Dahlgren Baptist Church was organized in 1844 by Elder T. M. Vance. It was known as the United Baptist Church
of Little Prairie, and was originally located 1.5 miles east of the town. The members held services in their homes
for a number of years.
The first written church records date back to December 10, 1853, when Thomas and Elizabeth Belt issued a warranty
deed for an acre of land to Young S. Lowery, James McKnight and Abel Kuykendall, trustees of the United Baptist
Church of Little Prairie.
Working together, the church trustees and the directors of the Little Prairie school district built a log building
on that tract of land. It was located about two miles east of where the church is currently located.
Both Missionary Baptists and Primitive Baptists attended the church.
The L&N Railroad was built through this section of the country in 1871-1872 and the original village of Dahlgren
was surveyed March 9, 1872.
After the village of Dahlgren came into existence, the church location was moved. On May 16, 1874, Kuykendal
and his wife Nancy issued a warranty deed to the church trustees for lot 13 in Kuykendall’s addition in Dahlgren.
This was located on the north side of the railroad tracks.
The size of the lot was 360 feet by 149 feet, and a frame church was erected there and dedicated in 1875.
The fairfield association meeting was held there the following year, 1876.
In 1878, the Primitive Baptist members withdrew and formed their own church, the Lowry Hill Primitive Baptist Church.
From that time on, the United Baptist Church of Little Prairie was called the Dahlgren Missionary Church.
In 1915 the church built a brick building at the current location.
In 1968 the church built a parsonage, a baptistery and additional educational rooms were added in 1978.
The most important part of Dahlgren Baptist Church history is the many souls that have been saved and the lives
that have been touched by the Lord by his ministry through this congregation.