Surnames Aa to Az
Sherman Hidegard (Benner) Adsit
The English name "Adsit" can be traced back to that of John Adsit who settled in Lyme, Connecticut in 1716. In addition to the name, the ten generations of Adsits are tied by two strong threads: agriculture and community service.
Samuel Adsit, (1719-1806) sixth child of John and his second wife, Mary, married Abigail Kenyon in 1744. Their family, which included six children, moved from Connecticut to Dutchess County, New York were Samuel served as a private in Captain Tanner's, 9th Albany County militia.
Silas Adsit (1757-1817) like his father, Samuel and his grandfather John, worked the land and at various times served in the revolutionary army. Eight children resulted from his marriage to Phoebe Smith in 1779.
Samuel (1790-1856) sixth son of Silas, was trained as a carpenter and also served in the war of 1812. His wife, Sarah E. Stow, bore him ten children. In 1826 the family moved to Wilmington, Clinton County, Ohio. In 1831 it was back to the wagon for a move to Adams County, Indiana. Twenty years later government land became available to buy in Lovejoy Township, Iroquois County, Illinois and that became their final home. Samuel died at Milford, Illinois and he and his wife are buried in Sugar Creek Chapel Cemetery in Stockland township.
Dewitt Clinton Adsit (1831-1894), Samuel's fifth child, continued the pioneering spirit. In 1854, his family was one of the first in Lovejoy Township. In addition to farming his 240 acres there, he organized the first school with his wife, Laura S. Galloway At one time, Dewitt served as commissioner of highways.
Their son, Samuel Perry (1870-1950) was born in the farmhouse northeast of Wellington. Schooled by his mother, he later attended Business College in Bloomington,Illinois. He and his wife, Eva Florence Hickman (1867-1945), managed farms both in Wellington and MIlford area. They had four children, Sherman Cordes, Lois Cornelia, Wendell Perry, and Gaylord Dewitt.
Perry and Eva are buried at Hoopeston, Illinois. Sherman C. Adsit (1893-1965) carried on the Adsit involvement with farming, interrupted briefly by service in the U.S. Navy. Mayme Bramer (1892-1966) who became his bride in 1918, took and active roll in Milford organizations, including American Red Cross, Methodist Church, Girl Scouts, American Legion Auxiliary, and Milford Library Board. It is in that same library her portrait hangs to commemorate her years of dedication to community service. Sherman and Mayme are buried at Sugar Creek Chapel cemetery, Stockland township.
Sherman and Mayme had one son, William Sherman, born in 1925. He and his wife, Hildegard Louise Benner (1925), were married in St. John's Lutheran Church at Schwer (1948).
After graduating form Augustana School of Nursing as a registered Nurse in 1947, Hildegard worked at Watseka's Iroquois Memorial Hospital. William served two years in the Army, returned home and expanded the family farm at Milford. In 1955, with his father, they formed the Adsit Farm Equipment Co. William and Hildegard continue the tradition of seven Adsit generations before them, farming the land and improving the community through participation in community, educational, religious and youth organizations.
Michael William (1949), first son of Bill and Hildegard has served in the U.S. Marines, worked as an aide to the Governor of Illinois and presently develops real estate in Pennsylvannia and New Jersey. Aaron Michael (1974) and Colleen Rae (1976) are his children by his first marriage to Ellen Lore. His second wife, Debroah S. Solow, produces television programming. Deborah has one daughter, Lauren, by her first marriage.
Andrew Perry (1951), second son of William and Hildegard, was married in 1975 to Jill Elaine Slife whose family also has many roots in the Milford area. Andrew and Jill have two children, Eric Cordes (1979) and Lindsley Leigh (1982). Andrew received his MS degree in 1975 from East Texas State. He and Jill worked in Texas for two years before returning to Milford. In 1978 he joined the family farming operations. Jill, a registered nurse, works at the Watseka Hospital.
(from Iroquois County History 1985 page 157 transcribed by Carrol Mick)