Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Baird, Allen D., who activity in commercial life is in the line of handling high grade general groceries, is a prosperous and well known business man at Jerseyville, where he was born November 11, 1875, a son of Abram S. and Mary L. (Pope) Baird, natives of New Jersey, who came to Jersey County about 1855. Abram S. Baird located in Jersey Township and there engaged in farming. He died March 22, 1886, and his wife died April 12, 1912.
Allen D. Baird, youngest of the five children born to his parents, attended the public schools at Jerseyville. When Twenty years old he began working for his brother as a clerk in a bakery, remaining with him for eighteen months. He then worked for himself in different line for four years and finally embarked in a baking business which he conducted for two years. Disposing of his bakery, he was engaged in painting, decorating and paper hanging for several years, but in 1914, he embarked in the grocery business, in the western part of Jerseyville, he store being located at No. 601 W. Spence Street, where he has since continued, and has built up a fine trade.
In November, 1904, Mr. Baird was married to Clara Simmons Rowden, who was born in Jersey County, September 9, 1872, a daughter of George and Lizzie (McKinney) Rowden, he born in Iowa, and she in Jersey County. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Baird are as follows: Russell, who was born August 2, 1908; Mary Elizabeth, who was born February 26, 1910; and Charles Abram, who was born October 24, 1911. In political faith, Mr. Baird is a Republican. He holds membership in the Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America. On his father's side, Mr. Baird is descended from prominent old New Jersey stock, the Bairds, the Drakes, and the Popes all being families of importance.
Banfield, William Henry, a veteran of the Civil War and a capable farmer whose operations are conducted in the vicintiy of Grafton, was born in Chester County, Pa., January 10, 1842, a son of George and Harriet Banfield, natives of Pennsylvania, who came of Scotch and Irish ancestry.The family came to Illinois, and when he was nine years old William Henry Banfield began attending school in Dayton. When only twelve years old, he was employed as an assistant to the cook of a rafting crew, and remained with this organization for four years.Going into the pine woods of Wisconsin, he worked there and while rafting logs down the Mississippi River he was taken sick, and stopped at Grafton to recover. Liking the locality, he decided to remain, and for a time worked at whatever he could find to do. In the meanwhile the Civil War had broked out, and when he was twenty years old, on February 10, 1862, Mr. banfield, enlisted in defense of his country, in Company D, Sixty-First Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged with the rank of sergeant. After his discharge he returned to Grafton and engaged in farming as a hired hand and he has been successful in this line of endeavor.
Barnes, Edward F. , now deceased, for a number of years was included among the representive men of Jersey County, and was a successful farmer of Ruyle Township. He was born in Ruyle Township, March 6, 1875, a son of James W. and Caroline (Elliot) Barnes. After attending the district and a high school in his native county, Edward F. Barnes began farming. He was married on June 26, 1901, to Nellie M. Ketchum, born in Macoupin County, Il., September 8, 1874, a daughter ofLeonard and jane S. (Hayward) Ketchum, he born in Macoupin County, April 21, 1842, and she at Clifton, Madison County, Il., March 27, 1845. The grandparents, Ira and Phebe (Fitzgerald) Ketchum, were born in Vermont and New Jersey, respectively, while the maternal grandparents were Ansel and Lucinda Jane (Tolman) Hayward, of Massachusetts. The family of Hayward was founded at Plymouth, Mass. in 1635. After his marriage Edward F. Barnes moved to a farm he owned in Ruyle Township, which was situated within a quarter mile of his birthplace. This farm contains 120 acres of land and he improved it considerably, erecting substantial buildings and adding to its value in other ways. He also owned eighty acres of timber, and carried on general farming and stockraising. His death occured April 27, 1917, in a hospital in St.Louis, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes had no children of their own, but they reared an adopted daughter, Christina L. Carr, who was born December 17, 1899.
Mrs. Barnes attended the schools of her district. She is a member of the Kemper Baptist Church, to which Mr. Barnes also belonged and which he served as clerk and also was superintendent of the Sunday School. He was converted and baptized into the church May 24, 1889. In politics he was a Republican. He belonged to the Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen of America, and Royal Neighbors, all of which he gave a good citizen's support in every way. Mrs. Barnes is now capably conducting the homestead.
Barnes, Stephen F., owner of 160 acres of fine Ruyle Township land, is now engaged in farming, although he has had a mercantile experience as well. He was born in Ruyle Township,Jersey County, Il., September 10, 1870, a son of James William and Caroline (Elliot) Barnes, natives of Virginia and Madison County, Il. The paternal grandparents, Elijah William and Margaret Barnes, came to Jersey County about 1833 and entered a large amount of government land. Lewis and Elizabeth (Reddish) Elliot, the maternal grandparents, were among the earliest settlers of Jersey County. After marriage, James William Barnes and his wife located on land his father had entered from the government, the entry fee having been earned by the grandmother of Stephen F. Barnes. James William Barnes became the owner of 240 acres of land, all of which was entered from the government with his mother's money, and he farmed it until 1898, and lived until 1908. After his death, his widow moved to Medora, Il., where she died December 11, 1914. There are five living children namely; Mary Jane, who is Mrs. Luther Livingston, of Neal, Greenwood County, Kansas.; Lewis and John, who live at Medora, Il.; Stephen F. and Oscar, who live in Jerseyville. Those deceased are: Edward, and Leona, who was Mrs. James Walker, died in 1908. On February 7, 1902, Mr. Barnes was married to Effie Fry, born at Rock Bridge, Green County, Il., a daughter of Lindsey and Alice (Hickman) Fry, natives of Greene County, Il., and Indiana, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have four children: Ruth, Paul, Hal and Mary. After his marriage, Mr. Barnes moved to his present 160 acre farm in Ruyle Township, forty acres of which has never been out of the Barnes family since it was entered from the government. He operated this farm until 1913, when he rented it and leaving it in charge of his brother-in-law, Fred Fry, moved to Medora, Il., where he bought a mercantile business and conducted it for two years. Selling it, he returned to the farm where he has since been engaged in stock raising and dairying, having a herd of ten cows, and handles cream, and has been very successful. The Baptist Church of Kemper, Il., holds his membership. He is a Democrat, and Kemper Camp M.W.A., holds his allegiance, and he enjoys his connection.
Bayer, Henry F., now deceased, was for forty years proprietor of a barber shop at Jerseyville, and was one of the city's respected citizens. He was born at Albany, N.Y., May 27, 1840, a son of Stephen Bayer, who was born in Prussia. He came to the United States and in Albany, N.Y., met a Miss Stuetzer, who was born in Bavaria, Germany. Their marriage took place in Albany, and afterward they came as far west of St.Louis, Mo., but on account of chlorea, they returned to Albany, and lived there until 1854, when they once more returned to St.Louis, Mo., and while there living in that city, their son, Henry F. Bayer, learned the trade of a barber from a man named Horning. In the fall of 1855 Henry F. Bayer came to Jerseyville and opened the barber shop he conducted for forty years, or until his death which occured February 9, 1901. He was a reliable , sober and industrious man and excellent citizen, devoted to the interests of his community and county.
On June 22, 1862, Mr. Bayer was married to Catherine Fuechter, born in Wuerttemberg, Germany, April 10, 1845, a daughter of John Michael and Anna Marie (Haberoth) Fuechter, who in the fall of 1851, came to New Jersey where they lived until 1855, moving to Jerseyville in that year, and there Mr. Fuechter engaged in business as a tanner. Mr. and Mrs. Bayer became the parents of the following children: Frederick, who lives in Jacksonville, Il; Edward, who died in infancy; William, who died at the age of thirty-one years.; Mary, who is the wife of Nathaniel Layman, of Wren, Ohio; Lena, who is Mrs. W.P. Hixenbaugh, of Moran, Kas.; Louis, who lives at St.Louis, Mo.,; Paul, who lives at Chicago, Il.; Henrietta, who is Mrs. Paul Meinhardt, of San Franscisco, Calf.,; Alvina, who lives with her mother; Otto, who lives in Long Beach, Cal.;Frank, who also lives with his mother; and Clarence, who is a soldier in the United States Army. Mrs. Bayer has lived since childhood in her present home and is very much attached to it. She belongs to the Evangelical Church. Mr. Bayer was a Republican and he belonged to the order of the Knights of Honor.
Becker, Joseph W. - county superintendent of schools for Jersey County, Il., and one of the scholarly men of this section, is one of the best known men in Jerseyville. He was born in Calhoun County, Ill., January 6, 1865, a son of Gregory and Tressa (Daak) Becker,natives of Baden and Hanover, Germany, respectively.They were married in Calhoun County, Il.Having learned the trade of a turner in Germany, Gregory Becker went to Paris, France, were he worked at his trade until 1859, leaving the old world for the new in that year. After landing in the United States he came to Calhoun County, where he continued to farm until his death which occured in 1907. His wife passed away in 1879. Their children were as follows: Charles P., who lives at Kampsville, Il.; John, who lives at Silver Creek,Il.;Rebecca, who is Mrs. John Piper, of Kampsville,Il.,Frederika, who is Mrs. Edward thomas, of Kampsville, Il.;Joseph W.; Elizabeth, who is Mrs. Frank Tozier, of Kampsville, Il.; Dinah, who is Mrs. Joseph Brandenburg, of Silver Creek, Il.; Mary, who is Mrs. John Robinson, of Kingfisher, Okla.; George, who lives at Silver Creek, Il.; Katie, who was Mrs. John Carter died in 1909; and Henry, who is living on the homestead in Silver Creek, Il.
Joseph W. Becker attended the schools of his district, the Central Wesleyan College of Warrenton, Mo., and the Illinois State Normal School. Until 1891 Mr. Becker was engaged in educational work at Hamburg, Gilead and Hardin, Il.,but in that year he entered the journalistic field and for four years conducted the Calhoun Leader. Selling this newspaper in April, 1895, he came to Jerseyville to take charge of the Jerseyville Republican, which he conducted until 1912, when he sold to C.T. Kurtz. During that period, from 1903 to 1907, he also served as postmaster of Jerseyville, and then was assistant postmaster until January 1, 1914. In November of that year he was elected to the superintendency of schools of Jersey County, which important office he stills holds, being one of the most efficient and carefully trained men the people of this section have ever placed in this position.
In September, 1888, Mr. Becker was married to Maggie Cloninger, born at Mozier, Calhoun County, Il., a daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Lakin) Cloninger, the former of whom was born in Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Becker have two children: Grace, who is Mrs. ?? T. Edwards, of Grafton, Il.; and Nellie, who is a teacher of physical culture in Sullivan County, N.Y. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Jerseyville holds Mr. Becker's membership and he has been superintendent of the Sunday School since 1901. In politics he is a Republican. Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Bertman, Fred J. , a justice of the peace and a leading citizen of Jerseyville, was born in this city on March 17, 1856. His parents were Frederick and Lena (Goetten) Bertman, natives of Germany, where their parents lived and died. In 1845 Frederick Bertman came to the United States and in the same year Lena Goetten also came. They were married at Buffalo, N.Y., and directly afterward journeyed to Alton, Ill. By trade he was a tailor, and after looking about for a promising business location, in 1847 moved to Jerseyville, and here opened one of the first tailoring shops. He proved a capable business man and later conducted a general store and combined fine tailoring with gents' furnishing goods. He continued a business until 1868, when he retired for two years, but in 1870 agian embarked in business and continued until his death, in 1882. His widow survived into old age, her death occuring in 1915, when she was ninety-four years old.
Fred J. Bertman obtained his education in the public schools and spent five months in the St.Louis University at St.Louis. He afterward assisted his father in the store until the latter's death, and then closed it out as his time and attention had to be given to the duties of deputy sheriff, in which office he served for two years. He was occupied for a time as a clerk in the bank of Shepard & Co., but the greater part of Judge Bertman's life since a young man has been of an official nature, his fellow citizens recognizing his efficiency and trustworthiness by again and again calling him to positions of public trust and responsibility. He has been active in both city and county politics for many years, a factor in the Democratic party until 1896, when he accepted policies of that party caused him to identify himself with the Republicans, wo which organization he is yet loyal. Mr. Bertman served several terms as township collector and was deputy county collector under three administrations. His record as alderman for nine years from his ward shows that he was faithful to its interests at all times and satisfactory to his constituents. When first elected a justice of the peace, Judge Bertman was continued in office for eight successive years, andhis return to the office took place in the spring of 1917.
In 1879 Fred J. Bertman was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Frances Massy, who was born in Jersey Co., Ill., and died February 17, 1881. She was the daughter of Henry C. and Catherine (Fitzgerald) Massy, the former of whom was born in St.Charles Co., Mo., and the latter in Ireland. To Mr. and Mrs. Bertman, one son was born, Herny C. who died in infancy. Judge Bertman is a member of the Roman Catholic Church. He is a man of great force of character, enterprising and upright, and possesses many characteristics that Americans like to find in their public officials.
Bezner, Frederick O. secretary E. R. Thomas Detroit Co.; born, Jerseyville, Ill., (Jersey Co) Sept. 3, 1879; son of Frederick K. and Anna Mary (Prediger) Bezner; educated in Jerseyville High School and Chicago Business College, Chicago; unmarried. Began active career as stenographer for passenger department of the Goodrich Transportation Co., Chicago, 1898, continuing two years; stenographer and city buyer National Cash Register Co., Dayton, O., 1900-02; assistant purchasing agent Detroit Copper and Brass Rolling Mills, Detroit, 1902-03; assistant purchasing agent Olds Motor Works, Detroit 1903-05, and purchasing agent same company, 1905-06; has been secretary and director E. R. Thomas Detroit Co., makers of motor cars, since May, 1906. Mason Club: Commercial. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: E. R. Thomas Detroit Co. Residence: 321 Hurlbut Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters", Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]
Birkenmayer, Roy one of the most prosperous general farmers of Fidelity Township, is engaged in doing his best for his country in increasing the food supply. He was born in this township, April 15, 1865, a son of Gotlieb and Mary Ann (Nerk) Birkenmayer. Growing up on the homestead, Roy Birkenmayer attended the schools of his district and remained with his parents until his marriage which occured in 1892, after which he rented land in Fidelity Township for twelve years. He then moved to 160 acres of land on section 3, Fidelity Township, owned by his wife, and on it he erected substantial buildings and made other improvments which greatly enhance the value of the property. Here he carries on general farming, raising horses, cattle and hogs, as well as grain.
On February 17, 1892, Mr. Birkenmayer was married to Elizabeth T. Rich, born in Fidelity Township, a daughter of Samuel and Hannah (Grandy) Rich. Mr. and Mrs. Birkenmayer have one daughter namely: Irma, who is Mrs. Harvey E. Challacombe of Macoupin County, Ill. A Democrat in politics, Mr. Birkenmayer has served as a school trustee since 1900, and he has also been a school director. Fraternally he holds membership with Fidelity Lodge M. W. A. while his religious connections are with the Baptist Church.
Birkenmayer, William one of the successful general farmer and stockraisers of Fidelity Township, was born in Jersey Township September 28, 1853, son of Gotlieb and Mary Ann (Nerk) Birkenmayer, natives of Germany. The grandfather, Mathias Birkenmayer came to the United States when his son Gotlieb was eight years old, and after a period spent in the vicinity of Louisville, Ky., moved to Naples, Ill., where he died. Gotlieb Birkenmayer was married in Ohio and came by water on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and bought a farm north of the county seat. Later he added to his original purchase of 160 acres, 160 acres more which lay across the road, but some years later sold his farm to his brother, and moved to Otterville, Ill., where he bought a farm. A few years later he returned to Jerseyville, buying back his old farm, and then traded it for 520 acres east of Jerseyville. After operating it for ten years, he bought another farm south of Jerseyville, then moved to Jerseyville where he died in March, 1900. His wife died in 1868. Their children were as follows: Anna, who is Mrs. Theodore Wilson of Jerseyville; William Hattie, who is the widow of Charles Miner, of Medora, Ill.,;Charles her twin brother, who is deceased; Fannie, who is the widow of Elmer Post, of Jerseyville, Ill.,; Laura, Lilly and Minnie who are all deceased.
William Birkenmayer attended the common schools of Jersey County, and grew up amid rural surroundings. On March 8, (187?-cant read last number), he was married to Anna Rich, born in Fidelity Township, a daughter of of Richard and Alzana Clarida Rich of Jersey County. After the marriage, William Birkenmayer rented his father's farm south of Fidelity for ten year, and then bought the Richard Rich Farm, 280 acres north of Fidelity. Although the farm was well improved, Mr. Birkenmayer has added materially to its value by his changes. He also owns 240 acres south of Fidelity,and carries on general farming and stockraising. Mr. and Mrs. Birkenmayer have two children, namely: Charles, who lives at Medora, Ill., and Richard who is serving in the United States Army. The only daughter, Iona, died at the age of seven years. Mr. Birkenmayer is a member of the Baptist Church and has been a deacon for some years. In politics he is a Democrat.
Bowen, Bert H. one of the thoroughly trained men of the great shoe manufacturing industry that New England, the home of the trade, has contributed to Illinois, has been indentified with this branch of work ever since boyhood. For the past six years he has been superintendent of the Jerseyville branch of the International Shoe Company, a position of much responsibility.
Bert H. Bowen was born near the Berkshire hills in Berkshire County, Mass., September 25, 1872. His parents were Nelson U. and Amanda (Glaser) Bowen, the latter of whom was born in the state of New York and died in September, 1916. The father was born in Vermont and during his active years was superintendent of a woolen mill at Adams,Mass. His death occured April 16, 1917.
Bert H. Bowen attended the public schools in Adams, Mass., until he was twelve years of age. The place is a great manufacturing center and young Bowen, like the majority of his associates, went into a mill to work as soon as his school period was over. He worked in a woolen mill, where he learned the art of weaving and continued until the age of seventeen, when he entered a factory at North Adams and started to learn the manufacture of shoes. Mr. Bowen remained in the factory until he was profient and so expert that he was made a foreman in the factory and continued in that capacity there until 1900, removing then to Newport, N.H. After five years of experience there as a foreman in a shoe factory, he accepted the offer of a like position at Manchester, N.H., where he served five years as foreman and one year as superintendent. In February, 1911, he came to his present field of work at Jerseyville. He has large interests here to look after, not only taking care of the scores of highly perfected machines with which this large plant is equipped, but in keeping up the effiency of 300 employees, including about ninety women, so that the plant product is up to expectation both in volume and in quality. In doing this Mr.Bowen shows justice to all and is held in high regard by all his subordinates. The plant occupies three floors of a building, having 3,000 feet of floor space, and the output averages 2500 pairs of shoes per day, the leading brands being: Red Goose, Weather Bird, and the Tess & Ted.
On July 2, 1894, Mr. Bowen was married to Myrtle White, who was born at West Holly,Mass., a daughter of Henry and Nancy White, both born in Massachusetts, the father at Hawley and the mother at Becket. Mr.and Mrs. Bowen have four children: Gertrude, Richard, Ronald, and Robert. Mr. Bowen and family attend the Presbyterian Church. He has always given his political support to the man irrespective of party,but has never accepted public office with the exception of membership on the school board. He is identified with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, at Jerseyville. Through industry he has accumulated a competency as well as a high place in a vast corporation,both these facts indicating that Mr. Bowen has practical business qualities as well as mechanical skill. He is looked upon as one of Jerseyville's representive men.
Bowler, Peter A., owner of 185 acres of land, just south of Jerseyville, is one of the prosperous farmers of Jersey County. He was born in St.Clair County, Ill., October 20, 1845, a son of Benjamin F. and Hester(Lemon) Bowler, he born in St.Louis County, Mo., and she in St.Clair Co. Ill. After their marriage they located on a farm in St.Clair Co., where both died.
Peter A. Bowler attended the local schools of his district and grew up to useful manhood, remaining at home til his marriage, which took place on January 6, 1876, to Barbara Short, who was born in St.Clair Co., Ill., a daughter of George and Mary(Stookey) Short, born in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Bowler have two children: Lee, who is at Ottawa, Kas., and William R., who is at home, being engaged in the horse business, and in assisting his father with the farm.
After his marriage Mr. Bowler was engaged in farming in his native county until 1892, but in that year moved to San Jose, Cal., where he conducted the Lick Hotel for nine months. At the expiration of that period the hotel destroyed by fire and he came back to Illinois and located at Jersey County, buying a farm of 130 acres, just south of the county seat,and here he has since engaged in agricultural pursuits. Many of the fine improvments upon the farm have been made by him,especially the buildings, and he has been very successful in his undertakings. In politics a Democrat, he has served in the city council from the Fourth Ward, for three terms. He is a member of the Baptist Church. In his work he has demonstrated what can be accomplished by persistent effort and untiring labor, and his success is deserved.
Borman, J. A. a prosperous general merchant of Richwoods Township, and the township supervisor, is one of the substantial men of Jersey County. He was born in Green County, Ill., March 28, 1872, a son of Jon and Catherine (Hinkel) Borman, natives of Germany and Buffalo, N.Y., respectively. After their marriage the parents came to Greene County, Ill., where the father engaged in farming until his death in 1900. The mother continued to live on the farm until she passed away in July, 1917. Their children were as follows: John and Micheal, who live at Eldred, Ill., Fannie, who is Mrs. Jacob Ambrose, of Carrollton, Ill., Mary, who is Mrs. A.C. Ferguson, of St.Louis, Mo.,Charles who lives at Eldred, Ill., Alice who is deceased, George F., who lives at Eldred,Ill., Joseph A; Mrs. Charles Borman, who lives at Eldred, Ill., and Judson, who died at the age of three years.
J.A. Borman attended the public schools of his district and assisted his father in conducting the home place. In December, 1891, he was married to Clara A. Cope, who was born in Jersey County, January 16, 1871, a daughter of Allen and Cynthia (Warner) Cope, natives of Jersey County and Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Borman have the following children: Josie, who is Mrs. Clifton Schudel, has two children, Everett and Walter, and lives in Richwoods Township; Bertha, who is Mrs. Paul Gilleland, has two children,Keith and Thelma, and live at Fieldon, Ill., and Jessie, who is Mrs. Edwin Reynolds, has two children, Vernon and Marguerite, and lives in Woodville Township, Greene County, Ill.
After their marriage, Mr. Borman was engaged in farming in Greene County until 1907, when he established himself in a mercantile business in Richwoods Township. He erected a new building on the sixteen acres he owns, for business and residential purposes, and has now a very satisfactory trade. Both he and his wife are Republicans, and he served for three years as commissioner of highways, and for the same length of tome was township collector. He was then elected supervisor, and is still holding office.Fraternally he belongs to the Royal Neighbors. Mr. and Mrs. Borman are very well and favorably known throughout their community, and exert an influence for good.
Bowman, Stephen H., president of the State Bank of Jerseyville,Ill., and for many years honorable identified with public affairs in Jersey County, belongs to one of the pioneer families of this section. He was born in the eastern part of Jersey County, in December, 1847, and is a son of Charles H. and Mary(Hooper) Bowman.
Charles H. Bowman was born in Vermont abd was a son of Elisha and Eunice (Condor) Bowman, natives of Vermont. The family came to Jersey County, Ill., in 1835, and entered land from the government. Here Charles H. Bowman was married to Mary Hooper who was born in England and was brought to the United States and to Jersey County by her father, Joseph Hooper, in 1835. After their marriage, Charles H. Bowman and wife settled on a farm in the eastern part of Jersey County. He carried on farming here until 1862, when he moved to Jerseyville, where he lived during the rest of his life, his death occuring in 1873. His widow survived until 1893. Charles H. Bowman was a man of sterling character. He was an important factor in the Jersey County Democracy and in 1860 was elected sheriff and served in this office for three terms (six years) during a very critical period of the state's history. After retiring to Jerseyville he conducted the National Hotel here for several years.
Stephen H. Bowman attended the public schools in Jerseyville, later the college at Jacksonville and still later at Eastman's Business College at Puoghkeepsie, N.Y. When he returned to Jerseyville, he became a clerk in the bank of Williams, Shephard & Company, with which concern he continued for four years. In 1870 he was elected sheriff of Jersey County and served most efficiently in this office for two terms and then returned to business life and after entering into a partnership with G.W. Ware, bought out the bank interests of Shephard & Sons and conducted the same as Bowman & Ware, until 1890. At that time a consolidation of interests resulted in the establishment of the State Bank of Jerseyville,Mr. Bowman becoming president, an office he has filled ever since. The other officers at that time were: John A. Shephard, vice president, and H.A. Shephard, cashier. The present bank officers are: Stephen H. Bowman, president; J.P. Fleming, vice president; George W. Campbell, cashier. This bank is one of the sound, stable financial institutions of the county, ably financed and conservatively conducted. It works with a capital of $50,000.
Mr. Bowman was married in December, 1871, to Miss Harriet B. Cockrell, who was born in Jersey County, a daughter of Moses and Katie (Utt) Cockrell,natives of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman have three daughters: Frances E., who is a resident of St.Louis,Mo.; and Nellie G., and Harriet C., who reside at home. Mr.Bowman and family are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which he is a trustee.
Mr. Bowman has led a busy and useful life. Aside from public service as county sheriff as above mentioned, he has served the city in important capacities, for several terms as alderman of his ward, many terms as a member of the school board and one term as mayor, ever displaying a conscientious recognition of duty. He is a Knight Templar Mason and belongs to the Elk and the Odd Fellows.
Brainerd, Charles who was a veteran of the Civil War, and an honored resident of Grafton, was born in Rome, N.Y.,September 10, 1839. He resided with his parents, Jeremiah Burr and Laura (Gates) Brainerd until his fifteenth year, when he went to Saratogo County, N.Y., where he remained until the Civil War broke out. In 1861 he enlisted in the Fiftieth New York Engineers, and served three years, participating in the Peninsular Campaign, in the engagements of Manassas and Fredericksburg. He was with the Army of the Potomac, acting as chief clerk of the commissary department of the Engineers Brigade. After the termination of the war, he came to Grafton, where he soon obtained a clerical position with the Grafton Quarry Company, of which he became superintendent, occupying this position for thirty years. He served several terms as mayor of Grafton.
In 1870, Charles Brainerd was married to Hattie A. Benner of Waldoboro, Maine, who died in 1886. To this union were born nine children. The four surviving are: Josephine L. Ripley, who resides at Grafton; George C., who is a farmer residing near Grafton; Carl E., who is an electrician living at Christopher, Ill., and Harold W., who is a merchant of Grafton. In 1887, Mr. Brainerd was married to Mrs. Victorine Slaten, who survives him. She had a daughter, Gertrude, by her first marriage. This daughter was married in 1912, to a Mr. Jenner and now lives at St. Louis, Mo.
Charles Brainerd was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic; of Full Moon Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and Belvidere Commandery, K.T., of Alton, Ill. He was baptized and united with the Grafton Methodist Church in August 1917. Mr. Brainerd departed this life April 6, 1918, at his home in Grafton, aged seventy-eight years, six months, and twenty-six days.
His father,Jeremiah Brainerd, came to Illinois and passed his last years with his son, Charles at Grafton, where he died at the age of eighty-four years. The mother died in the fifties. Their children were: Samuel, who is deceased; Charles; Mrs. Sara Phillips, who resides in Massachusetts; and David, who is deceased.
Brainerd, George C. a prosperous farmer and stockraiser in the vicinity of Grafton, is one of the substantial men of Jersey County, and comes from a old family that is highly respected in this locality. An extended sketch of this family is given elsewhere in this work. The birth of George C. Brainerd occured at Grafton, November 18, 1875.
After attending the schools of Grafton, Mr. Brainerd entered the Jerseyville High School and was graduated therefrom in 1896, and then took the collegiate course at Ann Harbor,Mich., from which he was graduated in 1899. For some years thereafter, Mr. Brainerd was employed as a bookkeeper and stenographer for a St.Louis (Mo) firm, and on returning to Grafton, he engaged in farming and stockraising and has met with very gratifying success. In addition to his farming, Mr. Brainerd has found time to devote some attention to literature. He is much interested in the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy.
Mr. Brainerd was married June 7, 1906, to Miss Nona Morgan, who was born at Grafton, June 18, 1888. Her parents were born in Illinois. Mr. Morgan now deceased. Her mother, Mrs. Charles Davidson, resides in Peoria, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Brainerd have three children, namely; Ruth, who was born December 22, 1907; Charles B., who was born October 7, 1909; and George E., who was born April 29, 1913. In politics Mr. Brainerd is an independent Republican, and has served as a school director.
Brainerd, Harold Webster, member of the well known mercantile firm of Brainerd, Marshall & Miller, of Grafton, is one of the most progressive and influential men of Jersey County. He was born at Grafton, Ill., July 1, 1883. He attended the village schools until he was nineteen years old, having attended the Ann Harbor ( Mich), high school for two years. Going to St.Louis, Mo., he was in the employ of the Sumner Hardware Company, leaving this concern in the spring of 1903 to engage in business for himself, under the firm name of Amburg & Brainerd. This firm conducted a general merchandise establishment, and built up a large trade, the association continuing until it was served by the death of Mr. Amburg. His interest was then bought by J.S. Marshall and the firm of Brainerd & Marshall was formed. The style continued as above until July, 1915, when H. C. Miller bought an interest and it was changed to the present form of Brainerd, Marshall & Miller. The business has grown from one of $3,000 to $12,000, and the territory covered is a wide one, customers coming in from a long distance. The partners are all sound and experienced business men and their connections are such that they are able to offer a fine and varied stock at prices as low as is consistent with the quality of their goods.
On September 29, 1909, Mr. Brainerd, Mr. Brainerd was married to Miss Bertha Elizabeth Voorhees, a daughter of George R. Voorhees, born at Jerseyville. Mr. and Mrs. Brainerd have the following children: Stattira Lucile, who was born November 27, 1910; Webster Lee, who was born July 12, 1911;Virginia, who was born June 7, 1915, and Benner Voorhees, born December 3, 1917. He is a Republican and was the first city treasurer of Grafton. The Methodist Episcopal Church holds his membership. The record Mr. Brainerd has made is one worthy of emulation, and his success has come through close applications, strict integrity and natural ability.
Bray, Nicholas Francis, M.D.,one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Jerseyville, and a man widely and favorably known throughout the county, was born in Otter Creek Township May 23, 1887, a son of John and Mary (Fitzgerald) Bray, natives respectively of Columbus, Ohio, and Otter Creek Township, Jersey County,Ill. In 1872 John Bray came to Jersey County and engaged in farming and is now living on the farm formerly owned by his father-in-law.
Nicholas Francis Bray attended the grammar and a high school in his native county, and for the subsequent seven years taught school in Jersey County. Having then prepared himself, he matriculated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, St.Louis, Mo., from which he was graduated in 1908. He then spent a year as interne in Jefferson Hospital, St.Louis, after which he came to Jerseyville where he has since been engaged in an active practice. While he was in St.Louis, at the Young Men's Christian Association, he took special courses in literary work at night.
On August 17, 1904, Dr. Bray was married to Nellie Theresa Kelly, born at St.Louis,Mo., a daughter of Archibald and Helen (Tracy) Kelly, natives of Scotland and St.Louis, Mo., respectively. Dr. and Mrs. Bray have two children; Mary V. and Archibald John. Dr. Bray is a Catholic. In politics he is a Democrat and was elected coroner of Jersey County, holding that office for four years. Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, the Western Catholic Union, the Knights of Columbus, and the Order of Owls; while professionally he holds membership in the Jersey County Medical Society, the Illinois State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. A man of scholarly attainments, he has been eminently successful in his practice and is a valued citizen of his county and state.
Breitweiser, Peter, a prosperous farmer and stockraiser of Piasa Township, residing on section 18, is one of the representative agriculturists of Jersey County. He was born at Trenton, N.J., November 27, 1852, a son of Peter and Catherine (Youngblood) Breitweiser, natives of Germany, who came to the United States when they were young. In 1853, the parents moved to Jersey County, and after making several changes, they bought forty acres of land that was covered with timber that had to be cleared off before crops could be planted. Both parents died on this farm. Their children were as follows: Anna, who is the widow of William Goodman, of Nebraska, Peter, who lives at Delhi, Ill., Charles, who lives at Shipman,Ill.; William, who lives at Montgomery County, Ill.; John, who lives at Mississippi Township; Frank who lives in Piasa Township; Fred, who lives in Mississippi Township; and Herman, who lives at Jerseyville.
Peter Breitweiser began working for others as soon as he was old enough, so had few educational advantages, although he attended the Pembroke district school for a little while. In 1880, he began renting land, and continued to do so until 1903, when he bought 160 acres of his present farm, all of which was improved, to which he has added until he now has 210 acres, and he has given fifty acres of land to his son, Orville. He has always carried on general farming and stockraising.
On April 8, 1880, Mr. Breitweiser was married to Sophia Corns, born in Piasa Township, October 22, 1858, a daughter of Samuel and Caroline (Brown) Corns, natives of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Breitweiser have two children, namely; Harry who was born February 1, 1882, ownes 103 acres located near his father's homestead, and he was married to Clementine Mundle; and Orville, who was born March 1, 1887, is now serving in the National Army, during the World War. Mr. and Mrs. Breitweiser belong to the United Brethern Church. He served on the school board and as a highway commissioner, being an honest and efficient official. In politics, he is independent. Fraternally he belongs to Lincoln Camp No. 1902, M.W.A.
Brewster, Bert Marion, M.D.,one of the reliable physicians and surgeons of Jersey County, is engaged in a general practice at Fielden, Ill. He was born at Rolla, Mo., March 5, 1882, a son of Thomas Marion Brewster, a native of Kentucky, who went to Missouri when about twenty-five years old, and locating on a farm near Rolla, he has since lived there. During the Civil War, he served a soldier. His children were as follows: George W., who is deceased; James C., who resides in Oklahoma; James M., who resides in Missouri; Charles D., who lives at Rolla, Mo.; Artelia Mary, who is deceased; and Bert Marion.
Until he was sixteen years old, Dr. Brewster attended the neighborhood schools, and then entered the Steelville Normal School, from which he graduated. He then matriculated in the medical department of Washington University at St.Louis, Mo., from which he was graduated with the degree of M.D., in 1905. During 1905 and 1906, he was assistant physician in the St.Louis City Hospital, and he then located at Fieldon,Ill., where he has built up a very valuable practice.
Dr.Brewster was married to Leila M. Chambers of Godfrey, Ill. Her parents were also born in Illinois. Dr. and Mrs.Brewster have one child, Bertrand Marion, who was born November 22, 1912. He is a member of the Christian Church. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic order and the Modern Woodmen of America, while professionally he belongs to the Jersey County Medical Society, the Illinois State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
Brockman, Herman F., one of the reliable business men in Jersey County, is conducting a first class bakery at Jerseyville. He was born at St.Louis, Mo., Janruary 3, 1860, a son of William F., and Minnie Brockman, both of whom were born in Germany. They came to the United States, locating first at St.Louis, Mo., and in the spring of 1861, came up the river to Jerseyville, where the father worked as a cabinet maker. Here he died in 1863. The mother survived him for many years, dying in 1905. Their children were as follows:William F., who lives at Jerseyville, is a cigar manufacturer; Henry H., who lives at St.Louis, Mo.;Anna, who is deceased; Katherine, who lives at Granite City, Ill.; and Herman F.
Herman F. Brockman attended the Jerseyville schools, until he was thirteen years old,and then began working on a farm. When he was nineteen years of age, he began learning the bakery trade,and in 1887, he established his present business, which he has built up to fine proportions,and he has excellent patronage.
On July 5, 1883, Herman F. Brockman was married to Miss Emma Lareschle, who was born in Jerseyville, December 10, 1858. Her parents came here from Europe. Mr. and Mrs. Brockman have had the following children: Mabel, who is the wife of Lee R. Tunehorst; Paul who is deceased; Cornelius, who is an architect; Fred H., who is in the United States Army; and Adelia C., who is attending the Jerseyville High School. Mr. Brockman is a Christian Scientist. While in national matters, he is a Democrat, he has always taken a strong stand on temperance, and locally supports the candidates of the Prohibition party. Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Court of Honor.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)