Hamilton County, Illinois
Genealogy and History


United Baptist Church Of Antioch

HISTORY OF ANTIOCH

Written by Emogene F. Glass

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
Antioch Missionary Baptist Church

The United Baptist Church Of Antioch, located east of Macedonia, Illinois in Hamilton county was organized in June of 1842 with fifteen charter members. Elder Hosea Vise helped organize the church and was the first pastor. He served in that capacity at least four different times.

Antioch church joined the Franklin Association of United Baptists in September of 1842. On February 8, 1939 Antioch left the Franklin Association and was received into the fellowship of Fairfield Association. They later returned to Franklin Association in 1943. However in 1973 Antioch rejoined Fairfield Association and has remained there ever since.

A sunday school was organized in 1845 and for many years the sunday school superintendent was Lettie Vise, the wife of Elder Hosea Vise.

It is not known when Antioch built their first church. It has been said that it was constructed out of logs and was located just south of the present church building.

Antioch was one of the largest and most flourishing churches in Franklin Association with a membership of 204 in 1876. The year with the largest membership was in 1904 when there were 213 members on the church roll.

The present church building was built in 1901 at a cost of $1,089.06 and by November of 1903 this building was debt free. This new house of worship was dedicated on the second Sunday in May of 1902. There was an overflowing crowd of people who came from miles around to see this country church dedicated to god’s glory.

In July of 1940 the first vacation bible school was held, and it lasted for two weeks. About forty pupils were enrolled in vbs that year.

In 1950 the gas powered lights were replaced with modern electric lights. Through the years other improvements were made such as adding central heating and air conditioning and obtaining running water from Rend Lake. In 1971 class rooms and a basement under the class rooms were built onto the back of the existing church building at a cost of $7,152.76.

Antioch church celebrated its 150th anniversary in September of 1992.
Former pastors and members came back to join in this joyous occasion.

The ministers who preached the longest were Elder Hosea Vise who preached approximately three decades, and Elder Carroll Phillips, who preached almost seventeen years.

Antioch church view 2

On July 6, 1993 renovation of the present building was started. This consisted of new siding, guttering, roofing, and on the front of the church a foyer was added that leads into the sanctuary and to the newly constructed basement. A new white fiberglass steeple was placed on top of the church and lettering on front of the building identifies it as “Antioch Missionary Baptist church”.

Rev Scott Webb is our present pastor. He has been with us since may of 2001 and was ordained April 14, 2002. During this time many people have made a profession of faith in God, and over thirty of those have joined our church by being baptized.

Regular services begin with sunday school at 9:30am and sunday worship at 10:30 am and 6:00 pm. Wednesday evening services brgin at 6:30 pm. You are invited to come worship with us.



Information from the Franklin Baptist Association Annuals
1842 - 1895


Antioch Baptist Church
Hamilton County, Illinois

1842 - T.J. Hanks, a licensed minster but not ordained, was shown as a messenger to the association, 16 members
1845 - H. Vise shown as messenger from the church and as an ordained minister (Elder H. Vise preached at the 1846 meeting) 22 members.

1846 - Hosea Vise, Messenger. 32 Members
1847 - Hosea Vise, Messenger. 29 Members
1848 - 1853 Hosea Vise, Listed As Pastor 128 Members In 1853
1854 - 1855 W. P. Sneed, Pastor. 108 Members In 1855
1856 - James Sneed, Pastor. 72 Members.
1857 - J. M. Sneed, Pastor 85 Members.
1858 - 1859 W.P. Sneed, Pastor 86 Members In 1859
1860 - 1861 J. M. Sneed, Pastor 61 Members
1862 - Missing
1863 - H. Waller, Pastor. 67 Members
1864 - James Sneed, Pastor . 91 Members
1865 - H. Waller, Pastor. 91 Members
1866 - S.M. Page, Pastor. 83 Members
1867 - 1868 Hosea Vise, Pastor 139 Member In 1868
1869 - W.P. Sneed, Pastor. 145 Members
1870 - Hosea Vise, Pastor. 134 Members
1871 - John Washburn, Pastor 130 Members
1872 - 1876 Hosea Vise, Pastor. 135 Members In 1872, 204 In 1876, 175 In 1878, 202 In 1882, 180 In 1886.
1887 - M.J. Jones Pastor 177 Members
1888 - 1891 Missing
1892 - 1895 R.W.Lee, Pastor (1893 Missing) 146 Members In 1886


Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
List Of Pastors Who Preached From 1892 To Present

R.W. Lee -- 1892 To Aug. 1904
K.W. Ingram -- Sept. 1904 To Aug. 1909
R.W. Lee -- Sept. 1909 T0 Aug. 1911
John Maulding -- Sept. 1911 To Aug. 1915
Ola Allen -- Sept. 1915 To Aug. 1918
S.T. Richardson -- Sept. 1918 To Aug. 1919
J.B. Hall -- Sept. 1919 To Oct. 1921
B.E. Page -- Nov. 1921 To Aug. 1922
Ola Allen -- Sept. 1922 To Aug 1923
B.E. Page -- Sept. 1923 To Aug. 1926
H.A. Myers -- Sept. 1926 To Aug. 1929
P. H .Harris -- Sept. 1929 To Aug. 1931
J. T. Combs -- Apr. 1932 To Aug. 1932
J .B. Maulding -- Oct. 1932 To Aug 1936
Harvey Kimmel -- Nov. 1936 To Aug. 1938
H. A. Myers -- Sept 1938 To Oct. 1938
P. D. Little -- Nov. 1938 To Aug. 1940
G. E. Walden -- Sept. 1940 To Aug. 1942
B. E. Page -- Nov. 1942 To Aug. 1944
Alva Daily -- Sept. 1944 To Aug. 1945
Austin Fisher -- Sept. 1945 To Aug. 1948
James Davis -- Nov. 1948 To Jul. 1949
Asa Williams -- Oct. 1949 To Jul. 1951
Arthur Boyer -- Aug. 1951 To Aug. 1952
Claude Francis -- Sept. 1952 To Dec. 1952
Lester Richardson -- Jan. 1953 To Aug. 1953
Howard Walters -- Sept. 1953 To Dec. 1955
Carrol Phillips -- Jan. 1956 To Sept. 1957
Arthur Boyer -- Sept. 1957 To Mar. 1958
William Sanders -- June. 1958 To Aug. 1960
Carrol Phillips -- Aug. 1960 To Sept. 1967
Luther Upton -- Nov. 1967 To Sept. 1969
Earl Harris -- Oct. 1969 To Aug. 1970
Kenneth Holland -- Sept. 1970 To Nov. 1971
Harold Clark -- Feb. 1972 To Jul. 1974
Carrol Phillips -- Jul. 1974 To Aug. 1982
Jesse Campbell -- Dec. 1982 To Jul. 1983
Robert Walker -- Aug. 1983 To Sept. 1985
Leslie Hall -- Nov. 1985 To Feb. 1987
Robert Walker -- Mar. 1987 To Jul. 1989
Roy Culpepper -- Aug. 1989 To Mar. 1990
William “Bill” Hampton Oct. 1990 To Jun. 1992
Bryan Austin -- Aug. 1992 To May. 1995
John Roosevelt Lee Jr -- Jul. 1995 To Sept. 1997
Gary Hall Jun. -- 1998 To Sept. 2000
Scott Webb -- May 2001 To Present



BACK -- HOME

Visit our National Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails