The early physicians of Jefferson County were men who had studied under preception for a number of years and recieved such instructions and information as their preceptors could impart. This equipped them just about as well as if they had attended a medical school in those early days, because practically all the information they could recieve at the schools was through lecture courses. These schools had no labratories, autopsies were not permitted to discover the causes of death, and subjects for disection could only be secured by robbing the newly made graves.
There was no law in Illinois prior to 1877 to prevent any one from practicing medicine who so desired, as no license was required. In 1877, a law was passed in this state preventing anyone from practicing medicine until they had secured a license from the State Board of Health. The requisite for this license was they should be a graduate of an approved medical school, or should have been actively engaged in the practice of medicine for ten years prior to the passage of this law.
List of Early Diseases and their Common Names
Dr. N. R. Casey
Dr. William H. Short
Dr. Thomas Johnson
Charles K. Wells
Jefferson County Medical Association
Top Row: W.R. Ross, O.A. Suttle, J.A. Clark, A.W. Modert, J.W. Hamilton, S.A. Thompson, Moss Maxey, L.C. Morgan, A.M. Frost
Bottom Row: Robt. R. Smith, H.M. Swift, Wm. G. Parker, C.J. Poole, Chas. Hall
Jefferson County Dental Association
Top Row: W. E. Setzekorn, John J. Corlew, M.M. Lumbattis, B.B. Tatman
Bottom Row: R.G. Miller, Aurthur Iron, M.N. McAtee, G.H. Herbert
Early Doctors in Jefferson County, Illinois
Dr. Willoughby Adams
Dr. Willoughby ADAMS has also been mentioned as one of the early excellent physicians to locate in Jefferson County. He came here in the early Twenties and located first in the small village of Mt. Vernon where he followed his profession.
Later he located in Dodds Township on the old Goshen Road, southeast of Mt. Vernon some four or five miles. His services were valuable, as the ague was a frequent visitor in every household. He was also reputed to be a good surgeon for those days. On one occasion, some men who had visited a grocery at Ham's Grove, where they sold intoxicating liquors, became embroiled in a general fight. One man who had an old hawk-billed knife raked his antagonist across the abdomen cutting through his overcoat, all of his clothing and through the abdominal walls until the intestines were protruding. He was carried up to Dr. Adams' home where the doctor dressed him, sewed up the wound and the patient recovered.
His popularity grew in the estimation of the people, and as early as 1841 he was chosen as one of the county commissioners, in which capacity he served with honor and was frequently re-elected. In 1849 he was chosen Associate Justice of the County Court. This position he filled for many years. He was the first practicing physician in Dodds Township and was also the first county surveyor. He erected a home on the old Goshen Road near what is now Arnold Cemetery. The chimney was built of stones, and one large stone had engraved on it "1833" which was probably the year it was erected.
Uncle John Mills, who died in Dodds Township a few years ago at the age of 103, married a daughter of Dr. Adams.
At his own request, he was buried a short distance from his residence, where more of his family are sleeping the sleep that knows no waking, in Arnold Cemetery.
[Source: "Jefferson County History Historical Bureau", Page H18 - H19, © 1962 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. D. H. Arendale
Dr. D. H. Arendale, a well known physician of Mount Vernon, Illinois, was born May 28, 1857, in Marion county, Tennessee, one-half mile from the Alabama state line. His early schooling was quite primitive, having been obtained in the log school-houses of those days, in which split logs were used for seats and other similar furnishings. His first effort to gain a livelihood was in carrying produce on horseback, often a distance of twelve miles, seeking a market for various kinds of farm products, and he always succeeded in getting good prices. He was always at work what time he was not in school, having left the log school-house when seventeen years old and desiring to become a doctor he entered Burritte College in Tennessee in 1874 and was accredited with being the most industrious pupil in that school. At a meeting of the faculty a few days before the close of the term it was agreed that Mr. Arendale was the best student in the school. In 1875 and 1876 he attended Doran's Cove high school, where he studied so assiduously that he seriously impaired his nervous system, having never completely recovered from the effects of the over-work he did there. While here he mastered most of the higher branches of mathematics, such as geometry and trigonometry, and at the close of the school was designated by the president of Pikeville College as a suitable pupil to demonstrate mathematical work, which he did to the entire satisfaction of all. In 1877 he was tendered a professorship in the William and Emma Austin College at Stevenson, Alabama, and he also taught in the free schools of Alabama and Tennessee giving entire satisfaction to both patron and pupil. When only eighteen years old he applied to the trustees of a country school, who informed him that it had always required a bearded man to teach their school, but our subject asked to be "tried out" which was done and he taught the school to the end of the term in a most gratifying manner, having among his pupils one boy who weighed over two hundred pounds whom he taught his letters. This was the Island Creek, south of Bridgeport, Alabama.
