Jefferson County Illinois
The first hospital in Mt. Vernon was a temporary one set up in the Appellate Courthouse after the 1888 Cyclone.
The first permanent hopital was the Excelsior Sanitarium opened in 1895 by Drs. Frank and Will McClain.
Excelsior Sanitarium opened in 1895
The Mt. Vernon Hospital opened in July 1903
in the same building
Opened c.1909 and closed between 1915 and 1920
Opened in 1919 and closed in 1943
Good Samaritan Hospital
Opened in January 1944
and used the Thompson Hospital building until a new hospital was built in May 1952
Jefferson Memorial Hospital
Originally the offices for the Mt. Vernon Car Manufacturing Co.
The building was converted into a hospital in 1947 and closed in 1979
Opened in 1951 and closed in 1974
Submitted By: Cindy Ford
BACK -- HOME
©2010 and prior, Cindy Ford (all rights reserved)