. The family then consisted of wife and seven children, of whom J. S. was the fifth child. A stout healthy boy of twelve, barefooted generally, and working for six dollars per month; at 16 his mother died. He now worked steadily for neighboring farmers, his highest pay being twenty dollars per month, but by economy he saved some money. At 21 he came to White Hall and engaged as a clerk to Reno & Barrow, who were doing a business of $40,000 a year. One year later he entered into partnership with S. H. Culver & Co., firm name Judd, Culver & Co. At the end of three years, after a successful business, he entered into partnership with A. Barrow. In 1860 his health gave way through overwork, and he accordingly made a trip to the Rocky Mountains. In 1862 he entered the service of Uncle Sam, enlisting in Co. I, 91st III, Inft.; he was appointed 2d Sergeant, but was shortly promoted to 1st Lieutenant. When the war closed he returned to White Hall, opening the first exclusively grocery and provision store in the town. For seven years he conducted a very successful business, when he sold to Myntinger & Baker. For the past three years Mr. Judd has been agent for Kansas lands. For description see business directory. January 3, 1867, Mr. Judd was married to Miss M. J. Culver, a daughter of Dr. Culver, who died at White Hall, in 1869. On January 20, 1870, Mr. Judd married Miss L. A. McCollister, by whom he has three children: Norman, Herman and Corbin. Mr. J. is a strict advocate of temperance
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 530-31(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


KALAHER MICHAEL
KALAHER MICHAEL, restaurant, tobaccos, cigars, etc., etc., south side Square. The subject of our notice, who ranks among the more successful business men of Carrollton; is a native of County Clare, Ireland, and was born in 1845. He was the third child of a family of thirteen children. He was yet a child when his parents, Patrick and Margaret, whose maiden name was Doolan, concluded to better their fortunes in a land devoted to freedom, and accordingly the year 1854 found the family, consisting of father, mother and six children embarked on a sailing vessel for America. Before proceeding further in our narrative we here append a short description of the head of the family, who first represented the name in America. He was born in the County of Clare, Ireland; during his early years following agricultural pursuits, and during the prime of life was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss Margaret Doolan, and shortly after sailing for America. We now follow the fortunes of the family in America, more particularly the subject of our notice, who, on arriving in Greene County, in the vicinity of Carrollton, first turned his attention to farming, being quite successful and the owner of valuable farm property. In his twentieth year Mr. K. was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Feely, a native of Ireland, by whom he has eight children. Four years ago Mr. Kalaher embarked in business in Carrollton. In conclusion we may safely state that Mr. K. has become more than ordinarily successful in life, owning valuable city property. Like all of his race his liberality and enterprise in all things worthy is well known
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 484(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


KASER JOHN
KASER JOHN, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 19, P.O. Carrollton. The above named gentleman, although not ranking as an early settler, takes a leading position as an agriculturist; is a native of Switzerland; he was born in the year 1819. When quite young he became apprenticed to the trade of ribbon making, a trade not common here; in Switzerland many of the inhabitants were engaged in its manufacture; Mr. Kaser entered upon this important branch of manufacturing at fifteen; continuing in this employment until arriving at his twenty-fifth year, when he concluded to cast his fortunes in America. With all his years of hard labor, comparatively speaking, he was penniless on arrival here. Landing in the City of New Orleans on the 7th of May; on the 15th of the same month the steamer on board which he was a passenger landed in the City of St. Louis. While here he learned that a colonization scheme, projected in his native land, for the foundation of homes in America, had fallen through. As the customs of Switzerland differ materially from ours it was supposed by many of the inhabitants that 160 acres of our Illinois prairie could comfortably support at least 500 persons. Many of those who had built this airy castle realized the impossibility of the scheme on their arrival here, as fever and ague was abundant, and quinine comparatively unknown. From St. Louis Mr. Kaser made his way to Greene County, where he first entered the employ of Luman Curtius; for him he worked fourteen years; during this time, in 1849, he was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Curtius, a sister of his employer. Shortly after his marriage Mr. Kaser purchased a tract of land comprising 200 acres in T. 10 R. 11; here he remained five years, when he disposed of his property and moved to Carrollton. In 1857 he purchased 200 acres where he now lives, moving from Carrollton to his farm in 1861. Since this period he has accumulated a large landed property, owning 480 acres. In 1875 Mrs. Kaser was laid at rest in the beautiful cemetery at Carrollton, a handsome monument marking the spot. In 1876 Mr. K. was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Prentice, a daughter of Rev. Amos Prentice. For the past six years Mr. Kaser has filled the office of Township Trustee. One specialty that Mr. Kaser has in connection with farming is worthy of note and perhaps unparalleled in Greene Co, This year he offers for sale over three hundred bushels of clover seed of a very superior quality. When the Carrollton Bank was organized in 1877, his personal integrity was recognized and accordingly he became a stock holder and the vice-president of one of the soundest banking institutions in the West. In 1867 Mr. K., accompanied by his wife made a tour of Europe, visiting the City of London, Paris Exhibition, and enjoying the magnificent scenery of his native place. Mrs. Kaser is a distant relative of George D. Prentice who was for many years editor of the Louisville journal
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 519-20(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


