Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Lamarsh, Frank Lewis - mail carrier, and a liveryman of Grafton, is one of the experienced business men of Jersey County. He as born in Calhoun County, Ill., August 5, 1856, a son of Joseph and May (Wizzard) LaMarsh, natives of Missiouri. They had the following children: Angeline, Sarah, Ellen, Lou, Deborah, Lizzie and Frank Lewis. Politically, the father was a Democrate, while in religious belief he was a Catholic. Both he and the mother died at Grafton.
Until he was fifteen years old, Frank Lewis LaMarsh attended school, and then he began earning his own living, working at various things. Since 1892, he has been carrier of the mail between Grafton and Brussels, Calhoun County, and since 1907, he has owned and operated a livery barn, owning twelve horses. He has built up an excellent business and is held in high esteem.
On December 26, 1886, Mr. LaMarsh was married to Lucy Austin, who was born in Jersey County, and they have the following children: William, May, George, Sarah, Julian, Ernest, Leo, Bertie, Carrie, Myrtle, Hattie and Tony. A Democrat, Mr. LaMarsh was commissioner of highways for nine years, and served very efficiently. He is a Catholic and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Lamb, John J. - now deceased, was formerly one of the substantial men and successful agriculturalists of Jersey County. He was born in Mississippi, March 1, 1830, a son of John J. and Sarah (Noble) Lamb, natives of Mississippi. In 1837, the family drove from their native state to Jersey County, Ill., locating on land they entered from the government, and here the parents resided until death claimed them.
John J. Lamb lived on the homestead with his mother, after the death of his father, until his marriage which took place, December 23, 1855, when he was united with Anna F. McDow, born in Jersey County, Ill., December 15, 1837, a daughter of John and Maria (Waggoner) McDow, natives of North Carolina and Virginia, respectively, who became very early settlers of Jersey County, locating near the present site of Dow. Mr. and Mrs. Lamb became the parents of five children: Laura, who is with her mother; Albert L., who lives at Jerseyville, was married to Olive Sessen; and Eva M., an infant, and Walter E., all three deceased.
After his marriage, John J. Lamb settled on land he had previously purchased, upon which he erected a residence. From time to time he kept adding to his farm until he owned several hundred acres at the time of his death, which occurred October 11, 1876. After his demise, the widow and her children remained on the farm until 1903, when she rented the property and moved to Jerseyville. The farm is a large one, comprising 450 acres, a substantial increase having been made since Mr. Lamb's death, and all of it is under cultivation except about twenty acres which land is used for pasturage. Mr. Lamb was a Baptist, and Mrs. Lamb belongs to this church. He was Republican and served as supervisor of his township, and was capable official and good citizen, and in his death his community suffered a loss.
Landon, Royal A. - a prosperous farmer and stockraiser of Jersey Township, was born in Anderson County, Mo., February 15, 1872. Until he was fifteen years old, Mr. Landon attended the district schools, then entered the Jerseyville High School, and following his completion of its course, went to Dixon College. Having prepared himself for the profession of teaching, he entered the educational field and was engaged in this line for about ten years, first being stationed in Lee County near Dixon, and later in Jersey County. After spending about ten years in this work, Mr. Landon turned his attention to farming and invested in 152 acres of fine land four miles from Jerseyville, and here he is very profitably engaged in farming and stockraising.
Royal A. Landon ws married to Carrie Clatworthy, who was born in Illinois, January 2, 1873, of English parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Landon have had the following children: Luella E., who was born February 2, 1897; Esther L., who was born October 12, 1898; Zoe E., who was born June 9, 1900; Dorothy M., who was born December 28, 1905; Harold C., who was born August 9, 1908; Roy M., who was born April 17, 1911; and Carrie A., who was born December 28, 1913. Mr. Landing has been specializing in raising thoroughbred Jersey cattle, with very satisfactory results. In politics he is a Republican and he has held all of the township offices and proven himself an efficient official. He, his wife and the children are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Landon, William D. - now living retired at Jerseyville, was at one time successful farmer of Jersey County, and still owns a very valuable farm just south of Jerseyville. He was born in English Township, October 22, 1854, a son of William D. and Alvira (Cory) Landon, natives of Vermont. In 1831, William D. Landon, Sr., drove overland to what is now Jersey County, and his wife came to the county in 1833. He bought a farm in English Township, and after his marriage, located on this farm, which he conducted until his death in 1873. His wife survived him until 1904, when she died at the advanced age of ninety years. Their children were as follows: Horace, who lives at Auburn, Ill,; Alice, who is Mrs. B. F. Workman, of Aubrun, Ill.; Mary, who is Mrs. Marion Cowan, a widow, living at Jerseyville; Emma, who is Mrs. Andrews Everts, lives at Jerseyville; William D., and Sarah A., who is the widow of T. S. Chapman, lives at Jerseyville.