In 1880 our subject raised a cotton crop, working early and late in order to get enough money together to defray expenses in a medical college. His close application to farm work in Jackson county, Alabama, further demonstrated his determination to succeed, and, useless to say that his subsequent studying of medicine resulted in the acquisition of a carefully trained mind in this line.
He was a private student under Doctor Westmoreland at Atlanta, Georgia, where he received most of his medical training and while there he was complimented by the professor of anatomy in the state medical school upon his profound information in minute anatomy. Doctor Arendale took a course of medicine at Nashville, Tennessee. This was after he had tried to practice medicine at Elk Prairie, Jefferson county, Illinois, where he came in October, 1882. On the day after his arrival while passing the Quinn school-house just as the school closed for the day, noticing a very beautiful young girl among the pupils our subject inquired of Francis Cox, who was driving him, who the young lady was. Upon being told that she was Miss Louie Bodine, he replied, "That's my wife." In less than two months they were engaged and were married in the following month of June, the young couple spending their honey-moon that summer at the subject's old home in Tennessee, and his bride accompanied him to Nashville, when school opened the following fall, where she assisted him with his school work and did her part in economizing. Toward the close of the term their money ran out and they had a hard time to live, having to borrow money of the instructors in the college to defray part of their expenses back to Illinois, having settled in Elk Prairie among their relations. Doctor Arendal fitted up an old building in which they started housekeeping. Although almost poverty stricken and in poor health, resulting in too close application to study, our subject was too self-reliant to ask for help and for the first two years of his married life he never knew one day where he would get something to eat for the following day, maintaining his office in his residence an old stable. In 1886 he was appointed postmaster at Elk Prairie and conditions took a better aspect. This was during Cleveland's administration. Doctor Arendale purchased an acre of ground and erected a three room house on it, using the front room as post-office and also keeping a few articles to sell, his stock of goods having been obtained by giving a fifty-dollar note with his mother-in-law for security. His stock consisted of very small quantities of such materials as were used by his neighbors, such as coal oil, which he first purchased in quantities of one gallon at a time, his first stock of tobacco consisting of one dollar and fifty-five cents' worth, and his stock of dry-goods was a half bolt of light shirting, five cent calico. But prosperity came and he soon afterwards purchased such articles in lots of one hundred dollars' worth and his practice having grown in the meantime, he was enabled in the course of two years by his practice, the profits in the store and his salary as postmaster to accumulate the sum of two thousand dollars.
Prosperity has attended the efforts of our subject since those days and he observed the larger opportunities that were to be found at the county seat, Mount Vernon, where he moved.
Since locating in Mount Vernon he has practically retired from the active practice of his profession and has devoted his time and attention to real estate and the management of the Palace Hotel, the latter being one of the leading and most successful in the city, recently rebuilt and refurnished. Through hard work, economy and self-denial the doctor and his wife have accumulated a competency, owning valuable property in Mount Vernon in addition to profitable investments in California.
[Source: "History of Jefferson County", By: John A. Wall © 1909 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. S. B. Bogan
Dr. S. B. Bogan was born in Grand Prairie Township, Jefferson County, Ill., January 24, 1853, and is the son of Henry M. and Elizabeth (Casey) Bogan. He is a native of Virginia, and a brother of John S. Bogan. She is the daughter of Samuel Casey. Our subject is one of a family of six children, all of whom are still living. His early life was spent in assisting to till the soil on the old home farm.
At the age of eighteen years, he was sent to Irving College,where he remained for two years; he then went to Columbia College, Washington, D.C. where he took the degree of B.S. He then attended medical lectures at the same institution, and graduated with honor in the medical department. In 1876, the Doctor wishing to remain in his native county, located at Woodlawn, and began the practice of his profession. Here he was very successful, but, in 1880, he decided to change his location to Rome, where he now resides, and has built up a good practice in his new field.