KEELEY H. C.
KEELEY H. C. the only photograph artist in White Hall, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1844; reared amid the rugged mountains of this grand old State, until his sixth year, his parents then moved to Ohio, where the head of the family became a merchant; at the end of three years he moved to Indiana, where he entered into the dry goods business, at Bluffton, conducting a successful trade. With his father young Keeley clerked for three years. He was 17 when the war came on, and accordingly enlisted as a drummer boy. His regiment was known as the I2th Indiana; the regiment was soon on the march to the front, Mr. Keeley serving in the capacity of drum major; he was with Sherman in his famous march to the sea; also in the Potomac campaign. After the war closed he traveled extensively over the United States. At Winchester, Scott County, Ill., he first learned photography. Coming to White Hall, June, 1871. he opened a photograph gallery; a skillful workman, he secured a large patronage. In 1872 Mr. Keeley was married to Miss Belle Woods, of Winchester; has two children
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 531(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


KEELEY JACOB
KEELEY JACOB, druggist, P.O. Rockbridge; is the second child by a second marriage, of a family of nine children; born of Jesse and Celicia Keeley; the former a native of Chester Co. Pa., and the latter of Mercer Co., Ky. They came to this State many years ago; Jesse in the year 1830, and his wife in 1817. The latter died Oct. 10, 1870, and the former is now living, and resides in Carrollton. Jacob first saw the light of day Nov. 6, 1844; and up to the time he was eighteen years of age, he was engaged at home assisting his father in the farm duties, and attending school. About this time he moved with his parents to Greenfield, where he attended the High school for two years and a half; he then being well versed in the elementary branches and the sciences. He then engaged in teaching, and continued at this until the Fall of 1872; when he went to Ann Arbor, attended lectures, and completed his course in Chemistry. He having now come to a realization of his boyish dreams—that of being qualified to enter the business of his choice—in the beginning of the year 1874. he began in the drug business at Rockbridge, and sold the first drugs in the town. In Jan. 29, 1878, he formed a partnership matrimonial, with M. E. Clark; daughter of Walker Clark, of Indiana. Mr. Keeley is Republican in sentiment. Is a member of the Masonic order, Sheffield Lodge 687
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 681(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


KEELEY JESSE
KEELEY JESSE, retired farmer, Carrollton, Ill. Born within thirty-five miles of Philadelphia, May 20, 1808. His father, Coonrad Keeley, married Miss Anna M. Essick, by whom he had nine children; Jesse was the fifth. When seven years of age his parents moved to Somerset, Pa. When Jesse was thirteen he moved to Westmoreland, Pa., where he hired out as a barkeeper, remaining five years. Removing to Somerset he was apprenticed to a blacksmith; on account of his employer's drunken habits he did not remain long before he proceeded to Bedford, Pa., where he served his apprenticeship under Daniel Shuck, whom he remembers with feelings of gratitude to this day. He was married April 17, 1832, to Miss Mary C. Whittaker. In 1836 Mr. Keeley located at Alton, Madison County, remaining one year; he then moved to Scarritt's Prairie; here he opened shop. He remained here two years, and then moved to String Prairie, near Dover, between Carrollton and Greenfield and while residing here his wife died, Sept. 11, 1842, leaving to the care of her husband three children: Daniel S. (a major during the late war), Cyrus H. and Charles W. Jan. 24, 1843, Mr. Keeley was married to Cecilia Curry, by whom he had ten children, three living, Jesse Jr., Jacob and Nancy E. Mr. Keeley took up his residence at Greenfield, where his wife died Oct. 10, 1870. November 1, 1876, Mr. Keeley was married to Mrs. Violetta E. Goodrich, daughter of Ansil Hubbard and relict of Heman Goodrich. We have thus related in a brief manner the life career of one who has won his way to a competence through his own exertions
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 484-5(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


