|BABCOCK, Mrs. Helen Louise B., dramatic reader, born in Galva, Ill., 13th August,
1867. Her maiden name was Bailey. She early displayed a marked talent for elocution and on reaching woman's estate
she decided to make dramatic reading her profession. With that aim she became a pupil in the Cumnock School of
Oratory of the Northwestern University, and, being an earnest student, she was graduated with the highest honors.
Afterwards she became an assistant instructor in the same oratorical school and was very successful in the delicate
and difficult work of developing elocutionary and dramatic talents in others. Perfectly familiar with the work,
she was able to guide students rapidly over the rough places and start them on the high road to success. After
severing her connection with the Cumnock school, she taught for a time in Mount Vernon Seminary, Washington, D.
C. After the death of her mother, in 1890, she accompanied her father abroad and spent some time in visiting the
principal countries of Europe. In 1891 she was married to Dr. K. C. Babcock, of Hastings, Neb., where she now lives.
("American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies", Volume 1, Publ. 1897. -- Transcribed by Marla Snow)
Even more than the stage is the press a mirror, showing forth “the very age and body of the time,” recording all doings and happenings among men, presenting each ay a picture of the world and its multiform activity. But more than this, -- it is a watchman on the tower, taking note of wind and sky, and if need be, giving warning of approaching danger. It is a guide and a restraint, governing the trend of public opinion, and holding it away from wrong channels. It is a creator and a destroyer, providing stimulus and nourishment for what is good, and seeking to overbear all the insidious influences of evil – uncovering to the public gaze the true gods in morals, and taste and politics, and opposing the false with resolute and relentless energy. Holding this lofty ideal, the Aspen Daily Democrat strives in its modest way to perform its true function and meet the requirements of its high duty. It labors to be a pleasure and a help to the community in which it is circulated, with many shortcomings, doubtless, but with a large measure of success, as its present prosperity and influence attest. Charles Dailey, the popular and accomplished editor and owner of this journal, was prepared for his duties by a long apprenticeship in the newspaper office. He was born at Geneseo, Henry county, Illinois, on April 29, 1866, and is the son of Charles and Lydia F. Dailey, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of Indiana. The father was a shoemaker and worked at his trade many years with success. He was a soldier in the Mexican and the Civil wars, serving in each with the valor of a true American citizen whose ordinary duty lies in the fields of peaceful production, and never takes up arms in military conflict unless the honor or the welfare of his country requires it, and then bears himself in the struggle as if all the interests of home and family and country were at stake. After their marriage the parents settled in Illinois, and there the father passed the remainder of his life, dying in December, 1880. He was an ardent Democrat in political faith, and constant and efficient in the service of his party. There were six children in the family, four of whom are living, William A., Mrs. George G. Farley, Charles and Mrs. John H. Reinhardt. On June 6, 1886, the mother married a second husband. Dr. Frank Fulton, of Monte Vista, Colorado, the leading physician of the San Luis valley and one of its most prominent and esteemed citizens. He was a Freemason of the Knight Templar degree, and at the time of his death, an April 17, 1903, was a member of the Populist party in political association. Charles Dailey was educated in the public schools of Denver, and at the age of twelve became a mail boy for Messrs. Chain & Hardy, stationers of that city. After four months’ service as such he was made assistant shipping clerk, and at the end of his first year was appointed shipping clerk, so high was the order of his fidelity an capacity and his character. From 1881 to 1886 he was night sealer in the yards at Denver for the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. In 1887 he moved to Monte Vista and apprenticed himself in the office of the Graphic newspaper to learn the printing trade. When his apprenticeship was completed he became foreman of the office, and this position he held until 1896. During the next four years he was editor and manager of the Daily Miner at Creede, Colorado. On July 29, 1900, he moved to Aspen and took the post of manager of the Aspen Daily Democrat and as such conducted the paper until January 1, 1903. He then purchased it, and he has