Genealogy Trails - Greene County, Illinois Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating! Host: Koni Proctor
National Register of Historic Places listings in Greene County, Illinois
[Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.]
The Black Homestead Farm is a historic farm located west of Carrollton in Greene County, Illinois. Margaret Black, one of the county's first settlers, established the farm in 1821. The farmhouse, built two years later, is the oldest surviving house in Greene County. Architect William Reay designed the brick Federal house, which features a symmetrical plan with evenly spaced windows, an oval fanlight above the original main entrance, and a gable roof with chimneys at each end. A new entrance with a Greek Revival porch was placed on the house in 1855. Other 19th-century farm buildings on the property include a smokehouse, wash house, carriage house, and horse barn. The farm raised livestock and grew grain through the 19th and 20th centuries, as was typical of Greene County farms; it still has active corn and soybean crops. The Black Homestead Farmwas added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 2005
Carrollton Courthouse Square Historic District is a historic district encompassing the courthouse square and surrounding commercial district in Carrollton, Greene County, Illinois. The district is centered on the Greene County Courthouse, a limestone Romanesque Revival building built in 1891-92. The courthouse occupies an entire city block at the center of the district. The twelve quarter blocks surrounding the courthouse comprise Carrollton's only business district. Development in the area began in 1821, when the first courthouse was built; at the time, the square was surrounded by new houses. The only house remaining from this period is the Hodges House, which was built in 1829 and is now a historical museum. The square assumed its commercial character between 1830 and 1855, when several brick stores were constructed. After 1855, the square gained several two- and three-story commercial buildings, which form the predominant type in the district. In addition to the commercial buildings, Carrollton's public library and post office are also located on the square.
The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 1, 1985
The James John Eldred House is a historic house located in Bluffdale Township near Eldred, Illinois. The house was built in 1861 by James J. Eldred, who lived in the home with his family until 1901. The house was designed in the Greek Revival style and also includes features of the Italianate style. The front of the house has five symmetrical bays and a front porch. The main entry, located in the porch, is bordered by sidelights and a transom. The house's cornice features Greek Revival dentils and pediments and Italianate bracketing. Palladian windows are located on the house's east and west sides. Many of the interior details of the house are original, including its fireplace mantels and much of its woodwork.
The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1999
The Greene County Almshouse is a historic poorhouse located in Greene County, Illinois, along a township road northeast of the city of Carrollton. The almshouse was built in 1870 in accordance with an 1839 state law which provided for each county to establish its own almshouse or poor farm for welfare recipients. Prior to passage of the law, public welfare in Illinois had taken the form of "outdoor relief", in which the poor worked on farms in exchange for basic support. Under Illinois' county almshouse system, the poor were intended to receive shelter and necessities in the houses, often in exchange for farm labor on the property. By 1903, all but two of Illinois' counties had established an almshouse or poor farm.
Greene County established its first poor farm in 1842. The county saw a need for a larger facility in 1869, and it built the present Italianate almshouse building the following year. The new almshouse held roughly thirty residents at any given time; its population included local paupers, vagrants, the physically and mentally disabled, orphans, and the elderly. Residents at the almshouse worked on grain and livestock farms, vegetable gardens and, in later years, fruit orchards on the property. According to the State Board of Public Charities, the residents of the almshouse experienced "excellent" living conditions, in contrast to many of the state's other county poorhouses.
In the 20th century, the almshouse gradually became a home for the elderly rather than a general poorhouse. By 1910, the majority of the almshouse's residents were over 60 years old, and the proportion increased to 90% by 1928. The almshouse consequently shifted its mission to serve its newly specialized population. In 1932, Illinois formally shifted to a statewide direct welfare program which largely removed the need for the county almshouse program.
The almshouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1991
The Hodges House is a historic house located at 532 N. Main St. in Carrollton, Illinois. The house was built circa 1825 and remodeled in the Federal style in 1829. Lawyer Charles D. Hodges purchased the house in 1850; soon afterward, he expanded the house and added Italianate features, such as the paired brackets along the roof line. Hodges served as a Greene County judge from 1853 until 1859, when he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives to replace the deceased Thomas L. Harris. Hodges returned to his law practice when Harris' term ended later in 1859; he later served as a circuit judge and a state senator.
The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 3, 1980.
The Greene County Historical and Genealogical Society currently uses the house as a local history museum known as the Lee-Baker-Hodges House
The Hotel Roodhouse is a historic hotel located at 303 Morse St. in Roodhouse, Illinois. John Roodhouse, the founder of the city, opened the hotel in 1895. The hotel is a two-and-a-half story building with Queen Anne and Romanesque influences. It was one of several hotels in Roodhouse which served travelers on the Chicago and Alton Railroad and the last such hotel to stand, before collapsing. The Hotel Roodhouse's amenities included a dining room, smoking rooms, lounges, and a showroom for traveling salesmen. During the Great Depression, the hotel also hosted a local soup kitchen.
The hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1995
The Koster Site is a prehistoric archaeological site located south of Eldred, Illinois. The site includes eleven settlements dating from 5100 B.C. to 1000 A.D. Nine of the settlements were occupied during the Archaic period, while the other two were inhabited during the Woodland period. The soil strata containing the settlement remains are separated by additional layers of soil, making the site exceptionally well-preserved.
The site includes one of the oldest known cemetery sites in eastern North America. The cemetery site has provided researchers with evidence that Early Archaic civilizations had specific burial practices and buried their dead in cemeteries. Other significant discoveries made at the site include early evidence of North Americans using stones to grind food and keeping domesticated dogs. The discovery of permanent residences and items which could not be easily transported at the site suggests that it was a large permanent village; at the time of its discovery. Excavations at the site have also yielded a variety of stone tools, which were used for various purposes and also indicate long-term habitation of the site.
Before excavations began at the site, Theodore and Mary Koster used the property as a farm. Archaeologists from the Center for American Archeology and Northwestern University first investigated the property in 1969; their work at the site continued through the late 1970s. The excavation became one of the largest of its era and drew over 10,000 yearly visitors; it is considered to be the Center for American Archeology's most important discovery. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1972
The Mound House is an archeological site located in Greene County, Illinois in the Illinois River floodplain. The site is a multicomponent site; however, the mounds were constructed during the Middle Woodland and are associated with the Havana Hopewell culture. The mound center has two identified mounds.
The site received its name because the previous landowner, a farmer, built a house on Mound 1, the largest mound. Since then the house has been removed and the land is owned by the Center for American Archeology.
The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 1, 1978
The Henry T. Rainey Farm is a historic farm located on the north side of Illinois Route 108 in Greene County, Illinois, east of Carrollton. The main farmhouse, known as Walnut Hall, was built in 1868-70 by settler Luman Curtius. The red brick house features Greek Revival and Italianate influences. Politician Henry Thomas Rainey bought the farm in 1909. Rainey served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1903 to 1921, and again from 1923 to his death in 1934; during his last two years in office, he was Speaker of the House. As Speaker of the House, Rainey presided over the passage of New Deal legislation during President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Hundred Days; as a representative, he promoted causes such as environmental conservation and agricultural aid programs.
The farm was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 12, 1987
The Virginia Tillery Round Barn is a round barn located on County Route 738 west of White Hall in Greene County, Illinois. The barn was built in the fall of 1912 for farmer Harry C. Price. With a 36 feet 6 inches (11.13 m) diameter, the barn is relatively small for an Illinois round barn; the median diameter of Illinois round barns was 60 feet (18 m). Its size suggests that it served as a general-purpose barn, not a dairy barn like the state's larger round barns. Brown tile blocks were used to build the barn, which is topped by a wood shingle roof with a cupola.
The barn was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 6, 1982
The White Hall Foundry is a historic iron foundry located at 102 S. Jacksonville St. in White Hall, Illinois. The foundry was built in 1877 for brothers George W. and Richard B. Winn. It produced cast iron for new buildings in White Hall, making it an important part of the city's economy during a building boom in the late 19th century. The building is a small brick structure with particularly well-crafted details for an industrial building, such as its cornice and fanlights. The internal truss system supporting the building's roof is an example of an inverted Kingpost truss; it is one of the few well-preserved examples of such a truss in Illinois.
The foundry was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1980. It is also part of the White Hall Historic District, which is also listed on the National Register
The White Hall Historic District is a 11-acre (4.5 ha) historic district in White Hall, Illinois. The district, which includes two blocks of Main Street and roughly one block of Jacksonville Avenue, encompasses White Hall's historic commercial district. Most buildings in the district are brick structures built in the 1870s, White Hall's main period of commercial development; however, some date from the early 20th century as well. Some of the early buildings in the district include the White Hall Foundry, which produced cast iron pieces for several other buildings; the Grange Block and the White Hall National Bank, two bank buildings with complementary styling; the Dawdy Building, the only surviving wood-frame structure in the district; and several Italianate buildings, such as the Union Hall, the Masonic Hall, and the Brantzel's Building. Significant 20th-century additions to the district include Whiteside Park, home to a sculpture created by Lorado Taft; the White-Griswold Memorial Library, the city's public library; the Vitagraph Theater, which features a decorative terra cotta facade; and the Prairie School Chapin Building.
The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1987