Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy Trails - Greene County, Illinois

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Home Page

Biographies - Index - WI - Z -
WILDER R. E.
WILDER R. E. retired. Greenfield. Prominent among the solid men of this township, is the name of Richard Everett Wilder, the seventh son of the late Rev. John Wilder of Attleborough, Mass., born there September 14, 1810. Losing his mother in infancy, his early training in all its parts, social, moral, educational and religious, devolved mainly upon his surviving parent. Under the influences that prevailed at that time, in New England, he passed into manhood having imbibed the sturdy principles of our Puritanic forefathers. At this age, while his brothers chose, some the profession of law, others that of divinity, he early decided to make teaching a life-time profession. Accordingly he applied. to the first Teachers' Seminary ever established in the country, at Andover, Mass., presided over by that distingished friend of popular education, the late Rev. Samuel M. Hall, author of that popular treatise, "Lectures on School Teaching." Completing his literary education at this institution, he spent some years in the practice of his chosen profession, in the vicinity of Boston. Though successful in his early efforts in this direction there, he determined to select a wider field of usefulness. Accordingly, in 1834, he emigrated to Kentucky, where he found his anticipations abundantly realized. Here, in what is generally known as the Ashland District around Lexington, he continued to instruct, having in charge for many years a Female Seminary at Nicholasville. In 1845 he was united in marriage with Miss Ann Terrell, eldest daughter of the late Colonel Henry T. Terrell, of Garland Co., Kentucky. After prosecuting his profession for some twenty years in Kentucky, and being desirous of ridding himself and family of that baneful influence of the peculiar institution prevalent there, emigrated to Illinois with his little family in 1852, stopping for a short time at Jacksonville and vicinity, till the completion of the Seminary at Greenfield, and in the Fall of 1852 moved to the above place and took charge of the same. Over this he presided until the introduction of the public school system, when he retired, yet teaching at intervals until 1867, when he erected what is known as the "Greenfield Academy," a private institution, which he has conducted ever since, which has enjoyed a good degree of prosperity nearly all the time, having numbered in the course of fifty sessions over six hundred students. During his whole professional career, he has instructed his hundreds and even thousands of students, some of whom have been members of Congress and of the State legislature, and distinguished divines, lawyers, judges and generals in our army, besides the many who have adorned the private walks of life. In 1859, the organization of the Presbyterian church in Greenfield, he was chosen a ruling elder, which position he still holds, having many times represented his church constituency in all the higher courts, including the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of the United States. In 1862 his first wife died, leaving three children, two of whom, Ann Esther and Fannie Everett still survive. In 1867 was married to Mrs. Lucy Trumbull. At present, 1879, he has somewhat retired to the shades of private life, though still engaged in the educational, benevolent and religious enterprises of the day
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 700-01(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WILDER THOMAS T.
WILDER THOMAS T., farmer. Sec. 24, P.O. Athensville. Born Feb. 20, 1834, near the spot where he now resides; married Dec. 11, 1856, to Rebecca, daughter of William and Rachel Brandon, of Kentucky, born Jan. 12, 1836; this union was blessed by seven children, only one of whom is now living, viz.: Frank G., born Dec. 1, 1863. Mrs. Wilder died Feb. 19, 1877, of consumption, and was buried at Prairie Cemetery. Mr. Wilder has experienced sad bereavement in his family, having buried his wife and six children within a period of sixteen years. Mr. Wilder's occupation has been that of farming all his life; homestead consists of 100 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 612(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WILHITE W. THOMAS
WILHITE W. THOMAS, dry goods, and general store, Greenfield. The subject of this sketch first saw the light of day in Oldham County, Ky., Feb. 27, 1836; was the son of Thomas and Martha Wilhite, who were of German descent. His early advantages for obtaining an education were fair, considering the times and his surroundings. His father died when William was but an infant, and he was then at the mercies of a step-father. Before he arrived at his majority he made two trips to this State before he finally settled here, these trips being made in the years 1855-56. After coming out the last time, he formed a matrimonial alliance with Elizabeth Hockensmith, which was celebrated May 2, 1856. • Elizabeth was a daughter of Andrew Hockensmith; she was born Jan. 22, 1838. From this union they have had eight children, five of whom are now living: Nora B., born June 20, 1860; Howard A., born Sept. 16, 1865; Ernest, born April 24, 1869; Claude, born April 27, 1876; Rena Ethel, born April 14, 1878. After his marriage he bought a farm near Scottsville, Macoupin Co., where he engaged in farming pursuits for eight years; his health becoming impaired, he moved to Greenfield until he recuperated his health, and then went out east of town, where he farmed for three years; he does not consider his first attempt at farming a success, according to his own judgment, having begun the business without any knowledge, he had to get the experience first; but he considers his second attempt more of a success, as he made money from the first until he abandoned it. He then went to Greenfield, and embarked in the mercantile business, and has since been loyal to it, and his efforts have been attended with gratifying results. From his modest beginning he has now got the largest and best arranged storehouse in town, and the largest, choicest, and most valuable stock. He is dealing in dry goods, notions, boots and shoes, and, in fact, has a general store, and selling at prices to suit the times. Mr. Williite has, by strict attention to his business and studying the wants and needs of his customers, and square dealing built up a trade and a reputation which has crowned his efforts with marked success. Mr. Wilhite is a man that is very resolute in anything which he undertakes, and once he "puts his hand to the plow, he never turns back," until he accomplishes what he undertakes. He is a man that has never sought office, has been content to attend to his own business; is not a member of any church; is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is known in the community as a reliable man and worthy citizen.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 701(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WILKINSON GEORGE
WILKINSON GEORGE, the late, who deserves more than a passing notice due his kindly nature and generous disposition, was born in Kentucky; emigration was moving rapidly westward, and he determined to carve out a fortune upon the prairies of Illinois, and accordingly, after many weeks of travel, settled in what is known as the Sand Ridge, Greene County, where he followed farming up to the time of his decease, which occurred in 1852. To the care of his wife, whose maiden name was Lusetta Martin, he left a family of three children: James, Midas E. and George, Mrs. W. is a native of Tennessee; born August 5, 1829, and was married to George Wilkinson in 1846. Mrs. Wilkinson relates that when she began housekeeping her husband was very poor, and for several years it was an up hill struggle for an existence. Mr. W. survived his trip but five years; his wife, thus left in moderate circumstances, was materially aided by her children who, though young, were industrious. James, the elder, developed an energy of character that has made him a successful farmer, and he has helped very materially to bring the home farm to its present state of cultivation; it comprises 360 acres, and is owned jointly by Mrs. Wilkinson and oldest son; the substantial farm residence was erected in 1865. The statement should have been made that Mr. Wilkinson died near North Platte River, on his way to Oregon
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 565(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WILKINSON JAMES
WILKINSON JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Breese. Mr. Wilkinson was born in Kentucky, June 11, 1831; in early infancy his parents, William F. and Jane Wilkinson, settled in Greene County, Ill. Mr. Wilkinson was a carpenter by trade, who worked at this calling and that of farming many years. In 1858 he moved to Piatt County, Ill., where he now resides, retired from active life; Mrs. Wilkinson passed away during the Spring of 1877. James whose name heads this sketch, grew to manhood in Greene County, where the greater portion of his life has been spent, as a farmer. For two years he made his home in California. November 23, 1853, he was married to Miss Mary Allen, a daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Allen. This marriage was blessed with seven children: Elaine W., William Ira, America T., George A., Lewis C, Effie L., and Louisa J., deceased
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 565-6(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WILKINSON WM. J.
WILKINSON WM. J. farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Breese. Mr. Wilkinson's among our most substantial farmers; he was born in Casey County, Ky., February 25, 1828; he was but three years old when his parents moved to Scott County, Ill., and shortly afterward to Greene, where a cabin was first rented. Mr. W. says that at this time wild game was very plenty and frequently graced the table of the pioneer, for, like nearly all Kentuckians, the head of the family was an excellent shot, and became a frequent participant in that interesting sport called a deer drive. Passing his boyhood among the sturdy veterans of the prairie, many of whom are gathered to their fathers, young Wilkinson attained a vigorous energy that few possess. From 1849 until 1860 he rented property. At twenty-two he married Miss Elizabeth Jane Lovelace. When the war came on he enlisted in the 91st Regiment Ill. Vol.; he served one year in the service of Uncle Sam; after his return from the army he went to California, where he remained nearly four years. Mr. W. owns, to-day, 301 acres of choice land, on which he has lately erected a handsome farm residence; he has only one child, Laurett, who resides at home
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 566(T12N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WILL W.
WILL W. boot and shoe manufacturer, E. Railroad St., Roodhouse, Ill., dealer in gaiters, rubbers, slippers; repairing done neatly and cheaply; all work warranted. Mr. Will came to Roodhouse during the Autumn of 1876, established himself in business in a short time on a solid basis, owing to superior workmanship and material used. Mr. W. is a native of Germany; born in 1840. His father, Phillip Will, was a shoemaker by occupation; he raised a family of five children, of whom William was the oldest son. Mr. Will crossed the Atlantic in 1871, landing in New York City. He went to St. Louis, where he entered the employ of a large boot and shoe house; an employee of the house two years. At St. Louis he was united in marriage to Miss Lena Rinhault, a native of Germany. See business card of Mr. Will, in business directory of this work
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 578(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