owned and edited it ever since. When he bought it the journal had a feeble and languishing existence, an insufficient patronage, a load of debt, and a rather low place in public estimation. He has placed it firmly on its feet, greatly enlarged its circulation and support, considerably enlarged its popularity, raised its tone, and established it firmly as one of the admired and influential institutions in the community. This he has done not by feeding popular vanity or catering to personal whims or yielding to public clamor; but by meeting the requirements of the people generally, and showing a commendable independence of individual and class opinion, interests and ambitions. In consequence of this policy, the paper is as regularly expected now in the ordinary life of the territory in which it circulates as necessary food or raiment. Mr. Dailey inherited the martial spirit of his father, and was a member of the Colorado National Guard from 1887 to 1896. In this organization he displayed the same energy, zeal, and comprehensiveness of view that have distinguished him in other lines of activity, and by his merit he rose from the ranks to the position of captain. In fraternal relations he is connected with the order of Elks, the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias, and his political allegiance is firmly and loyally given to the Democratic party. On April 18, 1894, he was married to Miss Emeline B. Bennick, a native of Boston, Massachusetts. They have one child, Charles Dailey, Jr. it should be added that while endeavoring to publish a first-class newspaper, and make it a valuable party organ. Mr. Dailey has not omitted due attention to the needs of advertisers, and has one of the most completely equipped newspaper offices in his portion of the state. (Source: "Progressive Men of Western Colorado", Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks)
DRAKE, Mrs. Mary Eveline, minister of the gospel and church worker, born in Trenton, Oneida county, N.Y., 8th June, 1833. Her maiden name was Mary E. McArthur. Her father was of Scotch parentage, and her mother was English, a relative of Lady Gurney, better known as the celebrated Elizabeth Fry. From her parents she inherited that strong religious bent of character that has distinguished her life. When about six year of age she removed with her parents to southern Michigan, where she received most of her common school and academic education. From there the family removed to the town of Geneseo, Ill., where she spent her early married life, residing there most of the time for over twenty years. She joined her mother's church, the Congregational, and began that course of earnest personal effort for the conversion of others for which her nature peculiarly fitted her and in which she has been so successful. In addition to her work in prayer-meeting, Sunday-school and young peoples Bible-classes, she was frequently called to assist evangelists by visiting ana in revival meetings. During all that time she was active in all the various reforms and benevolences of the time. In war time she was especially active in the Women's Soldiers' Aid Society, going south as far as Memphis, and looking to the right distribution of the provisions sent to the hospitals there, and she was one of the leaders in the women's temperance crusade. She had the added care of her family, which she supported most of the time by the labor of her own hands. The natural result of such constant labors came in a severe attack of nervous prostration, which totally ended her work for a season. To secure full restoration, she went to reside for a time with her only living son, Gen. M. M. Marshall, then a railroad official in western Iowa. There she became the wife of Rev. A. J. Drake, of Dakota. A very few weeks of the bracing air of Dakota sufficed to restore her to perfect health and strength. She entered with her husband into the home missionary work, for which, by her zeal and his long experience, they were so well adapted. Mr. Drake was then laboring in Iroquois, a village at the junction of two railroads, where he had a small church of eight members worshiping in a schoolhouse. Though living tor the first two years at DeSmet, sixteen miles away, they they soon had other preaching stations and Sunday-schools in hand and preparations made for building a church in Iroquois. Mrs. Drake went east as far as Chicago and raised sufficient means to buy the lumber and push forward the work. Encouraged by her success, she was readily urged by her husband to take part in the public services, addressing Sunday-schools, till she came very naturally to choose a subject or text and practically to preach the gospel. The wide extent of their held and the constant need of dividing their labors tended strongly to this. A very much needed rest and the kindness of an eastern friend enabled them to attend the anniversary of the American Home Missionary Society in Saratoga. On the way, by special invitation, she addressed the Woman's Home Missionary Union of Illinois in Moline. Being heard in that meeting by Dr. Clark, of the American Home Missionary Society, on arrival at Saratoga she was called to address the great congregation assembled there. She has since spoken in many of the large cities and churches of New Kngland and other States. The result of these visits has been the raising of means sufficient, with what people on the ground could give, to build two other large churches in Esmond and Osceola, S. Dak. She and her husband are caring for a field forty-five miles in length and fifteen miles in breadth, with five churches and Sunday-schools. They also publish a monthly paper, entitled the "Dakota Prairie Pioneer." At the earnest request of the leading ministers in the State she consented to ordination and the largest Congregational council ever assembled in South Dakota ordained her to the work of the ministry in December, 1890. That was one of the first ordinations of a woman to the ministry west of the Mississippi. [Source: "A Woman of the Century: Fourteen Hundred-Seventy Biographical Sketches" by Frances Elizabeth Willard and Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, 1893 -- Submitted by Karen Seeman]
Eugene K. Hayes, born near Lafayette, Illinois, later farmed in Stark County and Westhersfield, had definite ideas of what was needed to revolutionize farming. In 1881 he moved to Kewanee and in 1882 started the production of "Kewanee Check Rowers." Three years later he built the first Hayes Corn Planter. In 1886 Mr. Hayes accepted a proposition for establishing a factory in Galva and by the end of that year the plant was in operation. The investment for the factory site was 45,000. When Mr. Hayes passed away in 1903, his sons continued the business. The Company weathered the financial difficulties of the 1920's but in 1928 controlling inverest was sold to the Vulcan Plow Company of Evansville, Indiana. The local plant became a part of Farm Tools Inc., in 1930. Operation was discontinued one year later.
Hayes Pump and Planter Company
Galva's main industry from 1886 until operation was discontinued in 1931, was the Hayes Pump and Planter Company. At one time there were 250 men on the payroll and the names of Hayes and Galva were carried on corn planters, pumps, cultivators, harrows, grain drills and other farm equipment, east, west, north and south in the United States as well as foreign countries. Dealers and distributors of the Hayes line at one time numbered 3,000
[Source: Corn, Commerce, and Country Living ... "History of Henry County IL", Edited by Terry Ellen Polson Published by the Henry County Board of Supervisors 1968 --- Submitted by Chris Walters]
OLSON, FRANK G.
FRANK G. OLSON is another of Skagit county's (WA) citizens who has helped to convert her wild lands and forest wildernesses into fruitful farms and prosperous homesteads. Born in Henry County, Illinois, the son of Olof T. Olson, he comes of Swedish-American parentage. The elder Olson left Sweden when twenty years of age and settled on a farm in Illinois, from which he removed to Kansas in 1872. In Kansas he spent the most of his life, coming to La Conner in 1904 to make his home for the rest of his days. Mrs. Bertha Olson, the mother of the subject of this sketch, also a native of Sweden, is likewise passing her declining years in Skagit county. She is the mother of seven children of whom Frank G. is the second. As a lad young Olson passed through the usual routine of a farmer boy's life, attending the common schools and assisting about the farm until he reached his majority. Then with characteristic faith in his own sturdy ability to make a home for himself, he left the fields of Kansas in 1883 and came to Washington, spending the first few days in Seattle. That summer he spent in the harvest fields of eastern Washington, returning thence in the fall to Puget sound, and visiting La Conner. During the subsequent winter he returned to Kansas, spent a year farming there, and by 1886 he was back to Skagit county. Only a season did he spend on the coast this time, returning to Kansas, where he was married. Taking up his residence on the sound once again, Mr. Olson worked a year at various occupations then pre-empted 120 acres on the Sauk river near Sauk City, proving up seven months later. From Sauk City he went to La Conner and erected a substantial residence. In 1893 he traded this town property for forty acres of farming land and on this tract he now makes his home. He has cleared it of the forest, placed it all under cultivation and erected a handsome residence and substantial barns and other outbuildings.
