Welcome to Illinois Genealogy Trails

IROQUOIS COUNTY PHOTOS


World War I troops parading in Watseka

Barber Shop in Watseka

Stadt Blakenberg Hotel, Papineau


Henry Leiding Blacksmith Shop, Crescent City


 

This family picture was taken in 1930 and published in the Prairie Farmer. The Following is the explanation under the printed picture: "Mr. and Mrs. August Anderson, Iroquois County, Illinois, were born in Sweden and came to Illinois and reared this family without a serious illness or death. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson you have done wonderfully well." Top row, left to right: Russell, Gladys, Lillian, Edwin, Helen, and Lester. Middle Row, left to right: Evelyn, Gertrude, Sidney, Father, Mary, Mother and Dorothy. Front Row, left to right: Carl, August, Jr. and John. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book in possession of Carrol Mick) **family information here**

Milford Firefighters:

Standing on ground, left to right: Eldo Sangle, Elmer Rader and Harry Holmes, On Truck, left to right: Jim Griffith, Ike Rouch, Seigle Borg, Bill Clark, Forrest "Beaner" Thomas, Bill Wood, Harry Hibler, Manis Thomas, Ed Firchau, Clyde Rockhill, Earl Brown (seated), Roy Henry, Cash Royer, Art Thomas and Jack Buss.

Top to Bottom, left to right:

Darius Hartwell 1856, B.F. Thomas 1859, James McConnell 1867, N.B. Catmell 1870, Asel Davis 1873, Moses A. Thompson 1875, John White 1880, H. V. Brown 1876, W.H. Mogg 1883, Horace B. Russell 1887, M.D. Wilbur 1890, A.M. Jones 1901, E.W. Scott 1903, E.S. Herron 1905, C.M. Slife 1909, T.C. Herron 1911, M.W. Crist 1912, D.S. Disosway 1917, Amos White 1919, E.M. Spangle 1920

(writing above pictures l to r: Grocery store across from depot, Harry Frames grandfather farming, Music Teacher, farmer, farmer, farmer, farmer, Hardware store farm implements 1875-1900, depot agent, had drug store killed trying to save his horse, cashier in first national bank 30 years, hardware lumber yard farm machinery opened up citizens bank 1908, blacksmith shop, run elevator here moved to Gilman worked in bank, farmer, helped run elevator at Milford and Bryce, farmer did custom threshing, owned farms county clerk insurance, farmer, Alice Frame's cousin baker & owned bakery.

Milford Lodge No. 168 A.F. & A.M. was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Illinois on October 3, 1855. The original charter named Allen Latham as Worshipful Master; Marcus Hartwell as Senior were Darius Hartwell, William Thomas, Clement Thomas, A.J. Endsley and A.J. Hand.

Early records of the lodge are incomplete, but the first written minutes were dated December 27, 1855, when apparently the first petitions for membership were received. It is not a matter of record in the minutes of the meetings as to where the meetings were held, but according to tradition they were held in the loft of a mill located on Sugar Creek. This arrangement apparently proved inadequate, as the records indicate that a committee was appointed to negotiate for a better meeting place. It is assumed at this time the lodge moved to the second floor of a building located on East Jones Street, the first floor of which was later occupied by the Sammons Grocery. In 1897 the Masons and Odd Fellows jointly entered into a contract with Dr. Ira Brown to erect the second story of a new building to be located at the corner of Jones Street and Axtell Avenue, under a 99 year lease. According to an article published in the Milford Herald, the Masons first made use of the new hall in 1898 for the installation of new officers for the Masons and also for the Eastern Star Chapter.

(from page 25 Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

Lilly Dora Black Briscoe

(submitted by Lucy Briscoe/Green at jeneobug@aol.com)


 

Milford Class Photo - unknown year

On the back it says Caldwell Photo, Milford, Il. Mr. Charles Purgett (my dad) Don't know which one is him but figure early 1900's contributed by John & Diane Kleinke


 

       

Charles Elmer Paul and Theodore James Paul       


Left to Right: Clement Thomas, born 1820; Samuel Thomas, born 1843; William A. Thomas, born 1871 with wife Lillie (Rader) and First Grandchild, Lena Young (from Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830 to 1980, page 84)


Christian Church in Milford, Illinois unknown year; graciously submitted by Lucy Briscoe/Green at JeneoBug@aol.com



Jones Street in Milford, Illinois-unknown year; graciously submitted by Lucy Briscoe/Green at JeneoBug@aol.com


Carnegie Library in Milford, Illinois- unknown year; graciously submitted by Lucy Briscoe/Green at JeneoBug@aol.com


M.E. Church in Milford, Illinois -unknow year; graciously submitted by Lucy Briscoe/Green at JeneoBug@aol.com


Some Photos from Milford

Departure of Area Doughboys. 1917. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)


Circa 1900- Left to Right- Warren Davis, Otto Smith, George Sammons, Fred Lyons (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

Memorial Day Parade, May 30th. 1941. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

Civil War Veterans gathered at G.A.R. Cannon. 1903 (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

The County Fair, January 24th, 1908. Held in Sever's Opera House. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

Circa 1899. Lee S. Earl and Frank Bogardus in Doorway. S.H. Earl and Ray Fielding in Buggy. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

Wilmoth's Millinery Shop. Dicie Sivill at back. Loie Stevens at Right. The Milliner's Creations were works of art. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

The Crystal Theatre. Nickelodeon. 1908. Horn above door bellowed the latest songs. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Sounvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)

Home Grown Talent Minstrel Shows. Fern Shaner Disosway, Gladys Lyon Pierce, (center) R. Neva Lyon, L. Hattie White Moore. (from the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Sounvenir Book 1830-1980 in possession of Carrol Mick)


The Swimmin' Hole. Left to Right. "Beans" Williams, Tom Donaldson, Lyle Townson, Robt. Wolfe, Geo. Fanning, Orville Kincaid, "Tabby" Williams, Harry Fanning, Henry Clark, Lee Lautenschlager. (this is out of the Milford and Vicinity Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book 1830-1980-I have altered the picture for this site as it may not be appropriate for some)


Milford Canning company-unknown year graciously contributed by Lucy Briscoe/Green.


Stockland Sugar Creek Chapel-Memorial Day 2003

Contributed by Lucy Briscoe/Green



(Back: Emma Dawson English, Daughter Loie Stevens. Front: Jeremiah Dawson, Cline Stevens, Mary Coffelt Dawson)


Sugar Creek Cemetery

Sugar Creek Chapel Bridge

Lucy Briscoe/Green at JeneoBug@aol.com


 

Watseka high School

Watseka Union Station

Residence of F.P. Morris in Watseka, IL


Charles William Axtell


1929 $20.00 bill Gilman Bank Note


Watseka $5.00 bill


Papineau Township Pictures

Beaverville Township Pictures


(all information and photos are copyrighted and may not be used without prior permission)

Back to the
Main Index Page

©2004 Carrol Mick and Illinois Genealogy Trails