Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy Trails - Greene County, Illinois

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Home Page

Biographies - Index - L -
LAAS, CHRISTOPHER
LAAS CHRISTOPHER, cigar manufacturer. Main St., White Hall, Ill. Mr.L. was born in Germany in 1836; in 1863 he concluded to cast his fortunes in America; from New York city he made his way to Chicago, where he learned the trade of a cooper; from this enterprising young city he made his way to Burlington, Iowa; remaining 18 months he returned to Illinois, and located at Monmouth, Warren County, where he followed farming, and had a good trade in garden produce. Locating at While Hall he opened a store on Main Street, where he may now be found, dealing in a very superior brand of cigars. Mr. L. was married to Miss Rosa Schueler, by whom he has four children; three living: Anna, Otto and Charles
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 531(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


LAHR, JOHN
LAHR JOHN, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 18. P. O. Greenfield. John was born in Weinheim, Hesse Darmstadt, September 22, 1839, is the fourth child of a family of five children, born of George and Lizzie Lahr; her maiden name was Nitlinger. John left the parental roof at the age of sixteen and embarked for this country, and landed at Carrollton, where he remained a short time, and then went to work for Peter Dohm, where he continued eleven months, then engaged to Mr. Secor, remaining with him one year and a half, then for A. Sloan where he staid one year. In October, i860, he made a trip to the old country, staid eleven months and returned to this country in company with his father, who bought some land north of Carrollton, where he remained until 1864, when they sold out and moved to where John now lives. June 9, 1864, was married to Mary Bermes, born in Flomborn, Hesse Darmstadt, August 4, 1844. She is a daughter of Peter Bermes. By this union they have had ten children, but four are now living: Anna M., born September 10, 1865; George, born January 9, 1867; Ida Bena, born June 10, 1865; Hattie Edna, born February 13, 1877. He now owns 280 acres of land; and is making a success in farming. He is Republican in sentiment
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 683(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


LAKIN, ALEXANDER
LAKIN ALEXANDER, one of the first settlers within the borders of Greene County, was born in Brown County, Ohio. October 22, 1812. During the Autumn of 1825 his parents, Thomas and Margaret Lakin, came to Illinois, first locating near Springfield, Sangamon County; two years later the family moved to Greene County, near Carrollton, a small place of a few cabins, graced by one store, where good whisky, dry goods and provisions were kept. On the broad western prairies, unbroken except in rare instances, Thomas Lakin started in life as a pioneer, building a log cabin and living for many a year the rough life of a frontiersman; he died in 1841; Mrs. Lakin died in 1854. Alexander grew to manhood in Greene County, receiving a pioneer boy's education, sitting on rough slab seats, greased paper being in use in lieu of window panes. In 1834 Mr. Lakin was married to Miss Marie Lakin, a daughter of William Lakin. There were born of this marriage seven children, five of whom are living : Margaret A., who married James M. Orton; Elizabeth J., who married Robert Walker Amanda, who married Lewis McClure; William T., who married Addie Roe, and Charles, who married Miss Minnie Baumann. Benjamin, who married Miss Sarah Ballard, of Greene Countv, died February 14, 1874. Sarah E. died in early infancy. For the past nine years Mr.Lakin has lived in White Hall; at present engaged in the flour and feed trade. When in need of anything in his line don't fail to give Uncle Alex a call
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 532(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