WILLIAMS DAVID J.
WILLIAMS DAVID J. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 24, P.O. Kane In entering into a description of men and early times in Illinois, it will be well to give a description of the ancestry of many of those whose names head our biographical sketches. The father of our subject, David Williams, was a native of Virginia, and removed to Ohio in an early day, where he married Miss Sarah McKinsey. Eventually he made his way to Missouri and thence to Illinois, settling in Greene County, that part now known as township 9, range 12, in 1821, where he erected a cabin and began to make other preparations incident to pioneer life. A blacksmith by trade, he never turned his attention to it in Illinois, but followed agriculture, and became moderately successful in this vocation. Of the first marriage three children were born: Matilda, Lewis and John. Lewis, the only survivor, resides at Rockbridge. The second wife of Mr. Williams was Miss Margaret Stout, a daughter of John Stout, of Virginia, who was of German origin. There were born of the second marriage, three children: Clarissa, who married Joshua Clark, and subsequently, on his decease, married Aaron Flatt; Sarah Ann, deceased, who married Ambrose Griswold and David J., who was destined to become one of the most successful agriculturists in Greene County, where he was born, in the year 1829, and where he grew to manhood, surrounded by such influences as have made many of our more opulent western men. In 1856 he was united in marriage to Miss Adeline Witt, a daughter of Franklin Witt, a prominent farmer of Greene County. At this date he was more comfortably situated in life than many, and now set about adding to his possessions; how he has succeeded is well known to the residents of this county, and it would perhaps be superfluous to follow his career in Greene County, step by step. He is the owner of nearly 1,000 acres of valuable land, but his habits of life, marked by extreme simplicity, leave no room for the extravagance or pomp of fashion that follows this nineteenth century. Of this marriage eight children were born, of whom five are living: Emma, George C, Lewis F., William H., and Walter S.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 765(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WILLIAMS GEORGE W.
WILLIAMS GEORGE W. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 32, P.O. White Hall. Mr. Williams, although not among the earliest settlers of Greene County, is worthy of more than a passing notice. He was born in Virginia, Sept. 5, 1816. He was the fifth child of a family of thirteen children. His parents were John and Elizabeth Williams, who died in Virginia. George left Virginia, in 1846, for Illinois, locating, on arrival, near White Hall, where he purchased what is now known as the Adams Farm. This he bought on time from David Barrow. A natural mechanic at this time he devoted considerable time to blacksmithing. In 1847 he was married to Miss Sarah J. Williams, a daughter of the late Lewis Williams, by whom he had one child. In 1848 Mrs. W., departing this life, was laid at rest in the Carrollton Cemetery. On the 4th of April, 1849, Mr. Williams was married to Miss Tabitha J. Pankey, a daughter of William B. Pankey, by whom he has seven children: Mary A., Edward, John J., Virginia, William B., Emma, and Holmes. Mr. Williams is a kind hearted man and a substantial citizen, owning 200 acres in valuable town property, at White Hall, and a farm of 100 acres in Kansas
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 600(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WILLIAMS JOHN T.
WILLIAMS JOHN T. farmer. Sec. 30. Mr. Williams was born in Virginia in 1811. In his twenty-fourth year he went to Ohio; in those days railroads were comparatively unknown, steamboats were a novelty on our western waters, and this journey to Ohio was an extremely difficult task, over the Alleghany and other mountain ranges; trudging along on foot over the rough uneven paths, he at length halted at Urbana, Ohio, from this point he proceeded to Indianapolis, Ind. Mr. W. had learned the trade of a blacksmith, but not liking this for a life occupation, he hired out as a rough carpenter; this seems to have been his true vocation, for he made a very good workman, and finished some of the finer work on the residence of Governor Nobles; from here he went to Madison, Ohio, and thence Madison, Tenn., thence to Nashville, and thence to St. Louis; here he worked as a carpenter and sold lumber. Making his way to Carrollton, this county, where he married Miss Margaret Williams, by whom he had nine children, four of whom are living. From Carrollton he settled near Kane, and is now one of our most successful farmers, owning 1100 acres in some of the best precincts of Greene County
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 745-6(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WILLIAMS WILLIAM P.
WILLIAMS WILLIAM P. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 6, town 8, range 12, Jersey County, P. O. Kane. Prominent among the agriculturists of Jersey County we mention with more than ordinary notice the whole souled gentleman whose name heads this sketch; he was born in Botetourt County, Virginia, on the 30th of July, 1823, the ninth of a family of thirteen children, and what is somewhat remarkable, eleven are still living, now aged men and women. The head of this family was John Williams, a native of Virginia, where he followed agriculture and blacksmithing. He was married in Virginia to Miss Elizabeth Rock. He died at an advanced age, and his ashes repose in the old Dominion State. Mrs. Williams survived her husband some six years, and was laid at rest amid the scenes of many years of hardships. William, from whom our sketch is obtained, passed his boyhood in Virginia where he received a liberal education; some thirty years ago, Mr. W. became a resident of Greene County, where he taught school for a short time, and on the 28th of Aug., 1851, he was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Jane English, a daughter of Thos. English who settled in Greene County during the Autumn of 1835; after a residence of five years in Greene County, Mr. W. moved to Jersey County where he soon moved to the front rank as an agriculturist; as his successful and honorable career, in this indepentent calling is so well known, it is perhaps only necessary to state that he is the owner of 580 acres of valuable land, and a more thorough going, energetic farmer, it would be a hard matter to find; of the marriage, five children were born, Mary, who died in 1852, an infant child; Thomas F.,Louan and Martha Kyle. Mr. Williams has always taken a deep interest in educational matters, and for several years has officiated as a school director
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 746(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WILSON EBERLE, M. D.
WILSON EBERLE, M. D. Sec. 34, P.O. Rockbridge. The Doctor was born in Girard County, Kentucky, Jan. 22, 1839; is the fifth child of a family of eight children, born of Horatio and Thursa Wilson, her maiden name was Lair. In addition to the common school education, he attended the academy three years at Houstinville; subsequent to this he taught several terms of school. The war breaking out he enlisted in the 19th Kentucky State Vols., Federal army, Dec. 21, 1861, was mustered out Jan. 27, 1865. He entered as private, was promoted to the non-commission staff as Q. M. Sergeant, next to 2d Lieut, and subsequently to 1st Lieut. He was engaged in all the battles that the regiment participated in. At the battle of Mansfield, during Banks' celebrated Red River expedition, he was taken prisoner in connection with eight companies of the regiment, when he was taken to Texas and confined at Fort Tyler, remained six months, then was exchanged and returned to his regiment. In 1865, upon his return, he began the study of medicine under P. W. Logan, who had been a surgeon of some prominence in the service; he continued with him for a term of three years, during which time he attended all the lectures incident to the regular course, at Bellevue, and received his graduation at Brooklyn, N. Y. Subsequent to this he stopped awhile at Cincinnati, not yet knowing where he would locate. In the Fall of 1867, he moved to Fayette, where he located and practiced until the Fall of 1872, then moved to Rockbridge, where he has since been engaged in the practice of materia viedica. The Doctor is Democratic in sentiment, is a member of the Knights of Honor. Was married to Lucy A. Cannedy, daughter of W. Cannedy; their marriage was celebrated Sept. 11, 1868; they have three children: John C, born Aug. 21, 1869; Orville W., born April 21, 1873; Sue V., born Jan. 22, 1876. Mrs. Wilson was born March 13, 1851. The Doctor has a good practice; is a zealous advocate of the temperance cause
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 701-2(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WILTSHIRE JAMES
WILTSHIRE JAMES, farmer, Sec. 34, P.O. White Hall. Was born in England, Nov. 7, 1837. He came to this country, landing in New York City, May 27, 1867, and to this county in 1872. His father and mother both died in England. He was married in England, Oct. 7, 1866, to Mary A. S. Matthews, daughter of Phillip and Matilda S. Matthews. She was born in England, June 7, 1844. They have two children: George Phillip, born May 7, 1873; Willie James, born in this county. May 3, 1878
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 619(T12N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


WINN GEO. W.
WINN GEO. W. settled in Greene Co. in 1829; was born in Indiana, in 1827. Two years later his parents moved to Illinois, locating near Carrollton, a hamlet containing but a few straggling log cabins and a primitive store, kept by one John Evans; contents same as pertained to those outposts of civilization. Pork then brought $1.50 per hundred, wheat 37 cents per bushel, and other things in proportion. The land where the pioneers settled was unbroken, requiring the muscle of the head of the family to subdue. Here he lived for many a year, in a simple manner, his wants few because easily satisfied. He died in 1861, his wife dying in 1855. Of this family there are now living six children; the eldest, George W., from whom this sketch is obtained, grew to manhood in this county. His education was derived sitting on oakwood slab seats, from a Webster's spelling book principally. These were the days of hard times, although wheat frequently glutted the market. White bread or biscuit was seldom eaten, perhaps once a week, on Sunday. Young Winn became apprenticed to the trade of a blacksmith, and became a superior workman. When the war of the rebellion came on, he enlisted in Co. I, 91st Ill. Inf. and served as general wardmaster. While in the army two little children of Mr. Winn died. The bereaved mother, now left entirely alone, decided to enter the service of U. S. for the relief of our noble boys in blue. For nineteen months she ministered to the sick and the dying with a solicitude that gained for her the esteem of all. The heroine of the hospital wards at St. Louis, and the wife of G. W. Winn, was Mary C. Boggers, a daughter of Madison Boggers, who settled in Greene County in 1828, a wagon maker by trade, who fought in the Black Hawk war. There are five children : John, William, Elmer, Mary E., and Julia Ann. In conclusion it may be stated Mr. Winn's life has been a success, owning a large brick, machine and blacksmith shop at White Hall. He also owns valuable property in the town and also at Carrollton. What is somewhat remarkable, Mr. W. has never uttered an oath, never drank any liquor, nor used tobacco
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 541(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WINSLOW E. B.
WINSLOW E. B. saddler and harness maker, E. Railroad st., Roodhouse, Ill. Two years ago Mr. Winslow came in our midst, and has proved himself a live business man and a thorough workman. He was born at Mount Sterling, Brown Co., Ill., April, 1844; but eighteen when the war came on, he enlisted in Co. B, 133d Ill. Inft., at Jacksonville, in the one hundred day service, and was honorably discharged during the Spring of 1864, locating at Springfield, Ill. In this city and Jacksonville he worked very industriously as a harness maker, and became a skilled journeyman. Should be stated, Mr. W. commenced his trade in Clinton. DeWitt Co., Ill. Mr. Winslow was married to Miss Hattie Beerup, of Sangamon County. After his marriage he moved to Chatham, also Girard, Sangamon County. Drove a thriving trade, and became firmly established in business; now located at Roodhouse. He makes the latest styles of harness in a superior manner, which those who contemplate purchasing will do well to note
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 578-9(Roodhouse); - transcribed by bmt


WINTERS J. C. COL.
WINTERS J. C. COL. a leading agriculturist of Greene County and one of its most prominent citizens, is a native of Sinclair County, Ill.; born in 1816. Passing briefly by the earlier years of his life, spent upon the old farm homestead, we arrive at the year 1846, when war was declared between Mexico and the United States Government, with a zeal consistent with his early years, he enlisted as a private in Company C, 1st Reg. Ill. Vol., under the command of Col. J. J. Hardin. Proceeding to the front, ranking as a 2d Lieutenant, he became engaged in the battle, so famous in history, and known as Buena Vista. Sharing the privations incident to a soldier's life thirteen months, he was honorably discharged, at Camargo, and returned to Greene County, where he had moved to from Morgan. While quietly pursuing his vocation of farmer, the rebellion coming on, and realizing the danger to the old flag that had proudly waved over many a battle field years prior, he quickly organized a company and proceeded to Missouri. Although he first ranked as captain, through meritorious conduct he became the popular colonel of the 59th Ill. Entering for three years' service, when his term expired, owing to ill health, he resigned his commission, retiring from the stirring scenes of war to the quiet pursuits of agriculture. In 1850, while a member of the legislature, he became known among the members who voted in favor of the Illinois Central R.R., then seeking to extend its lines to Chicago. Since his retirement from the legislature, the name of Colonel Winters has been frequently mentioned in connection with responsible offices, but he has invariably declined them all, preferring to attend to the duties of his farm, comprising 317 acres in Tp. 12, R. 11. Like our late martyred President, Mr. Winters, thirty-eight years ago, split rails for a livelihood, and to-day can point with pride to a success achieved by no ordinary energy. Mr. Winters was married to Miss Cynthia Cochran, a most estimable lady, by whom he has seven children: Frank, Samuel, Lafayette, Solon, Joshua, Josephine, and Byron
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 600-01(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WISE DANIEL
WISE DANIEL, dealer in dry goods and general notions. Main Street, White Hall, Ill. Mr. Wise became a resident of White Hall twelve years ago, and first started in business with Dr. Stou';the firm name becoming Stout & Wise. The new firm transacted a drug and grocery business, and became quite successful. After one year Mr. W. retired and entered the employ of Bridges & Worcester, and afterward A. Davis & Co. In 1873 Mr. Wise located on Main Street, where he rented the building he now occupies, and where he transacts a good business and a growing one. It would perhaps be superfluous to state that Mr. Wise is a strictly honorable business man. He was born near Jacksonville, Morgan County; received a preliminary education at home, afterward attending the Shurtleff College, situated at Upper Alton. When the war came on he enlisted in the I22d Ill. Inf., for three years, holding the responsible position of hospital steward. He was engaged in many important engagements; honorably discharged in 1865. After the war he located at his old home at Virden, Macoupin County, and from Virden came to White Hall. Mrs. Wise's grandfather was a native of Germany
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 541(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WISE LEWIS N.
WISE LEWIS N. school teacher. Sec. 23, P.O. White Hall. Mr. Wise is a native of Greene County, born Dec. 15, 1836, the youngest of a family of nine children. The early years of his life were passed upon a farm. Early evincing a taste for knowledge he applied himself assiduously to his studies and acquired a liberal education. At nineteen he entered Shurtleft' College; remaining one year, he became versed in the higher English studies. Attaining his majority, he determined to adopt teaching as a profession, and for a period of seven years was a teacher of a district school. During this time he united his fortunes to Miss Rebecca Jones, a daughter of David B. Jones. For a period of sixteen years he has taught school in Greene County, and, his attainments being far above the average, he gives general satisfaction. In his twenty fourth year he was elected justice of the peace and township treasurer. In 1869 he made his way to Kansas, where with his family he settled in Montgomery County. At Independence he conducted a successful merchandise business, but in the midst of prosperity his devoted wife sickened and died. Disheartened at the death of her who had shared his fortunes, he returned to Greene County, where he is the owner of 40 acres of valuable land, but still continues his old vocation
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 601(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WITASCHEK ANDREW
WITASCHEK ANDREW, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 1, P.O. Carrollton, was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1815, living in his mother country till 1850, then came to America, and made his way to Greene County, Ill.; having but small means he rented land for ten years , then, in 1868. bought 80 acres, and as he accumulated, bought land till he now owns 200 acres; his farm is well improved and well stocked; he was married in 1856, to Mrs. Christine Grollmas, who has two children by her first marriage, Joseph and Amy; one by her; last union, John
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 771(T9N R13W); - transcribed by bmt


WITHERS HON. HENRY C
WITHERS HON. HENRY C, attorney at law, Carrollton, was born in Girard County, Ky., on the 10th of January, 1839. His father, William Withers, was the son of Abij'.h Withers, whose father, William Withers, removed from Virginia to Kentucky at an early period, where the family thereafter resided. His parental ancestry were originally natives of England and Scotland; came to America and settled in Virginia prior to the revolution. His mother, Elizabeth Withers, was the daughter of the Hon. Horatio Bruce, a distinguished politician of the Democratic party of Kentucky, and Elizabeth Beasely of Ohio. Mr. Bruce was one of the first men of Kentucky of any prominence to advocate a repeal of the laws imprisoning for debt, and it was mainly through his influence and exertion while a member of the legislature that it was successfully accomplished. He was born in Virginia and at an early age moved to Kentucky. His father, John Bruce, and eight sons, older brothers of Horatio, served through the war for independence under General Washington, and also served during the war of 1812. He was a cousin of Henry Clay, and an uncle of the present Judge Horatio W. Bruce, of Louisville, Ky. The Bruces are of Scotch origin and claim kinship to King Robert, the founder of the Stuart dynasty. His grandfather Bruce had eight brothers who were lawyers, four of whom were legislators and some of them especially distinguished, and admiration for his character influenced more than any other, our subject to choose the profession of the law. In 1846 his parents left Kentucky and settled in Greene County. There he attended the common school during the winter months only, working on the farm the remainder of the year. But so great was his zeal and ambition that his progress in learning was equal to that of his classmates who attended throughout the entire year. At seventeen he entered the Berean College, at Jacksonville, Ill., at which he commenced a classical course of study. After two years he became proficient in the Greek, Latin and German languages and mathematics. Lack of means on the part of his parents made a further prosecution of the collegiate course impossible. He subsequently taught a common school near Alexander Station, Morgan County. In the Summer of 1858 he worked as a farm laborer in Greene County, making a full hand at all kinds of farm work during the season. The following winter he began the study of law under Hon. James W. English at Carrollton, where he permanently settled in 1867. He formed a copartnership with Hon. David M. Woodson, deceased, who for sixteen years served in the capacity of Circuit Judge. In 1860 he became an active supporter of Stephen A. Douglas for the Presidency, and acquired, during that campaign, some reputation as a speaker. In 1865-6 he edited in an able manner the Carrollton Democrat. In 1872 he was a delegate to the Baltimore Convention and indorsed the platform there made in 1866. At the age of twenty-seven he was elected to the House of Representatives from Greene County, and in Aug. 1874, was elected as an independent candidate to the office of State's attorney, March 18, 1863, he was married to Fanny, only daughter of the late David M. Woodson, one of the most upright men that founded a home within the borders of Greene County. Two sons were born of this marriage: Meade W. and William H.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 503-4(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


WITT GEORGE W.
WITT GEORGE W. farmer, stock raiser and trader. Among the more prosperous farmers of Greene County, the name of George W. Witt is worthy of more than a passing notice. Many of the old pioneers who yet remain among us, remember with warm admiration, Franklin Witt, a leader among men in earlier times, and who afterward became noted in the annals of the State and the nation. He was a native of Tennessee, where he was born in the year 1804. His patents gained a livelihood by the products of the farm, and in 1814, to better their finances, perhaps, moved westward and settled in Polk County, in the extreme southern portion of Illinois. We have only space to say that Franklin Witt passed his boyhood among pioneer associations; imbibed there that spirit of self-reliance that led to successful results. He married in his nineteenth year Miss Melinda Perry, a daughter of Captain Franklin Perry. In 1826 he sought broader fields, and packing his household goods upon the two horses he owned, after some days spent in travel he landed in Greene County with scarcely a dollar. He now began in an humble way to gain a footing in Illinois, at a time when horse-mills were the fashion, and rough round log cabins the only habitations in the pioneer settlements/ His was an energetic nature, and he accumulated property rapidly. In subsequent years he became a justice of the peace, and about 1835 he became the regular nominee of the Democratic party, and received the election of legislator, serving through this session. Probably no man in his day swerved the popular heart more than he, and on three subsequent occasions he received the election to represent this county in the Legislature, and presided as a member when Springfield became the capital. As a representative he had proved so efficient that he now received the nomination for State Senator. Serving through one session and receiving a re-election he was a member of that body when he died at his home in Greene County in 1846. For that time and day he was a wealthy man, owning the mill property and some two thousand acres of land. To the care of his wife he left a family of four children: Ellinor, who married Harrison Reno, and on his decease, became the wife of William Elmore; Adeline, who married David J. Williams; Elizabeth, who married Richard Brown, and George W., who heads this sketch, who was married in 1866 to Miss Eliza Moore, a daughter of Carter Moore, by whom he has one child, Toinette. Mrs. Witt died in 1873, and the following year Mr. Witt was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Gardiner, a daughter of the late Rev. C. J. Gardiner, of whom mention is made elsewhere. Of this marriage three children were born, two of whom are living: Freddie T. and an infant child. For eight years Mr. Witt presided as a justice of the peace, and two years ago was a candidate for sheriff. He is the owner of some 600 acres of valuable land, ranks among our more opulent farmers, and has, in all probability, the finest farm residence in Greene County
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 765-6(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WITT RANDOLPH
WITT RANDOLPH, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 10, P.O. Carrollton. Randolph Witt, a well-known resident and early settler of Greene County, is a native of Jefferson County, Tenn., where he was born on the 3d of Dec, 1810, third child of Ely and Nancy Witt. He raised a family of twelve children, two having died before arriving at mature years. It was during the year 1829 that the Witt family took up the line of departure for the West, landing in Greene County on the 6th of December of this year. Ely Witt rented the first year of his settlement. Randolph well remembers the deep snow, and relates that it began falling toward the latter part of December, and continued to do so at intervals during the Winter, at the time the weather continued mild, causing a crust to form on the top of the snow, causing many wild animals to perish, and so emboldened did they become that it was no uncommon occurrence for the early settler to frequently find them at the threshold of his cabin. Ely Witt died during the Autumn of 1851, and nine years later his wife was laid at rest amid the scenes of her early labors. Randolph received a round log cabin education, and early learned the energetic ways of his ancestry. On the 18th of August, 1836, he was married to Miss Polly Tunnell, oldest daughter now living of the late Hon. Calvin Tunnell, one of the best men who bore a prominent part in the development of Greene County. Mr. Witt, in his own language, put in many years of his time in a log cabin, a rough box taking the place of a table the first Winter. He is now one of the leading agriculturists and the owner of 790 acres of valuable land in the counties of Montgomery, Macoupin, and Greene. Not only does Mr. Witt rank among our more opulent farmers, but his kindness of heart and generosity is unbounded. Of the marriage four children were born: Andrew J., William T., Jane E., and Elzina
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 766(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WOLSEY AMOS
WOLSEY AMOS, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 7, P.O. Kane. Amos Wolsey is a native of Greene Co., born in 1844; third child of Amos and Eunice Wolsey, who settled in Greene County, about the year 1854, where young Amos grew to manhood. October, 1871, he was united in marriage to Miss Alice Farmer, a daughter of Ely Farmer. Of this marriage three children were born: Steven, Eliza and John
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 746(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WOLSEY SIMEON L.
WOLSEY SIMEON L. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 8, P. O. Kane. The above named gentleman is a native of Jersey County, born in 1845, where he passed the days of his childhood, early youth and grew to manhood, becoming early inured to the quiet but independent life of a farmer. During the Autumn of 1872, Mr. W. was united in marriage to Miss Keturah Snell, a daughter of Dr. Asa Snell. There were born of this marriage three children: Rosa, Agnes and Simeon W. In 1875 Mr. Wolsey moved to Greene County, where he has since been identified with agricultural interests, owning 100 acres in T.9, R. 11
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 746(T9N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WOOD BLATCHLEY C. REV.
WOOD BLATCHLEY C. REV., M. D. Carrollton. Blatchley Wood is a native of Truedell County, North Carolina; was born on the 5th of November, 1797, and is the eldest son of Miller Wood and Malinda M. Campbell, the former a native of Long Island, N. Y., and the latter of Culpepper County, Va. The family was first represented in America by his paternal grandfather and brothers, who emigrated from England about 1690, and settled on what is called Wood's Neck, on Long Island. About the same time Dr. Ebenezer Blatchley, one of his paternal great-grandfathers, emigrated from Scotland and settled in the same place. He was a Presbyterian, and left his native land that he might enjoy civil and religious liberty, a motive which prompted Adam Campbell, also the maternal grandfather of our subject, who settled in Culpepper County, Va., and there married Elizabeth Morgan, and reared a large family. While the subject of our notice was yet an infant his parents moved to Warren County, Ky., where his father was for many years a planter, in good circumstances. He was a man of excellent character, upright and true, and used every means for the moral development of his family. Blatchley passed his early life in agricultural pursuits, and imbibed there those habits of industry and frugality that have marked his entire subsequent career. His educational advantages however, were meager, there being few schools in Kentucky at that time; but being an apt and careful student, he availed himself of every opportunity of acquiring knowledge, and thus, largely by his own private study, gained a good English education. His life has always been pure and exemplary. In his own words: " I do not recollect of ever swearing an oath in my life, yet conscious of the prevalence of passion from my earliest recollection, of a heart disposed to wickedness, so that, notwithstanding the restraint by which I was kept within the bounds of respectable morality, my heart was not right in the sight of God." In 1817 he united with the M. E. Church, having been baptised in infancy; his mind was directed toward the ministry. Following the promptings of duty he began preparing for his work, and was greatly aided in his studies by both Presbyterian and Methodist ministers. After learning the Hebrew alphabet from the 116th psalm, he was compelled to await further progress in the study until he could procure a book. He read theology under the direction of Rev. John K. Daly, of Marion County, Ky., and in September, 1822, was ordained to the ministry, and during the next nine years preached in Kentucky and Tennessee,traveling over ten large counties in his circuit, many of his stations being from ten to twenty miles apart. Owing to the scarcity of physicians and the great suffering which he encountered in his travels, it occurred to him that to combine the practice of medicine with his ministerial duties would be to greatly enhance his power for good. Accordingly he began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. J. E. Cook, of Kentucky, and later studied with Dr. J. Brady, of Tennessee, and in 1829 began his practice, prescribing for the sick whenever he found time, in his circuit. In 1834 he removed to Greene County, Ill., where for fourteen years he was engaged in the practice of his profession, and at the expiration of that time, resumed the ministry, in which he continued until 1878, when he was placed upon the superanuated list. In all he has devoted over twenty years to the practice of medicine, and thirty years to the ministry. He has preached in Jersey, Morgan, Madison, Bond, Montgomery and other counties, and has at different times been pastor at Jacksonville, Alton, Greenfield, Hillsboio, Exeter, Manchester, and Carrollton. Though not a classical scholar, Dr. Wood gained a good knowledge of the Hebrew language. As a preacher he was clear and logical; large-hearted and self-denying, his humanity was touched with sympathy for all. He was married, in 1822, in Pulaski County, Ky., to Miss Nancy McCaw, daughter of David Mc- Caw, a native of Ireland. Dr. Wood is a man of decided principles and a true friend of progress, and has ever given to temperance and education a hearty support. His life has been one of loyalty to noble purposes, and now, as his record approaches its close, and he nears the morning land, its gray light beams upon his pathway, betokening to him the happy dawn of a new and brighter day
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 504-5(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


WOOD GEORGE T.
WOOD GEORGE T. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 10, P.O. Carrollton. The above named gentleman is the second child of Allen B. and Tryphena Wood. Allen B. Wood was a native of Kentucky, and early became identified in agricultural pursuits. He accompanied his parents to Greene County in an early day, the exact date can not now be ascertained, where many of the name in subsequent years bore a prominent part in the growth and development of the county. Allen B. Wood became more fortunately situated in life than many in the West in an early day, although for some little time he worked as a farm hand. In 1850 he was united in marriage to Miss Tryphena Mulberry, by whom he had eight children, four of whom are living: John P., Addie, George, and Judy Ethel. Not long after his marriage, Mr. W. embarked in the grocery and dry goods trade in a small building in what is familiarly known as Upper Woodville, commencing his business on a light capital, save wit and energy, he sprang at once into a successful business career, and in after years became the owner of valuable farm property. He died during the Autumn of 1873, after a long and eventful life, and was laid at rest in the Maberry Cemetery. Mrs. Wood, who was born in Kentucky on the 26th of August, 1827, passed away March 18, 1871. As some notice of the survivors of the family will be given, we enter into a short description of George Wood. He was born in Greene County in 1833; received a liberal education. From his earliest years he has followed farming, and latterly has become somewhat extensively engaged as a stock buyer and dealer. In October, 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Robinson, a daughter of Nathaniel Robinson, of Kentucky. Two children blessed this union: Allen E., deceased, and Claudius E. Mr. W. is the owner of 40 acres of valuable land in town 9, range 12
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 766-7(T9N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WOOD JAMES A.
WOOD JAMES A. farmer. Sec. 30. P.O. Berdan, was born Nov. 1, 1833, in St. Lawrence County, Mo., son of George and Sarah M. Wood, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Kentucky. When quite young he came to this county. In Dec. 18, 1856, was married to Sarah Ann Pinkerton, a native of this county, by whom he has had nine children, viz.: George A., born Jan. 11, 1858; Isaac L., born Sept. 11, 1859; Sarah E., born Aug. 19, 1861; Minnie J., born June 13 1863; Henry R., born Feb. 20, 1865; Lotty A., born May 22. 1867; John G., born Sept. 9, 1869; Willie O., born Nov. 5, 1872; Martha M., born Nov. 4, 1874. Mr. Wood has 200 acres of land, which is well improved, and upon which he intends to spend the remainder of his days in peace and quietness, and to hand down to his posterity a name and charactuer unsullied
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 640(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WOODCOCK JAMES K.
WOODCOCK JAMES K. merchant, Greenfield. Among the rising young men of this township, who are now located in business, there are none who are more deserving than J. R. Woodcock, born in Adams County, this State, Sept. 9, 1852. His father's name was Joseph, and his mother's maiden name was Jane Triplett. His parents dying when he was quite young, he was thus thrown upon his own resources. After the death of his parents, went to Missouri, remaining a short time and since 1864 has been a resident of the town of Greenfield. Lived with his uncle, Jas. Rives, several years, receiving his education in the Greenfield High School. In the Spring of 1872 went with W. T. Wilhite as clerk, and remained with him until Jan. 1879. Oct. 16, 1877, was one of the most eventful periods of his life, and one that will not soon be forgotten by him, or the parties concerned; this was the date of his union with Miss Anna Hobbs, daughter of the Rev. J. C. H. Hobbs, which was one of the most romantic and exciting times occurring in the history of the town, too well known to require mention here. J. R. and wife are both members of the M. E. Church at this place, both of them being zealous workers in the Sunday School, of which the former is an able and efficient Superintendent. Feb. 1879, associated with E. P. Metcalf in the drygoods business under the firm name of Metcalf & Woodcock; they have started out on the cash system and are doing a good business, are both young men, and are justly entitled to a liberal share of the public patronage Wooley Edward, notary public, Greenfield
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 702(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WOODMAN NELSON
WOODMAN NELSON, farmer, Sec. 18, P.O. Greenfield, is a representative of Addison County, Vermont, made his debut in the year 1815, July 12. Elijah and Catharine, his parents, emigrating to this State during his sixth year, and located below Carrollton about the year 1821, when the houses, log cabins, were like angel's visits, few and far between. The day his father arrived there. Nelson recounts that a company of men had just returned from an expedition against the Indians, who had been marauding in that locality. Nelson remained at home until he married. During his boyhood he attended the log structures of that day, sitting upon a slab and studying by the aid of such few rays of light ^as could be emitted through the greased paper window panes of that primitive university. Dec. 1837, was wedded to Zerelda Boyle; they had nine children: James, Elijah Charles, Return, George, Georgia A., Josephine, Orlean and Martha. After his marriage he moved to Taylor's Prairie, remained several years, then to a place near Jackson's Mills, then to Jersey County, then came to the place he now lives. Then went to Montgomery County and bought a farm, remained eight years, then came to the place he now lives. Was married the second time to Temperance Spradley, June 5, 1862. She was born Aug. 7, 1826, had three children: William B., born Aug. 21, 1863; Oscar E., born Dec. 16, 1865; Albert G., born June 30, 1868. During the early part of Mr. Woodman's life he was considered an excellent rider and rode in a great many races, and was generally successful; rode the last race during his forty-second year. Now a member of the Baptist Church.
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 702-3(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WOODS ISAAC
WOODS ISAAC, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 26, P.O. White Hall, was born in 1836, in Greene County; was married in 1858, to Martha Raker, born in 1842; have four children: Olive, Oscar, John, and William. The father of the subject of this sketch was born in 1812, and died in 1876; was married to Matilda Wright, who died in 1843; afterward married to Jennette Hues, having fourteen children, five by the first marriage and nine by the last marriage, seven of whom are living. The subject of this sketch is the son of the first marriage
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 651(T11N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WOOLEY N. C.
WOOLEY N. C. dealer in hardware, was born in Hartford, Washington County, New York, July 20, 1820, was the son of David and Laura Wooley, whose maiden name was Hodge. The Wooleys are of English descent. In Feb. 1822, the subject of this sketch, in company with his parents, emigrated to this country, went in a sleigh to Olean Point, where they exchanged their sleigh for a wagon, and there built two boats and then loaded their wagon and horses thereon and in company with three or four families, they sailed down the river in their craft, and landed at Shawneetown, Ills., where they sold their boats, and stopped in Hamilton County. The father of this sketch not finding this locality congenial to his tastes he left his family and went up to Morgan County, where he partially contracted for a piece of land, but the trade falling through with he turned his attention to the millwright business, that being his trade; was engaged in building bridges and horse-mills, continued at this business until the Fall of 1822, when he moved his family west of White Hall, where he cropped awhile, then finally bought and settled upon a piece of land—80 acres. There is quite an interesting circumstance connected with the purchase of that land that will be of interest to the patrons of this work. (See the history of Bluffdale Precinct.) The subject of this sketch remained at home until he attained his majority, attended school and worked at home, and with his father, at his trade which he had learned. In his school days he had very good advantages—also that immediate neighborhood — for his teacher was Prof. Russell, who is the author of that piece entitled, "The worm of the still." Could speak sixteen languages. This educational prodigy lived in that locality and his influence was felt in the community, and the children were well instructed, and all those who were so fortunate as to be pupils of his were truly favored. Mr.Wooley came to Greenfield in 1845, and entered into partnership with his brother-in-law in the carpenter and furniture business, which compact lasted until 1850. On Jan. 25, 1848, he was married to Sarah Speaks, sister of William Speaks, Jr.; by this union they had two children: Blanche and Lillie May, both of whom are now living with their parents. In 1850 he embarked in the business in which he is now engaged. Mr. Wooley has always lived a retired life, has never sought or wanted office, being content to attend to his own affairs and let those who have inclinations in that direction enjoy them. Mr. Wooley has done a deal of trading in real estate and has never bought or traded any property upon which there was a mortgage, or vendor's lien, at the time of trading it; neither has he ever given a mortgage or a deed of trust upon any of his property during his lifetime. He has an excellent storeroom and has studied the wants and wishes of his customers, and by square dealing has built up a flourishing trade, and has by his genial and social nature made many warm friends
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 703(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WORCESTER L. E. & CO.
WORCESTER L. E. & CO. dealers in lumber, lath, shingles, sash, doors, blinds, etc., etc. This firm became established in business four years ago. It was begun in a small way by the Honorable Judge Worcester, who commenced over twenty years ago. Since this date the business has been a growing one. The average sales now amount to $40,000 per annum. Over a million feet of lumber were sold last year. The junior member of this firm, Mr. F. E. Worcester, is a young man of an energetic disposition, that, taken in connection with his business qualities, pave the way for future success. He was born at West Windsor, Vermont, August 22, 1847. In his eighteenth year he located at White Hall. Learning the trade of carpenter, he became a very good workman, and continued in this business until he entered into partnership with Judge Worcester. February, 1872, he was married to Miss Amanda White, a daughter of Alfred White, of Greene County; one child, Alfred, born at White Hall, February 6, 1873
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 541-2(White Hall); - transcribed by bmt


WRIGHT ANDREW J.
WRIGHT ANDREW J. general store, Sec. 23, P.O. Wrightsville. The subject of this sketch is the founder of the town of Wrightsville, which was laid out July, 1872, and upon the land he owned. Mr. Wright is the son of Thomas Wright, a native of South Carolina, who was twice married, first to Elizabeth Bell, by whom he had eight children, two of whom are now living: George M., now 80 years of age, and Elizabeth, now Mrs. Funkhouser. Was married the second time to Mary Cole, by whom he had four children: Andrew J., Thomas, Robert N., and Nancy, now dead. The subject of this sketch was born Aug. 29, in town 10, range 11. Mr. Wright's father entered the land on which Thomas now resides, Sec. 35. Andrew J, has been twice married, first to Lucinda Cunningham, eldest daughter of R. B. Cunningham, from this alliance they had three children: Mary N., born Feb. 8, 1857; James W., born Aug. 2, 1858; Richard D., born Oct. 30, 1860. Mary was married March 8, 1877, to Geo. A. Palmer, who are now located in this township. James and Richard are now at home with their father, carrying on the store and attending to the railroad office and the business of the station. Mr. Wright having been in poor health for several years past, has sold the greater part of his land, and is now engaged in mercantile pursuits, having a general store, keeping in his line nearly everything required by the farmers, and at prices to suit the times. Mr. Wright is a man of retiring nature; has never been an aspirant after office, yet has held several offices of trust at the urgent request of the people; has officiated as township treasurer, justice of the peace, postmaster, and railroad agent. Mr. Wright's early advantages for obtaining an education were very meagre indeed—being reduced to a practical one, and by the aid of the "tallow dip." Yet notwithstanding these unpropitious surroundings of his youth, he has attained success, and for himself a name and character for honesty and uprightness that is worthy of the imitation of those who will succeed him
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 640-1(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WRIGHT GEO.
WRIGHT GEO. retired merchant, Carrollton, Greene County, Ill., was born at Yorkshire, England, in 1808; bound seven years to the trade of a carpenter; before his time expired he purchased his indentures. At 21 he had acquired a liberal education, and now turned his attention to the New World. Crossing the ocean in a sailing vessel, date 1830, he landed in New York, where he remained but a short time, when he made his way to Greene County, Ill., where he first worked at his trade and farming. In 1836 he made his way to Carrollton, where he began life as a merchant on a very small scale indeed. For a period of twenty years Mr. Wright, who was slowly climbing to a front position as a merchant,bought his goods in St. Louis. Year by year he went steadily forward to a successful mercantile career. His indomitable will, great industry and honesty brought its reward, and the statement is to-day given, on good authority, that George Wright was the most successful dry goods merchant in Greene County, Mr. Wright has been twice married. In 1844 he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Turnstall, a danghter of John Turnstall, ex-mayor of Louisville, Ky. Mrs. Wright died in 1856. There were four children born of this marriage; three are living: Warrick, Harry and Lenette; January, 1860, Mr. Wright was married to Mrs. Lattimer, a sister of his former wife, by whom he has two children: Sidney and Arthur. Mr. Wright was a participant in the Black Hawk war
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 505(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


WRIGHT H. W.
WRIGHT H. W. dealer in boots, shoes, hats, caps, and gents' furnishing goods, north side Square, Carrollton, Ill. For the past eight years Mr. Wright has been well and favorably known to the business community here. In the different departments are found a very superior article of goods, bought in the cities of Chicago and St. Louis, and many points in the Eastern States noted for their superior line of goods. Purchases made mostly for cash and rent low, enables Mr. Wright to compete with any and all similar establishments, and parties desirous of purchasing will do well to call and examine styles and prices before purchasing elsewhere. See business card elsewhere
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 505(Carrollton); - transcribed by bmt


WRIGHT THOMAS
WRIGHT THOMAS, farmer. Sec. 35, P.O. Wrightsville, was born on the very spot he now lives upon, Dec. 27, 1836; was the second child of Thomas and Mary Wright, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Kentucky, who came to this county in the Spring of 1833. The subject of this sketch was married to Angeline Goode, daughter of W. B. Goode, Feb. 25, 1869, as a result of this alliance they have had two children: William M., born Jan, 23, 1870; George W., born July 8, 1875. Mr. Wright has 440 acres of land which he is farming, and is of a retiring nature; has held the office of coroner and constable during the past, but has never desired political honors, but is noted for his powerful and retentive memory; can remember almost entire speeches made by orators, and it is related of him that he remembered certain portions of a speech made by a prominent man in the county twenty years ago, and reiterated it, much the discomforture of the speaker, who supposed it had been buried in the debris of the past
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 641(T11N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WRIGHT WARRICK T.
WRIGHT WARRICK T. farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 24, P.O. Carrollton. The above named gentleman is a native of Greene County, born in 1846; oldest son of George Wright, the first merchant in the city of Carrollton , from boyhood to manhood Mr. Wright has followed agricultural pursuits, owning 300 acres, formerly the property of Jerry Tripp
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 523(T10N R12W); - transcribed by bmt


WYATT THOMAS
WYATT THOMAS, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 30, P.O. White Hall. Mr. Wyatt was born in Madison County, Ill., July 5, 1819. He was but a child when his parents settled in Morgan County, and accompanied them to Greene County, settling on the Lorton Prairie, where land was entered from the government. William Wyatt was an exceedingly prosperous farmer for the period of time in which he lived. He passed away thirty-five years ago, Mrs. W., surviving her husband many years, was also laid at rest in Greene County. Thomas, from whom this sketch is obtained, well remembers many of the older pioneers who have been gathered to a home above. At his father's house the North American Indian smoked in stolid silence the pipe of peace and then strode sullenly away across the trackless prairie. The education of the youth was derived in a log cabin not far from his present residence. In his twentieth year he was united in marriage to Miss Nancy Denham, a daughter of Willis Denham, by whom he had ten children: William, John, David, Thomas, Oby, Aaron, Ida, Mary, and Addie. Mr. Wyatt owns 80 acres
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 601(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


WYLDER W. H.
WYLDER W. H. farmer. Sec. 4, P.O. Greenfield. The above is a native of Smith County, now DeKalb, Tennessee, born Feb. 22, 1822, is the son of Moses J. Wylder; there were eight children in the family, W. H. being the third. Moses J. was born in Nash County, South Carolina, and at the age of sixteen enlisted in the Revolutionary war, was at the battle of Eutaw Springs and witnessed the fall of Baron DeKalb. In 1819 left North Carolina and moved to Tennessee, where W. H. was born. Moses J. is the father of George B. Wylder, of Greenfield, who was born when his father was eiglity years old. W. H. moved to this State with his parents when he was but eight years of age, and several families, among whom was J. H. Weisner, all of whom returned again to Tennessee except Mr. Weisner. In 1841 W. H. returned to this State and when lie arrived in this county had one side of leather and three "long bits" in money—37 1/2 cents. Nov. 30, 1842, married Charity Finley, daughter of Thomas Finley, had eight children, five of whom are now living: Josephine, now wife of Joe Madden; William W., near Rockbridge; Francis M., farming near his father; Charlotte, now the wife of Wm. Neal; John Wesley, now at home. In the Spring of 1843, he opened up a tannery less than half a mile from the southern limits of Greenfield, this he conducted successfully tor about five years and then turned his attention to farming. First bought 150 acres and has been adding to the same until he now owns 520 acres of land, besides several houses and lots in Greenfield. His wife died March 10, 1872. Was married second time Oct. 10, 1873, to Mrs. Mary J. Brown, relict of Jerome ' Brown, born Dec. 22, 1834; but one child by this marriage, now dead. Mr. Wylder had but very limited advantages for obtaining an education, his first wife taught him to read; three months was all the schooling he ever got, but he is now a man of good information, and is a thinker, and accepts no man's theories without first giving it due examination. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., Greenfield Lodge, No. 195. Democratic in sentiment
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 703-4(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WYLDER W. W.
WYLDER W. W. farmer. Sec. 22, P. O. Rockbridge, was born in Tp. 10, R. 10, Sec. 8, March 16, 1848; is a son of Wm. Wylder. His mother was a Finley, and a native of Greene County, and his father of Tennessee; he came to this county in the year 1830. The subject of this sketch remained at home until he attained his twenty-third year; two years previous he was united in marriage to Tempy Moore, born June 7, 1847; she is a daughter of Langston Moore, the marriage being celebrated June 24, 1869. As a result of this union, they have five children: Berdelia born May 18, 1870; Sallie, born May 19, 1872; Pete, born Dec. 10, 1873; Cora M., born April 14, 1876; William, born Sept. 7, 1878. After his marriage he remained on the farm with his father for two years. Since that time has been residing on the farm he now occupies. Is Democratic in principle
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 704(T10N R10W); - transcribed by bmt


WYNN JOHN
WYNN JOHN, farmer and stock raiser. Sec. 12, P.O. Manchester, Scott County, III. John Wynn is a native of Ireland, born in the county of Roscommon, in 1847. During his early infancy his father passed to that bourne from whence no traveler ever returns. The youth, in 1859, became a passenger on board a sailing vessel and crossing the Atlantic in it, reached, in due time, New York City, where he remained a short time, when he wended his way to Morgan County, and, entering the employ of James Strawn, twelve years ago, became a resident of Greene County, where, in 1873, he married Miss Margaret Collins, a daughter of Thomas Collins. Three children were born of this marriage: Michael, May, and Margaretta. Like nearly all of his race, liberality is a distinguishing trait of Mr. Wynn's character
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 601-02(T12N R11W); - transcribed by bmt


YOUNGER THOMAS
YOUNGER THOMAS, renter and hog breeder. Sec. 27, P.O. Athensville. Born in Morgan Co., Sept. 16, 1848, removed to Greene County at an early age with his parents; married May 4, 1870, to Hattie M. Rowe, born in Greene County Nov. 22, 1847; two children have blessed this union, Hattie E., born Feb. 9, 1872, and Wm. T., born May 13, 1874. Mr. Younger gives his special attention to the raising of hogs, chiefly of the Berkshire variety, in which he is quite extensively and successfully engaged; rents 140 acres, which bears testimony of his industry on every hand
Source: "History of Greene County Illinois"; Chicago: Donnelley, Gassette & Loyd, Publishers, 1879, page 612(T12N R10W); - transcribed by bmt