KELLER LEONARD
KELLER LEONARD, deceased, was born near Manchester, Scott County, January 4, 1835, where many years of his life were passed away amid the scenes of youth; in 1859 he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Moore, a daughter of James K. Moore; two years later Mr. Moore made his way to Greene County, where he purchased an 80 acre tract of land, part of the property now owned by Mrs.Keller, here he followed the pursuits of agriculture until his decease which occurred in 1876. The possession of that energy that distinguishes the pioneer of long ago, an upright citizen, his loss was deeply felt in the community in which he lived; to the care of a devoted wife he left a family of three children: Ella, Georgia and Cora; the estate comprises 120 acres in this township, is a valuable tract on which Mrs. Keller lately erected a handsome farm residence
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 590(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


KELLEY JOHN D.
KELLEY JOHN D. contractor and builder. Mr. Kelley was born in Ohio, in 1834; when but five years of age his parents moved to Illinois, and located in Coles County; here the head of the family settled on land which he brought to a high state of cultivation; after a successful battle with the world he passed peacefully away to a home not made with hands. There thus passed away another old landmark, who paved the way, in a measure, for the comforts we now enjoy. John was the second child of a family of seven children. Growing to manhood in Coles County, he received a liberal education; at 17 he became apprenticed to the trade of a carpenter and joiner, serving three years. One year from this time he went to Lafayette, Ind., where he worked at his trade. Removing to Charlestown, Coles County, he became a successful contractor and builder. When the war came on he enlisted in company C, 54th III. Inf., for three years' service, or during the war; honoraably discharged in 1865, he moved to Adams County, and thence to White Hall, where he is largely engaged as a contractor and builder. Mr. K. is far above the average workman, a man of energy and decision of character. Parties contemplating building will do well to take note of this. In 1861 Mr. Kelley was married to Miss Arila Mariefield, a native of Illinois; there are five children: Nicholas, Mary, John, Joshua and Lizzie M.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 531(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


KELLY, ANNA LOUISE COMBRINK
Mrs. Anna Louis Combrink Kelly was born east of Carrollton, October 16, 1859, the daughter of William H. and Catherine Von Brock Combrink. She was united in marriage to W.C. Kelly on March 14, 1882.

Four Presidents were assassinated during her lifetime, Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield and Kennedy. She recalledd that the people in Greene County learned of Lincolns death a day after it happened. A horseback rider rode through the countryside spreading the news. She was 21 years old when President Garfiled was shot July 2, 1881, 41 when President McKinley was shot September 6, 1901 and 103 when President Kennedy was shot November 22, 1963. She often recalled the political campaigns of the post Civil War period with speeches being made from wagons and torchight parades.

Mrs. Kellys husband preceded her in death, December 9. 1945. She passed away April 3, 1966 at the age of 106. She was survived by three sons, Robert, Walter and Don Kelly. Four daughters, Mrs. Mayme Vaughn, Mrs. L.A. Flick, Mrs. Ada Ballardd and Mrs. Frances Geers. Two sons, Fred and Lee, preceded her in death.
Source: "Carrollton 1818 - Illinois - 1968: An Album of Yesterday and Today", Published by Carrollton Business and Professional Womens Club to commemorate Carrolltons Sesquicentennial. Bio: located on page 43]
Added by Koni Proctor - 7-8-2016



KEMP JAMES F.
KEMP JAMES F. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 16, P.O. Roodhouse. Mr. Kemp was born in Tennessee, January 10, 1825. he was the second child of Murphy and Anna Kemp. He was two years old when his mother died, and in 1829 or 1830, his father, accompanied by a small family of children, among whom was James, set out for Illinois, locating four miles northwest of Winchester, in Scott County, where a crop was raised and a cabin rented, in which to live. Murphy Kemp proved a good farmer and a successful trader. He passed away some six years ago. He was twice married; his second wife dying some years prior to her husband. Young Kemp received a good common school education. When the Mexican War broke out, in 1846 he enlisted in Co. H, 1st Reg. III. Vol., and became engaged in the famous battle of Buena Vista. On being honorably discharged from the service, he returned to Scott County, and the following year was married to Samantha Jobanion, a daughter of Garrett and Martha Jubanion; shortly after he purchased farm property and also had an interest in a saw mill. Mr. K. has bought and sold a great deal of farm property, and now owns 120 acres in Greene. There were tight children born of this marriage; seven are living: Martha A., Mary E., John W., Emily E., Margaret A., Edgar L., Sarah E.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 557(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


