Return to Home Page
Return to Bio Index
Hon. George E. Warren - was born at Worthington, Franklin County, Ohio, Aug. 16, 1817. His father was Dr. Thomas Warren, who was a physician by profession, a native of New Hampshire, and lineally descended from the Puritans. His grand-father, Mr. De Wolfe, was the owner of the noted privateer "Yankee" that figured largely in the War onf 1812. Mr. Warren's mother died in Briston, R. I., in 1829, while his father died at the home of his son George E. Warren, near Jeseyville, in 1853.
In 1835, Dr. Warren with his three children, a daughter, Mary A., and two sons, came west and settled in Alton, Ill. He entered considerable land within the limits of Jersey County. Mr. Warren had very good early advantages for an education. At the early age of 14 years he entered Brown University, at Providence, R. I., where he remained four years, taking a classical course up to the middle ofhis senior year. After his removal with his father to Illinois, he began the study of law in the office of Judge Woodson & Hodges of Carrollton, Ill. While he was thus studying law, he received much insight into the execution of law, by assisting M. O. Bledsoe, clerk of both circuit and county commissioner's courts. This very close application somewhat imparied his health, that in the spring of 1837 he visited his former home and friends in Rhode Island for rest and recuperation.
On August 16, 1837, he was married to Miss Harriette S. Allen, daughter of S. S. Allen, collector of port of Bistol. He returned west with his wife and settle in Alton in the spring of 1838. He passed his examinations and was admitted to the bar to practice in all the courts in 1839. In 1840, he moved with his family to a large farm near Jerseyville, purchased by his father, with money left him by his grand-father, De Wolfe. In 1841, he was elected Justice and held that office continuously until 1849, when he was elected County Judge as the Whig candidate, which office held unitl 1857.
In January, 1862, he opened a law office in partnership with his son-in-law, Hon. W. H. Pogue, and was appointed United States Commissioner, Dec. 12, 1866, under Johnson's adminstration. During the war of the rebellion, Judge Warren was a firm and loyal supporter of the union cause. Few men in Jersey County exerted a more salutary influence for loyalty over the people of Jersey County, than did Judge Warren. In 1863, he received the appointment of enrolling officer.
At the early age of 16 years, he united with the Protestant Episcopla Church, but upon coming to Jerseyville, there being no church of that denomination, he united with the Presbyterian Church in 1852. On January 4, 1866, he was ordained elder, which sacred office he held to the day of his death. Judge Warren was greatly blessed with an intelligent and devoted wife, and the fruits of their union were nine children: Martha D. W., who became the wife of Dr. George D. Miles; Mary A., who became the wife of Henry C. Lowell, who was clerk in the United States Treausry Department at Washington, D. C.; Charles D., a farmer; Mark A., of the firm of M. A. Warren & Co., George E., President of the Warren-Wiseman Dry Goods Co., of Jerseyville; Anna, the wife of Robert S. Powell, a prominent farmer; and Frank, yet single.
Judge Warren was elected to the 31st General Assembly which convened January 8, 1879, and served two years. He was elected Mayor of the city of Jerseyville in 1875, and served one term of one year. Judge Warren was three times elected by Alton Presbytery a Commissioner to the General Assembly to the Presbyterian Church of the United States in 1883, at Saratoga, N. Y., and in 1888 at Philadelphia, Penn. He died at his home, with wife and children, in the midst of friends and acquaintances, after a long and useful life, an ornament to society, a blessing to the world, and a glory to the Church of Jesus Christ. He fell like a shock of corn fully ripe, at the ripe old age of 74 years, 4 monts and 7 days.
Source: [History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 to 1901, by Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, Jerseyville Republican Print. 1901]