Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Cadwallader, Jesse Kersey- now living retired at McClusky, was formerly one of the substantial agriculturists of Jersey County, and served as supervisor, sheriff and as a member of the State Assembly of his native state. He is one of the representative and influential men of the county, and deserves the confidence and esteem he has always inspired. When his country had need of him, although but a lad in years, he responded to its call, and served during the Civil War, so that he is one of its honored veterans.
Mr. Cadwallader was born in Fulton County, Ill., July 31, 1846, son of John and Mary (Branson) Cadwallader, who had the following children; Ruth, who married Caleb Noble, since being widowed has resided in Jerseyville; Ely B., who is deceased; Mary, who married Henry Terry, is widowed and lives at Jerseyville; Adaline, who married J.G. Marston, is deceased; Nannie, who is deceased, and Jesse Kersey. The father of these children came to Illinois when there were still Indians, and with whom he became friendly, and carried on a profitable trade with them. When the land was opened for entry, he secured sixty acres from the government. His death occured in 1880, but the mother survived him many years, not dying until she was ninety-five years old.
Jesse K. Cadwallader attended the schools of his district until he enlisted in the Union Army for service during the Civil War, as a member of Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and he served from 1864 until June 13, 1865, when he was mustered out of Montgomery, Ala. Upon his return, he entered Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, Il., and completed his educational training which had been interrupted by the war. Going back to the farm, he assisted his father until his marriage, and then engaged in farming on his own account, becoming the owner of land on Mississippi and Otter Creek Townships, the family having come to Jersey County in 1858. He continued farming until he was elected sheriff in 1886, and he held that important office for four years. He also served as a member of the State Assembly, being elected on the Republican ticket, and while in the legislature he was on the committee appointed to visit the Soldiers and Sailors Orphans Home at Pontiac. When Mr. Cadwallader made his visit to the institution he found conditions so bad that he immediately reported the matter personally to Governor Tanner and that executive sent for the superintendent, and the three went into the affair very carefully. When the superintendent had proven to Governor Tanner's satisfaction that the appropriation was insufficient, the executive recommended the it be suitable increased, and Mr. Cadwallader saw that that this was done. While giving public matters his attention, Mr. Cadwallader also conducted a boot and shoe business for a time, and then returned to his farm, where he remained until 1914, when he rented it, and returned to McClusky, where he continued to reside.
In 1871, Mr. Cadwallader was married (first) to Louisa M. Dougherty who died February 2, 1914, having borne him one daughter, Mayme D., who died April 16, 1907, at the age of thirty-four years, eight months, and twenty-two days. In September, 1916, Mr. Cadwallader was married (second) to Mrs. Jessie Cadmus, born in Jersey County, March 18, 1882, widow of the late William Cadmus, who died in 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Cadmus had one daughter, Beulah Leone, who has been adopted by Mr. Cadwallader. She is twelve years of age, and has just entered the high school. Mrs. Cadwallader was born in Jersey County, March 18, 1882, a daughter of William Day, who was a well known and respected farmer of Jersey County. She was educated in the schools at Jerseyville, and prior to her first marriage was a successful teacher. She has two brothers and two sisters; Herman L. and Ira E. Day, Mrs. John Roady of Jerseyville and Mrs. George E. Johnson of Medora, Ill. Mrs. Cadwallader is a member of the Eastern Star, Woman's Relief Corp. and Woman's Aid Society. As a public official, agriculturist and business man, Mr. Cadwallader has proven himself in every respect a man of affairs, and worthy of the confidence and respect of all.
Callahan, William G., admittedly one of the most practical and experienced marble men in this section and so known all over the country, has a fine monument establishment at Jerseyville, and also travels as a representive of the Kansas City(Mo) Marble and Tile Co. He was born in Sangamon Co., Ill., in 1862, a son of William and Elizabeth Callahan, natives of Ireland. The father was a stonecutter, who died early in life, in 1866, and the mother died that same year. Their young son was taken by a farmer in Monroe County, but the lad could not stand the conditions of life there, and when only seven years old, ran away to St.Louis, Mo.
In that city he secured employment in a livery stable owned by Louis C. Bowley, with whom he remained until sixteen years old. Once more he ran away, riding on freight trains, to his objective point, Dallas, Tex., and after reaching Dallas, he worked in livery barns. As was but natural under the circumstances, he soon became interested in racing horses, and followed the races at different places. Then he determined to learn the stone cutting trade, and spent five years with the W.F. Menke Stone Company at Quincy, Ill., and having acquired it, he went to St.Louis to work for the Pickett Marble Company, as a marble cutter and setter, and continued to work for this firm and others at different places until 1905, when he came to Jersey County. For four years he conducted a marble cutting business at Grafton, moving it in 1909 to Jerseyville, where he has since been located. Upon coming to the county seat he branched out, his work now including the making of monuments, and he has a trade that extends over a territory which includes all of the leading cities of the country. Owing to his being left an orphan at so early an age, he secured few educational advantages, but travel and experience has made him familiar with and well informed upon many subjects.
In October 1901, Mr. Callahan was married at St.Louis, Mo., to Elizabeth Albright, born in Jersey Co., Ill., a daughter of Louis and Elizabeth Albright, natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Callahan have two children; Margaret Elizabeth and George William. Mr. Callahan is a Catholic, and he belongs to the Knights of Columbus. Politically he is a Democrat. A man like Mr. Callahan deserves much credit because he rose above adverse circumstances and has made a success of his life work through his own unaided efforts.
Campbell, George W. - cashier of the State Bank of Jerseyville, and one of the experienced and conservative bankers of the county, is a man who holds the confidence of all who know him. He is a native son of the county seat, having been born March 18, 1877, a son of Joseph R. and Eleanor (Young) Campbell, who were born near Salisbury, N.C. They moved to Jersey County after their marriage, and engaged in farming in Jersey Township, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Their children were as follows: Laura, James R., and John Y., all of whom reside in Jerseyville; Nannie J., who is Mrs. Edward Martin, of Little Rock Arkansas; Joshua N., and Joseph D., who are both of Jerseyville; Letta C., who is Mrs. James L. Edwards, of Jerseyville; and George W., who was the youngest born.
George W. attended the grammar and high schools of Jerseyville, and when he was twenty-five years of age, he entered the National Bank of Commerce at St.Louis, Mo., as a clerk, remaining with that concern for a decade leaving it to come to Jerseyville as assistant cashier of the State Bank of this city. Two years later he was made cashier and has held this important position ever since.
On April 11, 1906, Mr. Campbell was married to Leita Pearl Noble, who was born at Otterville, this county, a daughter of William H. and Eudora (Chappell) Noble, natives of Jersey County. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have no children. Mr. Campbell is a Presbyterian and has been a trustee of the church since 1916, and treasurer of the Sunday School since 1914. In Politics he is a Democrat. A Mason in good standing, he belongs to the Jerseyville Chapter, R.A.M., and the Jerseyville Lodge, B.P. O.E. and the Jerseyville Camp, M.W.A. During the time he has been connected with the State Bank of Jerseyville that institution has shown the effect of his wise policies, and its standing and worth to the community have increased in value accordingly.
Carlin, Walter Evans - now deceased, was for many years one of the distinguished and useful men of Jerseyville, and is remembered in kindly gratitiude and affection by many who benefitted by his public spirit and generosity. He was born at Carrollton, Ill., April 11, 1844, son of William and Mary Goode Carlin, the former of whom died April 20, 1850. After the death of his father, Walter Carlin remained with his mother and attended the public schools, the Christian Brothers College of St. Louis, Mo., and the University of Wisconsin, at Madison, Wis. On August 17, 1861, he enlisted in defense of his country during the Civil War, in Company A, Thirty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; and was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant. Later he became a first lieutenant, then captain, although too young for the office, yet he was so ranked, and he served on the staff of Gen. J. C. Davis, and later on staff of his brother, Gen. William P. Carlin, a West Point graduate. He was highly commended by General Davis for gallantry at the battle of Chickamauga, when two horses were shot under him.
In April, 1868, Mr. Carlin was married (first) to Mary Cross of Jersey County, a daughter of Hugh and Antoinette (Van Horn) Cross, natives of Summerville, N.J. and New York state, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Carlin had the following children: Hugh C., who died at the age of two years; Mary Eugenia, who is Mrs. Ralph Vandenburg of Peoria, Ill., has two children, Mary J., and Alma F; and Alma who is Mrs. Paul Hamilton, of Jerseyville, Ill., has two children, Helen Eugenia and Pauline Cross. Mrs. Carlin died in March 1880. On June 5, 1883, Mr. Carlin was married(second) to Lina Darneille, born at Chatham, Sangamon County, Ill., a daughter of James M. and Clarissa (Kinney) Darneille, born in Sangamon Co., Ill. By his second marriage, Mr. Carlin had the following children: Clara A., who was Mrs. Everett Alexander, of Jerseyville., died December 4, 1914, and Julie Barr who is a teacher in the Laawerence Junior High School of Springfield, Ill.
Carlin, William, now deceased, was one of the pioneers of Illinois, coming here before this state was admitted to the Union, and because of his own acheivements and his distinguished family connections, is deserving of special mention in a work of this nature. He was born at Fredericksburg, Va., May 31, 1804, a son of Thomas and Elizabeth(Evans) Carlin, natives of Ireland and Virginia, who later lived in Kentucky, and then came to Illinois. There children were as follows: John; Thomas, who became the sixth governor of Illinois; and James, Hugh, Hannnah, and William who have all since passed away.
When he was still a boy, the Carlin family moved to the territory of Illinois, and William Carlin was reared in the WoodRiver district in what was then Madison County. In the fall of 1820 he came to Greene County, entering land near Carrollton, and he developed into a very prominent man. Active as a Democrat, he was elected in 1839, as county clerk, but resigned from that office in 1844, but in 1848, while he was away from home, on a trip to New Orleans, La., on business, he was nominated for circuit clerk, and was elected to that office in December, 1848. His death occured while he was discharging the duties of that office, April 20, 1858.
On December 6, 1826, William Carlin was married to Mary Goode, born at Lynchburg, Va., a daughter of William and Agnes (Cole) Goode, natives of Lynchburg, Va. They later moved to Shelbyville Ky., and still later to St. Genevieve, Mo., where William Goode died.
Carrico, Andrew, whose agricultural success entitles him to a place among the leading farmers of Jersey County, where he owns 266 acres of land, was born in English Township, August 16, 1848, a son of John Clark and Winnie Ann (Van Meter) Carrico, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. After attending the schools of his district, Andrew Carrico worked among the neighboring farmers for a short period, and then went to Call County, Mo., driving there overland. After a year, he drove back to Jersey County and began farming on the homestead, thus continuing for a year, when he went to Blanco Co., Tx., where he had interests, and assisted in conducting a sawmill for a year. Once more he returned to Jersey County, and for two years was engaged in farming the homestead, and then bought forty-five acres of land from his father, forty acres of which were in Greene County, and five in Jersey. On the latter he built his residence, and he kept on adding to his holdings until he now owns 346 acres of land, all except eighty acres being in Jersey County. In 1910 Mr. Carrico turned over his farm to his children and moved to Fieldon, Ill., where for five years he was engaged in a mercantile business. His wife dying January 19, 1915, he sold his business and returned to the farm where he once resided.
On August 20, 1868, Andrew Carrico was married to Sarah L. Ritchie, born at Fieldon, Ill., a daughter of James and Mary Ann Ritchie. Mr. and Mrs. Carrico had the following children: John C. who lives at Alton Ill., Willie, who died at the age of eight years; Cora, who is Mrs. Edward Mourning, lives on her fathers homestead; Elmer, who died in infancy; and Marion R. who lives in Greene County. Mr. Carrico is a Democrat, and served as township collector for two terms, and for many years as a school director.
Carrico, Marion- one of the prosperous farmers of English Township, Jersey County, Ill., who has made a success of his agricultural operations, was born in this same township, September 22, 1850, a son of John Clark and Winnie Ann (Van Meter) Carrico, natives of St.Louis County, Mo., and a grandson of Dennis and Elizabeth (Clark) Carrico. Dennis Carrico was born at Boston, Mass, but his parents were natives of France who came to America at an early day. The maternal grandparents of Marion Carrico were very early settlers of Greene County, Ill., where they entered land from the government. After his marriage, John Clark Carrico bought about 285 acres of land, all in timber, which he improved to a considerable extent. For many years he served as justice of the peace, and died full of years and honors in 1897 when he was seventy-eight years of age. His wife died in 1898 at seventy-six years of age. Their children were as follows; LaFayette, who is of Jersey Co.,;Achsah, who is Mrs. J.L. Seago, of English Township; Andrew and Marion, who are of English Township; Nancy Jane, who is Mrs. C.C.Berry, is now deceased; Mary, who died at the age of fourteen years; Phebe Ann, who is Mrs. F. Bean, is now deceased; and Elizabeth, who died in infancy.Marion Carrico attened the district schools and made himself useful of his father's homestead, where he remained until a year after his marriage in 1874. He then moved on a farm owned by his father in Greene County, where he was engaged in farming until 1898, and in the spring of that year came to the homestead in English Township, buying 145 acres from the other heirs. Of this he has 115 acres under cultivation, the balance being in timber. In addition to his farming, he conducted a threshing machine from the time he was seventeen years old until 1890.
On December 10, 1874, Mr. Carrico was married to Mary Ellen East, born in Greene County, Il., January 10, 1856, a daughter of Elisha and Jane (Wicks) East, natives of Missouri and Cleveland, Ohio, respectively, and granddaughter of William and Mary (Dunham) Wicks, of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Carrico have one son of their own, Sylvester Marion, who was born September 18, 1875. He was married on July 24, 1898, to Nettie Pearl Berry, and they have two sons, namely; Sylvester Everett, who was born August 1, 1899 and Homer Clarence, who was born January 26, 1906. Mrs. Sylvester M. Carrico died November 21, 1912, since which time Sylvester M. Carrico has lived with his parents. Mr, and Mrs. Marion Carrico are notable and charitable, and have given a home to and kindly cared to orphan children, and in the forty-three years of their married life, they have only been three weeks without having orphan children in their home. They adopted a daughter, Eugenia East, born at Dennison Tex., when she was an infant. She is now Mrs. Orville Barry, of Greene Co., Ill., and has two children, namely; Robert Earl and Delbert O. Mr. Carrico belongs to Kane Lodge No. 197. A. F. & A.M. and Mrs. Carrico to the Eastern Star. Their son is also a Mason. In politics, Mr. Carrico is a Democrat. [Transcribed by Billie Trail]
Catt, Stephen - now deceased, was for many years one of the beloved clergymen of the Baptist faith, and a missionary for the Carrollton Baptist Association, whose last years were spent at Jerseyville. He was born at Rotherfield County of Sussex, England, April 10, 1844, and died at Jerseyville, April 27, 1915. Stephen Catt was a son of James and Harriet Catt and the youngest child born to them.
Leaving his native land the day he was seventeen years old, he reached New York City, May 18, 1861, to find the United States in the throes of the civil war, and his sympathies were so enlisted in behalf of the established government that on November 24, 1863, he enlisted in its defense in Company F, Fourth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, at Springfield, Ill., he in the meanwhile having gone west to Illinois. After a faithful and honorable service he was discharged August 29, 1865.
The object of Stephen Catt coming to this country was to join an uncle who lived in Jersey County, but as he had only seventeen cents in his pocket when he landed, he had to make his way west best he could, and was thankful to a Jersey County farmer for giving him a ride from Alton to Jersey County. Naturally a young man of serious mind, it is probable that his experiences as a soldier turned his thoughts toward a religious profession, and he was licensed to preach by the Jerseyville Baptist Church January 30, 1879. For eleven years he served the Carrollton Baptist Association as a missionary, and through his aid the churches at Roadhouse, Palmyra, and Greenfield were erected, while it is estimated that at least ten per cent of the members added to the district under the jurisdiction of this association came through his preaching and earnest endeavors. During his residence at Jerseyville he became a very familiar figure to the people of the county seat, especially any of them who were in need of sympathy, spirtitual inspiration or material aid. He was the friend of the downtrodden and afflicted, and awakened a love for humanity in many a desolate heart and turned hundreds to the church. When he died a multitude gathered to pay homage to the memory of a good man, and while all that is earthly of him has passed away, the work he accomplished will live forever and stand as a monument to him and his.
Rev. Stephen Catt was married November 14, 1866, to Tabitha Smalley, born at Plainfield, Union County, N.J., a daughter of Issac and Nancy (Drake) Smalley, the former of whom was born February 23, 1796, at Plainfield, N.J., and in 1858 came to Jersey County, settling on the edge of Jerseyville, where he died in 1878, the latter surviving him until 1889. Mrs. Catt attended Mrs. Cutting's Seminary at Jerseyville. The children born to Rev. and Mrs. Catt were as follows: Mary H., who is Mrs. George Gard of Los Angles, Cal.,;Isabell, who is a professional nurse; Nellie J., who is Mrs. Dr. Justus White of Auburn, Ill.,; J. Henry who lives at Jerseyville; Stephen W., who is a mail carrier at Jerseyville; Charles I., who lives at Jerseyville; Orville S., who lives at Litchfield, Ill.,; Fannie R. who married Charles S. Jewsbury, lives with her mother; Flora, who is Mrs. William Martin of Moline Ill., and Ethel B., who died when one year old. In politics Mr. Catt was a Republican. Fraternally he belonged to the Masonic Order, and he was an enthusiastic member of the Jerseyville Post, G.A.R., which served as a commander for many years. Mr. Catt lived for thirty-eight years in the house where his widow now lives. [Transcribed by Billie Trail]
Chapman, Walter Joseph, one of the active practicing attorneys of Jersey County, is located at Jerseyville, where he is held in the highest esteem. He was born near Roodhouse, Il., October 18, 1874, a son of William D., and Hannah M.(Mitchell) Chapman, he born at London, England, and she in Northamptonshire, England. In 1870 William D. Chapman came to the United States and spent a year in New York, where he worked in a brickyard. He then came to Whitehall, Ill., and worked for Jacob Tunison for two years, doing farm labor, and then rented land from his employer, that was located near Roodhouse., Ill. Two years later he bought a farm located three miles east of Manchester, Ill., and in 1895, bought another farm in the same vicinity, and was engaged in operating his land until his death, which occured May 19, 1910. His widow still lives on the farm.
Walter Joseph Chapman attended the common and high schools of his native county, and took one term at the Western Normal school, at Bushnell, Ill., another term at the Northern Illinois Normal school at Dixon Ill., from which institution he graduated in 1898, and later took a course at the University of Illinois, Urbana, Ill.. During the winter terms of 1895-6-7-8--9- and 1900, he taught school. In August, 1900, Mr. Chapman was married to Parthena Spencer, of Murrayville, Ill., a daughter of Benjamin F. and Mary (Payton) Spencer, born at Morgan and Hancock counties, respectively. During the first winter following his marriage, Mr. Chapman taught school, and then he entered the office of Thomas Henchaw, at Carrollton, Ill., and continued to read law during the summer months, and teach school in the winter until October, 1905, when he was admitted to the bar. At that time he was principal of the public schools of Medora. For a time he was engaged in the practice of law at Medora, Ill. On August 1, 1906, he came to Jerseyville, and formed a partnership with E.J. Vaughn, which association continued 1910, when the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Chapman remained alone until in October, 1915, when he associated Fred A. DuHadway with him, the latter gentlman having charge of the firm's office at Hardin, Calhoun, Ill.
Mr. and Mrs. Chapman have two children, namely; William Donald, who was born July 27, 1906; and Thelma Faye, who was born November 26, 1911. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and was elected state's attorney in 1908, and held that office until 1916, and during that period proved himself a fearless and energetic prosecutor. A Mason in good standing, he belongs to Jerseyville Chapter , R.A.M., and he also belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Elks. Since 1911, Mr. Chapman has been a member of the library board, and was its president for one year, and was also president of the board of education for one year. A man of great ability and careful training, he is a lawyer of note, and a citizen whose worth has been proven upon many occasions. [Transcribed by Billie Trail]
Chappell, Edwin E., - sheriff of Jersey County, has a record for fearlessness in the pursuit of duty, and success in clearing his county of malefactors, that is remarkable. He is a native son of Jersey County, having been born in Mississippi Township, November 14, 1865, a son of Richard and Minerva Jane (Swan) Chappell, also natives of Mississippi Township. The grandparents, Bartholomew and Grace (Gains) Chappell were born in France and England, respectively; while Nathan and Nancy Jane (Patton) Swan were born in Virginia. Bartholomew Chappell went to England in 1828, and from thence to the United States, locating in Jersey County. Nathan Swan traveled overland from Virginia to Jersey County, with horses and wagons, and located in what is now Mississippi Township. Both sides of the family entered land from the government. Richard Chappell, after his marriage, located on a farm in his native township, and there he died, October 1, 1890, aged fifty-six years. His wife died July 22, 1917, aged seventy-five years. Their children were as follows: Ella Eudora, who is Mrs. Prentice Noble, of Alton, Ill.,; Edwin E., Albert Ross and Richard S., who live in Jerseyville; and William Pearl, who lives at Los Angeles, Cal.
Edwin E. Chappell attended the schools of his district, and grew up on the farm. On July 25, 1890, Mr. Chappell was married to Emma E. Darr, born in English Township, a daughter of Matthew and Eliza Ruth (Beaver) Darr, natives of Jersey Township. Mr. and Mrs. Chappell have one son, Richard Clyde. He was graduated from Jerseyville High School, following which he studied for one year at Shurtleff College in Alton, Ill., was for two years at the Valparaiso Law School, and spent one year in the law department of the Wesleyan University at Bloomington, Ill. He then completed his legal studies at the Lincoln Law School, Springfield, Ill., from which he was graduated with highest honors.
After his marriage, Edwin E. Chappell moved on a farm in Mississippi Township, and there spent two years, when he sold and went to Dow, Ill., where he conducted a meat market for a year. He then came to Jerseyville and acted as Deputy sheriff for four years. At the expiration of his term of office, he went to St. Louis, Mo., and was a conductor on the street cars of that city until 1900. For the following three years he was employed in the ice cream department of the Union Dairy Company, and then was engaged in work on the Exposition grounds at St. Louis, as a guard, conducting the sight-seeing cars. In 1905, Mr. Chappell went to Los Angeles, Cal., and was a conductor on the Los Angles & Pacific Steam and Electric Railroad for two years and four months. Returning to Jerseyville once more, he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, William Noble, and the two carried on a painting contracting business until 1910, when Mr. Chappell was again appointed Deputy Sheriff. At the expiration of the four years, in 1914, he was elected Sheriff of the county and still holds that important office. Mr. Chappell is a Democrat. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Clancy, Rev. John J. - Pastor of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church at Jerseyville, was born in Ireland, June 24, 1886. He made his preparatory studies in Ireland, and in September, 1889, came with a relative to America and entered teh seminary of Our Lady of Angels at Niagara Falls, N. Y. He was ordained priest by Rt. Reb. James Ryan, D. D., Bishop of the Diocese of Alton, in the cathedral at Alton, August 15, 1891. After his ordination he was sent by Bishop Ryan to the Catholic University at Washington, D. C., and remained in Washington until he was appointed paster of the Sacred Heart Church at Dalton City, Ill., being its first resident priest. He remained there until February 1, 1894, when he was sent to take charge of St. Catherine's Church at Virden, Ill., and remained at Virden until September 1, 1899, when he took charge of St. James Church at Riverton, Ill. On October 1, 1914, he arrived in Jerseyville to take his present charge and to assume the task of paying off a large debt, and with the co-operation of a loyal and generous people he is meeting with much success at the present time.
Cockrell, Elias - one of the most highly respected, best known and most substantial men of Jersey County, can look backward many years over an active and useful life and one that has, in its course, been identified with manu unusual features. Mr. Cockrell is a native of Jersey County, born September 8, 1828. His parents were Moses and Kaite Ann (Utt) Cockrell, natives of Portsmouth, Ohio, who came at an early day to Jersey County. Moses Cockrell was well known to river men in early times even as far as New Orleans. He later became a farmer in Jersey County, Ill.
Although school opportunities were far from being as they are at the present time when Mr. Cockrell was a boy, he gained his frist knowledge of books in the school of the old Camp Ground Church, and the primitive log schoolhouses at Gillum Mound and Shelby, and a later wide experience and association with men and important affairs, built on this sound foundation an educational structure that he has found entirely adequate. He remained with his father on the farm until he was twenty-one years of age. On March 28, 1859, with three companions, a pony and four yoke of oxen, he started for the reputed gold fields of Pike's Peak, Col. His companions were John Buckles, John Whipple and Henry Lamb, the two former being deceased. Mr. Lamb lives in Nebraska. This was an adventurous undertaking and by the time the long journey was completed and Pike's Peak reached on the 24th of May, the three companions of Mr. Cockrell were so thoroughly discouraged and homesick that they immediately took three of the four yoke of oxen and turned back on the trail for the old home. Their attitude was not shared, however, by Elias Cockrell. He had met with just as much hardship as his comrades but was made of sterner stuff and having come to the mountains for gold, he determined at least to look for it. Ere long he bought a claim and worked at mining for three months and then accepted a chance to sell it and went to the town of Golden Gate, at the foot of the mountains. There he engaged in logging through the winter, often in snow from one to three feet in depth. IN the spring gold was discovered in California Gulch, Col., and immediately there was a stampede in that direction, in which Mr. Cockrell took part, and when there worked for a company by the day. The discovery of the precious metal at another point, Biven's Gulch, twelve miles further on, brought about a stampede in that direction, miners rushing to the new prospect in the middle of the night. Mr. Cockrell secured a claim there and after mining it for a year with very satisfactory results, sold out and went to Salt Lake, Utah. There is went into the freighting business, buying flour, and with a mule outfit freighted into Montana where he traded the mules for more flour and bought a better outfit. For about six years he continued his freighting business from Salt Lake to Fort Benton and Virginia City and Helena, and then sold his outfit to the United States government.
After disposing of the above business Mr. Cockrell rode a pony down the mountains to Helena and from there traveled by stage to Odgen, Utah. At this time the Union Pacific Railroad had been built with thirty-five miles of Ogden and in that then frontier city, with others, he was able to hire a hack which conveyed them to the construction train on which they were taken to Cheyenne, Wyo. There Mr. Cockrell boarded a passenger train for Kansas City and thus safely reached home. As may be expected, during these years of adventure, Mr. Cockrell many, many times had thrilling escapes from the Indians, and accidents and also from the stampedes of wild buffalo on the plains, notwithstanding, Mr. Cockrell is very modest in describing his courage and resourefulness in facing and overcoming the dangers and hardships that most of his fellow citizens have only read about.
After Mr. Cockell returned to Jersey County he bought a grain elevator at Jerseyville from his brother George Cockrell and Richard Schuler, and this he has conducted continuously ever since 1870, with the exception of one year when he traded it for a farm in Kansas, but rebought and in 1873 he built a lumbar yard at Jerseyville and conducted it in connection with the elevator until 1907, when he sold the lumber and coal business to the Pollack Lumber Company. He has also owned other elevators but has disposed of all except the one at Jerseyville and one at Kane, Ill. He owns a valuable farm of 600 acres at Lavoy, Alberta, Canada. He is a director of the State Bank of Jerseyville.Mr. Cockrell was married December 5, 1871, to Miss Lottie E. Knapp, who was born here, June 21, 1850, a daughter of Colonel and Elizabeth (Halstead) Knapp, and they have had these children: Hattie B.,who is deceased; Frank B., who operates his father's stock and grain farm in Canada; Charles K., who operates his father's elevator at Kane, Ill.; Robert E., who is in business at Alton, Ill., married Tessie Wyoff, and they have one son, Robert W.; George C., who resides at Jerseyville, married Mary E. Lamb, and they have one daughter, Charlotte; and Bessie, who is the wife of Charles Warren of Jerseyville.
In politics Mr. Cockrell has always been a Democrat. He belongs to both the Masons and Odd Fellows at Jerseyville and he and family are members of the Presbyterian Church. He has been one of the solid and dependable men of this city for many years and has always given encouragement to laudable enterprises. He served eight years on the city school board and was a member of the building committee of the Carnegie Library, and also has been for many years on the board of the Jerseyville Building and Loan Association.
Cooper, John - one of the successful general farmers of Richwoods Township, has long been reccognized as one of the substantial men of Jersey County. He was born in Hanover, Germany, August 26, 1854, a son of John and Teressa (Utlman) Cooper. In 1868, the father, with his six children, came to Jersey County, the mother having died in Germany. They located at Fieldon and he rented and cultivated land. His death occurred May 9, 1917, when he was eighty-eight years, five months and two days old. His children were as follows: Albert, who lives in Kansas; John, George and Alfred, who live in Richwoods Township, and Anna, who is Mrs. Walter Dunham.
John Cooper attended the common schools in Germany and accompanied his father to the United States in 1868, and lived with is father until his marriage, which occurred August 7, 1878, to Rosa Weeks. She was born in Greene County, Ill., April 8, 1860, a daughter of William & Rachel (Borruff) Weeks, natives of Greene County. After his marriage, Mr. Cooper moved to his present farm of 220 acres in Richwoods Township, but after two years went to Greene County. Later he returned to his farm, and since then has been conducting it, doing general farming and stockraising and making a success of his understakings.
Mr. & Mrs. Cooper became the parents of the following children: Nettie, who died in May 16, 1917, at the age of thirty-seven years, was Mrs. Steven Reddish, and she left a son, Norman; Robert, who lives in Richwoods Township is married to Virgie Miller, and they have three children, Otis Edna and Robert; Dollie, who is Mrs.Victor Hidershied, has the following children, Evelyn, Morris, Hazel and Leona, and lives in Richwoods Township; Anna who is Mrs. Beman Meadford of Richwoods Township; Rachel, who is Mrs. John Ruch of Richwoods Township, has one child, Everett, and Alma and Bertha, who are at home. Mr. Cooper is a member of the Christian Church. He is a Democrat, and served for twenty years as a school director. Fraternally, he belongs to Feildon Camp, M. W. A. One of the sound and reliable men of this locality, he stands well in the estimation of his neighbors.
Corns, James Wesley - one of the leading contractors and builders of Jerseyville, is a man whose ability and intergrity are unquestioned. He was born at Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio, March 28, 1855, a son of John Wesley and Elizabeth (Scott) Corns, he born in Vanceburg, Ky., and she in Ohio. A marble cutter by trade, the father conducted the largerst yard in the vicinity surrounding Ironton, Ohio. Later he went to Portsmouth, Ohio, where he conducted a yard, but made his home at Wheelersburg, Ohio. In 1889, he took his family to Jerseyville, where he lived in retirement until his death, which occurred in 1901, when he was eighty-five years old. The mother died in 1904 at the age of eighty-five years.
James Wesley Corns attended the grade and high schools in Ohio and when he was fifteen years old he began working at the carpenter trade, in which he was interested until he came to Jerseyvills, at which time he embarked in a contracting and building business, and has so continued ever since. In connection with his contracting business he conducts a repair shop and manufactures sash and doors. He has to his credit the building of some Jerseyville's most substantial buildings. Mr. Corns has never married. His parents had children as follows: Agnes, who is Mrs. Philip C. Young, of Jerseyville; Rhoda and Josephine, who live with their brother, James Wesley; and William, who lives at Jerseyville. In politics, Mr. Corns is a Republican.
Cornwell, Bert C. - a successful farmer and stockman of Jersey County, who operates a valuable farm near Jerseyville, was born in Ohio, July 1, 1875, a son of James H. Cornwell, born in Ohio, who came to Illinois in 1887, and is now living near McClusky, Ill. His wife died when Bert C. Cornwell was only twelve years old. They had two sons and two daughters, namely: E. G., who is a farmer of Jersey County; Bert C.; Nellis M. Chambers, who resides at Alton, Ill.; and Mary Henderson, who resides at Butte, Mont.
Bert C. Cornwell attended the district schools in his native state until he was thirteen years old, and he came to Illinois in 1894, locating near McClusky, where he worked as a farm hand until 1907, when he began farming for himself. Mr. Cornwell specializes on raising Jersey cows, having a small herd, Poland-China hogs, of which he has a large drove, and draft horses. His stockraising operations have been very successful, and he is regarded as an authority along this line.
In 1903, he was married to Miss Cora E. Briggs, who was born in Jersey County, Ill., and her parents were also born in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Cornwell have two daughters; Leta M. and Mary Margaret. Fraternally, Mr. Cornwell is a Modern Woodman. His political faith makes him a Republican.
Coulthard, William H., - one of Jerseyville's respected citizens and well known business men, has long been interested in the grain business, and is owner and operator of a grain and feed mill in this city. he was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, July 16, 1842. His father, John Coulthard, was born in England and when young was brought to Ottawa, Canada by his parents. Later he move to Akron, Ohio, and still later to Tuscarawas County. The maiden name of his wife ws Hardisty and she died when their son William was an infant. John Coulthard was a miller by trade and followed the same in the places where he lived, his last residence being in Bourbon County, Ky.
William H. Coulthard had but meager educational advantages in boyhood, but he was given practical instruction by his father in the milling business. In Bourbon County, Ky., on August 15, 1862, he enlisted for service in the Civil War, becoming a member of Company A, Fourteenth Kentucky Cavalry, and was honorably discharged September 16, 1863, having served fourteen months, mainly in the dangerous field of scouting, in the Army of the Cumberland. He continued in the service of the government until the close of the war, being connected with the quartermaster's department at Paris, Ky. He then went on a farm near Lima Ohio, until 1872, when he made a vistit to Kansas, and on his return worked as a stationary engineer at Carrollton, Ill., until 1873, when he came to Jerseyville and for ten years afterwards was engineer in a grain elevator. For eighteen months he was foreman of an elevator in East St. Louis, but returned then to Jerseyville, and conducted the old Massy elevator for three years under renatl; then had charge of an elevator at Medora, following which he came back to Jerseryville and with Elias Cockrell purchased the Cockrell elevator in Jerseyville. They jointly built the elevator at McClusky, which they conducted together for four years. Mr. Coulthard then bought his partner's interest at McClusky, and sold his interest in Jerseyville. Later he also sold his interest at McClusky, and upon his return to Jerseyville, he bought the old Newton Machine Shop, which he has turned into a grain and feed mill.
On December 8, 1864, Mr. Coulthard was married to Miss Elizabeth M. Terry, a daughter of Cranford Terry of Owen County, Ky. She died December 13, 1911, the mother of four children, namely: John, who died at the age of four years; Howland P., who lives at Oklahoma City, Okla.; Ida, who is a public school teacher; and Eva Ann. In politics, Mr. Coulthard is a Democrat. He belongs to the Odd Fellows and the order of Rebekah, and also the Modern Woodmen of America. He is post commander of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Cowen, Francis Marion - now deceased, was for many years one of the prosperous farmers of Jersey Township, owning 160 acres of valuable land just outside the corporate limits of Jerseyville. He was born at Jerseyville, February 11, 1839, and he died at Jerseyville, April 24, 1894. He was a son of John Cowen, born in Vermont, February 12, 1807, and Mariah (Corey) Cowen, born in Vermont, April 29, 1810. John Cowen was a farmer who came to Jersey County at an early day.
Francis Marion Cowen was married (first) at Jerseyville, October 24, 1860, to Mary Sweeney, who died in 1866. He was married (second) to Mary Landon, on April 30, 1868. She was born at Jerseyville, January 19, 1847, a daughter of William D. and Alvira (Corey) Landon. Mr. Cowen had the following children: Emma Viola, who is now Mrs. J. M. Bond; Ella Mae, who is Mrs. E. B. Wagoner; Lora Alice, who is Mrs. W. P. Richards; Lela Maria; Frank M.; Oscar, who died i 1872; M.Myrtle; Alvira, who is Mrs. O. R. Randolph; Edna Marion, who died in 1901. Mr. Cowen belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church. A man of industrious habits and successful in his undertakings, he amassed a comfortable fortune,and firmly established himself in the confidence of his community, which lost a good citizen when he died.
Cummings, Thomas H. (first source) - one of the retired farmers of Jerseyville, and formerly a successful agriculturist of Jersey County, was born in Mississippi Township, in September, 1863, a son of Christopher C. and Phebe (Hamilton) Cummings, the former of whom was born in Mississippi Township, April 14, 1831 and the latter at Trenton, N. J., in December, 1835. The paternal grandparents were Thomas and Mary Ann (Carroll) Cummings, the former of whom was born in Monroe County, Ill.,in 1800. Ther paternal great-grandparents were natives of Scotland who came to Connecticut and later overland with ox-teams to Illinois. The maternal grandparents were John G. and Dorothy (Creque) Hamilton, the former of whom was born in New Jersey, of Scotch parentage, and the latter in New Jersey, of Spanish ancestry.
The grandfather, Thomas Cummings, moved from Monroe County, Ill., to Jersey County, Ill., locating in the southern portion. He was born in a blockhouse in Monroe County, about 1800, at a time when his parents had taken refuge in it from the Indians. When he came to Jersey County, about 1820, the land he entered from the government was partly in the timber and part in the prairie, and he developed it all, and added to his holdings until at the time of his death he owned 3,500 acres of land in Jersey and Macoupin counties. During 1845-6, he served in the Illinois General Assembly. His father Josiah Cummings, was a soldier under General Wade, at the battle of Bennington, Vt., during the American Revolution, and he also served in the Black Hawk War. The maternal grandfather of Thomas H. Cummings, John G. Hamilton, came to Godfrey, Madison County, Ill. He served during the War of 1812. He was a son of John Hamilton who came from West Indies. The Hamiltons were mechanics and made scythes and other implements, and did all kinds of repair work.
Christopher C. Cummings and Phebe Hamilton were married in Decemver 1855, after which they located ona farm in Mississippi Township, and subsequently acquired about 800 acres of land in Jersey and Macoupin counties, and he became an extensive farmer and raiser of stock. He died June 20, 1897. In the fall of that same year his widow moved to Jerseyville. Their children were as follows: Thomas H.; John F., who lives at Washington, D. C.; Sarah C., who is Mrs. George H. Van Horne; Harry C., who lives in Morrisonville, Ill., has one son; and William C., who live in Alton, Ill.
Thomas H. Cummings has never married, but resides with his widowed mother at Jerseyville. During his boyhood he attended the Black Jack district school, and spent his active years in farming, owning at one time a large amount of land. At present he still owns 240 acres of the old homestead, that he has rented to a tenant, and now enjoys the comfort his industry has provided. Mr. Cummings has no fraternal affiliations, but his father was a charter member of the Jerseyville Masonic Lodge. In politics, Mr. Cummings is a Republican.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919 - Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919 - (Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)
Cummings, Thomas H. (second source), The Cummings Family - Probably the oldest family in this state if the Cummings family of Jersey County. Mr James Cummings and wife settled near what is now Waterloo, Monroe County, in the year 1799, Tuesday of last week his great-grand-daughter, Miss Mary Bell Cummings, was married at the residence of her father, Mr. Columbus C. Cummings, near Jerseyville, to Mr. Geo. H. Ban Horne, whose fatehr settled in Jersey County some forty years ago.
Miss Cummings, as well as her father and grandfather, were born in Illinois. Miss Cummings' grandfather was born in the year 1800, near Waterloo. The family have resided in Jersey County between sixty and seventy years. Mr. Jas. Cummings was a Revoluntary Soldier. Mr. Thomas Cummings, the grandfather was during his lifetime one of the most influential men of Jersey County, her respresented Jersey and Greene Counties in the lower house of the legislature once or twice, he died in the fall of 1859, he was a man of most generous impulses and was respected by all who knew him.
He had great faith in the future of Illinois and entered nearly two thousand acres of land in Macoupin, Christian and other counties, from this wise move on the part of their father, each of his five children is now provided with several large farms and can and do take life easily. All of his children are living in this state and four of them live in Jersey County. The widow of Thos. Cummings is still living and enjoys greatly to talk of early times in Illinois. - Edwardsville Intelligencer.
[Source: Alton Evening Telegraph - dated: Nov. 28, 1881 on page 3]
Curry, Arthur B., M. D. - one of the efficient and capable physicians and surgeons of Grafton, is widely and favorably known all over Jerseey County. He was born on a farm in Shelby County, Ill., a son of Frank Curry, who not only was hiimself born in Illinois, but his parents were also natives of the same state. Frank Curry belonged to the Christian Church, was a Democrat, and fraternally was affiliated with the Court of Honor. He held a number of township offices and was a man of local prominence, who spent his active years in farming. He was married to Ruth Blythe, who was also born in Illinois. She is a grand-niece of the celebrated David Crockett, pioneer, hunter, politician and humorist, and she has the first copy of his autobiography that came off the press, it having been given into her mother's hands by Mr. Crockett himself. Frank Curry and his wife became the parents of the following children: Arthur B., Joseph J., who is living on the Curry homestead; Walter, who is now deceased. Frank Curry has passed away, but his widow survives.
Arthur B. Curry after leaving the local schools, entered the State Normal School at Charleston, Ill., and after three years attendance, went into a life insurance business, and was so engaged for about a year. He then took up osteopathy and chiropractice, later entering the medical department of Loyola University, and was graduated therefrom in 1914, and was admitted to practice by the state authorities that same year. For the subsequent two years he was engaged in practice at Chicago, and then came to Grafton, where he has since remained. Dr. Curry was married to Frances F. Freeman, who was born in Coles County, Ill., and her parents were also born in Illinois. At the time of his death, her father was county treasurer of Coles County. Dr. and Mrs. Curry have two children: agnes Blythe, who ws born September 10, 1915; Frank Freeman, who was born April 11, 1917. Dr. Curry combines osteopathy and chiropractice with his regular practice, and has been very successful. He also specializes on diseases of the eye. Politically he is a Democrat in national matters, but locally prefers to vote for the man rather than be bound by party lines. The Christian Church holds his membership, and he was an elder in the Jackson Boulevard Christian Church of Chicago Medical Society and the Illinois Medical Society. A scholarly man, he is thoroughly abreast of the times, and is worthy of the confidence he inspires.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)