KENDALL N.
KENDALL N. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 11, P.O. White Hall, was born June 19, 1815, in the State of Maine; was married to Minerva Smith, Oct. 13, 1842, who was born Dec. 10, 1824, in Greene County, Ill.; have twelve children: Marilla E. born July 30, 1843; Francis, born Jan. 25,1846; Sarah O, born Feb. 12, 1848; Cornelia A. born Sept. 17, 1849; Theresa A, born Oct. 24, 1851; Ira H. born March 18, 1854; Ida E. born March 20, 1858; Allen S. born March 27, 1859; May B. born May 11, 1860, deceased; Mary, born Dec. 31, 1862; Bentley, born Feb. 18, 1866; Normal, born Feb. 16, 1869. The father of the subject of this sketch was a native of Maine; came to Illinois in 1831; was married to Sarah McLain, a native of Maine, having five children. The subject of this sketch is the fourth child, and owns 220 acres of fine farming land, and is one of the leading farmers of Greene County
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 648(T11N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


KENNEDY CALVIN
KENNEDY CALVIN, retired salesman; residence Maple avenue. Mr. Kennedy is a native of Madison County, born in 1853. Receiving a liberal education he first embarked in business at Hardin, Calhoun County, Ill., where he clerked for S. G. Lewis, late attorney, for many years at Carrollton. Remaining three years where he had part interest, he located at Carrollton, where he officiated as clerk for Oman Pierson, afterwards with Wright & Laning in the capacity of clerk, and on leaving the employ of this firm he embarked in the clothing trade with a winter stock, transacting a successful business until the destruction of the building by fire. Mr. K. is known here as an energetic business man
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 485(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


KENNEDY MILES
KENNEDY MILES, Sec. 29, P.O. Berdan, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, Oct. 30, 1844, and in Feb. 1866, came to Brown County, remaining one year; then came to this county in the Spring of 1868. In Sept. 1861, he enlisted in the United States service, 33d regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, where he remained nearly four years, until the close of the war, when he received an honorable discharge. Mr. Kennedy was engaged in several of the most hotly contested battles that occurred during the war — Chicamauga, Mission Ridge, Atlanta, Stone River, Peach Tree Creek, and all of the battles that occurred during that memorable Atlanta campaign. Mr. Kennedy is now married to Laura Andrews, daughter of Stephen and Lucretia Andrews; the above marriage occurred Sept, 6, 1877. Mr. Kennedy is engaged in farming pursuits, and is a young man deserving of success
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 634(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


KERGHER CONRAD
KERGHER CONRAD, dealer in furniture, mirrors, caskets, coffins; south side Public Square, Carrollton, Ill. The above named gentleman, one of the most enterprising business men within the borders of Greene County, is a native of Germany, born Sept. 7, 1826. In his twentieth year he determined to make America his future home, and accordingly, without entering into particulars relative to the voyage, the year 1846 found our youthful emigrant a resident of Greene County, with a capital of fifty cents in money, but strong will and energy. He found times somewhat out of joint, and accordingly, although a cabinet maker by trade, hired out as carpenter. About 1851 Mr. K. rented the building owned by John Long, and began the manufacture of furniture. To use his own language Mr. K. had for the first few years a hard row to travel, entering into direct competition with others who had both capital and a trade established, but he eventually won the day, as his superior work soon found its way into the homes of many of the best families, and now, after many years of stubborn toil and manly grit is the owner of the largest, most commodious and solidly built building in Greene County, in which he keeps constantly on hand an elegant assortment of furniture, unequaled for durability and style in the west, and parties contemplating purchasing will do well to bear this in mind, and instead of going to St. Louis to please remember that home industry is worthy of patronage; that all is not gold that glitters; and that the latest styles of furniture can be purchased as cheaply here as elsewhere
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 485(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


KERNS HIRAM
KERNS HIRAM, farmer, Sec. 26. P.O. Rockbridge. Is a native of Old Virginia; born in Frederick Co., Oct. 5, 1853, is the third of a family of seven children; born of Abner and Sarah Kerns. His mother dying at an early age, the family was then broken up and he was left to shift for himself, and at the tender age of twelve years, when most boys have just fairly begun their school days, he launched out in the world to meet with its tempests, and contend with its storms. He drifted about considerable up to the age of twenty; at this time he had learned the blacksmith's trade, and then run one on his own account. Mr. Kerns has had a varied experience in life. At the breaking out of the war he had accumulated considerable property, but being a strong Union man, the Confederates showed him no mercy and he was stripped of everything he had in the way of effects—he was virtually ruined. He then was employed to do guard duty on the Baltimore & Ohio R, R. Mr. Kerns has been twice married; first to Elizabeth Hardy, July 17, 1856; had four children, three now living: Mary E., born July 18, 1857; Cornelia W., born Sept. 8, 1859; William G., born April 6, 1862. Wife died in 1863. He abandoned the blacksmith's trade and began farming, and has since continued at the same. Aug. 29, 1865, was married second time to Mary J. Lutterill; she was born Dec. 1, 1843. They have had five children: Catherine R. S., born Aug. 17, 1866; Martha R., born Sept. 12, 1868; Aaron E., born Aug. 31, 1874; Anna I., born Aug. 25, 1877. Nov. 22, 1872, he emigrated to this State and county, and is now farming on the land owned by W. H. Dummers, near Rockbridge
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 681-2(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