September 1, 1880, he was married to Miss Louisa Casey, a native of this county, and daughter of Robert Casey, of Rome. The result of this union is one child Pearl Irene. Dr. Bogan is a member of the Rome Lodge, No. 721, A., F. & A., M., and also the W. H. Hubbard R. A. Chapter of Mount Vernon. In politics, he is a Democrat, having followed in the footsteps of his ancestors.
[Source: "History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin , © 1883 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. Robert Blum
Dr. Robert Blum, a dentist was born July 23, 1842, in Southeastern Russia, and is a son of A. and Julia (Schultz) Blum, both natives of Russia; he born in 1812, and she in 1818. The parents came to this country, with their family, in 1844, and first settled in Galveston, Texas, where the father dealt in furs for a number of years. At present he is a merchant in Tarpen Springs, Fla., and since his advent in this country he has made and lost three good fortunes. Subject is the youngest of three living children Edward A., Amalia G. and Robert out of a family of fourteen children.
The schools of New Orleans and St. Louis afforded our subject his means of education. While in the latter city, he apprenticed himself to a dentist there, and learned his profession. He afterward practiced dentistry in DuQuoin and Cairo, and in 1872 he came to Mt. Vernon, where he has followed his profession since. He was married, June 4, 1867, in DuQuoin, to Miss Alice Spotts, born February 8, 1844 in Greene County, Ill, and a daughter of Samuel Spotts, born May 7, 1812, in Delaware, an architect and builder by profession. He died July 31, 1864. Five children have come to bless this union May O., born May 5, 1868; Albert and Alfred, twins born September 2, 1869; Robert A. born January 1, 1874 and Guy E., born February 6, 1881. Mr. Blum is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and in politics is a Democrat.
[Source: "History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin , © 1883 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. I. G. Gee
Dr. I. G. Gee was born in Simpson County, Ky., September 19, 1841. He is the son of William and Malinda (Billingsly) Gee. The father was born about 1810, in Barren County, Ky., his father having come from Virginia, and the mother was born February 24, 1816, in Warren County, Ky. In October, 1852, the the parents came to Illinois and settled in Perry County, near Tamaroa, and here subject recieved his education.
In the spring of 1863, he commenced reading medicine with Dr. W. Sims, of Tamaroa. After reading with that gentleman for six months, he went to the Eclectic Medical Institute, where except for a short time, he attended lectures until February, 1865, when he graduated from that institution and returned to Illinois, where he settled in Elk Prairie Township, Jefferson County. Here he has since remained in the practice of his chosen profession, which now extends over parts of Jefferson, Perry and Franklin Counties.
Our subject was joined in matrimony to Elzina J. Fitzgerrell on December 26, 1867. This lady is a native of this county, and is a daughter of J. J. Fitzgerrell. The result of this union has been five children, of whom three are now living Harl, Earl and Knox. Subject has served as Township Clerk, Highway Commissioner, and School Treasurer; is a member of Goode Lodge, No. 744, A. F. & A. M., of Franklin County, and of H. W. Hubbard Chapter, No. 160, Royal Masons, of Mount Vernon.
[Source: "History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin , © 1883 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. John C. Gray
Dr. John C. Gray began the practice of medicine in the early 1830's. This gentleman was apparently quite capable in the practice of medicine since many Doctors following him studied medicine under him. [Source: "History of Medicine in Jefferson County", By Charles K. Wells ©1968 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. Willis Duff Green
Dr. Willis Duff Green was born in Danville, Ky., January 18, 1821. His father, Dr. Duff Green, an eminent physician of that place , was the eldest son of Willis Green, who emigrated to Kentucky from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia about the year 1780. He is a brother of Judge W. H. Green, of Cairo, Ill. He was educated primarily at Center College, in his native town and was a classmate of Gen. John C. Breckenridge. Upon relinquishing college life, he began the study of medicine with his father, remaining under his preceptorship for a period of two years. He then, at the expiration of this time, attended the Medical Department of the Transylvania University, and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio. He then began the practice of his profession at Hartford, Ky., where he resided for a year and a half. He afterward practiced for two years in Pulaski, Tenn., removing subsequently, in 1846, to Mount Vernon, Ill., which has since been his home, and where he has been constantly and successfully occupied in the practice of his profession, which extends over the entire southern portion of the State.
In politics, he has invariably and consistently supported the principles and platforms of the Democratic party, and as the Breckenridge candidate for Congree, was defeated with the head of the ticket. He is a prominent member of the Odd Fellows of Illinois, and has officiated as Grand Master, also as a Representative to the Grang Lodge of the United States. He is noted for his generosity in charitable enterprises, and has always been an active and a zealous member of benevolent societies and organizations. He was President of the Mt. Vernon Railroad Company, until it was merged in the St. Louis & Southern Railroad, and in the performance of the important functions attendant on that office evinced the possession od admirable administrative powers. He is a man of Scholarly attainments, a skillful and reliable physician, and a useful member of the community amid which he is an esteemed and loved townsman. He was married, in 1844, to Corinne L. Morton, of Hartford, Ky.
[Source: "History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin , © 1883 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. Lemuel B. Gregory
Dr. Lemuel B. Gregory, born 1826, was another one of the pioneer physicians in Jefferson County. In Wm. Henry Perrin's History, written in 1883, he refers to Dr. Gregory as the Postmaster General of Loganville, which was a little post office situated northeast of Farrington some two or three miles. Through the influence of Dr. Gregory and John A. Logan, he secured this post office and named it in honor of Senator Logan.
Not only was Dr. Gregory an active and successful physician in that community, but he was an extensive farmer and stock raiser. Through his energy and economy he acquired from 1400 to 1500 acres of good land in Farrington Township. He began life without a dime, and what he acquired he was indebted to no one but himself. He came to Jefferson County when but a mere lad and his busy life was extended through all the hard times, the trials and hardships, to which the early settlers were subjected. While collector for his township, he told with delight that he collected nearly the entire revenue of the county in coon skins and deer skins which were a legal tender at the time.
Dr. Gregory attended the first school taught in Farrington Township. The teacher was Mr. Joseph Price. The house was a pole cabin about sixteen feet square, with slab seats and without any floor except the cold ground. The fire was built in the middle of the room, and around this "council fire" the pioneer boys and girls attained the wisdom and aspiration to fit them for after life. Dr. Gregory wore buckskin breeches and buckskin hunting-shirt, and on his way to school through the morning rain and snow and dew, his breeches, which were not very well tanned, would get wet and stretch out until they would be down under his feet. But, sitting around log-heap fire in that old school house, they would get dry and draw up nearly to his knees, thus displaying his "shapely shins", which had stood exposure to the elements until they were about like young scaley-barked hickories.
Farrington Township at that time was a great democratic stronghold but Dr. Gregory was a Republican, and he said that he hoped to make it a Republican township if he lived long enough. Dr. Gregory was quite active in public affairs. He served as supervisor from his township five terms and served as collector one term.
[Source: "Jefferson County History Historical Bureau" Page H19 - H20 © 1962 - Submitted By: Cindy Ford]
Dr. Andy Hall
The well known physician and surgeon to a brief review of whose career the following lines are devoted has attained worthy distinction in tile line of his calling and today he ranks among the eminent members of his profession, not only in the field to which the larger part of his practice has been confined, but he also enjoys a wide reputation throughout the state. While easily the peer of any of his professional associates in the general practice, he stands especially high in surgery, to which branch of the profession his fame securely rests.
[Source: Facts and Folks, Jefferson Co, IL © 1978, page 87 - Submitted by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Andy Hall is a native of Hamilton county, Illinois, as is also his father, Col. H. W. Hall, the latter for many years a successful farmer, but now living a retired life in the city of McLeansboro. Col. H. W. Hall served through the Mexican war in General Taylor's command, took part in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged and at the expiration of his period of enlistment retired from the army with the rank of quarter-master sergeant. At the breaking out of the great Rebellion he was among the first of the patriotic men of Hamilton county to respond to the call for volunteers and in that dread struggle he also earned an honorable record as a brave and gallant soldier. He was mustered into the army as captain Company A. Fortieth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and at the close of the war was mustered out as lieutenant colonel of his regiment. He was with his command through all of its varied expenences of campaign and battle, participating in many of the most noted engagements of the war, including Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, Jackson, Mississippi; Missionary Ridge and Kenesaw Mountain, the various engagements around Atlanta and after the fall of that stronghold marched with Sherman to the sea, thence through the Carolinas to the national capital, where he took part in the Grand Review, the closing scene of one of the greatest wars of which history has made record. At the battle of Missionary Ridge he was shot through the arm and in other actions had many narrow escapes as he was an intrepid soldier and ever ready to encounter danger while in the discharge of his duty. At the ripe old age of eighty four, he is now spending the evening of a Long and useful life in comfort and content, honored and esteemed by all who know him.
Andy & Anna Hall
circa 1898, in front of their residence at 1715 Broadway
John Hall, the doctor's grandfather, was a Kentuckian by birth, and among the early pioneers of Hamilton county. He too was a tiller of the soil, also worked for a number of years at the blacksmith trade and became one of the most respected and Influential citizens of the community in which he lived. He died at a ripe old age, but his memory is cherished as one who led the van of civilization into what is now among the most progressive and prosperous sections of Illinois. The maiden name of the doctor's mother was Julia McLean. She was born in Franklin county, lllinois, where her father settled many years ago, moving from his native state of Ohio. Mrs. Hall, who is of Scotch descent, is still living and hand in hand with her aged husband is moving onward toward the twilight of the journey's end, honored and esteemed by a large circle of friends.
Col. H. W. and Julia (McLean) Hall are the parents of nine children. Six of whom are living. namely: John C.. a practicing attorney. of McLeansboro; C. M. Hall, a farmer, of Dahlgren, Illinois; Mrs. R. M. Knight, of Hamilton county, Illinois; Dr. W. W. Hall, of McLeansboro', Mrs. John Norris, also of that city. and the subject of this review. The deceased members of the family were Dr. W. F., Maggie. and James P. Hall, all of whom grew to maturity, the first named becoming a successful physician and highly esteemed in his profession.
Dr. Andy Hall. whose birth occurred on January 10. 1865 was reared on a farm south of McLeansboro, and until seventeen years of age lived at home and assisted his father in varied duties of agriculture. After attending the country schools and the schools of McLeansboro until about eighteen years old he taught one year and then took a literary course in the Northern Illinois Normal School at Dixon. In 1887 he entered the medical department of the Northwestern University, Chicago. where he prosecuted his studies until 1890, in April of which year he was graduated with an honorable record, and the following June entered upon the practice of his profession at Mount Vernon, where in due time he gained recognition and his proportionate share of patronage. At the breaking out of the Spanish American war he was appointed surgeon of the Ninth Illinois infantry, with which he served with the rank of major and surgeon until the cessation of hostilities. While with the army he was stationed for a time at Springfield, Illinois, and Jacksonville, Florida, later at Savannah, Georgia, thence was transferred to Havanna, Cuba, where he remained four months, during which period his duties were very arduous and his success gratifying. He was mustered out of the service at Augusta. Georgia. and returning to Mount Vernon, resumed the practice of his profession, but at the expiration of five weeks closed his office and again joined the army and was sent to the Philippine Islands as a surgeon.
Doctor Hall achieved high distinction as a surgeon in that far off part of the world and performed many of the most difficult operations known to the profession, besides meeting with signal success in the treatment of diseases, not a few of which were peculiar to the tropical climate and difficult to combat. During his stay of a little more than a year he was stationed at San Isidro. Florida Blanca, Baler. Nova Liches and Mangatarem. serving in Funston's Brigade. Lawton's Division, and experienced many of the vicissitudes incident to military life in the tropics.
While serving as surgeon of the post at Baler he became a member of a scouting party which was scouring the forests for Filipinos. The doctor became separated from the balance of his party and while alone and unarmed with the exception of a revolver suddenly came upon a Filipino soldier armed with a Mauser rifle. who was standing guard over two priests of the Franciscan Brotherhood. The doctor got the drop on the Filipino and liberated the priests, who told him that they had been prisoners for more than a year. Their names were Juan Lopez and Felix Minaya.
Returning home via Japan and the Hawaiian Islands in the year 1900 the doctor reopened his office at Mount Vernon and it was not long until he was again at the head of an extensive and lucrative professional business, his ability as a surgeon and the prestige of his military service gaining for him a practice second to that of none of his compeers.
Sufficient has been stated to afford the reader an intelligent idea of Doctor Hall's eminent standing in the noble calling to which his life and energies are being devoted and it goes without the saying that he is now the peer of any of his professional brethren as a family physician, bringing into exercise all the gentleness, sympathy and moral rectitude required in such a nature. In the domain of surgery his success has gained for him almost a state wide reputation, as he is frequently called long distances to perform operations requiring a high degree of proficiency and skill and it is not extravagant praise to say that in his special line of practice he has few rivals and no superiors in the southern part of Illinois.
Among the most difficult and delicate of his professional work in Mount Vernon was the first successful ovariotomy operation, and the first successful operation for an intussusception ever performed in this part of the state, also the first successful removal of cataract by a local surgeon, besides a number of other operations calling for the highest order of surgical talent.
Although devoted to his profession and making it paramount to every other consideration, Doctor Hall has not been unmindful of his obligations to the community nor of the duties of citizenship. He takes an active interest in public affairs and for some years has been a recognized leader of the Republican party in Mount Vernon, having been elected Mayor of the city in 1897, but resigned the position the year following to enter the army. At this time he is a director of the Jefferson State Bank, a member of the City Library Board and a member of the local board of United States Pension Examining Surgeons, besides being identified with various other interests of more or less importance. Like the majority of enterprising public spirited men, the doctor is an ardent Mason and stands high in the order, being a leading member of the Blue Lodge and influential in other branches, including the Chapter and Commandery degrees. Professionally he is identified with a number of medical societies and associations, among which are the Jefferson County Medical Association, the Southern Illinois Medical Association, Illinois State Medical Association and the American Medical Association, with 811 of which he keeps in close touch and in the deliberations of the first two especially, he takes an active and prominent part.
The married life of Doctor Hall dates from January I. 1892, at which time he chose a wife and helpmeet in the person of Miss Anna L. Glazebrook, daughter of Joseph Glazebrook, a native of Kentucky, but long a resident of Jefferson county. This union has been blessed with three children, Marshall W., born August 17, l895 Andy, Jr., born April 14, 1896, and Wilford, who first saw the light of day August 12, 1904. Doctor and Mrs. Hall have a very interesting family and with their children form a well nigh ideal home circle. They belong to the Baptist church of Mount Vernon and are interested in all lines of religious work, and in the benevolent enterprises of the city. Their names are also well known in the best society circles of the community. [Source: Wall's "History of Jefferson Co., Il", 1909, pgs. 518-523 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Samuel H. Hilliard
Dr. Samuel H. Hilliard was born in Tensas Parish, La., January 10, 1851. His father, John D. Hilliard, is a native of New Hampshire, and resides in Carlyle, Ill. Our subject was educated in Washington Seminary, at Richview, Ill. He graduated from the Medical Institute, of Cincinnati, Ohio, in March, 1877. He came to this county in 1877, soon after graduation, and has built up a large and remunerative practice. Was married in 1879 to Miss Florence, daughter of Joseph F. Clark, of Farrington Township, this county. The Doctor owns 40 acres of land and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Source: ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. W. A. Hughey
Dr. W. A. Hughey was born March 9, 1836, in Crittenden County, Ky., son of John R. Hughey, a native of Virginia, a farmer. He came to this county in 1869, and is yet living here, having reached the ripe old of seventy years. The mother of our subject is Polly Ann (Crider) Hughey, a native of Kentucky; she is yet living and the mother of nine children. Our subject is principally self-educated, recieving his primary education in Kentucky. At the age of twenty-one he commenced the practice of medicine in Wayne County, Ill. He came to this county in 1857, and has been here most of the time since. He is yet following his profession in Belle Rive.
In September, 1861, he enlisted in the forty-eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company F, serving three years and three months. He participated in many thrilling battles, among others that of Ft. Donelson, Jackson, Mission Ridge, Atlanta and others. The Doctor taught one term of school after the war, and then farmed one year and finally took up the medical profession. He was married, in 1859, to Lois Smith, a native of this county, born November, 1840. She is the mother of eight children, viz., Rosa V., Isaac A., Thomas L. M., Sarah B. (deceased), John S., Lenora L., Joanna M. and Benjamin F. Mr. and Mrs. Hughey are religiously connected with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a Republican. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. William A. Jones
Dr. William A. Jones was born December 24, 1857, in Shiloh Township, Jefferson Co., Ill. His father, Samuel W. Jones, was a native of Indiana, where he was a farmer by occupation. He came here in the fall of 1857, farming nine years on Moore's Prairie, and finally moved back to Shiloh Township, where he had first settled. His father George Jones was a native of Virginia, but died in Indiana. The mother of our subject, Mary A. (Henry) Jones, was a native of Indiana; she is a daughter of John Henry; she is yet living, loved and respected by all who come in contact with her, and is the mother of nine children, viz., Nanny P. Wells, George H., Gilbert D., William A., John C., Mary E., Minnie M., Anna M., and Samuel S. (deceased).
