Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Eagleton, Benjamin P. - one of the extensive stockraisers of Jersey County, and a man widely known and universally respected, operates a magnificent farm in Richwoods Township. He was born in Illiinois, March 21, 1895, a son of L. and Minnie Eagleton. His father, who is one of the prominent practicing attorneys of Peoria, Ill., is senior member of the well known firm of Eagleton, Stone & Isley, and at one time served as judge on the Probate Court of Peoria, and has been connected with some very important jurisprudence in this part of the state.
Benjamin P. Eagleton attended the grammer and a high school in his native county, and the University of Illinois. In the summer of 1915, he came to his present farm of 1,000 acres which is owned by his father. Of this land, 500 acres are in pasturage and 500 acreas are in a high state of cultivation. On this farm, Mr. Eagleton raieses Duroc-Jersey hogs and sheep and registered Hereford cattle an his a large feeder of cattle. The latest and most scientific methods are used in all of his work, and he is making a name for himself among the leading agriculturists of the county. Mr. Eagleton is not married. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church. in politics he is a Democrat.
East, George - who is engaged in farming in the vicinity of Jerseyville belongs to an honored family of Jersey County. He was born in the county, July 6, 1866, a son of Elijah East, born in Missouri, who came to Jersey County about 1850. For many years he carried the mail between Hardin, Calhoun County and Jerseyville. Elijah East married Jane Weeks, born in Ohio, and they had the following children: Amy, who lives in Texas; Mary Carrie, who lives in Jersey County; John and Charlie, who are deceased; and George.
George East remained with his parents and after the death of his father, he took care of his mother during the fifteen years she survived him. When he frist began farming on his own account, he rented land but later bought and has been successful as a farmer. He married Miss Lilly Gier, who was born in Greene County, Ill., but her parents were natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. East became the parents of the following children: George Leonard, Parker Lafayette, Marion Clinton, and Fred, all of whom are at home; Dennis; and Henry Clay.
A Democrat, he served as highway comissioner. The Baptist Chruch holds his membership. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodman of America.
Eastham, Charles H. - junior member of the general contracting firm of U. K. Eastham & Son, of Jerseyville, is one of the successful young business men of Jersey County. He was born at Fidelity, Jersey County, Ill., June 5, 1881, son of Urban K. and Emma (Rodell) Eastham, he born near Medora, Macoupin County, Ill., and Adolph and Caroline (Sellars) Rodell, natives of Switzerland. Adolph Rodell was a very early settler of Jersey County, and a blacksmith by trade.
After their marriage, Urban K. Eastham and his wife settled at Fidelity, where he carried on a carpenter and contracting business until 1904, when he moved to Jerseyville, at which time he and his son, Charles H. Eastham, formed the U. K. Eastham & Son. Since then they have developed a substantial general contracting business, and have erected some of the finest buildings, not only at Jerseyville, but also within a radius of one hundred miles from the county seat.
Charles H. Eastham attended the public schools of his native place and took a correspondence course in architecture with the International Correspondence School. When he was twelve years old he began working at the carpenter trade with his father, and continued with him until 1900, when he went to St. Louis and worked as a journeyman there until 1903. He then came to Jerseyville, and began as a general contractor, continuing alone a year, and then taking his father into partnership.
On December 25, 1902, Mr. Eastham was married to Florence A. Corzine, born in Fidelity Township, Jersey County, a daughter of J. F. and Ann (Bacon) Corzine, natives of North Carolina and Philadelphia, Pa., respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Eastham have three children, namely: Hollis Vincent, Kermet Eugene, and Imogene Juanita. In politics Mr. Eastham is a Democrat and he served as alderman of the Second Ward for two terms. Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, Odd Fellows and Encampment, and the Elks. His religious affiliation is with the First Baptist Church of Jerseyville.
Eckhard, Rev. Ernest J. - pastor of the Church of the Holy Ghost, at Jerseyville, Ill., was born in Alton, Ill., November 9, 1880, a son of Charles and Joesphine (Vatterott) Eckhard, natives of Niederorschel Eichsfeld, Germany. They were married in the state of New York, and there they lived until 1870. In that year the family moved to Alton, Ill., where the father worked in a lime kiln for nineteen years, and then became a merchant. His death occurred in 1900, and the mother died in 1894. Their children were as follows: teresa, Christopher, Frances, Henry, August, Ernest J., Charles, Joseph, John, Bertha, who is Mrs. James Dooley, and Mary.
Ernest J. Eckhard attended St. Mary's Catholic school, at Alton, Ill., and Josephinum College, at Columbus, Ohio, and was ordained priest on June 8, 1906. For one year he was professor of church music at Josephinum College, and was assistant chaplain at St. John's Hospital, Springfield, Ill., for five years. On October 12, 1918, he bacame pastor of the Church of the Holy Ghost at Jerseyville, and of St. Mary's Church, Westwoods, English Township.
The Holy Ghost parish was organized Thanksgiving Day, November 29, 1883, with Rev. F. A. Marks as the first pastor, and Henry Scheffer and Charles Schneider as the first lay trustees. The second pastor was Rev. William Pietsch, who assumes charge in September 1910, and remained until succeeded by Father Eckhard. The first church building was purchased from the Presbyterians, and in it services were held until September 20, 1884, when the building was destroyed by fire. The parish immediately erected a brick church edifice, Lucas Pfeifenberger of Alton, Ill., being the architect, and Howell Brothers, the contractors. The contract price was $6,108.75. Later on a frame building was purchased from the Lutherans, and has been used for school purposes. The first teacher of the school was H. Hoheisel, but it is now in charge of the Catholic Sisters. Father Eckhard is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Western Catholic Union.
Edsall, Edwin P. - supervisor of his township, president of the school board and one of the most public-spirited and patriotic citizens of Jersey County is conducting a profitable insurance business at Grafton. In these days when a man's worth to his country is proven by his actions, Mr. Edsall measures up to the highest standards, and sets an example for others to follow. He was born near Grafton, May 31, 1866, a son of William H. and Rachel (McCrory) Edsall. William H. Edsall ws born in what was then Greene County,but is now a portion of Jersey County, Ill. During the Civil War, he served for four years in Company 1, One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was wounded while on a Mississippi River boat by a shot that penetrated the cabin of the boat and hit him. In spite of his injury, he survived and is now living on his eighty-acre farm in this county. The mother died when Edwin P. Edsall was eight years old, and the father was married (second) to Mrs. Emma Compton, whose parents were of southern birth. By his first marriage, the father had in addition to Edwin P., the following children: Allen, Charles, who is deceased: and Leslie L. By his second marriage, he had two sons, namely; William A., and Thomas J. The father belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics he is a Republican, having served as a school director and school trustee and assessor of Otter Creek Township. He belongs to the Salurian Lodge, No. 449, I. O. O. F., of Grafton, Ill.
Until he was twenty-one years old, Edwin P. Edsall attended school, first in the home neighborhood and then at the Valparaiso (Ind.) Normal School, and in 1887, he located at Grafton. Associated in various enterprises he is now building up a fine patronage of insurance and represents the Northwestern Mutual of Milwaukee, Wis, the National Fire Insurance Company, the Security Insurance Comapny, and the American Insurance Company, maintaining his offices in the Ruebel Hotel Building.
On December 21, 1892, Mr. Edsall was married to Miss Callie Whitfield, who was born in Jersey County. They have no children. Always very much interested in the good roads movement and the attention to the public schoools, he has given much of his time and attention to these subjects and a good deal of the progress made along both lines is due to his intelligent work. In 1914, Mr. Edsall attended the deepwater convention at Stillwater, Minn., and has otherwise rendered valuable assistance to this movement. A stalwart Republican, he cast his first presidential vote for Benjamin Harrison in 1888, and has continued ever since to support the candidates of the Republican party. At present he is couny central committeeman of his party, and has held that office for several years. For a long period he was township clerk, and in 1917, he was elected township supervisor. He is now president of the Grafton board of education, and is constantly doing something to add to the comfort and pleasure of the children, of whom he is very fond. Mr. Edsall has served Grafton as alderman, and from March 15, 1902, until July 5, 1915, he served as assistant postmaster, and from July 5, 1907 to June 1915, served as postmaster. Both he and Mrs. Edsall are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Fraternally, he bleongs to Salurain Lodge, No. 449, I. O. O. F.; Ernest Lodge, No. 459, K. P.; Riverside Camp No. 1067, M. W. A.; Goldenrod Camp, No. 885, Royal Neighobrs, and he was passed all the chairs in the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias. In 1917, he was sent by his lodge as delegate to the state convention in 1918. With the increased demands made by the war, Mr. Edsall continues to prove himself efficient and is serving on the Registration board, is Township Food Administrator and associate member of the Legal Advisory board. His public spirit has prompted him to assume additional work in behalf of the Y. M. C. A. and the Red Cross. It is his belief, which is shared by all of the worth-while men of the countyr, that now is the time for party lines to be forgotten, and for all to work together as Americans. With him, his country comes first, and then his county and city, and in their behalf, Mr. Edsall will always be found working to bring about the best results, regardless of the cost to himself or the labor involved.
Edwards, Frederick Marshall - representing the National Refining Company for the counties of Jersey, Greene and Calhoun, with headquarters at Jerseyville, is one of the prominent men of Jersey County, and comes of an old honored family of this section. He was born at Delhi, Ill., August 25, 1873, a son of Henry D. and Mary T. (Howeller) Edwards and grandson of Andrew and Mary (Darrington) Edwards. A sketch of the Edwards family appears elsewhere in this work.
After attending teh district schools, Frederick Marshall Edwards took a course at Shurtleff College at Upper Alton, Ill., and in the Gem City Business College at Quincy, Ill., and then entered Washington University at St. Louis, Mo., where he remained two years, and then began teaching school. A year later, in 1898, he embarked in mercantile business at Delhi, and was appointed postmaster, holding that office for eight years. In February, 1903, he moved to Sapulpa, Okla., where he was clerk for the "Frisco Railroad in the master mechanic's office unitl 1909, at which time he removed to Delhi, Ill., and in 1914 bought the interest of the others heirs in the Edwards homestead in Piasa Township. This property comprises 200 acres of vary valuable land, and he conducted it until 1915, when he rented his farm and moved to Jerseyvillle. For the subsequent year he was connected with the English Station Hardware Company, and then on November 1, 1916, he assumed the duties pertaining to his present position, and is proving his ability in this direction.
On July 14, 1898, Mr. Edwards was married to Lora F. Terry, born at Otterville, Ill., a daughter of Henry C. and Mary A. (Cadwallader) Terry. She attended the Hamilton primary school at Otterville, and the Jerseyville High School, and also took private music lessons. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards have two sons, namely: Terry Warren, who was born December 13, 1899, who was graduated from the Jerseyville High School as president of his class when only sixteen years old, is now taking a course in mechanical engineering in the University of Illinois, at Urbana, Ill.,; and Marshall Henry, who was born June 27, 1902, is a graduate of the Jerseyville High School. Mr. Edwards is a Republican. He belongs to the Methodist Eipiscopal Church and is a teacher in the Sunday school. While living at Delhi, he was a teacher in the Sunday school for several years. Fraternally he is a Mason and belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. A native son of the county, Mr. Edwards has never ceased to take a deep interset in the progress of this section, and has aided materially to its development.
Edwards, Henry D. - now deceased, but for many years a substantial business man of Delhi, is remembered for his many excellent traits of character. He was born in Ohio, February 24, 1837, a son of Andrew and Mary (Darlington) Edwards, the former of whom was born in Mercer County, Pa., May 11, 1808, a son of David and Catherine Edwards, also natives of Pennsylvania. In 1849, Andrew Edwards brought his family to Jersey County, Ill., and raised a crop that same summer. In October of that same year he bought 120 acres of land in Piasa Township, on which he lived until his death on June 4, 1867.
Henry D. Edwards was the better educated than the majority of farmer's sons of his day, attending McKendree College for two years, after which he taught school and was engaged in surveying for a number of years. On November 9, 1872, he was married to Mary T. Howeller, who was born at Louisville, Ky., April 20, 1850, a daughter of Fred Howeller, who died and she was reared by Thomas Marshall of Delhi. After his marriage, Henry D. Edwards bought a store and the building in which the business was located at Delhi. A year later he formed a partnership with M. V. Hamilton, and this connection continued until 1882, when Mr. Edwards sold his interests to Mr. Hamilton. In the meantime he had, in 1872, been appointed agent for the Chicago & Alton Railroad at Delhi, and the increasing volume of his business had necessitated his retiring from the mercantile business. In October, 1902, he resigned his agency on account of ill health, and went to Sapulpa, Okla., where he remained until 1911, when he went to Ellensburg, Wash., where he died April 7, 1912. His wife survives and now lives in Ellensburg with her sons, Jerome Y., who was born May 20, 1875; and Andrew J., who was born October 5, 1891. All his life Henry D. Edwards was a man of determination and when in his vigor he accomplished whatever he set out to do, and wehn he died, he left behind him a record for honesty of purpose and uprightness of living many would do well to emulate.
Egelhoff, Charles - enjoys the privilege of living on the farm in English Township, Jersey County, Ill., where he was born June 21, 1881. He is a son of John and Maria (Arkerbaur) Egelhoff, natives of Germany. These parents came to the United States at differenty times and were married in Jersey County, after which they located for a time at Jerseyville and Alton. In 1877, he bought 200 acres of land in English Township, which was then covered with timber, and he worked hard to clear and improve his land. His death occurred in February 1914, and the mother died in December, 1916. Eight of their ten children survive, and of them all, Charles is the youngest.
Remaining at home, Charles Egelhoff attended the district schools and learned how to farm from his father, and was taught lessons of thrift and industry by both of his excellent parents. When only twenty-two years old, he assumed charge of the homestead, which he still operates and bought it in 1908, and is a very successful man.
On January 20, 1904, Mr. Egelhoff was married to Minnie May French, born in Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of William and Catherine French. Mr. and Mrs. Egelhoff have no children. He was confirmed in the German Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Democrat, but he has not cared to hold office, his time and attention being absorbed by his farm industries.
Ely, Archibald Foreman - a prosperous general farmer of Fidelity Township, was born in Jersey Township, June 28, 1849, a son of Isaac R. and Mary Ann (Christopher) Ely, he born near Hightstown, N. J., she in Preble County, Ohio. The Ely family is of English descent, three brothers having come to Massachusetts at a very early day. The paternal grandparents were Richard R. and Amy (Foreman) Ely, and the maternal grandparents were John and Jennie (Hollinshade) Christophier, natives of Pennsylvania. They all came to Jersey County some time between 1837 and 1839, bought land and lived on it for many years. Richard R. Ely was the founder of the Baptisit Church at Jerseyville. After the parents of Archibald F. Ely, wre married they located near Jerseyville, and in the spring of 1850 bought land in the Paradise neighborhood in Fidelity Township, where they lived until 1890, when they retired to Jerseyville. There the father died in 1904, aged eighty years, and the mother in 1911, aged eighty-four years. Their children were as follows: John C., who died in 1900, aged fifty-three years; Archibald F., and George I., who died in 1912, aged fifty-seven years.
Archibald F. Ely attended the Prairie Union District school, and learned farming from his father. On October 3, 1872 he was married to Adelia E. Miner, and after his marriage he lived for one year on his father's farm, and then came to his present farm of 100 acres in Fidelity Township. In 1890, he returned to his own farm, where he is still carrying on general farming, which has always claimed his attention.
Mr. and Mrs. Ely have had the following children born to them: Arthur Leroy, who is at home; Alma E., who is Mrs. William Porter of Fidelity Township; Miner I., who lives in Wisconsin; and Richard F., who lives in Macoupin County, Ill. Mr. Ely is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Democrat and he served two terms as township collector, and was a school director for twenty-six years. Fidelity Camp, M. W. A. holds his membership.
Enos, Joseph W., M. D. - one of the most progressive physicians of Jersey County, is successfully engaged in practice at Jerseyville. He was born at Marine, Ill., March 30, 1858, a son of Charles R. and Eliza Ann (Thorp) Enos, he born March 12, 1815, at West Eaton, N. Y. and she born at Boston, England, March 11, 1815. They were married February 2, 1845. He died May 12, 1910, and she died May 18, 1897. The paternal grandfather, Joseph Enos, was born in Rhode Island, January 7, 1783, and died October 21, 1866, and his wife, Hannah (Patterson) Enos was born at Weatherford, Conn., June 21, 1786, and died August 27, 1841. The great-grandfather, Joseph Enos, was born in Rhode Island, August 2, 1758, and was a soldier in the American Revolution being one of six of the Enos family to serve in this was. He was married at Hopkinson, R I., January 5, 1780, to Thankful Coon, born September 16, 1763. She died April 5, 1858, and he died at Naasu, N. J., June 12, 1835.
Charles R. Enos and his wife were married at St. Louis, Mo. He was a mechanic, farmer and physician, and about 1848 moved to Madiscon County, Ill., where he remained until 1883, when he came to Jerseyville and practiced medicine as long as his health permitted. Dr. Joseph W. Enos attended the public schols of Madison County, and in 1879 matriculated at the Cincinnati (Ohio) Medical College, a year later entering Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1881. Immediately thereafter, he entered upon a general practice at Jerseyville, but only remained there for three months, and then moved to Edwardsville, Ill., and after six years went to Alton, Ill., where he conducted a sanitarium for five years. On account of ill health, he sought outdoor life for a time and began conducting a farm in Jersey County, and after two years was sufficiently recovered to resume practice at Jerseyville, where he has been since remained with the exception of three years spent in practice at Boulder, Colo., and three years spent at Denver, Colo. Of late years, Dr. Enos has specialized in chronic diseases, and has been very successful in his treatment of them. Professionaly he belongs to the American Associaltion of Progressive Medicina, American Institute of Homeopathy and the Illinois Homeopathic State Association.
On February 9, 1882, Dr. Enos was married to Eva J. Cory at Jerseyville. She was a daughter of Abner and Margaret (Shellman) Cory, born at Jerseyville. Dr. and Mrs. Enos had the following children: Helen Augusta, who is Mrs. Albert Harral of East St. Louis, Ill.; Margaret Leone, who is Mrs. Loren Oscar Lendon of Alton, Ill.; Joseph Dudley, who lives at Bald Mountain, Colo., married Marian Viola Richards; Florence Elizabeth who is Mrs. George Albert Works of Vernon, Tex.; Edna Corey, who died at the age of six years, and Edith C., who died at the age of a few months. Mrs. Enos died July 7, 1900. On March 3, 1903, Dr. Enos was married (second) to Margaret J. Taylor, born August 28, 1874, at Topeka, Kas., a daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Yerkes) Taylor of Illiinois. Dr. Enos is independent inhis political views. Fraternally he is a Chapter Mason, belonging to the Jerseyville Lodge, and he is also a member of Jereryville Lodge No. 954, B. P. O. E.
Ewin, Charles William - one of the native sons of Jersey County, and an enterprising young agriculturalist of Fidelity Township, was born in Mississippi Township, December 16, 1892, a son of Edward and Clara (Bohn) Ewin, natives of England and Brighton, Macoupin County, Ill., respectively. The maternal grandparents were William and Ellen (Hurley) Bohn, she born in Kentucky and he is Illinois. William Bohn was a son of Henry Bohn, born in Germany. The Bohn family early settled in Macoupin County, Ill., and after their marriage, Edward and Clara (Bohn) Ewin settled on a farm in Fidility Township, but later moved to Mississippi Township, where he engaged in farming for some years. He then bought 240 acres of land in Mississippi Township and sixty in Fidelity Township, selling farm south of town in 1902, to move to Jerseyville, where he lived for seven years. When he sold his homestead in 1903, he invested in 240 acres in Fidelity Township, and 160 acres in Macoupin County, just across the county line from Fidelity Township. In 1910, he moved to Piasa, Ill., where he is now living in retirement. He and his wife had the following children: Ralph Edward, who lives in Fidelity Township; Charles William, who is now in France, in the Marine Aviation Service; and Mabel Ellen who is with her parents.
Charles William Ewin attended the grammer and high schools of Jerseyville, and lived at home until he attained his majority, at which time he began farming for himself on the 240-acre farm in Fidelity Township farm owned by his father. He is not married and a man and his wife attend to his housekeeping affairs for him. His political faith is that of the Republican party. Fraternally he belngs to the Masonic Lodge at Shipman and has attained the Thrity-second degree, and the Modern Woodmen of America, at Piasa.
Ewin,John - president of the Bank of Fidelity, which he assisted in organizing, and one of the heavy landowners of Jersey County, has long been accounted one of the leading men of Fideltiy. He was born in Westmoreland, England, February 28, 1862, a son of William and Elizabeth (Harrison) Ewin who died in England.
On March 21, 1886, John Ewin and his brother Edward arrived at Jerseyville, and they immediately secured work in the American bottoms on a farm located in Madison County, being employed by Hampton Montgomery. A year later, John Ewin returned to Jersey County and for a year was engaged in farming on a Jersey Township farm, and then for the following two years he and his brother Edward were engaged in an agricultural venture on that same farm. John Ewin then took charge of the Daniel Still farm and conducted it for four years. In 1891, he rented a farm between Bunker HIll and Carlinville, in Macoupin County, and conducted it until he bought a farm of eighty acres in Fidelity Township, located one-half mile from Fidelity, on which he erected a residence and made other improvements, and has since conducted it, still making it his home. Mr. Ewin now owns 400 acres in Macoupin County, and about 560 in Jersey County, renting all but his homestead. He has been a large raiser of cattle and mules and he is now selling his product to the French government. When the Bank of Fidelity was organized he tok a prominent part, and continues its president. A Republican, he has served in public office, has been a justice of the peace many years, and has also been a school director and assistant postmaster of Fidelity. His fraternal connections are with Fidelity Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and with Modern Woodmen of Ameica, and he has served the latter order as advisor and watchman.
On August 26, 1891, Mr. Ewin was married to Annie L. Carter born iin Fidelity Township, August 8, 1868, a daughter of William H. and Lucy (Brown) Carter, natives of Madison County. Mr. and Mrs. Ewin have had the following children born to them; Eva E., who is Mrs. Harold Kirchner, of Fidelity Township, has one son, Earl H.; Rose L., who is at home; William Paul, who was married to Mryl Moore, has one child, Kathyrn L.; and Lucy Myrtle; Isabel B.; Ruth A.; John C. and Glen Edward, who are all at home.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)