KESSINGER DANIEL
KESSINGER DANIEL, farmer, Sec. 27, P.O. Wrightsville. Among the old settlers of this township is Daniel Kessinger, who is a native of Hart County, Kentucky, born Nov. 13, 1811; was next the youngest of a family of seven children by his father's first wife. Jacob and Rebecca, the parents of Daniel, are natives of the same county and State. Daniel's mother's name, prior to her marriage, was Clendennen. The advantages Daniel had, when young, for schooling were unfavorable indeed, and what he did receive was in those rude log structures of the time. At the age of 19 he made a trip to Tazewell County, on horseback, staid eleven months, and returned to Kentucky, where he remained about thirteen years. In March 7, 1832, married Rachel McCombs, of Byron County, Kentucky, near Mammoth Cave. She was born Oct. 24, 1813. By this marriage they have had twelve children, nine of them living: William, Porterfield F., James C, Woodford T., Charles A., and the girls are: Perlina E., Sarah F., Prudy Jane and Louretta, all of them married and well settled in life, and every member from the parents down belong to the U. Baptist Church. Nov., 1847, Mr. Kessinger, wife and six children emigrated to this State with an ox team and located in this county; first began renting, which he followed for seven years, then bought 120 acres of land where he now resides. His wife has for the last fifteen years served in the capacity of midwife, and has been very successful. Mr. Kessinger has not been a man that was eager after this world's goods, but has been reasonably content with a good living and a sufficient competency for his old age. Has taken but little interest in political matters, but is a staunch Democrat; in short, there is no man in the township more highly respected than he is, being religiously honest, and conscientiously just. He has raised a family of children who are an honor to him and to the community in which they reside. His wife has been a member of the U. Baptist Church for near half a century
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 634(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


KESSINGER WILLIAM
KESSINGER WILLIAM, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 27, P.O. Wrightsville; was born in Baron County, Kentucky, April 11, 1834; is the first child of nine children of Daniel and Rachel Kessinger, who were also born in Kentucky. In 1847 they moved to this county and have since been identified with the interests of the county. In Jan. 1, 1856, was married to Cassandria Davidson, daughter of John Davidson; they have had seven children, viz.: Ettna J, born Dec.3,1858, died Feb. 1875; Laura, born Feb. 16, 1859; John L. born Jan. 4, 1857; Rachel, born Aug. 8, 1863, lived 9 months and 8 days; Louisa, born Jan. 31, 1864; Thomas A. born Aug. 22, 1867; infant died March 29, 1864. Mr. Kessinger has 540 acres of land, has the best of buildings and farm improvements, the best in the township and but few better in the county. Mr. Kessinger for several years past has been engaged in shipping stock and grain in connection with his farming, and has been successful in his operations; is a safe dealer, buying and selling on the market. Mr. Kessinger is known as an upright and conscientious man in his dealings, a good neighbor, and worthy citizen, and now ranks among the wealthy and opulent farmers in the county
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 634-5(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


KINCAID M. A.
KINCAID M. A. grocery, Greenfield; was born in the town of Manchester, Morgan County, July 12, 1841; was the last of a family of seven children of Wm. and Elizabeth Kincaid, who were natives of Kentucky. His father and mother dying before he had any recollection of them; but an aunt of his took him in charge and gave him what counsel and cheer she could. Moved with his aunt to Petersburg, Menard County, at an early age, remaining there until he was thirteen years of age, when he came to the town of Greenfield, and for several years worked out among the farmers and at what jobs he could obtain, until his enlistment in the U. S. service; went out in the 14th Reg. Ill., Vol. Co. D; remained with the regiment seven months when he was discharged on account of disability, by disease contracted while in the service. Upon his return home, engaged as a clerk for Mrs. Ellis; subsequently to this clerked for Eli Lee. Then went into business with Capt. Bryant, which partnership lasted about seven months, then sold out and came to Greenfield and embarked in the grocery business on the north side of the Square, and has since continued at the same. Sept. 1, 1864, was united in marriage to Cassandra Saxton, daughter of Rev. W. T. Saxton; had seven children, viz: Ola D., born June 17, 1865; William A., born Nov. 27, 1866; Arthur, born June 1, 1867; Howard, born Oct. 20, 1869; Minnie, born Oct. 20, 1871; Siloa, born July 26, 1875; Guy, born Oct. 25, 1878. Upon his arrival here in Greenfield, associated with him as partner Valentine Caswell. After the dissolution of this firm, conducted the business alone, then associated with Mr. N. L. Cunningham, which partnership was not a profitable one for Mr. Kincaid, as he sloped with the funds of the firm, was never heard of since. Mr. Kincaid is Republican in sentiment
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 682(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


KINDER G. M.
KINDER G. M. merchant, Rockbridge, was born in Warren County, Ohio, September 7, 1S30. His father's name was John, his mother's maiden name Sarah Maxwell. His father being a farmer, George was raised up with the plow, and in 1855 made a prospective tour to this State, but did not locate permanently until 1864, when he came to Marine, Madison County, where he was engaged as a clerk; remained there until 1871, then went to Edgewood, Effingham County, where he staid four years; May, 1875, came to Rockbridge, and associated with T. R. Murphy, in the mercantile busisiness. Mr. Kinder is a strong prohibitionist, a member of the Presbyterian Church, also a member of Knights of Honor No. 1017. March 1, 1879, associated with him in business C. W. Rives, born May 27, 1857, son of Judge Rives of this township; they keep a general store: groceries, dry goods, notions, boots and shoes, hats and caps, seeds, etc., and at prices to suit
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 682(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


KING ALEXANDER
KING ALEXANDER, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 26, P.O. Athensville, Born in Indiana, Jan. 18, 1820, and was brought to this county by his parents at the early age of one year, and has resided here ever since, thus having grown up as it were with the county, and one whose interests are closely identified with its improvements. Married Oct. 30, 1845, to Mary, daughter of William and Sarah Waggoner, born in Kentucky, Sept. 17, 1825. This union has been blessed by seven children, of whom only four are living, viz.: David F., born Jan. 7, 1853, now County Superintendent of schools; Stephen A. Douglas, born Aug. 14, 1855; Sarah M., born April 28, 1858, now wife of George Wood, Greene County; and Samuel T., born June 11, 1864. Mr. King was elected constable of Carrollton in 1844, justice of peace in 1852, and representative to State Legislature in 1858, fulfilling the duties of each with entire satisfaction to his constituents, and honor to himself. He was for many years a prominent business man of Athensville, being the leading dry goods merchant, but retired about eight years ago, since which time he has devoted his industries to agricultural pursuits. His farm consists of 455 acres, about 300 of which is under cultivation
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 606(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


KING AQUILA
KING AQUILA, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 14, P.O. Greenfield, was born in Kentucky, March 14, 1825; emigrated from Kentucky with his father, A. King, sr., to Missouri in 1835, who was a native of Georgia, living in Missouri for twenty years, then came to Illinois in 1855; was married, in 1805, to Pamelia Gatewood, who was a native of Georgia, and died in Missouri in 1850; the father died in Illinois in 1870. The subject of this sketch was married, in 1861, to Miss P. T. Larimore, who was a native of Morgan Co., Ill.; have three children by this marriage: Austin, Mary (deceased), Emory (deceased); wife died 1867. Mr. King married again in 1873, to Mrs. Mary Hodge, who was born in Greene County, May 4, 1838; two children by this marriage: Thomas R., Charles A. Mr. King owns 160 acres of land, has followed farming all his life, except one year, when he was in the lumber business in Greenfield
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 623(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


KING CHARLES
KING CHARLES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 2, P.O. Carrollton, was born in Sheffield, England, in 1821, living in his mother country till 1842, he then left his native home for this western country with his parents, landing in New Orleans, came up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, then made their way to Greene County. His father, Thomas King, bought forty acres of land and farmed till his death in 1862. His wife, Lydia, died in 1863. The subject of this sketch was a cutler by trade, which he learned in his native home, from his father, but has not worked at his trade since he came to America only to handle the knives and forks that he now has, from the horns of a deer killed in Greene County. He was married in 1845, to Nancy Crotchett, who was born in Pope County, Illinois, 1830; her parents were among the old settlers of Illinois. Mr. King's family was blessed with six children, four living: Martha E., born Nov. 13, 1846; William A., born Feb. 1, 1849, deceased; Paulina, born Feb. 14, 1851; Mary L.. born May 15, 1853; Lydia A., born Aug. 5, 1856; Esther, born May 12, 1860, deceased. Mr. King owns 520 acres of land
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 770(T9N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


