Dr. Joseph H. Newton
Dr. Joseph H. Newton was born in Robertson County, Tenn., September 9, 1837, and is a son of Anderson Newton (deceased), a native of Orange County, N.C., who emigrated with his parents to Tennessee in 1818, and brought his family to this county in 1852, where he died in 1862. Our subject was brought up on the farm, and recieved a common school education; but most of his education was obtained at home in a chimney corner. He began the practice of medicine in 1864, in Hamilton County, Ill., and came to this county in 1866, and has built up a large practice. He was married in 1864, to Lovina, daughter of George Starner. They have had nine children, six living Eva C., Alluna, Ann, Walter H., Kate and Leda. The Doctor is an Odd Fellow.
["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford; Picture Source: "Jefferson County Facts & Folks" page 262 © 1978]
Dr. Oliver P. Norris, was born in Bracken Co., Ky., Aug 29, 1843, a son of Joseph and Rebecca R. West (Morris), the father a native of Kentucky, and the mother of Pennsylvania. The father followed boating in early life, but later he engaged in farming. The parents were blessed with nine children, of whom there are five living O. P., William H., Millard F., Joseph D. and Edward J.
Our subject obtained a little schooling in his native State, and after coming to this county with his parents, about 1851, he continued his studies here, attending in after years the school at Normal, Ill. In September, 1864, he was drafted into the war, and joined the Thirty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which belonged to the Seventeenth Army Corps, under Blair. The regiment joined Sherman at Atlanta, and fought under him at Savannah, Columbia, Bentonville, etc.
Our subject returned at the close of the war, and attended the high school at Mount Vernon, Ill. He had a desire for studying medicine, and he read under the instruction of Dr. J. C. Gray, of Mount Vernon. He afterward attended the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati and recieved a full course of lectures, and later the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, from which institution he graduated, and returned to this county, where he has since enjoyed a liberal patronage; he has given a good deal of attention to diseases of the eye, but of late has given his time to the study of obstetrics, in which branches of the profession he is especially successful.
Home of Oliver P. Norris
Source: "The Prairie Historian" March 1983.
The Doctor has dealt largely in real estate, having at present several hundred acres of land in the county, and also a fine residence in Williamsburg, which he erected in 1873. He has been Postmaster for seven or eight years at this point; has administered several estates, and was engaged in the drug and dry goods business until his practice assumed such proportions as to demand all of his attention. He was united in marriage to Sarah M. Smith, and the union has given four children, three of whom are living Myrtie E., Lena F. and Verner S. The doctor is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and has also an I.O.O.F. for many years. He has filled many of the offices of the township, including that of Supervisor. Politically, he is a Democrat.
Dr. William K. Parker
Dr. William K. Parker was born in this county March 3, 1851. He was brought up on the farm, and attended the common schools. He farmed until twenty-one years of age, when he began to read medicine and also worked for railroad companies for about four years. He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Keokuk, Iowa, in the spring of 1883. He at once began the practice of medicine at his home in Field Township, and is building up a good practice. His father James T. Parker (deceased), was born in Kentucky in 1824; came to this county with his parents when a child; was married to Mickey A. Hutcherson, by whom he has six children, viz., Mary C., our subject, Elsah E., Nettie V. (deceased), Charles F. and Wincey A. The father died December 14, 1864. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in good standing, a consistent Christian and a temperance worker. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. J. W. Peavler
Dr. J. W. Peavler was born in Washington County, Ind., July 20, 1840. Our subject is a son of Gabriel, and Nancy (McKinney) Peavler. The father was a native of Tennessee, the mother of Washington County, Ind. Subject was the third of twelve children, and of that number six are now living. When two years old, his father came to Clark County, Ind.; there our subject was first permitted to attend school. In 1856, his father came to Jefferson County, and settled in Spring GardenTownship, and here subject attended school until eighteen, and then taught for two years in that township. He next went to Mount Vernon, where he read medicine with his Uncle, Dr. H. J. Peavler. With this gentleman he remained three years, and then went to Medical Department of the Michigan State University, located at Ann Arbor, from which institution he graduated in 1864. He immediatley located at Knob's Prarie, this county, and there practiced some five years. From that location he went to Chicago, and there practiced for about one year, also attending lectures. He next came to his present location in Spring Garden Township, where he has practiced most of the time since, except in 1878, when he attended the American Medical College, at St. Louis,from which he graduated and in 1879, when he attended the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, and also graduated from that institution.
His present practice extends over a large portion of this county and portions of Franklin County. The Doctor is at present a member of the Missouri State Medical Society. Dr. Peavler was married, August 4, 1867, to Victoria Hagle, a daughter of John W. and Mahalia Boswell Hagle. This lady is a native of this county, and is the mother of six children, five of whom are now living Eugene, Minnie, Mazie, Ethel and Harry. Subject is a member of Williams Lodge, No. 242, I.O.O.F., of Spring Garden, and No. 765, Ewing Lodge, A. F. & A. M. In politics, is a republican.
["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Hiram S. Plummer
Dr. Hiram S. Plummer, is the third child of Joseph and Eunice (Cummings) Plummer, and was born in Marysville, Union County, Ohio, on the 25th of February, 1831. Joseph Plummer was a native of Rutland County, Vermont, born in 1794, and was there reared until he was eighteen years of age, and with his parents then moved to Lower Canada. Here he remained with his parents until he reached his majority, and then moved to Union County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming. In 1871, he came to Mt. Vernon., Ill., and resided with the Doctor until he died, which sad event occurred in 1873. His wife, and mother of our subject, was born in Marietta, Ohio, in 1802, and was married on the 3rd of February, 1820; she died in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, in 1865. Hiram S. Plummer spent his early life at home, assisting to till the farm, and receiving the benefit of the common schools. At twenty years of age, he left his home and began the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Andrew Wilson, of Urbana, Ohio, and remained with him three years, subsequently graduating from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery with the degree of M.D.. He immediately entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, and continued the same until breaking out of the late rebellion in 1862. He yielded to the promptings of patriotism and enlisted as Assistant Surgeon of the One Hundred and Tenth Illinois Regiment. After the battle of Perryville, he was detatched to take charge of the wounded, and subsequently, in June, 1863, he was appointed Surgeon in charge of the hospital at Nashville Tenn., and on the consolidation of his regiment in November of the same year, he was mustered out of the service, but remained in charge of the hospital under contract until spring of 1864, when he resigned his position, returned to his home in Mt. Vernon, Ill. and resumed his practice, continuing the same until February, 1865, when he again entered the service, this time as Surgeon of the One Hundred and Fifty Second Regiment. In October of the same year, he returned home and has been engaged in his professional work, doing a large and lucrative practice.
He was married, in September, 1860, to Miss Martha, a daughter of Harvey T. Pace, one of the old pioneers of the county. Mrs. Plummer is a native of the county, and is the mother of the following seven children: Hollie, Grace, Minnie M., Nanie, Ada R., Lulu and H. Gale. Dr. Plummer is an active worker for the Republican party, and has several official positions. He is now Mayor of the city, is a member of the order A. F. & A. M., and a member of the Southern Illinois Medical Association. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Charles Judson Poole
Dr. Charles Judson Poole, is a native of Jefferson County, Illinois, and the fourth of a family of five children whose parents. W. H. and Amelia Poole, were born in Tennessee and Illinois respectively, but who have spent their married life in Mount Vernon, where the father located in the year 186O. W. H. Poole learned the trade of wagon making when a young man and soon afterward locating in Mount Vernon started the first wagon making shop in Jefferson county, which he operated for a number of years with encouraging financial results. An efficient mechanic who always took great pride in his work, his vehicles early acquired such a reputation for excellence that his establishment was taxed to its utmost capacity to meet the demand for them and for many years his wagons had an extensive sale throughout Jefferson county and were preferred to any other on the market. As evidence of his skill and superior workmanship a number of the Poole wagons are still to be found in various parts of the county and although subjected to the usual rough usage of the farm and highway during the last thirty-five or forty years are still in good condition and bid fair to answer the purposes intended for many years longer. The maiden name of Mrs. W. H. Poole was Amelia Davidson. Her parents, Hardin and Asynith Davidson, were natives of Ohio, but in an early day moved to Jefferson county, Illinois, locating at Mount Vernon, where they reared a large family of fourteen children, the majority of whom grew to maturity and became well settled in life. Mrs. Poole, who is a native of Mount Vernon, has borne her husband five children, as follows: Fannie E., Gertrude M., Edith B., Dr. Charles J., of this review, and Ida B.
William Poole, the Doctor's grandfather, was a Tennessean by birth and a cooper by trade. He was of Irish extraction, and is remembered as a good mechanic and a man of great industry and energy whose influence made for the material advancement of his community and the moral good of those with whom he came into contact. He had nine sons, all of whom adopted his own trade, and became good workmen and respected citizens. William Poole came to Illinois a few years after his son, W. H., settled in Jefferson county and spent the remainder of his days in Mount Vernon, where his death occurred in 1890. Several of the doctor's ancestors were noted for longevity, his great-grandmother, Mrs. Davis, having lived to the remarkable age of one hundred and seven years; she had a sister who was ninety-eight years old at the time of her death and other members of the family were past the allotted three score and ten milestone before called to the other world.
Dr. Charles Judson Poole was born June 27, 1874, in Mount Vernon, Illinois, and received his preliminary education in the schools of his native city, graduating from the high school in the year 1893. Having decided to devote his life to the noble and humane work of alleviating the suffering of his fellow mortals, he began the study of medicine shortly after finishing his literary education, and in 1896 entered the Medical College at St. Louis, where he prosecuted his studies until completing the prescribed course, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine, in the year 1900. Immediately following his graduation he located at the town of Shiller, where he remained one year, at the expiration of which jime he chose the larger and more inviting city of Mount Vernon in which to exercise his professional talents. His subsequent career in this field fully realized his expectations and won for him a conspicuous place among the successful physicians and surgeons of Jefferson county. Doctor Poole is a close student of medical science and has kept in touch with the latest advancement in his profession, being familiar with the recent discoveries in medicine and skillful in applying what he considers efficacious to the treatment of diseases. He combines many of the characteristics of the ideal family physician, including the pleasing personality and the faculty of gaining the confidence not only of patients hut of their friends, also, without which some of the ablest medical men frequently fail to effect cures.
As already indicated his career since locating in the city of his birth has been eminently satisfactory and he now numbers among his patients not a few of his erstwhile boyhood friends and companions and many others who had reached years of maturity when he was but a lad in kilts and knickerbockers.
Doctor Poole avails himself of every opportunity to keep abreast of the times in all matters relating to his chosen calling and to this end holds membership with the Jefferson County Medical Society, Southern Illinois Medical Association, the State Medical Association and the American Medical Association, being familiar with the deliberations of these bodies and a regular attendant of those of a local character and a participant in the discussions of the same. He is also identified with several secret fraternal organizations among which are the ancient and honorable orders of Masonry, Knights of Pythias, Red Men, Woodmen, Royal Neighbors, Mystic Workers, Ben Hur and the Knights and Ladies of Security.
Although devoted to his profession the doctor manifests an abiding interest in public and political matters and lends his assistance and influence to all worthy enterprises for the good of his city and the social intellectual and moral welfare of his fellow men. He is a Republican and for some years has been one of the leading workers of his party in Jefferson county, being at this time a member of the County Central Committee and a judicious and trusted adviser in political councils as well as an active and successful campaigner. Aside from representing his ward in the City Council he has held no elective office nor does he permit aspiration to public position interfere with his professional duties, being first of all a physician and making everything else subordinate thereto.
Doctor Poole was married August 13, 1899, to Miss Grace Daniel, daughter of H. P. Daniel, of Waltonville, the father a pioneer citizen of that town and an ex-soldier of the great Civil war. Doctor and Mrs. Poole are highly esteemed in the social life of Mount Vernon and have many warm friends both in the city and country. They are Baptists in their religious belief and influential members of the church in Mount Vernon, contributing liberally to the material support of the organization and taking an interest in furthering its good work in the community. One child has been born to them, a daughter by the name of Maeryta M., whose date of birth fell on the 25th of April, 1900.
[Source: "History of Jefferson County" By: John A. Wall, 1909 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. W. R. Ross
Dr. W. R. Ross was born June 11, 1855, in Jefferson County, Penn., son of James M. Ross, a native of Pennsylvania, an architect by occupation, which he yet follows, though quite aged. He was a builder of the Grand Pacific Hotel, San Francisco, Cal. His father came from Scotland. The mother of our subject, Mary (Herrin) Ross, a native of Pennsylvania, is also living, and the mother of five children Maggie B. Hopkins; John H., deceased; William R., our subject; Samuel M. and James B.
Our subject was educated in Marietta, Ohio; he recieved his medical education in the College of Physicians and Surgeons and Maryland Women's Hospital, at Baltimore. After he graduated he came to Wayne County, Ill., settling on Long Prairie practiced there two and a half years, and then came to Belle Rive, where he now follows his profession. He was joined in matrimony September 13, 1882, in South Bend, Ind., to Miss Jennie M. Thomas, a native of New York State, born February 23, 1861, daughter of Ephraim P. and Saphora (Sheppard) Thomas. He is of Welsh descent and a native of New York State, and she also a native of New York State.
Mr. and Mrs. Ross are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Armstrong County Medical Society. In politics, he is a Republican. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. J. B. Scarborough
Dr. J. B. Scarborough was born in Ewing Township, Franklin Co., Ill., March 12, 1842, and is a son of Dr. Bennent and Allie (Bennett) Scarborough. The father was a native of Wilson County, Tenn., and came to this State in 1832. The mother is a native of Posey County, Ind. Subject was the third of five children, and was permitted to attend the schools of his county until about twenty, and then the Doctor commenced reading medicine with his father. Remained with him until twenty-four, reading and assisting the elder Scarborough in his practice. Then our subject took up his chosen practice for himself at the town of Macedonia, Franklin County. In that locality he only remained about six months, when he again betook himself to his native county, and there took up the practice of his father, the latter having become too old to attend to it (his death subsequently occurred in 1879), and in that locality our subject remained until 1873. In that year he removed to Ham's Grove, Pendleton Township, this county, and there practiced until Oct, 1879, when he came to his present location at Spring Garden. In this locality he now has a practice that extends over territory which lies for miles north and east of Spring Garden, and where he has confidence of the people of that locality, in Pendleton Township.
Subject was married, September 20, 1865, to Miss Ada Yates , a native of Providence, R.I., and the daughter of John I. and Hannah (Stewart) Yates, natives of Maine, but settling in Ohio where the father died, and the mother married Bennett Woodworth, and subsequently the twain came to this county (in 1853), and settled in Moore's Prairie Township, where they have subsequently resided. The result of this union has been three children, two of whom are now living, Lizzie (wife of Edgar Bernard), born October 20, 1866 and Ida May, born July 22, 1870. Alice was born December 17, 1868, and died July 24, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough and daughter Lizzie are members of Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of Ham's Grove Lodge, No. 405, I.O.O.F. In politics he is a Republican. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. John M. Smith
Dr. John M. Smith was a physician and surgeon. He was born in Bald Hill Township, Jefferson County, in either 1870 or 1871. Prepretory to the study of medicine, he attended Southern Illinois Normal Teachers College at Carbondale and later graduated from Barnes Medical School in St. Louis in the 1890's. He practiced medicine in Jefferson County, until his death in 1900 from tuberculosis. Most of his practice was around Scheller, Illinois. [Source: "History of Medicine in Jefferson County", By Charles K. Wells, 1968 - Sub by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Jacob Stonemetz
Dr. Jacob Stonemetz was born May 13, 1825, in Montgomery County, N.Y. His father, John Stonemetz, was a native of New York, born 1796, where he farmed till his death, which occurred October 12, 1865. His father was born in Germany. The mother of our subject, Leah Dingman Stonemetz, was a native of New York, born 1797. She was the mother of nine children, of whom four are now living, viz., Mary Nelson, Eliza Moore, James M. and Jacob. The following are deceased: Philip, John, Hannah Rector, Gitty Freeman and Catherine. Mrs Leah Stonemetz died August 29, 1861.
Our subject was educated in Jefferson County, Ind., and graduated at the Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati. Having previous to this read medicine with Dr. John H. Reynolds, of Wirt, Ind., Dr. Stonemetz commenced to practice at Azalia, Bartholomew Co., Ind. After one year, he returned to North Vernon, Ind., and vicinity, where he remained ten years, and then, in 1859, emigrated to Moore's Prairie, in Jefferson County, where he yet follows his profession, enjoying the confidence and esteem of his fellow men.
He built his first in Opdyke, and is, therefore, one of the first settlers in this town. Dr. Stonemetz was joined in matrimony, August 4, 1852, in Jennings County, Ind., to Lucinda J. Wilson born April 29, 1833, in Jennings County, Ind. She was a daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Chapman) Wilson, he a native of West Virginia and a merchant by occupation, and she a native of Kentucky. Mrs Stonemetz was the mother of five children, viz., Alice C. born May 25, 1853, wife of Andrew J. Cook; William E. and Elva M. Deceased; Guy Nelson, born March 8, 1863; and Leah M., born February 26, 1868. Dr. and Mrs. Stonemetz are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an A. F. & A. M., also been an I.O.O.F. for thirty years. In politics, he is identified with the Republican party. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. J.H. Watson
DR. J. H. WATSON, Woodlawn... Among the able practitioners of Materia Medical in Shiloh Township is Dr. J. H. Watson, whose name heads this brief biography. He is a native of the county, born July 31, 1846, and is a son of John H. and Elizabeth M. (Rankin) Watson. The father was a carpenter by occupation, and in his latter years gave his attention to the office of Justice of the Peace at Mount Vernon. He was a native of Virginia, and son of Dr. Watson, a native of England, who first settled in Virginia and afterward in Jefferson County, Ill. She is a native of Tennessee and the mother of nine children, of whom seven are now living, our subject being the youngest child. He was reared and educated in the city of Mount Vernon, and where he studied medicine with Dr. Green. He afterward attended medical lectures in Cincinnati and St. Louis, and graduated from the medical college of the latter place in l867. He first began the practice of medicine in in Dunklin County, Mo. In 1868, he returned to his native county and located in Woodlawn, where he has since remained, with the exception of two years spent in Colorado. He was married in Woodlawn in 1870, to Miss Melissa, daughter of William Wood, for whom the town of Woodlawn was named. This union has been blessed with the following children: E1izabeth Neva and Thomas Bertrand. The Doctor is an enterprising, public spirited citizen, and is an honor to the profession to which he is devoted. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and a Democrat in politics. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. John W. Watson
Dr. John W. Watson was a native of Maryland, born in 1771. He was removed by his parents to Virginiawhen a small boy and was there reared. He studied medicine and was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College. He married in Virginia in 1811, removed to Bourbon County, Ky, and soon after to Pendleton County of the same state. After about ten years, he turned his face Westward and came to Illinois, arriving in Mount Vernon in November, 1821. His journey was overland with a two-horse wagon, which carried his family and all his earthly possessions. He settled on a farm known as Mulberry Hill, and the following year (1822) bought land one-half mile north of Mount Vernon on the Vandalia road, where he remained and managed his farm, in connection with his duties of his profession until he died, which sad event occurred June 3, 1845.
He was the first physician of the county, and his ride extended over a great portion of this part of the state. He often made rides of fifty and one hundred miles, on horseback in one day. In 1828, he was called on a professional visit to Williamson County, and from the long ride, his horse became exhausted and died on his arrival at his journey's end, and he was obliged to borrow a horse to get back to his home. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Walter Watson
Dr. Walter Watson was born on the 14th of May, 1851, in Mt. Vernon, Ill., and is the oldest of three children born to Joel F. and Sarah M. (Taylor) Watson. He was educated in the High Schools of Mt. Vernon, supplemented by a four years' course in the McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill., graduating from that institution with honors in June, 1872. Returning home, he immediatly began reading medicine in the office of Dr. W. Duff Green, of Mt. Vernon, Ill., and in September of the same year entered Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, and graduated from that institution with a dgree of M.D. in March, 1875. At this time he was successful in winning a prize of $50, which was offered for the one most successful in the examination in opthamology. After this examination he entered a competitive examination for the position of resident physician of the Good samaritan Hospital of Cincinnati. Being successful, he entered the position and continued the same for one year. In 1876, he was elected to fill the chair of Demonstrator of Anatomy in the college where he graduated.
In 1877, on account of the failing health of his father and the importance of being with him to attend to his business, he resigned his position and returned home to Mt. Vernon, where he has since remained engaged in the practice of his profession. During 1877-78, he was practicing in partnership with Dr. Green, but since that time has been in practice by himself. He was married in September, 1880, to Miss Nettie Margaret Johnson, of Champaigne, Ill., and a daughter of George W. and Margaret G. (Lawder) Johnson. This union has been blessed with one child Margaret. Dr. Watson is a Democrat in politics, a member of the A. F. & A. M. and K. of H., and is State Medical Examiner for the latter. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. James Walter Wells
Dr. James Walter Wells was the last rural physician to practice medicine in Jefferson County. The span of his practice was from May 1906 until his death October 5, 1960. Except for the first few months in Scheller, his office was located on the second floor of the Waltonville State Bank building in Waltonville.
Dr. Wells was born January 27, 1879 in Laur, Blissville Township, Jefferson County, Illinois, the son of John and Laura Ann Bravard Wells. After completing the local elementary country school, he attended Ewing College, Ewing. Illinois for two years. In May 1906, he received his M.D. degree from Barnes Medical College, St. Louis, Missouri.
In the early days of his practice the work was rugged. Hospitals were not available and patients who were too ill to come to his office were cared for in their homes. Few homes had telephones and this necessitated the doctor making daily house calls to the very ill. The roads were unpaved and were muddy in the winter and dusty in the summer. The chief means of transportation were by horseback, buggy, wagon or sled. The doctor's armamentarium for house calls was contained in two satchels one for the various pills, powders and elixirs, the other for instruments and bandages. Patients who were less ill or were convalescing were seen less frequently and members of their families would report to the doctor at specified intervals.
The doctor's services were available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, three hundred and sixty-five days a year. It was not uncommon for him to be up half the night with a home delivery and then be in his office as usual the following morning for a full day's practice.
Before the development of vaccines, typhoid fever and other communicable diseases were prevalent. It was not uncommon for several members of the same family to be ill simultaneously. After the development of typhoid vaccine. Dr. Wells encouraged the board of directors of various country schools to sponsor district wide immunization programs. With the school board's approval and at specified times, the doctor held immunization clinics at the schools, immunizing anyone residing in the school district. These programs were very successful and did much to control typhoid fever in the southwest area of the county. This same procedure was later followed, prior to the state's requirement for immunizations, to inoculate against smallpox, diphtheria, measles and whooping cough.
Dr. Wells was married to Bertha Blanche Hartley in 1912. They had one child, Vivian Wells Allen (Mrs. W. Carl Allen) of Rantoul. Illinois. Bertha Wells died in 1914. in 1918, Dr. Wells married Melissa Ann Kirkpatrick. Three children were born to this union: Charles K. Wells. M.D. of Mt. Vernon: Dorothy Wells Hirons (Mrs. Knox Hirons) of Waltonville; and Helen Wells. Lieutenant Colonel retired. United States Air Force, of Waltonville.
Dr. Wells 's was active in community affairs. In 1911 he served as the first president of the newly organized village board of Waltonville. He was a member of the board of education for the elementary school for several terms and served as president for one term. He served one term as a member of the Jefferson County Board of Supervisors. This was during the time the present Court House was constructed. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Modern Woodmen of America. During World War I he served in the Army Medical Corps and was stationed in Georgia.
In 1946, when the medical staff of Good Samaritan Hospital, Mt. Vernon organized, Dr. Wells became a member. He was a life long member of the Jefferson-Hamilton County Medical Society and held various offices in the Society. He was also a life time member of the lllinois State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. In 1956 he was honored by the Illinois State Medical Society and was received into the Fifty Year Club for actively practicing medicine for fifty years. He was also honored by the Jefferson-Hamilton County Medical Society and the Sisters of St. Francis (owners of the Good Samaritan Hospital) "for his outstanding service to the sick in our community 1906-1956."
Dr. Wells believed strongly that every child should have the opportunity for an education, and to this goal he financially assisted many needy students with books clothes and tuition.
[Source: Facts and Folks of Jefferson County, page 342 © 1978 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. John T. Whitlock
Dr. John T. Whitlock, was born near Dix, Jefferson County, Illinois, November 15, 1860. After finishing his studies in the local schools, he spent nearly five years at Ewing College in Franklin County. From there he went to Shurtleff College at Upper Alton, taking the literary course and graduating in the class of 1887. After teaching a year in the Spring Garden high school, he began the study of medicine, later entered the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, and obtained his degree in 1890. He opened an office at Dix and carried on a successful practice there for twelve years, meantime taking a post-graduate course at the Chicago Polyclinic College. After his location at Mount Vernon, he took a post-graduate course at the New York Polyclinic and altogether obtained a thorough and up-to-date medical education.
A short time after coming to the county seat he opened the Mount Vernon Hospital in connection with other physicians, but these he subsequently bought out and was sole manager for about three years and a half. Eventually he disposed of his interests and severed his connection with the institution and since then has devoted his entire time to his large general practice. Doctor Whitlock is a member of the Illinois State, Southern Illinois and Jefferson County Medical Societies and president of the last named. He is director of the Ham National Bank and owns a large farm in Dodds township, besides a cozy residence and office at 812 Main street. He has served four years as Coroner and was elected as a candidate of the Republican party. His fraternal connections are with the Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen and Ben Hur.
Doctor Whitlock has been twice married, first in December, 1884, to Mary Billingsley, a Kentucky lady, resident for some years at Ewing, Illinois. She died in March, 1886, leaving one son, John Kelley Whitlock, six days old at the time of his mother's death, and now a farmer in Field township. In August, 1894, Doctor Whitlock married Cora Clark, a native of Jefferson county. He stands high both in his profession and as a good, all-round citizen, reliable, enterprising and public-spirited. His great-grandfather was Thomas Whitlock, who came to Illinois at a very early day, settling at Dix, in Jefferson county, where he kept tavern on the old Vandalia and St. Louis stage line. The family is perhaps the oldest in Jefferson county, as it has been represented here by six generations. The Whitlocks have been potential factors in the development and growing of this fine agricultural section. [Source: History of Jefferson County, By: John A. Wall © 1909 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Carter Wilkey
Dr. Carter Wilkey, another one of the early physicians, came to Jefferson County in 1816 with a few emigrants and settled at Moore's Prairie in the deserted cabin of Andrew Moore on the old Goshen Road. Dr. Wilkey was a native of Georgia but removed from that state to Tennessee, where he enlisted in the war of 1812. Being under age, his mother succeeded in getting him out of the army after a few months. He and Robert Cook, who had come to Illinois with him, were connected with a surveying party, engaged in surveying the lands in this part of the state. Carter Wilkey was the "commissary" -- the huntsman who furnished the game for the use of surveying party.
At this time many emigrants were passing over the Goshen Road, headed for "Sangamo country" and would stop at the settlement where the Wilkeys were living. Carter Wilkey engaged in the business of going to Carmi, a distance of forty, or fifty miles, with two or three pack horses, and bringing back meal to sell to these "movers", which he sold at $2.00 a bushel. It was a lucrative business for that early day.
He and Ben Wood learned the carpenter's trade, and they at once began to work at that business in partnership. They built many of the first houses in they county. They built the first house on Jordan's Prairie; they also built the clerks office in McLeansboro, the first house erected in that town; they built or helped to build the first bridge over Casey's Fork of Muddy Creek.
Wilkey afterwards went to Burlington, Iowa, worked in a drug store, and studied medicine under Dr. Hasbrook of that city. Coming back to Jefferson County, he located in the southeast part of the county on the old Goshen Road near what is now the Sugar Camp Baptist Church house, where he practiced medicine for many years.
He also used to trade in horses and cattle and took many hundreds of them to southern markets.
He lived to a ripe old age. After his death his son, Dr. Henry Wilkey, who had been practicing in Macedonia in Hamilton County moved to the old Wilkey homestead. [Source: Jefferson County History Historical Bureau, Page H16 - H17, © 1962 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. James Henry Wilkey
Dr. James Henry Wilkey was born here April 19, 1825, and was a son of Carter and Brunetta (Casey) Wilkey. The father was born in Walker County, Ga, in 1797. His father was a native of Scotland, and Carter in 1818 came to Mt.Vernon. He was a house carpenter by trade, also followed that of the cabinet maker. In the early history of Mt. Vernon, he assisted in many public enterprises, among which was the erection of the first county court house in Jefferson County. In 1840, he commenced studying for the practice of medicine, and as soon as his course was completed he located where our subject now lives. In that neighborhood he continued in active practice until his death, which occurred April 3, 1876. The mother was the daughter of Isaac Casey, one of the oldest pioneers of this county.
Our subject received his education in the schools of Mt. Vernon Township, and at the age of 17 he commenced reading medicine with his father. He continued his studies until he reached manhood's estate, and then after a year or so's practice with his father, he made his stand in Wayne County. He has since then practiced in Shadville, White County, Benton, Franklin County, Norris City, in White County, and then at Macedonia, in Hamilton County. While practicing, the death of his father occurred, and soon after that he returned to Jefferson County, and took up the mantle that had fallen from the shoulders of his father. He is now the only physician in that section. He practices over the counties of Jefferson, Hamilton and Franklin, and but few fall under the magic touch of his skillful hand, and the care of his watchful brain, but to be improved and to bless the existence of our subject. Besides his practice, the Doctor owns quite a nice farm of about 90 acres, situated in Section 36, Township 4, Range 4 east. He now has about 60 acres in cultivation. The charge of this devolves mainly on the son--Thomas M.
Dr. Wilkey was married, Feb 25, 1847, in Hamilton County, to Lucy Goodwin, a daughter of John Goodwin, a native of Kentucky. This lady was the mother of 2 children, one of who is now living Thomas M., born March 1, 1848. Her death occurred May 6, 1850, and subject was married the second time, in September, 1856, to Mary Ann Houseworth, a daughter of Jonathan and Rebecca Houseworth, both natives of Ohio. She was the mother of 4 children, and of this number there is also only one living--Peoria, wife of Louis Shelton, of Hamilton County. This lady died in 1863, and he was married the third time, Dec 2, 1865, to Emily Darnall, a daughter of James H. and Mary (Robenson) Darnall; the father was a native of Tennessee, and the mother of Franklin County, this state. The result of this union was three children, two of who are now living James H., Jr., born August 23, 1866, and Carter Wilkey, born March 16, 1876. In politics, subject is a Republican. ["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. S. L. Williams
Dr. S. L. Williams was born in Franklin County, Ill., Nov 13, 1839. Is a son of S. M. and Francis (Shaw) Williams. The father was born in North Carolina January 25, 1792, and emigrated to Franklin County in 1837, and there died in September, 1875. The mother was also a native of North Carolina, and died in Franklin County in July, 1874. Subject was next to the youngest of a family of fourteen children, and of this number seven are living.
Subject's education was recieved in schools in Franklin County. Until twenty-four years of age, he remained at home with his father, then started out in life for himself on a farm in that county. There he remained until 1865, when he went to Cincinnati, and there attended the Physio-Medical College for a short time. From that institution he returned to Franklin County, and commenced the practice of his chosen profession. He only remained there a short time, however, and then came to Spring Garden Township, where he has since built up quite an extensive practice. Since his coming to this county, he has been here all the time, with the exception of 1878 and 1879, when he attended lectures in St. Louis American College, from which institution he graduated in 1879. The Doctor was married, January 22, 1869, to Miss Margaret J. Arnold, a native of Robertson County, Tenn., and a daughter of James M. and Nancy (Felse) Williams. This union has resulted in four children, of whom three are living Hugh, Curtis, and Alsa. In politics he is a Democrat.
["History of Jefferson County Illinois", By: William Henry Perrin, 1883 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
Dr. Thomas B. Williamson
Dr. Thomas B. Williamson, was born in this county in 1884 and is the son of Thomas and Dora (Phillips) Williamson, the former being a native of Kentucky and the latter of Illinois. Doctor Williamson's grandfather was an Englishman, having emigrated to America, and settled in Kentucky, where he engaged in farming and stock raising. He was an expert judge of good stock and was successful in raising fine blooded horses, achieving a reputation which was far more than local in its scope. He died in 1871, having attained the age of eighty-seven years. Three children were born to him, one of whom, our subject's father, came to Illinois in 1861. He settled in Jefferson county and devoted himself to farming, and departed this life in 1884. His companion died at the age of thirty-four. Thomas was the only child born to this union.
Our subject was educated in the McLeansboro schools, where he finished the high school course. Following this he spent two years at Ewing College, and then decided to make preparation for the practice of medicine. He accordingly became a student in the Medical College of St. Louis from which he graduated in June 1906. He spent one year in active work in the Metropolitan Hospital of St. Louis, after which he came to Opdyke, where he has followed his profession up to the present time. He has built up a good practice, and has readily established himself in the confidence and esteem of neighbors and friends. His skill in diagnosing diseases and thorough knowledge of modern methods of treatment have enabled him to achieve success in the face of many unfavorable conditions.
On August 5, 1906, Doctor Williamson was joined in marriage to Miss Lillian D. Kern, who was born in Franklin county, this state. One daughter has graced this union, viz., Lucille Frances, born December 13, 1907.
Our subject takes an active part in the social and public life of the community. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Royal Neighbors, and the Modern Woodmen, acting as examining physician for the last two orders. Doctor Williamson is a Republican, and he maintains a strict stand for integrity in the discharge of all public obligations. His church affiliations are with the Baptist denomination. [Source: History of Jefferson County, By: John A. Wall © 1909 - Sub. by Cindy Ford]
©2010 and prior, Cindy Ford (all rights reserved)