ROSE HILL WRITTEN UP
Village has a Poetical Name and is the Home of a Thrifty People
RELIGIOUS AND SOCIAL
Side of the Community Compares Favorably with that of any other Place - Busy Little City
Rose Hill, one of the live villages of Jasper County, is in Crooked Creek township eight miles northeast of Newton, the county seat and has between three and four hundred inhabitants. The original settlement and government entry was made by Doctor Harris, whose son, Addison Harris, in 1854 laid out what was then known as Harrisburg, but has since been changed to Rose Hill the present name. The first postoffice however, was established in 1839 and was known as Plainfield. The location of the office being about one mile from where Harrisburg stood. After the building of the railroad in 1878 the town was named Rose Hose and the postoffice moved to that place. The first house in this section was built of logs and served the composite purpose of the grocery store, saloon, hotel, family residence and a general rendezvous for the settlers as the county gradually became populated. The early settlers were hardy fellows and drank whisky, served the Lord, or fought with each other with equal gusto. The principal recreations of those days were cock fights and shooting matches and were usually terminated by a hilarious drunk in which broken heads and highly decorated countenances were largely in evidence. The first house in Harrisburg was built by William Kibler who afterward moved to Charleston and died there a few years ago.
Among the early settlers was Doctor Sam Williams, now living in Casey whose experience in buying a dog is one of the standard jokes in the archives of early history.
Rose Hill was incorporated as a village in 1900 with the following officers:
President - Wm. H. Glasener
Clerk - William Casey
Treasurer - Henry Dultan
Police - Frank Baker
Trustees - J. S. Elder, A. J. Dulgar, Reuben Foltz, William Mills and W. W. Wooldridge
The present board is:
President - D. T. Hall
Clark, - W. J. Brush
Treasurer - William Quiett
Trustees - Robert Davidson, D. M. Cowger, J. H. Brooks, G. A. Cox and Benton Jones
The Methodist society have a neat church in the west part of town at this time under the pastoral care of Rev. J. K. Hugo. The preaching services are well attended and are held every two weeks. The Sunday school, under the efficient superintendency of George Winter, is largely attended not only by the young people but the older ones as well.
The public schools are in charge of Prof. Otto Cummins principal with Miss Lillian James is the primary department. Mr. Cummins has served as principal for two years and is already employed for another year. Miss James has been in the primary department for three years but has decided to go to Effingham for another year at a largely increased salary. Both teachers are well qualified for their work and the school in discipline and progress ranks well in the county. The state course of study is used. The morals and the education of the rising generation of Rose Hill are carefully cared for and with its many natural advantages the village will soon rank as one of the model villages of Southern Illinois.
Among the wide business men we make special mention of W. J. Brush, the present efficient village clerk and progressive business man. Mr. Brush was born in Newton April 21, 1879 and 17 years ago moved near Rose Hill on a farm. While living on the farm he was married to Miss Ada Byrd, one child a bright little girl three years old, has blessed the union.
Three years ago Mr. Brush sold his farming interests and decided to move to town and engage in mercantile business. His success has been phenomenal and today he ranks as one of Jasper county's live business young men. His store room is located on Main street just west of the I. C. Railroad and he carries a full stock of general merchandise that embraces everything from a fish hook to the finest line of dress goods. Mr. Brush is a strong believer in secret societies and holds membership in the Odd Fellows, Woodmen, Court of Honor and has taken the first degree of Masonry.
F. M. Land, Rose Hill's police magistrate, was born in Crooked Creek township, Jasper county, Illinois in 1854. After reaching his majority he was engaged in railway work and was employed at different times on the Clover Leaf, Vandalia, Illinois Central and Big Four systems. Mr. Land was married to his first wife August 17, 1882 who only lived a short time. He was again married June 8, 1894 to Miss Ida Wycoff who is still living. Mr. Land was elected police magistrate three years ago and in addition to the duties of this office runs a general collection agency and a boot and shoe repair shop. Mr. Land is a prominent Odd Fellow and one of Rose Hill's progressive business men.
The duties of his office are filled with ability and integrity and any business interested to him will receive prompt and careful attention.
Charles E. Pitt was born in October 1878. He received his education in the public schools and later entered the railroad office at Dugger, Ind., where under the careful instruction of D. J. Griffith, he received a thorough knowledge of telegraphy and railroad work. Mr. Pigg's first station was at Lebanon, Ind., where he was employed for a time when he was returned to Dugger and served as assistant to Mr. Griffith until the latter's death. He was placed in charge of the I. C. station at Rose Hill February 3rd of this year and is becoming very popular with the patrons of the road. Mr. Pigg was married March 15, 1903 to Lilly M. Barnes of Green county, Indiana and moved his family to Rose Hill a few weeks ago. Mr. and Mrs. Pigg were valuable additions to the social and business life of Rose Hill and will probably be identified with the interests of the thriving little city for many years.
THE BROOKS MILLING COMPANY is composed of three members, J. H. Brooks, Charles Sutton and B. S. Gawthorpe all live wide awake business men. The senior members of the firm:
J. H. Brooks was born and raised on a farm in Crooked Creek township, Jasper county, Illinois. His parents Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Brooks were early settlers and hardy, thrifty, God-fearing people. The subject of this sketch is 30 years of age, married and resides in Rose Hill where he has been engaged in business for eight years, running at present a complete hardware store and controlling interest in the milling company. The mill building was erected about twenty years ago by a Mr. McConnell, but in the last few years has been completely remodeled and new machinery added for the mill and a grain elevator built. The first buy and sell hay, grain and seeds as well as the products of the mill. They also carry a large line of buggies, wagons and farm machinery.
The capacity of the mill is 40 barrels per day and the elevator will easily store 5,000 bushels of grain. All the flour made is used by home customers at present but as the demand increases, additional facilities will be added. Mrs. Brooks is a member of the town board, is a prominent republican and an influential member of the I. O. O. F. and M. W. A. His high standing in the community is based on his merit and he well deserves the confidence imposed in him.
J. E. Spencer is another Jasper county boy that ranks high as a man and a citizen. He was born two miles from Rose Hill August 17, 1878 and was married to Miss Ada Brooks January 28, 1900. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have two children, a boy and a girl. The family resided on a farm until about five months ago, when they moved to Rose Hill and Mr. Spencer opened a well stocked hardware store, carrying a full line of hardware store, carrying a full line of hardware, tinware, wire, etc. Mr. Spencer was educated in the rural schools but also enjoyed the advantages of a five year course in the Newton high school. His father died when the subject of this sketch was but one year old but his mother is still living and resides on the hold home place 2 miles from Rose Hill.
Mr. Spencer's business is rapidly growing, and his sterling honesty and general courtesy will insure him a successful business career.
E. J. Flocken, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Flocken, was born in Rose Hill February 21, 1870. Mr. Flocken was educated in the public schools and also enjoyed the advantages of a course in the Terre Haute commercial college from which institution he was graduated in 1894. After leaving commercial school Mr. Flocken entered the railroad office at Rose Hill and under the efficient tutelage of William W. Wooldridge, now agent of the Central at Greenup, received a thorough course in railway station business and became a rapid and accurate telegraph operator. He was placed in charge of the night office at Toledo in 1902 but resigned August 9 and returned to Rose Hill where in partnership with J. T. Cox he purchased the general merchandise store of J. G. Madden. The firm carry boots and shoes, groceries, etc., in fact everything they keep in a first class department store is sold by this firm. In addition to the other business Mr. Flocken conducts an undertaking establishment. Our reporter was informed that Mr. Flocken is contemplating a change and will give him the entire charge of the business. But whether alone or in partnership with another is not known. Mr. Flocken's eminent business ability will make him an important factor in the business world of the community in which he has cast his lot.
M. S. Cowger. The servants of "Uncle Sam" are as a rule very capable and in the post office at Rose Hill he has placed one of his best men in the person of M. S. Cowger. Mr. Cowger was born in Rush county, Ind., March 9, 1844 but came with his parents to Illinois in 1854. At the beginning of the civil war he enlisted in Co. K, 21st Illinois infantry, "Grant's old regiment" and served until February 26, 1864 when he was discharged but immediately re-enlisted and served with distinction until his final discharge in January, 1866, at the close of the war, with the rank of sergeant. In April of '67 Mr. Cowger was married to Miss Martha J. McDaniel who died October 9, 1875. In October 1877 he was again married to Miss Leonora Stubbins. Mr. Cowger has served as town clerk and justice of the peace, is a member of the Masonic fraternity the G. A. R., and I. O. O. F. His appointment as postmaster dates from April 12, 1878 and the establishment of the rural routes from Rose Hill are largely the results of his efforts.
William Quiett owns one of the largest and best selected stocks of hand and machine made harness in the county. The major part of his stock, however, is how own work and no better harness is made in the state. He also carries a full line of saddles, whips and everything kept in a first class harness store. Mr. Quiett was born in Coles county, Illinois west of Mattoon 26 years ago and was educated at what is known as the Dole school house. Mr. Quiett is married and his one child, a boy, who gives promise of being an unusually bright young man. Mr. Quiett began the harness business in October 1901 and is located west of the I. C. depot. He is recognized as one of the Rose Hill's most progressive citizens.
BLUE VINE HOTEL in charge of Landlord J. W. Elder is a first class hostelry and furnishes a meal that will satisfy the most fastidious epicure. Mr. Elder has been a resident of Jasper county for 40 years and is the oldest thresherman in Jasper county, if not in the state, having run a threshing machine for 25 successive years. The same energy that made his signal success in other business will insure his continued success in hotel business and the Blue Vine with its 17 well appointed room will never look for patronage.
J. N. Brooks was born in Jasper county sixty-three years ago and for forty-six years has been chiefly engaged in milling. He is recognized as the best "corn miller" in the state and meal made by the Eureka mill, Mr. Brooks's started the "Eureka" about a year ago and the plant is kept busy to its full capacity. Mr. Brooks was married in 1865 to Miss Melissa Williams and has three children living. He is an ancient Odd Fellow and fills acceptably the office of justice of the peace.
J. W. Hutton, M. D. was born near Lexington, Ky., in 1876. He was educated in high schools, graduating from the celebrated school at Moorehead, Ky. Mr. Hutton began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. B. F. Eckman of Covington, Ky., and after a thorough course of reading with this famous practitioner, entered the Ohio medical college at Cincinnati, where he took two courses. The doctor then attended the Barnes Medical College of St. Louis from which he was graduated with high honors in 1899. He again attended the same college taking a Post Graduate course in 1900. Doctor Hutton first located in Vandalia but came to Rose Hill August 29, 1900, where he has a large and rapidly growing practice. A few weeks ago his office was destroyed by fire but with the characteristic energy he is fast replacing the loss, although it will require time to replace his large library and costly apparatus that was destroyed. Doctor Hutton is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, M. W. A., Royal Neighbors, Court of Honor and Sons of Veterans.
D. M. Cowger was born near Rose Hill January 31, 1867 and after reaching his majority was a successful farmer until he was 29 years old when he sold his farming interests and moved to town and engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Cowger was married August 17, 1886 to Miss Louisa Lee and to them have been born five children, three girls and two boys. Mr. Cowger is a member of the Court of Honor and the I.O.O.F. lodges. By his own effort he has reached a competence, owning a farm in Fayette county benefits his Rose Hill interests. The name of D. M. Cowger has always been synonymous with the most rigid honor in private life and business life. He carries a large stock of general merchandise and carries a large and carefully selected stock that has been especially chosen to meet the wants of his patrons. Mr. Cowger is ably assisted in the store by
G. C. Winter who has been associated with him for seven years. Mr. Winter is a native of Ohio was born in Cincinnati December 25, 1849. Mr. Winter is married and has a family of five boys and one girl. He is one of the leading members of the Methodist church and is the efficient superintendent of the Sabbath school. He came to Illinois in 1866 and was married near Rose Hill, his wife's maiden name being Martha J. Stout. Mr. Winter is an ideal salesman, a Christian gentleman and one whose influence is always given for the uplifting of humanity.
H. A. Elder was born in Shelbyville, Ind., June 13, 1876, came to Illinois in 1887 and resided in Effingham for one year when he came to Rose Hill where he has since resided and followed the trade of contractor and builder. Mr. Elder was married seven years ago to Miss Alta Foltz. They have two children both girls. Mr. and Mrs. Elder are highly respected and influential citizens. About six months ago J. P. Ewart of Greenup decided to open a lumber yard in Rose Hill and wisely decided to place the business in Mr. Elder's charge. New sheds 160 feet long by 54 feet wide have been built south of the L. C. depot and adjoining the right of way. The sheds and office are not fully completed but already a full stock of lumber, lath, lime, paint, shingles and builders hardware is on hand ready for the spring trade. When fully completed Rose Hill will have one of the best lumber yards in the county and in charge of a man who not only fully understands the business but will furnish material at prices that will make it an object for builders to get estimates. A call on Mr. Elder will not disappoint any prospective buyer.
We have not named all the business men of Rose Hill but have tried to show that this live village offers opportunities for a location in a live town and among good people.