KING D. F.
KING D. F. County Superintendent of Public Instruction, is a native of Texas; born in 1853. He was the third child of a family of seven children. Of his parents we enter into a short description: The head of the family, Alexander King, is a native of Greene County, Illinois; for a number of years he became well known as a merchant at Athensville, this county, and in 1859 became a member of the State Legislature, serving through one session. Since his retirement from office, he has followed merchandising and farming, owning some 500 acres in Greene County; for the past fourteen years he has turned his attention strictly to agricultural pursuits, where he takes a leading position as an agriculturist. In his twenty-second year he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Waggoner, of Greene. As further notice will be given relative to the seven members of this family, we now follow the fortunes of him whose name stands at the head of this sketch. Receiving a preliminary education at Athensville and Waverley, in Morgan County, he proceeded to Blackburn University, in Macoupin County, and thence to the Iowa Wesleyan University, where he entered upon a course of classical studies. During the Autumn of 1874, Mr. King was united in marriage to Miss Nancy E. Morrow, a daughter of Jesse Morrow, by whom he has two children, Jesse A. and John B. Nov., 1877. Mr. King was elected to the responsible position of County School Superintendent, filling office to the general satisfaction of all
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 485(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


KING JOSEPH N.
KING JOSEPH N. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 34, P.O. White Hall. Mr. King was born in Greene Co., in 1830; his father, a native of England, crossed the Atlantic in an early day, and after remaining a short time in the East, made his way to Greene County, III., where he turned his attention to farming and stock raising; in 1833 he was married to Miss Sarah Lindsay; in a rough log cabin, where the pioneer housewife wove and spun for the children, many happy years were passed away among a people whose generosity was unbounded, who frequently assisted each other in the erection of a cabin, where the best of humor prevailed; many years have gone by since this pioneer was wont to attend the rude horse mill, or make long trips by wagon to procure the necessaries of life for his family. The parents of Joseph have long since passed to a home not made with hands. In giving due notice of Joseph King, it may be said that from his earlier years he has followed farming; receiving a liberal education in the district schools, and with an ambition to acquire greater knowledge, he attended the McKendrick College, situated near St. Louis, here pursuing the higher English studies; in his twentieth year he was united in marriage to Mrs. Elizabeth Morrow, daughter of James Rawlings, and relict of Samuel Morrow; in the counties of Piatt and Greene Mr. King owns 318 acres, and is among the more substantial farmers of Greene County; Mrs. King is the owner of 130 acres; of nine children born of this marriage, seven are living, whose names are: Frances E , Mary E., Mary L., Sarah R., Albert H., Frederick C, and Rachel E.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 557(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


KING LUCIAN CAPT
KING LUCIAN CAPT, who takes a leading position among the agriculturists of Greene County, is a native of the State of New York; born in the year 1817; the seventh of a family of nine children. The earlier years of life were spent upon the old farm homestead, where he attained a hardy vigor that contributed very materially toward his-present prosperous condition in life. In 1842 he made his way to Cleveland, O., where he became employed as a clerk for an older brother; one year later finding the clerk's position too irksome, and the life of a boatman more congenial to his tastes, he took charge of a boat owned by his brother, and used for the transportation of passengers, freight and merchandise; continuing in this capacity one year, he now wended his way to Southern Illinois, locating in Greene County, where he first secured employment as a farm hand; his total possessions then footing up to the sum of thirty-five dollars; during this time he united his fortunes to Miss Almira Lemon, a daughter of Elder Muses Lemon, a pioneer minister of Greene County. James Lemon, who was the father of the Rev. gentleman above mentioned, was one of the first few white settlers in the State, having settled in Monroe County prior to 1800, a period of time when the North American Indians were as leaves of the forest; when old Fort Dearborn marked the site of the present flourishing city of Chicago, and the entire commerce of the then trading point of St. Louis reached the hopeful sum of some $20,000. Pursuing the thread of our discourse, for many years Captain King roughed it, so to speak, until such time as emigration poured into State and county. Owing to limited space in our volume, we cannot follow him step by step in his western career on an Illinois prairie. When the war broke out, then in his forty-sixth year, he became a zealous advocate of the Union cause, organizing Co. C. 122d Ill. Vol., John J. Rinnaker commander of the regiment. With the rank of a captain, Mr. King proceeded to the front, where he became a participant in many important battles noted in history, among them Parker's Cross Roads, Town Creek, Paducah, Tupolo, Nashville, etc. Honorably discharged on the 8th of May, 1865; he returned to Greene County, where he has since devoted his time to farming. In 1876, by the unanimous wish of the people. Captain King allowed his name to be put forward as a candidate for the State Legislature, and received the election from this 39th district by an overwhelming majority. Of the marriage above referred to, seven children were born, of whom five are living: Hattie E., who married J. J. Armstrong, and on his death married Henry L. Parker, of Kane; Matie L., who married T. Jones, resident of Tp. 9, R. 11; Martha E., who married Charles E. Neeley, station agent of Kane; Adele and Sadie B., who reside on the farm homestead; this property consists of 260 acres of land brought to a high state of cultivation
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 737-8(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


KING NATHAN A.
KING NATHAN A. farmer. Sec. 8, P. O. Carrollton. The subject of this sketch is a native of Yorkshire, England, born March 18, 1829; was the son of Thomas and Lydia King; her family name was Asbury. At the age of thirteen he emigrated to this country, in company with his parents, locating west of Carrollton; his father died in December, 1862. Nathan's father being blind, the care of the family devolved upon him, and, as a result, his education during his youth was entirely neglected, and what education he now has was gotten by individual effort and hard study since he matured. Nov. 10, 1852, married Eugenia Griffin, daughter of Thomas G.; had three children, Anna D., born Aug. 3, 1853; William T., born May 6, 1855; Nathan A., born Aug. 19, 1857. After Mr. King's marriage he rented land until 1867, when he purchased land, Has been a member of the U. B. Church
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 710-11(T10N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


KIRKLAND D.
KIRKLAND D. proprietor of the popular hotel known as the Kirkland, was born in Scotland, Feb. 2, 1826. For eighteen years a resident of Scotland. At an early age he became apprenticed to the trade of a cabinet maker. In 1844 he crossed the ocean, landing at Quebec. From the Dominion of Canada he made his way to New York; thence to McHenry County, Illinois, and began life as a railroad employee on the old Galena Division, afterwards consolidated and known as the North Western; remaining some five years, and during this time was united in marriage to Miss Nancy Dacy. For thirty years Mr. K. has officiated in railroad matters as contractor, conductor and foreman. Shortly after the commencement of Roodhouse Mr. Kirkland began the erection of a large hotel. This on completion was known as the Kirkland House. The little town grew rapidly and he accordingly built several other substantial buildings to be used as stores. These were swept away by fire Sept. 4, 1876, a hard blow to the enterprising proprietor, who using his means in a liberal manner, contributed toward the prosperity of the town. The following month, nothing daunted by this calamity, Mr. Kirkland rebuilt on the ashes of his former building a handsome building on East Railroad Street, now known as the Kirkland Hotel, said to be the best in Greene County. See business card elsewhere. Of seven children born of his marriage, three are living: Robert M., Isabel and John. Mr. K. was the successor of John Roodhouse as president of the town board
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 572(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


KNIGHT F. L.
KNIGHT F. L., city butcher. Mr. Knight was born in Manchester, New Hampshire, in 1846. His parents were A. S. and Luvia C, natives of Massachusetts and Vermont. In an early day the family moved to New Hampshire, Where the husband secured work on the city police force; from here the family went to Vermont, where young Knight received his education. In his nineteenth year he removed to New- Hampshire, where three years of his life were passed in a butchering establishment as an apprentice. Moving to Illinois nine years ago; he first located at Manchester, Greene County; in White Hall, where he afterwards moved, he entered into partnership with E. C. Clement as butchers; this was a decided success; two years later he moved to Greenfield, following the same occupation with flattering success. Now a resident of Roodhouse, engaged in the same calling, he transacts a large and constantly growing business. In White Hall Mr. Knight married Miss Anna Langdon of Manchester, who departed this life the following year and was laid to rest in Manchester
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 572(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


KNUDSEN T. N.
KNUDSEN T. N. shoemaker. Sec. 4, P.O. Greenfield, was born in Schleswig (formerly of Denmark, now of Germany), April 12, 1852, is the son of Knud Peterson; his mother's maiden name was Else Magrethe. February, 1872, he bid adieu to the land of his nativity and set sail for America, and March 2, landed in St. Louis. Having learned the shoemaker's trade before coming to this country, upon his arrival began work for C. H. Schreiner; remained with him some months and then went to Madison County where he staid about one year. The next we find of him he turned up in Greenfield, and hired to his former employer, C. H. Schreiner, who had left St, Louis. In January, 1878, made a trip to Europe, which occupied until May of the same year, and upon his return he resumed work for Schreiner, remained in his employ until February 5, 1879, when he bought out Mr. Schreiner, and engaged in the same business, keeping ready-made goods in his line, also custom work and repairing done promptly and to order. On Christmas day, 1878, was united in marriage to Mary E. Bishop, born in Adams County, September 1, 1860, daughter of George Bishop
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 682-3(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt