Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy Trails - Greene County, Illinois

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Home Page

Biographies - Index - W - WH -
WADE, WILLIAM A.
WADE WILLIAM A. farmer and stock raiser in the pioneer days of Greene County, who has long since been gathered to his fathers, was born at Lancashire, England, in 1820. At the early age of eleven, he departed from England for America. He first stopped at Philadelphia, and afterward became a resident of New Jersey, where he learned the trade oi a shoemaker. About this time glowing accounts reached him of the fertile prairies of Illinois, and accordingly the youth directed his footsteps westward, and first settled, on arrival in Illinois, in Sinclair County, near Belleville, where he worked at his trade some two years, when he accompanied his parents to Pike County, settling near Griggsville, where he married Miss Mary Ann King. After his marriage he lived one year near Florence, where he owned a farm. In 1850 he moved to Greene County, where his health became so poor that he gradually sank and passed peacefully away, in 1858. To the care of his wife he left one child, Samuel W., who resides on the old homestead, who during the present year united his fortunes to Miss Hattie Smith, a daughter of Mrs. Peters. Mrs. Wade, who is an excellent Christian lady, resides in Tp. 12, R. 12, where she owns a valuable farm property, in the neighborhood of 300 acres. She was born July 24, 1824, in Greene County
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 564-5(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WADSWORTH, ISAAC
WADSWORTH ISAAC, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 5, P.O. Manchester, Scott County, Ill. Mr. Wadsworth was born in Greene County. Nov., 1843. He was in his eighth year when his parents, Joseph and Gertrude Wadsworth,. moved to Montgomery County, where the subject of this sketch grew to maturity. When the war came on he enlisted in Company I, 53d Ill. Reg., for three years' service. Returning to Montgomery County, when the war closed, he remained until 1870, when he moved to Greene County, where he has since resided, owning 8o acres of valuable land
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 599-600(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WAGGONER, JOHN
WAGGONER JOHN, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 9, P.O. Carrollton. It was nearly half a century ago that John Waggoner, then poor and unknown, became a resident of Greene County; he was born in Montgomery County, Va., Nov. 18, 1796, the oldest son of David and Mary Waggoner. In the Old Dominion State our subject passed his boyhood and early youth, earning small wages as a farm hand. At the early age of 18 he was married to Mary Lockhart, a daughter of Wm. Lockhart, whose occupation can not be learned. Four years from this date he moved to Kentucky, where he followed farming until his emigration to Illinois and location in Greene County in 1830; he was then in limited circumstances, but shortly after his settlement here, through the kindness of friends, he was enabled to enter 80 acres, on which he secured his first start in life. Year by year emigration flowed, and it was not long before the youthful aspirant for agricultural honors began to see his way clear to a more prosperous condition than he had heretofore enjoyed. In 1852 Mrs. W. was laid at rest within the borders of Greene County, leaving to the care of her husband seven children: Mary Ann, Wm., John D., Daniel, Adam, Joseph, and Lafayette. In 1855 Mr. Waggoner united his fortunes to Mary Jane Alabaugh, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Alabaugh, by whom he had seven children, five of whom are living: Sarah E., Maria E., George R., Fanny and Frank. Mrs. Waggoner died in 1873, and was laid at rest in the Cemetery of Providence. In drawing this sketch to a close it may be truthfully said that few if any ever entered Illinois under more discouragements than the subject of this sketch, who, by unremitting energy has achieved his present success, and from the little patch of ground entered nearly half a century ago, he has gathered together an estate of over 500 acres of valuable land, and ranks among the more opulent farmers of this section
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 744-5(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WAINWRIGHT, RICHARD
WAINWRIGHT RICHARD, painter, Athensville, born in Kentucky, Oct. 5, 1849; removed to this county in 1872; married March 14, 1876, to Alice, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca Stiles, Morgan Co., born June 19, 1851. Mr Wainwright carries on the business of house and sign painter. His long and thorough experience in the business guarantees to his patrons good work at reasonable rates
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 611(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WALES, HARMON
WALES HARMON, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., September, 1820; he there married Miss Lydia Andrews, daughter of Ira Andrews, by whom he had six children, five of whom are living: Charles, who is a farmer in Greene County; Eliza Jane, who married Jacob Crist; Romaett, who married John Akers; Luther, who married Miss Ella Smith; Henrietta, the younger of the children, resides at home. Years ago Mr. Wales settled in Greene County, where he rented the farm now owned by John Roodhouse. Now a resident of Roodhouse where he erected a very substantial building, about the time of the laying out of this now enterpiising town; this house is east of the depot, and used by Mr. Wales as a first-class boarding house. See business card in directory
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 578(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


WALKER, ANDREW
WALKER ANDREW, deceased, who is well remembered by early settlers of Greene County, was born in Virginia, Feb. 16, 1808. He grew to manhood in the famous old State of Virginia, a farmer by occupation. On the 13th day of Sept., 1833, he was married to Miss Charlotte Litner. In 1837 he concluded to follow the fortunes of the early settlers of Illinois, and accordingly, after many weeks of travel over the prairie, he settled in Greene County, where, as soon as able, he purchased a tract of 40 acres, part of the farm property now owned by Mrs. Walker, from whom this sketch is obtained. On the decease of the husband, the family comprised five children: Malcina, who married Thomas Fisher; James A., who married Huldah Longworth; Mary, who married Nelson Ballard; Zachary T., who married Miss Sallie Robinson; George B., resides at home
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 600(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WALKER, E. S.
WALKER E. S. (the late), who was a farmer and skillful physician of Greene County, was born in Virginia; in early youth he acquired many advantages in an educational point of view, which fitted him in after years for the medical profession; in Greene County he united his fortunes to Miss Mary Jane Mar, by whom he had nine children; for many years he was a practicing physician in Greene and adjoining counties; he passed away during the year 1860; of O. W. Walker it may be said, that his boyhood was passed on a farm; at twenty he was married to Miss Margaret Barrett, a daughter of John Barrett, by whom he had five children, three living: Cora O., Otis S., and infant child; Mr. Walker owns 120 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 600(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WALKER, J. F.
WALKER J. F. mnfr. Ladies' Friend Washing Machine. James F. Walker was born in Greene County, Sept. 16, 1838, oldest son of L. W. and Hester Walker. L. W. Walker was born in West Virginia, and came to Greene County at the age of twenty, and in connection with John Baker and James built the first grist and saw mill on Hurricane Creek. About 1837 he was married to Miss Hester Garrison, of Kentucky. Eventually L. W. Walker became a farmer of considerable prominence. He died at Roodhouse, in 1875, and was laid at rest in the Jones Cemetery. Mr. Walker was twice married. Hester Walker died in 1863, and in 1866 Mr. Walker was married to Miss Lydia Jane Dossie, who died many years ago. James Walker grew up in Greene County, and enlisted August, 1862, in Co. F, 101st Ill. Inf., three years' service; corporal during the war; evinced no ordinary daring as a soldier, and was engaged in the most important battles of the war, as Mission Ridge, Lookout Mountain—both engagements,—etc., etc.. Peach Tree Creek, Dallas, Atlanta, and witnessed the surrender of Johnston, in North Carolina. When the war closed Mr. W. settled in Morgan County, where he followed farming. In 1861 he was married to Miss E. Devault, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Devault. In after years Mr. W. became largely engaged as a contractor and builder, and erected many of the best residences and stone buildings in Roodhouse, as Kirkland Hotel and school house. Mr. W. began the manufacture of the Ladies' Friend Washer but a year ago, and sold during 1878 300 washers—and a constant demand
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 538-9(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WALKER, MARY MRS.
WALKER MARY MRS. farming. Sec. 29, P.O. Berdan. Born in Breckenridge County, Ky., Sept. 12, 1811, was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Walker, who were natives of Virginia. At an early age she moved to this county with her parents. At the age of 19 she was married to Robert Walker, born March 31,1811; had twelve children: Elizabeth, born July 4,1833; Lucinda, born Aug. 1, 1835; Eliza, born Jan. 20, 1838; James, born April 12, 1840; Robert, born July 24, 1842; Mary Ann, born Feb. 8, 1845; William G., born Feb. 14, 1847; Martha Jane, born Oct, 12, 1849; Sarah E., born July 31, 1853. The above are now living. Mrs. W. lost her husband Oct. 10, 1868, and still remains on the farm, consisting of 160 acres, which she is still farming. All of her children are married and doing for themselves, except three boys, who remain with her at home
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 640(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WALKER WILLIAM J.
WALKER WILLIAM J. farmer. Sec. 1, P.O. Greenfield, was born in this county in 1843. Was married in 1868 to Susan Barnett. who was also a native of this county. They have eight children, four are now living: Mahalia A., Mary Olive, Adda B., and Eddie M. In 1862, Mr. Walker enlisted in the 101st Regt. Ill. State Vols, where he served his country faithfully until the close of the war. In 1868 he went to Missouri and returned in 1872; has since been a resident of this section
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 640(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WALLS, Henry M.
Henry M. Walls, who is engaged in carpentering and contracting in Roodhouse, was born in Scott county, Illinois, on the 10th of March, 1864, and is a son of George and Sarah J. Walls, who are still residents of Scott county, where they have made their home for many years, the father devoting his energies to agricultural pursuits.
Henry M. Walls is indebted to the public schools for the educational privileges he enjoyed and since putting aside his text-books and entering upon business life he has followed farming and carpentering. He rented land in Scott county until 1901, and in addition to the cultivation of the fields, he also engaged in building to some extent. In the year mentioned he removed to Roodhouse, where he has since conducted business as a carpenter and contractor, and he receives a liberal share of the public patronage, because he is a good workman and conscientious in the performance of any work that devolves upon him.
In 1885 Mr. Walls was united in marriage to Miss Emma Pryor, a daughter of Isaac Pryor, who with his family is living in Glasgow, Illinois. Mrs. Walls was born in South Carolina and in early girlhood was brought by her parents to Illinois, being reared in Scott county, where she was married and where her death occurred. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Walls were born five children, four sons and a daughter, all yet at home, namely: George, twenty years of age; William I., aged eighteen; James, thirteen years of age; Earl, a youth of eleven; and Ida May, a maiden of nine summers. The children reside with their father in Roodhouse and are attending the public schools.
Mr. Walls has always given his political allegiance to the Democratic party and although he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, as every true American citizen should do, he has no desire for public office, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business affairs, so that he may provide well for his family.
Source: "Past and Present Of Greene County, Illinois"; by Hon. Ed. Miner, Ex-Secretary Old Settlers Society; Illustrated; "A people that take no pride in the noble achievements of remote ancestors will never achieve anything worthy to be remembered with pride by remote generations.'' - Macauley; Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1905, page 626; - Submitted by Sara Hemp


WALTON FRANCIS M.
WALTON FRANCIS M. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 17, P.O. Greenfield, was born in 1843, in Greene County. His father, William Walton, was married to Martha Scott, in 1834; have seven children, four of whom are living; came to Illinois in 1831, and followed the occupation of a farmer, and by falling from a hay stack in 1848, received injuries from which he died in a few days, leaving five children for the widow to rear, which was quite a task, for they were all small and could not help to support the family. She still lives, at the age of sixty-seven, with her son, the subject of this sketch, who was married April 22, 1866, to Mary M. Rafferty, who was born in 1848, in Greene County; have six children: Martha L., Mary S., Viola, William T., Edith, and Hattie M. Mr. Walton was in the late rebellion. Enlisted Aug. 28, 1861, in 32d Reg. Ill. Vol., in Co. D, as a private; was appointed first corporal Aug. 19, 1862, and promoted to fifth sergeant Dec. 29, 1862, and fourth sergeant June 13, 1863; was discharged Jan. 1, 1864; re-enlisted Jan. 2, 1864, as first sergeant; was commissioned as first lieutenant May 26, 1865, which office he filled till he was discharged, at Springfield, Illinois, Sept. 30, 1865; participated in several battles; was at the siege of Vicksburg and Corinth
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 628(T11N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WALTRIP, W. D.
WALTRIP W. D. farmer. Sec. 29, P.O. Berdan, was born in this county April 10, 1846, the seventh child of Michael and Alcey Waltrip, who were early pioneers in this county. Apil 10, 1866, was united in marriage to Ginsa Goode, daughter of W. B. Goode, whose sketch appears in this work. From this union they have one child, Norman, born Jan. 20, 1867. Mr. Waltrip owns 140 acres of land, which he has acquired by his own industry and economy, and knows very well how he came by every dollar in his possession, and hopes by a continuation of the practice of the princiciples that have hitherto governed him, to become one of the most opulent and well-to- do farmers in his township. Is a consistent member of the United Baptist Church
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 640(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WARD, JAMES
WARD JAMES, farmer. Sec. 16, P.O. Athensville, son of Thomas Ward, who was born in Virginia, Jan. 20, 1811, and came to this State in 1839, and settled in Greene Co., where he still resides. James Ward was born May 6, 1840; married Feb. 29, 1865, to Letitia Hood, Greene Co., born April 13, 1842. Mrs. Ward died May 3, 1866, leaving one daughter, who also died the same month. Mr. Ward married again Nov. 5, 1871, to Emma Russell, Greene Co., born March 31, 1844. This union has been blessed by two children: Thomas J., born Sept. 16, 1872, and Emma A., born Oct. 11, 1875. Mr. Ward enlisted Sept., 1861, in Co. D, 32d I.V.I., and served on the Mississippi, participating in the battles of Shiloh and Vicksburg, and with Sherman's famous march to the sea; was mustered out Sept., 1864. Since his return home, Mr. Ward has given his attention solely to farming. Homestead consists of 125 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 611(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WARD James R.
WARD J. R., State's attorney, west side Square, Carrollton, Ill. James R.Ward, is a native of Illinois, born in Madison County. At the early age of thirteen he began a course of higher classical studies, and also at sixteen he began a course of law studies under many leading attorneys, prominent among them being Philem-an Bliss, formerly Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Missouri, where the subject of our notice was admitted to the bar at St. Louis by the Supreme Court of Missouri; licensed to practice in the courts of Illinois June 5, 1874, by the State Supreme Court; was elected State's attorney in 1876 by over 1,600 majority over his opponent; has acquired a large and profitable law practice under serious difficulties, and is a very able lawyer
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 502(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


WARD, JONAS
WARD JONAS. Nearly sixty years ago, when not a railroad ran through the State and not a steamboat plowed the waters of the far west, Jonas Ward, who is well remembered by the older residents of Greene County, accompanied his parents, Richard and Elizabeth Ward, in the year 1821, to the then far western State of Illinois. This trip to the west was made principally down the Ohio, on a flat boat. The other emigrants forming the party were the Morfoot family. The Wards reaching the Mississippi, they crossed the river on the ice. The winter and spring proving unusually serene, making their way over the vast tract known as the American Bottom, the Ward family located on the farm now owned by Charles Ward. Here the family raised their first crop in Illinois. In Greene County were passed the last days of Richard and Elizabeth Ward. Of Jonas, whose fortunes we now follow, it may be said that he, from his earliest years, followed agricultural pursuits from a period of time when the reap hook was the instrument principally in use up to the time when reapers, mowers, and other modern instruments came into general use. There are many interesting passages in the life career of Jonas Ward, could they now be brought to mind. Carrollton was not then laid out for even a hamlet, but one log cabin marking the spot. Flouring mills unknown, he frequently found occasion to go to St. Louis or Alton to lay in his supply of family provisions. As the years rolled by, however, a different state of affairs became manifest, and Mr. Ward was soon on the high road to prosperity. The date of his marriage probably occurred in 1828, to Miss Hester Fry, by whom he had four children: John, who married Miss Emma Davis; Julia, who married Captain William Fry; Alice (deceased), and Richard E., from whom this sketch is obtained. After a long life of usefulness, distinguished by no ordinary energy, the head of the family, an affectionate husband and father, after a life of almost unexampled activity, passed to his reward on the 13th of November, 1877. Mrs. Ward is still living, a resident of Greene County, a most estimable lady, who contributed very materially toward her husband's prosperity. Richard, who owns the home place, consisting of 240 acres, including the substantial farm residence, married Miss Elizabeth G. Hobson, a daughter of Thomas Hobson, one of the most prominent farmers of Greene County. One child born of this marriage, Alice
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 522-23(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WARD, W. M.
WARD W. M. attorney at law. The subject of this sketch is a son of Jesse and Mary Ward. The former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Virginia. The father of W. M. was a farmer by occupation and was among the first settlers in Jersey. W. M. was born in Jersey Co. Dec. 24, 1838, and attended the common school until he was eighteen years of age. He then took a trip to the Rocky Mountains, where he spent eight years in various occupations. Was first engaged in mining, then was in the Attorney General's office, and was out on an expedition after the Red men and followed them into their mountain fastness and had some practical experience in Indian fighting. And during his stay in the West he had a varied and checkered experience. In the Winter of 1867 he returned to Brighton, Macoupin Co. and soon after he entered the office of Asa Potter and engaged in the study of law, in which he continued for about three years. On July 26, 1870, he concluded that the life of a bachelor was getting too monotonous and he wooed and won the hand of Louisa Prosser, and their marriage was duly celebrated on the above date. By this union they have had three children of whom two are now living. Louisa M, born Sept. 8. 1872; Jessie W, born Oct 20, 1876. From the time he left the office of Asa Potter, 1872, he went into the employ of the Rockford and Rock Island R. R. company as a machinist, where he remained about one year; he then moved his family to Greene Co., and engaged in the milling business, which he followed until 1875, at which time he sold out his interest and located in Greenfield. On May 10, 1875, he received an appointment as postmaster, and on June 5, got his commission. In 1876 received appointment as notary, was admitted to the bar Jan. 1877, and has since been engaged in the practice of law
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 698-9(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WARREN, HARRY
WARREN HARRY, broom maker and farmer. Sec. 30, P.O. Carrollton. The whole-souled gentlemen, whose name heads this sketch, is a native of Cazenovia, Madison County, New York; born in the year 1808. In his seventeenth year, he departed from the parental roof, wending his way to the sunny south. After a life of travel, he settled in Allegheny County, Maryland, where he united his fortunes to Miss Rebecca Moore, a daughter of James Moore, of Cumberland, Maryland. Mr. Warren was married in 1836. Of an exceedingly adventurous disposition, he traveled extensively through Canada and other points. In 1830, when the mining excitement ran high, he crossed the plains for California, where he resided for a period of two years, following the occupation of miner, in which calling he became moderately successful. He now concluded to return to the scenes of his early youth, and accordingly embarked on board the steamer Golden Gate, a passenger on board while the furious storm raged on the gulf, an account of which appeared in many of the widely circulated newspapers of that date. Arriving in Maryland, he remained but a short time, when his restless disposition caused him to locate in Greene County, where he has since resided on a beautiful farm of 80 acres, and where he now devotes the waning years of an eventful life to the making of brooms. No man to-day in the great west is better known for his kindness of heart and hospitality than the subject of this notice, whose habits of life are marked by simplicity and temperance. In 1860 he became identified with the Baptist Church, a member of which denomination he has since been, and also occupies a position of importance in the fellowship of Odd Fellows. One circumstance in the life career of Mr. Warren is worthy of note. A parchment now in his possession, and signed and sealed by Samuel Huntington, president of the Congress of 1779, appoints his father, Adrial Warren, as a lieutenant of a Massachusetts Company, in the Continental War. He subsequently attained the rank of captain
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 523(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WATERS, DR. J. E.
WATERS DR. J. E., physician and surgeon, Sec. 26, P.O. Athensville. Born in Morgan County, June 25, 1829; married March 11, 1850, to Miss .Ann Dawson, of Delaware; this union has been blessed by five children, only one of whom however is living, viz.: James M., born July 4, 1852. Dr. Waters is a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College, in the class of 1862, and has attended several courses of lectures at Chicago, St. Louis and Louisville; he has lived at Athensville since 1860, and enjoys a wide reputation both as a physician and a gentleman throughout the country Waters J. M. carpenter and builder, Athensville
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 611(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WATSON, H.
WATSON H. who is the proprietor of the only marble works in the town of White Hall,was born in Kentucky. During his childhood his mother died, and in an early day his father moved to Illinois, locating in Morgan County, He was a tanner by occupation, and probably built the first tannery on Indian Creek. His first wife was Mary Johnson; they were married in Kentucky; nine children were born of this marriage, Henry being the sixth child. He was seven years of age when his father again married. By the second marriage he had five children; moving to Greene County, he lived a number of years and then moved to Missouri, where he died. Henry passed his boyhood near Jacksonville, Morgan Co. In 1842, he moved to White Hall, where he first learned the trade of a mason. In 1851, he started his present business. On entering the establishment one beholds a large variety of tombstones, and monuments composed of only the best marble. In 1846 Mr. Watson enlisted for service in the Mexican war, and became a participant in the famous battle of Buena Vista. In 1860, he was married to Miss Mary Miller, by whom he has two children
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 539(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WAYHAM, JOHN C.
WAYHAM JOHN C. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 4, P. O. Carrollton. John C. Wayham is a native of Philadelphia, where he was born on the 1st day of June, 1820; we can not trace back the genealogy of this family, further than to state that the parents of John died during his seventh year, and thus early thrown upon his own resources, he was taken in charge and finally bound to a farmer by the name of Edward Browning; remaining seven years, engaged in the duties appertaining to a farm hand enduring many hardships, he made his escape from a cruel task master, and on the 10th of March, 1833, he made his way to Kentucky where he worked for a man by the name of Soper, a cattle trader, for a period of two years; the year of his settlement in Kentucky he made his way to South Carolina in charge of stock, and thereby gained knowledge of the world that proved useful in after years of nature manhood; on leaving the employ of James Soper, possessed of an adventurous disposition, he now concluded to go it on his own hook, and for six years became an expert rider for a master who followed horse racing for a livelihood; becoming tired of the excitements attending upon this kind of a life, he now settled down in Old Kentucky where he secured employment from a man by the name of Cook. In 1841 he united his fortunes to Miss Louisiana Carter, a daughter of Wm. Carter, a native of Virginia. Principally engaged as a farmer during the Summer months, during the Fall he became a drover. In 1850 he concluded to follow the star of empire westward and accordingly m a covered wagon, after the usual trip he landed in Greene County, where he rented land of William Borrow, and erecting a cabin, begun the clearing away of timber, often prolonging the hours of labor until nearly midnight; remaining here for a period of five years, he moved to the farm of John Caldwell, where he rented thirteen years. Hi? first purchase of land was made in 1863, and consisted of 230 acres of valuable land, and now commenced that hard labor that has contributed very much toward his present prosperity and has made him one of the most successful agriculturists in Greene County; few indeed commenced the battle of life under more discouragements than the subject of this sketch, whose sole capital on arrival in Illinois, financially speaking, consisted of eleven dollars. Of this marriage twelve children were born, of whom ten are living; Mary, John R., Fanny, Henry, Hugh, Katy, Lucy, Frank, Thomas and Jacquet W. The estate comprises 485 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 745(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WEAVER, CHARLES H.
WEAVER CHARLES H. furniture. Sec. 34, P.O. Rockbridge, was born in Jefferson Co. New York, Sept. 13, 1842. He is the eighth child of a family of thirteen children, born of Anthony and Mary Ann Weaver; her maiden name was Schoultice; his family is of German and French descent. Charles H. was thrown on his own resources at the age of fourteen years, and worked at such work as he could obtain for about five years, when he went to learn the trade of a' carpenter. In 1862, having an inclination to try his fortunes in the west, started out, landing at Medora, Macoupin Co. remaining but a short time; then he went to Walnut Grove; was there taken sick with lung fever where "he came very near "passing over," After his recovery, he returned to Medora and engaged in the carpenter's trade. From here he went to John C. Daniel's, then to String Prairie; after making several changes, he finally came to the town of Rockbridge, where he engaged at his trade, he having been engaged in building nearly all the houses in the town. In July, 1875, he went into business for himself, engaged in the furniture business. He lived a bachelor until Feb. 15, 1875, when he married Cecelia S. King; had two children viz: Charles A. born Oct. 22, 1873, Harald K. born March 28, 1876. The first house built in Chicago, was erected by the first cousin of Anthony Weaver. Chas. H. is a member of Sheffield Lodge, A. F. and A. M. No. 687
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 699(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WEISNER, J. HARVEY
WEISNER J. HARVEY, retired farmer. "Uncle Harvey," as he is familiarily known, was born in Surry County, North Carolina, near the Yadkin River, Jan. 10, 1803, was the son of John and Margaret Weisner, who were natives of that State; they are of German and Irish descent. During his fourteenth year he moved to Smith Co., Tennessee, during which time he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, in the interest of his father. Feb. 20 1827, he was united in marriage to Martha Evans, by whom he had twelve children, one daughter and eleven sons; six of these entered the U. S. service, but three returning; Elizabeth, his only daughter, married W. Elkinton, and is now a resident of Kansas. In the year 1829 Mr. W. moved to this State, and located in this county, and stopped in the city when there was but one cabin in the town. He now owns 250 acres of land. When he emigrated to this county, he came with his wife and children in an old ox cart, arriving here with 75 cents in money, had to go to Carrollton for his mail, 25 cents being the price paid for the delivery of letters at that time. When he first came here, he worked at anything he could get to do, in order to maintain his family, going many times miles from home to get something to do that would bring him something that would go towards making a living; he would have to return home every night, as the safety of his family depended upon it; after several years of hard labor and rigid economy, he accumulated enough to buy him a barshire plow with wooden mould-board, and with the assistance of the oxen, that had been his companions from Tennessee, he began farming for himself, by renting a small patch of ground, and in this way he managed to save enough after a time, to secure forty acres of land, and he relates that after this purchase, "he felt rich," as he then had a home and could work for himself. Mr. Weisner's wife died on April 27, 1877. She died in the triumphs of the faith; she was a very devoted woman to her religion and family. Mr. Weisner was married the second time to Mrs. Martha Holtsclaw, of Mt. Sterling, Brown Co., this State; this marriage occurred in 1877. Mrs. Weisner is an inestimable lady and their relations are of the most amicable and affectionate character, they are perfectly devoted to each other and are truly mated as well as married. Mr. Weisner has been a member of the M. E. Church for about sixty years and has lived a consistent life; is a zealous member of the Masonic order, attending the meetings regularly; he is a member of Greenfield Lodge No. 77. Mr. Weisner has been long and favorably known in this county, and has been identified with its interests throughout the past, and is now retired from active life and is spending the eve of his days in quiet, and in the enjoyment of a remarkable degree of health, for one of his age, and is highly esteemed by all who know him, as a worthy, conscientious man, and upright citizen, and well deserving of the high esteem with which he is viewed in the community where he resides
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 699-700(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WEITZEL, CHRISTOPHER
WEITZEL CHRISTOPHER, merchant tailor, and dealer in ready-made clothing, hats, caps, etc. Mr. Weitzel located at White Hall in 1866, and opened a tailoring establishment, on Main st. Investing a small capital of $500 in a stock of goods at St. Louis, he returned to White Hall,where he was soon busily engaged securing a large patronage. Through his skill as a workman and honest dealing, he is to-day one of our most enterprising men and always gives the boys fits when in need of clothes. He was born at Hesse- Darmstadt, Germany, in 1837; emigrated to America in 1852, and located at Darke Co., Ohio, where he became apprenticed to tailoring. When the war came on he enlisted in Co. B, 68th Regt. Ill. Volunteers; honorably discharged October, 1862 at Alton. He returned to his old employers at Decatur, and worked at his trade for a number of years, and then proceeding to Kansas, from which State he shortly after returning to Decatur, and thence to White Hall, where he was found guilty of selling first-class goods and doing first-class tailoring, and it was accordingly resolved by the good people of White Hall and vicinity, that so long as he continued in his present course he should be sustained
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 539(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WELCH, J. E.
WELCH J. E., miller, and inventor of the already famous True Grit Furrow Finisher, for polishing furrows in millstones. Price $3.00, including an extra block. Mr. Welch is also the inventor of an improved Wheat Heater. J. E. Welch is one of our progressive citizens. He was born in the Old Dominion, Faurquier County, on the 12th of Oct., 1842. At the early age of seventeen his parents emigrated to Missouri, where the head of the family, R. B. Welch, followed milling for a short time, when he moved to Jacksonville, Morgan County. He remained in Jacksonville some five years, when became to White Hall, where he now resides with the subject of this biography, who early developed an uncommon ability as a miller. During the war Mr. Welch resided in Kentucky, where he taught a select school. When the war closed he moved to Jacksonville and embarked in the milling business with his father, R. B. Welch, and here he acquired that experience that has made of him not only a successful inventor, but one of the best millers in this or any other State. For many years Mr. Welch has been identified with the milling interests of White Hall, and, although meeting with some reverses, is now doing a very successful business in co-partnership with A. D. Ruckle. The firm of Welch & Ruckle are the sole manufacturers of the celebrated brand of Elite flour so widely known in all portions of Illinois, making annual shipments of 5,000 barrels of this choice article
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 539(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WELCH & RUCKLE
WELCH & RUCKLE, millers and grain dealers. The above named gentlemen entered into a co-partnership business the present year. They manufacture a very superior grade of flour, and are large shippers of wheat and corn. Mr. Welch is a gentleman of large experience in the milling business. This live firm have the largest elevator in the county, and transact a very large business. The senior member is a native of Virginia, who came to White Hall a few years ago, entering into the milling business. Mr. Ruckle, the junior partner, was born in Pennsylvania in 1835. He received a liberal education in his native State; worked as a journeyman machinist; regularly apprenticed to the trade. When the war came on he enlisted in the 8th Ohio Vol. Inft., as first sergeant; honorably discharged in 1864. He returned to Ohio, where he married Miss H. E.Adams. In 1868, Mr. Ruckle located at White Hall, where he first entered into the pottery business, and entering into successful competition with competing firms. Disposing of his interest, he entered into his present occupation. Mr. R. is a young man who keeps pace with the improvements of the county. He has one child, Carroll A., born at White Hall, Ill.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 539-40(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WELLS, JOHN A.
WELLS JOHN A. farmer, Sec. 26, P.O. Breese. Was born in this county Sept. 17, 1849. He was married Oct. 17. 1872, to Phoebe J. Hubbard, daughter of H. T. and Elizabeth Hubbard. She was born in this county Jan. 17, 1847. They have one child, Warren Virgil, born Sept. 20, 1875. He is living on his father's land, two miles southwest of Breese
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 618(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


WELLS, JOHN C.
WELLS JOHN C. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 10, P.O. White Hall. The above named gentleman was born in Greene Co. on the 7th of August, 1841, the oldest son of John C. and Hannah Wells, who were natives of Tennessee and Illinois, respectively. As the head of the family became a contemporary settler with many who first founded homes in the West, we shall here append more than a passing description. The exact date of his arrival can not now be ascertained, but sufficient is known for the statement to be made that the county bore but little existence of civilization when he first set foot in the southern portion of Illinois, where he was destined to witness many stirring events in the pioneer days of Greene Co. On attaining his majority he proceeded to Alton, in Madison Co., where he became identified with the butchering business, remaining some six years. While a resident of Alton, a party by the name of Lovejoy introduced one of the first printing presses in Alton, and probably published the first Abolition sheet in Illinois; this attempt aroused the ill will of many, among whom was Mr. Wells, who, in company with others, bore a hand in the destruction of the press. On his return to Greene Co. he was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Garrison, a daughter of Jesse B. Garrison, of Kentucky. Not long after his marriage, Mr. Wells emigrated to Jefferson Co., where he purchased a farm of 80 acres. Three years later he concluded to push farther westward, and accordingly set out for Iowa. On reaching Scott Co., the partner of his joys and sorrows was taken suddenly ill; the disease, in the nature of paralysis, proved fatal, a sad calamity to the enterprising pioneer, who found his plans materially changed, and accordingly he now located in Scott Co. In 1853 he once again became a resident of Greene Co., where he purchased 80 acres in township 11, range 13, where in subsequent years he became a successful farmer and trader. When the war broke out he enlisted in Co. H. 91st Illinois Infantry, and proceeded to the front from White Hall. He became a participant in many important battles noted in history. After the exchange of prisoners, and while encamped at the city of St. Louis, he was taken suddenly ill, and died in Uncle Sam's service, July 10, 1863. The remains subsequently found a last resting place in Greene Co. Mrs. Wells survived her husband but two years, dying April 10, 1865, and her ashes now repose in the family cemetery. The survivors of the family are four: George W., Lucinda, Mahuldah, and John C, whose career we now follow. Passing his early years upon the farm homestead, when the war broke out he enlisted in Co. G. 9th Missouri Infantry, in 1862. Through changes made in the regiment it became the 59th Illinois. Serving for four and a half years, a veteran toward the close of the Rebellion, he became a participant in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Wild Cat Mountain, Lookout Mountain, Missouri Ridge, Ringgold, Rocky Faced Ridge, Resaca, Cassville, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta, Atlanta, Lovejoy Station, Franklin, Nashville, Overton Hills, etc. When the war closed, Mr. W. returned to Greene Co., where he married, in 1866, Miss Sarah E. Vinyard, a daughter of Joseph Vinyard, by which marriage he has five children Elmer V., John C, Jennie S., Sarah E., Rosa H., and David C, deceased. Mr, Wells is the owner of 80 acres of valuable land in this township
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 659(T11N R13W); - transcribed by bmt

WELLS, Joseph A.
The earliest known record of the Wells family begins with the birth of John Carter Wells near London, England, in the year 1719. He came to this country while a youth and though a cobbler by occupation he engaged in farming near Richmond in the Colony of Virginia. He was married in 1746 and died at the age of 55. He had a son, Carter Wells, who was born on the old homestead near Richmond in 1750. Carter was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, was a farmer and a local minister. He was married in 1774, and removed to Nashville, Tenn., where his son, Philip, was born July 4, 1776. In 1807 Philip married Miss Lucy Bottom. He served in the war of 1812 and participated in the battle of New Orleans. On his return home in 1815 he began preaching as a Baptist minister. He moved to Green county, Ill., in 1829, where he died at the age of 74. His wife died at the home of her son, Samuel, March 23, 1863, aged 90 years. This son, Samuel Wells, was born September 13, 1809, near Nashville and emigrated with his father to Illinois. Soon afterward he lost his wife and three youngest children by death, leaving Samuel with one son, William L., who died in 1900 at the age of 69. After the death of his first wife Samuel married Mary Powers, the mother of Joseph A. Wells, the subject of this sketch. He was born March 24, 1838, near Walkerville, Illinois, where he lived until 1860 when he married Matilda Wood. He enlisted August 10, 1862, as a private in Company H, Ninety-first Illinois Infantry. He was mustered in as orderly sergeant September 8, 1862. He was captured by John Morgan's raiders at Elizabethtown, Kentucky, December 21, 1862. He was paroled and sent to Benton barracks until he was exchanged June 25, 1863. While at Benton barracks he was allowed to make frequent visits at home. While home on parole in June, 1863, he joined the Masonic order taking all three degrees on the same day. After he joined his regiment he was sent to Vickeburg [sic], July 7, 1863, where he remained for thirty days and then went to Port Hudson. From there he went to New Orleans, in August, thence on the Atchafalaya campaign where he participated in all its memorable battles. He returned to New Orleans on October 18th and left for Texas on government steamers October 23, 1863. He landed at Point Isabelle, Texas, November 3, 1863, and marched to Brownsville, skirmishing most of the way. He remained at Brownsville until July, 1864, when he returned to Point Isabelle where he located at Boca Chica until December of that year. He then went to New Orleans where his regiment served as provost guard until February 20, 1865, when it was assigned to the Thirteenth army corps and started for Mobile, fighting the battles of Spanish Fort and Blakeley in April, 1865. He was in the battle of Whistler, this being the last hostile affair east of the Mississippi river, where as many as 1,000 men were engaged, and was fought April 13, 1865. At this battle Captain Jos. A. Wells was in command of the advance line. On April 16th he went to Fort Granger where he remained till May 9th when he went to Mobile and was mustered out on July 12th, reaching home on July 29th. The second lieutenant of his company resigned August 16, 1863, the first lieutenant resigned September 1, 1863, and (Captain Lakin having deserted February 28, 1863,) this left Mr. Wells virtually in command of the company. He was mustered in as first lieutenant on August 14, 1864, and was made captain in November, to rank from March 1, 1863. Captain Wells never lost a roll call or missed a meal while he was in the service. After he was mustered out he was tendered a commission in the regular army as lieutenant of cavalry but declined the offer.
Joseph A. Wells was one of the founders of both Erie and Chanute and was a member of the original townsite company of each town. In the early days he served a term as probate judge of Neosho county. His children are as follows. Loyel T., who died at the age of thirty-nine; Seth G., the subject of the sketch below; Byron C., who died in 1898, aged thirty; Logan H., now living in Oklahoma; Jay C., of Erie, and Jennie E., now Mrs. J. S. Rogers, of Wellington, Kansas. Judge Wells was married again in 1894 to Miss Mary J. Hazen but there are no children. He has been an active participant in all the enterprises that have been carried on in the city and county since his residence in the state, and has organized most every secret society in the city of Erie. He was the founder of the Select Friends and was at the head of that society for a number of years. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, being a member of the Consistory at Fort Scott. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]

WELLS, Seth G.
Son of Jos. A. Wells, was born January 12, 1863, in Green county, Illinois, and came to Neosho county with his people when he was two years old. With the exception of two years which he spent in California he has lived continuously at Erie. At the age of nineteen he entered the Republican Record office, then owned by Ben. J. Smith, and worked there as a printer until he became postmaster in 1897. He has filled every position on the Record from imp to editor. While foreman of the office in 1897 he was appointed by President McKinley to be postmaster at Erie and was reappointed by President Roosevelt in 1902. In both cases the appointment was made without any opposition at home. At the Republican state convention at Wichita, May 28, 1902, he was nominated for Auditor of State on the second ballot, receiving every vote of his home congressional district. On June 1, 1902, he bought the Republican Record and is now the editor, publisher and proprietor of the paper on which he set his first stick of type. He was married April 23, 1884, to Miss Ella Edwards and they are the parents of two children, Elizabeth Olive, born January 25, 1895, at Erie, and Don E., born July 20, 1887, at San Diego, California. Young Don was a page in the Kansas state senate in the session of 1901 and is now learning the printers' trade in his father's office. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]


WELLS, ROBERT
WELLS, ROBERT, deceased, a farmer during his life, and who settled within the borders of Greene County in 1830, and who was well and favorably known to the early settlers of this county, was born in Tennessee, January 16, 1803, and there married Miss Emma Jones, Dec. 24, 1826. Mrs. Wells was born January 14, 1811, and died in 1875. Mr. Wells died many years prior, Oct. 3, 1853. There are three children: William G., Robert C, and Mary A.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 565(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt



WELLS SAMUEL
WELLS SAMUEL, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 11, P.O. White Hall. Mr, Wells was born in Christian Co., Ky., Sept. 13, 1809; his parents moved to Nashville, Tenn., when he was but a small child, and here were passed the days of his youth. In Nov., 1829, his father removed with his family to Illinois, who first settled in Hamilton Co., near McLeansborough. Here Samuel became acquainted with Miss Mary .Smith, to whom he was married Dec, 23, 1830. By this marriage four children, of whom one is now living, William L., who lives in the Cherokee Nation. In 1834, Mr. Wells removed to Wayne Co., fifteen miles north of Fairfield. After residing here for two years he again moved, and located in Greene Co., about half a mile north of the place on which he lives. On the 18th day of March, 1836, he had the misfortune to lose his helpmate; and in June, 1837, he married Miss Mary Powers, daughter of Joseph and Mary Powers, who were among the early settlers of Greene Co. Six children blessed this union, only one of whom is living: Joseph A., born March 28, 1838, married Miss Matilda Wood in 1860, and is now a resident of Erie, Kan. On the 11th day of August, 1849, Samuel was again parted from his companion by the hand of death. March 6, 1851, he again launched on the sea of matrimony, with Miss Sarah Sullivan. Ten children by this union, two living: Malvina F., who married Joseph Vinyard, now a resident of Denton Co., Texas; and David W. who was born Aug. 11, 1856, and now lives with his father on the old homestead. On the 1st of Nov., 1865, Mrs. Wells was called from hence, leaving Mr. W. a widower for the third time. On Feb. 5, 1868, he married Mrs. Esther Meley, who is now living. Mr. Wells relates that during his stay in Wayne Co. he did not see a single piece of wheat sown or raised, and nothing for bread but corn meal, and that from frost-bitten corn. While living in Wayne Co. he lost two children by milk sickness, which caused him to leave the county at the time he left. Seven families moved together, to escape the terrible ravages of this deadly plague. From his experience with the disease, Mr. W. gives much useful and practical information as how to prevent and cure this malady. He states that upon his arrival in Greene Co. there were not more than a dozen houses in the township where he settled; and where the present city of White Hall now stands, at that time was a collection of log houses, probably a dozen in number, and one store kept in a log cabin. He arrived in Greene Co., possessed of two ponies, $45 in money, and a few of the necessary implements of housekeeping. In the years 1837-39 he followed the occupation of buying poultry through the country, and taking it to market in St. Louis; he by this means cleared enough to buy 40 acres of land. But going security for friends, he lost his little all, and was obliged to make a new start. In 1845 he again commenced his former business, buying produce for the St. Louis market. This pursuit he followed fifteen years, thereby amassing enough money to purchase the 80 acres of land on which his residence stands, although during the time he suffered from ill health incessantly, and met with misfortunes which would have disheartened a man who had not an indomitable will and energy. He states that during his farming he has lost what would have easily made 40,000 bushels of wheat by the dry freeze, and over sixty head of horses, yet, despite all these trials, difficulties, and misfortunes, he has accumulated about 500 acres of land by his own individual efforts. In 1842 he became identified with the United Baptist Church, and is well known in the community for his piety and strict temperance principles
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 659-60(T11N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


WELLS WM. D.
WELLS WM. D. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 23, P.O. Breese. Was born in North Carolina, Rowan Co., Dec. 13, 1824. Came to this county in 1834, with his parents. His father was born in North Carolina in 1800, died in 1871. His mother was born in North Carolina, and died in this county, January, 1856. He was married Sept. 23, 1847, to Martena E. Ford, daughter of James and Jane Ford. She was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., Sept. 4, 1827. They have seven living children: John A., born Sept. 17, 1849; James L., born Aug. 14, 1851; William W., born Aug. 6, 1856; Sarah J., born Sept. 7, 1860; Jefferson D., born Feb. 28, 1863; Elizabeth M., born Oct. 14, 1865; Addison I., born Aug. 31, 1869; Leonidas D., born Aug. 9, 1858, died Jan. 9, 1862; Mary A., born January, 1868, died April 15, 1868. Mr. Wells has over thirteen hundred acres of land. The home farm is well improved, having a large dwelling and barn, and is nicely located. Has lived on this farm since 1843; his father died on this place. He has one sister living in Newton County, Mo., born February, 1827. She is married to James E. Neece
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 618(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


WHARTON GEORGE
WHARTON GEORGE, blacksmith and machinist, Main Street, White Hall, Ill. Mr. Wharton was born in Pennsylvania. At sixteen he made his way to Trenton, New Jersey, where he became apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith, serving five years. He now proceeded to Jerseyville, Jersey County, Ill., where he opened up shop and for a while done a general blacksmithing business, and then opened a machine shop, manufacturing largely the Haines Headers. From 1841 to 1872 Mr. W. remained a resident of Jersey, and then went to Belleville, Illinois, where he became foreman in a drill shop. Remaining two years, he took up his line of departure for White Hall, where he is now doing a large business, and is said to be one of the best blacksmiths in the country. Mr. Wharton is the inventor and proprietor of the celebrated gang plow Queen of the West, and the iron beam draft plow King of Trash. Mr. Wharton has always taken a deep interest in temperance and fought the whisky traffic at a time when it was used by nearly all
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 540(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WHEELER L. F.
WHEELER L. F., the present Mayor of the flourishing city of Carrollton, is a native of Westfield, Hampden County, Mass.; born in 1818, the fifth of a family of seven children. The days of his early youth were spent upon the old farm homestead. At seventeen, so to speak, he branched out, and thenceforward relied upon his own resources. Entering the employ of a company who had numerous agents to transact their business, that of selling silverware, jewelry, etc., in the State of New York, Mr. W. first began operations and continued them in the State of Ohio, remaining one year, and the following year, 1838, concluded to cast his fortunes in the far west, and accordingly made his way to Greene County, where he first turned his attention to farming, continuing in this capacity several years. In 1846 he proceeded to Alton, where he entered a small store for the transaction of a general merchandising business; here he remained for a period of five years, gaining an extensive trade. In 1851 he moved to Carrollton, his old home, where he entered into a general merchandising business with William P. Barr. The new firm conducted a successful business for a term of four years, when the firm dissolved partnership by mutual consent, Mr. Wheeler now branching off into the lumber trade, and here also he continued a prosperous business until the close of the rebellion, when on account of ill health he was compelled to relinquish all active business. In 1867 he was elected Police Magistrate, acting in this capacity two years. In 1878 Mr. Wheeler was requested by his many friends in the city of Carrollton to allow his name to be used in connection with the mayoralty, it being well known that he was a strict advocate of temperance. Although he had many difficulties to contend against, King Alcohol holding full power for many a year, he was elected by a large majority, when we take into consideration the fact that never before perhaps had a strictly temperance candidate been elected. In 1850 Mr. W. was married to Miss Mary L. Eldred, a daughter of Elon Eldred, by whom he had three children : Adah, Marietta and Elon E.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 502-3(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


WHITE HALL FIRE CLAY WORKS
WHITE HALL FIRE CLAY WORKS, manufacturers of drain tile for farm drainage, also road culvert pipe, vitrified, glazed sewer pipe, fire brick, and roofing tile (Merrill's patent). In company with Mr. E. H. Smith, the genial president of the company, the writer made a careful survey of the extensive works. There are few but what have heard of the White Hall Fire Clay Works, and yet few realize the immense quantities of tile manufactured by this famous company. Their tile is all steam pressed, giving great density, smoothness, and strength to the pipe, thereby thoroughly burning the tile through and through, not a thin shell on the outside burned and the inside raw and unburned clay. In these days of general business depression, it will be well for the farmer to examine tile closely before purchasing. Remember it costs just as much to lay worthless tile in the ground as the best. Many tile are made from limed clay, that bears a striking resemblance to potter's clay, that produces a very superior article. The White Hall clay is acknowledged by all to be the best in the State, from which the company have manufactured for the past ten years, and during that time there have been sold, from this place, nearly two thousand miles of drainage tile, not a foot of which has ever been rejected. The company own very extensive clay and coal mines, mine their own clay and coal, and employ only the most experienced men in all departments. All railroads centering at this point have side tracks on the ground. It will thus be readily seen that nothing is left undone by the company to insure the manufacture of the best tile, as cheap as can be made from good potter's clay. Messrs. E. H. Smith and W. W. Arnold are energetic, honorable, business men, with whom it is a pleasure to deal with. We understand that Simeon Ross, one of Greene County's most opulent farmers, has a controlling interest in the firm
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 540-1(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WHITE IRA
WHITE IRA, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 35, P.O. Kane. The above named gentleman was born in Greene County, February 24, 1837, on the old homestead of his parents Jesse and Tabitha While, whose maiden name was Carrico. As Jesse White ranked among the more prominent farmers and early residents of Greene County, we here append more than a passing notice. He was born in Madison County, Ill., in 1807 and was, in all probability, one of the first white children born in the State. We can not enter, owing to limited space, into details of his career from boyhood to manhood. Necessarily his boyhood's days were spent amid pioneer associations. Very few then dwelt in Illinois save wandering parties in search of new scenes and incidents. It was during his early years that he moved to Greene County, where he subsequently became so successful in life. At an early age, 1827, he was united in marriage to Tabitha Carrico. For many years after his marriage he worked as a blacksmith and wagon maker, probably becoming the manufacturer of more wagons than any other one mechanic in Greene County. At one time he was a large property owner, and died February 14, 1872, leaving a large property to his pioneer wife, who is still living, a resident of this township. Ira, from whom this sketch is obtained, grew up a vigorous youth, with a fondness for field sports that made him a skillful marksman in after years. In 1858, he was married to Miss Fanny Close, a daughter of William Close a native of Wayne County, Illinois, by whom he had two children, Jesse and Oscar, deceased. Mrs. White died in 1869, and was laid at rest in the Thompson cemetery. In 1870 Mr. White was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Close, a sister of his former wife, by whom he has one child, Thirsa. Mr. White is the owner of 135 acres of valuable land, in township 9, range 12. Few are better lovers of nature than he, and few are better known for generous acts
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 764-5(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WHITFIELD TH0MAS J
WHITFIELD TH0MAS J, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 10, P.O. Roodhouse. Mr.W. is a native of Tennessee; born July 24, 1854, oldest son of Thomas Whitfield, who died during his early childhood, and Martha C, who during the rebellion concluded to locate in the North, and on arrival near Cairo sickened and died. Thomas, then in his tenth year, went to live with a farmer, working for an exceedingly hard and grasping man. Arriving in Greene County, he worked for Alonzo Allen eight years. During this time, 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Delilah Taylor, a daughter of Preston Taylor, by whom he has one child, Charles A.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 600(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WHITTAKER & RIGG
WHITTAKER & RIGG, proprietors Barrow flouring mills, Barrow Station. Messrs Whittaker & Rigg became established in the above business during the present year, purchasing the property formerly owned by Chas. F. Bruce. The new firm, composed of young men of enterprise and energy, are determined to manufacture only a superior grade of flour, and thereby hope to gain a liberal patronage. In conclusion we heartily recommend them to the citizens of Greene County, who are not slow to bestow patronage where worthy
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 565(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt