Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
1909 Chronicle 2006
Submitted By: Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
1909-1911 -- Rev. C.R. Reedy organized and named Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church on December 4, 1909, as served as the first Pastor. The first Shiloh Baptist Church building was erected on Vaught Street and 11th on the property deeded by Pastor Reedy and his wife Eliza. It was built across from the Washington School, which was the only school where African American children could attend at that time. Pastor Reedy served for two years until God moved him to another calling.
1911-1912 -- Rev. John Bruin was elected Pastor and served for 10 years. With the Assistance of eight members, Pastor Bruin reorganized and renovated Shiloh.
1921 -- Rev. Mills of Kentucky was elected Pastor. A record of his tenure is unavailable; however Shiloh is grateful to God for the time he served. We are certain that Pastor Mills did all he could to the glory of God.
1922-1924 -- Rev. W. M. Moody was elected Pastor and served for two years.
1924-1930 -- Rev. W. C. Chambliss was elected Pastor and served for six years.
1930 -- Rev. R. H. Huggins was elected Pastor. A record of his tenure is unavailable.
1931-1946 -- Rev. T. H. Miller was elected Pastor and served for three years.
1946-1961 -- Rev. L.A. Robinson of Centralia, Il was elected Pastor and served faithfully for 15 years. Pastor Robinson was instrumental in getting Shiloh Actively involved in the Mount Olive Baptist District and State Baptist Association.
1962-1991 -- Rev. Alexander Dawson was elected Pastor and served for 29 years -- the longest tenure as Pastor in Shiloh's history thus far. He was a faithful and dedicated man of God, whose dynamic leadership led Shiloh through many accomplishments. The church of Vaught Street and 11th was sold and for two years worship service was conducted in the parsonage. Shiloh purchased property at 1015 Conger Street and dedicated it in August 1972 and held the Church Mortgage Ceremony November 1982. The Food Pantry was established in 1985 and the Bus Service in 1986. God called Pastor Dawson home in September 1991.
1992-1999 -- Rev. Claude Russell Jr. was elected Pastor and served for seven years. Under Pastor Russell's leadership Shiloh continued to make additions, renovations, and purchases. A wheelchair ramp and PA system were installed, the ladies restroom and kitchen were remodeled, a new van, computer and copier were purchased, and pews and carpet were paid off. More importantly, spiritual growth abounded. The Christian Education Department established New Membership Orientation classes for adults and children; the Mission Department expanded and registered with the Jefferson County Social Services Directory. Shiloh continues to provide outreach services to many families and individuals in the community.
In 1993, the Food Pantry grew and registered with the State and Federal Government to provide food for the community. It grew and provided food for upwards to 1189 families. Thirty-seven converts were baptized 4 couples were joined in Holy Matrimony, 24 memberships were restored, and 40 individuals were united with the Shiloh Family.
In December 1998, Sister Jegenna Hudgins was the first woman in Shiloh's history to be appointed to the Board of Trustees.
On March 18, 1999 the Church was destroyed by fire. Worship service was held at the Sunshine Center on March 21, 1999. On April 11, 1999 worship service was held at Jackson's Funeral Chapel, where Pastor Claude Russell Jr. preached his last sermon as Pastor.
1999 Rev. Robert James was called as Interim Pastor. "And we know that all things work together for the good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:23 Under his 1 leadership two lots were purchaws across the street from the Conger Street site for additional parking for the reconstructed church. Demolition began on the burned remains of the church on May 27th.
On July 18th Shiloh's members voted to hold services at 1611 South 10th Street. A Building Research Committee was formed to view other churches to recommend building specifications to the membership.
On September 12th, Sister Mary and Danielle were the first to join Shiloh Under Christian experience after the church fire. On November 16th, Shiloh stepped into a new century of faith with a Groundbreaking Service at 1015 Conger Street.
2000 -- On March 3rd, a Pastor's Search Committee was formed. On November 22, the property at 1104 Conger Street began to be used as The Church Parsonage
2001 February 2nd -- Rev. Keith Pittman's letter of resignation was read to, and accepted by the members. Rev. Lawerence James became Interim Pastor. On March 4th, the Interim Pastor James and the congregation dedicated the new church building to God and held the first Worship Service. On the weekend of April 20-21, Brother Roscoe Allen served as coordinator of the first Southern Illinois Black College Expo at Shiloh. On August 3rd Rev. Herman Armstrong was the guest speaker at the Citywide Church Dedication Program.
August 3, 2001 -- Present, Interim Pastor Lawerence James was elected Pastor.
On August 7-9, the first Annual Session of the Mount Olive District was hosted at Shiloh.
On August 13th, Installation Ceremony for Pastor Lawrence James was held Rev. Ronald Lash of Corinthian Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, Il was the guest speaker.
On September 16, the first Annual Women's and Men's Day Program was held in the new sanctuary. Rev. Franklin Stone of Unity Missionary Baptist Church in Brookport, Il was the guest speaker. Deacon Mose Stokes and Sister Lula Belle Jennings were the program chairs. On October 14th, the first Birthday Fellowship Dinner was held after morning service and will be held quarterly.
On October 28th, The Spiritual Travelers were the guest group for the first Usher Board Musical. Sister Pearline Moore, President of the Usher Board was the Program Chair.
October 30 - November 1st, the first Fall Revival under the leadership of Rev. James was held. Guest ministers were Rev. Herman Bankhead of Second Baptist Church in Centralia, Il, Rev. Donald Stewart of Paul's Chapel in Marion, Il, and Rev. Robert James of Mount Taber in Sandusky, Illinois.
On November 25th, Shiloh celebrated the first church Anniversary Program in the new sanctuary. Pastor James Jackson of Shiloh Baptist Church in Murphysboro, Il was the guest speaker.
2002 On January 27th, Sister Barbara Green was appointed the first Head of Shiloh's Nursery and Children's Church.
On February 9th, the first Charles Drew Blood Drive was held for children in Illinois and Missouri suffering from Sickle Cell Anemia. The blood drive was held twice a year in honor of Kim Anderson, who died from the disease. Kim was the granddaughter of Hattie Sanders and Edna Edwards.
On July 5th, Pastor and Sister james renewed their wedding vows. And on July 15th, the financially successful Helicopter Ride Fundraiser Event was held.
Only August 11th, Pastor and Sister Lawerence James celebrated their first Anniversary. His father, Rev. Robert James brought the message for the morning Worship Service. Rev. James Vincent of First Baptist Church in Murphysboro, Il brought the message in the afternoon.
On August 14th, the home-going service for Sister Willie Mae Tucker was the first in Shiloh's new home. The service was made more special when her granddaughter, Tara Todd, from California decided to be baptized. Even in her death, Sister Tucker still helped save souls.
On August 17th, the first Prayer Breakfast. Sister Emma Jean Hawthorne served as chair, and her daughter Evangelist Candace Cook was the guest speaker.
On August 18th, Pastor James licensed Brother Willie Green to preach the gospel. He preached his first sermon from Jeremiah 17:9 Luke 16: 19-31 and Romans 19:9 on "It's the Junk in the Attic that's causing All the Static".
2003 October 12th, First Mother Board Service held here. Sister Marva Bledsoe of Centralia, Il was the guest speaker. Shiloh's Mother's Board consist of, Sister Edna Edwards, Sister Hattie Sanders, Sister Dorine Brantley, Sister Lula Belle Jennings, Sister Annie Edwards and Sister Eba Watson.
November 23rd, to date, under Rev. Lawerence James leadership, 96 souls have been added to the Church and 6 weddings have been performed.
2004 November 21st, Ordination Service for Minister Willie Green, was held. It was truly a spirit filled occasion, with the sermon "Secured Living in a Shattering World" coming from Reverend Darryl Cox of First Baptist Church in Cairo, Illinois.
2005 February, Shiloh was blessed to add a Praise Team, to it's ministry. This was the creation of Sister Barbara Green, Sister Consider Sanders and Sister April Disroe. Their first performance was at Shiloh's Black History Program, which will become an annual event.
Shiloh has also been blessed to add to their ministries the following: Walk with Jesus Program, held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 6-7pm. For that one hour we are able to exercise to upbeat Christian music.
Basketball Open Gym Program, held every Tuesday and Thursday from 6-8pm. This program is headed by Brother Frank Sanders.
Singles Ministry Class, held on the Fridays before the second and fourth Sunday. This class is taught by Sister Mozella Stokes.
Marriage Minsitry Class, held also on the Fridays before the second and fourth Sunday. This class is taught by Deacon Claude Brantley, and his wife, Dorine.
Nurse's Auxillary, this was implemented into Shiloh's Ministry on Sunday, November 6, 2005. Members that are part of this ministry are Sisters Emma Jean Hawthorne, Kim Tucker, Joyce Farmer, Amanda Jennings, Jasmine Hawthorne and Brother Don Doggan.
2006 Deacon's Ordination Service, on Sunday, July 30th, Shiloh was blessed to add two more Deacons. Deacon Jesse Bowden and Deacon Don Doggan. Rev. James Jackson was over the service.
Shiloh's Community Outreach Program, to date has served 848 meals to neighborhood children. And has also started an Martial Arts Program under the direction of Brother Thomas Bryant.
Shiloh's Junior Choir, was formed by Sister Consider Sanders and Sister April Disroe.
We have come through some hard times, test and trials but trouble don't last always. In times of trouble, God has been right there to see us through the storms. It is only God's love that keeps us growing strong, holding on, and standing tall. We are thankful for a God who is loving, all knowing, omniscient, omnipresent, almighty with unlimited power and omnipotent. His grace is sufficient and his blessing extend to all time. We are continually blessed by him and will stand on his promises, if it is his will, another 97 blessed years.
CHURCH INDEX -- HOME
©2010 and prior, Cindy Ford (all rights reserved)