LAKIN, LEANDER R.
LAKIN LEANDER R. County Clerk. Among the more prominent citizens of Greene County, who are worthy of more than a passing notice, we mention the name of Leander R. Lakin, an old resident of Greene County, who was elected to the above responsible position Nov. 6, 1873, officiating in this capacity up to the present time, to the general satisfaction of all. Nov. 28, 1873, Mr. Lakin united his fortunes to Miss Nettie S. Brace, a daughter of Jesse and Emily, whose maiden name was Sayles. There were born of this marriage two children, Leila E., deceased, and Jessie. Prior to entering upon the duties of Clerk of the County, Mr. Lakin took a leading position as an agriculturist, owning the homestead property of his parents, consisting of 286 acres of land, situated in one of the best townships of Greene County. This sketch would be incomplete were we to omit to mention Jordan Lakin, many years ago Sheriff of Greene County. He was born in the State of Ohio in 1817; in 1827 he made his way to Greene County, Ill., where he afterward took a leading position; it was during his pioneer days that he was united in marriage to Miss Eliza A. Myers, by whom he had nine children, the subject of our sketch being the youngest son. Passing by those pioneer days, fraught with no ordinary interest, owing to limited space, we may state that the head of the family was far above the average in ability and force of character. During the late Civil War he organized Co. H., 91st Ill. Infantry, proceeding to the front with the rank of Captain; resigning his commission before the close of the Rebellion, he returned to Greene County, where he became a successful farmer. He passed away August 29, 1869. and was laid at rest in the Hopewell Cemetery, a handsome monument marking the spot. His wife had preceded him to that World of Spirits many years prior, dying in 1860. As an instance of the pluck and energy displayed by him whose name heads this narrative — during the earlier years of his manhood, he gave proof of an ability far beyond his years. His father, fully realizing that his days upon earth were numbered, gave the entire charge of his property into the keeping of his youngest son, believing that by so doing the property that he had battled for so many years would be equitably divided among his family, through the ability of the son. These expectations were fully realized; one by one, the heirs received their just portion of a valuable estate; and to-day Leander Lakin, one of the best men and ablest financiers of Greene County, remains owner of the homestead property, through his ability as a farmer, stock buyer, and manager, and a more live, energetic, or generous citizen than Mr. L., does not dwell within the borders of Greene. Further notice will be given elsewhere in this volume
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 486(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


LAKIN, W. T.
LAKIN W. T. real estate agent for lands of the Burlington and Mo. River R. R. and Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, for the Counties of Greene, Scott, Morgan, Calhoun, etc., etc. William T. Lakin is a native of Greene County; born near the city of Carrollton, on the old homestead of his parents, Alexander and Maria Lakin. Elsewhere a biographical sketch will be found of the older members of this family, and we now enter upon a short description of the subject of this sketch. From his earliest years he became identified with the farming interest, and during the winter season applied himself diligently to his studies, and received a liberal education, as the reward of well directed energy. At the early age of sixteen he became apprenticed to the trade of a harness maker, with N. Williams, of White Hall. Continuing in this capacity two years, he became a baggage master on the St. L., J. & C. R.R. In 1866, prior to its lease to the C. &. A., while officiating in this capacity, on the 5th day of November of the year above mentioned, while endeavoring to board a train, he was thrown from the car to the rail and so seriously injured by the moving train as to necessitate the amputation of part of one hand and leg. On his recovery from his almost fatal accident he turned his attention to telegraphing, and for a period verging on nine years was employed on various railroads throughout the union. In 1875 he became a resident of the live town of White Hall, where he embarked in business and established the Greene County Democrat, and succeeded in building up a live paper and receiving a liberal share of the public patronage. We can not, owing to limited space, follow Mr. L. in his enterprising career as editor and correspondent, where he displayed marked ability. For the past two years he has transacted a successful business as land agent, through energy, integrity and honesty. In 1871. at Greenfield, Mr. L. was married to Miss Addie Roe, a daughter of George Roe, of Wheeling, West Va., by whom he has two children : George A. and Leni Leoti
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 532(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


LANDISS, WILLIAM H.
LANDISS WILLIAM H. farmer. Sec. 17, P.O. Carrollton. The subject of this sketch was born in Bedford County, Tenn., March 19, 1812; was the son of Isaac and Esther Landiss; her maiden name was King; there were nine children of the family, William being the eldest; at an early age his parents removed to Indiana— it was then a wilderness; his educational advantages were very poor indeed; his father first located in Crawford County, where he first opened a store there, and was doing well, when he was robbed by a band of organized robbers; went then to Washington County, where he was compelled to resort to manual labor to obtain a living; In the year 1827 he emigrated to this State, and located in this county, and on the very same land now occupied by William; first located land, 80 acres, by borrowing the money, paying 25 per cent, interest; was engaged in teaching for three or four years, then turned his attention to farming, which he followed until he moved to Carrollton, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1857, he being 79 years old; he had during his life been engaged as minister on local work, being a Methodist in belief. The subject of this sketch remained under the parental roof until he attained his 26th year; during this time learned the carpenter's trade; in May, 1838, was married to Serepta Crane; she died sixteen months afterward, leaving no issue; moved to Macoupin County after his marriage, where he engaged in the manufacture of cabinet ware; remained there about two years; was married second time to Jane McEuen; she was born in St. John's, N. B.; her father was a "Briton," and was a Secretary of the Navy Department in revolutionary times. Their marriage was celebrated June 14, 1840; she died fourteen months afterward; was married the third time to Mary Alverson, native of Kentucky; they have had nine children: Sereptha J., now the wife of James Seely; Catharine S., now the wife of James Fuller; Joanna, now the wife of Nort Sanders; Frances, now the wife of James Smith; Isaac, now at home; Ella, now at home; Minnie, now at home; Effie, now at home; William, now at home
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 711(T10N R11W); - transcribed by bmt

LANE, JAMES EUGENE
Is a man of exceptional business capacity, possessing a great deal of driving power in business and in everything he undertakes, and for a number of years has held vital and significant relations with the community of Lewistown. He is head of the Montana Lumber Company, which has nineteen places of business in the state. Mr. Lane held the rank of major in the American Red Cross overseas service during the late war.
He was born at Whitehall, Illinois, September 8, 1871, a son of James S. and Nancy J. (Baker) Lane. His father was a native of Wisconsin and his mother of Kentucky. His mother is still living at the age of eighty-one. James S. Lane received his early education in Wisconsin, and as a young man enlisted at the beginning of the Civil war and served in many battles and campaigns until the close. After the war he located at Whitehall, Illinois, and engaged in farming and stock raising until his death in 1872. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and a republican in politics.
James E. Lane was educated in Illinois and Nebraska, and in early life learned the business of carpenter and millwright. He came to Montana in the spring of 1893. His first location was at Billings. Later he was engaged in building the Jaw Bone Railway as superintendent of building and construction under Richard Harlow from 1897 to 1900. They built the road from Summit to Harlowton. Subsequently Mr. Lane resumed the building and contracting business at Martinsdale, Two Dot and Harlowton. He organized and operated the Midlen Coal and Lumber Company until 1903, when he sold out and then established his home at Lewistown. Here he organized the Montana Lumber Company, and remained as its general manager until 1909, since which date he has been president. This is one of the largest retail lumber concerns in the State of Montana. He is also director of the Bank of Fergus County, president of the Montana Home Building Company, and vice president of the Lewistown Brick and Tile Company. In February, 1919, a deal was consummated whereby the Montana Hardware Company was consolidated with the Montana Lumber Company, and Mr. Lane is now the directing head of the newly merged concern. He was elected a member of the State Senate in 1914, and served one term of four years.

In May, 1917, Mr. Lane assumed some heavy responsibilities in the local and state organization of the American Red Cross. He took the post of organizer and chairman of the Fergus County Chapter and as a member of the state executive board. Not content with what he could do for the organization in this country, he enlisted for the overseas work in May, 1918, and in June of the same year was sent to France. His headquarters were at Paris, where he was chief of hospital supplies with the rank of major. On different occasions he visited the front, and saw the great battlegrounds of the Argonne Forest and St. Mihiel and other points under actual war conditions. He was on leave of absence at Paris when the armistice was signed and soon afterward he returned home. All this service was given without a cent of remuneration.
Mr. Lane is a charter member of the Judith Club and is affiliated with Lewistown Lodge No. 34, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Lewistown Chapter No. 15, Royal Arch Masons, Lewistown Commandery No. 14, Knights Templar, with the Scottish Rite Consistory and with Algeria Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Helena. He is a democrat in politics.  May 17, 1900, Mr. Lane married Rose Wiley. She was born near Peoria, Illinois. They have two daughters: Edith, wife of D. W. Auenbaugh, living in California; and Newell, wife of Capt. F. M. Hawks, stationed at San Antonio, Texas. [Montana, Its Biography and History, Volume 2. Transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

LANGDON, WM. O.
LANGDON WM. O. physician and surgeon, east side Square, Carrollton. Dr. Langdon, who is recognized as a skillful physician of Carrollton, was born in Kentucky in 1848. While a youth, his father. Dr. William S. Langdon, moved to Nashville, Tennessee, where he practiced as a physician for many years. When the war broke out, he entered the Confederate service, continuing in this capacity until the close of the Rebellion, when he moved to St. Louis, Mo., where the subject of this notice entered upon a course of study, preparatory to becoming an M. D. His preceptor was Dr. A. Hammer, a noted physician and surgeon and professor of Humboldt College, where he attended his first course of medical lectures. Graduating from the Missouri Medical College in 1870, shortly after he moved to Jersey County, where he practiced for a period of eight years. At first, practice came slowly, many of his competitors having large experience in the medical profession; however, in the course of time, his ability in the profession he had adopted became apparent, and he soon had a large and lucrative practice. At Delhi, Jersey County, he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Early, a daughter of Mrs. S. A. Lurton, one of the first settlers of Jersey County. December, 1876, Mrs. Langdon was laid at rest, within the borders of Jersey County, leaving to the care of her husband two children, Sarah A. and Susan Y.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 486-7(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt



LAWSON, GEORGE
LAWSON GEORGE, farmer, Sec. 26, P.O. Schutz Mill, was born in Scott Co., Ill. March 4, 1841. He was married Aug. 17, 1865, to Nancy J. Cox, daughter of John Cox; she was born in the State of Kentucky. They have two children: Robert, born July 7, 1866; Edwin, born Feb. 15, 1868. His parents are both dead: his father, Sevier Lawson, died May, 1878, at sixty-eight years of age, and his mother died while he was yet young. He owns forty acres of land northwest of Schutz Mill, on which he resides
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 616(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


LEE, MILES W.
LEE MILES W. farmer, Sec. 32, P.O. Carrollton; born in Anderson County, North Carolina, Feb. 12, 1812, and in Dec. 3, 1833, he came to this State, stopping awhile on his way at Tennessee. In the Spring of 1834, landed in Madison County this State, at which place he remained about thirteen years. In the Spring of 1847 went to Drew County, Arkansas, where he remained four years; then returned to Madison County in 1852 and staid five years, and in the Spring of 1857 came to this county and settled on Sec. 32, where he has since remained. Was first married in Tennessee, to Nancy Floyd, Feb. 9, 1834; had three children; William H. born July 29, 1835; Joseph T. born May 15, 1839 James P. born April 28, 1842. Married the second time to Martha Randall, Jan. 8, 1846, by whom he had one child, which died before christening. Mr. Lee has 200 acres of land, and is spending the eve of his life in peace and tranquility, having seen much of this country in his time, and accumulated what he now has by honest industry and frugality; has long been a member of the U. Baptist Church, and expects to die in the hope of a glorious mortality
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 635(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LEONARD, SAMUEL B.
LEONARD SAMUEL B. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 9, P. O. Whitehall. Samuel Leonard was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, on the 11th of September, 1838, the fifth child of Jeremiah and Jane Leonard; at the age of seven years, his parents moved to Guernsey Co., where the family remained until 1851, when they moved still farther westward, locating in Jersey Co. three miles northwest of Jerseyville, on rented property. One year later, the head of the family passed away to that world of Spirits to which we all are tending, finding a last resting place in Jersey Co.; to the care of his wife who died in 1870, he left a large family of seven children: Hiram, who married Miss Amanda Powell; Thomas, who was killed in the battle during the late Rebellion; Margaret J, who married Dr. E. A. Casey of Jerseyville; Lee K, who died in 1847; Mary Ann, who married Martin Pruitt; John L., and Caroline, who married Albert Taxboy; Mattie, deceased, who died in 1866; Samuel passed his youth in Jersey county, where he followed agricultural pursuits until the war broke out, when he enlisted in Co. F. 14th Ill. Inf. at Jerseyville, for three years; a participant in the battles of Shiloh, Hatchie, Mississippi, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, etc. When the war closed he returned to Jersey Co., where he followed farming, until his location in Greene Co., in 1871. The year of his marriage to Miss Henrietta Deeds, a daughter of Henry and Sarah Jane Deeds. Mr. L. now resides in Tp. 11, R. 13, where he is the owner of forty acres, and ranks among our most industrious citizens. Of this marriage five children were born, three of whom are living, and whose names are in order of birth, Clara B. Jennette and Samuel B.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 655-6(T11N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


LEVY, SAMUEL
LEVY SAMUEL, manufacturer and dealer in clothing, east side Square, Carrollton. Among the more successful merchants of Greene County we mention with more than ordinary notice the name of Samuel Levy, a native of Poland. He was born in 1841; the early years of his life were spent in Poland, where he received a liberal education, and at the early age of fifteen proceeding to England, where he became employed as a traveling salesman; remaining in this capacity three years, he crossed the ocean for America, landing in New York City, remaining in the State of New York, following the precarious occupation of traveling salesman. Becoming somewhat tired of the East, he now wended his way to Texas, where he opened a general merchandise store, transacting a successful business until the breaking out of the rebellion, when he was compelled to enter the Rebel service, making trips into old Mexico; and taking up his residence in Texas, he made his way to New York City, and thence to Chicago, where he opened a clothing store, on Clark Street, where he became moderately successful. In 1866 he sought a new field of labor, at Carrollton, Illinois, and removing his stock from the City by the Lake, rented the building owned by Adam Gimmy. Mr. Levy did not at once spring into a successful business career, but step by step his success was assured. It should be stated that he entered into a co-partnership with H. Levy, a former partner. Owing to his constantly increasing trade, Mr. L. was compelled to enlarge his facilities for business, and accordingly purchased and enlarged the building he now occupies. It is needless to add, as the fact is well known here, that Mr. Levy carries a larger line of goods than any other similar establishment in Greene County, and a more live, energetic, capable business man than Mr. L. it would be a hard matter to find. In the short space of twelve years he has built up a trade unequaled in the mercantile line west of New York. A word to the wise is sufficient; all's not gold that glitters; and instead of going to St. Louis, parties will do well to examine his styles and prices
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 487(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


LIESENFELDT, JOHN
LIESENFELDT JOHN, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 30, P.O. White Hall. The above named gentleman was born in Germany on the 14th day of January, 1821; near the banks of the Rhine he grew to manhood, following farming. Leaving the scenes of his youth in 1851 and crossing the Atlantic on board a sailing vessel he landed, after a voyage of many weeks, in the city of New Orleans; from here he proceeded to St. Louis and from there to Wilmington in Greene County, where he first worked in a brickyard and afterwards for Lemuel Patterson, by whom lie was united in marriage to Miss Ann Elizabeth Fry, a daughter of George Fry, by whom he had four children; Millie K., Mary C, George F. and Elizabeth Ann. For many years he rented property, but twelve years ago purchased 40 acres where he now lives. Mr. L. is a gentleman of liberal education and takes a deep interest in edcuational matters
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 590-1(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LIKELY, SAMUEL C. Sr.
LIKELY SAMUEL C. Sr., farmer, and stock raiser, Sec. 10. P. O. White Hall. Samuel C. Likely is a native of Pennsylvania, born on the 7th of April, 1808. Third child of Wm. and Agnes Likely, whose maiden name was Taylor. The days of his youth were spent upon the old farm homestead, and at seventeen he became apprenticed to the trade of blacksmithing, and subsequently became a journeymen workman, and applied himself diligently to his calling. On the 11th of April, 1836, he was united in marriage by the Rev. Mr. Marshall, to Miss Rachel Clark, a daughter of Alexander Clark, a native of Pennsylvania During the year mentioned, Mr. L. concluded to cast his fortunes in the West, and accordingly removed to Griggsville, Pike Co., Ill., where he followed his vocation until 1849. Mrs. Likely did not long survive her journey to Illinois and passed away some three years from the date of the family's location at Griggsville. On the 2nd of January, 1845, he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine T. Pastors, a daughter of Wesley and Mary Pastors, who were natives of Baltimore, Maryland, and Jefferson, Ohio. In 1849, Mr L. made an overland trip to Oregon, in search of the shining metal, and subsequently made his way to the Pacific Slope. Landing at San Francisco when it consisted principally of the long wharf and a few scattered buildings erected after the Spanish mode, he found the few inhabitants stirred to an intense pitch of excitement, as the State had then gained its admission into the Union. Remained in Oregon and California some two years where he conducted the blacksmith shop for Messrs. Slofoot & Pierce, receiving one-half the earnings of the establishment. At the expiration of this time, he shipped on board the ocean steamer Northerner, at San Francisco. After the usual voyage the vessel landed at Chagres where the passengers were transferred to the U. S. mail steamer Georgia, which conveyed them to the city of Havanna, where during this time it will be borne in mind that Lopez had created considerable disturbance, and the Spanish Government, on the alert for the Fillibusters, captured both crew and passengers, imprisoning them for a short time, but by the intercession of the American Consul, the Americans were released. Returning eventually to Griggsville, Ill., he resided until his removal to Greene Co., in 1852, when he purchased the farm property owned by Jos. Phillips, which consisted of 360 acres, and now comprising 240 acres of valuable land. Mr. L. ranks among our most progressive liberal farmers, and few are better known for their liberality and kindly acts. Of the second marriage ten children were born, of whom only three are living: Samuel C, William W., and Luther M. (Note.) One incident in the voyage of the Northerner is worthy of note: As the vessel plowed its way over the waters, a sudden squall struck the vessel with force and the good ship careening, carried the yard-arms far into the water, and created considerable alarm among its passengers
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 656-7(T11N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


LINDER, JAS. M.
LINDER JAS. M. for the past eleven years blacksmith at Wilmington, was born in Greene County, September, 1836; James was the oldest son of Joseph and Matilda Linder. In early life he became apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith, first with Price, Rabb & Co., afterwards with Carr & Higbee; in 1862 he was married to Miss J. J. McLain; during the Spring of 1864 he emigrated to Montana Territory, where he secured employment in the mines, remaining three years; he returned to Greene County, locating at Wilmington; he opened a blacksmith shop near his present large one; here he has lived up to the present writing, is a skilled workman, and receives plenty to do; he is a member of the town board, and well known for his generosity and enterprise
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 557-558(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


LINK, S.M.
Born in Carrollton, Illinois, in 1837; died in Kirksville {Mo}, September 01, 1904. At the age of Twenty-One he went to Colorado. In 1867 he came to Kirksville, where he continued to reside until his death. He was at first engaged in stock and implement business. Later he became connected with the First National Bank, more commonly known as the Baird Bank. For twenty years he was its President. He was an ardent member of the Baptist church, having joined it when only sixteen years of age. He was married in 1861 to Miss Link; to them eight children were born, six who survived him. Of him it was said that "his quiet, unostentatious acts of charity towards the deserving poor, his kindly friendship for all the deserving, and his gentle life, strong in all the Christian graces of tenderness, generosity and loving-kindness, will always be a constant example." [Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri", by E.M. Violette (1911) - DR - Sub by FoFG]


LITTLEFIELD, ENOCH
LITTLEFIELD ENOCH, banker, was born at Auburn, Maine, in 1832. Early in life he left home and traveled extensively until the mature years of manhood, when.in 1858, he settled in Greene County, where he has since been prominently identified with the county interests. The first five years of his residence were devoted to teaching district schools, photography, farming and land trading. He is now owner and principal operator of the Jalappa mills, one of the first flouring mills erected in Greene County, which Mr. L. re-modeled a short time ago, fitted with modern machinery, and will now compare favorably with any in the county, and no better grade of flour is obtainable. Four years ago the subject of this biography, instituted the Littlefield and Greene Bank at Kane, which has been eminently successful. Mr. L. was first married to Lucy Greene, who died in 1873. His present wife was Susie E. Hartley, of Paris, Ill. Mr. Littlefield came to Greene County an out-spoken abolitionist, but since the triumph of the principles of that party, he has been very independent in politics, in temperance a radical prohibitionist, in religion a strong Spiritualist
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 738(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LONG, ISRAEL
LONG ISRAEL, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 13, P.O. Rockbridge. Israel Long is a native of Greene County, born in 1839, second child of Edward and Priscilla Long, who settled in Greene County some forty years ago. Israel grew to manhood in Greene County, and early became inured to the hard work of the farm, When the war came on he enlisted in Co. A, 61st Ill. Vols., under the command of Capt. Orr; was in the service some seven months; he became a participant in the famous battle of Shiloh. He was honorably discharged from the service at St. Louis, on the 21st of July, 1862, and then returned to Greene County. Some years after the war closed he resided in Jersey County and followed agricultural pursuits, until his removal again to Greene County in 1877. In 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Harriet Tucker, a daughter of Pleasant Tucker, by whom he has three children: Freeman, Laura B., and Jesse W. Mr. Long ranks among our most successful farmers; the owner of 200 acres of valuable land in the counties of Jersey and Greene. The children deceased are Churchman, Lula, and George
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 738(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LONG, SQUIRE
LONG SQUIRE, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 14, P.O. Rockbridge. The father of our subject was Edward Long, a native Kentuckian, who was there married to Miss Priscella Smith. The exact date of his settlement in Greene County can not now be ascertained; but in all probability he became a cotemporary with many of the early settlers of Greene County. Squire Long was the sixth child, born of the above-mentioned marriage on the 17th of May, 1846. In 1869, he was married to Miss Ellen Murry, a daughter of McWright Murry, a native Kentuckian, by whom he has two children, Oscar and Emma. Mr. Long is the owner of ninety acres of well improved real estate
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 738(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LONRAGAN, WILLIAM
LONRAGAN WILLIAM, farmer. Sec. 18, P.O. Greenfield. Among the representatives of this county that are self-made, there are some that hail from the Emerald Isle. Prominent among them is William Lonragan, who left the home of his father at the age of thirteen and came to this country, and settled in this county; and has, by patient industry, and an adherence to the principles of honesty and integrity, secured for himself a home and the esteem and confidence of those with whom he has associated. He was born in Tipperary, in the year 1839. His father strenuously opposed his coming, but seeing that he was "bent" in that direction, finally gave his consent, and his parting blessing, which was to always adhere strictly to the principles of honesty. When he arrived in this country he at once set to work with a will to make something out of himself. Landing at New York he went to Pennsylvania, where he hired out at six dollars per month, remaining in that locality about two years. From here he went to Syracuse, then to Victor, N. Y.; then to Dubuque, Iowa, then to Canada, St. Louis, New Orleans, and several other points, finally settling down in this county, and working for John Rhodes, a prominent farmer, and well known to all, and staid with him about six years. In the Spring of 1862 enlisted in Company "K,"91st Regiment of Illinois State Volunteers, where he served until the termination of the war receiving an honorable discharge, and it may be said of him, that he was a true and valiant soldier, always at the front, and never shirked duty. He was mustered out in July, 1865, and upon his return to peaceable pursuits, engaged to work for his old employer, John Rhodes; worked for Jesse Roberts, and others, and subsequently farmed on his own account, renting land of Mr. Rhodes, in which he was successful, clearing in one year $800. He then attended school one term, then rented land of Thomas Robinson for three years, keeping "bach"a large portion of the time. This becoming too serious, he thought the better plan would be to secure a housekeeper of his own, and accordingly wooed and won the hand of Julia Baker, a native of Old Virginia, born September 8, 1848, their marriage being celebrated April 6, 1875; they have no issue. A short time previous to his marriage he had bought 120 acres of land formerly owned by F. A. Woodman. He has since farmed it, and in connection with this he runs a steam thresher, of which he is sole proprietor. He is of the Republican faith, but takes little interest in politics, voting for men rather than party
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 683-4(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


LORTON, A. H.
LORTON A. H., farmer and stock raiser, .Sec. 32, P.O. White Hall. Mr. Lorton comes of a numerous and respected family; he was born in Greene County in 1852. His father, Robert Lorton, settled in Greene County long before our present towns and villages sprang into existence. Of Albert, who heads this sketch, it may be said that he has followed farming from his earliest years; in 1872 he was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Batty, a daughter of Richard Batty, by whom he has three children: Clarence, Edith and Essie. Mr. Lorton is the owner of 40 acres in this township
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 591(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LORTON, ROBERT
LORTON ROBERT, farmer. Sec. 8, P.O. White Hall, was born in Cumberland County, Ky., Sept. 15, 1817; went to Bond County, Ill., in 1818, where he remained four years, when he came to this township and married Jane Stubblefield, Nov. 14, 1844; with whom he lived until his death, which occurred Oct. 3, 1875. They have had six children, of whom five are now living, viz: Harriet C, born July 28, 1847; Hester A., born July 28, 1847 — twins; Martha E., born April 25, 1849; Albert H., born Sept. 30, 1852; David H., born Feb. 5, 1857. Since Mr. Lorton's demise his widow has remained upon the farm, in company with her son David and daughter Hester. Mr. Lorton was, during his life, a very consistent member of the M. E. Church, was a zealous and enthusiastic worker in the Sunday-school cause; he died lamented by all who knew him, having filled several offices of trust in the church to their satisfaction and with credit to himself. Politically he was identified with the Republican party
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 635(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


LORTON, WM. M.
LORTON WM. M., Roodhouse. Mr. Lorton is one of those rare people who elicit our warmest sympathies; penetrating into what was a vast wilderness of prairie, so to speak, he became one among the first residents of Greene County. He was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, April, 1817. Two years later the Lorton family traversed the prairies for the West, arriving in due course of time. When scarcely a cabin relieved the monotony of a broad expanse of prairie the family first settled in Bond Co., Illinois. Years have flown by since then, and Illinois is celebrated for its fertility of soil, and its grain trade, for its beautiful dwellings, churches and schools; in it we see the guiding hand of the pioneer. Many Indians then crowded the frontier, and there were but few neighbors. Building a cabin, Robert Lorton set to work in a resolute manner to gain a livelihood. Remaining until 1824; that year found the party en route for Greene County, where the noble and aged pioneer died in his 87th year; he merited the respect of all having the pleasure of his acquaintance. The spot known as Lorton's Prairie was named after an uncle of Wm. M. who is now in his 61st year. Amid pioneer associations in this county he grew up, and received a liberal education. In his 25th year he married Miss Agnes Brauym, by whom he had eight children. Mrs. L. died in 1872. The following year he married Mrs. Lincoln, relict of Jarvis Lincoln, a relative of Abraham Lincoln. Mr. L. is an extensive farmer, a resident of Roodhouse
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 572-3(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


LOVELACE, A. P.
A. P. Lovelace, who follows farming and for the past twelve years has also been successfully engaged in the raising of poultry, was born in Patterson township, Greene county, and is a son of Price and Sarah (Hubbard) Lovelace. Both were representatives of old families of Kentucky. The father was born in that state and died in 1859. The mother, also a native of Kentucky, was a daughter of John Hubbard.
A. P. Lovelace is indebted to the public schools for the educational privileges he enjoyed in his youth and which fitted him for life's practical duties. He was trained to farm labor and has always engaged in the tilling of the soil, being now engaged in the further cultivation and improvement of his land. In addition to raising the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, he has been engaged in the raising of poultry for the past twelve years, and has some very fine breeds of chickens.
On the 24th of April, 1864, Mr. Lovelace was united in marriage to Miss Ioletha Cotter, a daughter of John and Rebecca Cotter, who were natives of Kentucky and belonged to old families of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Lovelace have three children: Etta, born February 17, 1865, is the wife of A. T. Clarke, a resident of Patterson township and they have six children; Abbie, born February 20, 1867. is the wife of Denver Coates, a resident of Seattle. Washington, and thev have two children: Ada, born October 20, 1874, is the wife of E. E. Steelman and has four children. Mr. Lovelace is a Democrat in his political views and is a stanch advocate of the principles of the party.
"Past and Present Of Greene County, Illinois"; by Hon. Ed. Miner, Ex-Secretary Old Settlers Society; Illustrated; "A people that take no pride in the noble achievements of remote ancestors will never achieve anything worthy to be remembered with pride by remote generations.'' - Macauley; Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1905, page 625-626;- Submitted by Sara Hemp


LOWRY, WILLIAM T.
LOWRY WILLIAM T., the only manufacturer of brick in the town of Roodhouse. He became a permanent resident in 1877. Purchasing valuable land in the corporation of Roodhouse two presses or germs were soon in running operation and competition began with the surrounding country. Through large experience among the leading brickmakers of the country Mr. L. had acquired a skill as a maker of brick that soon became appreciated by the public at large. He manufactures some 5,000 brick per day, of a very superior quality, the supply not being equal to the demand, the new and commodious public school, requiring a large number, also Peter Dunbar's and many others. At Jacksonville, Morgan County Mr. L. manufactured the brick for the poor house and many other buildings of note. He was born in Mount Vernon, Illinois, Dec. 11, 1833; apprenticed to trade in 1843; married in Jacksonville Lorena Pankey, of Illinois; there are three children: Mary E., Minnesota and Virginia. Mr. Lowry purchased some 200 acres of valuable land in Greene County in 1865
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 573(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


LUNNEEN, THOMAS
LUNNEEN THOMAS, is a native of the County of Clare, Ireland, and was born in 1843, he was the youngest of a family of four children. At the early age of twelve, in company with relatives, he determined to seek a home in the New World, and accordingly embarked on board the good ship Ironsides that sailed from Liverpool in 1858, landing at the City of New Orleans, after a voyage of some weeks. After witnessing the sights and scenes of the Crescent City he took passage up the Father of Waters to Cairo, Ill., from here voyaging on the Illinois River until he reached Columbiana, Greene County, and from this point wended his way to Carrollton, Ill., where he became employed for several years as a farm hand, teaming, etc. Embarking in the saloon business and subsequently in the grocery business, to follow the career of Mr. Lunneen step by step would be superfluous, as he is well and favorably known to the business community here. In conclusion we may state that few have succeeded better in life than Mr. L. who came to Carrollton minus capital save health and energy; to-day he is the owner of 276 acres in this township and valuable property in the city of Carrollton. At present is engaged as tobacconist and confectioner. See business card elsewhere
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 487(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt