Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Fahey, David D. - one of the properous and well known business men of Jerseyville, has built up a very fine trade in groceries, and his store commands some of the best patronage of the county seat and the surrounding country. He was born at Jerseyville, July 10, 1877, a son of David and Hannah (Hayes) Fahey. Growing up at Jerseyville, David D. Fahey attended both the public and parochial schools, and was at the Christian Brothers College at St. Louis, Mo., for two years, after which he retruned to Jerseyville, being then twenty-one years of age, and began clerking. Until 1909, he was engaged as a clerk by several employers, and having by then acquired a valuable experience and knowledge of the trade, he established himself in a general grocery business at the corner of Arch Street and the Chicago and Alton Railroad, and has built up a very desirable trade.
On June 22, 1910, Mr. Fahey was married to Julia I. Bane, born in Jersey County, May 5, 1881, a daughter of William and Sarah Mary (Bane) Bane, natives of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Fahey became the parents of the following children: Mary Margaret, who was born November 3, 1915; and David, who was born February 2, 1917. Mr Fahey and his family belong to the Catholic Church. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Western Catholic Union. In politics, he is a Democrat.
Fahey, William F. - one of the leading retail merchants of Jerseyville, doing a very satisfactory trade in coal and ice, was born in Jerseyville, Ill., November 27, 1870. His parents are David and Hannah (Hayes) Fahey, who were married in Jerseyville. Both were born in Ireland, the mother in County Limerick and the father in County Kilkenny. He was a railroad man and was well known through this section. His death occurred in 1877 and that of the mother in January 1897.
William F. Fahey attended the public schools of his native city and after graduation from high school attended Bryant & Stratton College in Chicago. When he started into business he made so favorable an impression that he was able to secure the position of corporation clerk at Springfield, under Secretary of State Henderson, with whom he remained for four and one-half years, and again came in tough with political affairs at the Capital when he was made Sergeant of Arms of the Senate, in the session of 1915. Mr. Fahey has been one of the strong men of the Democratic party here for many years and served continuously for eight years as Alderman of the Third Ward, and two years as Mayor of Jerseyville.
Mr. Fahey was married on June 15, 1905, to Miss Rosalie Laurent, who was born at Jerseyville and is a daughter of Ludwig and Emma (Wagner) Laurent. The mother of Mrs. Fahey was born in this city but the father was born in Nancy, France. He was a representative citizen of Jersey County and served as circuit clerk for forty years. Mrs. Fahey died March 8, 1914, and is survived by two children, Newell and Catheriine. Mr. Fahey is a member of the St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Order of Elks. His name is very apt to be found on committees of leading public men when measures of relief for the unfortunate are under consideration, and his judgement is consulted when matters of civic importance are undertaken.
Fales, Charles Francis - now deceased, was for many years one of the leading business men of Jersey County, and one widely known and unusually beloved and respected. He was born near Carrollton, Ill., October 15, 1854, a son of Warren and Elizabeth (Barber) Fales, natives of Massachusetts and New Jersey, respectively, and early settlers of Greene County, Ill. He was one of a large family, in which there were four daughters and seven sons, but he was the only one of the sons to reach the age of twenty-one years.
At the age of twenty-three years, Charles Francis Fales came to Jerseyville and entered into business with William Keith in his undertaking establishment. From then until his death, with the exception of just one year, Jerseyville continued his home. Here, in 1875, he married Ada Katherine Hess, a daughter of George W. and Hannah (Whitlock) Hess, natives of Jersey and Greene Counties. Her grandparents on the pateranl side wre also pioneers of Jersey County, Sanuel and Catherine (Ladley) Hess. To Mr. and Mrs. Fales, were born two daughters, Maude, now Mrs. L. M. Jenney of Oberllin, Ohio, and Frances, now living with her mother in their home on West Arch Street, Jerseyville.In 1880, Mr. Fales bought Mr. Perrine's share of their establishment and became the leading undertaker of Jerseyville. Perhaps because ministers, doctors and undertakers come to people in the time of their deepest pain and trial, they gain an intimate knowledge of people such as no other class can approach. This was especially true of Mr. Fales. No one knew more people, no one had more friends than he. This was not due to his profession alone, but because he was a man of great sensitiveness and sympathy for those in trouble. His heart was bound up in his work all his life and those that he served need not be reminded of his cheerful, encouraging kindliness or of his eager willingness to prove of use. His desire was to wear out, not rust out, and in spite of a frail physique he went bravely on with his life work, which would have been continued, even though he had been granted three score years and ten.
At the age of eighteen years, Mr. Fales became identified with the church, and for years he was an active member of Jerseyville Presbyterian Church, to which Mrs. Fales also belongs. Fraternally, Mr. Fales was connected with the Odd Fellows, Masons, Woodmen, Elks, Protective League, Rebekahs, and public and purely benevolent associations. In short, he was a man of great activity, wide acquaintance and generous heart. In spite of his varied outside interests, Mr. Fales was intensely devoted to his home life. He was always a lover of little children, and found great joy in his own and later in his two grandchildren, Warren Fales and Frances Elizabeth Jenney. In all things, Mrs. Fales was his inspiration and partner.
On July 25, 1917, at 5:30 A. M., after a short illness, the end came. He died in the arms of his wife, whose devotion and courage throughout the forty-two years of their happiness together had ever been his stay and comfort. Such was the life of Mr. Fales - happy because he loved and lived for others; successful, for his ardent, industrious interest meant that life was always squarely met.
"A spirit goes out of the man who means execution which outlives the most untimely ending. All those who have meant good work with their whole hearts, have done good work, and every heart that has beat strong and cheerfully had left a hopeful impulse behind it in the world"
Fanning, Rev. Charles J. - priest-in-charge of St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Grafton, is one of the learned and scholarly men of Jersey County, and one who is held in affectionate reverence by his people. He was born in Ireland, in October, 1883, and he was educated at St. Peter's College in Wexford, Ireland. Father Fanning was ordained in June, 1909, and came to the United States in October of that same year to be assistant priest at Carrollton, Ill., for six months. He was then assistant priest at Mr. Sterling, Brown County, Ill., until the fall of 1913, when he came to his present charge.
St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Grafton was established in 1871, with Father B. N. Bourke as pastor during its first year, he being succeeded in 1872 by Father Edward McGowan, who remained until 1875. During the succeeding year Father Thomas Cusack was the priest-in-charge, and then in 1876, Father D. J. Ryan assumed the duties and discharged them until 1878. The next priest was Father Winterhalter who remained a year, when he was succeeded by Father Rosmeller, who was in charge until 1884, then Father Marks was placed in charge and he remained until July 1885. Father Thomas Masterson was the priest from 1885 until 1892, when he was succeeded by Father Terrence O'Brian, who remained until the fall of 1894. Father Joseph Finnegan had charge until 1898, when he was succeeded by Father C. S. Bell, and in 1903 he was succeeded by Father C. E. Snyder, who remained until 1907. Father A Schockart took charge iin 1912 then Father August C. VanRie was the priest for six months. Father D. J. Doyle had charge from the spring of 1913 utnil the fall of that year, when Father Fanning came to the parish, where ie has since remained.
Ferns, John - now deceased, was one of the respected men of Jersey County for a number of years. He was born in Canada in 1835, but came to Alton, Ill., at an early day, and there carried on blacksmithing. Still later he moved to Jersey County, where he continued working at his trade until his death which occurred in 1866. John Ferns was married to Hannah Hayes at Alton, Ill. She was born in County Limerick, Ireland, a daughter of Michael and Bridget Hayes, who crossed the ocean on a sailing vessel, landing at New Orleans, La., from whence they made their way to Alton, Ill., and there Mr. Hayes engaged in farming.
After the death of Mr. Ferns, his widow was married (second) to David Fahey, the ceremony taking place in 1870. Mr. Fahey was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland. His work was in connection with railroad construction and he continued in this line all of his life. His death occurred at Jerseyville, July 25, 1877. She died, January 24, 1897. By her first marriage she has two children, namely; Thomas, who lives at Springfield, Ill.; and Margaret M., who keeps house for her half-brother, William F. Fahey. By her second marriage, Mrs. Fahey had the following children: William F.; Johanna and Catherine, who are deceased; and David D., who lives at Jerseyville.
Freiman, Albert - member of the City Council of Grafton, and night watchman for the Ripley Street Bolt Manufacturing Company, is one of the reliable and highly esteemed men of Jersey County. He was born at Grafton, May 8, 1866, a son of Herman and Catherine (Faver) Freiman, natives of Germany. Herman Freiman came to the Untied States in 1856, stopping first in Philadelphia, Pa., and later coming west to Chicago, Ill. During the Civil War he was drafted, but Agne & Staely, the owners of the quarry iin which he was employed as foreman, desiring to keep his services, hired a substitute for him. He was again drafted, and sent to St. Louis, Mo., but went no further as peace was declared. His wife came to the United States when she was nineteen years old. The children born to Herman Freiman and his wife were as follows: Catherine; Cecelia; Albert and Herman. Upon his return from the war, Herman Freiman resumed his work in the Agne & Staley quarry, but later bought a farm, and commenced raising garden truck and grapes, and was so engaged at the time of his death, which occurred about 1905, and his wife passed away in 1915. He was also employed on the mason work on many of the stone buildings at Grafton. His first presidential vote was cast for Stephen A. Douglas, and he was always a Democrat, serving in the city council for fourteen years. He was a member of the Catholic Church.
Until he was seventeen years old, Albert Freiman attended the Grafton schools, when he embarked in the fishing business and operated a market for twenty-two years. He was then interested in the retail liquor business and a pol room for six years, when he bought a confectionery business and conducted it for a year, then turning it over to his son and daughter. Mr. Freiman was a city marshal for a time, when he was given his present position. At one time he also held the office of deputy sheriff, and his past experiences as marshall and deputy fit him for his present position.
On May 9, 1888, R. Freiman was married to Catherine Dougherty, born in Calhoun County, Ill., April 11, 1868. Her father was born in Ireland and her mother in Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Freiman have had eight children born to them, namely; James, C., Robert E., Edith, Raymond, Levern, Zeta, Abert J., and Letitia. James C. Freiman and his sister, Zeta operate the confectionery business; Robert E., is at Alton, Ill.; Raymond is a chauffeur; Leverne is in a foundry at Grafton; while Letitia is at home. Mr. Freiman is a Democrat and has been a member of the City Council for thirteen years, and was President of the Board for two years. He is a member of the Catholic Church. Fraternally, he belongs to the Owls, and the Modern Woodmen of America, which he joined fourteen years ago.
Fritz, Lestor - who is an electrician employed by the Jerseyville Telephone Company, is one of the skilled men in his line of work in Jersey County. He was born at Jerseyville, November 2, 1886, a son of Charles E. and Lela Fritz, natives of Jerseyville. Mrs. Fritz died when Lestor Frits was eleven years old. His only sister, Nellie ws married to William Seahousen and they live at Jerseyville. Until he was sixteen years old, Lestor Fritz attended the schools of Jerseyville, and then he became a clerk for George W. Ware & Son, druggists, remaining with this firm for ten years, when he engaged with the Jerseyville Telephone Company with which he has since remained, being one of its most valued men.
Mr. Fritz was married to Florence Krotzsich, who was born at Jerseyville, April 12, 1886. Her father was born at Washington, Mo., and her mother at Garfield, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Fritz have two children, namely; Morris U., who was born July 21, 1908; and Gordon S., who was born April 2, 1915. Mr. Fritz is a Republican. He belongs to the Mason and Odd Fellows. His parent and grandparents were born at Jerseyville, and his grandfather, Godrey Fritz, has been in the employ of the Chicago and Alton Railroad for the past fifty years, so that the family is one of the oldest and best known in Jersey County.
Frost, Francis Marion - well known in the concrete and cement industry at Jerseyville, is enjoying a trade that extends all over the county. He was born in Monroe County, Mo., October 1, 1852, a son of Charles and Esther J. (Wiggins) Frost, the former of whom was born in New Jersey and the latter in Virginia. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Frost was Labron Wiggins, who served in the Mexican War, and appears to have been a man of courage both in war and peace. Among other proofs the story is told that upon one occasion when he and Colonel Gregory, also of war fame, were crossing the Illinois River in a skiff, the rough waters overturned the craaft and it was only through risking his life that Mr. Wiggins saved the lives of both. He located at White Hall, Ill., for a while, then moved to Mexico, Mo., and finally to Bates County, Mo.
Charles Frost and Esther J. Wiggins were married at Mansfield, Ohio. He followed the trades of plasterer and bricklayer, and lived in Monore County, Mo., until after the Civil War, when he moved to Bates County, and later retired to Schell City, in Vernon County, where both he and his wife died.
Francis Marion Frost remainded at home, learning his trade under his father during boyhood attending the public schools in Illionois, and later in Missouri, attending night school after the labor of the day was over. Mr. Frost thus gained a very serviceable education. When he was twenty-one years old he started out for himself and worked at his trade at Troy, Madison County, Ill., and later in Sedalia, Mo., visiting various other points as business calls came. In 1876, he returned to Illionios and during several years of residence at White Hall kept active in contract work, and then moved to Abilene, Kas., where he remainded until 1891, when he located at Carrollton, Ill., and there completed large contracts. In the spring of 1903, he came to Jerseyville and since then has built up a large concrete, cement and general construction business. His reputation for reliability has followed and accompanied him wherever he has lived. He now gives employment to from eight to ten men.
Mr. Frost was married at White Hall, Ill., November 30, 1879, to Miss Ella J. Culbertson, who was born in Montgomery County, Ill., a daughter of John and Rebecca Ann (Clark) Culbertson, natives of Pennslyvania. Mr. and Mrs. Frost have two sons; Curtis Elmer, who married Alice Wadson, and William Otis, who married Sadie Stout, and they have had three children, Gladys, Gertrude and Virginia, Gertrude being deceased.
In his political views, Mr. Frost is a Republican. He has no desire for pubic office for himself, being more interested in business, but he gives loyal support to men of high character who, in his opinion will faithfully serve the country in public capacities. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is ever ready to be helpful in its benevolences.
Fulkerson, Col. William Houston - was born September 9, 1834, on the homstead of his father in Clairborne County, Tenn., but comes of excellent Virginia stock. His father, Dr. James Fulkerson, was born in Virginia a son of Col. Peter Fulkerson, who commanded troops in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. Dr. Fulkerson was married to Miss Frances Patterson of Philadelphia, Pa., in the native city of his bride, and then moved to eastern Tennessee, where they rounded out useful lives. The Patterson family is a prominent one in Pennsylvania, and its members were very patriotic. A maternal uncle of Col. Fulkerson, Gen. Robert E.Patterson, was a veteran of three wars. Another uncle, William Chamberlain Patterson, was the second president of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Dr. Fulkerson was a medical man of considerable note and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.
Col. William Houston Fulkerson was educated in the best schools of Tennessee, and finished his educational training at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. During the trouble with the Mormons, he gave valuable service, during 1858-59, but when the north and south declared war his sympathies led him to espouse the cause of the latter and from the beginning of hostiles until their close he served gallantly as colonel of the Sixty-Third Tennessee, although wounded at the battle of Chickamauga. With the close of the war, Colonel Fulkerson returned to Tennessee, but like so many of those that fought so bravely for the "Lost Cause", he found that opportunities were lacking in his old home, so in 1866, he left Rogersville, where his boyhood, and young manhood had been spent, and moved to Jersey County., Ill. Here he found congenial surroundings and associates and developed the magnificient stock farm known as "Hazel Dell" and there entered extensively into the business of breeding Shorthorn cattle and met with a very gratifying success. He still resides on this farm where so many useful years have been spent.
On October 17, 1861, at Rogersville, Tenn., Colonel Fulkerson was married to Miss Cornelia T. Russell, born at that place November 16, 1832, a daughter of Joseph and Jane (Richards) Russell. Mrs. Fulkerson was educated at the Rogersville Seminary and at Salem, N.C., and was a lady of many accomplishments. Her death occured October 31, 1909. Colonel and Mrs. Fulkerson became the parents of the following children: Frances R., James W., Joseph R., Frank E., and Sarah B. Of these James W., is deceased, and Sarah is the wife of Judge Charles S. White.
Colonel Fulkerson was carefully reared in the faith of the Presbyterian Church during his childhood. His political inclinantions and convictions make him a Democrat, and while he was never active in politics, he served one term as judge of the County court of Jersey County, two terms as president of the Illinois State Board of Agriculture and was a member of the board of trustees of the University of Illinois. He was also a member of the Illinois State Board of Worlds Fair Commissioners at the time of the Worlds Fair at Chicago. A man of sterling qualities, Colonel Fulkerson is honored and respected by all who have the honor of his acquaintance. While he has been more or less concerned in business operations, he has never neglected the finer things in life, and enjoys the best in literature, reading extensively and appreciating the productions of his favorite authors. Not only has he traveled extensively in his own country, but also abroad, and is one of the most cultured and well informed men in his section of the state.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)