William D. Landon attended the Blackburn and Chicago Universities, and when he was twenty-three years old, he bought a farm just south of Jerseyville. From time to time he added to his orginal purchase of 200 acres, until he now owns 360 acres. He has either erected or rebuilt all of the buildings on the place, making them thoroughly modern and convenient. Here he was engaged in farming from 1880 to 1916 when he retired and bought his beautiful residence in Jerseyville, and since then has been enjoying the fruits of his labor. His sons rent the homestead and conduct it.
On February 17, 1881, Mr. Landon was married to Etta B. Updike, born in New Jersey, April 13, 1858, a daughter of Theodore and Ellen (Hill) Updike. Mr. and Mrs. Landon have had the following children born to them: Truella, who died at the age of two years; Leola, who is Mrs. C. W. Henry, of Maryville, Tenn., has had three children, Martha E., and Irma, who are living, and Charles, who is deceased; Leslie A., who lives in Canada; Raymond, who died in infancy; Herbert H., who married Dorothy Bull, and they have a daughter, Dorothy M., and live on the homestead; and Irma A., who died at the age of sixteen years. Mr. Landon is a Republican, and has served as a school director. He is a member of the Baptist Church, which he has served as treasurer for over thirty years. Fraternally, he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Court of Honor. A man of excellent principles and a high sense of honor, he has so lived as to merit the esteem in which he is now held by all who know him.
Lock, Charles Edward - who owns and operates 456 acres of valuable land in Elsah Township, is one of the leading agriculturalists of Jersey County. He was born in Alton, Ill., March 6, 1861, a son of John and Elizabeth (Challacombe) Lock, he born in Devonshire, England, April 18, 1816, and she born in the same place, October 1826. They were married October 4, 1846. On Onvember 25, 1839, John Lock came to Alton, Ill., and during the first year there was engaged in draying. He then became a clerk for G. Lamb, a grocer, and continued with him until 1850, when he went with J. Quarton, another grocer. Still later, John Lock, with a brother, Thomas Lock, embarked in business and they conducted a general store and also engaged in burning lime. Subsequently, John Lock bought 1,400 acres of land in Elash Township, where the now obsolete town of Randolph formerly was. After the construction of the C. P. and St. Louis Railroad, its station in Elsah Township wsa named Lock Haven, in his honor. When he bought the land it was all in timber, but he cleared off the greater part of it, and improved the place consideralby. In 1868, he and his brother sold their place of buisness and in 1870 he moved on his farm, where he built a fine residence and other buildings, and followed farming and stock raising until his death, which occurred August 8, 1878. His widow survived him until 1901. Their children were as follows: Elizabeth, who is Mrs. R. C. Jones of Chicago, Ill.; Grace, who died in 1886, was born in 1852; William, who died in 1872, was born in 1854; Laura H., who is the widow of David Harmon, lives in Riverside, Cal.; Charles E.; and Jessie, who is Mrs. F. C. Riehl of Tacoma, Wash.
Charles E. Lock attended the schools of his district and for six months was student in the University of Illinios. He has always lived on the homestead, and at his father's death inherited a protion of 220 acres. He then bought out the interests of the other heirs in this 220 acres, and added to his land until he now owns 456 acres. On this land he has erected modern buildings and made other valuable improvements, and carries on general farming, and feeds cattle on an extensive scale.
On October 11, 1887, Charles E. Lock was married to Louisa J. Radcliffe, born February 11, 1860, at Toledo, Ohio, a daughter of Thomas and Christina (Cannell) Radcliffe born on the Isle of Man. They came to Ohio, where they were married in 1858, and soon afterward moved to Alton, Ill., where Mrs. Radcliffe died April 18, 1864, and Mr. Radcliffe died May 13, 1902. Mr. and Mrs. Lock became the parents of the following children: John, who was married to Pauline Meyers; Grace, who is at home; Helen, who is Mrs. Robert M. McKee of Alton, Ill., has a son, Robert L.; and Blanche, Charles E. Jr., and Louis H., all of whom are at home. Mr. Lock and his family belong to the Episcopal Church. He stands well in his community.
Loellke, Frank F. - secretary and general manager of the Jerseyville Mercantile Company, is one of the leading business men of the county seat. He was born in Germany, August 24, 1865, a son of Fred H. and Augusta (Berger) Loellke, born in Germany, who in 1867 came to the Untied States, and located at St. Louis, Mo. For two years the father was engaged in doing millwright work, but in 1867, hemoved to Fieldon, Ill., to become head miller for Belt Bros., millrers. There he continued for twenty years, and then bought a farm which he conducted until his death in the spring of 1917. The mother still lives on the farm. Their children were as follows: Otto, who lives at Alton, Ill.; Frank F.; Anna, who is Mrs. F. Rosenthal, of Fieldon, Ill; Minnie, who died at the age of three years; Ida, who is Mrs. William Baum, of Fieldon, Ill.; Elizabeth, who is Mrs. Fred C. Heitzig, of Fieldon, Ill,; and Albert, who lives at Hollywood, Cal.
Frank F. Loellke attended a German school until he was fourteen years old, and then spent two years in the English schools. When he was seventeen years old he entered Greer & Son's College, St. Louis, Mo., and four months later he became a clerk n a general store at Fieldon, so working from 1883 to 1888. In the latter year he and his father bought the business of August J. Kronsbein, and two years later, Frank F. Loellke became the sole proprietor. In 1908, he sold his store to Wheaton Bros., and moved to Jerseyville, where he bought the general store of J. H. Smith. In 1913, he consolidated with the Warren & Wiseman Dry Goods, Co., and H. S. Daniels and J. H. Smith, to found the Jerseyville Mercantile Company, of which the present officials are: H. S. Daniels, President, Fred Giers, Vice-President, Frank F. Loellke, Secretary and General Manager, and F. W. Decker, Treasurer. The company handles all kinds of general merchandise, exclusive of agricultural implements, and controls a fine trade that extends over a wide territory.
On June 4, 1890, Mr. Loellke was married to Carolina Heitzig, born in English Township, a daughter of Fred Heitzig, born in Jersey County. Mr. and Mrs. Loellke have no children. He is a Catholic. In political faith, he is a Republican, and he belongs the to the Community Club. A man of sound judgment and excellent training, he is able to bring to his business a factulty for rendering service that aids very materially in strengthening its hold on the community, and increasing its patronage.
Lowe, Frank I. - now deceased,was at one time one of the leading agriculturalists of Jersey County, and a large landowner of Jersey Township. He was born in Jersey Township, a son of Judge Richard and Sarah (Williamson) Lowe, natives of New Jersey, and very prominent people, who became early settlers of Jersey County. Growing up on the homestead, Frank Lowe attended the local district schools, and took a commercial course at a business college in Madison, Wis.
On March 15, 1888, Frank Lowe was married to Virginia Cress, born at Litchfield, Ill., in July, 1871, a daughter of Martin and Anna (Bridges) Cress, natives of North Carolina and Jerseyville, Ill., respectively. Hiram and Eliza (Bethel) Bridges the pateranl grandparents, were born in Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively, and came to Jersey County, Ill., at a very early day, being counted among its pioneers. After his marriage, Frank Lowe resided on rented land until 1892, when he moved on the old Judge Lowe homestead of 280 acres of land, having bought the interests of the other heirs. On this fine property he engaged in raising cattle and hogs upon an extensive scale, and he also carried on general farming. Here his useful life ended September 14, 1907. He and his wife had the following children born to them: Zella, who is Mrs. Festus Florida of St. Louis, Mo.; Bertha, who is Mrs. C. E. Benson of Miles City, Mont.; Frank I., who is at home. Mr. Lowe was a Democrat. Mrs. Lowe attended the public and high schools of her neighborhood, and is a very intelligent and well informed lady. The family is held in high esteem in the county where its representatives have lived for so many years.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)