Lawrence Caveney emigrated from Ireland as a young man and married Hopi Treat of Connecticut. To this union was born Mary Ann, John Lawrence and Charles; another Charles died in infancy. John L. was born in Auburn, New York but was educated at the Brockport Institute in Monroe County, New York. His parents and sister are buried just outside Brockport in the Beech Ridge Section of the Lakeview Cemetery, along with Hopi s parents. Hopi s father held rank of Captain and was probably in the War of 1812. In 1846, John L. came to Kendall County, Illinois and became a farmer and carpenter around Plano. He married Esther Lincoln, who was born in Chautauqua County, New York (father Jedediah). Other Lincolns from Genessee County, NY were already in Kendall County. John L. and Esther had four childrenCharles who died at two years; Mary, who married and settled in Washington State; Celia (Mrs. Edgar Harroun) and Frank Albert.
John L. bought land in Iowa in the 1850 s but didn t stay very long and came back to Kendall County. About 1860, he purchased several tracts of land in Iroquois Coutn and proceeded to build his home on the tract of land in Section 30 and 19 in Iroquois Township about 1870, tow miles north of Crescent City and one half mile west.
Frank A. married a local girl, Sophia Mueller, whose parents had emigrated from the Mecklenberg are of Germany. Born to them were: Maude E. (Mrs. Paul Albrecht); Lula (Mrs. Walter Malany); Frank Marion; and Clara (Mrs. Logan LeSage).
Frank A. continued to work the homeplace until Frank M. married Ruby A. Dewey who lived with her family on a farm not far from Plato. She was born and educated around Milford. Ruby played the piano and organ and she and her father, Joseph Dewey, who played violin, fiddled many dances and get-togethers around the L Erable community. Frank M. attended the university of Illinois where he studied agriculture. To Frank M. and Ruby were born two daughters: Frances J. (Mrs. Charles Cyrus) and Helen L. (Mrs. Hugh Bradish). They are the present owners of the homeplace. From John L. to this day, most Caveney family members have been buried at the Flesher Cemetery in Iroquois Township.
When I was young, the house on the homeplace contained 22 rooms including two stair halls and two attics. We had a horse barn with carriage shed, a cow barn, a crib and machinery storage building, chicken house, wood storage building, a small garage, numerous pig outbuildings; many fenced pastures; 65 acres of virgin timber land, four artesian wells, numerous springs and a complete set of buildings to house the hired man and his family. Many church and school picnics were held in the Cavena* timber. *(This is how the name was spelled in the Beckwith edition of the County history). The west boundary of the Iroquois County 4-h Fairgrounds lies on the old road that crossed Spring Creek before Illinois #49 was built.
(from Iroquois County History-1985 page 216, transcribed by Carrol Mick)
Edgar (b. 10/20/1848) married Celia M. Caveney, and they had eight children. They lived in the Crescent City area and Watseka all of their lives.
(this is Edgar Harroun son of Alvin and Lydia (Williams) Harroun-this is from page 326 Iroquois County History)
Robert and Maria (Kern) Clark--In 1851, Robt. Clark came to Onarga Township from Indiana, leaving behind his wife, Maria Kern Clark, and their first child, John, born June 7, 1851. They married October 7, 1849 in Dayton, Ohio.
Robt., the third child of eight of John Clark and Susanna Sherard Clark, was born June 15, 1827, in Butler County, Ohio. John's father, a doctor, had come with his wife from England prior to 1799, moving westward from Pennsylvania to Ohio.
Robt. built a log cabin on the Onarga Township sixty acres, located on Spring Creek, which he bought for $500 from Warren Vertrees and his wife, Isabella.
Records of Iroquois County indicate that Robt. Clark also took possession of two 80 acre tracts in Crescent Township in 1852. His son, John, later lived on one of these.
He then brought his wife and son from Indiana, and their second and third sons were born in the log cabin: Samuel Owen on November 19, 1853; and William Olvier on March 12, 1857.
Construction of a farm home was begun in 1857 and completed in 1860. Subsequently five children were born there: Sarah Elizabeth, April 16, 1860; Mary Elinor, March 31, 1863; Sopha Marie, February 28, 1866; Hattie Almeda, October 13, 1869; Lyman Sheldon, October 1, 1872.
In 1862, Robt. bought forty acres for $600 form the Illinois Central Railroad, which, added to the sixty acres bought in 1852, comprise the farm now the Howard Clark Estate.
Pioneer Robt. Clark traded milk and food stuffs for blankets, baskets, and trinkets with small bands of Iroquois Indians. As a hunter and fisherman, he was able to furnish his family with meat and fish.
Maria Clark died November 19, 1889, and in 1891 their son William and his wife, Anzina Kalar Clark, moved to be with Robt., in the farm home. They had married October 8, 1876, and lived on one of the eighty acre tracts in Crescent Township. Four children were born there: Lyman Budd, April 26, 1877; Frank, September 21, 1878--who died at the age of two; Lula Bell, August 31, 1881; Howard Melvin, April 3, 1887.
Their fifth child, Cecil Carl, was born May 15, 1893, in the farm house of Robt. Clark.
February 14, 1899, Robt. Clark died and is buried in Onarga Cemetery beside his wife, Maria.
William and Anzina retired form farming to a home in Watseka in February, 1916. Three years later they moved to Onarga, where Anzina died August 3, 1922. Their son, Howard, had married Jessie May Eisenhower (born October 12, 1887 at Graymont, Illinois) on January 27, 1909, and lived on the Forsythe Farm Homestead, where their first child, Eldred Melvin, was born, March 10, 1910. In February, 1916, they moved to the Willam Clark farm home, and a daughter, Ruth May, was born there October 6, 1916.
On December 18, 1925, William died of a heart attack in the timber of the Spring Creek farm, where Howard, Budd, and Carl were cutting wood. William loved timber and shared with his sons the joy of hunting and fishing there.
Howard Clark and his wife, Jessie, farmed the 100 acres passed down from Robt. and William Clark. This was depression era, and Howard supplemented his farm income by trapping, breeding coon dogs, working on the railroad, and driving trucks for the Onarga canning factory.
Howard retired from farming in 1949 and died at the farm home on May 14, 1952.
Howard's wife, Jessie, remained at the farm until October of 1954, when she moved to Onarga.
Since his death, the Clark farm has become the Howard Clark Estate, jointly owned by his widow, Jessie; son, Eldred; and daughter, Ruth Clark Chaney.
(transcribed by Carrol Mick from The History of Iroquois County, page 219)