Mr. Olson was united to Miss Salma Lindfors in 1887, the marriage taking place in Kansas. She is a native of Sweden, born in 1862. Of her parents only one, her father, is living, his home being in the old country. Mrs. Olson was reared and educated across the water, coming to this continent in 1883. Six children have blessed her home, all of whom, with one exception (Clara V.), were born in Kansas: Carl B., born in 1888; Clara V., in Kansas, in 1890; Lillie, 1892; Edna, 1896; Josephine, 1900, and Earl, 1902. Mr. Olson attends the Lutheran church, though not affiliated with its membership, is a member of the Grange, and at the polls votes independently. His thrifty farm is well stocked with cattle and horses, modern machinery, etc., in keeping with the position of their owner as a progressive agriculturist. [An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish (WA) Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.]
Alvin A. Shaw, M. D.
A man of high professional attainments and one who holds distinctive prestige as the pioneer physician of the thriving village of San Marcial, Socorro county, Dr. Shaw is manifestly deserving of specific recognition in this work. He is one of the representative business men of the town, in which he conducts one of the leading drug stores, in addition to continuing in the active practice of his noble profession.
The Doctor's ancestry is one whose history has been one of long identification with that of the United States, running back, in both the paternal and maternal lines, to English origin. His great-grandfather Shaw was a native of New England, where his parents had taken up their abode at an early period. He subsequently left his native heath and proceeding to the Western frontier became one of the pioneers of the State of Ohio. In the Buckeye State was born John Shaw, the grandfather of our subject, and there he was reared to maturity, being eventually ordained to the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church and laboring long and zealously in his high calling. In 1835 he removed to Indiana and became one of the pioneer clergymen in La Porte county. The Doctor's father, Jonathan Shaw, was born in Ohio in the year 1824, and accompanied his parents upon their removal to the Hoosier State. He received his education in the schools of La Porte, and upon attaining mature years was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Evarts, who was a native of Indiana. They became the parents of six children, all of whom are living at the present time. The honored father, who became a man of prominence and influence in the community where he passed so many years of his active and useful life, was called to eternal rest in 1891, having attained a venerable age. His devoted wife passed away in 1893, having lived to enjoy the love and solicitude of her children and her children's children. In their religious faith they were zealous adherents of the Universalist Church.
Alvin A. Shaw, the immediate subject of this review, was the third child in order of birth, the place of his nativity having been Annawan, Henry county, Illinois, and the date the 16th of July, 1859. He completed his more purely literary education in the State University of Illinois, graduating at that institution in 1880, after which he matriculated in the Chicago Medical College, completing the prescribed course and graduating in 1883. Thus thoroughly prepared for the practice of that profession which he had determined to make his life work, the Doctor entered professional work in the city of Chicago, but within the course of a year was thrice attacked very severely with pneumonia, and finally became convinced that it was imperative for him to seek a different climate if he hoped to preserve his health.
Casting about for an eligible location, he finally decided to locate in New Mexico, and in the year 1884 he arrived in San Marcial, and here entered vigorously upon the practice of his profession, consummating an association with Dr. G. P. Edwards, who had been established here for some little time. After a year had elapsed the partnership was dissolved and Dr. Edwards located elsewhere. Our subject has since maintained a consecutive practice and has gained a representative support, his ability as a physician being recognized as clearly as is his honor as a man. In 1885 the Doctor established here the first drug store opened in the town, and in this line of enterprise he has since been concerned in connection with his professional work. He is careful and conscientious in his business methods, and as a physician is thoroughly well informed, being a close student and keeping constantly abreast of the advances made in the sciences of medicine and surgery. His practice is one that extends over a wide radius of country, and in this, as well as in his more distinctively business pursuits, he has met with gratifying success, retaining the confidence and esteem of the community with whose interests he has been so conspicuously identified.
In his fraternal relations Dr. Shaw is prominently associated with the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is a member of Hiram Lodge No. 13, A. F. & A. M., of San Marcial, and served two terms as its Worshipful Master. In his political adherency the Doctor uses his right of suffrage in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, but he has never been aspirant for official preferment.
The marriage of our honored subject was consummated in 1883, when he was united to Miss Rena Batten, a native of his own birthplace and the daughter of Richard W. Batten. The union has been blessed with two children - Mamie and Rena.
Since coming to San Marcial, Dr: Shaw has been intimately indentified with the interests of the town, and he has lent influence and effective aid in furthering its development and advancement. He has acquired a considerable amount of local realty and has erected several buildings here, among them being his residence, which is one of the most attractive in the place. He is looked upon as one of the most able physicians in the Territory and as one of the distinctively representative business men of San Marcial.
Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team
For many years Mrs. Amilia Werth, widow of William Werth, has resided in Hamilton County (Nebraska). She was one of the early pioneers in this part of the country, having arrived here in 1872.
Mr. Werth was born in Germany May 24, 1844, and came to the United States in 1870, going direct to Henry County, Illinois. In 1872 he removed to Cass County, Nebraska, but in the latter part of the same year located in Hamilton County, taking a one hundred and sixty acre homestead on Lincoln creek. For about six weeks a wagon box formed the only shelter for him and his wife. Soon a dugout was built on this land, consisting of one room with a straw roof and dirt floor. They had no furniture and a bed was made from old poles and brush. A table was made from an old elm tree, the remainder of the timber being used for fuel. Mr. Werth's land was broken with the aid of a horse team, five dollars having been the purchase price of one animal. Deer, antelopes and buffaloes were plentiful in the vicinity of the homestead and he was a participant in several thrilling buffalo hunts. There was one Indian camp in that community and Mr. Werth traded with them, ate several meals with them and found them quite civilized and friendly.
It was on the 15th of October, 1870, that Mrs. Werth became the wife of William Werth. His death occurred January 21, 1888, being the victim of a train accident at Hampton. He was a man of great energy and ambition and became widely known throughout the county. In that early day Lincoln was the nearest town to their homestead and Mr. Werth when hauling grain to that place would stop along the road and secure work in order to obtain enough money to buy feed for the horses. On the 13th of October, 1864, he had enlisted in the Union army from Springfield, Illinois, becoming a member of Company F, Ninth Regiment Cavalry and was in active service until mustered out at Montgomery, Alabama, October 31, 1865. Mr. Werth was one of the first county commissioners of Hamilton County and was the builder of the first bridge across Lincoln creek. Mr. Werth also had the distinction of having the first post office on Lincoln creek which was conducted in an old sod house. As a man of sterling character and great business ability, Mr. Werth endeared himself to a large number of friends throughout the community and his death caused a widespread feeling of bereavement where he had so long resided. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Werth; John, born in Cass County and who now resides in Hamilton County; Emma and Amilia, who died in infancy; Lizzie, who is now Mrs. Jacob Wall of Hamilton County; Ida, now Mrs. Henry Keith of Hamilton County; William, at home; Carl, whose death occurred in 1911; Augusta and Hannah, at home; and Henry, whose death occurred on the 12th of March, 1916.
Mrs. Werth is now in possession of a farm of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land in Hamilton County, in section 26, Otis Township. There were many hardships endured in the reconstruction period after the Civil war and also during the early pioneer days in Hamilton County, and Mrs. Werth remembers having paid as high as one dollar for a box of matches. But Mr. and Mrs. Werth allowed no obstacle to remain long in their path and she is now financially independent and one of the most prominent and highly respected women of the community.
[Source: History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska; Supervising Editors George L. Burr, O.O. Buck ;Compiled by Dale P. Stough By George L. Burr, O. O. Buck, Dale P. Stough (Published 1921) pages 62-63; submitted by Marla Zwakman]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails