Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Hamilton, Oscar Brown - senior member of the law firm of Hamilton & Hamilton of Jerseyville, is one of the most eminent lawyers of Jersey County. He was born in Greene County, Ill., January 31, 1839, a son of Nathaniel and Mary B. (Dougherty) Hamiilton, he born in Washington County, Ohio, and she born in Adams County, Miss. The grandparents were Thomas McClure and Apphia (Brown) Hamilton, natives of Vermont and New York; and James Dougherty, born in South Carolina. The latter came, by river route, to what is now Otter Creek Township in 1831, and here entered land from the governent. The Hamiltons came here in 1830, settling on section 13, Otter Creek Township, and entering 160 acres of prairie land on section 13 and 14. The grandfather developed this farm, placing it under a high state of cultivation. He was an executor of the will of his uncle, Dr. Silas Hamilton, and erected the orginal "stone schoolhouse," and managed it until it was incorporated as the Hamilton Primary School in 1839. His name appears as one of the grand jurors called for the first time in Jersey County in 1839. In every way he was a prominent man, and his death occurred in 1844, when he was fifty-nine years old, having been born January 3, 1785. While James Dougherty owned land and farmed in Illinois, he also conducted a large plantation in Mississippi and owned a considerable number of slaves. His death occurred in 1842.
On July 9, 1835, Nathaniel Hamilton and Mary B. Dougherty were married and settled on section 15, Otter Creek Township, where they owned eighty acres of timber land. While living here, Nathaniel Hamilton was a Justice of the Peace for many years, and also held that office in Greene County. In the spring of 1848, he sold his original farm and bought one in Quarry Township. A prominent man, as was his father, he was active in many movements and srved as Captian of the Militia during the early days. After the death of his first wife, in 1850, he was married (second) to Maria Durand. In August, 1893, the life of this useful citizen was terminated by death.
Prior to the age of nine years, Oscar Brown Hamilton lived on the farm, but after that was reared at Grafton, and attended the Hamilton Primary School, principally being under the charge of Linus Humiston, and later the St. Louis Law School. From 1857 to 1861, Mr. Hamilton and his brother, Thomas James, conducted a general store at Grafton, and after the dissolution of the partnership, Mr. Hamilton boated cord wood and staves from the western part of Jersey County and Calhoun County to St. Louis, from 1861 to 1864. In the latter year he associated himself with John A. Campbell in a mercantile business at Otterville, which was conducted for a year, when the connection was severed, and Mr. Hamilton taught the Shiloh School in 1868. He then took up the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in 1871. For the subsequent three years he practiced his profession at Otterville. In February, 1874, he came to Jerseyville, and with Orville Snedeeker opened a law office. These partners continued together for nine years and then separated, and Mr. Hamilton formed a partnership with Allen M. Slaten, which continued until the fall of 1886, when it was dissolved and Mr. Hamilton went to Meade, Kan., to become president of the Merchants and Drovers State Bank, which office he held until July 1, 1890, during which time he was District Judge pro-tem and held several terms of district court. Returning to Jerseyville in 1890, he resumed his practice at the county seat, in the offices he still occupies. In 1894, he took his son, Paul M., into partnership with him, the present firm style of Hamilton & Hamilton being then adopted. Mr. Hamilton was nine years secretary of Piasa Chautauqua Assembly; has been president of Jersey County Bar Association for many years; he was a delegate and member of the "Old Guard" in the Republican National Convention in Chicago, 1880, and has been interested in many other occupations of greater or less importance.
On October 25, 1860, Mr. Hamilton was married to Eliza Minerva Brown, born in Jersey County, a daughter of Chauncy Brown, who was born in Massachusetts, while his wife was born in Morgan County, Ill. In 1820, Chauncy Brown was one of the mounted rangers who rendered such efficient service during the Indian troubles of that period. He helped to build the first log house at Carrollton, which was afterwards used as the first courthouse of Greene County. In the spring of 1835, Mr. Brown came to Jersey County, and was one of its first commissioners, and the land on which the courthouse now stands, was deeded to him and Cyrus Tolman as County Commissioners of Jersey County. He served as commisssioner from 1840 to 1843. His death occurred in 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton became the parents of the following children: Mark B., who died at the age of fourteen years; Bertha, who is Mrs. George M. Cockrell, resides at Omaho, Neb.; Rose, who is Mrs. Leighton E. Brown, of Victor, Iowa; Silas E., who lives at Palco, Kas,; Paul M., who is his father's partner; John J., who lives at Grand Junction, Col.; Dr. Fred W., who is in practice at Robinson, Ill.; Dr. Ray A., who is in practice at White Hall, Ill.; Clara and Margaret, who are at home; and Ethel, who is Mrs. Leslie S. Noble, of Alton, Ill. Four of these sons, Paul M., John J., Frederic W., Ray A. Hamilton and Leslie Noble, son-in-law, and four grandsons, Harry H., and Edward G. Cockrell, Ernest Brown and Mark W. Hamilton, were subject to draft under the Act of 1918, including men from eighteen to forty-five, for service in the World War.
Mr. Hamilton is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has held all of the offices of the church, has been president of the board of trustees for many years, and superintendent of the Sunday school for nine years. A staunch Republican, he was a great admirer of General Grant, and supported his candidacy for the presidency for the third term in 1880. A Mason in good standing, he belongs to Jerseyville Chapter No. 143, R. A. M. Perhaps there are very few men in the county who are connected by blood and marriage with so many of the makers of history in this section as he, and in all of his actions he has proven himself worthy of them for he has always lived up to the highest conceptions of civic duty. Born in a log cabin, within one half mile of the olf stone school house, son of, and reared in the homes of pioneers, he early imbibed a lively interest, listening for hours at a time to their conversation, relating to the first settlement of the county, the lives and experiences of themselves and others, in connection therewith. Having a retentive memory, and an unusual interest in the subjects of those conversations, he early began to investigate matters relating to the first settlements and settlers, and in after years as acquaintance was extended to the pioneers of all parts of the county, and facts learned from them, he was still further impressed with the importance of devising some means of securing and preserving all of the facts relating to the habits of life, implements of industry, habittations, intercourse, education, secular and religious, natural productions of the soil and its adaptation to the growth of such crops of grain, vegetables and fruits as would best supply and support the first occupants, so that the future generation might have ready access thereto. This led to the organization of the Old Settlers' Society, and later, the Jersey County Historical Society, with its location in the courthouse, with its library, manuscripts, pictures and relics, which though, not as extensive as it should be, is very valuable, and it is expected to be materially enlarged in the future.
With three or four exceptions, Mr. Hamilton has known every county officer, every member of the Constitutional Convention, senator adn representative in the General Assembly, member of Congress, Every judge of the Circuit court and circuit attorney elected in the circuit of which this county is a part, since the election of Judge David M. Woodson, 1848; almost every member fo the bar who has resided and practiced his profession in this county since its organization, all city officers of Jerseyville since 1867, every banker who has operated a bank in this county, and a large majority of the pioneers who survived the organization of Jersey County, and their descendents, with a large number of whom he has transacted business. It can be truthfully said that as a rule all of these people, officers and classes with very rare exceptions, were honest, competent, accommodating, just friendly and clever neighbors and citizens, ready and willing to do and to contribute their part in promoting the welfare and upbuilding of the county so recently evolved from its primitive wilderness conditions.
Among the earliest recollections of the natural productions of the forests and prairie lands of this county, were its blackberries, respberries, strawberries, grapes, plums, cherries, black and red haw, persimmons, pawpaw mulberries crab apples and May apples; of nuts there were hazel, pecan, hickory, in great variety, walnuts, black and white, and acorns from oak trees in great variety and abundance used for the fattening of swine; and grasses and other herbgage for live stock; of game, consisting of deer, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, pheasants, prairie chickens, quails, very plentiful; with fish in the streams and rivers, for the taking, and in the spring and fall of each year, great flocks of gees, ducks, and pegeons gave abundant employment for the sportsman. In addition were the bees of the forest, storing large quantities of honey in hollow trees. Bee hunters became very skiffufl in tracing bees to their hives, by putting out bait and watching the direction taken by the laden bees, then following the bee line and marking the tree for cutting in the late fall or winter. Then there was the maple sugar camp, where, in the spring of the year, when the sap begins to flow, holes were bored and alder spiles driven therein and wooden troughs placed below to catch the sweet sap. This was later placed in a barrel and hauled away, on sleds to the large kettles, in which it was boiled and skimmed until condensed to the proper consistency for syrup or sugar. Large quantitiies of both were made, both in the large camps and by individuals having only a few trees. The main camps in this county were those of Col. Josiah Askew in 6-11, and Henry Noble in Sugar Hollow southwest of Otterville, 7-12. Sixty years ago three and four-foot oak clapboards and pickets, staves and heading, hoop-poles and ten-foot rails. These commodities were in as constant and regular demand then as were dry goods and groceries; but this demand has now passed away, and other articles of merchandise have superseded them. Smokehouses were full of bacon and the larders of thrifty housewives of the pioneer settlers were stored with fruits, preserves, jams, jellies, apple butter, besides apples, potatoes, sweet potatoes and all sorts of vegetables in their seasons, with rich cheese of their own making, thick sweet cream for fruit and puddings and coffee, direct from the springhouse to the table, with honey from the bee stands; verily it was a lnad flowing with milk and honey, and those housewives were famous cooks in those days. Our ancestors made no mistake in selecting "Little Jersey" as the home for themselves and their descendants. Their hospitality to neighbors and strangers was proverbial.
This biography can best be concluded in Judge Hamilton's own words for he says: "As our memory wanders back over these associations, experiences, occupations and friendships, to the beginning of our interest in material things, we can truly say that our lives have been chosen for us in pleasant places, for it is our honest belief that there are few places upon the earth, where the inhabitants have more of the blessings and comforts of life, and fewer of its hardships, than do the citizens of this county. For which we are truly grateful."
Hamilton, Paul Morton - one of the able attorneys of Jersey County, is engaged in a general law practice at Jerseyville. He was born at Otterville, Ill., December 18, 1872, a son of Oscar B. and Eliza N. (Brown) Hamilton. Paul Morton Hamilton attended the public schools of Jerseyville and a Kansas High School. He studied law with his father, took a course in the St. Louis Law School, and was admitted to the bar in 1894 becoming his father's partner immediately thereafter, the two since continuing together, and forming a very strong firm.
On September 3, 1896, Mr. Hamilton was married to Alma W. Carlin, born at Jerseyville, Ill., a daughter of Walter E. and Mary (Cross) Carlin, he born in Greene County, and she in Jersey County, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have had three chldren: Helen Eugenia, who was born September 22, 1897; Pauline C., who was born March 25, 1903; and Mary, who was born June 23, 1905, died August 5, 1907. Mr. Hamilton is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He served two years as city attorney, and in 1916 was elected state's attorney on the Republican ticket. In 1915, he was elected president of the Jersey Township High Schol board, having been a member of that board since 1911. He is an aggressive, forceful man, and has shown himself a fearless official, prosecuting criminals with unprejudiced justice, and securing a large number of convictions. As a citizen he is public-spirited and upright, and he holds the confidence of his fellows, and the respect of all.
Hanley, John T. - one of the successful business men of Jerseyville, is engaged in conducting a modern meat market, and enjoys a large trade. He was born at Jerseyville, August 2, 1867, a son of M. J. and Anna (Evans) Hanely, both of whom were born in Ireland, the latter Janauary 27, 1833, and they came to the United States about 1854. After their marriage, they spent some time at Buffalo, N. Y., where the father worked as a laborer, and then went to Ohio, where they lived for a few years. In 1864, they came to Jerseyville, where the father was engaged in well-digging and tiling. His death occurred March 24, 1885, and the mother died December 26, 1876.
After attending the public schools, John T. Hanley began working in a butcher shop, but in 1893, went into a grocery business for himself, forming a partnership with H. W. Shafer, and his association continued until 1908, when Mr. Hanley sold his interest to his brother-in-law, and bought his present market, which he conducts with Martin Gibbons as his partner. The firm handles all kinds of meats in season, doing their own butchering, and having forty acres of pasturage for stock. Their market is thoroughly up-to-date in every particular, and they render an appreciated service to their customers.
On November 19, 1896, Mr. Hanley was married to Lottie Shafer, born in Jersey County in May 1876, a daughter of George W. and Mary E. (Pittinger) Shafer, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Hanley have the following children: Majorie, Helen and Florence, who are all at home. In politics Mr.Hanley is a Democrat, and has served his township as supervisor since 1906, and was city treasurer one term. His fraternal connections are with Charter Camp, B. P. O. E. No. 954, and Steelman Camp. No. 3410, M. W. A.
Hanley, William Mitchell - now deceased, was for many years engaged in the retail meat business at Jerseyville, where he was recognized as one of the most desirable of its citizens. He was born July 10, 1861, a son of Michael and Anna (Evans) Hanley. William Mitchell Hanley attended the grammer and high schools of Jerseryville, where his boyhood was spent, and was graduated under Prof. Joshua Pike. For some years thereafter, he taught school at Otterville and other points in the county, and then he formed a partnership with James Perrings, the firm conducting a first class meat market at Jerseyville. Eventually Mr. Hanley bought the interest of his partner and conducted the business alone until his death which occurred September 29, 1908.
On June 12, 1893, Mr. Hanley was married to Theresa J. Roerig, born at Jerseyville, July 1 1867, a daughter of Anthony and Theresa (Zeiser) Roerig, natives of Germany, who were marreid at Jerseyville. He was one of the early stage drivers between Jerseyville and Alton prior to the bulding of the railroads. Mr. Roerig died about 1874, and Mrs. Roerig died in 1888. They had six children; Fannie, who is Mrs. W. C. Pfeffer of St. Louis, Mo.; Frank William, who resides on the homestead; Mary who is the matron at the Home for Feebleminded Children at Polk, Pa.; William, who lives at San Antonio, Tex.; Mrs. Hanley; Anthony, who lives at Jerseyville. Two children were born to Mrs. Roerig's second marriage, Louis A., and Josephine, the latter of whom is Mrs. Fred. Stamper of Godfrey, Ill.
Mr. and Mrs. Hanley had the following children: William F., who is assistant cashier in the State Bank of Jerseyville; Chester Thomas, who is an electrical engineer in the United States Navy; Marguerite B., who is attending the Whitewater State Normal School, in Wisconsin; and Loretta Theresa, who is at home; and the one died in infancy. The family are members of the Holy Ghost Catholic Church of Jerseyville. A Democrat in politics, he served as city treasurer for several years and filled other offices, and was supervisor of Jersey Township when he died and had been for many years. Fraternally, he was an Elk and Modern Woodman. A man of sound principles and integrity of purpose, he gained and retained the confidence of the people of his community, and dying, left behind him a record of which his family may well be proud.
Henry, Prof. D. R. - superintendent of the graded schools of Jerseyville, and of the Jersey Township High School, is one of the leading educators of the state, and a man of more than average ability and really brilliant attainments. He was born at Kemption, Tipton County, Ind., December 4, 1887, son of Harrison and Eliza (Vanarsdall) Henry, natives of Indiana. Harrison Henry has given all of his mature years to the profession of teaching and is still engaged in this line of endeavor at Windfall, Ind.
Prof. D. R. Henry attended the grammer and the high school of Windfall, Ind., and the State Normal School at Terre Haute, Ind., being graduated from the latter institution of learning in 1910. He then entered the State University at Bloomington, Ind., and was graduated therefrom in 1913. Since then he has done more than two years post graduate work at the University of Chicago and Columbia University, New York, for he is a man of erudite mind and is always increasing his store of knowledge and expanding his natural talents. When but nineteen years of age he began teaching school in the country districts of Tipton County, Ind., and was successively promoted, teaching a year in the grammer schools of Kemption, Ind., and becoming superintendent of public schools of Perrysville, Ind., in 1910, and holding that postition from 1910 to 1912. Following that he was superintendent of the schools of two townships in Vermillion County, Ind., where he resigned in order to attend the University of Chicago during 1914. In the fall of 1915, he was made superintendent of the graded schools of Jerseyville and of the Jersey Township High School, and is still discharging the onerous duties of both positions.
On July 21, 1915, Prof. Henry was married to Allene Marguerite Nopper at Elkhart, Ind. Mrs. Henry was born at Elkhard, Ind., December 19, 1890, a daughter of Fred J. and Elizabeth (Deventer) Nopper, natives of Adrian County, Mich., and Indiana, respectively. Prof. and Mrs. Henry have one daughter, Elizabeth Jane, who was born, November 4, 1916. Mrs. Henry is a graduate of DePauw University, and is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega National fraternity, and Kappa Kappa Kappa Indiana fraternity. She belongs to the Monday Musical Club of Jerseyville. Prof. and Mrs. Henry are members of the Presbyterian Church. His political views make him a Democrate, while fraternally he belongs to Jerseyville Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and Newport Lodge, K. P. He, with J. W. Becker, F. E. Pinkerton, Jr.,and B. H. Bowen, organized the Community Club and Prof. Henry drafted and wrote the constitution of this club. Both he and Mrs. Henry are very popular are are leaders in the intellectual life of Jerseyville.
Herdman, George Walker - now retired, was for a number of years one of the eminent attorneys and jurists of Jersey County, and is now an honored resident of Jerseyville. He was born at Haverstraw, N. Y., March 6, 1839, the fourth son of William John and Jane Herdman, natives of the vicinity of Antrim, Ireland, where they were married. They also had three daughters. After a few years' residence, following their marriage, William John Herdman and his wife came to the Untied States in April, 1834, and eventually settled at Haverstraw, N. Y., where he was employed as a laborer in a rolling mill. In 1841, he came to Illinois and bought land in Randolph County, which he cultivated until 1854, when he sold his property and moved with his family to Jersey County. There he bought a farm and lived on it until 1858, when he retired and moved to Jerseyville, where he died June 3, 1883. The mother died November 2, 1856.
When he was eighteen years old, George Walker Herdman canvassed Jersey County, selling Bayard Taylor's works on modern travel, and met with very gratifying success. After he had attended the Jerseyville public schools and Prof. Foote's Acedemy, Mr. Herdman began teaching school in the Jersey County rural districts, and also taught in Greene County, Illiinois, continuing his educational labors for eight years. For three years he studied law under the late Judge D. M. Woodson of Carrollton, Illinois. He then entered the law department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky, at Louisville, and remained for two years, being graduated in March 1867. Returning to Jerseyville, he engaged in a general law practice, and a few months later bought out the interest of Judge R. A. King in the firm of King & Pinero, he and Edmond Pinero continuing together unitl 1869, when Mr. Pinero went into the banking business at Grafton, Illinois, and Mr. Herdman remained alone for a year, when he formed a partnership with Robert M. Knapp; in the latter part of 1872, severing this connection to continue in practice alone until his retirement in 1913. Mr. Herdman served in Jerseyville as city attorney, and from 1870 to 1872 was a member of the lower house of the State Assembly, and 1876, he was elected senator and served in the upper house from 1876 to 1880. In 1882, he was elected circuit judge of the Seventh Judicial District, and served coninuously for fifteen years. For fifteen years he was president of the board of eduction of Jerseyville, and ws elected to all of these offices on the Democratic ticket. A very ardent Knight of Pythias, he has held all the offices in the subordinate lodge, and was elected grand chancellor of the Grand Domain of Illinois, and for eight years has been the representative to the Supreme Lodge K. of P. of the World, from Illinois.
On February 25, 1880, Mr Herdman was married to Helen Allen Parish, born at Delhi, Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of James W. and Mary Ann (Allen) Parish, natives of Hannibal, Mo., and Philadelphia, Pa., respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Herdman have had the following children born to them: William James, who lives in Toronto, Canada, patent attorney and electrical engineer; Effie Elvera who is Mrs. Charles Lester Cole of Grand Rapids, Mich.; and George W., who died in infancy. The father of the subject of this sketch was a Scotchman, and his mother was an Irish woman. The ancestors of William John Herdman came over to England with the forces of William the Conqueror, and settled in southwestern Scotland, and from there some of them crossed the channel into north Ireland.
Hickman, Dean Page - a general farmer and stock raiser of Fidelity Township, Jersey County, Ill., was born in this Township October 28, 1868, a son of John B. and Celinda E. (Chapman) Hickman, he born in New Jersey in 1834, and she in Fidelity Township in 1832. John B. Hickman came to Illinois with his parents, James and Ann (Blake) Hickman, natives of Maine and Massachusetts, respectively. In the same party were Thomas and Ann (Crabb) Chapman. The latter located in Fidelity Township, Jersey County, while the former went into Hancock County, and later to Carthage, Mo., both entering government land. James Hickman died at the latter place. After John B. Hickman and Celinda E. Chapman were married, in 1865, they located on forty acres of land in Fidelity Township, which she inherited from her father, and on it she had built a brick residence. He carried on farming, although in young manhood he was a carpenter. His death occurred March 31, 1917, the mother of Mr. Hickman having died Augusst 23, 1912. Their children wree as follows: Anna, who died when twenty years old; J. D., who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; Dean Page; and Drew, who died in infancy.
Dean Page Hickman attended the district schools, and Blackburn University at Carlinville, Ill., and assisted his father on the farm. On October 7, 1895, he was married to Adeline Robertson, born in Piasa Township, January 26, 1871, a daughter of Donald and Lydia (Marston) Robertson, natives of Scotland and Philadelphia, Pa., respectively, and granddaughter of Alexander Robertson and Oliver and Elizabeth (Power) Marston. The paternal grandfather was born, October 16, 1826, and came to Ontario, Canada, with his parents, in 1838. There he learned the stone cutting trade and worked at it for soem time in various parts of the United States until 1856, when he came to Jersey County, and assisted in the contruction of the Chicago and Alton Railroad from Kane to Godfrey. On May 6, 1858, he was married to Lydia A. Marston, who died in 1879, and he died January 31, 1887. Mrs. Hickman attended the district schools. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Brighton, Ill. In politics, Mr. Hickman is a Republican.
Hildred, William - a prosperous farmer and stockraiser of Otter Creek Township, is one of the progressive agriculturists of Jersey Counyt. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, November 8, 1845, a son of Joseph and Eliza (Copoland) Hildren, both of whom died in England. In 1869, William Hildred came to the United States, and after spending a few months in Wisconsin, located in Jersey County. Here is was employed by farmers in Jersey Township until 1877. In that year he took a lease on the Ritchey land, in Otter Creek Township, and lived on that farm until 1881, when he moved to his present farm of eighty acres in teh northeastern part of Otter Creek Township, which he had bought At that time but little of it was cleared, but since then he has developed the farm, erected all of the buildings and made other improvements. To the original eighty acres,which are now all cleared, he has added eighty acres, all of which he has cleared, and now has it in grain and pasture. Until the spring of 1917, he operated a dairy but then sold it, and is now devoting himself to the raising of Duroc-Jersey thoroughbred hogs. Mr. Hildred defines as his reason for his success the fact that he has always kept busy and has never been afraid of work.
On November 11, 1869, William Hildred was married to Sabina Hildred, born July 2, 1844, in Lincolnshire, England, a daughter of John and Sabina (Dales) Hildren, who died in England. Mr. and Mrs. William Hildred became the parents of the following children: Joseph Henry, who lives in Ruyle Township, was married to Ida Murphy, now deceased, and they had three children, Florence, who was married to John H. Frost, has two children, Clarice E., and Floyd R., and William O., and Jennie E.; Jennie May, who is at home; John Edward, who is also at home; Jerome, who is a resident of Jersey Township, was married to Laura Baldridge, and they have three children. William H., Callista, and Laura E.; Oscar, who lives at Wellington, Col., was married to Addie Bentley, and their children are, Bessie I., Richard D., Wanda, Perley, Max B., Margaret L., and Hazel L., these two being twins; Clarence, who is at home; Elizabeth Mary, who is Mrs. Wesley C. Calhoun, of Fidelity Township, has one child, Elizabeth; and Any Sarah, who is Mrs. Noble Calhoun, of Otter Creek Township, has two children, Charles E., and Ruth E. In politics, Mr. Hildred is a Republican. The family belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he donates liberally.
Homer, James William - who is successfully engaged in farming in the vicinity of Grafton, is one of the energetic men of Jersey County. He was born at Springfield, Ill., January 9, 1870, a son of Matthew and Mary (Welsh) Homer, the latter of whom died in October, 1912. Their children were as follows: Sarah Shaw, who lives at Fieldon, Ill., and James William. When the parents came to Illinois they stopped first at Springfield, and then went to Calhoun County.
When he was about twenty years old, James William Homer came to Grafton, where her was united in marriage wiwth Miss Laura Davis, born in Jersey County, May 19, 1874. Her four sisters and three brothers are all living in Jersey County. Mr. and Mrs. Davis survive and make their home with their daughter, Mrs. Homer. Mr. and Mrs. Homer have five children, namely: James Clifton, Charles Wesley, Clara Marie, Mary L., and Preston Edwin. Mr. Homer has lived in the vicinity of Grafton ever since he came to Jersey County. He owns and operates land, and is making a success of his undertaking because he understand farming in all its details. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican, but has been too much occupied with his farming to care to enter public life.
Houghtlin, William H. H., - was born near Gettysburg, Pa., November 6, 1840, one of a family of eight children, of whom an elder sister of Kingfisher, Okla., and he are the only survivors. In the spring of 1843, the family moved to Ohio, but returned to Pennyslvania in the spring of 1849. From the spring of 1853 to that of 1855, William H. H. Houghtlin worked in a general store, and then he spent three consecutive summers working on a farm, attending school during the winter months. During the winter terms of 1857, 1858, 1859, he taught schol and iin the spring of 1859, he apprenticed himself to the cutter's trade. During the Civil War, he served as a noncommissioned officer. Late in 1866, he came to Springfield, Ill., but returned to Pennsylvania in 1867, to superintend the consctruction of a monument to the soldiers of the Mexican War, which was placed in the capital grounds at Harrisburg, which monument he had designed prior to going to Springfield.
On May 7, 1868, Mr. Houghtlin was married (first) to Miss Jennie L. McFettridge, at her home in Philadelphia, Pa., after which he returned to Springfield, Ill., to work on the contruction of the State House. His brother, David M. Houghtlin, was foremen of the setting, and Mr. Houghtlin was made forman of the stone cutting. The foundation walls of the State House are 8 feet wide and 8 feet deep, and for foundation for the dome rests on a bed of coal, 18 feet below the surface. All of the colums rest on inverted arches. During the session of the legislature of 1868, it was determined to have some of the stone cutting done by inmates of the penitentiary. When Mr. Houghtlin and his brother discovered that such a condition existed, they felt that is would not be consistent with their understanding of the ethics of mechanics to continue on the works and they resigned and came to Jerseyville, where they went into business for themselves, under the style of Houghtlin Bros., which they kept for over ten years, and then changed it to that of the Jerseyville Granite and Marble Works. David M. Houghtlin died in 1904, and since that time Mr. Houghtlin has had other partners.
Mr. Houghtlin had only been in Jerseyville three weeks when his first wife died, April 28, 1869, and he took her remains back to Philadelphia, and had them laid to rest in Laurel Hill Cemetery. On October, 20, 1872, Mr. Houghtlin was married (second) to Susan L. Love, at her home in Calhoun County, Ill., and she died August 25, 1915. She was the mother of five children, three of whom survive.
Hunt, David W. - one of the substantial and successful real estate operators of Jerseyville, is a man well and favorably known throughout Jersey County. He was born in Mercer County, N. J., October 22, 1844, a son of John D. and Lucy (Servis) Hunt, natives of New Jersey, where their useful lives were spent.
David W. Hunt spent his boyhood in his native State, and attended a preparatory schol at Pennington, N. J., and when he was eighteed years old he began working for neighboring farmers. After a year at this kind of work, he began learning blacksmithing, and served an apprenticeship of three years. He then enlisted in the Second New Jersey Militia as a reserve, and served about three months. During 1868, he came to Illinois, and spent a short time visiting Jerseyville before proceeding to near St. Louis, Mo., where he worked on a farm for five years. He then returned to Illinois, and was engaged in farming in Sangamon County for four years. Coming then into possession of his father's homestead in New Jersey, he returned to it, and was there engaged in farming for twenty years. At the expiration of that time he moved to Jersey County and bought a farm in Jersey Township, conducting it for four years. Selling it he came to Jerseyville and went into the real estate business with the Flemming, Dolan Realty Company, but after four years withdrew and established his present business which he has since conducted.
On January 21, 1869, Mr. Hunt was married to Georgiana Davis, born in Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of John W. and Eliza (Fitzgerald) Davis, natives of North Carolina and Jersey County, Ill., respectively. Mrs. Hunt died in New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt became the parents of the following children: John Lewis, who lives at New York City; Harry, whoe died at the age of twenty-six years; Judson D., who lives in Jersey County; A. S., who is a physician of Jerseyville; Douglas, who lives in Morgan County, Ill.; Charles, who lives in Jersey County, Ill.; Nellie, who is Mrs. James Parcell of Jersey County; and Lorenzo Dow, who died at the age of eight years. Mr. Hunt was married (second), January 20, 1901, in Jersey County to Lucy J. Hutchens, widow of Delaney Hutchens. They have had five children; Eva J., Walter A., Gertrude M., Callie S., and Clarence, who is deceased. Mr. Hunt and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. A Democrat, he served for four years as commissioner of highways in New Jersey, and in Illinois, in 1909, he was elected a Justice of the Peace, and has held that office ever since. A Mason in good standing he belongs to Jerseyville Lodge, No. 394, A. F. & A. M., and served as master of the lodge at Hopewell, N. J.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)