Our subject was educated mostly in the common schools of Jefferson County. He attended medical lectures at the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, Mo., where he graduated March 4, 1880. After practicing ten months he removed to Mount Vernon February 1, 1881, where he is now engaged in the practice of his profession, enjoying the confidence and esteem of a large number of people in both town and country, and building for himself an enviable reputation. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Marion Lodge, No. 31. In politics, he has been identified with the Democratic party, and for the last two years has filled the office of County Physician with tact and ability. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Cinderrellus Koons
Dr. C. Koons was born July 16, 1849, in Athens, Ohio. His father, Jonathan Koons, is a native of Pennsylvania, and a farmer and mechanic by occupation. He came to Illinois in 1855, and is yet living in the north part of Franklin County. His father Peter Koons, was a native of Bedford County, Penn., near the old battle-field of Bloody Run. He was a farmer and died in Pennsylvania. The mother of our subject, Abigail (Bishop) Koons, was a native of New Hampshire, and died in Franklin County, Ill. She was a daughter of Rev. G. Bishop, a minister of the Baptist Church and one of the greatest revivalist in his day. Eight boys and two girls were the result of this happy union. Seven are now living Nalum W., James R., John A., George E., Joseph B., Quintillia Taylor and Cinderrellus, our subject, who recieved a common school education at Taylor Hill in Franklin County, and recieved his medical education at the American Medical College, St. Louis, Mo., graduating May 16, 1876, after which he followed his profession two years in Franklin County, and since 1878 in this county, being located in Belle Rive.
June 8, 1883, he located in Mt. Vernon where he now follows his profession. Dr. Koons was joined in matrimony, October 9, 1870, to Miss Sarah J. Border, born May 29, 1846, in Athens County, Ohio. Her parents Joseph and Jemima (Jones) Border, were natives of Ohio. Two children blessed this union Alice, deceased, and Nellie, born January 1, 1880. Dr. Koons has always been an ardent Republican. His two older brothers, S. B. Koons and J. R. Koons, were soldiers in our late war. The former died while in the army. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. William M.A. Maxey
Dr. William M. A. Maxey, the son of William T. Maxey, was born in Tennesee and was six years of age when the family moved to Illinois in 1818. He was reared amid the stirring scenes of the pioneer period, and when a young man bought timber from which he split nails at fifty cents per hundred to pay for his tuition for a few months at a subscription school, in which three fundamentals of "readin', writin' and 'rithmetic" constituted the course of study. Despite this limited intellectual discipline, however, he subsequently became not only one of the best informed men of the community but in due time read medicine and for more than forty years was one of the most successful physicians in Jefferson County. Medical men being few in those days caused a wide demand for his services, and it is said that his patients were scattered over three counties. In waiting on them he rode many hundred miles and was not infrequently absent from home three weeks while making his professional calls. He also devoted condiderable attention to agriculture, and his farm was one of the best improved and most productive of this county. For many years Captain S. T. Maxey, his son, had in his possession the old pair of saddle bags in which his father carried medicines to treat all diseases common to humanity in the early times, the leather being still strong and the contents of the bags the same as when he discontinued his practice, after his long and ardious service.
Dr. Maxey was not only a physician, but was a local minister. He died in Iowa in 1890, at the age of 78.
Dr. William M.A. Maxey was the grandfather of Olen Maxey and Mrs. Fred Upcraft of this city. [Source: Jefferson County History Historical Bureau, Page H17 - H18, 1962]
Dr. Ed Miller
This gentleman, who may be counted among our wide-awake physicians, was born August 16, 1847, in Jefferson County, Ill., son of John W. Miller, a native of Ohio, where he was a carpenter. He is now in the furniture business in Belle Rive, and his father, John J. Miller, a farmer and miller by occupation. The mother of our subject, Harriet N. (Dodridge) Miller, was a native of Ohio, and daughter of Enoch and Elizabeth (Miller) Dodridge. He a native of Virginia, a saddler, and she a native of Ohio, and born 1820, in Lawrence County, and died January 7, 1880. She was the mother of nine children, of whom three are now living John E., Dr. Merritte S. and Edward, our subject.
Dr. Miller received his primary education in his native county. He worked on his fathers farm till he was eighteen years old; he then worked at the carpenter's trade three years, and then kept a drug store in partnership with his brother, Dr. Merritte Miller, in Mt. Vernon. At the end of two years, they sold out to Ed Shepard, and both went to Kansas, where they remained about two years. In 1871, he returned to Jefferson County, where he read medicine with Dr. Eaton, and the following year entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, graduating in February, 1878, after which he returned to Belle Rive, where he commenced the practice of his noble profession. He is yet following it, enjoying the esteem and confidence of the people. He was joined in matrimony, August 8, 1876, in Opdyke, to Miss Anna J. Barbee, born June 17, 1858, in this county, daughter of William and America (Harshbarger) Barbee. She is the mother of two children -- Walter F., deceased, and Lizzie A., born July 24, 1878. Dr. Miller is an active member of the Masonic fraternity, Belle Rive Lodge, No. 696, also a member of the O. I. H. He is identified with the Republican party. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. J. H. Mitchell
Dr. John H. Mitchell was born March 15, 1850, in Blairsville, Ind., and is a son of Dr. S.M. and Martha A. (Harrison) Mitchell. The grandfather of our subject, Sion H. Mitchell, was a native of North Carolina, and was a teacher by profession. He came West and died in Raleigh, Ill. The father was born in Tennessee; recieved his medical education in the Rush Medical College, Chicago; has practiced in Corinth and Blairsville, Ind., and at present leads in the latter place a retired life, his practice being carried on by his son Henry C. The mother was a native of Evansville, Ind. Subject is one of six children John H., Audubon Q., Martha J. Jones, Henry C., George O. and Thomas M. His education was recieved in Corinth, Ind., and afterward at McKendree College. His professional learning was obtained at the Rush Medical College, from which institution he graduated in 1874. He first located at his home, where he shared his father's practice until 1879, and then came to his present location at Mt. Vernon, Ill, where he has followed his profession ever since.
Mr. Mitchell was married April 30, 1874, in Elk Prairie Township, Jefferson County, Ill., to Miss Sarah E. Fitzgerrell a native of this county, being born here December 9, 1854, and a daughter of James J. and Patsey A. (Martin) Fitzgerrell. Three children have blessed this union James M., born February 16, 1875; John S. and Thomas J., twins; born August 10, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell are both members of the Mt. Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church. Subject is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. M. A. fraternities and of the Iron Hall, Mt. Vernon Lodge, No. 68. In politics, he is a Republican. At present is a member of the Board of Education of the Mt. Vernon Public Schools. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. M. V. B. Montgomery
This gentleman is a native of Ohio, being born near Cincinnati, March 4, 1837, on the day President Martin Van Buren was inaugurated, and whose initials he bears. His father, Alexander Montgomery, was a native of New Jersey, of Scotch descent; he was a farmer, and died in this county, to which he had come in May, 1869. The mother of our subject, Catharine (Jaggers) Montgomery, was a native of New Jersey. She was also of Scotch descent, and the mother of twelve children; she died in this county.
Our subject is the youngest of the twelve children, who are all living and married except one. He was educated in Indiana, and received his medical education in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinati. Dr. Montgomery followed his profession two years in Indiana, and then in 1863, came to Jefferson County, Ill. settling near Lynchburg, and in 1870 removed to Opdyke, where he now follows his profession, enjoying the esteem of the people. The Doctor was joined in matrimony, April 25, 1861, in Jennings County, Ind., to Miss Serena P. Jones, born January 8, 1840, in Jennings County, daughter of David C. and Susan C. (Prather) Jones, he a native of Virginia, and she a native of Indiana. Mrs. Dr. Montgomery is the mother of two children now living George W., born May 10, 1866, and Lena L., born March 7, 1869. Dr. Montgomery is an A. F. & A. M., also an I.O.O.F. He owns a fine farm of 160 acres near Opdyke. In politics, he has always been identified with the Democratic party. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
HOME -- NEXT
©2010 and prior, Cindy Ford (all rights reserved)