Welcome
        to Illinois Genealogy Trails

Biographies of Hancock County, Illinois




CHARLES ALLRED
CHARLES ALLRED- was born in Hancock County Illinois, July 14, 1865. He is a son of Enoch Allred, an early pioneer of the county, coming to Adair County Missouri from Monroe County, in 1840. Mr. Allred was born in Illinois where his father had gone during the Civil War. In 1866 they returned to Adair County where Charles has since lived. He is a barber by profession and has a fine shop in the National Bank Building. He has been a barber for almost twenty-eight years. Mr. Allred was married to Nellie Spry, a daughter of John and Molly Spry, September 16, 1887. They have three children: Lola M., born May 04, 1888; John L, October 04, 1892; Russell, December 17, 1895.
* Signifies that the spelling is exactly how it was in the original source.
[Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri, by E.M. Violette (1911) - JR - Sub by FoFG]


J. C. BELL
At the time of the writing Mr. Bell was one of the leading business men of Erie, though intervening fortunes of time have made some changes with him which will be noted later on. He was born in Hancock county, Illinois, in September, 1861, from whence he was taken by his parents to Missouri in 1866, upon the return of his father from the civil war, in which the latter served until the last arms of the Confederacy had been surrendered. Here the whole family of father, mother and ten children began on a farm to rebuild lost fortunes of a devastating war. Notwithstanding the number of children, they were kept in school during the three and four short months of the public school in each year during early childhood.

At the age of sixteen the subject of this article, at the unanimous request of the school board of the country district of which he had been attending the winter term, accepted the spring term, and then began what proved a successful career in pedagogy, though he never afterward attended school. At the close of this term he laid down the profession for a term of years and accepted a position in a hardware and boot and shoe store. A year later he resigned this position to accept the editorship of a republican paper during a political campaign in a locality where the opposition had cast practically the entire vote. At the close of the campaign he again took up the work as clerk in the store where he left off and where he remained until he reached his majority.

At the age of twenty-one Mr. Bell cast his lot in Kansas, and accepted the management of a store in Erie for his brother, H. B. Bell, who at the time was in Walnut, Kansas, where he was doing an extensive business. After controlling the Erie branch store long enough to become convinced that it was a good business opportunity, he, with S. E. Bell and I. A. Mills, purchased the stock and continued the business for a term, after which they sold out and dissolved partnership.

December 21, 1884, Mr. Bell was married to Miss Lucy Green, daughter of Mr. J. M. Green, at that time the leading furniture dealer of Erie. In the early spring of 1885 they moved to Knox county, Missouri, and engaged in farming, and after two years hard toil, in which they gained nothing but a bitter experience, they again moved to Kansas. In order to regain the losses incurred by the above venture, both Mr. and Mrs. Bell began teaching school at Stark where they were the only teachers, being the first teachers in the new school building there. This they continued for four successive terms, Mr. Bell, during his vacation, traveling in the interest of the Warder, Bushnell & Glessner Co., of Chicago, Illinois. In the fall of 1893 Mr. Bell accepted a position in a hardware store at Chanute, where he remained for two years. In December, 1895, he again entered the hardware business, this time at Galesburg, Kansas. In the early part of 1897 he sold a half interest in the business to G. M. Coffman, then a wealthy farmer of the Galesburg vicinity, now president of the Allen State Bank of Erie. During their business career they enjoyed a large and lucrative business, but in the fall of the same year there were such changes in Erie as to leave only one hardware and implement store there and, believing it to be a much better field, the firm moved their entire stock to that point, where the business they at once commanded fully demonstrated the wisdom of the change. In July, 1899, Mr. Coffman retired from the business, transfering [sic] his interest to F. N. Brelsford, and the new firm continued until July, 1901, when Mr. Bell retired, selling his interest to L. R. Kyle. From this date on our subject has been out of Kansas. August 1, 1901, he went to Anadarko, Oklahoma, to be present at the public sale of town lots by the United States government, having just prior to this time gone to the markets and shipped three cars of hardware to that point in order to be on the ground when Uncle Sam formally opened the new county. Notwithstanding the eagerness with which so many snapped up the lots when first thrown on the market and the fact that his goods were in the cars waiting to be unloaded, he patiently waited until the lots where he thought the business center would locate were reached, and then paid one of the highest prices for a lot. Time showed that he located right. While waiting for this lot he unloaded goods daily and sold right in the improvised streets, where the innumerable teams had trampled soil into dust from four to six inches deep. Now, however, he went to work with a will and a large force of men, and soon had a store building one hundred feet long completed into which he moved the largest stock of hardware in the new city. Although possessing a very large trade, he became dissatisfied with the country and climate and February 20, 1902, sold his building, agreeing to give possession in thirty days, which he did, notwithstanding the volume of goods he had to dispose of. We next find him in Los Angeles, California, where he, with his family, arrived April 18, 1902.

After casting about and prospecting for a business opportunity, on May 6th he entered the real estate and loan business and although they have been in the business but a few months, Bell & Mangrum, 138 South Broadway, are recognized as one of the firms that move real estate.

To Mr. and Mrs. Bell have been born three children Paul, Ruth and Lucile, (in order of their age) who are now 17 to 9 years, and at home attending school. The entire family are workers and members of the M. E. church. Politically Mr. Bell is a firm believer in the principles of Republicanism. He has always taken the interest in politics that he thinks every good citizen should and has always labored to have good clean men to fill the offices, and manage public affairs. He has always been for public improvements and never has there been a valuable enterprise promoted in his locality to which he has not given substantial aid. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]


 MALCOM ANDREWS BLISS
BLISS, Malcolm Andrews, physician; born Warsaw, ILL., July 2, 1863; son of Neziah Wright and Amanda Jessie (Andrews) Bliss; removed with parents, 1867, to Kingston Fur­nace, Washington Co., Mo., where father was superintendent of mining company; attended public schools two years, studied three years under private tutor, attended Warsaw High School, 1878-79; graduated from Missouri Dental College, D.D.S.; 1884, Chicago Medical College, M.D.. 1890; married, Farmington, Mo., Apr. 29, 1891, Clemmie Chilton Carter; children: William Carter, Wyllys King, Helen Bliss. Engaged in farming and stock raising at Kingston Furnace, Mo., from age of 12 to 16; taught district school in Washington Co., Missouri, winter of 1880-81; went to Chicago. April, 1882; bookkeeper Marshall Field & Co.. dry goods, during summer; attended Missouri Dental College, and after graduation was as­sistant to Dr. Eames, winter of 1885, and to Dr. W. X. Morrison, spring, 1886, in St. Louis; located in practice of dentistry at Farmington, Mo., 1885-88; after medical graduation practiced at Bonne Terre, Mo., 1890-92; in practice at St. Louis since Sept. 25, 1902. Member St. Louis Medical Society, St. Louis Neurological Society. American Neurological Association. Specialist in nervous diseases; instructor in psychiatry, Washington University; neurologist St. Louis Mullanphy Hospital. Republican. Episcopalian. Recreation: mechanics. Office: Humboldt Bldg. Residence: 4929 Lotus Ave.
(Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)



EUGENE BURKS
BURKS, Eugene, real estate; born in Hancock Co., ILL., Nov. 25, 1867; son of Allen J. and Mary S. (Wagner) Burks; educated in public schools of Missouri, and at Stanberry (Mo.) Normal School; married, Bismarck, Mo., Nov. 20, 1894, Eddie M. Wallen; children: Lelia Fern, Eugenia Irene. Began business career as clerk for Willard Case & Co. in 1894; began the manufacture of hardwood lumber in Arkansas, near Little Rock, and in 1900 became one of the incorporators of the Willard Case Lumber Co., of which was vice president and secretary until 1909; since in real estate business. Democrat. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Office: 706 Chestnut St. Residence: Webster Groves, Mo.
(Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Rev. J. R. CHAMBERS
The American ancestors of Joel Ridings Chambers were, as far as is known, Southerners throughout, the old family seat being Wake and Richland counties, North Carolina. His paternal grandfather, John Chambers, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, shared the fortunes of the Continental army in the field and on the march during all those years when the liberties of the Colonists hung in the balance; it having come down in the traditions of the family that he was present at Monmouth where such was the suffering even for water that $5.00 was offered for a single cupfull. Two uncles of our subject, Green B. and Henry Chambers, took part in the second war with Great Britain and were with General Jackson at the battle of New Orleans. Still other members of the family volunteered for service in the Indian wars of the country and one, Gen. Thomas J. Chambers, rendered conspicuous service in the war for the independence of Texas, Chambers county, Texas, being named for him in recognition of this service. From Wake and Richland counties, North Carolina, the grandfathers of our subject, John Chambers and Joel Ridings, migrated with their families and settled near Nashville, Tennessee, and which was, at that time, the outpost of civilization for that section of the country. Wilson Chambers, the father of Joel R., and Elizabeth Ridings, his wife, were born in North Carolina and were mere children at the time of their families' removal to Tennessee. They grew up on the then frontier of middle Tennessee, were married and lived there and in West Tennessee - mainly in Carroll county - for some years, moving in 1844 to Hancock county, Illinois, where they were early settlers and where they passed their mature and later lives. They both died on the homestead which they settled in that county and on which they had lived for nearly half a century, the father dying in 1886 at the age of eighty-two and the mother in 1891 at the age of ninety years.  Wilson and Elizabeth Chambers had one of those large, old-fashioned families of children - nine in number - all of whom grew up and seven of whom are yet living, Joel R. of this article being the youngest of the number.   He was born in Carroll county, Tennessee, February, 4, 1843, and was reared in Hancock county, Illinois, whither his parents moved the following year. His early educational advantages were of the ordinary kind and he availed himself of them much as the average youth does. Later, however, he developed a studious turn and neutralized the defects of his earlier training by private study. He entered the Union army as a member of Company A, Eighty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry and was with General Thomas army and took part in that series of fierce engagements known as the Atlanta and the Nashville campaigns where the Confederate forces with the courage born of desperation, contested every inch of ground, leaving the flower of their youth along with many of the boys in blue on the battlefields of Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, New Hope Church, Rocky Face Ridge, Altoona, Kennesaw, Jonesboro, Franklin and Nashville. Mr. Chambers was slightly wounded at Pickett's Mill in May, 1864, but remained with his regiment and was discharged at Cairo, Illinois, July 26, 1865.
Returning home he married November 13, 1866, Hattie C. Rowland, a daughter of John P. and Sarah (McComas) Rowland, then of Hancock county, Illinois. Mrs. Chambers is a native of Dearborn county, Indiana, where she was born January 29, 1846. Taking up farming pursuits Mr. Chambers resided in Hancock county, Illinois, till 1868, when he came to Kansas and lived about two years in Linn county. He then made his final move, locating in Pleasant Valley township, Wilson county, April 8, 1870. He took a claim there at that time, moving onto the prairie and living two weeks in a tent until he could put up a shanty, 12 x 14 feet, which housed him and his family for three years, or till he became able to erect a better building. For twenty-one years Mr. Chambers lived on his farm and went through all the experiences that fell to the lot of the early settlers. His faith as well as his physical endurance was often sorely tried, but sustained by the belief that there was a future for this country - as well as his confidence in the universality of the law of compensation - he stood resolutely by the home of his adoption and labored with as much zeal as though the full fruition of his hopes were daily to be realized, as in fact they were, in a measure.
During the winter months Mr. Chambers taught school for five years after settling in the county and about the same time he took up the work of the ministry, preaching at first in the school house where he taught to congregations made up largely of his scholars and their parents. Extending the sphere of his activities, he preached to the people of nearby communities and continued in this way as an itinerant until he covered most of the territory of Anderson, Allen, Neosho, Wilson, Woodson and Montgomery counties. He was ordained August 18, 1878, by Bishop M. Wright of the United Brethren church and has filled pulpits all over Southeast Kansas. He has been active and influential in the conference work of the denomination and is now serving his seventh year as Presiding Elder of the Neosho conference, and his twentieth year as its secretary. He has represented the conference as a delegate in general conference at Fostoria, Ohio, York, Pennsylvania, Dayton, Ohio, and Frederick City, Maryland. During the past twenty years he has preached on an average of one hundred and eighty sermons annually beside attending to the numerous other duties which belong to the local pastorate and to the work of the church in the capacities before mentioned. For four years past he has resided at Earlton. The physical and mental energy  consumed in these labors has been very great and only a splendid physique reinforced by a resolute purpose to make the most of one's natural endowments could have stood the strain.
To Mr. Chambers and his wife have been born a family of three sons and one daughter, all but the youngest of whom are grown, married and settled to themselves. The oldest, Harry L., is a practicing physician at Lecompton, Kansas; Sarah E., wife of J. W. Starr, resides on a farm near Edmunds, Oklahoma; Oliver W., occupies the old homestead in Pleasant Valley township, and Ralph R. yet remains with his parents.   In politics Mr. Chambers has been a lifelong Republican, casting his first vote for Mr. Lincoln for president in 1864 and for every Republican nominee for that office since, as well as for the nominees on state and county tickets. He is a man of conviction and believes in effective organization in matters pertaining both to church and state. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]



WILBER E. CRANE
CRANE, Wilber Edgar, railway official; born, Warsaw, Hancock Co., ILL., Apr. 13, 1865; son of Calvin Church and Sarah (Chambers) Crane; educated public schools, Warsaw; married, New York City, Mar. 5, 1908, Estelle P. Barnwell, of Los Angeles, Cal.; one daughter: Jocelyn. Began in railway service as telegraph operator, Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Ry., at Warsaw, ILL., 1883; operator Toledo, Peoria & Western Ry., at Hamilton, ILL., 1884-85, and operator same road, at Warsaw, ILL., 1885-88; in charge local freight office same road, at Peoria, ILL., 1888-89; cashier local freight office at Peoria, of Jacksonville Southeastern Line, 18S9-91; chief clerk general freight department same road, at Jacksonville, ILL., 1891-94; chief clerk Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Ry., Jan. 1-Nov. 15, 1894; general freight agent Jacksonville, Louisville & St. Louis Ry. (now Jacksonville & St. Louis Ry.), 1894-1902, and general manager same road, 1902-04; coal traffic manager Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway System, April to Dec. 15, 1904; general manager Ft. Smith & Western R. R., Dec. 15, 1904-05; vice president and general manager, 1905-08, and since 1908 vice president same road; also vice president St. Louis. El Reno & Western R. R.; president Illinois Steel Bridge Co., Walton & Co., Walton Stone Co.; receiver Sans Bois Coal Co., director Title Guaranty Trust Co. and American Trust Co., of St. Louis. Member Business Men's League. Democrat. Methodist. Mason (32°), Knight Templar, Shriner. Club: Bellerive Country. Recreation: golf. Office: 704 Title Guaranty Bldg. Residence: Hampton Park, St. Louis Co.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


ALEXANDER DONALD
DONALD Alexander, St Paul (MN). Res 821 Fairmont av, office Endicott Arcade. Physician. Born March 17, 1848 in Hamilton Ill, son of William and Ann (Wright) Donald. Attended public schools in Hamilton and Normal from 1865-67. M D degree from Hahnemann Medical College Chicago 1878. Taught school and was life ins agt before beginning the practice of medicine; practiced first in Chicago and in Stillwater 1880-87; has been engaged in practice of medicine in St Paul 1887 to date.
["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.1907, Transcribed by Kim Mohler]



JOHN D DUFF, M.D.-- son of Joshua and Louisa (*Carthright) Duff, was born April 16, 1857, in Hancock County, Illinois. On December 15, 1878 he was married to Rosaltha Asher, daughter of Abraham and Harriett Asher. They had five children, four of whom are living Rosaltha Florence, born February 01, 1880, now Mrs. Edward L Davis; Harry S, December 02, 1882, died March 16, 1905; Beeche Grace, November 02, 1884, now Mrs. Guy T Rouner; Maurice C, November 04, 1886; Edna Pearl, October 04, 1888, now Mrs. Victor P Kinnard. Mr. Duff remained on the farm in Illinois, where he was born and reared, til grown. He attended the public schools and took a course in the Carthage College, then attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, graduating in 1887. He then practiced eight years in Kansas. After taking a course at the *---------- Medical School, where he graduated in 1890, he came to Knox County {Mo} and practiced fourteen years. From there he went to La Plata for two years, then to Gibbs, where he has been since 1904. He has conducted a drug store at Gibbs the past three years. He built a handsome building in 1910. He is a member of the K. of P., M.W.A. and Yeomen Lodges. [Source Info: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) ; * Signifies that the spelling or wording is put here, exactly as from source. - DR - Sub by FoFG]

JOHN DURBIN
Source: The Islander, Harbor, Wash. Sep 24, 1896 - transcribed by J.S.
IS OVER A HUNDRED
John Durbin, of Marion County, Oregon is 102.
Born before Washington Died.
He Has Lived a Life Full of Adventure-Has Five Children Living, the Youngest Over Sixty.

Salem, Or., Sept 15.-Marion county claims the oldest living pioneer in Oregon. His name is John Durbin, and he was 102 years old Sunday.
John Durbin was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, September 15, 1794. His birth antedates the death of George Washington five years. He did service as lieutenant in the war of 1812, and lived through the Mexican and civil wars. H knows what Indian warfare is from having lived among them, and has survived all.  In 1800, Mr. Durbin moved from his native state to Richard county, Ohio, where in 1820, he was married to Sarah Fitting. Of this union were born ten children, five of whom are living. The family moved to Hancock county, Illinois in 1842; thence to Clayton county, Missouri, in the same year. In the spring of 1845, the family, with a body of emigrants, set out for Oregon, arriving in the fall of 1845. Mr. Durbin settled in Marion county, and it has since been his home. He has lived an active life, giving most of his time to farming and stockraising. In the '50s it was his custom to drive bands of cattle into the Rogue river valley to graze off of nature's rich pastures. He had a large bank in the valley at the time of the threatened outbreak of the Rogue River Indians. It was Mr. Durbin's good fortune to get along peaceably with the Indians, even when they were hostile towards the government settlers. He treated with the Rogue River Indians at the start by promising them two head of fat cattle a year for the privilege of pasturage, and he always lived up to the treaty.  An accident occurred while he was looking after his cattle in the Rogue river valley, to which Mr. Durbin attributes his total abstinence from tobacco since. He had stopped on the mountainside to light his pipe, when he heard the snap of an Indian's gun only a few rods away. "The thought came to me," he afterwards said, "that that pipe might be the cause of my death, so I threw it away, and haven't used tobacco since."

Mr. Durbin makes his home with his son Isaac, who lives on Howell prairie, nine miles form Salem. It was the intention of this children and grandchildren to have a reunion and invite all pioneers of '45 in the state to be present to celebrate their father's 102d anniversary, but as the day drew nigh it was apparent the state of his health would not permit of the excitement attendant upon such an occasion. The frailty of age is apparent. The venerable pioneer has passed the usual limit of old age, and is living in his second childhood, and a younger generation will soon be called upon to honor his memory.

The living children of John Durbin are: Casper J., of Huntington, Or. aged 74; Mrs. Fannie A. Martin, four miles east of Salem, aged 71; Solomon Durbin, 8 1/2 miles, east of Salem, aged 67; Isaac, aged 64, nine miles northwest of Salem; Mrs. Mary J. Starkey, of Salem, aged 61.


THOMAS B. FILSON
The subject of this sketch was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, on the 17th day of December, 1844. His father was Leander Filson, a native of Kentucky, born in 1802, and his mother, before marriage, Elizabeth Burbridge, a native of Pennsylvania. Both father and mother were taken when young to Illinois where their parents were early settlers, Leander Filson, being a United Brethren minister, who preached and organized many churches of that faith in Southern and Central Illinois in pioneer days.

Thomas Filson was the fifth child and fourth son in a family of ten children born to his parents, there being three brothers and one sister older than himself. The brothers being James, Newton and Henry. James and Newton enlisted in the Ninety-eighth Illinois Infantry, the former dying in the hospital at St. Louis, and the latter of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Henry was drowned in the Mississippi river. Maggie was the fourth child, and then comes Thomas B., Morgan, Elizabeth, Mary, Hester and Leander. He was raised on a farm in Hancock county, Illinois, and received ordinary common school advantages. In 1863 he enlisted in Company B, One hundred and Thirty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry and served for six months on post duty. November 30, 1867, he married Susan M. Kimbrough, a native of Hancock county, Illinois, and a daughter of Thomas and Rebecca Kimbrough, and three years later (1870) moved to Kansas and settled in Howard county. After a residence of two year, he returned to Illinois and remained there two years when he came again to Kansas in the Spring of 1875 and settled in Big Creek township, Neosho county, which has since been his home. After making two changes of residence in Big Creek township, Mr. Filson bough eighty acres of land in section 9, township 27, range 19, where he took up his permanent abode and now lives, having been engaged in farming and stock raising and devoted his time and best energies to improving his place. He has a good small farm in a fair state of cultivation and is surrounded with a fair share of comforts, all of which have come to him in response to the earnest, faithful efforts he has put forth during the twenty-seven years of his ups and downs as a Neosho county farmer.

Mr. and Mrs. Filson have been born to them a family of three sons and one daughter. Henry N., born September 7, 1868, whose wife before marriage was Anna Maynard; Edward H., born February 25, 1871, whose wife before marriage was Anna Newton; Nettie M., born May 31, 1874, wife of M. M. Bool; nad [sic] Frank O., born November 5, 1878, died at the age of seventeen months. The three living reside on or near the old homestead.  In politics Mr. Filson is a republican. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]


FREDERICK L. FOY
Has spent all of his conscious life in Utah, coming here when but four years of age, and has seen the country develop and grow into its present thriving state, having himself a large share in the work of development. He comes of German ancestry, his grandfather having been born in Germany, and emigrated to this country in time to take part in the Revolutionary War. It was after one of the battles in which he took part that he met the woman who afterwards became his wife and the grandmother of our subject. He settled in Pennsylvania after the war, and it was there that the father of our subject, Thomas B. Foy, was born. He grew to manhood in Pennsylvania, and there joined the Mormon Church, coming West to Ohio and later to Missouri, from which State he moved into Illinois and lived for several years at Nauvoo. When the people were driven from that place he went with the main body to Winter Quarters, and remained there until 1850, when he crossed the plains to Utah and in the spring of 1851 took up his residence in Farmington, Davis county, where he ran a saw mill for Willard Richards. In the fall of 1852 he came to Weber County, locating in Bingham Fort, and lived there and in Ogden until the general move south in 1858, and after his return lived in Ogden up to 1860, at which time he brought his family to Slaterville and engaged in farming, becoming quite prominent among the men of his community, and assisting largely in the development work of the new country. He superintended the building of the Harrisville ditch and assisted in many other ways. In 1863 he was called to go on a colonization mission to help settle the southern part of the State, and took his family to Washington county, where he again engaged in farming, and remained up to the time of his death. The family are well known in Saint George and Southern Utah, a grandson, John Chidester, being Prosecuting Attorney for the Seventh Judicial District.
The Senior Mr. Foy was the husband of two wives and the father of sixteen children. He died in 1874, at the age of seventy-three years. The mother of our subject died in Minersville, in 1870, at the age of sixty-three years.
Our subject was born in Hancock county, Illinois, on October 3, 1846, and remained at home with his father until 1863, at which time he began life for himself, remaining in Slaterville, where he two years later bought thirty-six acres of land, which forms part of his present land, having since added until he now owns two hundred acres, all of which is under a good system of irrigation and excellent farming land. In 1890 he built his present handsome and commodious brick residence, which is the largest in the Ward, he himself doing all the carpenter work. Besides this farm he has nine hundred and sixty acres of fine grazing land in Warren Ward, where he constantly keeps over one hundred head of stock, both cattle and horses. He was one of the promoters of the Slaterville Creamery, which produces some of the finest butter in Utah. He also helped build the Slaterville and Northwest Slaterville ditches, being President of both companies. In 1890 he was elected County Selectman on the Liberal ticket, and after the division on party lines cast his lot with the Republican party, and served for six years under their rule as Treasurer of the School District. He is President of the Harrisville cheese factory and interested in the Ogden Sugar Company. Mr. Foy is without doubt one of the leaders of his county, and the most prominent man in his Ward his advice being often sought in important business transactions, and his judgment is never questioned. He is a man of his word and highly respected as a man of unimpeachable integrity and keen business foresight. His success has come through his own unaided efforts, and from the position of a poor young man, without means, he has risen to a position of prominence and importance, and is in the enjoyment of a good income and a comfortable home, surrounded by a happy and loving family.
The marriage of Mr. Foy occurred in 1863, when he was united to Miss Rachel Jane Slater, daughter of Richard and Annie (Corbridge) Slater. Five children have come to brighten the home, but two of them being alive at this time. Delilla died when four years of age; Frederick R. died in babyhood; Ida, the third child, and Ora L., the youngest, are both at home. The fourth child, Rachel, died in infancy.
Mrs. Foy was born in 1847, at Winter Quarters, or Florence, while her father was in the Mormon battalion. A sketch of her father appears with Bishop Slater's, in this work. She was the seventh child in the Slater family, and came to Utah at the age of five years; and, like her husband, has seen all the hardships and privations incident to a pioneer life, but now, in their declining years they are exceptionally favored in having not only a plentiful amount of this world's goods, but are proud of their two loving children, who have never given them a moment's anguish or grief. Ida is a favorite and a leader in all social doings in her ward; well educated, especially in music. The whole family is honored and respected by all who know them.
[Source: "Portrait, Genealogical and Biographical Record of the State of Utah"; Publ. 1902 By The National Historical Record Co., Chicago; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]



JOHN R. GALLOWAY.
John R. Galloway, a member of the mercantile firm of Galloway Brothers, of Norwood, San Miguel county, one of the largest and most successful establishments of its kind in this part of the state, was born in Hancock county, Illinois, on March 16, 1865, and is the son of the late Hon. James P. and Minerva C. (Wade) Galloway, the former a native of St. Louis, Missouri, and the latter of Hancock county, Illinois. The father was reared in Iowa, and after he grew to manhood engaged in business in Illinois and Missouri until 1873, when he moved with his family to Colorado, and turned his attention to raising stock on an expansive scale. Later he moved to Hinsdale county, and in 1883 came to Paradox valley, where he remained until his death, in February, 1897. He was one of the pioneer stock men in this part of the country, and one of the leaders of thought and action in public affairs, being always at the front of every good enterprise for the improvement of the county, and serving it people with fidelity and ability in the state senate for a time. His widow now resides at Pueblo. Their offspring number seven: L. Wood Galloway, the other member of the firm of Galloway Brothers; John R., the subject of this sketch; Gordon, a prominent stock man living one mile west of Norwood; Nino, the wife of Albert Neal, of Montrose; Jessie, the wife of A. Herendon, two miles from Norwood; and James P. and Eugene, residents of Norwood. John R. Galloway came with his parents and the rest of the family as it was then to Colorado in 1873, when he was eight years old. Here he grew to man's estate and received the greater part of his education. After leaving school he engaged in the stock industry until 1899, when he came to Norwood and, in partnership with his brother, L. Wood Galloway, started the business which they are now conducting. They have a fine two-story business block equipped with every modern device for the convenient and successful management of their business, and carry a large and varied stock of general merchandise which is selected with special reference to the needs of the community and kept up-to-date in every particular. It includes all kinds of farm machinery, along with other commodities, and the establishment is one of the leading ones in the county, laying under tribute to its trade a large extent of the surrounding country. Mr. Galloway is active and progressive in public affairs, and is now rendering the county excellent service as a member of the board of county commissioners. He is a valued and energetic member of the Masonic fraternity, the Odd Fellows and the order of the Elks. At Centralia, Illinois, on May 8, 1888, he married Miss Hettie Warren, a native of that place. They have four children, John W., Minerva, James B. and Enon. Accurate and successful in all the elements of his extensive business operations, elevated in the character of his citizenship, stern and unyielding in his integrity, and endowed with rare social qualities, Mr. Galloway is well worthy of the esteem in which he is held and the place he has won by his merit as one of the most prominent and representative men in the county.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Marilyn Clore)


BENJAMIN FRANKLIN GARR.
Benjamin Franklin Garr is now living retired at Ogden, making his home at No. 801 Washington avenue. In former years, however, he was most active in business affairs and he has been a resident of Utah from pioneer times, therefore witnessing practically all of the settlement, development and growth of the state. He was born in Hancock county, Illinois, May 21, 1843, a son of Fielding and Paulina (Turner) Garr. The father, a native of Virginia, was born August 19, 1794, and passed away June 15 1855, while the mother, who was born May 23, 1805, died in August 1844. Fielding Garr left Virginia when a youth of fifteen years in company with his parents, who removed at that time to Indiana and subsequently to Illinois. While living in the latter state he became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and on the 1st of May, 1847, started with his family for Utah. They traveled westward as far as the Elkhorn river, where the colonists met in camp to organize a company to cross the plains. The company with which the Garrs traveled was the third company of one hundred, with Amos Neff as captain of ten, Joseph B. Noble as captain of fifty and Jedediah M. Grant, captain of one hundred. They arrived in Salt Lake on the 2d of October of that year, having braved all the hardships, privations and dangers of frontier travel.
B. F. Garr of this review was but four years of age when the family home was established in Utah. After the death of his father he and his brothers removed to Cache county, Utah. At the time of the father's death they were living on what was called Salt Lake island, where they were engaged in the live stock business. In Cache valley they also gave their attention to live stock and to farming and there B. F. Garr remained until 1872, when he sold his interests in Cache county and removed to Ogden. In 1865 he had become active in freighting, which he followed from Corinne, Utah, to Montana, being active in business until 1879. In the later years of his life he has lived retired, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of his former toil.
On the 8th of February, 1868, Mr. Garr was married in Salt Lake City to Miss Eliza Melissa McGary, who was born at Estes Mills, Platte county, Missouri, May 29, 1848. a daughter of Charles and Charlotte (Earl) McGary. The father was born in Toronto. Canada, February 5, 1808, and passed away at Ogden, April 14, 1875. The mother was born in Toronto, February 20, 1816, and her last days were spent in Ogden, where she departed this life March 7, 1907. She was a daughter of William H. and Sarah C. Earl, the former a son of Henry and Bathsheba (Marsh) Earl, of Toronto, Canada. Charles McGary and his family came to Utah with the David Evans company, arriving on the 17th of September, 1850. He was one of the captains of ten of that company and located at Ogden, where he engaged in blacksmithing and also followed merchandising and farming.
To Mr. and Mrs. Garr were born thirteen children, of whom ten are yet living. The sons have made a splendid record in military service.
McGary Garr, born December 9, 1890, was married August 12, 1914, at Fort Shafter in Honolulu, Hawaii, by Chaplain William Ruse Scott of the Second Infantry, U. S. A. He enlisted in the regular army as a member of the Fifteenth Infantry at Salt Lake and went to China at the time of the Boxer rebellion. He afterward passed the examination in the Philippines and went to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, to attend military school for six months. Later he was sent to Honolulu, where he spent two years and was then called to the Mexican border, where he served as a member of the Sixth Cavalry. He was there for two years, after which he was sent to France, where he was in active service in Leggett's command. He was on the general staff and is the youngest man that ever held a position on the staff. In January, 1919, he was at the headquarters of the Fourth Army Corps and is now chief of staff of G. I. of the Fourth Army Corps with the Third Army of occupation at Cochem, with headquarters on the Moselle river in Germany. He is now holding the rank of lieut. colonel. He has likewise made a notable record as an athlete, especially as a high jumper and sprinter, and for his athletic work receives a salary of four thousand dollars per year.
Elbert Homer, born February 28, 1896, was with the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Field Artillery as a member of the regimental band and went to France in 1918. Returning with his company, he was mustered out at Logan.
Benjamin H., born July 8, 1892, was at Fort Grant, taking training in the officers' school. He belonged to the regular army and was at Honolulu two years and at Camp Grant when the armistice was signed. The military record of the sons is certainly one of which the parents may well be proud, and the Garr family are widely known as representatives of pioneer activity in the state and from the early days of Utah's development Mr. Garr of this review has been closely associated with events which have left their impress upon the history of Utah.
[Source: "Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical", Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


JOHN B. HILL.
John B. Hill, a carpenter of Wellsville, was born in Nauvoo, Illinois, March 17. 1846, a son of John and Margaret (Brice) Hill, who were natives of Scotland, the former born in Renfrewshire and the latter in Glasgow. They went to Illinois in 1842 as converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and settled at Nauvoo, where they resided until 1846, when they removed to Winterquarters, leaving Nauvoo at the time of the expulsion of the Mormons from that city. In 1850 they came to Utah, settling in Salt Lake City, where they remained until the spring of 1860. In the previous year Mr. Hill, in connection with his brother, Daniel Hill, built the first grist mill in the Cache valley at Wellsville. He was a cooper by trade and worked along that line, at the same time assisting in the flour mill. He was thus engaged until 1864, when he was accidentally killed while bear hunting. He had been a faithful follower of the church and was a member of the Seventy.
John B. Hill acquired his education in the schools of Salt Lake and of Wellsville and in early life learned and followed the carpenter's trade. He also engaged in freighting at an early day and passed through all of the hardships, privations and interesting experiences of pioneer times. In 1866 he made a trip with the Peter Nebeker train to the Missouri river for Mormon emigrants and again made the trip in 1868 with the Captain Chester Loveland train. In 1876 Mr. Hill was married to Miss Margery Kerr, a daughter of David and Agnes (Archibald) Kerr. They have become the parents of nine children, of whom seven are living.
Mr. Hill has served as justice of the peace and has been a member of the city council for one term. He has filled a mission in the temple at St. George and later was called to St. Johns, Arizona. He has likewise been president of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association of Wellsville and has done everything in his power to promote the material, intellectual, social and moral progress of the community in which he resides. He has now passed the seventy-third milestone on life's journey but still remains an active factor in the world's work and yet continues to follow the trade of carpentering.
(Source: "Utah since Statehood Historical and Biographical", by Noble Warrum, editor, Vol 1, Publ 1919. Transcribed by Wayne Cheeseman)

JOHN H. HOLTON
JOHN H HOLTON-- a son of Henry A and Rebecca Holton, was born at Plymouth Illinois December 31, 1854. He was married August 08, 1877, to Mary J Cavett, who is a daughter of Rufus and Rebecca Cavett. They have two children: Emma L, born April 14, 1880, now wife of Dr. Hugh E Penland, of *Berkely California; A. Scott, born September 25, 1889, of Kirksville {Mo}. Mr. Holton was born and reared on a farm in Illinois; but came to Kirksville in 1885. Two years later he went into the lumber business here, and now manages the Baxter Lumber Company Yards, near the O.K. Station. Mr. Holton takes a deep interest in lodge work, especially in the Masonic. He is High Priest of Caldwell Chapter, No. 53; Prelate in Ely Commandery, No 22; district deputy lecturer for second Masonic District of Missouri. He is a Republican.
[Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) - DR - Sub by FoFG. * Signifies that the spelling or wording is put here, exactly as from source.]

MARTHA ELLEN (WADE) HOWELL
Was born to Edward and Mary Haggard Wade on 8 December 1840 in Plymouth, Hancock Co., Illinois.   Her Wade family arrived in America on the Ship "Paule" in August 1635 from Gravesend, England.    She married David Howell at the age of 14 on 8 April 1855 and went by Steamship "George Law" to Panama and took the "mule-train" to Panama City.  They boarded the Golden Age Steamer and arrived in San Francisco on 1 June 1855.   At first they lived on Howell Mountain in Napa, California area then in 1856 moved to Calistoga and in 1860 to St. Helena, CA.   In 1873 they moved to San Luis Obispo taking the Coastal steamer to San Luis Harbor arriving on 18 October.    She had 12 children before David died on 8 December 1885.   She later moved to Shandon in eastern San Luis Obispo County and then to Arroyo Grande.
She was a Methodist Church member from 1854 to her death in 1931.   She died and was buried in the 100F Cemetery in San Luis Obispo on 14 May 1931 next to her late husband David Howell.   She is survived by 10 children, 42 grandchildren, 18 great grandchildren and 3 great great grandchildren.
(Source: Ancestry.com "Martha Ellen Wade Howell Biography", posted 21 August 2014; Transcribed as written by CBullis)



HON. JESSE KNIGHT
There is perhaps no name more closely associated with the history of Provo than the name of Jesse Knight; and no life has been more potent in promoting the welfare of that city than the active life of its greatest financier. His influence extends all over the state and into several other states, as well as to Canada. Mr. Knight is known in business circles as the president of the Knight Investment Company. The kind, personal feeling entertained for him is indicated in the fact that far and wide his friends know him as "Uncle" Jesse Knight. He is now approaching the seventy-fourth milestone on life's journey, having been born September 6. 1845, in Nauvoo, Illinois. His father, Newel Knight, was a pioneer settler of Nauvoo. and a son of Joseph Knight, the founder of the American branch of the family.
Newel Knight had charge of the first fifty teams to cross the Missouri river at the time of the great Mormon exodus, in the fall of 1846. His hope and that of his people was that somewhere in the far west they might find a home in which to worship God according to the dictates of their conscience, without interference. They expected to winter on the Platte river. Indians, however, reported that the grass was destroyed by fire in the direction they meant to go and invited them to go north one hundred and fifty miles to winter on the Indian reservation in Nebraska. This they did, but before the winter had spent its fury Newel Knight had found a resting place beneath its snow. He died January 11, 1847, leaving a widow with six small children. One boy was born in the following March.
Newel Knight was a man of forceful character, a devout Mormon and full of integrity. Jesse Knight's mother was Lydia Goldthwaite, and at the time of her marriage to Newel Knight she was a widow and he a widower with one son, Samuel. Their marriage took place November 23, 1835, at the home of Hyrum Smith and was the first marriage performed by the Prophet Joseph Smith. After the ceremony the sacrament was administered to the little gathering and for the first time water was used in place of wine in accordance with a revelation given to the prophet.
After the death of Newel on the Niobrara prairie, it was impossible for the family to continue their journey westward. So in the spring they returned to winter quarters. remaining there until 1850, when they made the journey to Salt Lake City. Lydia G. Knight was a woman of remarkable moral and intellectual force and exerted a widely felt influence for good and for cultural development throughout the community in which she lived. She died in St. George at the age of seventy years.
As a child Jesse Knight herded cows for neighbors on the hillsides about Salt Lake City. At the age of eleven years he took oxen and hauled winter's wood on shares. Sometimes bigger boys would offer to help him load his wagon, but he worked very hard in order that he would not need assistance. Thus did he manifest early in life his desire to be a lifter rather than a leaner. In 1857 with his mother and the rest of the family he removed to Provo. Again he herded cows and sheep, gleaned potatoes and worked on their own small farms. His early education was gained principally driving oxen, although he attended briefly a neighborhood school which his mother conducted in her own home. His youth was a period of earnest toil, in which he faced many hardships and difficulties. But it is a well known fact that under the pressure of adversity and the stimulus of opposition, the best and strongest in man is brought out and developed. Often as he went to bed at night the picture of his mother working at her loom by the light of a greased rag filled his young heart with a burning desire to do something that he might relieve her of hardship.
At sixteen years of age Mr. Knight left the parental roof and took employment with Benjamin Roberts, who agreed to pay him thirty dollars per month. Being a strong lad with willing heart and ready hand, Jesse soon did the work of a man. His employer noted the boy and his diligence and so when he made settlement after six months, instead of paying him as originally agreed, he gave him a man's wage of fifty dollars per month from the beginning. It was this three hundred dollars which gave him his start in life. With the money he purchased a team of oxen and a wagon, while he purchased another team on credit. Thus he started out and from that time has steadily upbuilt his fortune. He has also been instrumental in the upbuilding of the fortunes of many others. The justice and generosity of his first employer has remained a pleasant incident and a noble example in his life.
For several years Mr. Knight bought and sold cattle. It is said of him by many in Utah county that often he paid widows and poor people more for their calves than they asked, sometimes making no profit for his trouble and risk, but as he said, "Never losing in the long run for doing good to others."
At the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, January 18, 1869, Jesse Knight married Miss Amanda McEwan, who was born November 13, 1851, where now stands the Alta Club. Salt Lake City. In his wife he found a helpmate in very deed. She braved any needful hardship with cheerfulness. She prized honor and integrity far above any worldly comforts. She made the best of twenty years of life in a lonely spot miles from neighbors in order that she and her husband might produce something for themselves and others. To her hands came the labor of cooking for family and hired men, the making of butter and cheese, which found ready market because of its cleanly perfection. Her courage was not lacking as she tenderly cared for the family of growing children, although doctors, relatives, or neighbors were far from her. It was while living on this ranch at Payson that Mr. Knight prospected the hills of Tintic and located many valuable claims. His first claim, the Humbug, was so named in derision by miners in that locality. He and his boys worked between seasons with pick and shovel for seven years before they found the ore. As soon as the ore was discovered he had an offer of one hundred and ten thousands dollars for the property. But not with standing their years of hard work, neither he nor his wife were tempted to accept, for Mr. Knight's faith in the property was unbounded, and while he had no ready cash with which to build a road and get ore to market he did have credit.
Many claims has he developed into paying properties in that locality since then and yet his interests are not confined to the wealth of the mine. When enterprises are projected that aim to bring good to many people, it is always possible to interest "Uncle Jesse." When approached, he invariably asks, "How is it to affect us? What good will it do for other people?" It was this idea of helpfulness that led him to buy vast areas and build a sugar factory in Canada; it was this idea that prompted the taking over of the Woolen Mills of Provo, at a time when the mills were closed down because they were unprofitable to the owners; it was this that induced him to make the big ditch for irrigating the Farms of Blue Bench, and it was this which was the incentive for him to scatter the light of electric plants in remote corners, that rural communities might enjoy its beaming. "Uncle Jesse" likes the pioneering of big projects, the developing of great resources. When his Canadian project was in course of development, he loaned a good deal of money to various settlers; he had also borrowed, large amounts for the development of this same enterprise and at that time was hard pressed to meet his obligations. He wrote his boys who were in charge in Canada that he had been called upon to make large payments here and that while he had perhaps equal amounts due him on the Canadian loans he did not feel that it would be right to crowd the farmers for payment. He told his sons that it was his firm belief if they did not work a hardship upon those poor men struggling to make homes that Providence would open up a way whereby his obligations could be met.
To Mr. and Mrs. Knight have been born six children, five of whom are living. Lydia Minerva, the first born, died in Payson at the age of eighteen years. The others are Oscar Raymond, a successful business man of Canada and Salt Lake City; Jesse William, of Provo, also a man of large affairs and a member of the presidency of Utah stake; Mrs. Inez K. Allen, president of Utah Stake Relief Society; Mrs. Jennie Mangum, and Mrs. Iona Jordan. Mr. Knight's children-in-law, as well as his own children, are interested in his enterprises. Mr. Allen is vice-president and cashier of the Knight Trust & Savings bank, and Mr. Mangum is secretary and treasurer of the Knight Investment Company. In 1890 Mr. Knight removed his family to Provo, in order that the children might attend the Brigham Young University. He is now vice-president of the Brigram Young University board of trustees, and has contributed generously of his means to that institution.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jesse Knight's membership is in the Fifth Ward of Provo. He is a high priest, having been ordained twenty-five years ago. He is unfaltering in his loyalty to the church. In politics he is a stanch democrat and while it is characteristic of him to be loyal to any cause he espouses, he holds principle above mere party success. In 1909 the democratic convention, held at Logan, voted by acclamation to place Jesse Knight on the ticket for governor of state. So enthusiastic were those assembled that it was long before he was even permitted to explain his position. Because he lacked school education and because the party had not adopted a prohibition plank, he declined the honor. Later he did succeed in getting prohibition in the democratic platform, which was perhaps the biggest step toward our present state law.
He has continually stood for progress and improvement in community affairs and given his earnest support to every plan and measure for the upbuilding of his state and the advancement of national interests. Far-seeing, broad-minded and kind in heart, this man is an inspiration to others about him. Though advanced in years, he admits no lessening of his power to do. At an age when most men are retiring from active business life, Mr. Knight projected his famous Tintic Drain Tunnel Company, and has already completed one-half mile of the total six miles required to tap the heart of Tintic mining district at about a two thousand foot depth. He still is the president of the Knight Investment Company, Knight Trust & Savings Bank, Springville-Mapleton Sugar Company, Spring Canyon Coal Company, Knight Woolen Mills, Eureka Hill Railroad, Ellison Ranching Company, Nevada, Knight Sugar Company in Canada, American-Columbian Corporation, South America, and about twenty mining companies. He has kept his hand constantly on the helm of business and his eye has been keen to its possibilities, but the attainment of financial success has been to him a means for making opportunities for others. All along life's journey he has extended a helping hand to those in need of assistance. He gives generously to the Red Cross and other charities, and his church and its institutions are objects on which he habitually bestows large sums. Most of all, he puts many people in position to help themselves. Uncle Jesse believes that money came to him to do good with and not to lavish on himself in personal comforts.
There is perhaps no life that more clearly exemplifies the truth of Emerson's philosophy that; "The way to win a friend is to be one" than does the life of Jesse Knight A modern philosopher has said, "Not the good that comes to us, but the good that comes to the world through us is the measure of our success." Judged by this standard the life of Jesse Knight has been most successful.
[Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


John Moffit
John Moffit came into Osage Mission in 1868 from Nauvoo, Ill., and soon after formed a partnership with John O'Grady, after which he and B. P. Ayers were associated together for a time. He took an interest in agriculture and horticulture, helping to organize the first agricultural and horticultural societies formed in the county. He gave up the battle in Kansas, about 1874 and went back to Illinois. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]
 


JOHN S. SHERIDAN is one of the representative citizens and successful farmers and stock growers of Brown county, his finely improved estate being located three and one-half miles northeast of Columbia. John Stinson Sheridan traces his genealogy in the agnatic line back to stanch Irish stock, his great-grandfather having emigrated with his family from the Emerald Isle to America about the year 1812, and having settled in Rochester, New York, where was born his grandson John, father of the subject of this sketch. This honored founder of the family in America died prior to the family's coming west in 1834. The grandfather, Thomas Sheridan, was married in Rochester, New York. He and a brother, and their families, came west in 1834, locating near Commerce, later called Nauvoo, in Hancock county, Illinois, and while there they mingled with the Mormons, who lived there at that time, and found them to be very good neighbors.
John S. Sheridan was born near Nauvoo, Hancock county, Illinois, on the 19th of December, 1852, being a son of John and Jane (Middleton) Sheridan. John Sheridan was born in 1820, married in 1850, and died in February, 1853. Jane, his wife, was born in Pennsylvania in 1826 and died in November, 1894. From their childhood both were residents of Illinois. The subject of this sketch received his early educational training in the public schools of Illinois, Fort Madison Academy and at Notre Dame, read law in Keokuk, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar of that state in 1881. He continued to there maintain his residence until August, 1882, when he came to Columbia, Brown county, South Dakota, where he established himself in the lumber business about the time of the completion of the line of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad through the place. He continued to be identified with this line of enterprise until 1886, and then located on his present fine farm, three and one-half miles north of Columbia. He is now the owner of a well-improved landed estate of eight hundred and eighty acres, nearly all being in the home farm, and of this four hundred and fifty acres are devoted to the raising of grain.
Characteristics of the Sheridan family are moderate thrift, industry and temperate habits, and today the subject's motto, in reference to his farming operations, is not quantity nor extent, but method and thoroughness and all stock the equal of the best. The subject is known as a man of marked public spirit and has taken a deep interest in local affairs, while he has long been prominent in the councils of the Populist party in the state, though being independent in his views and ever manifesting the courage of his convictions. On the Populist ticket he was elected to membership on the board of county commissioners in 1898, and served in this capacity for four years, proving a most loyal and able public official. During the period of his service the county court house and jail were erected. He has been a delegate to the various conventions of his party and ever shown a deep interest in its cause. In religion the subject is a Roman Catholic, while fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
In his native town of Nauvoo, Illinois, on the 26th of September, 1883. Mr. Sheridan was united in marriage to Miss Eunice Golden, who was there born and reared, and they are the parents of four children, all of whom are still at home, namely: Genevieve R., Kathleen E., John Leo and Golden Thomas. The Golden family were pioneers of Hancock county, Illinois.
[Source: "History of South Dakota", Vol. 2, by Doane Robinson - B. F. Bowen & Co., Publisher, 1904 - Submitted by Jim Dezotell]


JOHN J. WATSON resides about two miles south from Curlew where he does general farming and stock raising. He was born in Bloomfield, Iowa, on August 25, 1851, being the son of G. W. and Hannah G. (Waddell) Watson, natives of Vermont and Indiana, respectively. The parents settled in Iowa in 1847 and in Wayne county in that state in 1858. At the beginning of the Civil War, the father enlisted in Company M, Seventh Missouri Cavalry and fought for three years for the union. He was wounded in the right hip at Fort Smith and never recovered the use of his limb, fully. He died in Mountayr, in 1891 where the mother now lives. They were the parents of seven children, Lewis, John J., Olivia Walker, Travetta Depew, Arizona Arvado, Emma S. Ellis, and Hallie J., who died in 1881. From the public school, Mr. Watson received his education and until he was twenty-one, remained with his father. At that age he commenced railroading and followed the same for eleven years. After this, he continued his education on the farm and in 1879, came to Kansas, which was his home for three years. Thence he moved to Nebraska, where he resided six years. After that came the journey across the plains to the Pacific coast with mule teams, five months being consumed on the road. He landed in Seattle on September 14, and there did teaming and draying for a year or so. Later we find him in the coal business in Tacoma and in 1892, he took a logging contract for Allan C. Mason. Following that he came to North Yakima, taking up the coal and wood business, which occupied him until 1897. In that year he came to Eureka, now Republic, being one of the first settlers in that town. He operated an express there until 1901, then took one hundred and sixty acres near Curlew, which he improved and sold April 11, 1903. Mr. Watson then settled on his farm where he now resides, about fifty acres of which he has under cultivation. In addition to general farming, he does stock raising and has quite a band.
On August 29, 1877, Mr. Watson married Miss Sarah Knott, whose parents, James A. and Ellen T. (Shellhouse) Knott, were natives of Pennsylvania and early pioneers to Hancock county, Illinois. The father died in 1875, then the mother came to Iowa and later moved to Missouri, where she died in 1900. Eight children were born in this family, Clara E. Newingham, Mary Hanks, deceased, Bell Fowler, Jane Arnold, Cyrus, Marius, Horace, and James A. To Mr. and Mrs. Walker, four children have been born: Cora B., married to F. R. Burdette, a farmer residing near Curlew; Ethel, married to F. H. Stevenson, in Curlew; Elbie E., and Emory R.
Mr. Watson is a Republican and always takes an active interest in political matters. He is a member of the school board and has been deputy sheriff and United States marshal and was deputy city marshal at Yakima. He has also held various other offices.
Fraternally, Mr. Watson is affiliated with the I. O. O. F., the W. W., the S. of V., and the F. P. P. Mrs. Watson is a member of the Adventist church. Mr. Watson was recently appointed crop reporter for this section of the country, by the Spokane agency. He is a man of good standing and has shown valuable knowledge and interest in his labors in Ferry county.
[Source: “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904. Tr. by Rhonda Hill]

WESTERHOFF'S LIVED HERE
When the Westerhoff family arrived in Hancock Co., Illinois to farm in the small rural communities of Wythe, Walker, and Sutter, the nearest "big" town was Warsaw.   Warsaw is listed on the census records of 1860 and 1870 as the post office location for Wythe and Walker.   Our immigrant Westerhoff ancestors would have traveled into Warsaw for supplies and mail.  Warsaw was laid out in 1834.   It was a shipping market - one of the most important ones on the Mississippi River.  Daily barges ran to St. Louis and St Paul.   Although most early settlers were English, one section of Warsaw became known as Katze Boockle and another as Kahberg for the large number of German Lutherans and German Catholics living there.  The population in 1850 had grown to 850 free, white settlers.   The breweries employed lots of the German immigrants as did the flour and woolen mills.  In 1860 Warsaw had 9 lawyers, 7 doctors, 1 dentist, 7 general stores, 3 grocers and 14 other businesses.   
Our family lived in Hancock Co., from 1854 until they left to claim land in the Nebraska Territory under the Homestead Act in 1870 (John and his brother Jacob) and 1871 (brother William and widowed mother).  John Westerhoff Sr. and his daughter Wilhelmina are buried in Sutter, Hancock Co, Illinois in the churchyard of the Bethlehem Evangelical German Lutheran Church.   Widowed daughter, Maria Catherine Westerhoff Thomas also settled in Hancock, Co. Illinois and later Seward Co., with her 5 children.   She may have been the first to leave Illinois for NE since some histories state she moved to NE in 1869.   The church records of Bethlehem Church in Sutter contain many marriage, birth and baptism, communion and death records for the Westerhoff and Thomas families.
[source: Ancestry.com posted 24 July 2009 by rogron - family member history; trancribed as written by CBulllis]

N.L. WHITE -- born at Fountain Green, Illinois, May 08, 1862, is a son of *Jary (sic) and Elizabeth White. His father was a pioneer of Hancock County, Illinois, coming from Vermont in June 1835. He was married November 13, 1883, to Ella N George. They have one son, Chellis E, born October 14, 1884, who is employed by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. Formerly was Deputy County Clerk under J.T. Waddill. Mr. White came to Adair County Missouri in March 1893 and settled in Clay township. There he farmed two years and then came to Kirksville, where he was employed by the Adair Lumber Company, where he remained in business for two years. He then sold out, went to Brashear, purchased a hardware stock, and controlled that concern for two years. He then sold that business and came to Kirksville, where for the past eighteen months he has been manager of the Adair Lumber Company. He is Republican in politics, a member of the Methodist church, and member of the M.W.A. He is a member of the City Council from the Fourth Ward.
[Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette, 1911 - DR - sub by FoFG]
 
LEVI and MARY WILLIAMS
Moved their family to Hancock County in 1831, settling 3 miles south of Warsaw on the bluff road.   Later they took their abode to the prairie six miles southeast of the city.   Levi Williams entering 113 acres of land, which was at that time wild and unimproved, but which he transformed into a valuable and productive farm.   He was a ranger up and down the river during the Black Hawk War.   He lived on the homestead until his death on November 27, 1860 at the age of 66 years old.  
In their family there were 9 children; Rice C (who resides in Peoria); Henry (who is living on the old homestead) and John Reid.    Those who have passed away are William, Thomas, Jane, Theresa M, Elizabeth and two who died in infancy.
[Source: Hancock County, Illinois Biographical Review.  Posted on Ancestry.com 28 Feb 2011.   Transcribed as written by CBullis]


 

BACK -- HOME

©Genealogy Trails